PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the wrong thing??????

PaintballCLE
02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
AND NO THIS THREAD WASN"T CREATED BY SPIDER!!!!

So I am currently at a job........not the greatest........but stabe (work for a state college) So i also get to go to school for free......so once i finish up I plan on leaving anyways.

So with that being said........I am the newest employee they have (and ive been there 7 years) My boss comes up to me and offers me a supervisor job........great huh? Theres a catch: It's a majority on the weekends.......

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday
and 12 hours on either friday or monday (my choice)

well what did I do?

I told him no......because then i wouldn't be able to go to all the Broncos games........

He was kinda pissed.....and the rest of the day he didn't talk to me.

Looking back..... I probably should have made up another excuse......but I was just being honest.......

The Broncos ALWAYS come first.....

SO do you think I ****ed up?

UPDATE:
So I emailed him......thinking i could explain myself more.......basically what he said is this: I don't understand your love for the Broncos.....because......well they SUCK! =o) But I know you are young and your priorities aren't up to par yet....... but you are still my best worker and I appreciate that!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spider
02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
no you didnt .....nothing worse then doing something you dont want to do .........

Crushaholic
02-09-2009, 08:34 PM
We have about 7 months before the next Broncos game. Maybe you could have tried out the new hours until then. Maybe that would have parlayed you into another position by the time Broncos football begins. It's a thought...

Spider
02-09-2009, 08:36 PM
We have about 7 months before the next Broncos game. Maybe you could have tried out the new hours until then. Maybe that would have parlayed you into another position by the time Broncos football begins. It's a thought...

But then you are putting the supervisor in a position of searching for a new replacement in 7 months ......... be honest and open up front , save everyone a head ache down the road

Sassy
02-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Yep...that was my thought too.

Spider
02-09-2009, 08:39 PM
so there is 2 people for taking the dishonest road ..........

skpac1001
02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Since you are the junior employee there and your boss is pissed you didn't take it, it makes me suspicious that its a crap job that everyone is refusing.

NeverBeenToDenver
02-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Weekend jobs SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Refreshing honesty, IMO. You could've kept the Broncos part to yourself and still been on the good side (I'm not really into long weekend hours, but thanks for the offer, sir), but I don't know you and you should sleep just fine.

Broncojef
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
If its not a perfect job making tons of money I think you did the right thing, especially if you are young (sounds like you are). That being said sometimes you must sacrifice the things you love most to be in a comfortable position later in life. Its nice you have the choice now in life, later when a wife and kids are depending on your salary the Broncos won't loom quite so large.

bowtown
02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
You shouldn't even have offered any excuse at all. Just one of these:

http://www.yenican.com/images/selfdefense_004_257m.jpg

theAPAOps5
02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
No employer expects to hear No because of the Broncos. Thats just not a typical excuse. While its very valid to you it is a trivial and selfish point to others. Most would give anything to have a supervisor position even if it meant weekends. I bet the last thing your boss expected to hear was no and it just compounded things when you gave him the reason.

I applaud the honesty but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get that opportunity again. My question to you is this. Is one year of Broncos football worth bettering your life and well being? I sacrificed numerous games and seasons because my job demanded it. In the long run it was worth it. Just don't look back and say man I was dumb to pass that up.

dbfan4life
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Seems like being student, a weekend gig would be ideal. I work my 40 M-F like most and take a full load of classes. Being able to not have to juggle that all M-F would be great. I would have the peace and quiet to study during the week and then get to spend a little time with the family. The Broncos will still be there when I graduate. But that's just me.

ØrangeÇrush
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
your boss was trying to offload a bunch of crappy hours on to you and was giving you a <air quote> supervisor </air quote> position to make you think it was a step up.

Use them for school and get the f out of that job!

bronco610
02-09-2009, 09:08 PM

So I am currently at a job........not the greatest........but stabe (work for a state college) So i also get to go to school for free......so once i finish up I plan on leaving anyways.

So with that being said........I am the newest employee they have (and ive been there 7 years) My boss comes up to me and offers me a supervisor job........great huh? Theres a catch: It's a majority on the weekends.......

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

I told him no......because then i wouldn't be able to go to all the Broncos games........

Looking back..... I probably should have made up another excuse......but I was just being honest.......

