PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SouthStndJunkie
02-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Time for the yearly baseball thread.

SouthStndJunkie
02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090203&content_id=3794422&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

McCourt on Manny: LA could 'move on'

Chairman wants slugger back, but sees team's third offer rejected

Archer81
02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
baseball...sucks.

:Broncos:

SouthStndJunkie
02-03-2009, 02:51 PM
baseball...sucks.

Move along then.

Karenin
02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
baseball...sucks.

you...suck

Smelvin
02-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Lincecum, Cain, Unit, Sanchez, (gulp) Zito....that's one hell of a rotation the Giants will have.

If only you were allowed to win games 0 to -1.

elsid13
02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
9 days until the Red Sox roll into Fort Meyers.

Killericon
02-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Lincecum, Cain, Unit, Sanchez, (gulp) Zito....that's one hell of a rotation the Giants will have.

If only you were allowed to win games 0 to -1.

And yet they still might lose 90 games.

I've determined that I can no longer be a Blue Jays fan.

Paladin
02-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Let's go Rockies........

Well, at least for a few games......

Majik
02-03-2009, 05:09 PM
http://www.411mania.com/game_screenshots/7794.jpg

Am i the only one who noticed the cum on the back of his jersey?

Smelvin
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
And yet they still might lose 90 games.

I've determined that I can no longer be a Blue Jays fan.

I actually think they'll be flirting with .500, and if somehow they add another bat...they'll have a chance to contend in the anemic NL Worst.

They have some serious talent coming through the pipes, although it's about a year or two away. But remember these names: Bumgarner, Posey, Villalona, Noonan, Alderson and Gallaspie. Add that talent to Lincecum and Cain, a big time FA or two, and you're looking at a serious contender.

WABronco
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Stoked at what Jack Z is doin up here in Seattle. Lookin forward to the season for the first time in a while.

broncofan2438
02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Go Dodgers! Sign Manny! Hurry up!

ludo21
02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Go D-Backs!!

phillybroncosnut
02-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Repeat!!!!

80smith
02-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Go White sox! Hope they have a better year!

SouthStndJunkie
02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/11/alomar.aids.lawsuit/index.html

Ex-girlfriend files suit, says Alomar exposed her to AIDS

Kid A
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09tP1wa3tTelc/340x.jpg

Royals! It's our year!

...to finish above .500.

SouthStndJunkie
02-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Let's go Deeeetroit Tigers!

SouthStndJunkie
02-11-2009, 02:42 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09tP1wa3tTelc/340x.jpg

Royals! It's our year!

...to finish above .500.

The Royals have some good young players and prospects.

I could see them finishing around the .500 mark.

elsid13
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Tomorrow the day = Pitchers and Catchers report

SouthStndJunkie
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I am ready for some baseball.

Majik
02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Katie Couric:
For the record, have you ever used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing substance?

A-Roid:
No, I've never felt overmatched on the baseball field. I've always been a very strong, dominant position. And I felt that if I did my work as I've done since I was, you know, a rookie back in Seattle, I didn't have a problem competing at any level. So, no.

Fast Forward 13 months

Natedog24
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Almost Spring Training...

Going to be weird seeing the Dodgers in the Cactus league. While it is nice to have them closer, I'm still going to miss seeing them in the Grapefruit League where they got to play teams teams that they don't get to play that often. Anyways go BLUE!

PS: Sign Manny already...

bombay
02-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Cardinals are in penny pinching mode. If Chris Carpenter doesn't make a complete recovery, they've got big problems. They may have big problems anyway, 'specially in the bullpen.

Kid A
02-11-2009, 08:03 PM
The Royals have some good young players and prospects.

I could see them finishing around the .500 mark.

I'd like to believe so. The outfield of DeJesus, Crisp, and Guillen may contain a couple castoffs that aren't tier 1 players, but it looks like a better set of bats than we've had out there in a while. Grienke and Meche are solid, just need Bannister to step up again and Hochevar to break through. I like the Mike Jacobs addition at first.

The big question this year, and one that will have a major impact on possibly the next decade of this team: can Alex Gordon and Billy Butler meet expectations. Both have shown flashes of star potential, streaks where they looked like top-notch players, but this team really needs them to figure it out soon or they risk being busts. If those two can turn it on, we might have a solid lineup.

SouthStndJunkie
02-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I'd like to believe so. The outfield of DeJesus, Crisp, and Guillen may contain a couple castoffs that aren't tier 1 players, but it looks like a better set of bats than we've had out there in a while. Grienke and Meche are solid, just need Bannister to step up again and Hochevar to break through. I like the Mike Jacobs addition at first.

