PDA

View Full Version : Wiegmann will come back if he gets paid

eddie mac
02-04-2009, 02:08 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11621742

HONOLULU Sure, Casey Wiegmann wants to come back and play.

But first the Broncos will have to pay.

And if they don't redo the contract of their starting center, who is here to play in his first Pro Bowl?

"Like I told the guys down here, if nothing gets done, there's no better way to leave the game besides playing in the Super Bowl and winning the Super Bowl than coming here and playing in this game," Wiegmann said.

"And I know they want to get something done. We started talking to the Goodmans (Jim and Jeff, of the team's personnel department) before the season was over. We just didn't get into it. With the coaching change, we wanted to let things die down a little bit."

In a juxtaposition of age and authority, Wiegmann, 35, met last Monday with new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, 32, to discuss myriad subjects, including the center's contract situation.
They agreed to meet again in two weeks at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

When Wiegmann signed with the Broncos a year ago, he got a two-year contract that essentially paid him backup wages. Cut loose by a skidding Kansas City team and in his mid-30s, the only job Wiegmann could get is as a backup to Broncos stalwart Tom Nalen.

As it turned out, Nalen suffered an offseason knee injury that didn't heal properly, and Wiegmann rescued the Broncos from going bust with their free-agent class. The Broncos paid roughly $10 million last season to Boss Bailey, Niko Koutovides and Keary Colbert.

Wiegmann was money well-spent. Even with a signing bonus and playing-time incentives, he made $1.6 million last year and is scheduled to draw only the veteran minimum $845,000 for 2009.

In the four previous seasons with Kansas City, Wiegmann averaged $2.7 million a year. The going rate this season for starting centers of his ilk surpasses $3 million.

"I'm on the bottom of the totem pole," Wiegmann said. "I think we're going to get something done. I'd love to come back. I loved the guys I played with. The offensive line there is awesome. (Coach Rick Dennison) does a great job with the offensive line. Talking to Josh, it's going to be a pretty solid offense. We should be right there, as long as they get the defensive side squared away."
With the AFC practice completed here Tuesday, Wiegmann was standing casually in the lobby of the players' resort hotel wearing flip-flops, shorts and a T-shirt. He had just shed 10 pounds after joining his church in a 10-day Daniel Fast, which consists of vegetables, fruits, water and whole-wheat pasta. No meats, no sugars.

"We stayed through and true," he said. "It worked. My Mountain Dew was hard. I'm hooked on it. I drink about one or two a day."

He was waiting on his wife, Danni. Several more relatives were coming in, on Wiegmann's dime, and he wanted to check out the surfers on the North Shore before the family crush.

It took 13 NFL seasons, 127 consecutive starts, 8,046 consecutive snaps and multiple, first-alternate near misses, but Wiegmann finally was invited here to play in his first Pro Bowl.

"Overdue for Casey," said Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, Wiegmann's teammate from 2001-07. "I was sad when we let him go."

The snap streak has become Wiegmann's living legacy.

"I've kind of taken it to heart," he said. "I want to keep going and get over 10,000."

To reach that milestone, Wiegmann is asking for a few more zeroes of another kind. But whether the choice is another season with the Broncos or retirement, Wiegmann is getting himself in shape.

"My dad's big, and with things in limbo, I wanted to make sure I lost some (weight)," he said. "Plus, you don't want to come to Hawaii and feel fat and out of shape."

Atwater His Ass
02-04-2009, 02:52 AM
They'll get a deal done. We don't have any other options and certaintly not any better ones available.

Mogulseeker
02-04-2009, 05:27 AM
They'll get a deal done. We don't have any other options and certaintly not any better ones available.

Well, he's good, but.... it's possibly my hometown sentiment, but I want to see what Tyler Polumbus is made of.

Ziggy
02-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Well, he's good, but.... it's possibly my hometown sentiment, but I want to see what Tyler Polumbus is made of.

Tackle material.

Broncojef
02-04-2009, 05:50 AM
He was one of the few that brought his "A" game every week. He and Clady shined all year IMO. If your gonna pay someone he's a good place to start.

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Veteran talent, veteran attitude.
Pay Him.

HEAV
02-04-2009, 05:58 AM
It sucks that Denver put themselves in this spot. But their are younger options in free agency.

JCMElway
02-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Then pay him. Cutler is a huge investment and we need to do everything we can to keep him off of his a$$.

socalorado
02-04-2009, 06:03 AM
If DEN cuts Boss Baliey doesnt that free up 4 MIL? Use that coin to pay Weigmann. Pay the man. This is a no brainer.

Also, keeping him will continue to piss off bobo to no end!

baja
02-04-2009, 06:17 AM
It sucks that Denver put themselves in this spot. But their are younger options in free agency.

What spot? We found a guy that plays at a pro bowl level at a position of need.

You call that lucky and you pay him.

We already need a ton of mystery meat on defense

Take the known quantity and be happy.

atomicbloke
02-04-2009, 06:24 AM
In a juxtaposition of age and authority, Wiegmann, 35, met last Monday with new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, 32, to discuss myriad subjects, including the center's contract situation.

Wow. Yikes!

cmhargrove
02-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Pay Him.

Amen brother - pay the man, he earned every penny already this year.

cmhargrove
02-04-2009, 06:29 AM

Keep him in mind for a potential Guard spot to compete with Hamilton.

