PDA

View Full Version : Elway is obviously the best player ever

colonelbeef
02-04-2009, 04:56 PM
The Hall Of Fame has voted in 1.5 Broncos since it's inception. John Elway took 5 teams to championship games- more than any other QB in history. By not voting in any other Broncos from those teams (I know all about Zimmerman, but he was only on 1 of those 5 teams) logic dictates that the pro football HOF is basically saying that John Elway was the best singular talent ever to play the game.

Every other team with multiple championships has multiple hall of famers to show for it. I don't want to hear about the "East Coast bias", the last time I checked, the Cowboys, Steelers, Bears, and 49ers were nowhere near the east coast.

This is the argument that needs to be presented to the HOF committee voters.

hades
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Steelers nowhere near the east coast huh???

colonelbeef
02-04-2009, 05:00 PM

Steelers are nowhere the east coast, they are as rust-belt blue collar as it gets. You need a map broseph?

hades
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Steelers are nowhere the east coast, they are as rust-belt blue collar as it gets. You need a map broseph?

PA borders the Atlantic Ocean, that is the east side of the USA, east coast to me.

Inkana7
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Pittsburgh is East Coast. Not literally, but they're very close to those media markets.

Spider
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM

Define near ............

Spider
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Pittsburgh is East Coast. Not literally, but they're very close to those media markets.

they are not far by my standards ...... a little over 300 miles if you want to go to Long island . P.S. use the L.I.E. ;D

colonelbeef
02-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Pittsburgh has nothing to do with the east coast. Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore, and their suburbs constitutes what is popularly known as the east coast. Western Pennsylvania is not even remotely close to being anything east coast.

Pittsburgh is a rust belt city more closely associated with Cincinnati, Buffalo, Cleveland, Akron, Charleston WV.

colonelbeef
02-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Pittsburgh has that amount of HOFers because of their hugely popular blue collar teams of the 70's. Nothing to do with their region.

What is your argument for the 49ers and Bears then?

Spider
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Big markets ... life west of St Louis to Reno , St George Utah , Kingman ari , Banning , and North of San Fransisco , is different ball game .....hell unto the mid 80's denver was a 1 horse town .....

colonelbeef
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
pittsburgh is much smaller than denver. hell, so is buffalo.

location plays a part, but the bottom line here is that the HOF is saying that Elway singlehandedly brought those teams to the SB indirectly by not voting in any of his teammates.

Spider
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
pittsburgh is much smaller than denver. hell, so is buffalo.

location plays a part, but the bottom line here is that the HOF is saying that Elway singlehandedly brought those teams to the SB indirectly by not voting in any of his teammates.

Not back in the day it wasnt .......

Chris
02-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I like your logic. They'll have to induct more Broncos to knock us down a peg...

strafen
02-04-2009, 06:23 PM
The Denver Broncos have the best record from 1996 to 1998 than any team in NFL history. Look it up. That's 3 years in a row!
Do you think somebody else other than Zimm and Elway should be there too?

Spider
02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
The Denver Broncos have the best record from 1996 to 1998 than any team in NFL history. Look it up. That's 3 years in a row!
Do you think somebody else other than Zimm and Elway should be there too?

Dude you are preaching to the Choir here .my list for HOF players in no order //
1. Gradishar
2. Louis Wright
3. TD
4. Rod Smith
5. Sharpe
6.Tom Jackson
7. Dennis Smith
8. Steve Atwater
9.Little
10.Goose Gonsoulin. there is my top 10 list of snubs

Inkana7
02-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Lionel Taylor should have been in the HoF for decades now.

Spider
02-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Lionel Taylor should have been in the HoF for decades now.

I would agree

Atlas
02-05-2009, 10:56 AM
The Broncos suck, and Elway is the greatest player in any sport in history.

Tombstone RJ
02-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I wonder how many HOFers are on this Stellers team? There must be at least 4-5 players on this Zittsburgh dynasty team that needs serious hall consideration!

Just saying, watch.

colonelbeef
02-05-2009, 11:24 AM

this is the only logical summary anybody could take away from the HOF results.

Looking at the team by team HOF list is sickening. Peter King had a decent article a year or so ago about this very topic.

According to the HOF, John Elway is easily the best player ever to play the game.

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 11:27 AM

You don't know what "east coast" bias means, do you?

goldengopher1976
02-05-2009, 12:39 PM
this is the only logical summary anybody could take away from the HOF results.

Looking at the team by team HOF list is sickening. Peter King had a decent article a year or so ago about this very topic.

According to the HOF, John Elway is easily the best player ever to play the game.

I'd never thought of it this way, but your argument has some merit. Of course, what merit it has is only going to matter to Broncos fans, who are already inclined to believe this about Elway.

Speaking of "east coast bias", I remember when I lived in SoCal, I would tell people I was from Missouri and they would say, "oh, you're from back east?" I learned quickly that everything east of Vegas was "back east" to a native Californian...

