PDA

View Full Version : Simple, but important question

Bob
02-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Who made all those brilliant choices in the draft last year?

Clady -- a rookie left tackle, this guy will be scary good for years to come.

Royal -- if folks knew now before last years draft, he woudl have been a top 10 pick.

Hillis, where did we find him? The 7th right? Another late round gem.

I know we have had our duds over the years (Nash) but folks like Marshal in the fouth, Cutler, Portis (2nd), TD (6th)-- if Shanny had most of the power, should we expect to see a noticable drop-off in finding gems in later rounds? Should we atribute last years draft to Shanny? Who else, that is still around -- Sundquist right? I think we may have been a tad spoiled over the years -- think raiders drafts, -- remember how Reeves drafted? Ted Gregory comes to mind, dont think he ever found a decent RB (Bobby Humphrey was a one year wonder.)

Thoughts?

Inkana7
02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Goodman.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Goodman.

i agree. we are in good hands, plus McDaniels being a Patriots disciple works well, because if he learned how to draft like Belicheat and Pioli, we will be good.

elsid13
02-08-2009, 05:26 PM
i agree. we are in good hands, plus McDaniels being a Patriots disciple works well, because if he learned how to draft like Belicheat and Pioli, we will be good.

It not like the Patriots have been extremely good at drafting recently.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2009, 06:01 PM

they have been decent. for the most part they haven't been drafting for need. they are just drafting depth and building them up behind the veterans.

Paladin
02-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Goodman and his son were the chief architects of the draft last year. He is the reason why I think the corner will have been turned to better players in the near future. If he can find, say, six or so players this year along with two FAs for the D, I think the Broncos are on their way...

theAPAOps5
02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
The Goodmans and Xanders, its why Bowlen kept the Front Office intact.

SpringStein
02-08-2009, 06:14 PM

This was their worst - 2007:

1 24 24 Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (FL)
2 4 28 127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (FL)
3 5 34 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
4 6 6 180 Justin Rogers LB Southern Methodist
5 6 28 202 Mike Richardson DB Notre Dame
6 6 34 208 Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut St.
7 6 35 209 Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State
8 7 1 211 Oscar Lua LB USC
9 7 37 247 Mike Elgin G Iowa

Meriweather was the only one to make the team.

Paladin
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
For some teams, it makes sense to just draft the first round, and trade all the rest of their pics for another first......

How many years did it take NO to recover from the Ditka Fiasco?

gyldenlove
02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
For someteams, it makes sense to just draft the forst round, and trade all the rest of their pics for another first......

How many years did it take NO to recover from the Ditka Fiasco?

That is actually true, some teams are so horrible at drafting that they should only draft high where you can just read some webpages and sure to find a player with reasonable talent *cough* Bengals *cough*.

chaz
02-08-2009, 10:05 PM
i am actually really excited for the draft this year...we should have a lot of opportunities to improve our team and i'm confident the goodmans can make the right choices.

SoCalBronco
02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
It is hard to tell with Goodman. He's getting jacked off pretty hard recently, but he was also the Director of College Scouting during the years when our drafts were mediocre to below average.

NFLBRONCO
02-08-2009, 11:31 PM
His best picks have been on offense so I think he needs to prove he can land great players on D before the lovefest gets too crazy.

snowspot66
02-09-2009, 06:44 AM
It is hard to tell with Goodman. He's getting jacked off pretty hard recently, but he was also the Director of College Scouting during the years when our drafts were mediocre to below average.

I'm inclined to think the problem was on the user end in those days. A good scouting report is only useful if the person reading it knows what he is doing. Considering our failures in the first part of the decade it's obvious that we were looking for the wrong things in our picks.

BMarsh615
02-09-2009, 08:53 AM

2001 6 Richard Seymour DT
2002 21 Daniel Graham TE
2003 13 Ty Warren DT
2004 21 Vince Wilfork DT
32 Benjamin Watson TE
2005 32 Logan Mankins OG
2006 21 Laurence Maroney RB
2007 24 Brandon Meriweather S
2008 10 Jerod Mayo LB

Every one of those players except Graham are still on the team. I think they have done a very good job, in the first round anyways.

gyldenlove
02-09-2009, 09:10 AM
2002 21 Daniel Graham TE
2003 13 Ty Warren DT
2004 21 Vince Wilfork DT
32 Benjamin Watson TE
2005 32 Logan Mankins OG
2008 10 Jerod Mayo LB

Every one of those players except Graham are still on the team. I think they have done a very good job, in the first round anyways.

The last 4 years they have gotten a really good OG, a backup RB, a backup S and a good ILB. Not really a great run, in that doesn't even begin to measure up with what we have done in the same period:

Franchise QB, book end tackles, starting OG, one of the top WR duos in the league.