He is a Tackle first, possibly could play Guard, but he's no Center.

cutthemdown
02-04-2009, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't pay a lot to Wiegman. Broncos won't be in playoffs next yr so no reason to spend on older players who probably aren't in a 3 yr plan.

outdoor_miner
02-04-2009, 07:35 AM
"I'm on the bottom of the totem pole," Wiegmann said. "I think we're going to get something done. I'd love to come back. I loved the guys I played with. The offensive line there is awesome. (Coach Rick Dennison) does a great job with the offensive line. Talking to Josh, it's going to be a pretty solid offense. We should be right there, as long as they get the defensive side squared away."

Not very cool to throw the defense under the bus like that. Where is the leadership on this team??? :clown:

cutthemdown
02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Not very cool to throw the defense under the bus like that. Where is the leadership on this team??? :clown:

under normal conditions I may agree with you, but the Broncos defense so obviously one of the worst over last 2 yrs in NFL history that its ok to say it.

There is no poo pooing how bad the defense has been.

gyldenlove
02-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Amen brother - pay the man, he earned every penny already this year.

Even if we pay him 3 mill, just consider a million of that to be backpay from his super year this year. How many pro bowlers can you think of who played for 1.6 million?

socalorado
02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
under normal conditions I may agree with you, but the Broncos defense so obviously one of the worst over last 2 yrs in NFL history that its ok to say it.

:thumbsup:

cutthemdown
02-04-2009, 08:08 AM
not to mention so cal that wiegman prob knows at least 5 of them won't be on team next yr.

Smiling Assassin27
02-04-2009, 08:12 AM

If the QB is gonna do it, why shouldn't everyone? Cutler establishes the culture of the offense by what he says and does, so with him ripping the defense on multiple occasion, he's made it ok and even fashionable to get a dig in on the defense whenever any non-defensive player can. Sad, IMO.

snowspot66
02-04-2009, 08:17 AM
The defense ****ing sucks. When they stop sucking people will stop bashing them.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2009, 08:30 AM
If the QB is gonna do it, why shouldn't everyone? Cutler establishes the culture of the offense by what he says and does, so with him ripping the defense on multiple occasion, he's made it ok and even fashionable to get a dig in on the defense whenever any non-defensive player can. Sad, IMO.

No, the defense was just so historically bad that its been impossible not to point out.

ludo21
02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Let Sheffler go if we need to, get this man signed.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Scheffler go? He's not asking for 10 mil a year...i think 2 mil a year is well within the budget!

outdoor_miner
02-04-2009, 09:34 AM

I was just joking... Some people act like players aren't allowed to point out that the defense frickin sucked. Weigmann is saying the exact same thing as Cutler (only more veiled), and I didn't see anyone calling him a "bad teammate" because he pointed out that the defense needs to be fixed.

SureShot
02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
http://www.hardcoretees.net/images/imagesforebay/T_roupay.jpg

Kaylore
02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
We'll sign him. The retirement talk is just sword rattling to get more money.

Smiling Assassin27
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Yup, make the guy a very good 1 year deal, as I think Corey can drive the bus the year after next. Coreys kick ass.

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:rzd-rWyFEFasSM:http://coosacreek.org/mambo/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/the-coreys-then.jpg

LongDongJohnson
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
did you guys forget that we have a boat load of cap room.
giving casey a pay raise will be no problem at all. besides its not likely he will ask top 5 center money or something like that

Florida_Bronco
02-04-2009, 11:47 AM

You ARE joking, right?

~Crash~
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM

they are not riping anyone ? Slowik was the big problem Scheme . We have a lot of UFA's on the Dside why would what they are saying piss off anyone ?

~Crash~
02-04-2009, 12:32 PM
to the people that say they are riping a player give me a name of the players they think are problems I keep seeing this people need to stop saying they are singling out anyone I have not seen it .

Pick Six
02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm just curious to find out if Weigmann called McDaniels "Junior"...:ouwknow:

TheDave
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Pay Him.

Ditto...

BroncoBuff
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.hardcoretees.net/images/imagesforebay/T_roupay.jpg

Heees muuuhnee.

great movie.

BroncoBuff
02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm notoriously opposed to ex-chef/faid/sd players here, but this guy was excellent. payee heeem.

Sodak
02-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Taco's de burro...

Inkana7
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm just curious to find out if Weigmann called McDaniels "Junior"...:ouwknow:

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1989_Indiana_Jones_and_the_Last_Crusade/1989_the_last_crusade_013.jpg

Weigmann: Junior!

McDaniels: I told you!

*Shoots Al Davis and his minions*

McDaniels:...Don't call me Junior!

watermock
02-04-2009, 06:32 PM
4m + incentives.

Shanahan had our offense kicking if we could of had a consitent RB.

I think Poly at LG could make us a damn good run team.

Spend it all on D cept or a stud RB and a backup qB.

HEAV
02-04-2009, 06:45 PM
What spot? We found a guy that plays at a pro bowl level at a position of need.

You call that lucky and you pay him.

Take the known quantity and be happy.

The spot that they traded away Chris Myers, they thought they could squeeze another year or two outta Nails and Casey was to be just a filler.

rmsanger
02-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Pay him the 2.5MM he wants and be done with it... Solid player for not all that much money...