PDA

View Full Version : Broncos cut Alridge, Pope, Haynes, Mustard and Russell

montrose
02-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Broncos cut five, including Pope, Alridge
Lindsay H. Jones
By The Denver Post

The Broncos on Wednesday began their off-season roster moves by releasing five offensive players, including three running backs.

The released players are running backs Anthony Alridge, Alex Haynes and P.J. Pope, tight end Chad Mustard and wide receiver Cliff Russell.

Of the three running backs who were cut, only Pope played in a game in 2008. He had 17 carries for 130 yards and scored a receiving touchdown against Buffalo. He was placed on the injured reserve for the final week of the season after injuring his hamstring against the Bills.

Haynes had two brief stints on the active roster but was inactive in two games, including the season finale. Alridge, an undrafted rookie out of Houston, was impressive in training camp but he injured his left foot in the final game of the preseason. He spent the whole season on the injured reserve.

The Broncos had 10 running backs on their roster at the end of the 2008 season, though seven of them were on injured reserve. The remaining backs are Tatum Bell, Cory Boyd both pf whom played in the final game against San Diego Andre Hall, Peyton Hills, Michael Pittman, Ryan Torain and Selvin Young.

Russell played in two games but was placed on IR after injuring his neck on Sept. 29. He had no catches.

Mustard was cut after training camp, re-signed in early October, waived a month later and re-signed again on Nov. 4 after Nate Jackson was placed on IR. He was active in eight games and played primarily on special teams.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11681620

Hotrod
02-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Coach McD are you out of your freaking mind.

Report to Dortohs doghouse ASAP

Paladin
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds like Bobby Turner is reducing his workload a bit.....

Good moves so far.......

montrose
02-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I was really high on Alridge. I imagine we'll be bringing in at least one back to go with the existing crop. One thing the article doesn't mention is that Bell and Pittman are FA's.

theAPAOps5
02-11-2009, 05:00 PM
No Aldridge is the next LT. Paging Lex for his melt down moment.

Sassy
02-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah but is Pittman going to be able to play again?
It was a neck injury wasn't it???

montrose
02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah but is Pittman going to be able to play again?
It was a neck injury wasn't it???

There was a report in the Post that he was ready to play by the end of the season. With that, I find it unlikely he'd be brought back. I'm thinking Hillis, Torain, Selvin and maybe a rookie.

frerottenextelway
02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Good news, Mustard has be re-signed.

Update: He's been cut again.

Broncoman13
02-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I was really high on Alridge. I imagine we'll be bringing in at least one back to go with the existing crop. One thing the article doesn't mention is that Bell and Pittman are FA's.

First move that McD has done that I'm not a fan of thus far. Quick is a great dude and has a lot of what McD likes in his offense. He is dynamic in that he can run the ball and catch the ball well. I hope Quick ends up in Houston with Kubes. That would make me happy and I'm guessing Quick would be happy too.

s0phr0syne
02-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Alridge really seems like someone that could/should be a piece of the puzzle--I'm sad to see him go before McD even got a good view of him through OTAs, TC, minicamp, etc.

Besides that, all the other cuts are no brainers.

cmhargrove
02-11-2009, 05:09 PM
This isn't an official thread you bastages.

Not official.

It didn't officially happen yet.... not in this thread...

Officially.

Gcver2ver3
02-11-2009, 05:11 PM
i liked alridge...

i figured we will add a RB or two, but i was curious to see what he and Hillis as a combo backfield could do...

2KBack
02-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm with the majority on the dissapointment about Alridge.

Another thing that stands out is that Pope ran really well before his injury. Keeping boyd over Pope seems odd to me.

Hogan11
02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
So they cut Alridge, Haynes and Pope...and yet Tatum Bell remains? ???

Killericon
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM

I think Bell was only on a one year deal, and as such, he's just going to have his contract expire.

Hogan11
02-11-2009, 05:24 PM
I think Bell was only on a one year deal, and as such, he's just going to have his contract expire.