The big question this year, and one that will have a major impact on possibly the next decade of this team: can Alex Gordon and Billy Butler meet expectations. Both have shown flashes of star potential, streaks where they looked like top-notch players, but this team really needs them to figure it out soon or they risk being busts. If those two can turn it on, we might have a solid lineup.

It seems like Billy Butler always mashes against my Tigers.

I am a Tigers fan, but find myself rooting for the Royals to do well.

George Brett was by far my favorite non-Tiger to ever play. I still have all my George Brett cards from when I was a kid....including his rookie card and mini rookie card. I was only 8 when he batted .390 in 1980....but I remember looking at the newspaper every day following the box scores to see if he would hit .400.

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 09:37 AM
The Seattle Mariners have stepped up the pace in negotiations that could bring Ken Griffey Jr. back to the city where he spent the first 11 years of his major league career, two baseball sources told ESPN.com.

Although it's unclear whether the Mariners have extended a formal offer, two sources said the team made significant progress this week in talks to bring back Griffey. Several reports this winter have indicated that Griffey is seeking a one-year deal for a base salary in the $5 million range.

Taco John
02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
The Seattle Mariners have stepped up the pace in negotiations that could bring Ken Griffey Jr. back to the city where he spent the first 11 years of his major league career, two baseball sources told ESPN.com.

Although it's unclear whether the Mariners have extended a formal offer, two sources said the team made significant progress this week in talks to bring back Griffey. Several reports this winter have indicated that Griffey is seeking a one-year deal for a base salary in the $5 million range.

They need to pull a nostalgia move like this to take the fans minds off of the fact that they're rebuilding - again...

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 10:03 AM
They need to pull a nostalgia move like this to take the fans minds off of the fact that they're rebuilding - again...

I think it will be cool if Griffey finishes his career in Seattle.

Natedog24
02-12-2009, 10:34 AM
It would be awesome to see Griffey in a Mariner uniform again.

broncsyanks
02-12-2009, 10:51 AM
should i dare say here : lets go yankees :)

originalsultan
02-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Matt Wieters: best catcher in AL East by the end of the year?

Killericon
02-12-2009, 12:51 PM

I think Jarrod Saltalamacchia will become the best catcher in the AL East right around the trade deadline.

elsid13
02-12-2009, 02:04 PM

He might be very good in future but Dioner Navarro (TB) is mostly like to be the best offense catcher in the AL East this season. I will still stick with the Captain (Varitek) as the catcher in ALE

Karenin
02-12-2009, 07:01 PM
lolwat? Varitek is terrible now. He's probably the 5th best catcher in the AL East.

DarkHorse30
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM

this "reverse the mojo" move has been long overdue. I can't remember a player that Seattle brought in that didn't underperform (except maybe Ibanez).....and that started about the time Griffey left.

elsid13
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
lolwat? Varitek is terrible now. He's probably the 5th best catcher in the AL East.

Offense he might be. But there is no one that handles a pitching staff better and leads in the locker room. Teams win by pitching and defense and Tek bring both of those element to the table.

Karenin
02-13-2009, 01:22 PM
ah yes, the old "handles a pitching staff" and "is a leader" arguments. Why'd you stop there, you might as well talk about how gritty he is and how he just knows how to win.

Using any available offensive or defensive metric, he is a horrible catcher, that's all there is to it.

TonyR
02-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Most improved teams: American League

1. New York Yankees
2. Oakland Athletics
3. Cleveland Indians

If you spend $441 million on free agents, you'd better rank No. 1 on our most improved list. But the Yankees didn't just sign the best free-agent starter on the market (CC). They also added the second-best (Burnett) -- to a rotation that pitched fewer innings last year than any AL rotation except those motley crews in Baltimore and Texas. And that, friends, is what you call a serious upgrade. On the other side of the ball, you can question the price tag and length of Teixeira's deal. But he's still a fine fit for the middle of this order -- not to mention a major leatherworking improvement on Jason Giambi. Any time the Yankees write checks this large, you can cue the violas, as owners everywhere whine about this money machine. But with $88 million coming off their books and a new ballpark opening, what did the other 29 teams expect the Yankees to do -- sign John Wasdin, Mark Redman and D'Angelo Jimenez?