BMarsh615
02-09-2009, 10:26 AM
The last 4 years they have gotten a really good OG, a backup RB, a backup S and a good ILB. Not really a great run, in that doesn't even begin to measure up with what we have done in the same period:

Franchise QB, book end tackles, starting OG, one of the top WR duos in the league.

We drafted a franchise QB, a bust DE, and a franchise LT the last 3 years. We had very good drafts overall, I just listed the Patriots first rounders though.

rugbythug
02-09-2009, 10:40 AM

It is much easier to find great players when your team sucks. Future all pro's who sit on the bench are busts.

nickademus
02-09-2009, 05:40 PM
future all pros who sit on the bench are not future all pros. they are just guys who werent good enough to beat the starter out.

worm
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Any bad draft pick was Shannys fault. Any decent one is due to Goodman.

The Patriots have a top secret formula on how to draft and Josh has taken it with him to Denver.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2009, 07:26 PM
2002 21 Daniel Graham TE
2003 13 Ty Warren DT
2004 21 Vince Wilfork DT
32 Benjamin Watson TE
2005 32 Logan Mankins OG
2008 10 Jerod Mayo LB

and that's how elite teams draft. they pay special attention to the 1st round pick and not really worry as much about the rest of the draft. i think if they were having to rebuild they would have good drafts.

Kaylore
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Yes, you need to hit on your first rounders. And of course the Patriots are, with a few exceptions, pretty good at that. But the rest of their drafts - especially lately, have been pretty crappy. We've drafted better than they have. No one should consider rounds 2-7 throw away picks. You can build a dynasty by taking advantage of the later rounds in the draft. If you are only averaging one starter a draft it's going to catch up with you. The Patriots have a lot of old guys on their team and their only averaging one starter a year is a direct result of that.

elsid13
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
and that's how elite teams draft. they pay special attention to the 1st round pick and not really worry as much about the rest of the draft. i think if they were having to rebuild they would have good drafts.

No elite teams have solid systems in place and identify players that fit system and find those players later in draft for reasonable price. It easy identify 1st round talent any jack ass can do that, elite teams find starting talent in 3rd/4th/5th and 6th rounds.

Drek
02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes, you need to hit on your first rounders. And of course the Patriots are, with a few exceptions, pretty good at that. But the rest of their drafts - especially lately, have been pretty crappy. We've drafted better than they have. No one should consider rounds 2-7 throw away picks. You can build a dynasty by taking advantage of the later rounds in the draft. If you are only averaging one starter a draft it's going to catch up with you. The Patriots have a lot of old guys on their team and their only averaging one starter a year is a direct result of that.

But how much of that is due to overall team depth?

They've got an established veteran core across almost the entire starting lineups of both sides of the ball, and at least one near starter quality rotational backup type at each spot to go with them. What are they supposed to do, not sign an Adalius Thomas because it blocks a rookie they could draft?

They're focused on being the best possible team they can be every single week of every single season, thats the level their team is at right now. Prior to that they had some very solid later round pickups, many of whom have now moved on to other organizations for big money contracts.

We on the other hand can easily upgrade the talent on our roster with even later round rookies, and they fill out a big chunk of our second string, so when guys get hurt we bring in rookies.

I think the important thing to take away from New England's draft strategy was how aggressively they pursued elite line talent. Their starting DL are all first rounders. They spent a plethora of picks to build a solid line and stock it with depth so that even the loss of some valuable starters hasn't thrown them off much. That is the kind of mindset we need to adopt. Can you beat their scouting? Sure, I think we have pretty well over the last few years. But you can't beat their dedication and focus on the system. The guys they take are round pegs aimed at round holes, square pegs aimed at square holes. No mixing and matching, they know how to make use of you and thats why they took you in the first place.

iforgotmypassword
02-12-2009, 03:50 PM
goodmans were only in charge of the SEC till this year, look at our SEC picks

BroncoMan4ever
02-13-2009, 01:30 AM
No elite teams have solid systems in place and identify players that fit system and find those players later in draft for reasonable price. It easy identify 1st round talent any jack ass can do that, elite teams find starting talent in 3rd/4th/5th and 6th rounds.

tell that to the franchise that has been without question the best team of the last decade.
they built up a team with smart picks and now that it is built they make sure they get what they need. they have quality starters and use the draft to have quality backups to their veteran starters. they aren't looking for late round gems to hopefully take them to the next level. they are looking for the guy they need that year.

elsid13
02-13-2009, 03:00 AM
tell that to the franchise that has been without question the best team of the last decade.
they built up a team with smart picks and now that it is built they make sure they get what they need. they have quality starters and use the draft to have quality backups to their veteran starters. they aren't looking for late round gems to hopefully take them to the next level. they are looking for the guy they need that year.

I presume your talking about the Pats - a teams that aging big time on the defense side, has no young WR and only one RBs with very little internal chance for replacement.

While the Steelers have done exactly what I said. And all the great personnel men in the league - Bill Polen, Wolf and others followed what I said