PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Dielman helps throw Jay into pool, frying his blood meter (M)

cutthemdown
02-05-2009, 06:25 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11630573

HONOLULU — In front of Jay Cutler was the clear-blue but chilly-watered swimming pool at the Ihilani resort.

The gang of Pro Bowl football players had been gathered around the tables, swapping stories, when suddenly the Broncos' quarterback had 300-pound Nick Mangold pushing from one side, 310-pound Kris Dielman holding the other and his cellphone swindled into the hands of a coy Peyton Manning.

Cutler's radar had gone up, but he never had a chance.

Splash!

"We gave him a Pro Bowl baptism," said Dielman, the star offensive guard of the rival San Diego Chargers.

Great fun. Big laughs. There was just one problem. Cutler is a Type 1 diabetic, and in his pocket was his blood-sugar monitor.

"That was a prank where
Pro Bowl

* Find preview, matchup, scoring log, rosters, voting, stats, past MVPs and more for the NFL all-star game Feb. 8 in Hawaii.
* View slide show of Pro Bowl.

I thought we were smart enough to get the cellphone out of his pocket," Dielman said. "But then, 'Oops.' "

The monitor was fried by the chlorinated water. Fortunately, Hawaii has drug stores, and after a few calls here and there, Cutler was well-equipped by lunchtime Wednesday.

"It was a bad audible on our part," Manning said. "I think we were thinking right, trying to get the cellphone. Then we realize, the guy gets insulin shots. We missed that."

Here in the island of warm breezes, soft sand and chilled lagoons, Cutler has been making friends. It's just that football friendships tend to include a few more hijinks than, say, relationships forged in a corporate office on the mainland.

After his Tuesday night dunking, Cutler had returned to the scene for Wednesday afternoon lunch.

"It's been great," Cutler said, his back to the Pacific Ocean and the warm sun. "All the guys have been good. Working with Peyton has been fun. Just to see what he does day to day, how he goes about it. He's such a professional."

No sooner had Cutler complimented Manning than guess who strode through the pool area, greeting guests at a table across the deck? Make no mistake, Peyton Manning knows how to work the room.

"He's the mayor here," Cutler said.

This is Cutler's first Pro Bowl appearance, which is one more than expected for a quarterback who has been starting for only two full seasons. He has made a favorable impression here, and not just poolside. During the first quarterback meeting with the Baltimore Ravens' and AFC coaching staff, the playing time rotation was revealed. Manning would start, Cutler would play next and veteran Kerry Collins would take a few series in the second half.

Coach John Harbaugh had even said Cutler would get most of the reps.

Cutler said hold on, here. Collins is 36, a 14-year NFL veteran invited to only his second Pro Bowl. Cutler insisted Collins play ahead of him.

"I thought it was a real nice gesture on his part," Collins said. "And I said to him, 'You were voted ahead of me and you should go.' And he said, 'No, no.' It was respectful, and I really appreciated it. I've enjoyed getting to know him. He's definitely a good guy to hang with."

At lunch Wednesday, Dielman pulled up a chair at Cutler's poolside table. Mr. Charger and Mr. Bronco. Aren't these guys supposed to dislike each other?

"He's like a lot of us, (we) play it up a little bit," Cutler said. "I wasn't sure how he was going to be because he's Philip's boy, but he's been great."

As the football nation knows, Cutler and Chargers' quarterback Philip Rivers don't like each other. It must be the island.

"We're all out here in Hawaii having a good time," Dielman said. "We'll deal with that during the season. Jay's a good dude. Philip's a good dude. They're two competitors. That's what happens when you have two competitors going at each other."

Collins is here because Brett Favre first alternate Rivers passed on the trip. The way it has gone this week, Cutler and Rivers probably would have gotten along fine.

"I think we probably would have," Cutler said. "It's hard not to get along with people down here in this environment."

For the sake of the Broncos-Chargers rivalry, perhaps it was better Rivers isn't here.

YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

MileHighMagic
02-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Cool story.

Sounds like Cutler is soaking up some good stuff here at the Pro Bowl and SB week.

cutthemdown
02-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Cool story.

Sounds like Cutler is soaking up some good stuff here at the Pro Bowl and SB week.

Yeah it's all good as long as they don't kill our boy.

Archer81
02-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Next Diehlman knocks old ladies over in crosswalks...but its ok because he gave them a walker first...

:Broncos:

Spider
02-05-2009, 06:47 AM
But . this cant be , Cutler is like Jeff George according to some ....:rofl:

Hogan11
02-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Players all before rivalries....hopefully they sprung for a new monitor for him, I would've if I was Deilman.

TheDave
02-05-2009, 06:51 AM
"I thought it was a real nice gesture on his part," Collins said. "And I said to him, 'You were voted ahead of me and you should go.' And he said, 'No, no.' It was respectful, and I really appreciated it. I've enjoyed getting to know him. He's definitely a good guy to hang with."

Wait a minute... I thout he was the reincarnation of jeff george.

Whats with all this he is a good guy stuff?

cutthemdown
02-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Wait a minute... I thout he was the reincarnation of jeff george.

Whats with all this he is a good guy stuff?

It's a ruse to make us feel good about our QB!!!!!! Maybe Broncos should call Cutler and tell him to spit on someone.

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2009, 06:55 AM
It's Fargin War!!!

no-pseudo-fan
02-05-2009, 06:57 AM
next time push the guy in the iron lung into the pool. LOL

Spider
02-05-2009, 06:57 AM
I certainly hope Jay learned some leadership skills ....;D

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm actually pissed that Collins is starting ahead of Cutler. Collins sucks so the AFC is going to look like crap. I hope they let Manning play more and since Cutler is the "real" second team guy that they increase his reps. I'm not watching the pro-bowl to see ancient Kerry Collins in the pro-bowl.

bowtown
02-05-2009, 07:06 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11630573

he reps.

Cutler said hold on, here. Collins is 36, a 14-year NFL veteran invited to only his second Pro Bowl. Cutler insisted Collins play ahead of him.

Obviously afraid of competition. Lelie v.2.

400HZ
02-05-2009, 07:08 AM
http://www.vikdavid.com/blog/pics/nelson-haha.gif

Northman
02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Im glad he was watching Peyton. Kid needs to learn everything he can.

Smiling Assassin27
02-05-2009, 07:24 AM
"It was a bad audible on our part," Manning said. "I think we were thinking right, trying to get the cellphone. Then we realize, the guy gets insulin shots. We missed that."

This quote just buried the needle on my giggle-meter...

Smiling Assassin27
02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm actually pissed that Collins is starting ahead of Cutler. Collins sucks so the AFC is going to look like crap. I hope they let Manning play more and since Cutler is the "real" second team guy that they increase his reps. I'm not watching the pro-bowl to see ancient Kerry Collins in the pro-bowl.

The fact that you're actually watching the Pro Bowl speaks volumes, K...ROFL! Don't forget to chart Cutler and give us a full report on Monday, por favor. We can have a film session over lunch if Taco will spring for, well, lunch.

Spider
02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
This quote just buried the needle on my giggle-meter...

;D same here .only Manning could pull that off like that .....

TonyR
02-05-2009, 07:39 AM
The fact that you're actually watching the Pro Bowl speaks volumes, K...ROFL!

Exactly. The Pro Bowl is a joke. Nobody cares.

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2009, 08:07 AM

I watch it every year.

Dagmar
02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
I watch it every year.

Me too, it's my last Sunday of football until August for christs sake!

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Me too, it's my last Sunday of football until August for christs sake!

Exactly.

BMF Bronco
02-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I read some **** about a Universal Football League, anyone know what this is about?

Flex Gunmetal
02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
;D same here .only Manning could pull that off like that .....

ROFL!
I read it hearing Manning's voice.