Best free-agent signings

1. CC Sabathia (7 years, $161 million)
2. Francisco Rodriguez (3 years, $37 million)
3. Mark Teixeira (8 years, $180 million)

You'd think a seven-year, $161 million mega-deal for any pitcher -- let alone one who looks like he should be playing nose tackle for the Jets -- would have its detractors. But while K-Rod and Teixeira also got votes in the worst-signings competition, believe it or not, CC piled up higher approval ratings than Barack Obama. He also inspired a trivia question: Name the four Yankees left-handers to win 20 games in any season in the division-play era. Ready? Time's up. The answer is … Andy Pettitte, Ron Guidry, Tommy John and Fritz Peterson. Yep, Fritz Peterson. Who knew?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3902573

crawdad
02-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Is anyone going to start a Baseball Fantasy League? I would be a willing participant.

TheChamp24
02-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Anyone else think the Yankees are going to miss the playoffs again? I think all those signings are going to come back to bite them in the butt and be failures.
At least I hope so.

elsid13
02-14-2009, 12:48 PM
ah yes, the old "handles a pitching staff" and "is a leader" arguments. Why'd you stop there, you might as well talk about how gritty he is and how he just knows how to win.

Using any available offensive or defensive metric, he is a horrible catcher, that's all there is to it.

Keep on believing that crap. I prefer to believe the pitchers that he handles. Penny has already said that it one of the reason he was glad to come to Boston, because he had chance to be caught by Tek.

Stats only tell half the story.

elsid13
02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Anyone else think the Yankees are going to miss the playoffs again? I think all those signings are going to come back to bite them in the butt and be failures.
At least I hope so.

I still think the defense is so-so and outfield is old.

Taco John
02-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Is anyone going to start a Baseball Fantasy League? I would be a willing participant.

Yeah, we usually do an Omane league, but that probably won't start until mid March.

SouthStndJunkie
02-14-2009, 05:30 PM
That Ken Griffey Jr.-to-Seattle reunion isn't a foregone conclusion just yet.

Two baseball sources told ESPN.com on Saturday that the Atlanta Braves are making a late play for Griffey and have begun discussing money with his agent.

TheChamp24
02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Keep on believing that crap. I prefer to believe the pitchers that he handles. Penny has already said that it one of the reason he was glad to come to Boston, because he had chance to be caught by Tek.

Stats only tell half the story.

He isn't that good anymore though, because of his poor offense. It was a joke IMO he made it onto the All Star squad last year, but whatever. I only see the Red Sox fans sticking up for him.
I'd rather have a Chris Iannetta, a guy who I can count on for offense and some defense, than Varitek at this point in his career.

crawdad
02-15-2009, 06:01 AM
Yeah, we usually do an Omane league, but that probably won't start until mid March.

Thanks, TJ!

Hogan11
02-16-2009, 11:19 PM
The Pittsburgh Pirates will be this years Tampa Bay Rays.....mark it down!

Natedog24
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Not that anyone cares, but Manny is officially a Dodger again pending a physical :)

SouthStndJunkie
03-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Not that anyone cares, but Manny is officially a Dodger again pending a physical :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3951246

Manny, Dodgers agree to $45M dea

It's about time.

broncofan
03-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Sorry gentlemen...but we will all be witness to a repeat this year.

SouthStndJunkie
03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Sorry gentlemen...but we will all be witness to a repeat this year.

The Tigers better not repeat their 2008 season.

24champ
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3951246

Manny, Dodgers agree to $45M dea

It's about time.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/2723277067_27a88de236.jpg?v=0

:~ohyah!:

Natedog24
03-07-2009, 03:03 AM
Watching the World Baseball Classic Japan/Korea game and not many people may care about it here in the US but WOW the atmosphere for this game sounds incredible. It sounds like game 7 of the World Series only even more intense...

SouthStndJunkie
03-07-2009, 11:28 PM
TORONTO -- With big league stars on both sides and national pride at stake, the United States and Canada gave their World Baseball Classic opener an October feel.

Adam Dunn and Brian McCann each hit a two-run homer, and Team USA held off feisty Canada 6-5 on Saturday to avenge a surprising loss three years ago.

"This is a playoff atmosphere," U.S. pitcher Jake Peavy said. "Everything is on the line, you're doing everything you can to win and advance in this tournament, and playing for your country just takes that through the roof. It's as good an atmosphere as it gets, I believe."

Kevin Youkilis added a solo shot and J.J. Putz closed it out in a nervous ninth inning for Team USA, which was upset by Canada in the inaugural WBC.

SouthStndJunkie
03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
I think the World Baseball Classic is a sweet concept.

SouthStndJunkie
03-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Props to the Netherlands for upsetting the Dominican Republic.

SouthStndJunkie
03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
The United States spanked Venezuela today 15-6.

