PDA

View Full Version : The Ded Mock Off-Season

Dedhed
02-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Were I the GM in Denver, this would be my off-season plan.

Free Agency/Trades-

1-Target Nnamde Asomugha. While CB is not our top need on defense, it sets up the rest of the off-season. Nnamde is just entering his prime and with Champ viewing his prime in the rear-view, Nnamde is now the best all-around CB in the league.

2-With Nnamde signed I start shopping Champ. I hate to do it, but this defense needs an overhaul, and Champ can help that process the most by netting us another 2nd round selection. I have the Dolphins as a trading partner; they have 2 second rounders, and will not hesitate to use one of them on Champ as opposed to a rookie CB.

These two moves upgrade the secondary and net us an extra 2nd round selection.

3-Sign Chris Canty- Canty didn't have a great year in '08, but he's still a very good DE in a 3-4 and an easy upgrade over anyone who Denver currently has on the roster. His down performance last year will just make him more affordable, and there's little doubt he would have a positive impact in Denver.

4-Re-sign Kenny Peterson- Peterson is a perfect fit of the transition to the 3-4. He can play inside in the 4-3 and bump outside in the 3-4. Probably the most valuable DL on the team the last couple of years, and he'll be more valuable during the scheme shift.

5-Sign James Sanders. Sanders has developed into a very solid player, and will help bring the Patriot culture that Mcdaniels is going to try to implement. Very young at 25 he'll upgrade the safety position while not breaking the bank (which has already been broken with the signing of Nnamde). I'm not biting on Otagwe who, imo, is Deltha O'Neill at the safety position. Impressive INT #s cover up for how often he costs his team in over pursuit and poor angles.

6-Sign Derrick Ward- This is the one bone the offense is going to get. I think that Hillis's value is much higher in Mcdaniels's scheme which often runs single back sets and will feature Peyton's receiving abilities. Ward is a veteran that will be a perfect backup behind Hillis. He runs hard and catches the ball very well.

The Draft-

Round 1- Rey Maualuga. I know people have concerns about him, but I think he is exactly what this defense needs: a leader and physical presence on the field who has the ability to bring the best out of his teammates. His grit and non-stop motor is exactly what this team has been lacking. He's a perfect fit next to DJ in the middle of a 3-4 scheme.

Round 2a-Patrick Chung- Chung has been a rock on the ducks season. A physical player who does not miss games, Chung is very effective down in the box, and is solid in coverage. Doesn't cover space like an Ed Reed, but who does. For as good as he is in run support Chung is very good in coverage and knows how to play the ball in the air. He's a huge upgrade over anyone the Broncos have thrown out there at either safety position recently.

Round 2b- Ron Brace- This may be a little bit of a reach, as it's hard to get a read on Brace from his college performance. However, he fits the mold of a true NT in a 3-4, and the Broncos have to get a true NT prospect. Brace is the best prospect coming out in that mold. He's a monster who is going to be difficult to move, and I think he has the potential to be a better NT than he was a 4-3 DT in college.

Round 3-Jarron Gilbert- A DT in college, he's a prototypical 3-4 DE in the pros but has the ability to play DT in the 4-3 as the Broncos transition. He was impossible to block in college, and will be a versatile player for the Broncos. In 11 games, Gilbert has 47 tackles, 21.5 TFL, and 9 sacks, and will be an immediate impact player in the DL rotation.

Day 2 Targets-

Conner Barwin-likely gone, but has a world of potential as a 3-4 OLB, and has the type of versatility that the Patriots have built a reputation on.

David Veikune- Just an absolute warrior who brings limitless energy to the field and his teammates. Can play with his hand on the ground or stand up as an LB in the 3-4.

Sammie Lee Hill- A small school NT prospect who could turn be a great grab in the later rounds.

AQ Shipley- A nasty Center who could be a great fit in Denver and take over when Casey retires.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Enough with the cornerbacks. We need front 7. If you're gonna make a splash with a big name in free agency, let it be haynesworth, sugges, and peppers. Good cornerbacks are rendered useless if there's no pass rush. A great pass rush can make average corners good. As we all know, it doesnt work the other way around

socalorado
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Enough with the cornerbacks. We need front 7. If you're gonna make a splash with a big name in free agency, let it be haynesworth, sugges, and peppers. Good cornerbacks are rendered useless if there's no pass rush. A great pass rush can make average corners good. As we all know, it doesnt work the other way around

One aspect of his draft is that it gets DEN another 2nd rounder.
DEN really doesnt lose anything. (ok, the money) but they get that valuable
2nd rounder which DEN desperately needs to rebuild. Champ is old, so DEN gets young again, one less position to fill.
Either way, its not that bad.

