PDA

View Full Version : Another Oakland first round safety bustathon

cutthemdown
02-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Just heard on radio that Huff said he expects Raiders to cut him. Man that makes Patrick Bates (12th pick overall), Derick Gibson (28th overall), Micheal Huff (7th overall, ouch). Man Oakland should vow to never take a safety in the first round again.

Unbelievable that many first round safety's and not one of them any good.

HILife
02-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Bring him in. Might be better then what we got now. Can't be worse.

Paladin
02-08-2009, 08:35 AM
How can a guy with that many skills be a "bust"? I mean he was highly touted by a lot of people when he was drafted. Is it coaching? Is it complacency? Is it a colossal failure of scouting methods? A failure to measure the "intangibles"? Did the Wonderlic fail?

That's a terribly large number of failures in the same position.....

cutthemdown
02-08-2009, 08:39 AM
How can a guy withthat many skills be a "bust"? I mean he was highoy touted by a lot of people when he was drafted. Is it coaching? Is it complacency? Is it a collossal failure of scouting methods? Afailure to measure the "intangibles"? Did the Wonderlic fail?

especially since safety supposed to be one of the easier positions to evaluate.

HEAV
02-08-2009, 08:41 AM
He really must have soured. His base salary for 2009 is $945,000(still on his rookie deal) he must have som roster bonus coming up at would force the team to cut him.

ludo21
02-08-2009, 08:45 AM
bring him in

Bronx33
02-08-2009, 08:50 AM
How can a guy withthat many skills be a "bust"? I mean he was highoy touted by a lot of people when he was drafted. Is it coaching? Is it complacency? Is it a collossal failure of scouting methods? Afailure to measure the "intangibles"? Did the Wonderlic fail?

The raiders can't get any quality coaching personell because al davis is a douchebag.

cutthemdown
02-08-2009, 08:52 AM
The raiders can't get any quality coaching personell because al davis is a douchebag.

We just hired there linebackers coach

Hercules Rockefeller
02-08-2009, 08:52 AM
He really must have soured. His base salary for 2009 is $945,000(still on his rookie deal) he must have som roster bonus coming up at would force the team to cut him.

Or he could just suck and they don't want to waste their time with him? Not every move is made with the cap ramifications as the top reason.

Bronx33
02-08-2009, 09:37 AM
We just hired there linebackers coach

Did there linebackers suck?

cutthemdown
02-08-2009, 09:44 AM

seemed average to me but IMO it's mostly about talent not coaching.

McDman
02-08-2009, 09:44 AM
They have pretty good LBs.

2KBack
02-08-2009, 09:48 AM
He'll probably go somewhere and be pretty good. Oakland is turning into the old AZ cardinals, good players fail there, then go on to better careers somewhere else.

Bronx33
02-08-2009, 09:52 AM
seemed average to me but IMO it's mostly about talent not coaching.

It seems to me oakland has a problem getting talented coaches at higher levels and the organization as a whole tends to drag down everyone who enters it was kinda my point.

Br0nc0Buster
02-08-2009, 10:36 AM
well he may be a "bust", but Im sure he is better than the trash we got

Drek
02-08-2009, 10:39 AM

He's another wonderful product of the UT system.

Why teach guys how to play good fundamental football in a pro level (or at least near pro level) system when you got the best athletes from one of the best recruiting states? Line your 11 up against theirs and know your guys are faster, stronger, and more naturally talented.

Good enough to make a bowl appearance. Of course you only rarely win nation titles despite being an annual favorite because your guys can't handle fundamentally sound teams, but I guess you can't have it all.

Huff right now is probably about where a rookie should be in terms of understanding how the game is played. Maybe not even at that point yet with how badly Oakland sucks. But he moves real good in some under armor unitards so Al Davis took him in the top 10.

spdirty
02-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Man Id love to see that guy in a Broncos uniform.

cmhargrove
02-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I really liked him when he came out, and thought he looked great his rookie year. Definitely give him a look, Huff was as fast as anyone on the field from what I remember.

I don't know what kind of Safeties Donatell goes for, but I thought he liked guys that were pretty physical. I always thought of Huff as a pretty strong player, maybe he fits.

Huff just got a repreive from a death sentence in Oakland. He will probably get a nice contract, and be able to play in a better organization than the Raiders.

cutthemdown
02-08-2009, 12:08 PM
he hasn't been cut yet

Popps
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Safety is a very difficult position to develop, imo. I wonder what the wash-out rate is for first round safeties?

I liked the idea of taking Mays if he would have come out, but in some senses... I'm almost relieved he didn't. That position is just such a gamble. I'd rather see us sign a S in FA and take swings at other positions early in the draft.

