PDA

View Full Version : Two players' first three years.

Kaylore
02-04-2009, 07:37 AM
bbbbbbbbbbbGP Rec Yds TD's
Player 1
Year 1bbbbb 16 58 780 8
Year 2bbbbb 16 103 1409 10
Year 3bbbbb 13 69 946 6

Player 2
Year 1bbbbb 15 20 309 2
Year 2bbbbb 16 102 1325 7
Year 3bbbbb 15 104 1265 6

It could mean good things or nothing at all, but its interesting.

MagicHef
02-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Trade Champ for whichever one we don't have.

GoHAM
02-04-2009, 07:53 AM
BMarsh and Larry Fitzgerald would be sick, flat out sick.

GoHAM
02-04-2009, 07:54 AM
We can only hope that BMarsh will develop to what Fitzgerald is today.

chaz
02-04-2009, 08:30 AM
we need brandon to become a monster in the redzone like larry...the fade to fitz is truly unstoppable. Marshall needs TD's to become the elite WR he wants to be.

HorseHead
02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
He ( B Marsh) has a bad case of the dropsies...who had more, he or T.O.?

Borks147
02-04-2009, 08:43 AM
we need brandon to become a monster in the redzone like larry...the fade to fitz is truly unstoppable. Marshall needs TD's to become the elite WR he wants to be.

fades to Bmarsh rarely fail either!

frerottenextelway
02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Marshall will never be a Fitzgerald type of player. His drops and more importantly his lack of will to the ball. Put a ball up for grabs with Fitz, and you expect him to come down with it. Do the same for Marshall, and you're hoping it's not picked.

tsiguy96
02-04-2009, 08:47 AM

you do realize there is a direct correlation between times targeted by the QB and number of times dropped right? he was the most targeted QB in the league, and had the most drops. id wager atleast 8 of the other top 10 targeted WRs were behind marshall in top 10 most drops.

tsiguy96
02-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Marshall will never be a Fitzgerald type of player. His drops and more importantly his lack of will to the ball. Put a ball up for grabs with Fitz, and you expect him to come down with it. Do the same for Marshall, and you're hoping it's not picked.

have you actually watched marshall? most of his TDs are in the corner of the endzone on top of coverage. quit saying dumb **** about players you have a grudge against for some reason.

enjolras
02-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Marshall has a TON of growing up to do if he is going to be Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald is humble, 'the beast' most definitely is not. Fitzgerald is thoughtful, something I've yet to see Marshall show any inkling of. Fitzgerald believes that he can always get better... Marshall likes to talk about how great he already is.

The sky is absolutely the limit with BMarsh, but he needs to put away the beast and instead aim to become the type of player Fitzgerald is today. Fitzgerald really reminds me of Chris Carter or Jerry Rice in the way that he approaches the game.

MagicHef
02-04-2009, 09:17 AM

I heard that his hand is still partially numb from his TV adventure, and is expected to continue to heal and regain feeling. I'm hoping that a lot of his problems catching the ball had to do with this, and will improve over time.

Florida_Bronco
02-04-2009, 09:20 AM

The "lack of will to the ball" is way off. As far as the drops go, that will improve in time. It took Rod Smith almost 5 years to get over that problem.

worm
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Marshall has a TON of growing up to do if he is going to be Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald is humble, 'the beast' most definitely is not. Fitzgerald is thoughtful, something I've yet to see Marshall show any inkling of. Fitzgerald believes that he can always get better... Marshall likes to talk about how great he already is.

The sky is absolutely the limit with BMarsh, but he needs to put away the beast and instead aim to become the type of player Fitzgerald is today. Fitzgerald really reminds me of Chris Carter or Jerry Rice in the way that he approaches the game.

You make these points about B-Marsh outside the lines. Then counter-point it with how full of awesomeness Fitz is and then compare Larry to Chris Carter?

Do you even remember Chris Carter?

TheReverend
02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I love how someone catches over one hundred footballs in 15 games and people are up in arms about he can't catch a football and he'll never be a premier receiver.

...too late.

socalorado
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
You make these points about B-Marsh outside the lines. Then counter-point it with how full of awesomeness Fitz is and then compare Larry to Chris Carter?

Do you even remember Chris Carter?

Carter was f-n money. Neither of these guys are in his league just yet.

Carter caught EVERYTHING.

tsiguy96
02-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I love how someone catches over one hundred footballs in 15 games and people are up in arms about he can't catch a football and he'll never be a premier receiver.

...too late.

doesnt make sense to me either. have you ever seen someone get so much undeserved hate in your time here?

SureShot
02-04-2009, 09:28 AM

Including 8 balls.

socalorado
02-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Including 8 balls.

LOL

worm
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM

E's post was about off the field stuff.

Kaylore
02-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Marshall's problems were partly because of nerve damage to his hand. This year that should be better and next year he'll be as close to healed as expected. He needs to quite slowing up his routes when he's running into coverage and work on his jump ball, but other than that he's on his way to being even better.

azbroncfan
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM

Fitz catches everything and has some of the best hands I've ever seen. Living in AZ I've seen the cards play a time or two and that is where he is light years ahead of Marshall and it's not like Marshall has horrible hands but Fitz's are great.

