PDA

View Full Version : Not that anyone cares, but David Beckham is leaving American Soccer

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.faniq.com/blog/David-Beckham-Wants-To-Leave-The-LA-Galaxy-For-AC-Milan-Blog-18889

As you're probably well aware of, David Beckham wants out of LA. After heading over in a player loan to AC Milan, he's pretty much decided that his run in America - and desire to make the sport popular here - is officially over.

The main reason Beckham wants out is because he wants to try and play for England in the 2010 World Cup, and frankly, he thinks playing in the US won't help him one bit in that regard. He's even openly admitted that.

''I think people have seen the way I've been since playing at this level again (with AC Milan). It's nothing against the MLS and the football over there, because it's a game that will grow but it will take quite a few years.

''I'm still confident that will happen eventually, but I want to have a chance of being involved in 2010 and I believe my best chance of doing so is to remain here.''

He came, he played, he got bored and left. In the end, Soccer is still ignored by all. Nice try, Beckham.

Doggcow
02-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Peace douche.

Natedog24
02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Not really surprising considering how well Beckham was playing for Milan. Now does the Donovan get to stay in Europe too?

PS: Feb 11 Go USA stomp Mexico (agian)!!!

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Lol

JJG
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
beckham, as a player is not all that special anymore. The MLS will miss his star power more than anything.

But he's right, it will take some time for the mls to grow. Its probably a generation away from competing with the big boys.

OBF1
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Your right... I could care less. If he and his stupid wife leave SoCal, the towns IQ will rise dramatically

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Who is this cat???

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Its probably a generation away from competing with the big boys.

If by a generation you mean 1000 years, then I agree.

Smiling Assassin27
02-05-2009, 10:55 AM
The guy is still a viable player, IMO. He reminds me of a guy like Big Ben in that he provides intangibles, some quality play, and just seems to win a whole lot more than he loses.

tsiguy96
02-05-2009, 10:55 AM
soccer will never, ever overtake american football. the last superbowl was watched by what was it, 151 million people?

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
The only purpose soccer has in America is for young kids to run around and burn off some excess energy.

Killericon
02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
So, how much of his quarter billion did he earn?

broncocalijohn
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
When did adults start playing soccer? I played it as a kid but ended in my teenage years like every red blooded American. What is the Galaxy, Beckham and this "football" he is referring to that must not be what I know as football? Why is Kaylore telling us about something that must be a recreational league or something for foreigners over here in the USA?

clint7
02-05-2009, 11:07 AM
What is this "soccer" you guys keeping posting about? Is this a new reality show on VH1 or something?

montrose
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
What is this "soccer" you guys keeping posting about? Is this a new reality show on VH1 or something?

It comes on after Real Chance at Love and before Hogan Knows Best.

ak1971
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Damn..now I will have to take down his poster and put Kaylores back up

Smiling Assassin27
02-05-2009, 11:15 AM

yeah, the game was invented by that little black dude in a viking helmet...you know, erkel's dad.

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:tQUPs3Zv_S0w9M:http://image.com.com/mp3/images/genie_images/story/2006/f/flavorflav02_story.jpg

JJG
02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
If by a generation you mean 1000 years, then I agree.

no, I mean generation as in generation. We have the foundation in place and it is growing in popularity.

But, it will never overtake football in the us.

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM
no, I mean generation as in generation. We have the foundation in place and it is growing in popularity.

But, it will never overtake football in the us.

Has it overtaken lacrosse yet?

broncocalijohn
02-05-2009, 11:24 AM
What is lacrosse?

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
What is lacrosse?

I think it is like soccer but teams score once in awhile.

DHallblows
02-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Hooray sports ignorance!

Beantown Bronco
02-05-2009, 11:27 AM
What's funny is if you go to espn.com and look at the banner across the top portion of the page with all the links to the specific pages by sport.....

Soccer is listed before the nhl.

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Hooray sports ignorance!

Hooray someone with an opinon

JJG
02-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Has it overtaken lacrosse yet?

was it ever behind?

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
was it ever behind?

I don't know. Those other sports are all the same to me - though the Mammoth game I went to last year was pretty fun.

Taco John
02-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't know David Beckham if I saw him on the street.

JJG
http://www.oleole.com/blogs/synthetic-turf/posts/soccer-attendance-in-the-united-states-to-pass-basketball-and-hockey-in-2009
Much to the shagrin of anti-soccer “journalists” with strange goatees, all the signs point to Major League Soccer over-taking the NBA and possibly NHL in attendance figures by next year. Stats since 2006 show the MLS inching closer to numbers put up by professional Basketball and Hockey, which by next year could plant them third behind Major League Baseball and the National Football League domestically.

This figure doesn't include events like NASCAR, but who are we kidding? A bunch of rednecks driving around in circles for three hours inhaling gas fumes isn't a sport.

Three factors look to cause soccer's rise including the sport's overall growth and the economic recession. The biggest impact however will most likely be the addition of the newest MLS franchise the Seattle Sounders FC.

MLS attendance this year has has averaged 16,222 fans per game nearing the NBA average of 17,393 and the NHL average 17,305. This figure doesn't take into account the fact that MLS has yet to play out their final two weeks of the season, which generally see an upswing in attendance as the playoff picture heats up. The league is on track to pass last year's attendance total by this Sunday.

The economy will also have an effect on fan attendance. You can't turn around without being reminded of the recent recession in the United States and with tickets to NBA and NHL games, often costing in the hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars, it wont be long before the financial impact hits fans. Although the NHL isn't quite as pricey as the NBA, their average ticket is still over $40, nearly twice as much as the MLS average of $22.

In fact if you want an instructional DVD on how to alienate fans and lose revenue look into commissioning the NBA, whose exorbitantly high ticket prices and consistent relocation of franchises have seen attendance remain stagnant since 1995, despite the addition of three new teams. Since 1998 viewership of the NBA Finals has dropped by over 50% and just recently the league announced it was laying off employees due to economic cut-backs.

Those two factors combined should make stats between the leagues close next year, but what will put the MLS over the top?

Following this year's relocation of the Seattle Sonics to Oklahoma City, which at best was immoral and at worst illegal, it might just be that same city and Seattle's newest professional sports team, the Seattle Sounders FC, who push soccer ahead of basketball and hockey.

After seeing their beloved NBA franchise snatched from their hands, the Seahawks eliminate themselves from playoff contention 5 games into the season and the drowning Mariners become the first Baseball team in history to have a 100 million dollar pay roll and lose 100 games, Seattle's bitter fans (and rightfully so) are hungry for a winner.

Sounders FC have already sold over 18,000 season tickets ahead of their April 2009 debut and look to rival the Los Angeles Galaxy for the league's highest attendance. That figure is already above the NBA and NHL averages and can only increase in the six remaining months left before the season begins.

Here are some more MLS attendance facts:

The top 5 MLS teams together averaged higher attendance than 85% of the NBA and every NHL team but the Montreal Canadians.
This year the Los Angeles Galaxy averaged higher attendance than every team in the NBA, NHL and 7 Major League Baseball franchises.
The highest attendance for an MLS game so far this year was 54,045 when FC Dallas faced New England in June.
In Los Angeles, Toronto and Washingon DC MLS teams outdraw both their NBA and NHL counterparts.

Atlas
When did adults start playing soccer? I played it as a kid but ended in my teenage years like every red blooded American. What is the Galaxy, Beckham and this "football" he is referring to that must not be what I know as football? Why is Kaylore telling us about something that must be a recreational league or something for foreigners over here in the USA?

The adults that play soccer weren't good enough to play Football, Basketball, Baseball or Hockey.

GSRelyea
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Not really surprising considering how well Beckham was playing for Milan. Now does the Donovan get to stay in Europe too?

Can't wait for that game, heading out to Columbus on Tuesday!!!!

