Los Broncos
02-08-2009, 08:39 AM
He didn't earn it.

HEAV
02-08-2009, 08:53 AM
He's still going to be cut.

brother love
02-08-2009, 09:01 AM
He restructured his deal when he came to Denver didn't he.

Broncos_OTM
02-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Robertson was decent last year. I dont feel he is worth the bonus. with the cuts how much doughj do we have

2KBack
02-08-2009, 09:45 AM
He didn't earn it.

no one deserved to get paid on the defense, last year is a wash

eddie mac
02-08-2009, 10:37 AM
He restructured his deal when he came to Denver didn't he.

Nope, he got a new 6yr deal worth $24m but only $4m was guaranteed, i.e last years salary/bonus.

If he's released the Broncos clear his contract and save another $4.9m.

Florida_Bronco
02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
He didn't earn it.

Robertson played his butt off despite the fact Slowit's system basically made his talents useless.

Punisher
02-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I remember last offseason all the threads on this guy.:oyvey:

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Nope, he got a new 6yr deal worth $24m but only $4m was guaranteed, i.e last years salary/bonus.

If he's released the Broncos clear his contract and save another $4.9m.

adios Dewayne.

chaz
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
what was all the talk of 17mil then?

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Doesnt matter, i doubt they give him a cent period

SoCalBronco
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure that they could do without Robertson. He's the only one on the roster who has played at 3-4 NT and is also the only one big enough to do at least an adequate job at it despite his distaste for it. It's kinda a stretch to believe and/or expect some rookie, even a first rounder, to come in and do a satisfactory job of smothering both A gaps against NFL C-G-C combo's. It is not a realistic expectation. Even if it were, you need some other depth at the position, preferably experienced, competent (if not super) depth.

The Broncos simply are not in a position to dictate terms, here. I know as fans we like to say "cut X, get rid of Y", but we've got to keep all the facts in mind here. Robertson is very valuable in this period of transition, even if he isn't as good of a player as we might have hoped.

Killericon
02-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I love the guy, and I thought he played admirably. However, he's not a good NT, and he won't want to play in a 3-4, which is never a good thing. Try to move him, and if we can't, cut him.

NFLBRONCO
02-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure that they could do without Robertson. He's the only one on the roster who has played at 3-4 NT and is also the only one big enough to do at least an adequate job at it despite his distaste for it. It's kinda a stretch to believe and/or expect some rookie, even a first rounder, to come in and do a satisfactory job of smothering both A gaps against NFL C-G-C combo's. It is not a realistic expectation. Even if it were, you need some other depth at the position, preferably experienced, competent (if not super) depth.

The Broncos simply are not in a position to dictate terms, here. I know as fans we like to say "cut X, get rid of Y", but we've got to keep all the facts in mind here. Robertson is very valuable in this period of transition, even if he isn't as good of a player as we might have hoped.

Good Point :)

ludo21
02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Stop talking sensible SoCal! He sucksorz! He didnt get 6 sacks like we predicted!!

bronco610
02-08-2009, 11:00 PM
What ever Mediator and SoCal say is what I vote for.

Broncojef
02-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Well if the Broncos are saving serious coin maybe they can bring in other marginal talent through FA to match with our draft. Plus there is nothing dictating we move to a 3-4 this year. I think we have options, I guess it depends what Nolan thinks Robertson can bring to the team.

DBroncos4life
02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Well if the Broncos are saving serious coin maybe they can bring in other marginal talent through FA to match with our draft. Plus there is nothing dictating we move to a 3-4 this year. I think we have options, I guess it depends what Nolan thinks Robertson can bring to the team.

We are WAY under the cap we don't have to make the move thats why I don't see the point.

eddie mac
02-09-2009, 01:25 AM

Printed by a writer in the RMN.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2009, 01:29 AM
I love the guy, and I thought he played admirably. However, he's not a good NT, and he won't want to play in a 3-4, which is never a good thing. Try to move him, and if we can't, cut him.

i think we only have a few days left to try and trade him or we are on the hook for his bonus.
i also tend to think he would rather be released and signed by another 4-3 team instead of being mis-used as a NT.