SouthStndJunkie
03-10-2009, 08:36 PM
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Stunned twice by a pesky Netherlands team, the Dominican Republic is done at the World Baseball Classic.

Eugene Kingsale singled in the tying run and scored the game-winner as the Netherlands rallied for a 2-1 victory over the heavily favored Dominicans in 11 innings Tuesday night, earning a surprise spot in the second round.

It was the second time in four days that a Netherlands squad made up of little-known players upset the Dominican Republic, considered one of the favorites coming into the tournament thanks to a roster filled with major league All-Stars.

Natedog24
03-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Wow and the Aussies nearly beat Cuba tonight as well. I know a lot of people aren't paying much attention to the World Baseball Classic but I am really enjoying these games.

SouthStndJunkie
03-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Wow and the Aussies nearly beat Cuba tonight as well. I know a lot of people aren't paying much attention to the World Baseball Classic but I am really enjoying these games.

I am enjoying the WBC....the country versus country concept in baseball is very cool....and competitive, as baseball is now a global sport.

SouthStndJunkie
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
MIAMI -- Hobbled and humbled in the World Baseball Classic, Team USA is still swinging.

David Wright sliced a two-run single that capped a three-run rally in the bottom of the ninth inning Tuesday night, and the injury-plagued Americans qualified for this weekend's semifinals with a 6-5 win over Puerto Rico.

Wright's hit with one out eliminated Puerto Rico from the tournament.

"That situation is what you dream about when you're a kid," he said.

SouthStndJunkie
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
That was a sweet comeback win, considering Puerto Rico mercy ruled them a few days before.

24champ
03-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Go USA!

SouthStndJunkie
03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
3 out of the 4 teams have their spot in the semifinals:

USA
Venezuela
South Korea

The winner of the Japan/Cuba game will also advance (Japan is up 3-0 in the 6th inning).

SouthStndJunkie
03-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Japan beats Cuba 5-0 to advance to the semifinals.

Japan and South Korea play again on Thursday for seeding purposes in the semifinal round.

crawdad
03-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Is there any progress on an Omane Fantasy Baseball league? Count me in please!

Natedog24
03-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Both Japan and Korea seem like the class of the WBC thus far. Both teams pitch extremely well, are fundamentally sound and great at manufacturing runs when they need too. Cuba had a great team as well but playing in arguably the best pitcher's park in baseball, their power oriented offense had no chance against a team like Japan. Dodger Stadium should play well for the Asian teams as well so I am feeling an all Asian finals, which should make for excellent drama.

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Ivan Rodriguez is set to join the Houston Astros as soon as his physical is complete.

The 13-time Gold Glove winner said Thursday that he plans to join the team Sunday and hopes to play that day.

"I'm very excited," he said. "It's nice. I think it's a good team and I think probably what I got to do is just meet the players and spend time with them for the next two weeks and be ready for Opening Day."

He and the Astros have agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract, but the signing hasn't been officially announced by the team pending the results of his physical.

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I am glad to see Pudge catch on with another team.

He was the first big name player to sign with the Tigers after their 119 loss season of 2003 and helped to return the franchise back to respectability.

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Pudge has 2605 career hits....a year or so ago, I thought he was a lock for 3000 hits....but now I am not sure if he gets there.

SouthStndJunkie
03-21-2009, 11:52 PM
South Korea spanked Venezuela 10-2 tonight.

They will play the winner of USA/Japan in the World Baseball Classic finals.

SouthStndJunkie
03-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Daisuke Matsuzaka remained undefeated in the World Baseball Classic and defending champion Japan beat the United States 9-4 in the semifinals at Dodger Stadium.

Japan advanced to Monday night's title game against South Korea, a 10-2 winner over Venezuela in Saturday's semifinal. Japan won the inaugural tournament in 2006, defeating Cuba in the final.

Taco John
03-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Is there any progress on an Omane Fantasy Baseball league? Count me in please!

Sorry, I have too many projects on my hands and am not going to have time to do another fantasy league this year so someone here will have to take the initiative. Someone better get on it soon - it's just about that time!

SouthStndJunkie
03-22-2009, 11:47 PM
I am geeked for opening day.

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Ichiro comes through in the clutch with two down in the 10th.

Japan takes a 5-3 lead over South Korea.

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Japan wins their 2nd World Baseball Classic in a row.