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
The adults that play soccer weren't good enough to play Football, Basketball, Baseball or Hockey.

or march in the band

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
or march in the band

Or play Magic the Gathering.

Atlas
02-05-2009, 11:42 AM

The top 5 MLS teams together averaged higher attendance than 85% of the NBA and every NHL team but the Montreal Canadians.
This year the Los Angeles Galaxy averaged higher attendance than every team in the NBA, NHL and 7 Major League Baseball franchises.
The highest attendance for an MLS game so far this year was 54,045 when FC Dallas faced New England in June.
In Los Angeles, Toronto and Washingon DC MLS teams outdraw both their NBA and NHL counterparts.

Haven't we beat these to death?? a lot of these Soccer teams play in stadiums not arena like NBA team, thus raising their average attendance. Does anyone want to venture what The Boston Celtics might draw if they played in a 100,000 seat arena. The NHL, MLB and the NBA all play more games than Soccer thus they won't draw as a much on a per game basis. Why don't we discuss what each sport draws on total attendance for the whole year and see where soccer is?? Or compare how much each sport makes in total revenue on an annual basis?? Lastly soccer is totally irrelevant on TV. Nobody cares. I suppose soccer could over take hockey, but that is about it. In a few years when there are more illegal immigrants here anyway.

Soccer blows

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Soccer blows

Close thread

TheDave
02-05-2009, 11:47 AM
No way man... llama told me Beckam was the biggest American sporting news EVER!!!

socalorado
02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Can't wait for that game, heading out to Columbus on Tuesday!!!!

http://itsfunnyhoney.com/images/pictures/soccer-players.jpg

azbroncfan
02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
People play soccer huh? It is so irrellevant in the United States and is kept for the accross sea people who are a little more metrosexual compared to their american counter parts.

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 12:01 PM
No way man... llama told me Beckam was the biggest American sporting news EVER!!!

Hey, man! It's McSkillet now!

chadta
02-05-2009, 12:33 PM
america has soccer ?

Archer81
02-05-2009, 12:39 PM
So no more photos of Becks in his undies on billboards in times square?...DAMN...

:Broncos:

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
So no more photos of Becks in his undies on billboards in times square?...DAMN...

Ah no...we'll still have those.

24champ
02-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Maybe AEG, Uncle Phil and Tim Lieweke can focus on the LA Kings now.

Archer81
02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Ah no...we'll still have those.

Oh, then all is right in my world...continue...:twokisses

kappys
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I like watching real soccer matches but the problem is that the talent pools are too diluted. Imagine if Europe had a 30 team league and every game was Man U vs. Juventus or Barcelona vs. Bayen Munich. I think it would gain a great amount of traction. But when I have to put on Ipswich vs. Wigan its unwatchable.

cutthemdown
02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
They only came because they thought maybe his wife could get in some tv shows or they would get good reality thing going. They forgot we could care less.

Dudeskey
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
LOL @ the LA Galaxy. jokes really on them...™

azbroncfan
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM

Llama also got the brooms out for the Mavs over the Heat in the finals and said there was no way Miami would win more than one game at best. He has said a bunch of other over dramatic predictions of his favorite athlete of the week on several occasions.

broncocalijohn
02-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Haven't we beat these to death?? blah blah blah came after this....
Soccer blows

This is all you needed for a response. I posted this not reading past Atlas's post but this thing wont die if Dramallama comes around to this one once he done crying about the God had Kurt Warner losing thread. Paint drying is more exciting than soccer.

Archer81
02-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I would think Rugby would become the next major sport in the US before soccer would. IMO.

Killericon
02-05-2009, 01:33 PM

I call bull**** on that. Toronto FC does not outdraw the Maple Leafs.

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I used to dislike soccer but have come to like it a lot since around 2000.

Been to 10 or so MLS games and have done some photography work for the team in Kansas City. They are starting work on a soccer only stadium in the area that will be home to the Wizards in a few years.

I don't think soccer in the US is trying to overtake American Football. I am not sure where that straw man is coming from. A lot of people enjoy soccer in this country and that number of people is rising.

The people that go out of their way to knock it is puzzling to me. They spend a lot of time telling people they don't care about it.

Beckham leaving is troublesome for people in the marketing departments of MLS teams. The soccer fans? Not so much.

I look forward to the season starting again.

Spider
02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Is David beckham a big deal or something ?

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Toronto fans are all about it.

Here is a link to the waiting list for season tickets.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/waiting_list/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6e4tLV8JsLQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6e4tLV8JsLQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HoNbRmHULBI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HoNbRmHULBI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Is David beckham a big deal or something ?

He'd break off 2k in our old system

Spider
02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
He'd break off 2k in our old system
;D

chadta
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM

actually they do, there stadium holds 20,700 and the ACC only holds 19,700

no-pseudo-fan
02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Don't care much. He and the skinny @#$^& of his can stay in Europe.

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Whoa whoa just googled this and the French play soccer.

Enough said its not a sport

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Oh snap!

24champ
02-05-2009, 02:01 PM

They do get outdrawn by a thousand. Big deal.

However anyone that follows hockey or has been to Toronto, as I have, knows the Maple Leafs are the top dog in sports in Toronto.

Natedog24
02-05-2009, 02:07 PM

However anyone that follows hockey or has been to Toronto, as I have, knows the Maple Leafs are the top dog in sports in Toronto.

Well duh its Canada Ha!

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 02:19 PM

I would say it is a big deal for all the people having to listen to the nobody likes MLS soccer garbage.

Nobody is saying they are top dog compared to the Maple Leafs.

broncofan7
02-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Don't care much. He and the skinny @#$^& of his can stay in Europe.

Same goes for his NAZZZTY wife.

But realistically, this will hurt MLS..wherever the Galaxy went, those tickets were always packaged with other, less desirable games so each team was able to generate some extra revenue. FC Dallas and Pizza Hut park is literally right down the street from me and I go to around 6-8 games every year--TV does not do the physicality of Soccer justice. It is a great sport to watch in person --but ONLY when it's played in soccer only venues.

DHallblows
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM

****. Better let Baseball and Basketball know this too...

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
****. Better let Baseball and Basketball know this too...

Your right I should say play it well.

24champ
02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Well duh its Canada Ha!

I know, but people are stretching it a ton if they think Toronto FC is anywhere near close to the popularity that the Leafs have. If the Leafs had a 22,000 seat arena it would sell out.

Not to mention, tickets for the Leafs games are more expensive and harder to get than the MLS games.

Binkythefrog
02-05-2009, 02:57 PM
I for one truly prefer watching the Broncos over soccer. However, as a kid who was way too small to play football without fear of mortal injury I have played soccer all throughout my life.

I think it is an incredible sport. While some my say that a lack of scoring is boring, I think it creates tension and excitement. Soccer played at a crappy level is terrible to watch. While MLS is getting better, when you turn on a Premiership or the Champions League match vs MLS, you see the true awesomeness of it.

The skill required to be able to run 5-10 miles a game while being strong enough to hold off people running into you and the skill required to be able to handle the ball is unmatched in any sport. While football is a team sport, the skill level required is different. Most football players specialize in a position (unless you are Spencer Larsen). However in soccer, you really can't specialize because all players on a team need to contribute to scoring and defending. It is different, but still requires teamwork and skill.

And for those who think Beckham is crappy and that he should leave... the reason why he is leaving is so that he can play for England in South Africa. Playing poor opposition in the US won't help his chances to make his country's squad, but playing for Milan will only better prepare to him to play for his country.

There is a reason why it is the most popular sport in the world. The MLS will be popular someday. Its too bad that some Americans are so arrogant that they can't appreciate a sport. If the MLS can ever start holding on to some of the better players in the world, then more people will go to watch.

DHallblows
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Your right I should say play it well.