however, i could see the team keeping him based on the reasoning that he has experience as a NT which we can use while a rookie draft pick gets up to speed, and if we are running a hybrid 3-4/4-3 he can be used in the 4-3 sets. he and Thomas were the only good parts of the DL last season and it wouldn't hurt to keep him just as insurance as a NT for a year. and if we find a replacement then we can try to trade him

fontaine
02-09-2009, 03:57 AM
Don't get rid of him, unless you think Crowder/Powell etc are ready to go!

lol

Hercules Rockefeller
02-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Pay him. He was decent last year and the Broncos have more cap room than they can spend this offseason, cutting him just to get even more cap room is almost counterproductive at this point.

oubronco
02-09-2009, 06:29 AM

I believe one of the main reasons he went for the trade to Denver was he DOESN"T like playing NT in the 3-4

colonelbeef
02-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Pay him. He was decent last year and the Broncos have more cap room than they can spend this offseason, cutting him just to get even more cap room is almost counterproductive at this point.

I am inclined to agree with this sentiment. Robertson wasn't bad last year, the system, LB's, and Champs' injury were.

Snarfalicious
02-09-2009, 06:38 AM
He's still gotta be dumped. He didn't earn a 500k bonus. He was a complete nonfactor. Thomas showed more than him, and he wasn't really that good either, but at least he's got age and functional knees on his side.

BroncoFiend
02-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Whether or not the 4 million is worth it will depend on what McDaniels and Nolan think he is worth to nexts year's defense not how he was in last year's defense.

Mediator12
02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Whether or not the 4 million is worth it will depend on what McDaniels and Nolan think he is worth to nexts year's defense not how he was in last year's defense.

True, but it also requires thinking how he would fit in versus available FA's and Draft selections too. This is where his value will be determined. HIs bonus plus cap hit versus comparable cost to obtain similar talent. everything is relative at this point to supply and perceived demand for that supply.

It would not shock me to see him cut and later resigned if no one else wants him, and they may not at his current price. That is the stickler, his current value is way too high for his performance on the field. He has value, but not for this team at his current price. It's all negotiations at this point.

BroncoFiend
02-09-2009, 07:20 AM
True, but it also requires thinking how he would fit in versus available FA's and Draft selections too. This is where his value will be determined. HIs bonus plus cap hit versus comparable cost to obtain similar talent. everything is relative at this point to supply and perceived demand for that supply.

It would not shock me to see him cut and later resigned if no one else wants him, and they may not at his current price. That is the stickler, his current value is way too high for his performance on the field. He has value, but not for this team at his current price. It's all negotiations at this point.

Agreed, I actually expect him to be cut, his knee issue combined with his lackluster 08 doesn't add up to good odds. However, since we don't have a wealth of options on the D-line right now, it might be worth holding on to him in the hopes that Nolan's defense can get more out of him. At the very least, he is a capable player.

eddie mac
02-09-2009, 07:22 AM

The fact that he wont pass a physical anywhere else might also come into this.

Beantown Bronco
02-09-2009, 07:56 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mDLoT5sWOmE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mDLoT5sWOmE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TonyR
02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
The Broncos simply are not in a position to dictate terms, here...

I don't know that this is true. He's a mediocre player who can't pass a physical. If this bonus can be negotiated downward attempting to do so should be the first step.

DBroncos4life
02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't know that this is true. He's a mediocre player who can't pass a physical. If this bonus can be negotiated downward attempting to do so should be the first step.

You really believe in the NFL physical that much do you? To me its just a messed up way for NFL owners to dump players. I mean how many times do you have to see a player get cut because his current team didn't pass him only to have him sign with another team.

TonyR
02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
You really believe in the NFL physical that much do you?

There wasn't much interest in Robertson last offseason, and what little interest he did receive waned when he failed physicals. I'm sure teams would give him a shot on the cheap but if you think teams will be lining up to pay him you're sadly mistaken. Mediocre + chronically injured = very little leverage.

Beantown Bronco
02-10-2009, 08:06 AM
There wasn't much interest in Robertson last offseason, and what little interest he did receive waned when he failed physicals. I'm sure teams would give him a shot on the cheap but if you think teams will be lining up to pay him you're sadly mistaken. Mediocre + chronically injured = very little leverage.

Trade compensation + his contract + the abnormally large number of top tier DTs on the market were real sticking points last year. None of that will be the case this year if Robertson is simply released.

Chronically injured? Name the last time he missed more than one game in a season. I think you are confusing him with Boss Bailey.