SouthStndJunkie
03-24-2009, 11:57 PM
BOSTON (AP) - Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling says he's retiring from baseball. The 42-year-old right-hander who won World Series championships with Arizona and Boston announced on his blog Monday that he's leaving after 23 years with "zero regrets." Schilling missed all of last season with a shoulder injury. He had surgery last June and had said he might come back in the middle of this season. He made no reference to his injury on his blog, saying only he was very grateful. Schilling won a World Series with Arizona in 2001 and with Boston in 2004 and 2007. For his career, he has the 14th most strikeouts in baseball history. He leaves with a 216-146 record and 3.46 ERA.

SouthStndJunkie
03-24-2009, 11:59 PM
What do you guys think about Curt Schilling getting into the Hall of Fame?

If I had a vote, I would vote him in.

He is a douche for sure....but his clutch pitching and postseason success probably gets him the nod. His regular season numbers make him borderline, but his 11-2 record in postseason games with a 2.23 ERA and the bloody sock gives him the nod in my opinion.

Natedog24
03-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Despite what he did in Boston I'll still always remember Schilling most for the World Series he won in Arizona with Randy Johnson. They were both incredible in that World Series run...

SouthStndJunkie
03-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Despite what he did in Boston I'll still always remember Schilling most for the World Series he won in Arizona with Randy Johnson. They were both incredible in that World Series run...

No doubt.

What a one-two punch in the postseason.

Natedog24
03-25-2009, 12:10 AM

He is a douche for sure....but his clutch pitching and postseason success probably gets him the nod. His regular season numbers make him borderline, but his 11-2 record in postseason games with a 2.23 ERA and the bloody sock gives him the nod in my opinion.

I'd vote him in too, but I'll be surprised if does actually get enough votes to make it into the Hall. He definitely is one of the greatest clutch, post season pitchers though and his success in the major market of Boston should help him get some votes.

SouthStndJunkie
03-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Former New York Yankees outfielder Bernie Williams has been concentrating on his music career for the last two years. But his appearance with Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic has Williams thinking about a return to the majors.

Williams told reporters on Friday that his stint in the WBC has rekindled his interest in playing baseball. He never formally retired after playing 16 seasons with the Yankees.

SouthStndJunkie
03-29-2009, 12:00 AM
I saw Bernie in the WBC and he looked old and out of shape.

TheChamp24
03-29-2009, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't vote Schilling in. He is what I would classify as "very good" but never great.
6 All Star appearances in 18 years of starting, plus another 2 in relief.
He had some great years, but I don't know if I would classify him as HoF worthy. He is definitely borderline IMO. Very low win total for me.

Bernie Williams probably will get in too due to him being a Yankee. He has decent numbers, but is another "very good" player.

phillybroncosnut
03-29-2009, 01:44 AM

How quickly they forget what Schill meant for the '93 pennant winning Phillies. Or, how bout the Cy Young like efforts for the god awful 95-97 Phils.Schill was a stud. Not when he was with stud teams, but, no matter what the lineup that "supported" him.

SouthStndJunkie
03-31-2009, 07:39 AM
DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers have released nine-time All-Star Gary Sheffield, who is one home run away from 500 for his career.

Detroit parted ways with the designated hitter Tuesday after a disappointing stay with the Tigers. The team was hopeful the 40-year-old Sheffield would be a powerful presence at the plate in the final season of the $28 million, two-year contract extension it gave him after acquiring him from the New York Yankees for prospects.

Hogan11
03-31-2009, 09:05 AM

The bloody sock thing never impressed me to the extent that everyone made it out to be at the time, then again, I always hated that loud mouthed a-hole, so I'm biased.

Will he get into the HoF? Sure he will.....but personally, I'm glad he's gone.

Hogan11
03-31-2009, 09:11 AM
DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers have released nine-time All-Star Gary Sheffield, who is one home run away from 500 for his career.

Detroit parted ways with the designated hitter Tuesday after a disappointing stay with the Tigers. The team was hopeful the 40-year-old Sheffield would be a powerful presence at the plate in the final season of the $28 million, two-year contract extension it gave him after acquiring him from the New York Yankees for prospects.

Another lickbag I'd love to see disappear from the scene. If his career ended one short of the 500 HR mark, it would be sweet justice for all his years of azzholism...too bad that won't happen though, someone is bound to pick him up at some point.

SouthStndJunkie
03-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Another lickbag I'd love to see disappear from the scene. If his career ended one short of the 500 HR mark, it would be sweet justice for all his years of azzholism...too bad that won't happen though, someone is bound to pick him up at some point.

Sheff struggled in spring training.

He must not have much left in the tank....the Tigers were willing to eat the remaining $14 million that they still owed him.