ROFL! There ya go. Of course that still makes basketball not a sport. (I already believed this, but it's good to know the French are adding to my reasons)

DHallblows
02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I for one truly prefer watching the Broncos over soccer. However, as a kid who was way too small to play football without fear of mortal injury I have played soccer all throughout my life.

I think it is an incredible sport. While some my say that a lack of scoring is boring, I think it creates tension and excitement. Soccer played at a crappy level is terrible to watch. While MLS is getting better, when you turn on a Premiership or the Champions League match vs MLS, you see the true awesomeness of it.

The skill required to be able to run 5-10 miles a game while being strong enough to hold off people running into you and the skill required to be able to handle the ball is unmatched in any sport. While football is a team sport, the skill level required is different. Most football players specialize in a position (unless you are Spencer Larsen). However in soccer, you really can't specialize because all players on a team need to contribute to scoring and defending. It is different, but still requires teamwork and skill.

And for those who think Beckham is crappy and that he should leave... the reason why he is leaving is so that he can play for England in South Africa. Playing poor opposition in the US won't help his chances to make his country's squad, but playing for Milan will only better prepare to him to play for his country.

There is a reason why it is the most popular sport in the world. The MLS will be popular someday. Its too bad that some Americans are so arrogant that they can't appreciate a sport. If the MLS can ever start holding on to some of the better players in the world, then more people will go to watch.

You're not allowed to post rational thoughts here. Europe plays it, so it's not a sport. The only sports that exist are those that we can win consistently.

Great post btw

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
You're not allowed to post rational thoughts here. Europe plays it, so it's not a sport. The only sports that exist are those that we can win consistently.
Great post btw

Ok that was funny

BABronco
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I would think Rugby would become the next major sport in the US before soccer would. IMO.

I hope! Great game to play and watch. I love the NZ team.

Archer81
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I hope! Great game to play and watch. I love the NZ team.

I like Ben Cohen, not sure who he plays for now.

BABronco
02-05-2009, 03:10 PM

ZZZ... ZZZ...

BABronco
02-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I like Ben Cohen, not sure who he plays for now.

Ever play the game?

Hogan11
02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Soccer is behind roller derby in this country.

Archer81
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Ever play the game?

I did with my brothers but just for fun. We eventually broke down into just get the guy with the ball-ball, but it was fun to run around and hit people.

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I know, but people are stretching it a ton if they think Toronto FC is anywhere near close to the popularity that the Leafs have. If the Leafs had a 22,000 seat arena it would sell out.

Not to mention, tickets for the Leafs games are more expensive and harder to get than the MLS games.
Again...

Nobody ever said that. They were talking about the draw...the attendance...and they were right.

Nobody is saying that the Maple Leafs are not as popular.

24champ
02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
All it shows is that the soccer stadium is bigger. Doesn't really mean anything.

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
All it shows is that the soccer stadium is bigger. Doesn't really mean anything.

What it is saying is more people go to the Toronton FC games than Maple Leaf games. If that wasn't the case you wouldn't be able to say it. And if only 10k people showed up to the soccer games you wouldn't be able to say it.

It is actually quite simple...you are the only one making it more than it is. That MLS team is really well supported and a lot of people enjoy following it.

Whenever someone actually comes around saying they are more popular than the Maple Leafs than feel free to start to pounce...until that it is just a straw man.

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 03:48 PM
That MLS team is really well supported and a lot of people enjoy following it.

Yeah...a lot of dumb people.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/hotgarbage101/oh_snap.gif

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
What it is saying is more people go to the Toronton FC games than Maple Leaf games. If that wasn't the case you wouldn't be able to say it. And if only 10k people showed up to the soccer games you wouldn't be able to say it.

It is actually quite simple...you are the only one making it more than it is. That MLS team is really well supported and a lot of people enjoy following it.

Whenever someone actually comes around saying they are more popular than the Maple Leafs than feel free to start to pounce...until that it is just a straw man.

A good number of people huff paint that does not make it a good thing.

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah...a lot of dumb people.

Still on the ol soccer thread?

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 03:58 PM
A good number of people huff paint that does not make it a good thing.

Are you out of the business of calling bull**** on things? Just because your first time failed doesn't mean you should just quit on it all together.

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Are you out of the business of calling bull**** on things? Just because your first time failed doesn't mean you should just quit on it all together.

I fear you are too anal for the interwebs

24champ
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
What it is saying is more people go to the Toronton FC games than Maple Leaf games.

Again, all it says that the Toronto soccer team has a bigger venue to play in. Yeah that's great FC can sell out games, and you can hang your hat on to that if you like.

Fact is, the Leafs have a much longer waiting list for season tickets and it costs more. Making it the most in-demand ticket in town.

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Fact is, the Leafs have a much longer waiting list for season tickets and it costs more. Making it the most in-demand ticket in town.

Nobody is saying differently.

Are you even reading my posts?

24champ
02-05-2009, 04:06 PM

I try to avoid reading them.

Spider
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Soccer is for pussies ..........only real sports are Football , Hockey , Boxing .... the rest is meant for women and sissy boys

Atwater His Ass
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Beckham has been tearing it up at Milan, both scoring and setting up several other goals as well. He's started every match there so far and has helped them move up to 2nd place in the standings.

It's a no brainer for him to stay over there and better prepare himself to get on the England World Cup team. I can't possibly see MLS choosing to be an obstacle for that goal.

Atwater His Ass
02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Nobody is saying differently.

Some people are just brain dead.

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Again, all it says that the Toronto soccer team has a bigger venue to play in.

False. It does not just say they have a bigger venue.

People fill up that venue...and when people do that it is more people than the Maple Leafs have.

No more. No less.

If the venue was bigger and people didn't show up it wouldn't be true.

All the other stuff is you not understanding the conversation or the simple points being made in it.

JJG
02-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Soccer is for pussies ..........only real sports are Football , Hockey , Boxing .... the rest is meant for women and sissy boys

The old appeal to masculinity, haven't seen that card since the last soccer thread. well played...

Spider
02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
The old appeal to masculinity, haven't seen that card since the last soccer thread. well played...
well I was going to put Soccer on the same level as shuffle board , but I didnt want ot offend anyone

Archer81
02-05-2009, 04:17 PM

A sport is a sport. Unless its figure skating or synchronized swimming.

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:18 PM
well I was going to put Soccer on the same level as shuffle board , but I didnt want ot offend anyone

Good point why offend shuffle board players???

ZachKC
02-05-2009, 04:18 PM

Consider the source.

Spider
02-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Consider the source.

ouch ......... I am hurt Zachery......... i am really offended . you ass rapping **** stick

JJG
02-05-2009, 04:21 PM

your ignorance doesn't offend me. carry on...

Spider
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
your ignorance doesn't offend me. carry on...

Oh brother ....soccer is for pussies , thats why it is big over seas ...... running up and down some field in a pair of shorts .......real intimidating cupcake

24champ
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM

People fill up that venue...and when people do that it is more people than the Maple Leafs have.

No more. No less.

All the other stuff is you not understanding the conversation or the simple points being made in it.

Both venues fill up.

The Leafs have sold out every year and are the most valuable NHL franchise right now because of their draw and appeal.

Again we are only talking a thousand more people, and like I said you can hang your hat onto it. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. It just says FC plays in a slightly larger venue.

JJJ
02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I am sure Obama and Pelosi will pass a law saying we have to like soccer and it must get equal TV coverage as the real sports.

A game without commercial breaks will never really have a chance with the networks. Whenthe hell are you supposed to be able to take a piss with this sport? Good news if you go anyway you don't miss much.

Spider
02-05-2009, 04:25 PM
I am sure Obama and Pelosi will pass a law saying we have to like soccer and it must get equal TV coverage as the real sports.

A game without commercial breaks will never really have a chance with the networks. Whenthe hell are you supposed to be able to take a piss with this sport? Good news if you go anyway you don't miss much.