Doggcow
02-05-2009, 09:21 AM
LOL@ Peyton. He's too awesome to be mad at.

mr007
02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
This is karma for him always yelling at receivers when it's not their fault, showing complete lack of leadership on the field even though his teammates say otherwise, and being a pouty bitch even though his facial expressions rarely change.

Hell he even offered Collins to start ahead of him, what a douche, when is our QB ever gonna get IT. He has a lot of growing up to do, hopefully he can get there within the next few years....

Blueflame
02-05-2009, 10:55 AM

The article left the impression with me that Cutler will be starting ahead of Collins, Kaylore... I took it to say that Cutler offered to step aside for Collins but that the offer was declined (yet appreciated by Collins).

Archer81
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
This is karma for him always yelling at receivers when it's not their fault, showing complete lack of leadership on the field even though his teammates say otherwise, and being a pouty b**** even though his facial expressions rarely change.

Hell he even offered Collins to start ahead of him, what a douche, when is our QB ever gonna get IT. He has a lot of growing up to do, hopefully he can get there within the next few years....

Yeah? Whats "IT"? Do you even know?

no-pseudo-fan
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM
The article left the impression with me that Cutler will be starting ahead of Collins, Kaylore... I took it to say that Cutler offered to step aside for Collins but that the offer was declined (yet appreciated by Collins).

I got the same impression. It was a nice thing to do, but Collins would be seen as a douche for accepting.

Spider
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
you guys are missing the big picture here .... if it had been Big Ben thrown in the pool he could have extended the play for about 5 minutes ...........Just more proof Big ben is better

Smiling Assassin27
02-05-2009, 11:27 AM
you guys are missing the big picture here .... if it had been Big Ben thrown in the pool he could have extended the play for about 5 minutes ...........Just more proof Big ben is better

actually, big ben would've been thrown in but miraculously emerge from the pool completely dry. ;D

Spider
02-05-2009, 11:28 AM
This is karma for him always yelling at receivers when it's not their fault, showing complete lack of leadership on the field even though his teammates say otherwise, and being a pouty b**** even though his facial expressions rarely change.

you dont get invited to alot of parties do you ?

Spider
02-05-2009, 11:28 AM
actually, big ben would've been thrown in but miraculously emerge from the pool completely dry. ;D

;D the wonders of big Ben ........

Karenin
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
This is karma for him always yelling at receivers when it's not their fault, showing complete lack of leadership on the field even though his teammates say otherwise

Yea because I'm sure you'd know much better than his teammates how much leadership he is showing. Moron.

You're in SD? Just become a Chargers fan, you won't be missed.

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2009, 11:33 AM

LMAO

randomtask
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that some of you guys missed the sarcasm in mr007's post...

Archer81
02-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Hmm...we will see...moo ha ha ha ha...

Probably, but he needs to be more clear in his sarcasm...the / sarcasm off or on would help...what are we, Kreskin?

randomtask
02-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Hmm...we will see...moo ha ha ha ha...

Probably, but he needs to be more clear in his sarcasm...the / sarcasm off or on would help...what are we, Kreskin?

Perhaps a sarcasm button?

Spider
02-05-2009, 12:31 PM

Well if he was being sarcastic , he did a damn good job of it ;D

Archer81
02-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Perhaps a sarcasm button?

Sarcasm emoticon would be most helpful...:kiss:

TomServo
02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Well not really, but still pretty funny.
Peyton Manning threw Jay Cutler's diabetes monitor in the pool
By MJD
And then, for extra laughs, Peyton drove around to various nursing homes in the Honolulu area, unplugging oxygen machines and slathering canes and walkers in Crisco.

I kid, I kid. Peyton doesn't have any hatred of the elderly or disease-ridden. As it turns out, he destroyed Jay Cutler's blood sugar monitor (Cutler's a type 1 diabetic) by mistake. As part of all the zany Pro Bowl hijinx, Peyton meant to throw Cutler's cell phone in the pool as a part of some Pro Bowl rookie initiation.