You are right though, a good pass rush makes average corners look really good.

Mediator12
02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
That is a perfect scenario kind of thing, but it looks great ;D

Rather have Raji than Rey though. I have changed my mind after reviewing some tape of Casey Hampton and Vince Wilfork about Raji being too Short to shed blockers and to play NT. He compares quite favorably to those 2 players and can be much more versatile as a DT/NT than a MIKE.

Hey, you sign up to draft? If not want to work with me like last year?

Gcver2ver3
02-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Were I the GM in Denver, this would be my off-season plan.

Free Agency/Trades-

1-Target Nnamde Asomugha. While CB is not our top need on defense, it sets up the rest of the off-season. Nnamde is just entering his prime and with Champ viewing his prime in the rear-view, Nnamde is now the best all-around CB in the league.

2-With Nnamde signed I start shopping Champ. I hate to do it, but this defense needs an overhaul, and Champ can help that process the most by netting us another 2nd round selection. I have the Dolphins as a trading partner; they have 2 second rounders, and will not hesitate to use one of them on Champ as opposed to a rookie CB.

These two moves upgrade the secondary and net us an extra 2nd round selection.

3-Sign Chris Canty- Canty didn't have a great year in '08, but he's still a very good DE in a 3-4 and an easy upgrade over anyone who Denver currently has on the roster. His down performance last year will just make him more affordable, and there's little doubt he would have a positive impact in Denver.

4-Re-sign Kenny Peterson- Peterson is a perfect fit of the transition to the 3-4. He can play inside in the 4-3 and bump outside in the 3-4. Probably the most valuable DL on the team the last couple of years, and he'll be more valuable during the scheme shift.

5-Sign James Sanders. Sanders has developed into a very solid player, and will help bring the Patriot culture that Mcdaniels is going to try to implement. Very young at 25 he'll upgrade the safety position while not breaking the bank (which has already been broken with the signing of Nnamde). I'm not biting on Otagwe who, imo, is Deltha O'Neill at the safety position. Impressive INT #s cover up for how often he costs his team in over pursuit and poor angles.

6-Sign Derrick Ward- This is the one bone the offense is going to get. I think that Hillis's value is much higher in Mcdaniels's scheme which often runs single back sets and will feature Peyton's receiving abilities. Ward is a veteran that will be a perfect backup behind Hillis. He runs hard and catches the ball very well.

The Draft-

Round 1- Rey Maualuga. I know people have concerns about him, but I think he is exactly what this defense needs: a leader and physical presence on the field who has the ability to bring the best out of his teammates. His grit and non-stop motor is exactly what this team has been lacking. He's a perfect fit next to DJ in the middle of a 3-4 scheme.

Round 2a-Patrick Chung- Chung has been a rock on the ducks season. A physical player who does not miss games, Chung is very effective down in the box, and is solid in coverage. Doesn't cover space like an Ed Reed, but who does. For as good as he is in run support Chung is very good in coverage and knows how to play the ball in the air. He's a huge upgrade over anyone the Broncos have thrown out there at either safety position recently.

Round 2b- Ron Brace- This may be a little bit of a reach, as it's hard to get a read on Brace from his college performance. However, he fits the mold of a true NT in a 3-4, and the Broncos have to get a true NT prospect. Brace is the best prospect coming out in that mold. He's a monster who is going to be difficult to move, and I think he has the potential to be a better NT than he was a 4-3 DT in college.

Round 3-Jarron Gilbert- A DT in college, he's a prototypical 3-4 DE in the pros but has the ability to play DT in the 4-3 as the Broncos transition. He was impossible to block in college, and will be a versatile player for the Broncos. In 11 games, Gilbert has 47 tackles, 21.5 TFL, and 9 sacks, and will be an immediate impact player in the DL rotation.

Day 2 Targets-

Conner Barwin-likely gone, but has a world of potential as a 3-4 OLB, and has the type of versatility that the Patriots have built a reputation on.

David Veikune- Just an absolute warrior who brings limitless energy to the field and his teammates. Can play with his hand on the ground or stand up as an LB in the 3-4.

Sammie Lee Hill- A small school NT prospect who could turn be a great grab in the later rounds.