Pelosi maybe but not Obama ..........Although Harry Ried looks like a soccer player

JJG
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh brother ....soccer is for pussies , thats why it is big over seas ...... running up and down some field in a pair of shorts .......real intimidating cupcake

brilliant retort.

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:28 PM

If and that is a huge IF I were to actually watch this "sport" I'd piss in a bottle or something because if you miss the one goal the whole damn thing was a waste of time.

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
brilliant retort.

Looks like he called a spade a spade sir I mean cupcake

Spider
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
brilliant retort.

Yeah I know ....... Now stop sucking up

24champ
02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I see why Zach likes the sport...

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5240/soccerbi6.jpg

JJG
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Looks like he called a spade a spade sir I mean cupcake

oh no, now I'm being tag teamed.^5

Natedog24
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
If and that is a huge IF I were to actually watch this "sport" I'd piss in a bottle or something because if you miss the one goal the whole damn thing was a waste of time.

DVR is a life saver!

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM

whoa lets keep the sex terms inside the soccer lockeroom ok

Spider
02-05-2009, 04:39 PM
thats just wrong

JJG
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
thats just wrong

I bet you never look at that smiley the same huh?

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Something you and Zach wanna share with us???

http://www.funnyearth.com/Photos/Funny_Soccer_Images.jpg

JJG
02-05-2009, 04:45 PM

we both hate red x's!!!

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
we both hate red x's!!!

Damn it I suck that the interwebs Ha!

Jens1893
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
The annual Orange Mane Main Board "Soccer" Thread .... ;)

JJG
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Damn it I suck that the interwebs Ha!

its ok.
I'm sure it was a riviting picture and it would have really made people who enjoy soccer question their sexuality. Im sure there will be more chances

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
we both hate red x's!!!

That is too bad it was classic funny

Finger Roll
02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
I love watching British soccer. I have relatives their that got me into. Plus playing Fifa and Winning Eleven 8 got me into it. I root for Newcastle

Hotrod
02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
its ok.
I'm sure it was a riviting picture and it would have really made people who enjoy soccer question their sexuality. Im sure there will be more chances

With soccer there are always those issues

JJG
02-05-2009, 04:59 PM
With soccer there are always those issues

absolutely. It always amazes me that europeans haven't gone extinct yet. I mean, with their love for soccer and the homosexuality that goes with it...

DHallblows
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM

lololololololol

...you can find those kinds of pictures in any sport

Spider
02-05-2009, 05:02 PM
absolutely. It always amazes me that europeans haven't gone extinct yet. I mean, with their love for soccer and the homosexuality that goes with it...

well I am sure we both agree Soccer isnt a real sport , but more of a hobby

DHallblows
02-05-2009, 05:05 PM

It's above Baseball, Basketball and NASCAR...

JJG
02-05-2009, 05:09 PM

define sport and hobby.

Spider
02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
It's above Baseball, Basketball and NASCAR...

Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks
dont care for basket ball or snore........err baseball either

Spider
02-05-2009, 05:13 PM
define sport and hobby.

Sport = something men do
Hobby = something for everyone including women and children

DHallblows
02-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Won't lie Spider, you're one tough customer on defining a sport. I'd make the argument that boxing (which you mentioned earlier) isn't a sport because women do it. Along with Hockey. Actually the only "sport" I can think of would be football...I think there's even women's rugby teams ???

ludo21
02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
MLS is still young in its development, I hope it can stay afloat and eventually be up there with the big boys.

Soccer is a great sport, but in America it just isnt accepted the same.

JJG
02-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Sport = something men do
Hobby = something for everyone including women and children

thats a pretty broad definition. but I agree, by your definition soccer is a hobby, since women and children play.

I wont mention pop warner or it would make football a hobby as well and not a sport. That would go against your whole arguement and therefor the world would come to an end as we know it.

Im usually not so sacrastic.

Spider
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
thats a pretty broad definition. but I agree, by your definition soccer is a hobby, since women and children play. see ........

I wont mention pop warner or it would make football a hobby as well and not a sport. That would go against your whole arguement and therefor the world would come to an end as we know it. but even in pee wee there is contact ..... not running up and down a field in shorts ........Next thing you euro sissys will want to do is make Kick ball a sport ........ you people have to be stopped

Im usually not so sacrastic.well thanks for the personal note , here , I will try to keep it in mind

Paladin
02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Beckham leaving?

Boo and Hoo.....

Houshyamama
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Good riddance. Take that piece of plastic you call a wife and GTFO.

epicSocialism4tw
02-05-2009, 05:56 PM
The guy is still a viable player, IMO. He reminds me of a guy like Big Ben in that he provides intangibles, some quality play, and just seems to win a whole lot more than he loses.

I saw him play when he came through a couple of times and I watched he and Donovan warm up. Beckham is as good as it gets with playing into the box from the wings of the front two thirds of the field. The guy can do nearly whatever he wants with the ball.

Paladin
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Can he stuff it up his butt?

epicSocialism4tw
02-05-2009, 06:06 PM

I think that Donovan is in. He's playing well for Munchen. He came off the bench in their season opener and has scored a bunch of preseason goals for them.

Its a given that Mexico will go down bitterly in defeat.

Florida_Bronco
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Who? ???

epicSocialism4tw
02-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I love watching British soccer. I have relatives their that got me into. Plus playing Fifa and Winning Eleven 8 got me into it. I root for Newcastle

Let me guess...because of the ale? ;D

Miss I.
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Let me guess...because of the ale? ;D

Well, I think it's unfortunate for the development of MLS in America that he's leaving because unfortunately there aren't a lot of superstarts most people in the US know. It was like that the first time they tried to make soccer big in the US when they brought in Pele, years and years ago.

On the other hand I do think he's now an overpaid prima donna much in the realm of Larry Johnson is now. Has some actual talent, but it's outweighed by his ego. Though Beckham is more talented then Larry ever has been. Too bad really.

Problem with building a support for Futbol in america is there are just too many other extremely popular options and those are already huge moneymakers. On top of that, people in the US have short attention spans. We like fast sports with high scores or we like brutal sports. Soccer is kind of like chess in that it requires real team effort at all times and more endurance and it takes a lot more skill to make that goal whereas in American football the scoreboard is generally not that hard to rack up. Plus here's the thing, in the US we like to win and as a country we have never really done that well in the world arena of soccer. Women's soccer had a brief spurt of popularity becuase they do dominate in soccer and of course Brandy Chastain was ripping her clothes off so guys like that (and fundamentally most sports are supported largely my 20-40 something males...women contribute, but not nearly as much).

I actually think maybe rugby or Australian Rules Football would do a bit better for US viewers. It's more similar to american football without the padding (yes I know I am simplifying it).

So can anyone tell me the best British Futbol team to root for in England. So far I have been suggested Manchester United, Arsenal and another one I can't recall right now.

chadta
02-05-2009, 07:27 PM

No more. No less.

are you for real, more people show up because there are more seats, if there wasnt more seats more people wouldnt show up

the waiting list for tickets to the leafs is a 20 year wait

http://www.ticketwaitinglist.com/2008/01/toronto-maple-leafs-season-ticket.html

also going back to what somebody said earlier, toronto has a HUGE immagrant population, so its not surprising that they do well.

Hogan11
02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Who? ???

Beckham....I think he's a CF prospect for the Angels or something.

Finger Roll
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
So can anyone tell me the best British Futbol team to root for in England. So far I have been suggested Manchester United, Arsenal and another one I can't recall right now.

Chelse is really good too

24champ
02-05-2009, 08:22 PM
are you for real, more people show up because there are more seats, if there wasnt more seats more people wouldnt show up

the waiting list for tickets to the leafs is a 20 year wait

http://www.ticketwaitinglist.com/2008/01/toronto-maple-leafs-season-ticket.html

Precisely.

