PDA

View Full Version : OT - Account Fraud

Los Broncos
02-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Went into the bank today to withdraw some funds for the monthly rent.

Teller tells me I have a fraud freeze on my account.

Someone deposited a blank envelope with no check for $200.00 and withdrew a $100.00.

How they did it, I have no idea.

So now I'm broke for the weekend, have to wait till the 13th till they lift the account freeze and get me my money back plus whats on hold.

Guess I have to be careful with my info a little more from now on.

Pick Six
02-07-2009, 12:18 AM
That sucks...but you already knew that...

Los Broncos
02-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes I did, hopefully it wont happen again.

Pick Six
02-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Do you do much online shopping? I try very hard to avoid it, myself...

SouthStndJunkie
02-07-2009, 12:36 AM
I have never had an issue with shopping online.

In my opinion....shredding your mail and all the crap like those pre-qualified credit card applications and bank statements is the most important thing to protect your identity.

Too much crap out there with your information on it.

Garcia Bronco
02-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Went into the bank today to withdraw some funds for the monthly rent.

Teller tells me I have a fraud freeze on my account.

Someone deposited a blank envelope with no check for $200.00 and withdrew a $100.00.

How they did it, I have no idea.

So now I'm broke for the weekend, have to wait till the 13th till they lift the account freeze and get me my money back plus whats on hold.

Guess I have to be careful with my info a little more from now on.

This doesn't even make sense.

watermock
02-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Had to be an ATM.

20 years ago I was tweaking and deposited 300 n my account, with a check. It was 'bounced' but accepted , but probably good monday.
Took out 200, kept on runnin.

my statement worked fine. that was 20 years ago tho.

Atwater His Ass
02-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Do you do much online shopping? I try very hard to avoid it, myself...

Didn't take long for the paranoid police to arrive.

cutthemdown
02-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Bro I can throw you a loan if you need it. What couple hundred bucks? You would have to drive down and meet somewhere in Long Beach. Just let me know man seriously it would be no problem for me.

cutthemdown
02-07-2009, 06:41 AM

honestly the person would need his card and pin number. I hate to say it but you have to almost suspect someone you know.

chadta
02-07-2009, 07:01 AM
ihad my account frozen for a week, i had to get a new card, all because i used my card " in a location of suspect activity"

friggin bank didnt tell me, i had to phone and find out why my card wasnt working, at 7 am filling the car up on my way to work, lucky for me the people at the gas bar know me and let me go back later to pay.

but honestly id rather that then find out a week later that im missing 2500 bucks or something.

Dukes
02-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Two years ago I had a fraudulent transaction on my CC for $900. The strangest part was it was made in Japan. Luckily the bank took care of it and nothing has happened since. I'm still not exactly sure how they got my information, my guess is it happened just like SSJ said, old mail in the trash.

Los Broncos
02-07-2009, 08:27 AM

What doesn't? Someone used my card and pin or a fake card and pin.

Los Broncos
02-07-2009, 08:27 AM
honestly the person would need his card and pin number. I hate to say it but you have to almost suspect someone you know.

Now thats what I'm thinking here.

cutthemdown
02-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Bummer. Like I said I can float you some cash if you have something you need it for this weekend.

Dudeskey
02-07-2009, 10:16 AM
What doesn't? Someone used my card and pin or a fake card and pin.

card cloning- very possible that your account was compromised that way. But that would be pretty ****ed up if it was someone you know...

bowtown
02-07-2009, 10:27 AM

No, this has happened to me as well. It's a common scam now. Someone went in and withdrew $500 from a bank ATM from my account with what was supposedly my ATM card, only problem was, I still had my card. ATM machines that you find in bodegas or delis or pharmacies are sometimes comprimised. The scam artists will either sell ATMs or rig them so that they strip your information when you dip your card. Then they either have a keypad overlay that senses your pin, a mini camera set up in the top of the ATM that recordes your button pushing, or some of the more ragtag ops just have a guy standing nearby looking over your shoulder. Then they take the info, build a fake card and go withdraw. They usually don't withdraw too much at any one time so that it makes it easier to miss on your statement.

That's why you should really only ever use ATMs at official bank branches, it's too easy for independent ATMs to be comprimised.

Los Broncos
02-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Bummer. Like I said I can float you some cash if you have something you need it for this weekend.

Its cool, I had a stash of some bucks, I can access it on Friday.

I'll make it through...

broncocalijohn
02-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Dont you live with a Raider fan? There is your suspect right there. I warned you when you moved in with that loser.

Northman
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM

If it happened at a ATM are they going to pull the video tape where it was time stamped?

Los Broncos
02-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Dont you live with a Raider fan? There is your suspect right there. I warned you when you moved in with that loser.

Yes you did, I retraced my steps to that day and an online purchase I made a few weeks ago.

Hard to tell on this one.

Los Broncos
02-07-2009, 04:40 PM
If it happened at a ATM are they going to pull the video tape where it was time stamped?

I would think so.

Binkythefrog
02-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Man, I am sorry to hear that.

I do a few things to try and protect my identity.

Your bank may not offer this, but I am with Chase and I get daily emails letting me know what is going on with my account. This service is free.

2nd, I tell my credit card companies that I want my limit set low. Therefore, people cannot make really large purchases on my card.

Also, you can see your credit report from each of the 3 credit reporting agencies (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) for free once a year. I check these occasionally to make sure that someone has taken out a funny loan or something in my name. It may take a while for some of those transactions to appear to you.. so just checking your credit report occasionally can help.

Popps
02-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Also, you can see your credit report from each of the 3 credit reporting agencies (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) for free once a year..

Here's where to get your freebie once a year:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

You can do all three agencies. There is NO fee and be careful of those sites that do charge. Some are O.K.. but use your freebie first, of course.