TheChamp24
03-31-2009, 05:27 PM
I wonder if Sheffield will be a HoF candidate to be honest due to how he was never talked about as much as some other guys. Looking at his career numbers, they are very good. If he can play part time this season and get over 500, he would have a strong case for the HoF IMO.
2600+ hits, 450+ doubles, 500+ homeruns, 1600+ RBI's, 1600+ runs scored, stole 250+ bases, .290+ average, almost .400 OBP.

And man, Iannetta looks like he might becoming a stud catcher.

SouthStndJunkie
04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Braves/Phillies get the season started tonight.

Natedog24
04-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Finally, opening day is before us :strong:

Paladin
04-05-2009, 04:18 PM
GO Rockies!!!!!

Kid A
04-05-2009, 04:38 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29795392/

I want to believe. We'll see I guess. Rotation is top heavy unless a couple guys step up (or Bannister and Hochaver make big strides in AAA).

Best hitting lineup on paper since Beltran/Damon/Dye/Sweeney days. Which isn't saying much, given it's been a joke ever since, but I'm hopeful.

SouthStndJunkie
04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
My Tigers got smoked by the Blue Jays today....not sure what has happened to Justin Verlander.

The Orioles bash CC in his first start as a Yankee.

Griffey Jr. goes yard in his first game back with Seattle.

24champ
04-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Dodgers beat perennial Dodger killer...Peavy. 4-1, got outpitched by Kuroda. :strong:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/63/fullj.6b57a58290da4098f271399748565c20/6b57a58290da4098f271399748565c20-getty-85133603sd019_los_angeles_d.jpg

Hogan11
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
The Pirates showed a lotta heart last night in that 9th inning comeback win.

Of course, not being a large market and it being against a beloved team like the Cardinals, the highlights were totally ignored by ESPN.

crawdad
04-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Motte blew the save big time and the Redbirds took a nosedive at home on opening day. Good pitching beats good hitting everytime. Too bad our relievers aren't that good!

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers are making sure General Motors Corp. has a presence at Comerica Park despite the automaker's decision to stop sponsoring the team.

Detroit-based GM's name in past seasons adorned a fountain behind center field, and some of its vehicles were on display.

This season, fans will see the General Motors name on the fountain along with logos for Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC. Underneath GM's name, a sign reads: "The Detroit Tigers support our automakers."

GM and Chrysler are trying to rebound with billions in government aid, and GM says in a statement it discontinued sponsorship this season of the Tigers and other major league teams.

Detroit's home opener is Friday against Texas.

Paladin
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
In other news, the Dudgers are.......

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Brandon Lyon already blew his first save of the year for Detroit last night.

I have a feeling Detroit's bullpen is going to be just as bad, or worse than last year, if that is possible.

Rookie Ryan Perry may be counted on a lot to help solidify the pen.

I was also a little surprised to see rookie Rick Porcello stick on the roster, as I thought another season in the minors would serve him well. But he is super talented, and Leyland needs to win now to save his job.

Ramathorn
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
American League Leader in Strikeouts: MR Josh Beckett. The american league belongs to the red sox in 09 BABY!

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
My Tigers beat the Jays tonight 5-1.

Miguel Cabrera went yard twice and Brandon Inge hit his 3rd HR of the season.

Cabrera is going to have a monster season.

Hogan11
04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Motte blew the save big time and the Redbirds took a nosedive at home on opening day. Good pitching beats good hitting everytime. Too bad our relievers aren't that good!

Oh no...a Cards fan? Booooooo :moon:

Zach Duke looked pretty good. The Pirates may lack power but if they can bloop and single their way to wins like they did tonight on a regular basis, then who really needs the longball?

Ross Ohlendorf on the mound tomorrow, really looking forward to seeing what he can do. He was very impressive in ST.

Natedog24
04-09-2009, 10:38 AM
RIP Nick Adenhart

Rookie pitcher for the Angels killed in a car accident by a drugged up driver just after making his rookie debut as the starting pitcher in last nights game. Terribly sad story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4055343

Kid A
04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice series win for the Royals. Only scored two runs a game, but pitching was lights out (with the exception of Farnsworth in game 1). Coco Crisp impresses early with the clutch 9th inning homer today.

Hogan11
04-09-2009, 02:11 PM
The Bucs split the series with those dirty Redbirds.....I'll take it.

crawdad
04-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Chris Carpenter looked good today after a 2 year absence. Go Redbrids! Pirates did spank our ass last night!

Hogan11
04-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Chris Carpenter looked good today after a 2 year absence. Go Redbrids! Pirates did spank our ass last night!