Here's how it went down, courtesy of the Denver Post:

The gang of Pro Bowl football players had been gathered around the tables, swapping stories, when suddenly the Broncos' quarterback had 300-pound Nick Mangold pushing from one side, 310-pound Kris Dielman holding the other and his cell phone swindled into the hands of a coy Peyton Manning.

Splash!

"We gave him a Pro Bowl baptism," said Dielman, the star offensive guard of the rival San Diego Chargers.

Great fun. Big laughs. There was just one problem. Cutler is a Type 1 diabetic, and in his pocket was his blood-sugar monitor.

"That was a prank where I thought we were smart enough to get the cellphone out of his pocket," Dielman said. "But then, 'Oops.' "

Oops indeed. In their defense, though, some blood sugar monitors do look slightly cell-phone-esque.

Fortunately, Cutler took it all in stride and was able to make a few calls and get a new monitor quickly. If I was him, I would have started faking stomach cramps and pretending to lose my eyesight, while screaming that I could die without my monitor. But that's just me, and I like to teach people lessons that will stick for a lifetime.
from the denver post and yahoo sports.

Archer81
02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Already posted duder.

SouthStndJunkie
02-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Repeat thread almost kills poster.

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Failure to use search function kills brain cells.

Inkana7
02-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Failure to Launch kills brain cells.

But Zooey Deschanel is adorable.

http://musicstreaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/zooey_deschanel.jpg

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM

And watching her deadpan attempts at acting kills brain cells.

When Lightning Strikes
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM

i just love her!!

chaz
02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Obviously afraid of competition. Lelie v.2.

:rofl:

chaz
02-05-2009, 04:05 PM
I got the same impression. It was a nice thing to do, but Collins would be seen as a douche for accepting.

I don't think he would look bad at all...especially if Jay insisted. It would be a classy move all around...people who don't like it are Jay-homers looking at it out their asses

cutthemdown
02-05-2009, 04:06 PM
with all due respect it will be the coach who decides plays. Protocol is you go by who got most votes. It was a cool move by Cutler. Cocky in that he assumes he will be there many times. NFL though knows he who got more votes has more fans wanting to watch so they of course want Cutler to play alot.

mr007
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Well if he was being sarcastic , he did a damn good job of it ;D

I think it's pretty obvious if you actually read what I wrote or pay any sort of attention to my posts here :).

mr007
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Yea because I'm sure you'd know much better than his teammates how much leadership he is showing. Moron.

You're in SD? Just become a Chargers fan, you won't be missed.

Are you seriously this dense?

mo·ron (mawr-on, mohr-on)
n.
1. A stupid person; a dolt.
2. Psychology A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

The irony. :)

easymobee
02-05-2009, 09:29 PM
The fact that you're actually watching the Pro Bowl speaks volumes, K...ROFL! Don't forget to chart Cutler and give us a full report on Monday, por favor. We can have a film session over lunch if Taco will spring for, well, lunch.

Are you too cool/busy/refined to watch the pro bowl or are they showing "The Wedding Planner" in HD that same day?

I would imagine that the casual fan sitting club level w/ a glass of Chardonnay and a polite yet enthusiastic golf clap would also eschew the Pro Bowl in favor of more wothwhile affairs.

easymobee
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM

You too, NOOB.

~Crash~
02-05-2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.vikdavid.com/blog/pics/nelson-haha.gif

if the raiders win the west 400will be carrying a sword and saying al is god.:thumbsup:

El Guapo
02-06-2009, 08:40 AM
I hate him even more.

(Ive searched 3 times and didnt see this posted. . . Hopefully it hasn't been)

And then, for extra laughs, Peyton drove around to various nursing homes in the Honolulu area, unplugging oxygen machines and slathering canes and walkers in Crisco.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__11/ept_sports_nfl_experts-997386661-1233856830.jpg?ym.0LwADI8j9IEe8

I kid, I kid. Peyton doesn't have any hatred of the elderly or disease-ridden. As it turns out, he destroyed Jay Cutler's blood sugar monitor (Cutler's a type 1 diabetic) by mistake. As part of all the zany Pro Bowl hijinx, Peyton and friends were going to toss Cutler in the pool, and while they did protect his cell phone, they forgot one other thing.