I hope you're right.

broncofan7
02-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Alridge in space was dynamite. He got the corner AT WILL this pre season. I personally am a little disappointed that he MAY NOT get a chance with us in Training camp if he signs with someone else.

montrose
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
First move that McD has done that I'm not a fan of thus far. Quick is a great dude and has a lot of what McD likes in his offense. He is dynamic in that he can run the ball and catch the ball well. I hope Quick ends up in Houston with Kubes. That would make me happy and I'm guessing Quick would be happy too.

Yeah, I don't understand not bringing him into camp for a look. Also, do we know this is a "McDaniels move" or "Goodman move"?

bronco militia
02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
everyone should be prepared for Hillis to be the only remaining back in 2009...

you heard it here 1st

SonOfLe-loLang
02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I really liked Alridge. Very productive in college, has a unique skill set that is highly coveted in today's NFL, can catch out of the backfield, was great last preseason....wish they'd keep him around and let him compete

Los Broncos
02-11-2009, 05:48 PM
The Mustard is off the hot dog, again!

Rock Chalk
02-11-2009, 05:59 PM
There was a report in the Post that he was ready to play by the end of the season. With that, I find it unlikely he'd be brought back. I'm thinking Hillis, Torain, Selvin and maybe a rookie.

I hope Bell gets at least an invite to camp. Just because of the way he played in the last game against SD.

Or did he get cut already?

jayman_37
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I really thought alridge could have been similar to what Chris Johnson was for the Titans. Probably not on the same level, but their speed was tremendous and if you give them a crease they can bust a long one.

cutthemdown
02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Meh bunch of scrubs.

chaz
02-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Why wouldn't Aldridge be kept around? He won't clear cap room and we don't need the roster spot...

Doesn't make sense not to give him a shot unless there is some underlying info (missing rehab etc...)

maher_tyler
02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
No Aldridge is the next LT. Paging Lex for his melt down moment.

I would have liked to see what he could do as a 3DRB or whatever...seems like a sproles type of guy to me.

BroncoBuff
02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Wow ... real news.

Cue: Aldridge-Lovers' Rampage ....

I'm not an Aldridge acolyte, but I would like to have seen him play a bit before we offed him. A handful of carries, a few returns, some damn thing.

montrose
02-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I hope Bell gets at least an invite to camp. Just because of the way he played in the last game against SD.

Or did he get cut already?

Bell's a free agent.

I really thought alridge could have been similar to what Chris Johnson was for the Titans. Probably not on the same level, but their speed was tremendous and if you give them a crease they can bust a long one.

I thought Sproles was a more favorable comparison, although I'm not familiar with his pass-receiving skills.

Why wouldn't Aldridge be kept around? He won't clear cap room and we don't need the roster spot...

Doesn't make sense not to give him a shot unless there is some underlying info (missing rehab etc...)

It does seem bizarre.

I would have liked to see what he could do as a 3DRB or whatever...seems like a sproles type of guy to me.

I thought the same thing. At a minimum, I figured he was worth giving a look in camp.

jayman_37
02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I thought Sproles was a more favorable comparison, although I'm not familiar with his pass-receiving skills.

I thought of Sproles also, but I feel like his body type doesn't really compare with sproles. Sproles is a little squattier and thicker than alridge.

Denver724
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I am bummed about the Alridge cut. I thought he would have something to offer. Gosh he ran for over 100 in the final pre-season game. One would think he would have at least got a look. There may be more to the story.

DBroncos4life
02-11-2009, 08:00 PM

LOL Bell had more yards against SD the all three of those turd nuggets careers.

cartel
02-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Fine with me, let's cut more on the def. to make room for some vets.

bowtown
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
How many more of these ridiculous moves do we have to give McDaniels, before we admit that his ways are stale and we need some fresh blood?

theAPAOps5
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
How many more of these ridiculous moves do we have to give McDaniels, before we admit that his ways are stale and we need some fresh blood?

