PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Cassel signs $14.65 million tender with New England

montrose
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Called it, sort of - http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2281886#post2281886

---------------------------

Cassel signs $14.65M franchise tender
Posted: Adam Schefter

Now that QB Matt Cassel has signed his $14.65 million non-exclusive franchise tender — the largest guarantee on a one-year contract in the history of the NFL — some around the league believe it’s 95 percent that he remains in New England.

The only way the Patriots would trade Cassel is if they know QB Tom Brady is healthy, and even if they do, the bidder needs to be to Cassel’s liking and offer a contract to his liking, or there’s no deal.

That’s not to say it can’t happen. But it’s not going to be easy to make it happen.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/07/cassel-likely-to-remain-in-new-england/

BroncoDoug
02-08-2009, 11:05 AM
That is just a huge amount of money tied up in only two players (Brady, Cassel)

Killericon
02-08-2009, 11:12 AM
They're not going to keep him.

Spider
02-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Meh .. I dont believe it until WPI tells me this happened

oubronco
02-08-2009, 11:28 AM
wow! good for him

boltaneer
02-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm gonna laugh my ass off if no other team bites on the P*triots and Cassel's demands and they get stuck with a $14 million clipboard holder for one year.

BroncoInferno
02-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Kind of surprised Cassel would do this. I mean, that's a lot of guaranteed money, sure, but if Brady comes back healthy, he goes back to the bench and he is a year removed from his successful 2008 when he hits the market again in 2010.

Killericon
02-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Kind of surprised Cassel would do this. I mean, that's a lot of guaranteed money, sure, but if Brady comes back healthy, he goes back to the bench and he is a year removed from his successful 2008 when he hits the market again in 2010.

With $14.5 million in hand, and nothing else on his record other than 2008. In an uncapped market. It's a no-brainer to sign it, IMO.

BroncoInferno
02-08-2009, 11:37 AM
With $14.5 million in hand, and nothing else on his record other than 2008. In an uncapped market. It's a no-brainer to sign it, IMO.

Yes, but he will be a year removed from that successful 2008 when he hits the market again. Assuming he does not play in 2009, that will undoubtedly effect his market value and his potential to land a starting job elsewhere. Plus, if he forced NE's hand on a trade, he'd probably get somewhere around $15 million a signing bonus.

tsiguy96
02-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Yes, but he will be a year removed from that successful 2008 when he hits the market again. Assuming he does not play in 2009, that will undoubtedly effect his market value and his potential to land a starting job elsewhere. Plus, if he forced NE's hand on a trade, he'd probably get somewhere around $15 million a signing bonus.

im quite sure nobody can force bellicheck's hand....

HILife
02-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Meh .. I dont believe it until WPI tells me this happened

I second that. WPI for LIFE!!!

Florida_Bronco
02-08-2009, 11:41 AM
On a Mustang forum I post on, we've got a bunch of bozo Patriot fans who have been insisting this wasn't going to happen. Schefter owns them, again.

BroncoInferno
02-08-2009, 11:42 AM
im quite sure nobody can force bellicheck's hand....

He can try. He could sign the franchise tender at anytime. Why do it now? Why not use whatever leverage he has to try and get a deal for himself as a guaranteed starter while he is still a hot commodity? He'll be a forgotten man a year from now, unless Brady isn't healthy.

strafen
02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
That's just a huge insurance policy against injuries
Right now, it looks like Cassel is making out like a bandit, but should Brady gets hurt again, or should he require yet another surgery, this move will look pretty smart
It's a catch-22. Cassel is in a no-lose situation. He'll still be better than some NFL starting QB in the league; KC, Oak, Detroit,Cin, etc...

tsiguy96
02-08-2009, 11:46 AM
He can try. He could sign the franchise tender at anytime. Why do it now? Why not use whatever leverage he has to try and get a deal for himself as a guaranteed starter while he is still a hot commodity? He'll be a forgotten man a year from now, unless Brady isn't healthy.

what leverage does he have? 3 options: franchise, cut, trade. hes not getting cut, he has already been franchised and being traded is still a viable option. if he doesnt sign the tender he has to find a team willing to give like 2 first round picks for him which wont happen. if he signs the tender the patriots can trade for the best offer or just keep him and he makes 15 mil for doing nothing.

Taco John
02-08-2009, 12:00 PM

He'll still be a hot commodity in a year.

rovolution
02-08-2009, 12:05 PM

agreed. if Matt Schaub with the limited playing time he got behind Vick could get a massive deal in this league, a Matt Cassell who started basically a full season and put up impressive #s will surely get an opportunity.

BroncoInferno
02-08-2009, 12:09 PM

Not like he is now, no. He'll have been back on the pine for a year; that will unquestionably have a negative impact on his market value.

Inkana7
02-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Not like he is now, no. He'll have been back on the pine for a year; that will unquestionably have a negative impact on his market value.

I don't think so. He's a good QB. Good QBs are very rare in the NFL.

Beantown Bronco
02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, but he will be a year removed from that successful 2008 when he hits the market again. Assuming he does not play in 2009, that will undoubtedly effect his market value and his potential to land a starting job elsewhere.

Let's not forget. His outstanding 2008 season was TEN YEARS removed from his last starting gig. A measly ONE YEAR of "rust" is nothing. He would still go into the 2010 FA class as a frontrunner at the position (if the Pats don't tag him again, that is).

tsiguy96
02-08-2009, 12:57 PM

dude he had no choice. if he didnt sign it he would NEVER find a team to give up the draft choices it would require to get him away from the pats. he wasnt getting cut, so he HAD to sign it and now either gets traded and gets a good deal as a starter or sits on the bench for 15mil a year. its win win.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
like there was any thought he wouldn't sign. this isn't news.

he knows he is going to end up playing somewhere else and sucking at it and now is the time to cash in.