DHallblows
02-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Do you literally mean the best team? Cuz I can rattle off Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea like anyone who pretends to follow the English Premier League.
Or do you want any ole team to root for? If that's the case, I'd say Fulham. That's where you can follow your U.S. boys :yayaya: That's my club of choice...

Miss I.
02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Do you literally mean the best team? Cuz I can rattle off Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea like anyone who pretends to follow the English Premier League.
Or do you want any ole team to root for? If that's the case, I'd say Fulham. That's where you can follow your U.S. boys :yayaya: That's my club of choice...

I want a team to follow that is fun, that is worth following. I used to love soccer, haven't played in few years, but loved it and I would really like to get behind a team and enjoy them the way I do the Broncos if that makes any sense.

Spider
02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Won't lie Spider, you're one tough customer on defining a sport. I'd make the argument that boxing (which you mentioned earlier) isn't a sport because women do it. Along with Hockey. Actually the only "sport" I can think of would be football...I think there's even women's rugby teams ???

;D women boxers ...... i say they are dykes .......

Miss I.
02-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Spider, I respectfully disagree with you and must now throw down the gauntlet, gonna throat punch you if you say sports that women participate in are not really sports. I am not afraid of you Spidey.

Spider
02-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Spider, I respectfully disagree with you and must now throw down the gauntlet, gonna throat punch you if you say sports that women participate in are not really sports. I am not afraid of you Spidey.

sure they are real sports ........ for women ....... thats why they have a different league , lets be honest ...... Pavlik vs Taylor is a bigger draw then 2 women ..... or the Nuggets vs the Lakers vs 2 women teams .

Miss I.
02-05-2009, 10:27 PM
sure they are real sports ........ for women ....... thats why they have a different league , lets be honest ...... Pavlik vs Taylor is a bigger draw then 2 women ..... or the Nuggets vs the Lakers vs 2 women teams .

Which given guys' prediliction for girl on girl doesn't make sense...think about it, sweaty women against sweaty women, why don't guys like it? Instead guys prefer watching other guys wearing tight clothes jumping on each other. Just seems curious is all.

Spider
02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Which given guys' prediliction for girl on girl doesn't make sense...think about it, sweaty women against sweaty women, why don't guys like it? Instead guys prefer watching other guys wearing tight clothes jumping on each other. Just seems curious is all.

we like out pay per view women , but we need our carnage also ....... Guys like to see things destroyed , beaten to a pulp , blood , guts ....... when we watch a fight , we want to see blood flying , heads snapping devastating punches .....or the killer hit from a line backer ,like wilson laid on heap in the end zone ...sure in Soccer you might get a trip ,accidental kick , a collision every now and then , but hockey , Football , Boxing hits are deliberate and the more blood or broken bones the better ...... Some guys will deny this , to be more PC, but they know I am right .........Beside the only good thing about watching women fight is one will be topless before too long .........

TDmvp
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM

would love to hear Laila's opinion of Spider's comment . :clown: :clown: :clown:

Laila Ali
Ali married former NFL player Curtis Conway in Los Angeles.

And in this corner ...
From Parts Unknown , Weight Unknown .
The King of Mean , The 18 wheeled Assassin , Terror of the Turnpike , The Throat Punch Bandit .... SPIDER !!! :strong: :strong: :strong: ROFL!

and in this corner ...
From Miami Beach, Florida , at 160 pounds ...
Laila Ali

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/263177~Laila-Ali-Posters.jpg

I got 10$ on the chick heheh ...Ha!

Spider
02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
would love to hear Laila's opinion of Spider's comment . :clown: :clown: :clown:

Laila Ali
Ali married former NFL player Curtis Conway in Los Angeles.

And in this corner ...
From Parts Unknown , Weight Unknown .
The King of Mean , The 18 wheeled Assassin , Terror of the Turnpike , The Throat Punch Bandit .... SPIDER !!! :strong: :strong: :strong: ROFL!

and in this corner ...
From Miami Beach, Florida , at 160 pounds ...
Laila Ali

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/263177~Laila-Ali-Posters.jpg

I got 10$ on the chick heheh ...Ha!

I know who she is ........But she is in womens boxing for a reason ....

JJJ
02-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Well, I think it's unfortunate for the development of MLS in America that he's leaving because unfortunately there aren't a lot of superstarts most people in the US know. It was like that the first time they tried to make soccer big in the US when they brought in Pele, years and years ago.

On the other hand I do think he's now an overpaid prima donna much in the realm of Larry Johnson is now. Has some actual talent, but it's outweighed by his ego. Though Beckham is more talented then Larry ever has been. Too bad really.

Problem with building a support for Futbol in america is there are just too many other extremely popular options and those are already huge moneymakers. On top of that, people in the US have short attention spans. We like fast sports with high scores or we like brutal sports. Soccer is kind of like chess in that it requires real team effort at all times and more endurance and it takes a lot more skill to make that goal whereas in American football the scoreboard is generally not that hard to rack up. Plus here's the thing, in the US we like to win and as a country we have never really done that well in the world arena of soccer. Women's soccer had a brief spurt of popularity becuase they do dominate in soccer and of course Brandy Chastain was ripping her clothes off so guys like that (and fundamentally most sports are supported largely my 20-40 something males...women contribute, but not nearly as much).

I actually think maybe rugby or Australian Rules Football would do a bit better for US viewers. It's more similar to american football without the padding (yes I know I am simplifying it).

Aussie football! Great game. The refs are too cool. This played during the summer as alternative to baseball would work.

As a Charger fan if you must root for a Premier league team I recommend Bolton.

SoCalBronco
02-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Which given guys' prediliction for girl on girl doesn't make sense...think about it, sweaty women against sweaty women, why don't guys like it? .

Because even though they are sweaty, there's nothing attractive about seeing them shoot baskets.

If, however, they were rolling around with each other in mud, or tapoica pudding or something like that, your point would be a most excellent one.

;D

atomicbloke
02-06-2009, 01:16 AM
we like out pay per view women , but we need our carnage also ....... Guys like to see things destroyed , beaten to a pulp , blood , guts ....... when we watch a fight , we want to see blood flying , heads snapping devastating punches .....or the killer hit from a line backer ,like wilson laid on heap in the end zone ...sure in Soccer you might get a trip ,accidental kick , a collision every now and then , but hockey , Football , Boxing hits are deliberate and the more blood or broken bones the better ...... Some guys will deny this , to be more PC, but they know I am right .........Beside the only good thing about watching women fight is one will be topless before too long .........

Is Tennis a sport then?

What about Cricket?

DHallblows
02-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Is Tennis a sport then?

What about Cricket?

From a guy defending soccer:

No

And **** no

chadta
02-06-2009, 06:16 AM
theres talk up here about making darts an olympic sport, DARTS, come on thats no more a sport then bowling or golf. if you can consume beer while playing its not a sport.

kappys
02-06-2009, 06:19 AM
theres talk up here about making darts an olympic sport, DARTS, come on thats no more a sport then bowling or golf. if you can consume beer while playing its not a sport.

Plus you can play without even putting your cigarette down!

chadta
02-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Plus you can play without even putting your cigarette down!

thats not fair, guy lafleur used to smoke on the bench in hockey games

Spider
02-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Is Tennis a sport then? recreational sport like volley ball , very seasonal ...

What about Cricket?

about as much as baseball .......the boys of summer .......George Carlin did a piece about Baseball and football

Hogan11
02-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Aussie football! Great game. The refs are too cool.

I actually got into this some when they used to show it real late at night on ESPN back in the day. They'd show game highlights or something ala This Week In The NFL like at 2 or 3 AM on the weekends. I was a fan of the Geelong Cats.