Well Shanny had about 100,000,000,000 of them so I would say start there!

HEAV
02-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Anthony Alridge = Lisfranc injury

P.J. Pope was a nice story, but come one he was a street free agent and only was on the team due to injuries.

Mustard "Ding dong the witch is dead, the wicked witch" His spells may have worked on Shanny, but not on McDaddy!

BroncoMan4ever
02-11-2009, 08:59 PM
looks like RB will be chosen no later than the 3rd round, or he has decided Hillis is the man.

broncosteven
02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Coach McD are you out of your freaking mind.

Report to Dortohs doghouse ASAP

This is a good sign, this means nothing is changing and Chad will be in and out of Dove valley as frequently as Oleg was in and out of Gulags.

broncosteven
02-11-2009, 09:02 PM
LOL Bell had more yards against SD the all three of those turd nuggets careers.

TB = next Kevin Faulk.

theAPAOps5
02-11-2009, 09:02 PM

I agree he had the speed to make you go hmmm. But one thing is clear with McDaniels. Speed and finesse aren't going to cut it. He wants strong, tough, hard nosed football players. That really limits Aldrige's potential then.

bowtown
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Well Shanny had about 100,000,000,000 of them so I would say start there!

Go check out the WRP forum, that's not how it works around here.

broncosteven
02-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree he had the speed to make you go hmmm. But one thing is clear with McDaniels. Speed and finesse aren't going to cut it. He wants strong, tough, hard nosed football players. That really limits Aldrige's potential then.

I thought Patsys were all finess, on O.

They ran out of passing formations and threw a lot of quick screens to every position and place on the field.

Lots of quick slants, gos, daggers to welcher, and deep fly and posts to moss.

Their D was pretty tough, there they were all vets who were diciplined and knew their assignments. they were not a speed D, they punish people though. I hope if he brings anything to Denver he brings a power D.

DBroncos4life
02-11-2009, 10:39 PM
TB = next Kevin Faulk.

maybe not but he is a guy that has atleast 15 NFL caries to his name. Tatum earned a camp trip with what he did vs SD. Everyone loves to hate him and I understand that but he is way more talented then those scrubs that got cut.

footstepsfrom#27
02-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah I'm a little puzzled with this move also. I don't really understand cuts before these guys even line up for a drill in minicamp.

Sassy
02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah I'm a little puzzled with this move also. I don't really understand cuts before these guys even line up for a drill in minicamp.

Making a little cash for Julius Peppers ;D Ha!

footstepsfrom#27
02-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Making a little cash for Julius Peppers ;D Ha!
I doubt cutting rookie FA's is going to contribute much to that.

Sassy
02-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I doubt cutting rookie FA's is going to contribute much to that.

I know...just being a smartass ;D
I really should be going to bed...I get goofy when I'm tired :rofl:

DBroncos4life
02-11-2009, 10:50 PM

really worried that they won't get time off from what ever food service place they might land a job at are you?

Doggcow
02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
McDaniels you gutless drunk!

footstepsfrom#27
02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
really worried that they won't get time off from what ever food service place they might land a job at are you?
Alridge was super productive in college and has elite speed and quickness. He'll probably get his shot somewhere. Predicting failure for him seems pretty premature, especially since he busted out in his only preseason opportunity. It wouldn't surprise me if he lands in Houston with Kubes.

DBroncos4life
02-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Alridge was super productive in college and has elite speed and quickness. He'll probably get his shot somewhere. Predicting failure for him seems pretty premature, especially since he busted out in his only preseason opportunity. It wouldn't surprise me if he lands in Houston with Kubes.

Guys like him are a dime a dozen. As at stands now he has never taken a NFL snap and I don't think it is going to be that hard to get him back.

footstepsfrom#27
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Guys like him are a dime a dozen. As at stands now he has never taken a NFL snap and I don't think it is going to be that hard to get him back.
"Guys like him"? Nobody knows what he's got yet, so how can you assume that? I don't know if the guy will play in the NFL or not but he has skills.

