PDA

View Full Version : Coyer named DC for the Colts

montrose
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Colts hire ex-Bucs defensive coordinator Coyer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) Former Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Larry Coyer has been hired to run the Indianapolis Colts' defense.

The Colts on Friday also announced wide receivers coach Clyde Christensen will be assistant head coach and University of South Carolina assistant Ray Rychleski (rich-LESS-kee) will become special teams coordinator.

The moves come as the Colts fill out their staff under new coach Jim Caldwell, who took over after Tony Dungy retired last month.

Coyer spent the last two seasons at Tampa Bay and previously spent seven years with the Denver Broncos, the final four as defensive coordinator.

The Colts led the NFL in scoring defense in 2007 but dropped to seventh last season.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h6UXl3J_hBQwTQNyP0rW-wrdzJ2gD96672TG0

BroncoInferno
02-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Coyer was never Tampa Bay's DC.

Mediator12
02-06-2009, 10:50 AM
No, he wasn't the DC. Nice work AP. Typical, nice work ;D

This should be an interesting hire, now that it is official. Anyone wanna bet they stop running the Tampa 2 base ???

theAPAOps5
02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I will be very interested to see how Coyer uses Bob Sanders.

Kaylore
02-06-2009, 10:57 AM
This is two weeks old news, Montrose.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76474&highlight=coyer

You should know better! thwack

Mediator12
02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
This is two weeks old news, Montrose.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76474&highlight=coyer

You should know better! thwack

It is, but the Colts JUST made it official today. Been a rumor until now...

Kaylore
02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
It is, but the Colts JUST made it official today. Been a rumor until now...

Ah, well carry on!

DomCasual
02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
No, he wasn't the DC. Nice work AP. Typical, nice work ;D

This should be an interesting hire, now that it is official. Anyone wanna bet they stop running the Tampa 2 base ???

Dude, don't act like you know more than you do. I get so sick about these dumbasses on the Internet who talk like they have some incredible knowledge of a situation.

:)

Beantown Bronco
02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I will be very interested to see how Bates uses Bob Sanders.

Bates? Freudian slip?

theAPAOps5
02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Bates? Freudian slip?

:spit: I should be banned. I can't even think of an excuse!

Garcia Bronco
02-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Lol

pootz22
02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
In the article it says Coyer was our DC for 4 years, is that true? I didn't think we had the same one for more than 2 years recently.

BroncoBuff
02-06-2009, 12:51 PM
In the article it says Coyer was our DC for 4 years, is that true? I didn't think we had the same one for more than 2 years recently.
I'm pretty sure it was four. I think:

Ray Rhodes = 2002
Larry Coyer = 2003-06
Jim Bates = 2007
Bob Slowick = 2008
Mike Nolan = 2009

Before Rhodes I'm unclear ... but that's plenty of changes right there.

Is Joe Collier still looking for work? Where was he working last year?

bronco militia
02-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Ray Rhodes = 2002
Larry Coyer = 2003-06
Jim Bates = 2007
Bob Slowick = 2008
Mike Nolan = 2009

Joe Collier=1969-1988
Wade Phillips=1989-1992
Charlie Waters=1993-1994
Greg Robinson=1995-2000
Ray Rhodes=2001-2002
Larry Coyer = 2003-06
Jim Bates = 2007
Bob Slowick = 2008
Mike Nolan = 2009

Paladin
02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Dude, don't act like you know more than you do. I get so sick about these dumbasses on the Internet who talk like they have some incredible knowledge of a situation.

:)

YEah, me too.....

:D

Killericon
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Ray Rhodes = 2002
Larry Coyer = 2003-06
Jim Bates = 2007
Bob Slowick = 2008
Mike Nolan = 2009

Jim Bates was Assistant HC. Slowick was DC for 2 years.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I will be very interested to see how Coyer uses Bob Sanders.

At the line, blitzing the QB...along with the other 10 defenders:)

Hogan11
02-06-2009, 01:19 PM
That means the Colts defense will be extra vunerable after the halfway point of the 2009 season and they'll make no adjustments at halftime now. Ha!

Kaylore
02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
It means that a class organization that has won a super bowl in recent memory and knows how to draft and develop defensive talent, with pro-bowlers on their D-line, and the defensive MVP in their secondary, seem think Larry Coyer is a good defensive coordinator and good enough to manage their elite franchise's defense.

People that slam Coyer frequently ignore the crapy defensive line he had, as well as the numbers. Just look up how our defense looked before and after Coyer.

I'd also like anyone here to say they wouldn't want Coyer back after the garbage we've been schlepping out on the field.

I say good luck to you, Mr. Coyer. Sorry you got sand-bagged by Slowik turning the team against you. I bet you get a ring in three years.

theAPAOps5
02-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Well said Kaylor. The worst thing that could have happened was being infected byt the STD Slowick.

jutang
02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I thought Coyer did a decent job, but he's not an exceptional coach. The man just oculdn't adjust properly in the Steeler's game. The talent level during Coyer's tenure was a lot better than Slowick's years.

Kaylore
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
I thought Coyer did a decent job, but he's not an exceptional coach. The man just oculdn't adjust properly in the Steeler's game. The talent level during Coyer's tenure was a lot better than Slowick's years.

Jake Plummer turned the ball over 5 times in that game. In the second half Coyer's defense held the Steelers to 10 points. How's that for an adjustment?