That and New Wave Theatre was "must see" late night TV in the early to mid 80's for me. Haven't seen anything of Aussie football since

Beantown Bronco
02-06-2009, 08:04 AM

*cough* softball *cough*

ZachKC
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM

There was a pretty large exodus of US players from that Fulham squad. Not quite Fulh-america like it used to be.

ZachKC
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM

Picture posting fail.

Peoples Champ
02-06-2009, 08:50 AM

I would say drinking beer during any sport, even golf and bowling, hinders your ability just as it would softball baseball football or basketball.

I know I love to drink beer on the golf course, but if I was sober and Tiger Woods was Hammered, I think i might be able to beat him. (he would probably have to be stumbling, and me helping him up and walk to every tee)

Kaylore
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
The annual Orange Mane Main Board "Soccer" Thread .... ;)
You're welcome!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_q2RkwipO7M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_q2RkwipO7M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GSRelyea
02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
see ........

but even in pee wee there is contact ..... not running up and down a field in shorts ........Next thing you euro sissys will want to do is make Kick ball a sport ........ you people have to be stopped

well thanks for the personal note , here , I will try to keep it in mind

I love how people who don't understand or watch the game say there is no contact. Sure there is tons of flopping (which is very annoying) but to say there is no contact or "running up and down a field in shorts" is just ignorance at it's best. I will never say it will overtake football or that it will become a big time sport in the US. But a lot of Americans do follow it and enjoy it, I saw US/Argentina in a sold out Giants Stadium and even NY Giants personal said it was the loudest that stadium has ever been. Going to see US/Mexico next Wednesday in another sold out stadium, sold out in 2hrs, the tailgate/crowd will and has beaten any Bronco football game I have been to, and I have been to tons of them. Ask me what I would rather watch and the answer would be the Broncos hands down. Those that can't play the game sure do like to bash it, funny how that works.....

Spider
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I love how people who don't understand or watch the game say there is no contact. Sure there is tons of flopping (which is very annoying) but to say there is no contact or "running up and down a field in shorts" is just ignorance at it's best. I will never say it will overtake football or that it will become a big time sport in the US. But a lot of Americans do follow it and enjoy it, I saw US/Argentina in a sold out Giants Stadium and even NY Giants personal said it was the loudest that stadium has ever been. Going to see US/Mexico next Wednesday in another sold out stadium, sold out in 2hrs, the tailgate/crowd will and has beaten any Bronco football game I have been to, and I have been to tons of them. Ask me what I would rather watch and the answer would be the Broncos hands down. Those that can't play the game sure do like to bash it, funny how that works.....

hope you didnt break a nail typing all of that ..........

GSRelyea
02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
hope you didnt break a nail typing all of that ..........

Hope you didn't kill too many brain cells with that witty post, you certainly cannot afford to lose many more.

Hotrod
02-06-2009, 11:21 AM

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj339/DethPenguin/405za1hfv5ih1.gif

Spider
02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Hope you didn't kill too many brain cells with that witty post, you certainly cannot afford to lose many more.

well thanks for your concern ....... I feel all worm and fuzzy inside .......

GSRelyea
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
well thanks for your concern ....... I feel all worm and fuzzy inside .......

Whatever floats your boat

Spider
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Whatever floats your boat

well that floats my boat .........

DHallblows
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
There was a pretty large exodus of US players from that Fulham squad. Not quite Fulh-america like it used to be.

As long as Deuce is there, they have my support

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I want a team to follow that is fun, that is worth following. I used to love soccer, haven't played in few years, but loved it and I would really like to get behind a team and enjoy them the way I do the Broncos if that makes any sense.

It doesnt have to be a British team...there are other great leagues too. If you like beautiful soccer, watch the Spanish first division. If you like history and contenders, follow Celtic or Rangers. If you like match fixing and emotionally expressive players, watch Italy's first division. If you like "total football", watch the Dutch Eredivisiae. If you like great, (generally) intelligent athletes, watch the German Bundesliga. There are many more.

Personally, I have rooting interest in FC Dallas (MLS), Pachuca (Mexico), Atletico Madrid (Spain), Ajax (Dutch), Everton (Premier League - Britain), Hannover 96 (Germany), Benfica (Portugal) and now I keep up with Bayern Munich (Germany) a little because Landon Donovan is there.

There is great football out there, and MLS is growing as well. Actually, I think that MLS is one of the better sports tickets in the states. You can get a great seat for cheap, the atmosphere is great, and the product on the field is really getting better...growing from within.

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Great soccer games are unbeatable.

The World Cup dwarfs everything else, and its not even close.

In the US, the US/Mexico rivalry is the ONLY true old-school hate-filled rivalry in professional sports. Its a bitter, passionate rivalry full of cheap shots, upsets, interpersonal grudges, and it pits two entire countries against one another in a freakin border war. Mexican soccer pride runs deep and those uppity Americans have become king of the hill over the past 15 years. Despite the US having beaten them in a World Cup and having beaten them in qualifying several times, Mexico still wont admit that the US are even an equal adversary! That, folks, is what a real rivalry looks like.
Its easily the best rivalry in the country.

Go USA!

socalorado
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM

In the US, the US/Mexico rivalry is the ONLY true old-school hate-filled rivalry in professional sports. Its a bitter, passionate rivalry full of cheap shots, upsets, interpersonal grudges, and it pits two entire countries against one another in a freakin border war. Mexican soccer pride runs deep and those uppity Americans have become king of the hill over the past 15 years. Despite the US having beaten them in a World Cup and having beaten them in qualifying several times, Mexico still wont admit that the US are even an equal adversary! That, folks, is what a real rivalry looks like.

Go USA!

http://www.killsometime.com/Pictures/images/Pic1203.jpg (http://www.killsometime.com/pictures/picture.asp?Random=1)

azbroncfan
02-06-2009, 02:59 PM

Go USA!

Yeah it might be competitive since all our good athletes play football, baseball, basketball, or Hockey. Soccer is nothing in the US and the majority of people couldn't give two sh@ts about it. It's pretty good rivalry with our bottom tier athletes.

Spider
02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah it might be competitive since all our good athletes play football, baseball, basketball, or Hockey. Soccer is nothing in the US and the majority of people couldn't give two sh@ts about it. It's pretty good rivalry with our bottom tier athletes.

LOL .....

Dexter
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Soccer is actually really fun to play. Just really really boring to watch :rofl:

Kaylore
02-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Lol @ Soccer USA V Mexico being "the best rivalry in the country". What freaking joke that comment is.

jutang
02-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I really wouldn't be surprised if the MLS eventually joins the ranks of the NFL, NBA, MLB in a couple decades. With Latinos being the fastest growing minority in the US, their influence and culture will have a huge impact.

I've never seen a MLS match in my life, but I always get around to watching the world cup and cheering for the US. With the NFL work stoppage a formality, I'm gonna have to waste my time in a different manner and watching a MLS game would fit the bill.

JJJ
02-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Go USA!

Belgians owning Budweiser, people touting sports rivalries with Mexico? What the hell is going on in the states? Get it together gentlemen.

Boy a lot has changed since I left the US 7 years ago. Soccer is the devil. Embrace it and soon you will be wearing shirts that are too tight and enjoy paying $8 for a gallon of gas.

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Lol @ Soccer USA V Mexico being "the best rivalry in the country". What freaking joke that comment is.

Its only a joke because you have no idea what you are talking about, as you have admitted several times in this thread.

Kaylore: "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sucks!"

Your having no reference to knowledge about what youre talking about does not make my statement any less accurate.

Kaylore: My lack of knowledge about this subject = you are wrong about this subject.

Im not sure about which planet this equivalency gains legitimacy on, but its not this one.

For those who may want to have thoughts and discuss the subject (whether agreed or not), I present the following:

What other rivalry even comes close to matching the intensity, quality, enmity, and cultural significance of US/Mexico?