DBroncos4life
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM
"Guys like him"? Nobody knows what he's got yet, so how can you assume that? I don't know if the guy will play in the NFL or not but he has skills.

then I think you just answered your own question on why he was cut. He is just another body in the NFL.

footstepsfrom#27
02-11-2009, 11:18 PM
then I think you just answered your own question on why he was cut. He is just another body in the NFL.
No you're trying to answer it that way.

DBroncos4life
02-11-2009, 11:23 PM
No you're trying to answer it that way.

how is a guy that has never taken a game snap going to be so hard to resign if needed? Tatum Bell has rushed for over a 1000 yards and prior to that year he had over 900 and he worked at a cell phone store. I'm sorry I don't see this guy going anywhere that we can't bring back.

footstepsfrom#27
02-11-2009, 11:30 PM
how is a guy that has never taken a game snap going to be so hard to resign if needed? Tatum Bell has rushed for over a 1000 yards and prior to that year he had over 900 and he worked at a cell phone store. I'm sorry I don't see this guy going anywhere that we can't bring back.
I didn't say he'd be hard to bring back, but since you bring it up, it's possible he chooses to go elsewhere. I just said I think he might have a future in the league and I'm sorry to see him go.

DBroncos4life
02-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I didn't say he'd be hard to bring back, but since you bring it up, it's possible he chooses to go elsewhere. I just said I think he might have a future in the league and I'm sorry to see him go.

Well I guess I looked at it from a different way I guess. We cut a guy with no career NFL snaps. Its no different then trying to hide a player that you like on the PS to me right now because no one is going to go after him and even if they do they have to place him on the active roster during the season if we love him to hide him from us.

footstepsfrom#27
02-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Well I guess I looked at it from a different way I guess. We cut a guy with no career NFL snaps.
What difference does that make? Plenty of NFL players sit on the PS their first year.
Its no different then trying to hide a player that you like on the PS to me right now because no one is going to go after him and even if they do they have to place him on the active roster during the season if we love him to hide him from us.
This guy had one shot in preseason and performed well when he got it. He has NFL skills and played well in college. There's no reason to think he won't get picked up. Maybe he sticks here...maybe he doesn't. My only point is that it seems odd he gets cut before camp even opens. On a team screaming for RB's I expected him to at least get a look by the new staff.

DBroncos4life
02-12-2009, 12:28 AM
What difference does that make? Plenty of NFL players sit on the PS their first year.

This guy had one shot in preseason and performed well when he got it. He has NFL skills and played well in college. There's no reason to think he won't get picked up. Maybe he sticks here...maybe he doesn't. My only point is that it seems odd he gets cut before camp even opens. On a team screaming for RB's I expected him to at least get a look by the new staff.

He played well in is ONE shot in ONE preason game. 32 teams have tons of film to go over and over. Its not odd that a guy that has done NOTHING gets cut during the first cut. It would be odd if a guy that proved his roster spot got cut before a guy that did nothing got cut.

Look at it this way if a guy walks into your place of work just looked the part and your boss fired someone because of this guy would you not question what the hell is going on?

footstepsfrom#27
02-12-2009, 12:32 AM
He played well in is ONE shot in ONE preason game. 32 teams have tons of film to go over and over. Its not odd that a guy that has done NOTHING gets cut during the first cut. It would be odd if a guy that proved his roster spot got cut before a guy that did nothing got cut.

Look at it this way if a guy walks into your place of work just looked the part and your boss fired someone because of this guy would you not question what the hell is going on?
It's February...a few days after the Super Bowl. Why cut ANYONE yet?

chaz
02-12-2009, 12:34 AM

Actually, no. Guys who have not gotten a chance yet are usually kept around to see what they have (why most udfa's stick around til the end of camp). The vets who just don't have what it takes get cut first. footsteps makes a lot more sense than you do here...