Here's how it went down, courtesy of the Denver Post:

The gang of Pro Bowl football players had been gathered around the tables, swapping stories, when suddenly the Broncos' quarterback had 300-pound Nick Mangold pushing from one side, 310-pound Kris Dielman holding the other and his cell phone swindled into the hands of a coy Peyton Manning.

Splash!

"That was a prank where I thought we were smart enough to get the cellphone out of his pocket," Dielman said. "But then, 'Oops.' "

Oops indeed. In their defense, though, some blood sugar monitors do look slightly cell-phone-esque.

Fortunately, Cutler took it all in stride and was able to make a few calls and get a new monitor quickly. If I was him, I would have started faking stomach cramps and pretending to lose my eyesight, while screaming that I could die without my monitor. But that's just me, and I like to teach people lessons that will stick for a lifetime.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-threw-Jay-Cutler-s-blood-sugar-mo?urn=nfl,139247

what a bunch of douche-canoes.

rugbythug
02-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Actually it has been posted twice already

Taco John
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76920

Arkansas Bronco
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Yes it was posted

Smiling Assassin27
02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
you either dig melon-head or you loathe him. i dig the guy. a bit overexposed but manages to take it in stride and can actually be funny and self-deprecating.

El Guapo
02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
bah. . . the search function MUST be broken. It's definitely not my fault, no not ever. sorry guys.

Taco John
02-06-2009, 08:52 AM
bah. . . the search function MUST be broken. It's definitely not my fault, no not ever. sorry guys.

Not that it matters - it's not that big a deal... But it's the 8th thread listed for the search term Manning:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/search.php?searchid=250589

cmhargrove
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I heard Cutler had a Snuggie on when they pushed him in the pool...

Irish Stout
02-06-2009, 09:05 AM
I do not like Peyton Manning, but the boy has skills I cannot deny. I also think he is way over exposed, but that one commercial where he's in the various hotels is hilarious. I think its master card.

Hotel Dude - "Your going down Manning."
Peyton - "I know. Fourth floor. Gonna get a massage."

DenverBroncosJM
02-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I like the guy...Dont get me wrong after the beat downs he gave us those couple years I couldnt stand him but that SNL skit he did with the kids really made me a fan of his and he doesnt seem like all that bad of a guy after all.

theAPAOps5
02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I heard Cutler had a Snuggie on when they pushed him in the pool...

But he has the special Snuggie made out of Sham-wow material. The same one TheRev is making his manthong out of. When he hit the water it was all soaked up he looked up and said, "How you like them apples bitches!"

NFLBRONCO
02-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I used to hate Manning but, its much easier to hate Rivers.

theAPAOps5
02-06-2009, 09:33 AM
I used to hate Manning but, its much easier to hate Rivers.

I despised Manning for making Denver his bitch. But man the guy is hilarious on SNL and has funny commercials. So that hate has ebbed and is now more focused on Phillis Rivers.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I thought he was waaaaaaaaay overexposed for a while... he was on every single commercial for a bit there, and I definitely got some Peyton fatigue. But all his stuff now just shows him as a goofball, and it's fun to see him make fun of himself.

I don't mind him so much now. And he must think a lot of Cutler to even bother with a prank.

SportinOne
02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
This thread is definitely a testament to the way this board has changed over the years.

3 or 4 years ago, this guy gets completely ridiculed.. now, it's no big deal, honest mistake.. and that's the way it should be, in my opinion... i'm just saying, things have changed here.. even in the past month.. i don't think this should be the "thunderdome" anymore..

Bronx33
02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
If rivers was there iam pretty sure the players would cram his head in a toilet.