You did exactly the right thing. Sorry but in the last 15 years have not missed a game. When I wasn't working for myself all my bosses knew if denver was on don't expecty me to work. After the game I wasn't fit for work win or lose.:thumbsup:

theAPAOps5
02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I was always in a job where if I wasn't at home I had the game on TV. But I still think that getting yourself set in life is way more important than scheduling your life around something that doesn't pay or reward you on regular basis.

The NFL is a great release from the real world but don't let it become your reality unless you are making it your job.

NeverBeenToDenver
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
He already stated it wasn't his ambition. I assume it has very little to do with his future...although he (or she) can forget about a letter of recommendation!

theAPAOps5
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I agree if its really just a college job they can eat a dick. But if it could bite you in the ass and somehow preclude you from finishing school then I would rethink things. Why change jobs if it works around school and your passion? Other than that its pretty simple. My original point was just don't let it stop you from furthering yourself in life. If that isn't the case then **** them.

PaintballCLE
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
your boss was trying to offload a bunch of crappy hours on to you and was giving you a <air quote> supervisor </air quote> position to make you think it was a step up.

Use them for school and get the f out of that job!

there is a day shift supv, evening shift supv, and weekend supv.......the order of ranking would be:

Director
Super intendant
Day supv
Night supv
Weekend supv
peon 1
peon 2 ect...........

though with that being said...........he did ask me first because he always said i go above and beyond expectations.......so i think he kinda took it like a slap in the face that i didn't take it............but i just had to be honest with him.....obviously he knows i love the broncos.......he gave me every monday off this past season so i could make all 16.

Taco John
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

If you don't care that you'll never be taken serious there and won't be able to use him as a reference, then you did the right thing. Also, he's going to do everything he can to replace you now.

PaintballCLE
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I agree if its really just a college job they can bend me over a rock. But if it could bite you in the ass and somehow preclude you from finishing school then I would rethink things. Why change jobs if it works around school and your passion? Other than that its pretty simple. My original point was just don't let it stop you from furthering yourself in life. If that isn't the case then **** them.

yeah i agree.........i mean i guess if they lay people off i would be first.....since i am the newest........where if i was a supervisor all the peons would have to go first.......

And its not just a student job......its a full time job at the college......fullt ime state employee.....

PaintballCLE
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
See update above.......

bronco610
02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I was always in a job where if I wasn't at home I had the game on TV. But I still think that getting yourself set in life is way more important than scheduling your life around something that doesn't pay or reward you on regular basis.

The NFL is a great release from the real world but don't let it become your reality unless you are making it your job.

NONSENSE !! DENVER BRONCOS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN REAL LIFE !!!

Los Broncos
02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
With the way things are now I would have taken it.

Maybe things would have changed come start of the new season.

baja
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

UPDATE:
So I emailed him......thinking i could explain myself more.......basically what he said is this: I don't understand your love for the Broncos.....because......well they SUCK! =o) But I know you are young and your priorities aren't up to par yet....... but you are still my best worker and I appreciate that!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TeVo dude.

Kaylore
02-09-2009, 10:08 PM
It's TiVo, Baja.

PaintballCLE
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
TeVo dude.
Tivo......screw TV.........I'm there in person!

SouthStndJunkie
02-09-2009, 10:28 PM
If you are not planning on making a career of it, then no big deal.

There is a lot more to life than chasing a few more bucks.

You cannot put a price on your free time and the things that you enjoy.

Taco John
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
When I was in college, I would never work on Sundays for this very reason. I always told my employer that it was a study day, and that they could have any other day but Sunday, day or night from me, because studies came first.

They mostly bought it.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2009, 11:32 PM
You shouldn't even have offered any excuse at all. Just one of these:

http://www.yenican.com/images/selfdefense_004_257m.jpg

agreed, he needs a punch in the throat and a kick in the nads for talking **** about the Broncos.

i rank life this way

1 air
2 women
3 broncos

however on sundays 2 and 3 flip flop

24champ
02-09-2009, 11:38 PM
I applaud Bleed here for what he did. A lot of people are baffled in this thread because they don't have the balls to do what he did. He shouldn't have to take a job he doesn't want because it takes away one thing he loves to do.

24champ
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Don't listen to this guy.

Success in life comes from figuring out who you are and what you want from life, and then going out and getting it.

I've been around so many people who think that if they go to the "right" school and take the "right" major they will get the "right" job and this in turn will lead to the "right" life or "get set for life". But you know what those people realize a few years later when they are sitting in their cubicles doing pointless bull****? That's not the way it works.