DBroncos4life
02-12-2009, 12:34 AM

Why not? People that have been to the Pro Bowl have been cut already.

footstepsfrom#27
02-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Why not? People that have been to the Pro Bowl have been cut already.
Salary motivated cuts make sense. This guy makes chump change.

DBroncos4life
02-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Salary motivated cuts make sense. This guy makes chump change.

when you are 40 plus million under the cap does anyone ever fall under a salary move? Maybe the new coach didn't think it was a problem letting a guy with 0 nfl carries go.

footstepsfrom#27
02-12-2009, 12:54 AM
when you are 40 plus million under the cap does anyone ever fall under a salary move? Maybe the new coach didn't think it was a problem letting a guy with 0 nfl carries go.
Whatever dude...shall we debate this UDFA for another 40 posts?

DBroncos4life
02-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Whatever dude...shall we debate this UDFA for another 40 posts?

anything to help me catch spider

footstepsfrom#27
02-12-2009, 01:05 AM
anything to help me catch spider
Well good luck with that.

Requiem
02-12-2009, 01:49 AM
ALl these guyS wer LoSers.

TDmvp
02-12-2009, 03:16 AM
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4458/lombarditrophywl9.jpg
ROFL! ROFL! ROFL!

Nothing shocking tho besides not at least getting a look at Aldridge maybe they know more then fans .... and with injuries you never know all these guys may be broncos again if they are worth anything ....

watermock
02-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Jezus C. Weve been letting scrubs around so long. Chad Jackson wasn't cut, yet.

We need about 8 starters on D to go 3/4.

Do the math.

Broncos_OTM
02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
What is lame is that NOone i thought needed to be released got the axe.

Boss Bailey What is up with him. his knee destroyed how did he make it.

DRobertson. Are they working on a restructure?

is josh on the phone with BB trying to work on a deal for Wilfork muahha

Purge this team of the old farts that cant play no more.

Those younger guys were cheap and should have atleast made it to OTA's

Broncos_OTM
02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Jezus C. Weve been letting scrubs around so long. Chad Jackson wasn't cut, yet.

We need about 8 starters on D to go 3/4.

Do the math.
Isnt Chad a FA?

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 09:01 AM
What is lame is that NOone i thought needed to be released got the axe.

Boss Bailey What is up with him. his knee destroyed how did he make it.

DRobertson. Are they working on a restructure?

is josh on the phone with BB trying to work on a deal for Wilfork muahha

Purge this team of the old farts that cant play no more.

Those younger guys were cheap and should have atleast made it to OTA's

There will be more changes to come. It's not like this is the only offseason moves were making. It's only the middle of February.

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I thought Patsys were all finess, on O.

They ran out of passing formations and threw a lot of quick screens to every position and place on the field.

Lots of quick slants, gos, daggers to welcher, and deep fly and posts to moss.

Their D was pretty tough, there they were all vets who were diciplined and knew their assignments. they were not a speed D, they punish people though. I hope if he brings anything to Denver he brings a power D.

My comment was more directed at what McDaniels said in his interviews here in Denver. But I do see your point.

cmhargrove
02-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Honestly, it's a very decent thing for the team to do. Release the players early so they can be on another team's radar.

It helps them find their next job...

USMCBladerunner
02-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Like others, the only one that surprises me is Alridge, but there may be something about his health we don't know, or perhaps McDaniels just sees no place for him in the offense and cut him loose in time for the free agency period.

Not all pre-season stars become real players, but it's usually worth giving them a shot. Woodyard and Alridge were the rookie standouts of the preseason.

TheChamp24
02-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I think its funny how much hype Alridge has on here.

HEAV
02-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Anthony Alridge = Lisfranc injury

USMCBladerunner
02-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I think its funny how much hype Alridge has on here.

I don't know about everybody, but for me it's because the only time I got to see him he was doing good things on the field. I had no expectation that he would become a star or even a starter, but I guess I would have expected an additional opportunity.

I view this whole thing as very low impact, but I didn't expect him to be cut before OTAs and camp.