Yankees/Red Sox? Its a showcase of coddled baseball players who are more a fraternity than they are opposition. There is little enmity there. The only rivalry here exists between fans over whos team signed the best players in the offseason. Trite stuff.

Lakers/Celtics? Another example of a once-great rivalry that has turned into buddies playing little more than a pickup game. There is no genuine rivalry here any more. Only the memory of a once-bitter battle between Magic and Bird.

Kaylore
02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Let's take a poll just of this site!

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Let's take a poll just of this site!

Man, that's a great idea!

Kaylore: "I dont have any idea what I am talking about, so lets just ask other people who may or may not have any idea what they are talking about what they think too! That will decide it for us!"

Hotrod
02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Man, that's a great idea!

Kaylore: "I dont have any idea what I am talking about, so lets just ask other people who may or may not have any idea what they are talking about what they think too! That will decide it for us!"

Seriously USA vs Mexica Bwahahahaha you've bumped your frickin head

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Seriously USA vs Mexica Bwahahahaha you've bumped your frickin head

Ha!

Go to a game and get back to me.

Better yet, go see a game in sold-out 100,000 seat Azteca Stadium in Mexico D.F. and get back to me.

Miss I.
02-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Okay far be it for me to open my mouth and rarely if ever do I agree with McSkillet, but soccer is a very valid sport. I agree with Dexter it is more fun to play then watch (because I feel chess is the same, I could fall asleep watching it, but playing competitively is a real challenge) I already stated the reasons I think it doesn't work here in the states. And as for them not being real athletes, that is just insane. Soccer players and cyclists have got to have some of the best bodies. Have you seen some NFL players, a lot of them are not nearly in the same shape as soccer players who run an average of 6 miles in a 60 minute match and obviously more in longer matches. In fact I would be willing to bet you would never see a NFL player who could play an entire game like all the players do in soccer. Some are very muscular certainly, but not necessarily aerobically great. It's all well and good you don't like World Football. I grew up in a family where it was the dominant sport and I loved playing it. I want to play again, cuz I enjoy some serious butt kicking defense, I like stripping people of the ball and the feeling of the fight in a game...The adrenaline is awesome...anyway, I love both football games and look forward to learning more about Austalian Rules FB and Rugby...Sweaty athletic men jumping on each other and slapping each other's arses is okay by me (NFL does the same thing only they wear tights...hmmm) ;)

Hotrod
02-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Ha!

Better yet, go see a game in sold-out 100,000 seat Azteca Stadium in Mexico D.F. and get back to me.

After the pics I've seen on these soccer threads aint no way I'm going to be in a enclosed area with 99,999 soccer fans :)

bowtown
02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Ha!

It may be the best rivalry to you, and to the guys playing and maybe even to Mexico, and you may THINK people in this country should consider it the greatest rivalry, but you are crazy if you think that most of the US population could care even the slightest bit about that game. You don't need an OM poll to tell you that, just go look at ticket and merchandise sales, advertising cost, and Nielson ratings. In order for it to be the countries biggest rivalry, more than a handful of it's citzens have to choose to watch it for reasons aside from "it's the only sport on right now."

Spider
02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
It may be the best rivalry to you, and to the guys playing and maybe even to Mexico, and you may THINK people in this country should consider it the greatest rivalry, but you are crazy if you think that most of the US population could care even the slightest bit about that game. You don't need an OM poll to tell you that, just go look at ticket and merchandise sales, advertising cost, and Nielson ratings. In order for it to be the countries biggest rivalry, more than a handful of it's citzens have to choose to watch it for reasons aside from "it's the only sport on right now."
:wiggle:

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Im not sure if you know this or not, but there are Spanish speaking people in our country and just about every one of those TV's will be tuned in to that game.

That's part of the reason you guys dont understand the gravity of the rivalry.

24champ
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
http://www.infolanka.com/jokes/images/soccer002.jpg

"They don't like Soccer on the Orangemane...what will we do?"

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
After the pics I've seen on these soccer threads aint no way I'm going to be in a enclosed area with 99,999 soccer fans

Well, if you hate drinking beer and having a good time, then a football match is definately the wrong place for you. ;D

Really though...one could leave Azteca Stadium with their body less in tact than it was when they went in.

Spider
02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Im not sure if you know this or not, but there are Spanish speaking people in our country and just about every one of those TV's will be tuned in to that game.

have you always been a crack pot ?

Hotrod
02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, if you hate drinking beer and having a good time, then a football match is definately the wrong place for you. ;D

It is such a slow long non-scoring event I'd end up trashed by the 3rd frame, quarter, period, inning or whatever yall call it :)

Miss I.
http://www.infolanka.com/jokes/images/soccer002.jpg

"They don't like Soccer on the Orangemane...what will we do?"

I know:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Brandi_Chastain_1999.jpg

epicSocialism4tw
have you always been a crack pot ?

Un mas tiempo, Spider no esta cerca la verdad.

DHallblows
02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
After the pics I've seen on these soccer threads aint no way I'm going to be in a enclosed area with 99,999 soccer fans :)

http://images.heaven666.org/p/1/american-football-is-gay.jpg
http://pictures.funnyjunksite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/funny-basketball-pictures-3.jpg
http://www.hahapages.com/pics/gaybaseballplayers.jpeg

I'll repeat, you can do that for any sport. Not trying to attack anyone, but there's so much ignorance in this thread...

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
It is such a slow long non-scoring event I'd end up trashed by the 3rd frame, quarter, period, inning or whatever yall call it

Nah, you'd pick up on the subtleties of the game really quick in a place like that...that is if you were conscious at that point.

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 04:35 PM
http://images.heaven666.org/p/1/american-football-is-gay.jpg
http://pictures.funnyjunksite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/funny-basketball-pictures-3.jpg
http://www.hahapages.com/pics/gaybaseballplayers.jpeg

I'll repeat, you can do that for any sport. Not trying to attack anyone, but there's so much ignorance in this thread...

Shaq always did have a thing for Danny Ferry.

Spider
02-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Un mas tiempo, Spider no esta cerca la verdad.

it was only a question ... relax princess ........

DHallblows
02-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Llama: You seem to be the "knowledgeable soccer fan" on this board. But I won't take you seriously until you tell me who you think are the top 3 players on the MNT. Thank you :)

Hotrod
02-06-2009, 04:36 PM

I dont think you actually understand this thread at all.

It is tradition

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
it was only a question ... relax princess ........

Una pregunta? Lo siento mi abuelita.

Spider
02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Una pregunta? Lo siento mi abuelita.
what in the hell your grandma ?
One more time, Spider is not close the truth. or something like that

epicSocialism4tw
02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Llama: You seem to be the "knowledgeable soccer fan" on this board. But I won't take you seriously until you tell me who you think are the top 3 players on the MNT. Thank you :)

There are who I like and theres the best.

Who I like:
1. Kenny Cooper
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/24/sports/24soccer.1.190.jpg
2. Tim Howard
http://images.ussoccer.com/Images/Gallery/82_316290_Howard.jpg
3. Clint Dempsey
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/_photos/2006-06-22-dempsey.jpg

The best:
1. Tim Howard
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/13/win403_gallery__600x347.jpg
2. Landon Donovan
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r122/meanceMan10/landon_donovan.jpg
3. Steve Cherundolo
http://images.usatoday.com/weather/_photos/2006/03/02/apaptopixsoccergermanyusapoland.jpg

DHallblows
02-06-2009, 04:42 PM
There are who I like and theres the best.

Who I like:
1. Kenny Cooper
2. Tim Howard
3. Clint Dempsey

The best:
1. Tim Howard
2. Landon Donovan
3. Steve Cherundolo

mmmm I'm neutral on your choices. I'll get back to you...

bowtown
02-06-2009, 04:55 PM

Yes, I realize that roughly 15% of our country is Hispanic, but that means that 85% is not. Here, maybe this well help give you a little perspective:

Even though it started in the middle of the night for much of the country, the United States' 2-0 victory over Mexico on Monday was the most-watched men's soccer game on cable television since the 1994 World Cup.