Live for yourself.

Dedhed
02-10-2009, 02:44 AM
That being said sometimes you must sacrifice the things you love most to be in a comfortable position later in life. Its nice you have the choice now in life, later when a wife and kids are depending on your salary the Broncos won't loom quite so large.

Integrity always wins out in the end. People are brow beaten by our society into believing they have to destroy themselves to be "safe and comfortable later in life", it's the corporate credo. All that really accomplishes is creating hordes of miserable people who are waiting for their life to get to some magical point.

Usually it never gets to that point, and they're miserable and bitter in the meantime for having given up everything they love. I always applaud honesty, especially when it expresses an opinion that isn't the status quo.

Don't worry, you'll be offered many more opportunities to sell yourself out.

SleepingTiger
02-10-2009, 03:14 AM

Success in life comes from figuring out who you are and what you want from life, and then going out and getting it.

I've been around so many people who think that if they go to the "right" school and take the "right" major they will get the "right" job and this in turn will lead to the "right" life or "get set for life". But you know what those people realize a few years later when they are sitting in their cubicles doing pointless bull****? That's not the way it works.

Live for yourself.

i know so many people who did't go to the "right" school, didn't take the "right" major and don't get the right "job" (because they didn't go to the right school or get the right major) and is either unemployed or working some pitiful job making minimum wage. your way of thinking is too idealistic... might of worked for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

SleepingTiger
02-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Integrity always wins out in the end. People are brow beaten by our society into believing they have to destroy themselves to be "safe and comfortable later in life", it's the corporate credo. All that really accomplishes is creating hordes of miserable people who are waiting for their life to get to some magical point.

Usually it never gets to that point, and they're miserable and bitter in the meantime for having given up everything they love. I always applaud honesty, especially when it expresses an opinion that isn't the status quo.

are you kidding me about selling yourself out?? ****, you make it as if he is doing some illegal trading or something. i would ****en kill to have a 4day weekend. work 3 days and have 4 days off would be magical. and those 4 days... don't worry, i wont be miserable!!

TheReverend
02-10-2009, 05:07 AM
It's TiVo, Baja.

Not the mexican version. :D

theAPAOps5
02-10-2009, 05:37 AM

Live for yourself.

HA you assume I went to the right school and made all the right choices. But you are wrong it took transferring in my Junior year and pissing off my family and doing it on my own to be happy. So I am more like you ALF, but I still think he should tread lightly.

Broncoman13
02-10-2009, 05:51 AM
You probably would have been better off saying the same thing but in a different context. Make him believe you were declining for his benefit rather than just your own personal agenda. Something along the lines of, "Sir, I'd love to take the position but my heart wouldn't be in it. I would be distracted, especially on Sundays and you wouldn't get my best work which is why you're offering me this position in the first place." He may retort with, "one day your priorities will change." And, then you would say, "I'm sure they will but it will be long after Jay Cutler is retired and the Broncos will have won three more superbowls!!!"

alkemical
02-10-2009, 06:17 AM

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

UPDATE:

I would have taken the job. If i didn't like it, i'd try to move into another position.

cmhargrove
02-10-2009, 06:28 AM

Well said.

If you really are his best employee, he will find ways to use you.

Keep finding ways to help the company, and make yourself indispensible and you will be..... well, indispensible. He'll forgive you for the weekend shift.

Maybe you could offer to take a lighter shift on the weekends, or work in a rotation? Then you still hold the cards, but show that you'll step a little out of your comfort zone to help the company?

Anyway, nothing wrong with deciding not to work weekends. I own a retail business where I could make buttloads of money by being open on Saturday. I choose to hang out with my family instead. I have never regretted not having a Mercedes...

Peoples Champ
02-10-2009, 06:46 AM
I would say you did the right thing with being Honest. The truth will set you free.

Employers need to know that work comes with play. If you have no life outside of work, you will lead a misrable life and also become less productive at work. They need to understand the work/life balance. If nobody there cannot see it, then screw it, move to Colorado and become a ski bum.

vancejohnson82
02-10-2009, 06:55 AM
no way....I was in a similar situation last year...I was going to school for free and just using the job as temporary income...

whenever the opportunity came up for a step up in rank (and responsibility) I turned it down because to me, the job was nothing more than a stepping stone and it wasnt worth sacrificing the other thigns I had going on (broncos, independent filmmaking, etc..)