Atlas
02-04-2009, 10:19 AM
bbbbbbbbbbbGP Rec Yds TD's
Player 1
Year 1bbbbb 16 58 780 8
Year 2bbbbb 16 103 1409 10
Year 3bbbbb 13 69 946 6

Player 2
Year 1bbbbb 15 20 309 2
Year 2bbbbb 16 102 1325 7
Year 3bbbbb 15 104 1265 6

It could mean good things or nothing at all, but its interesting.

What does this mean?

TonyR
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM

Carter was great but I think Fitzgerald is already better than he ever was.

USMCBladerunner
02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Carter didn't catch everything...all he did was catch touchdowns...

Rabb
02-04-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't mind some drops, just not at crucial times

Flex Gunmetal
02-04-2009, 11:12 AM
(Insert stupid "I hate our pro-bowl receiver" comment by typical OMane idiot)

frerottenextelway
02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
have you actually watched marshall? most of his TDs are in the corner of the endzone on top of coverage. quit saying dumb **** about players you have a grudge against for some reason.

Bwhaha. Homerchild, it wasn't even an insult on Marshall. My opinion is pretty close to the OP.

"He needs to quit slowing up his routes when he's running into coverage and work on his jump ball"

Right now, he's not in Fitz's league at that. Fitz has a will to the ball that is amazing, Marshall doesn't.

Dedhed
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
(Insert stupid "I hate our pro-bowl receiver" comment by typical OMane idiot)

And also (Insert stupid "I hate our pro-bowl quarterback" comment by typical OMane idiot).

2KBack
02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Bwhaha. Homerchild, it wasn't even an insult on Marshall. My opinion is pretty close to the OP.

"He needs to quit slowing up his routes when he's running into coverage and work on his jump ball"

Right now, he's not in Fitz's league at that. Fitz has a will to the ball that is amazing, Marshall doesn't.

An Larry has had to work on keeping his feet and getting YAC, which he has been doing lately. Larry wishes he was Marshall with the ball in his hands, and Marshall wishes he was Larry catching the ball.

Larry has the best hands in the league, so every receiver is is behind him in that regard. Doesn't mean Marshall can't be better overall, he's had one the best starts to a receiving career in history.

TonyR
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Larry wishes he was Marshall with the ball in his hands, and Marshall wishes he was Larry catching the ball.

I love Brandon so don't take this as a criticism of him but Fitzgerald is faster and more explosive than Brandon so he's just as good, and in my opinion better, with the ball in his hands. Brandon is a top 10 receiver, Fitz is a top 1 receiver.

frerottenextelway
02-04-2009, 12:15 PM
An Larry has had to work on keeping his feet and getting YAC, which he has been doing lately. Larry wishes he was Marshall with the ball in his hands, and Marshall wishes he was Larry catching the ball.

Larry has the best hands in the league, so every receiver is is behind him in that regard. Doesn't mean Marshall can't be better overall, he's had one the best starts to a receiving career in history.

Marshall is certainly very good at getting YAC (although he seemed slowed down this year 'cuz of his injury). He holds the ball out a bit too much when doing that though causing fumbles, but that should be able to be taught to him. Rod always scared me running w/ the ball too.

Anyways, he'll still never be a Fitzgerald type of player, which I think you seem to agree with. Its comparing apples and oranges.

2KBack
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Larry has been my favorite reciever since he was at Pitt, and I think probably currently the best in the league. Still I think people are forgetting what he has had to work on since becoming a pro. He hasn't been a great YAC guy at all, and has struggled getting seperation in the past. In AZ he was the 3rd down jump ball guy, Boldin was the gamebreaker. Larry has had to work on becoming good at the type of things that Marshall does naturally. Marshall on the other hand needs to work on routes, and fighting for position on the ball. The types of things Larry has always had. They are different recievers now, but both working to be total packages. We'll see where they both go. Don't forget Larry's got a couple years on Brandon.

azbroncfan
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
And also (Insert stupid "I hate our pro-bowl quarterback" comment by typical OMane idiot).

Well Kerry Collins is a probowler too. Pro Bowls really don't give a great gauge on how good a player is. I'm excited to see Denvers Probowl QB in the new system.

Flex Gunmetal
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Well Kerry Collins is a probowler too. Pro Bowls really don't give a great gauge on how good a player is. I'm excited to see Denvers Probowl QB in the new system.

Right, but many members here hold grudges against players that are responsible for keeping us out of the bottom 5 teams in the league. Mainly because of unfounded off-the-field incidents and quotes. Both of which have little to do with winning, which is any real fan's primary concern.
IMHO

2KBack
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Right, but many members here hold grudges against players that are responsible for keeping us out of the bottom 5 teams in the league. Mainly because of unfounded off-the-field incidents and quotes. Both of which have little to do with winning, which is any real fan's primary concern.
IMHO

I hate the term "real fan."