cutthemdown
02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
<table width="450" align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#b9b9b9"><td>Player-Year</td> <td align="center">G (GS)</td> <td align="center">TK</td> <td align="center">INT</td> <td align="center">FR</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>E. Reed, BAL (2002)</td> <td align="center">48 (47)</td> <td align="center">234</td> <td align="center">21</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="center">3</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>R. Williams, DAL (2002)</td> <td align="center">48 (48)</td> <td align="center">267</td> <td align="center">9</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="center">2</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>M. Griffin, TEN (2007)</td> <td align="center">31 (25)</td> <td align="center">121</td> <td align="center">10</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>T. Polamalu, PIT (2003)</td> <td align="center">48 (32)</td> <td align="center">227</td> <td align="center">7</td> <td align="center">2</td> <td align="center">2</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>S. Taylor, WAS (2004)</td> <td align="center">46 (44)</td> <td align="center">264</td> <td align="center">7</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>A. Edwards, GB (1999)</td> <td align="center">31 (4)</td> <td align="center">57</td> <td align="center">6</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>R. Nelson, JAX (2007)</td> <td align="center">29 (28)</td> <td align="center">114</td> <td align="center">7</td> <td align="center">0</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>A. Archuleta, STL (2001)</td> <td align="center">42 (41)</td> <td align="center">251</td> <td align="center">2</td> <td align="center">3</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>J. Allen, MIA (2006)</td> <td align="center">45 (22)</td> <td align="center">104</td> <td align="center">5</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>L. Landry, WAS (2007)</td> <td align="center">32 (32)</td> <td align="center">160</td> <td align="center">2</td> <td align="center">3</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>R. Anderson, CAR (2000)</td> <td align="center">27 (9)</td> <td align="center">59</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">3</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>B. Meriweather, NE (2007)</td> <td align="center">32 (10)</td> <td align="center">106</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="center">0</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>D. Gibson, OAK (2001)</td> <td align="center">47 (25)</td> <td align="center">144</td> <td align="center">3</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>D. Whitner, BUF (2006)</td> <td align="center">43 (42)</td> <td align="center">255</td> <td align="center">2</td> <td align="center">0</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>M. Huff, OAK (2006)</td> <td align="center">44 (32)</td> <td align="center">187</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eeeeee"> <td>K. Phillips, NYG (2008)</td> <td align="center">16 (0)</td> <td align="center">62</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">0</td> <td align="center">0</td></tr></tbody></table>

bronco militia
02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I guess they should have drafted cutler

Doggcow
02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Pick him up. Draft Chung. We're set at the position for the next decade.

Dukes
02-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I'd have no problem if he was brought in. Like a few other said, he's still better than the trash we have now.

Sodak
02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I would play like **** just to get out of Oakland too. How many years did he have left on his contract? Makes sense. It's a two year career changing plan.

1st year play horrible, get cut.

2nd year, play lights out after signing a one year deal with another team.

3rd year, BANK.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Just heard on radio that Huff said he expects Raiders to cut him. Man that makes Patrick Bates (12th pick overall), Derick Gibson (28th overall), Micheal Huff (7th overall, ouch). Man Oakland should vow to never take a safety in the first round again.

i say sign Huff. i think getting out of the soul sucking and talent wasting town known as Oakland will create a career resurgance for him, plus anyone is an upgrade over everyone we have(Barrett not included in this assesment)

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-09-2009, 06:22 AM
How can a guy with that many skills be a "bust"? I mean he was highly touted by a lot of people when he was drafted. Is it coaching? Is it complacency? Is it a colossal failure of scouting methods? A failure to measure the "intangibles"? Did the Wonderlic fail?

Randy Moss, Kerry Collins, Charles Woodson all left Oakland for greener pastures of CHAMPIONSHIP football, and Collins and Moss were supposed to be "finished" once they left their teams!;)
The Cable Guy is both: a funny movie, AND an ass-sucking puppet of an NFL coach! Oakland is dead, pull the cord.

We just hired their (Oakland) linebackers coach
If he can bring/find us a player of the caliber of Oakland's MLB Kirk Morrison, this defense with turn around REAL FAST!!;)

TonyR
02-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Oakland is turning into the old AZ cardinals...

Are you stuck in a time warp? We better hope the raiders don't turn into the Cardinals.

cutthemdown
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
one thing it shows in these stats for sure is that you don't often see Safety a first round pick. Then recently we get 1, maybe 2 a yr etc.

Back in the day, Steve Atwater, Dennis Smith, were both first round picks.

Archer81
02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Are you stuck in a time warp? We better hope the raiders don't turn into the Cardinals.

Pre 2006 Arizona Cardinals, the ones with 1 playoff season in 60+ years...

:Broncos:

fdf
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM

I think their reaching for Huff was why we got Cutler.

TheDave
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I think their reaching for Huff was why we got Cutler.

That and Buffalo grabbing Whitner....

TonyR
02-09-2009, 12:30 PM
At the time Huff in the top 10 wasn't considered much of a reach. Check out this mock draft:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2423861

Of course they should have taken a QB, but you're calling Huff a "reach" only in hindsight because he was widely considered a stud leading up to that draft.

Kaylore
02-09-2009, 12:56 PM

Oakland has very good linebackers.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM

are you kidding? i would love to watch the Raiders follow the Cardinals way of winning. then for the next 40 years we can watch them suck and never make it to or win playoff games.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Oakland has very good linebackers.

the LB's and Nmamdi are the only good things on that team(and Michael Bush)

Doggcow
02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
the LB's and Nmamdi are the only good things on that team(and Michael Bush)

Psha, I think you meant Ashley Lelie and Javon Walker.

BroncoBuff
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
We would have a high waiver priority to claim him - we're a .500 team in the AFC - but Huff makes way too much money on this contract ... he was chosen 4 spots ahead of Cutler remember.

But if he's waived through the league, thus voiding his contract, then yes, DEFINITELY bring him in if he's willing. Though I doubt he'll be willing ... he's a Texas kid and a Cowboys fan and the Cowboys need safeties.