We'll get you next time around Dad! ;)

Taco John
04-09-2009, 02:37 PM
YES! The Mariners are at .500! Woot!

This is probably going to be one of the only "Mariners are at .500" celebrations I get to do this season. I'm going to make sure I take advantage of such joyous moments when I can!

Requiem
04-09-2009, 02:38 PM

This is probably going to be one of the only "Mariners are at .500" celebrations I get to do this season. I'm going to make sure I take advantage of such joyous moments when I can!

Should be 3-1. . . IMHO. :D

crawdad
04-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Is Junior back in the Emerald City?

Karenin
04-09-2009, 02:41 PM
The Bucs split the series with those dirty Redbirds.....I'll take it.

That's something to hang your hat on when the Pirates end up with 60 wins this year.

Hogan11
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
That's something to hang your hat on when the Pirates end up with 60 wins this year.

They're this year's Rays...mark it down. :approve:

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Excellent win for my Tigers today, 4-3 over the Rangers.

The bullpen pitched 4 innings of no-hit ball....which is huge for a team that blew way too many close leads last year.

I think Fernando Rodney has taken the closer role away from Brandon Lyon for now.

After starting the year 1-3, they are now at .500 at 3-3.

TheChamp24
04-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Oh boy, a 2 game winning streak! WOW! hehe just messin with ya :P

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh boy, a 2 game winning streak! WOW! hehe just messin with ya :P

Actually, it is very important for the team....they started 0-7 last year and basically screwed their season....so getting off to a decent start this year is crucial for the psyche of the team.

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I predict a HUGE year for Miguel Cabrera.

He had a nice year last year with 37 HRs and 127 RBIs after a slow start.

I could see him hitting 45 HRs with 140 RBIs this year, with a .320 batting average.

Hogan11
04-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Great showing by my Buccos today. Back to back HR's featuring My Man Ryan Doumit with a Grand Slam followed by a blast from Adam LaRoche. Maholm solid as always. Let's see ESPN ignore that performance.

WABronco
04-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Mariners go to 4-2...become cliche "This Year's Rays" team until they most likely regress.

At least they're young and exciting. No more suck ass sad sack vets.

On a side note, I was thinking the other day, as I'm watching the game, how much this team was ravaged by Bill Bavasi. Good lord. The only undeniably good move, off the top of my head, he made in his entire tenure was sign Adrian Beltre.

Hogan11
04-11-2009, 05:26 PM
It may be only 5 games, but there's something beautiful about seeing the Red Sox in last place and the Yankees in 4th.

You have to take such things when you can get them ;D

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols put on quite a show Saturday.

Pujols hit a grand slam and a three-run homer to match a career high with seven RBIs, leading the St. Louis Cardinals to an 11-2 victory over the Houston Astros.

Hogan11
04-11-2009, 05:30 PM
ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols put on quite a show Saturday.

Pujols hit a grand slam and a three-run homer to match a career high with seven RBIs, leading the St. Louis Cardinals to an 11-2 victory over the Houston Astros.

http://www.driko.org/blogicons/deanwormer.jpg

"I hate those guys"

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2009, 05:36 PM
It is nice to see the Tribe starting out 0-5.

Hogan11
04-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Sweet triple play by the Bucs today in a losing effort. Ian Snell looked better today, but I still can't help to think he's damaged goods now. That WBC bullshat probably didn't help matters any.

SouthStndJunkie
04-12-2009, 05:31 PM
The Tigers were being shut down by Kevin Millwood through 7 innings and were down 4-0....but they rallied with 6 runs in the 8th and won 6-4 over Texas.

Brandon Inge is off to a great start this year....he went yard for the 4th time this year.

WABronco
04-12-2009, 08:04 PM
M's 5-2. OMG TEH REALLY R TEH RAYZ OMGZORS

SouthStndJunkie
04-13-2009, 03:11 PM
BOSTON -- Former All-Star pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych has been found dead in an apparent accident at his farm in Northborough, Massachusetts. He was 54.

Worcester County district attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. says a family friend found Fidrych about 2:30 p.m. Monday beneath a pickup truck. He appeared to be working on the truck, Early said.

The colorful right-hander was the American League rookie of the year in 1976 when he went 19-9 with a 2.34 earned run average. He spent all five of his major league seasons with the Detroit Tigers, compiling a 29-19 record and a 3.10 ERA.

His career was cut short by injuries.

SouthStndJunkie
04-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Detroit beat my least favorite team, the White Sox, 9-0 today.

Armando Galarraga is looking more and more like the staff ace.