AQ Shipley- A nasty Center who could be a great fit in Denver and take over when Casey retires.

i like most aspects but isn't Asomugha most likely to be franchised?...

if so it would cost us two 1st rounders to get him because the Raiders aren't going to negotiate with us for him...

we can't afford to pay that much for the guy, esp considering CB isn't our area of weakness (comparatively speaking)...

front seven needs to be addressed the most and i'd like to see us go after Darren Sproles...

he would compliment Hillis perfectly and would be a better version of Kevin Faulk in McDaniel's offense...

SonOfLe-loLang
02-06-2009, 11:01 AM
One aspect of his draft is that it gets DEN another 2nd rounder.
DEN really doesnt lose anything. (ok, the money) but they get that valuable
2nd rounder which DEN desperately needs to rebuild. Champ is old, so DEN gets young again, one less position to fill.
Either way, its not that bad.

You are right though, a good pass rush makes average corners look really good.

I wouldn't necessarily mind getting champ, but funnel that extra money into the front seven instead of just replacing him with another corner. I'm all for fortifying that front seven with all resources. We get that constant push, we can live with average cornerbacks

Dedhed
02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Did you read past "Nnamde Asomghua"? If you had, you would see that I add 5 players to the front seven through FA and day 1 of the draft.

People talking about Haynesworth and Peppers are pipe dreaming. Both are going to get outrageous contracts, and neither one of them fits the 3-4 that we're clearly going to be moving towards. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Dedhed
02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
That is a perfect scenario kind of thing, but it looks great ;D

Rather have Raji than Rey though. I have changed my mind after reviewing some tape of Casey Hampton and Vince Wilfork about Raji being too Short to shed blockers and to play NT. He compares quite favorably to those 2 players and can be much more versatile as a DT/NT than a MIKE.

Hey, you sign up to draft? If not want to work with me like last year?

You at least have to plan for the perfect scenario, right? I went with Rey because I think Raji is going to go in the top 10, but I agree that he would be tough to pass on if he fell to #12.

I didn't sign up to draft, but if you have a team, I'd definitely be into working together. Let me know.

Snarfalicious
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I agree with the post above (SonofLe-lolang). If we're going to trade Champ, I would rather see the money we will free up to be put towards rebuilding the front 7 and addressing our Safety positions. I think there are plenty of options at CB (McFadden, Greer, Robinson, Buchanon) who could possibly come here for a fraction of Asomugha, and rightfully so, they aren't on the same level. But They are all relatively young corners, all have loads of talent, and with a solid front 7 (after FA and the draft), they would be a very solid DB group.

For example, if we were to trade Champ, I would like to see us add either Atogwe/Phillips/Jones, Mike Wright, Bart Scott, and possibly one of the aforementioned CB's. Instantly we would address 4 holes on each level of the D. In the draft, with the first I would look to move down, with the signing of Bart Scott, the ILB position would be addressed (DJ and Bart) and I really think the only player of Brown, Orakpo, Curry, Maualuga and Raji will only leave Maualuga left. That would allow us to move down, add up yet another second rounder, and then grab a guy like Larry English, Aaron Maybin or Tyson Jackson with our later 1st rounder.

Personally, I wouldn't mind getting English, which would give us the flexibility to decide whether English would play ILB while Scott played OLB or vice versa. In the 2nd we would now have 3 picks. I will pretend as though we got Atogwe, who is a FS, then I would like to see us address SS, NT, and possibly another OLB/DE. That would be ideal, is it realistic, doubtful, but to me that would be the ideal situation if that was the cards we were dealt.

Dedhed
02-06-2009, 11:15 AM

if so it would cost us two 1st rounders to get him because the Raiders aren't going to negotiate with us for him...

we can't afford to pay that much for the guy, esp considering CB isn't our area of weakness (comparatively speaking)...

front seven needs to be addressed the most and i'd like to see us go after Darren Sproles...

he would compliment Hillis perfectly and would be a better version of Kevin Faulk in McDaniel's offense...As it stands they haven't franchised Nnamde, and I'm just dealing with present reality. The first 2 steps of this scenario are gone if Nnamde is tagged. If that were the case, I would make a big push to go after Terrell Suggs.

I like the idea of Sproles too, but I would imagine that if we start sniffing around Sproles the Chargers will just outspend us to keep him.

Dedhed
02-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I agree with the post above (SonofLe-lolang). If we're going to trade Champ, I would rather see the money we will free up to be put towards rebuilding the front 7 and addressing our Safety positions. I think there are plenty of options at CB (McFadden, Greer, Robinson, Buchanon) who could possibly come here for a fraction of Asomugha, and rightfully so, they aren't on the same level. But They are all relatively young corners, all have loads of talent, and with a solid front 7 (after FA and the draft), they would be a very solid DB group.