Good move.

crawdad
02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Don't worry IBOB, you are still young and there is time. Success requires sacrifice to some degree in every career path. You are a hard worker and your opportunities will present themselves.

Dukes
02-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Take the job, and get a DVR. You won't know when you'll get that chance again.

alkemical
02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Not to mention, i'd kill for a 3 day work week. It's funny...when i was a bit younger - weekends off mattered so much....Then as my industry fluxed and failed - i ended up working lots of "off" shifts".

Now... I'd be happy with a job that has ANY benefit. I get straight hr/pay. No bene's, no PDO/PTO, etc - I'm white collar day labor.

I'd take the promotion. Beef up my resume, learn what i could and move on, or move up. I understand in balancing life, etc - but IMO - it's just "football". If you are that passionate about being a fan, good for you.

But remember, it's still just a game - and you can't be serious about a game. (Now, am i talking the broncos - or life).

Do what you will, but remember - action/reaction - cause/effect. Do now, pay later. There are all kinds of lines to walk. Pick one, and be happy with it. Don't regret anything you DIDN'T do, only regret what you did. ;)

Oh, and like when playing an instrument.... When you make a mistake, hit it like you mean it. Don't hesitate or let up. Most people won't notice. ;)

Tombstone RJ
02-10-2009, 08:38 AM

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

UPDATE:

My response to his return email would be simple. I'd say that part of the reason I am his best worker is because I get to spend the weekends unwinding and watching the Broncos. If I can't do that, then some of the luster of this job may be sacrificed, and I don't want that.

As for his opinion of the Broncos, just tell him he's the one with fugged up priorities, wink, wink.

TheReverend
02-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Not to mention, i'd kill for a 3 day work week. It's funny...when i was a bit younger - weekends off mattered so much....Then as my industry fluxed and failed - i ended up working lots of "off" shifts".

Now... I'd be happy with a job that has ANY benefit. I get straight hr/pay. No bene's, no PDO/PTO, etc - I'm white collar day labor.

I'd take the promotion. Beef up my resume, learn what i could and move on, or move up. I understand in balancing life, etc - but IMO - it's just "football". If you are that passionate about being a fan, good for you.

But remember, it's still just a game - and you can't be serious about a game. (Now, am i talking the broncos - or life).

Do what you will, but remember - action/reaction - cause/effect. Do now, pay later. There are all kinds of lines to walk. Pick one, and be happy with it. Don't regret anything you DIDN'T do, only regret what you did. ;)

Oh, and like when playing an instrument.... When you make a mistake, hit it like you mean it. Don't hesitate or let up. Most people won't notice. ;)

Mr Crowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwley

alkemical
02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Mr Crowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwley

lol - that is a good song... ;)

There is wisdom to be found in 93. ;) Not all good, and sometimes - you need to understand/take in - some of your "bad" to find out what is "good".

The whole mirror thing... ;)

crawdad
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Clavi, I saw your boys "Kings of Leon" on Carson Daly last night! My brother made Jimmy Kimmel live on Feb 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgKNVVPIwDU

24champ
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
i know so many people who did't go to the "right" school, didn't take the "right" major and don't get the right "job" (because they didn't go to the right school or get the right major) and is either unemployed or working some pitiful job making minimum wage. your way of thinking is too idealistic... might of worked for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Nobody said it was going to be easy following your path to what you want to do. What it comes down to is whether you have the courage and will to do it, see Bleed.

For example, I have a really good friend who wanted to be a sportswriter, it is his passion. For awhile he worked in the corporate world. He worked for a bank and raked in good money. However he hated it, and then one day he decided he was going to take some journalism classes and then later on attended some sportswriter convention. Gradually though he started moving toward what he wanted to do and eventually he got a job working for a sports team in the minor leagues, it paid jack shiat. He lived out of a crummy apartment and currently moving up to better paying jobs. He carved out his own path, it wasn't easy but he is doing it. I also know he is happy doing what he wants to do.

There's no instruction sheet for your life, if that is something you need to figure things out, then being a monkey in the corporate world is how you will end up.

You have to decide what type of person you want to be. Do you want to be just another number...or do you want to be one of those people who lived their life on their terms. I have found people that are truly happy are the ones that have done what they wanted to do. Not what they are "supposed" to do.

Meck77
02-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Live for yourself.