Speaking for myself, I want to be able to like the guys on my team. So I am going to voice disaproval if a guy seems like a thug, punk, or asshole. Being a good player and helping the team win are fantastic, and yes that is the number one criteria for a player. Still, If I can't respect a guy, it makes it harder to root for him.

Different people are going to have different opinions on that though. Hogan isn't a fan of Marshall the man, I disagree, but I understand the sentiment.

Popps
02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Marshall is already a top-flight receiver. He's no Fitzgerald, but we don't really need him to be.

We need a consistent, power-running game. The rest will take care of itself on offense.

Popps
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Different people are going to have different opinions on that though. Hogan isn't a fan of Marshall the man, I disagree, but I understand the sentiment.

I'm assuming most team boards are like this.

Look at the Cutler thread. People simply can't stand the idea that he might not be flawless.... and that he might have some sides of his game that need working on.

I remember the Marshall threads over last summer... people loved to use the word "hate" if you questioned Marshall and his suspension.

Somewhere along the line, I guess we were supposed to stop wanting and expecting good things from our players.

2KBack
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm assuming most team boards are like this.

Look at the Cutler thread. People simply can't stand the idea that he might not be flawless.... and that he might have some sides of his game that need working on.

I remember the Marshall threads over last summer... people loved to use the word "hate" if you questioned Marshall and his suspension.

Somewhere along the line, I guess we were supposed to stop wanting and expecting good things from our players.

They probably are. Hell, life is kinda like that. I can't always explain why I really like one person, but another rubs me the wrong way. Marshall is a great example really. I find Marshall to be a very likable personality. I questioned his maturity a bit with the problems he got into, but I honestly think he wants to do right. Cutler on the other hand has had me equally as worried, but for different reasons. He does come off like a punk sometimes, and I have been concerned that he doesn't have the right attitude to be an effective leader. I want to like Cutler more than I do, but something is holding me back.

Look at Cutler and Marshall. There is far more physical evidence that says Marshall is a turd than Cutler. Yet MArshall has been very good about talking about his issues. Marshall knows he had the drops, owns it, and and looks to improve. After Stokley stopped his celebration last year, Marshall said the Vet kept him from making a mistake. That's good stuff right there. I don't remember Cutler talking about his decision making that way.

Eh, see, there I go. It's easy to start taking up arms for these guys sometimes. I guess it's an unavoidable circle.

McDman
02-04-2009, 05:10 PM

I don't know where you are getting that Marshall thinks he is amazing? I have heard him say numerous times criticize himself and admitted he drops way too many balls to be considered elite. Yes he is a flashy payer, but he knows he has a lot of work to do before being great.

DBroncos4life
02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd rather have Calvin Johnson.

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 07:09 AM
I love Brandon so don't take this as a criticism of him but Fitzgerald is faster and more explosive than Brandon so he's just as good, and in my opinion better, with the ball in his hands. Brandon is a top 10 receiver, Fitz is a top 1 receiver.

Brandon's better with the ball in his hand than Fitz. He's more like Boldin in that aspect. The thing that makes Fitz great are his ball skills. His hands are way better. He would dominate in a game of 500. I do agree he's faster and more explosive than Marshall, though.

Hogan11
02-05-2009, 07:15 AM
I hate the term "real fan."

Speaking for myself, I want to be able to like the guys on my team. So I am going to voice disaproval if a guy seems like a thug, punk, or a-hole. Being a good player and helping the team win are fantastic, and yes that is the number one criteria for a player. Still, If I can't respect a guy, it makes it harder to root for him.

I'm not a fan of Marshall the showman...everything else about him is totally fine.

HooptyHoops
02-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Brandon's better with the ball in his hand than Fitz. He's more like Boldin in that aspect. The thing that makes Fitz great are his ball skills. His hands are way better. He would dominate in a game of 500. I do agree he's faster and more explosive than Marshall, though.

Man, I'd pay to watch the top 7 WR's to play a little 500!

TonyR
02-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Brandon's better with the ball in his hand than Fitz.

I'm curious why you think that. I think Brandon is very good with the ball but for some reason I thought he was better in '07 than '08. Watching Fitzgerald in the playoffs the guy doesn't go down on first contact, always gets positive yardage after the catch, and explodes downfield through openings after making the catch. Brandon is also very good in this area but I think he goes sideways a bit too often and can't explode by defenders as well. Maybe YAC stats support that Brandon is better but the naked eye sure doesn't, at least from what I saw of Fitz in the playoffs.

TonyR
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
I think my question has been answered:

In 2007, the front end of Marshall's back-to-back 100-catch seasons, he led the NFL with 319 yards after contact. He wasn't nearly as effective after contact in 2008, largely because a strained hip muscle cost him restart speed after shedding a tackler.

So I wasn't dreaming, as mentioned above, that he wasn't as good with the ball in '08 as in '07. It will be nice to have a 100% Brandon back on the field next season.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11640776

Broncos_OTM
02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Dwayne bowe?