For example, if we were to trade Champ, I would like to see us add either Atogwe/Phillips/Jones, Mike Wright, Bart Scott, and possibly one of the aforementioned CB's. Instantly we would address 4 holes on each level of the D. In the draft, with the first I would look to move down, with the signing of Bart Scott, the ILB position would be addressed (DJ and Bart) and I really think the only player of Brown, Orakpo, Curry, Maualuga and Raji will only leave Maualuga left. That would allow us to move down, add up yet another second rounder, and then grab a guy like Larry English, Aaron Maybin or Tyson Jackson with our later 1st rounder.

Personally, I wouldn't mind getting English, which would give us the flexibility to decide whether English would play ILB while Scott played OLB or vice versa. In the 2nd we would now have 3 picks. I will pretend as though we got Atogwe, who is a FS, then I would like to see us address SS, NT, and possibly another OLB/DE. That would be ideal, is it realistic, doubtful, but to me that would be the ideal situation if that was the cards we were dealt.
If we trade Champ, we've taken the one relatively strong part of the defense and turned it into a weakness. If Bly is our #1 CB, we're hurting. Trading Champ after signing Nnamde upgrades that unit for the next 4 years, and gives us an early pick to upgrade the front 7. I wouldn't think of trading Champ without first adding a legitcorner in FA.

There has hardly been any trading back recently because teams know that all day one picks are very valuable. The talent from picks 11-60 is fairly even, and teams find guys that fit their scheme. There's hardly ever a guy at #12 that some team just has to have. There will be a dozen teams looking to move back in round one to do what you describe above, and maybe 2 teams who see a guy that really feel like that need. That makes it pretty difficult to pull off.

Gcver2ver3
02-06-2009, 11:29 AM
As it stands they haven't franchised Nnamde, and I'm just dealing with present reality. The first 2 steps of this scenario are gone if Nnamde is tagged. If that were the case, I would make a big push to go after Terrell Suggs.

I like the idea of Sproles too, but I would imagine that if we start sniffing around Sproles the Chargers will just outspend us to keep him.

oh ok...thats cool...

as for darren sproles...the Chargers could try but we have more money to spend than them...with that said, i'd prefer sproles but i don't want to see us get into a bidding war for the guy...

but i get excited at thinking what Sproles could do in our offense (and ST)...plus, being that he's not an every down back, i couldn't possibly see SD franchising him and pay him top 5 RB money...

if there were one FA wish i'd like the most, it's prolly Suggs...

but Sproles may be 2nd on my wish list...

Snarfalicious
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
If we trade Champ, we've taken the one relatively strong part of the defense and turned it into a weakness. If Bly is our #1 CB, we're hurting. Trading Champ after signing Nnamde upgrades that unit for the next 4 years, and gives us an early pick to upgrade the front 7. I wouldn't think of trading Champ without first adding a legitcorner in FA.

There has hardly been any trading back recently because teams know that all day one picks are very valuable. The talent from picks 11-60 is fairly even, and teams find guys that fit their scheme. There's hardly ever a guy at #12 that some team just has to have. There will be a dozen teams looking to move back in round one to do what you describe above, and maybe 2 teams who see a guy that really feel like that need. That makes it pretty difficult to pull off.

I'll go one paragraph at a time.

If we were to trade Champ, most likely we would use one of those extra 2nd rounder's I mentioned on a CB. The FA we would bring in would most likely be our #1 (I consider Robinson, McFadden, and Buchanon all better than Bly since they all have better intangibles and are all phsyical). Bly would remain the #2 CB. But, with a revamped front 7, one that can actually apply pressure, the decrease in talent at CB wouldn't be as big of an issue.

As for moving back, the team that makes the most sense would be New England. They hold the 23rd overall pick, and they also have 2 2nd rounders. They have a LB corps that is becoming geriatric. Matt Light playing LT was obviously not the answer, and Kaczur is barely serviceable. If any of the top 4 OT (Smith, Oher, Smith, Monroe) were there at 12 I believe they might be willing to move up infront of teams like Washington, Minnesota, Detroit (if they go with QB #1). I do believe the 4 aforementioned OT's will soon be deemed as top 15 type players as well. They also might covet Maualuga to pair with Mayo on the inside. That duo of Mayo and Mauluga might have the Pats drooling. It does make sense, the Pats have big needs at OT and ILB, so if they were willing to make a trade to move up, Denver's pick at #12 would put them right in the thick of the OT's and ILB's.