Atlas
02-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Coyer will be a good fit in Indy. They'll blitz a lot, putting pressure on the opposing offense. The whole thing in Indy is that they don't want the other team to control the ball and keep it away from Manning. Coyer's defense will force turnovers and give up big plays, but the other offenses will have a hard time producing long time consuming drives.

Atlas
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM

Denver had one of the best defenses in the NFL in 2005 and they had a 13-3 record, but since they lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship Coyer couldn't adjust properly? The Steelers were the better team they were able to nuetralize Denver's blitz with max protect and Denver didn't have the talent to matchup after that. Had nothing to do with Coyer.

jutang
02-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Jake Plummer turned the ball over 5 times in that game. In the second half Coyer's defense held the Steelers to 10 points. How's that for an adjustment?

The entire AFC champ game was a debacle. I agree that Plummer played a huge part in that crap sandwich, the fumble early in the game in the 1st and an int in the 2nd pretty much sealed the deal for the Steelers, but the three other TOs were more due to the fact that Pitt was up 24 to 3 at the half and Plummer became Bad Jake again.

Coyer got outcoached by Pitt's coaches though. The max blitz was neutralized effectively and Roethlisberger seemed to pick on Foxworth on every comeback route or quick out. By the second half, the Steelers just ran it out with Bettis. Looking at the stats, in the second half it seemed liked whenever the Broncos scored the Steelers marched right on back and got pts of their own. That sounds more like a team that eased up on the gas peddle rather than Coyer's adjustments.

The Broncos lost to a better team, but not 34-17 better team in a yawner at Invesco Field.

orinjkrush
02-06-2009, 04:17 PM
the incest in the NFL is amazing.

i think they all owe their paternity to George Halas.

Popps
02-06-2009, 04:26 PM

Funny, because we used to question our talent level back then... and now, that 05 team looks like an all-pro, all-ages squad compared to the poop we trot out there.

Bottom line is that Pittsburgh came into Denver with a properly constructed, championship team. Top-flight defense... a top flight running game and a QB that fit into the system they were running.

Pitt used that same template to win it all again this year.

Hopefully our new staff will learn lessons that the old staff refused to learn, and apply them to their scouting/personnel choices.

rovolution
02-06-2009, 04:41 PM
The entire AFC champ game was a debacle. I agree that Plummer played a huge part in that crap sandwich, the fumble early in the game in the 1st and an int in the 2nd pretty much sealed the deal for the Steelers, but the three other TOs were more due to the fact that Pitt was up 24 to 3 at the half and Plummer became Bad Jake again.

Coyer got outcoached by Pitt's coaches though. The max blitz was neutralized effectively and Roethlisberger seemed to pick on Foxworth on every comeback route or quick out. By the second half, the Steelers just ran it out with Bettis. Looking at the stats, in the second half it seemed liked whenever the Broncos scored the Steelers marched right on back and got pts of their own. That sounds more like a team that eased up on the gas peddle rather than Coyer's adjustments.

The Broncos lost to a better team, but not 34-17 better team in a yawner at Invesco Field.

it would have helped to have a playmaker in that game

if we drafted Javon instead of Ashley in 2002, Broncos win that game.

I remember going back into Hines field the next season and Javon having a field day against Pitt.

s0phr0syne
02-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Off topic, I know, but with Pendergast fired in AZ, who thinks that he'd be valuable to come in and help with our transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4?

He ran a pretty good D in AZ this year--like Coyer they were very good at creating turnovers. His experience in AZ with the hybrid D as they transitioned seems like it could be valuable to us.

Thoughts?

2KBack
02-06-2009, 06:06 PM
It means that a class organization that has won a super bowl in recent memory and knows how to draft and develop defensive talent, with pro-bowlers on their D-line, and the defensive MVP in their secondary, seem think Larry Coyer is a good defensive coordinator and good enough to manage their elite franchise's defense.

People that slam Coyer frequently ignore the crapy defensive line he had, as well as the numbers. Just look up how our defense looked before and after Coyer.

I'd also like anyone here to say they wouldn't want Coyer back after the garbage we've been schlepping out on the field.

I say good luck to you, Mr. Coyer. Sorry you got sand-bagged by Slowik turning the team against you. I bet you get a ring in three years.

Nah, it's just that Indy already owned Coyer's defense, they just thought it was time to make it official

rastaman
02-07-2009, 06:54 AM
IMHO, had Shanahan stuck with Coyer into the 2008 season, the Broncos would have fielded a much better Defense....thus saving Shanahan job! I would also imagine had Coyer stayed longer as DC, the Broncos would have had an identity defensively. Either way, a Coyer defense with the Broncos high scoring offense--with a healthy stable of RB's would have dominated the AFC west in 2008; and would have been a tough team beat in the playoffs.

On the flip side as well, had the Broncos had a full stable of healthy RB's to coincide with Cutler and the passing game.....Shanahan would still be the Bronco's head coach.

rastaman
02-07-2009, 06:58 AM

I believe defensively, Coyer could have held his own during those playoff meetings with Indy or the Steelers. The only problem was that Denver had a stagnant inconsistent OFFENSE during Coyer's tenure as DC.

Coyer Defensive schemes would have worked and performed great had it had an Offense that could take the pressure off the Defense.