SportinOne
02-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, Michael Jordan

off the top of my head, best athletes of their sport in history so far, although i take it you were joking to some degree...

SportinOne
02-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I'd never thought of it this way, but your argument has some merit. Of course, what merit it has is only going to matter to Broncos fans, who are already inclined to believe this about Elway.

Speaking of "east coast bias", I remember when I lived in SoCal, I would tell people I was from Missouri and they would say, "oh, you're from back east?" I learned quickly that everything east of Vegas was "back east" to a native Californian...

Does not make it true...

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
The Hall Of Fame has voted in 1.5 Broncos since it's inception. John Elway took 5 teams to championship games- more than any other QB in history. By not voting in any other Broncos from those teams (I know all about Zimmerman, but he was only on 1 of those 5 teams) logic dictates that the pro football HOF is basically saying that John Elway was the best singular talent ever to play the game.

Every other team with multiple championships has multiple hall of famers to show for it. I don't want to hear about the "East Coast bias", the last time I checked, the Cowboys, Steelers, Bears, and 49ers were nowhere near the east coast.

This is the argument that needs to be presented to the HOF committee voters.
I LOVE the statement. (REP given)
I live in Pittsburgh, and it's the offseason, ... THIS argument will reverberate around the bars here for the next few months ... as I attempt to distract locals from bathing in the glory of their "six-pack" of Super Bowl victories! :wiggle:
Thank you for easing my off-season boredom!

Doggcow
02-05-2009, 01:24 PM

off the top of my head, best athletes of their sport in history so far, although i take it you were joking to some degree...

Federer isn't too shabby either. But who the **** cares about Tennis.

ZONA
02-05-2009, 02:23 PM

Best in their sports in history?

I think Jack Nicklaus might have a little something to say about that. Tiger probably will get there by the time he is done but as of right now, Jack is still the best golfer in history.

hades
02-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Ricky Bobby, best ever, EVER!

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/t/images/talladega-nights-the-ballad-of-ricky-bobby-poster-1.jpg

Spider
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Ricky Bobby, best ever, EVER!

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/t/images/talladega-nights-the-ballad-of-ricky-bobby-poster-1.jpg

My kids had me watch that .......The only time I laughed was the Puma in the car part ........

hades
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
My kids had me watch that .......The only time I laughed was the Puma in the car part ........

Yeah, I was disappointed in it too, got the DVD, luckily I did not splurge and get it on Blu Ray. Will Farrell is hit or miss usually. Step Brothers was good tho, I did LMAO during it.

Spider
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed in it too, got the DVD, luckily I did not splurge and get it on Blu Ray. Will Farrell is hit or miss usually. Step Brothers was good tho, I did LMAO during it.

I havent seen it yet ...........

colonelbeef
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Federer isn't too shabby either. But who the **** cares about Tennis.

I do, and the Federer-Nadal rivalry is one for the ages.

Nadal has basically been kicking Roger's ass up and down the circuit lately, going to be interesting to see if Fed can reclaim Wimbledon this year.

Irish Stout
02-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Well clearly Elway was the best ever.... sheesh, I didn't know that we were so dense we needed to talk about it. I assumed everyone knew.

goldengopher1976
02-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Does not make it true...

Wasn't trying to say it did...though as a Midwesterner, I tend to think of everything east of Ohio and north of Virginia as the Eastern United States.

Circle Orange
02-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Pittsburgh is east coast, so to speak. Philadelphia isn't, but we don't speak of that inside the DC Beltway...;D

I still maintain the lack of early superbowl wins adds to the overall Bronco bias. On the subject of Elway, two opinions kind of mirror your point. At the HOF ceremony Tom Jackson said:

"He's not just another guy going into the hall. Not only is he the first Bronco, but the best bronco ever."

Archie Manning on the WTEM locally, when asked about #7 versus his son Peyton.

"John was just remarkable, the things he could do. In my mind he's the most talented qb, the best to ever play."

Manning senior was asked this prior to the Bears/Colts superbowl. And he didn't even hesitate on the answer!

Circle Orange
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Well clearly Elway was the best ever.... sheesh, I didn't know that we were so dense we needed to talk about it. I assumed everyone knew.

Haven't you heard? The media has now anointed Big Ben, after previously anointing Tom Brady, before anointing Peyton Manning...these 'greatest of all times' are popping out of the woodwork these days. And let's not forget, prior to all of them it was Montana.

Circle Orange
02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Pittsburgh has nothing to do with the east coast. Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore, and their suburbs constitutes what is popularly known as the east coast. Western Pennsylvania is not even remotely close to being anything east coast.

Pittsburgh is a rust belt city more closely associated with Cincinnati, Buffalo, Cleveland, Akron, Charleston WV.

How about "Inside Central East Coast?" Ha!

Rock Chalk
02-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Really? A 6 hour drive to New York City makes it the East Coast. Penn is one of the 13 colonies and everything west of that is the Midwest. Everything west of the Mississippi is the West> PA is on the East coast. Pittsburgh is an East Coast team.