Obviously, if a guy like Raji, Brown, Orakpo, or Curry were there, we better not trade back. And if Nolan and Martindale feel that Maualuga is a stud in the making, then I hope we do take Maualuga, but if they aren't sold on him and the 4 others aren't there, I hope we look for trade options.

Dedhed
02-06-2009, 02:27 PM
If we were to trade Champ, most likely we would use one of those extra 2nd rounder's I mentioned on a CB. The FA we would bring in would most likely be our #1 (I consider Robinson, McFadden, and Buchanon all better than Bly since they all have better intangibles and are all phsyical). Bly would remain the #2 CB. But, with a revamped front 7, one that can actually apply pressure, the decrease in talent at CB wouldn't be as big of an issue.
I don't know why you would trade Champ just to target an unknown quantity at CB with the pick you trade him for. If you trade Champ you have to sign a top-tier CB or use an early pick on a CB.

With Nnamde, you've upgraded over Champ by getting the best in the game, and you can use the Champ pick to upgrade the DL where the FA pool is thin. All we're out is the cash which we have plenty of.

As for moving back, the team that makes the most sense would be New England. They hold the 23rd overall pick, and they also have 2 2nd rounders. They have a LB corps that is becoming geriatric. Matt Light playing LT was obviously not the answer, and Kaczur is barely serviceable. If any of the top 4 OT (Smith, Oher, Smith, Monroe) were there at 12 I believe they might be willing to move up infront of teams like Washington, Minnesota, Detroit (if they go with QB #1). I do believe the 4 aforementioned OT's will soon be deemed as top 15 type players as well. They also might covet Maualuga to pair with Mayo on the inside. That duo of Mayo and Mauluga might have the Pats drooling. It does make sense, the Pats have big needs at OT and ILB, so if they were willing to make a trade to move up, Denver's pick at #12 would put them right in the thick of the OT's and ILB's.

It's still unlikely.

BroncoMan4ever
02-06-2009, 05:30 PM
if i were GM. i negotiate Bly's deal down a little, and keep our Corners the same.
I target in FA Canty, Dansby, James Sanders, and either of these 2 Atogwe and Landry(from baltimore)

Assley Lelie(deep threat and could be had cheap) and a NT(not sure on any of the NT available yet)

in the draft i go after Curry, or Everett Brown at 12, if not there i trade back to the 20's pick up another 2nd and grab Tyson Jackson or Cushing in the 1st

In the 2nd i go after Brace and Chung(our defense proved we can't have enough depth at Safety)

in the 3rd i go after Rashard Jennings

the rest of the draft, i address depth on the lines, a new return man(Tate), LB depth for ST and maybe a backup QB.

that plan fixes our Safety position, brings in quality at the LB position, helps out the DL, completes and balances out our offense, and makes us a contender.

Drek
02-07-2009, 05:31 AM

he would compliment Hillis perfectly and would be a better version of Kevin Faulk in McDaniel's offense...

Asomugha is very unlikely to be franchise tagged at this point.

It'd be a second tagged year so the cap number would be $14.65M, and the Raiders are butting their heads against the cap already. If they tag him they'll be forced to cut a ton of guys, and it won't be the dead weight signings like Kwame Harris who they're still upside down on because those guys don't actually free any money up. They'd need to cut a lot of younger, recently drafted talent.

nickademus
02-07-2009, 01:07 PM
if i were GM. i negotiate Bly's deal down a little, and keep our Corners the same.
I target in FA Canty, Dansby, James Sanders, and either of these 2 Atogwe and Landry(from baltimore)

Assley Lelie(deep threat and could be had cheap) and a NT(not sure on any of the NT available yet)

in the draft i go after Curry, or Everett Brown at 12, if not there i trade back to the 20's pick up another 2nd and grab Tyson Jackson or Cushing in the 1st

In the 2nd i go after Brace and Chung(our defense proved we can't have enough depth at Safety)

in the 3rd i go after Rashard Jennings

the rest of the draft, i address depth on the lines, a new return man(Tate), LB depth for ST and maybe a backup QB.

that plan fixes our Safety position, brings in quality at the LB position, helps out the DL, completes and balances out our offense, and makes us a contender.