Amen. I was in a similar position 10 years ago. I quit my job and moved back to Colorado just to get to Broncos games. Things worked out just fine. I'd probably still be wearing a suit and tie sitting behind a desk 10 hrs a day had I not wanted to be closer to the Broncos.

Sassy
02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Amen. I was in a similar position 10 years ago. I quit my job and moved back to Colorado just to get to Broncos games. Things worked out just fine. I'd probably still be wearing a suit and tie sitting behind a desk 10 hrs a day had I not wanted to be closer to the Broncos.

Aren't Weddings, fishing trips, the springs...much more calm and relaxing! :welcome:

To be successful is to enjoy what your doing and taking the time to enjoy life!

SleepingTiger
02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Nobody said it was going to be easy following your path to what you want to do. What it comes down to is whether you have the courage and will to do it, see Bleed.

For example, I have a really good friend who wanted to be a sportswriter, it is his passion. For awhile he worked in the corporate world. He worked for a bank and raked in good money. However he hated it, and then one day he decided he was going to take some journalism classes and then later on attended some sportswriter convention. Gradually though he started moving toward what he wanted to do and eventually he got a job working for a sports team in the minor leagues, it paid jack shiat. He lived out of a crummy apartment and currently moving up to better paying jobs. He carved out his own path, it wasn't easy but he is doing it. I also know he is happy doing what he wants to do.

There's no instruction sheet for your life, if that is something you need to figure things out, then being a monkey in the corporate world is how you will end up.

You have to decide what type of person you want to be. Do you want to be just another number...or do you want to be one of those people who lived their life on their terms. I have found people that are truly happy are the ones that have done what they wanted to do. Not what they are "supposed" to do.

that is great that your friend is doing what he wants to do, but for every success story their are 100 failures.

if i had it my way, i would be a marine biologist right now. i also know they the success rate is very low and only the best make a decent living. I had to get real and change my career around.

out of the millions that have lost their job this past several months, i bet you they wouldn't mind being a monkey in the corporate world

alkemical
02-10-2009, 11:14 AM
that is great that your friend is doing what he wants to do, but for every success story their are 100 failures.

if i had it my way, i would be a marine biologist right now. i also know they the success rate is very low and only the best make a decent living. I had to get real and change my career around.

out of the millions that have lost their job this past several months, i bet you they wouldn't mind being a monkey in the corporate world

Depends. Yes & No.

Like i said - i'm white collar day labor. Am i happy to have a job...yeah.

It does suck though when your industry is flooded, the wages are low - with no benefits.

Sometimes it is difficult.

24champ
02-10-2009, 11:41 AM

As I said before, I never said it was going to be easy. There are failures along the way. I have failed, everyone else fails at some point. The people that succeed are the ones that don't quit and keep at it. It is a lot easier said than done, carving out your own path is the hardest thing for anyone to do in life.

You have to listen to yourself. If you really really wanted to be a Marine Biologist, there is no stopping you from doing so. Who cares what they get paid? Anyone can take the easy route and just collect a check but they won't be happy with what they are doing. Guaranteed.

If I was one of those that got laid off, I would spend the new free time I got figuring out exactly what I want to do and carving out my path. I wouldn't want to settle for being someone else's monkey. Like I said, it's easier said than done. But you have to want it and take it.

24champ
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I suggest everyone watch this video. It is probably the longest video on Youtube, but it is worth the watch.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ji5_MqicxSo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ji5_MqicxSo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bronx33
02-10-2009, 11:57 AM

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

UPDATE:

Well you didn't want to work weekends ( end of story ) it's you that you want to make happy if hes running around acting like a b**** then screw him it's your life not his, if money is the object then take the position and make him happy.

FantomForce
02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Did you learn nothing from the superbowl? You need to look into the crystal ball and then throw it bosses nuts!

Mountain Bronco
02-10-2009, 01:25 PM
You did the right thing. There is nothing more horrid in this world than being at a job you dislike as it makes your entire life misserable. There isn't much more refreshing than total honesty either.

CEH
02-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I guess my question is are you working there to live or working there to get the free education? If it's for the education I'd do whatever to ensure I continue my free education, not many have that opportunity , get it and move on to a better job. Most ppl go to college to get a better job down the line but I'm not sure what your prioirities are long term. Like many have said short term there is Tivo and the radio and sell your tix on craigslist. If times get tough and you need money for school you'll probably end up selling your tickets anyways to get some more cash. If school is not your #1 priority then work when and where you want.