The game got a 2.29 cable rating on ESPN and was seen in 1.98 million households, Nielsen Media Research said Tuesday. In addition, Univision, the Spanish-language network, said today that 2.2 million households watched the game on its network.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E3DB143FF933A15755C0A9649C8B 63

So that's a total of 3.2 million households. Any idea how many households tuned into the 2004 Red Sox-Yankees ALCS? I'll give you a hint, it was was more than just a few milllion more.

azbroncfan
02-06-2009, 06:01 PM

Go USA!

Another typical overreacting dramatic jump to extreme post. There are so many bigger rivalry's than this soccer crap including the Ryder cup. Dramallama's post right here is him in a nutshell and you can see why no body respects his sports knowledge and especially when he is so quick to use the word best. It wasn't too long ago when he showed what kind of man he was talking all sorts of crap about how great the mavs were and they let him down 2x in back to back years and he ran and tucked his tail between his legs.

Atlas
02-11-2009, 10:39 AM

WTF??? Hilarious!

ludo21
02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I cant wait for the game. It is going to be intense for sure.

Tonight we got Duke/UNC too, great night for rivals!!

epicSocialism4tw
02-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I cant wait for the game. It is going to be intense for sure.

Tonight we got Duke/UNC too, great night for rivals!!

I orignally thought that the US would win 2-0, but Im not giving the Mexican attack as much respect as they deserve.

So, I have changed my prediction to:

US 8
Mexico 1 (penalty kick given on a bogus call where Tim Howard was ejected)

;D

ludo21
02-11-2009, 12:04 PM
I orignally thought that the US would win 2-0, but Im not giving the Mexican attack as much respect as they deserve.

So, I have changed my prediction to:

US 8
Mexico 1 (penalty kick given on a bogus call where Tim Howard was ejected)

;D

8-1 would be sweet.

I think it will be a little closer tho, 3-1 or something like that.

NUB
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I just like the soccer chants... We are Millwall, super Millwall, no one likes us, no one likes us, NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE!

Plus the hooligans, of course.

epicSocialism4tw
02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Victory for USA!

US 2
Mexico 0

Mexico shows that they are still classless, and the US of A show that they can still beat 'em like a drum! ;D

JJG
02-12-2009, 08:10 AM
nice game for the US. We looked out of sync early on but then settled in nicely. We had some nice combinations in the final 1/3rd and showed alot more attacking creativity then I have seen in a while (maybe ever).

I was disapointed in Landons play overall, although he had a few nice moments, most notably the header back across goal.
I thought Hejduk played really well. He really forced the issue and put alot of pressure on the mexican defense. He was solid on defense as well. He can still get it done.
Michael bradley was a stud. I've never seen him play before, but he brings something the US has been missing for a while, mostly a threat to score from 25 yds out. His second goal was a mistake by the keeper, but he hit it well and took advantage of the opportunity. Plus he's still young. It was great to see that out of a defensive midfielder.

The defense looked diciplined. They held well and looked strong in the air. Minus a few early miscues they played ok.

overall it was a nice showing for the US. Lets make some noise in 2010

DHallblows
02-12-2009, 10:22 AM
nice game for the US. We looked out of sync early on but then settled in nicely. We had some nice combinations in the final 1/3rd and showed alot more attacking creativity then I have seen in a while (maybe ever).

I was disapointed in Landons play overall, although he had a few nice moments, most notably the header back across goal.
I thought Hejduk played really well. He really forced the issue and put alot of pressure on the mexican defense. He was solid on defense as well. He can still get it done.
Michael bradley was a stud. I've never seen him play before, but he brings something the US has been missing for a while, mostly a threat to score from 25 yds out. His second goal was a mistake by the keeper, but he hit it well and took advantage of the opportunity. Plus he's still young. It was great to see that out of a defensive midfielder.

The defense looked diciplined. They held well and looked strong in the air. Minus a few early miscues they played ok.

That's why you thought he was a stud. Bradley is terrible and all around inconsistent. He only gets playing time because his dad is the HC.

JJG
02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
That's why you thought he was a stud. Bradley is terrible and all around inconsistent. He only gets playing time because his dad is the HC.

could be, but he was everywhere last night. Probably the best man on the field. I can't speak for his other performances, but he showed he belonged last night regardless of his dad

epicSocialism4tw
02-12-2009, 01:23 PM

I thought the same thing. We started the game with some really nice combinations through midfield and had a couple good build ups, and then the Mexican passion was a factor for about the next 20 or so minutes.

What was really encouraging to me was the quick passing shown through the midfield in the forward 2/3rds. I havent seen a US team that crisp and creative. This was mainly due to Dempsey, Bradley, and Donovan. They combined well, which shows that all three of those guys are really increasing the speed of their game in Europe.

I have never seen a US team show that type of efficient movement through midfield, and that is encouraging. We usually pack it in and counterattack. Our counterattacks have been efficient and deadly in the past. If those guys can put that type of thing together with the ball control then we become a real factor against any competition.

I think that Donovan was effected by the wet pitch, but if a bad game by him means setting up both US goals and combining well in midfield, then I'll take a bad game from him. I think that we expect him to be able to take on anyone with the dribble, and that's not his game. He can pull off some slick stuff with quick touches, but he cant do what Altidore or Adu can and just size a guy up and juke him. Landon usually flicks it by and runs on.

Hejduk was a man out there. His humiliating tackle on Martinez was textbook, and it summed up how he shut that side of the field down.

Yeah...Bradley can play. He has that mean streak that you want out of a tracking midfielder, and he has the work rate of a solid pro. His best shot was that rip he took from about 25-30 yards that knuckled and dipped just wide of the far post. He just missed that shot and that one would have been really impressive.

The best thing about Bradley is that he's a complete player. He does everything pretty well.

If we dont get placed in another 'group of death', then we have a shot to advance. There arent too many teams that are just outright better than the US. The obvious teams come to mind, but the US can beat any of the tier below the elite countries.

This qualifying cycle is exciting. Howard, Bocanegra, Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Onyewu, and Cherundolo are all in good form and have been playing together for years. Throw in other guys who have consistently been contributors with that group in Beasley, Mastroeni (who I think is severely underrated), and Hejduk. Newcomers Bradley, Klestjian, Altidore, Adu, etc. add an unknown element that has been passed along from an immensely successful youth group.

This could be our best squad yet.

I would really like to see us find a striker to put up top to develop with those core guys during qualifying. Ching adds experience, ball maintinance ability, and some smart play, but ultimately he doesnt contribute alot. I would love to see Bradley try Kenny Cooper and Charlie Davies up there. They both bring something unique to the table that no other strikers can bring that are on the roster. Davies brings speed and finishing ability, as well as a good mind for picking spots to make runs in the open field. Cooper is very smart, creative, and strong on the ball. He would be great paired with a guy like Donovan, IMO who can combine and score with a forward who can create.

DHallblows
02-12-2009, 02:59 PM
could be, but he was everywhere last night. Probably the best man on the field. I can't speak for his other performances, but he showed he belonged last night regardless of his dad

I agree with you there, but he's just not produced **** over his (admittedly) short career. The caps to goals are not where I want them to be, bottom line.

And I never gave you my list, Llama:

Best:
1 Howard
2 Dempsey
3 Donovan

Favorite:
1 Dempsey
2 Bocanegra
3 Onyewu

JJG
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree with you there, but he's just not produced **** over his (admittedly) short career. The caps to goals are not where I want them to be, bottom line.

fair enough assesment. Lets hope he can continue to develop and really make some noise next year

Malcontent
02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey....I just farted!