Switch Dansby for Bart Scott (I dont think he will be available) and Landry is RFA so we would have to see IMHO we go with a Different plan at S. I would target FS OJ Atogwe as our big FA signing. I love the pick up of Canty, I also like Sean Jones in Cle as a SS but IMHO we would be fine with Chung out of the draft at SS as well. sign me up for Jennings love that pick but I do think that after the bowl season he will slip into the 4th only because of the kid at Uconn and Shonn Greene. At wr I would rather have D. Henderson than Assholelilly he is a better reciever and a better deep threat.

I have been back and forth on what I think we should do with our first pick in the draft. I think Malauga would be a good fit and then make sure we get Brace in the second I do think we need another 2nd round pick to grab Chung S has really thined out in this draft with the ammount of guys who stayed in school. I would take a 3rd rd RB and I think there will be a good one that slips. We could also look to adress more of the D with a guy like Mathews if he fell but honestly if we dont go RB I would like Max Unger here not sure he will last this long but we are going to need a C after this season open the comp with Litch, Unger, and Hamilton. I am not sure what we would have left after we aquire another 2nd but the word of the scond day should be Depth we will need it.

Dedhed
02-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Asomugha is very unlikely to be franchise tagged at this point.

It'd be a second tagged year so the cap number would be $14.65M, and the Raiders are butting their heads against the cap already. If they tag him they'll be forced to cut a ton of guys, and it won't be the dead weight signings like Kwame Harris who they're still upside down on because those guys don't actually free any money up. They'd need to cut a lot of younger, recently drafted talent.

I knew there was a reason I thought Nnamdi was unlikely to be tagged, and I really think he should be our guy. He's the BPA on the FA market. I have no interest in Peppers or Haynesworth; Haynesworth is a crapper of a person, and Peppers is likely to coast for the rest of his career. Add in the fact that neither of them fit the scheme we're likely to run in the future, and they should both be avoided like the plague.

Sign Nnamdi, trade Champ!

Drek
02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I knew there was a reason I thought Nnamdi was unlikely to be tagged, and I really think he should be our guy. He's the BPA on the FA market. I have no interest in Peppers or Haynesworth; Haynesworth is a crapper of a person, and Peppers is likely to coast for the rest of his career. Add in the fact that neither of them fit the scheme we're likely to run in the future, and they should both be avoided like the plague.

Sign Nnamdi, trade Champ!

I didn't think I'd agree with much of that a year ago, but now? Pretty much spot on.

Champ has sacrificed himself for this organization but he's tough to keep on the field. I'd take a 2nd rounder for him if we could sign Nnamdi and eat the cap hit this year before reupping Marshall next year.

Haynesworth is always a risk from a character standpoint, and for all the talk of how often DTs bust in the draft I think a lot of people are missing how often they bust in FA too. Its such a system and scheme dependent position where your supporting cast needs to be just right in order for someone to be that big impact star, its too much of a risk to drop $15M a year on.

And while I'm a big admirer of how athletically gifted Peppers is, he's clearly looking for a "set for life" deal to coast out of the NFL on. He's a 5-8 plays a game guy and he makes **** happen on those 5-8 plays but otherwise he's incredibly average. You don't pay eight figures annually for a guy who is only giving average production 75% of the time.

ColoradoBuff
02-08-2009, 12:07 PM
chung had bad reviews in coverage from the senior bowl. no thanks!

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I didn't think I'd agree with much of that a year ago, but now? Pretty much spot on.

Champ has sacrificed himself for this organization but he's tough to keep on the field. I'd take a 2nd rounder for him if we could sign Nnamdi and eat the cap hit this year before reupping Marshall next year.

I actually think the sooner we re-sign Marshall the better. When he goes out next season, has 100 catches again, 1300 yards, 10TD's and another pro bowl, he will have played himself to quite possibly the highest WR contract in the league.
Right now we would have to give him a good deal, but it wouldn't be a Top-5 contract, because he still has too many drops, has in the past had a few problems with the law, and has himself admitted his arm isn't 100%.

nickademus
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
chung had bad reviews in coverage from the senior bowl. no thanks!

This would be horrible if he were FS but hes a SS and there are worse starting SS in the league than Chung.

Dedhed
02-09-2009, 03:07 AM
there are worse starting SS in the league than Chung.

Many of which currently call Denver home.

Dedhed
02-09-2009, 03:10 AM
chung had bad reviews in coverage from the senior bowl. no thanks!For as well as Chung plays the run, his coverage skills are excellent compared to most SS in the league. He's got John Lynch beat by about 200% on the coverage front, and is about 80% of what Lynch was in run support.