PDA

View Full Version : Possible FA Target: Tully Banta-Cain

montrose
02-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Released yesterday - http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/10/SP0T15RPTR.DTL&type=49ers

Banta-Cain is a SOLB with experience playing for Mike Nolan in San Francisco and with Josh McDaniels in New England. Considering he's likely to come with a cheap price-tag and knows Nolan's 30-front, he could be a possiblity to be brought in and compete at the SOLB position.

cmhargrove
02-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Released yesterday - http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/10/SP0T15RPTR.DTL&type=49ers

Banta-Cain is a SOLB with experience playing for Mike Nolan in San Francisco and with Josh McDaniels in New England. Considering he's likely to come with a cheap price-tag and knows Nolan's 30-front, he could be a possiblity to be brought in and compete at the SOLB position.

Not too exciting, but when you look at dumping a hack like Webster for an over-the-hill player, I guess it comes out a little positive on our side.

We do need some experienced bodies, but we also need good young blood to start a rebuilding project.

oubronco
02-11-2009, 08:25 AM
NO old guy's we are in a youth movement

illbroncsfn
02-11-2009, 08:32 AM
a possible cheap addition to the defense.... As I recall, Banta-Cain was a solid special teams player in NE.

rugbythug
02-11-2009, 08:40 AM

Youth for youth's sake is a looser.

Fusionfrontman
02-11-2009, 08:54 AM
We need some veteran leadership too guys. Veteran stop gap players would be ideal for certain positions

SoDak Bronco
02-11-2009, 09:06 AM
this guy sucks

Drek
02-11-2009, 09:26 AM

We need some vets who're comfortable in the system to help the young guys come along.

Banta-Cain is a good example of that because he's not too old, will be cheap, and is familiar with both our HC and our DC. As long as he knows he's in a rotation, probably with Dumervil, he could have some good value.

Br0nc0Buster
02-11-2009, 09:51 AM
We should bring him in
He knows how to play in a 3-4
He knows the system that Nolan and McDaniels are going to run
He could provide depth and STs play

He isnt going to be a gamechanger, but he is still prolly better than Moss and Crowder

SoDak Bronco
02-11-2009, 09:59 AM
We should bring him in
He knows how to play in a 3-4
He knows the system that Nolan and McDaniels are going to run
He could provide depth and STs play

He isnt going to be a gamechanger, but he is still prolly better than Moss and Crowder

Not sure if you have seen this guy play or not? But they are def. not any worse than this guy. He is slow and can't get off tackles. Atleast Moss and Crowder...nevermind.

Houshyamama
02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a Wookie.

Br0nc0Buster
02-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Not sure if you have seen this guy play or not? But they are def. not any worse than this guy. He is slow and can't get off tackles. Atleast Moss and Crowder...nevermind.

Yes I have seen him play.
The fact that he even gets activated makes him better than Crowder right now
And Moss doesnt ever do anything.

But I think he would be more valuable because he could help guys figure it out easier.
He knows the system, he should be cheap.
If you think Moss and Crowder are better, well that is your opinion, but you dont really have any grounds to support that claim

HEAV
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
He was a free agent bust and Nolan was down on the guy. No way he makes it to Denver.

Flex Gunmetal
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM

We are NE West, now. I expect this team to get older with some solid vets. Hopefully we continue to draft well.

oubronco
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I guess what I meant was no more Darryl Gardeners or Simeon Rice types they were past there primes and weren't worth the trouble I would prefer younger hungry players insted and I think they finally have gotten their collective heads out of their asses at drafting so I hope they keep it up

Great13
02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
While I'm in agreement that he's an average player... what I would like to know is when did playing 6 years in the league and being 28 constitute being old? I could maybe agree if he was a speed RB.. but we can't continue to sign super young players while getting rid of the older vets. This team is young enough and needs to be balanced out with veteran experience in the locker room and on the field.

gyldenlove
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I am 28 and I am young and spry. I am a lot younger and sprier than when I was 22, so if anyone says that 28 is old they can go soak their head.

montrose
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't think Banta-Cain is a long-term guy at the SOLB spot by any means. But if he were to come in on a cheap deal, he could be a nice backup who knows the system and if I remember correctly - is a solid special teamer.