Miguel Cabrera hit another HR and had 3 RBIs.

Outside of Albert Pujols, I can't think of another bat I would rather have in the lineup. Dude is a monster at the plate.

crawdad
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
http://www.driko.org/blogicons/deanwormer.jpg

"I hate those guys"

But you still wish Pujols was a Buc but that will never be. ;)

WABronco
04-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Outside of Albert Pujols, I can't think of another bat I would rather have in the lineup. Dude is a monster at the plate.

Russssellllllll BRANYANNNN.

LOL

TheChamp24
04-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Alex Rodriguez says hello. Although I guess his injury is a bit of a concern.
David Wright is a guy I would put heavy stock on as well.

SouthStndJunkie
04-15-2009, 05:41 PM

I will take Miggy over either of them....just my opinion.

Miggy will hit about .320 this year with 40 HRs and 130 to 140 RBIs.

TheChamp24
04-15-2009, 06:37 PM
I will take Miggy over either of them....just my opinion.

Miggy will hit about .320 this year with 40 HRs and 130 to 140 RBIs.

Wright will hit around the same, have a little less HR and RBI's, score more runs and will actually steal bases.
I'm not denouncing Cabrera, but I wouldn't say he is the 2nd best hitter in the game.
Plus, Alex Rodriguez, healthy over a full season, would surpass Cabrera's year.

Honestly, I'd rank the hitters as:
1. Albert Pujols
2. Alex Rodriguez(assuming he won't lose anything from the injury)
After that, there are a handful of guys, with Wright and Cabrera up there, that you could choose from. Just depends what you are more interested in in terms of production.

Taco John
04-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Ichiro is an absolute beast. A beast I tell you. A beast.

SouthStndJunkie
04-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Wright will hit around the same, have a little less HR and RBI's, score more runs and will actually steal bases.
I'm not denouncing Cabrera, but I wouldn't say he is the 2nd best hitter in the game.
Plus, Alex Rodriguez, healthy over a full season, would surpass Cabrera's year.

Honestly, I'd rank the hitters as:
1. Albert Pujols
2. Alex Rodriguez(assuming he won't lose anything from the injury)
After that, there are a handful of guys, with Wright and Cabrera up there, that you could choose from. Just depends what you are more interested in in terms of production.

I am a little biased, as I am a Tigers fan.

Miggy has a chance to put up some insane stats for his career.

Hard to believe he is only 25 (soon to be 26).

1039 hits already with 662 RBIs and a .310 career average.

SouthStndJunkie
04-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Ichiro is an absolute beast. A beast I tell you. A beast.

He is one of my all-time favorite players to watch.

Nice to see him back in the lineup so soon.

WABronco
04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Your tigers are goin down Junkie!

Yes Ichiro is awesome, but we've known that for 8 years now. What's awesome is watching each individual AB. I feel warm and happy every time Branyan or Griffey or Endy or Gutierrez takes a pitch and works the count. With each base-on-balls that taste of bile in my mouth, that's been there since the last game of Richie Sexson/Jose Vidro/Carl Everett (and every other junk hitter Bavasi brought in), lessens.

SouthStndJunkie
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Your tigers are goin down Junkie!

Yes Ichiro is awesome, but we've known that for 8 years now. What's awesome is watching each individual AB. I feel warm and happy every time Branyan or Griffey or Endy or Gutierrez takes a pitch and works the count. With each base-on-balls that taste of bile in my mouth, that's been there since the last game of Richie Sexson/Jose Vidro/Carl Everett (and every other junk hitter Bavasi brought in), lessens.

I see we start a series on Friday.

Justin Verlander versus 'King' Felix Hernandez....good pitching match up....JV has struggled as of late, but had a nice start the last time he took the mound.

I always enjoy the late night west coast games.

24champ
04-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Dodgers beat the Midgets again on a bases loaded walk, going for the sweep tomm!

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/46/fullj.92713f1094c55124c120c91fe532b9fb/92713f1094c55124c120c91fe532b9fb-getty-85124105kd020_san_francisco.jpg

TheChamp24
04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I am a little biased, as I am a Tigers fan.

Miggy has a chance to put up some insane stats for his career.

Hard to believe he is only 25 (soon to be 26).

1039 hits already with 662 RBIs and a .310 career average.

Kind of crazy how similar Cabrera's and ARod's numbers are to start their respective careers.
ARod had pretty much the same numbers at the same age Cabrera is. Cabrera's is a little higher because he actually got a full half season of play in before ARod really blossomed. Also, ARod missed a good 45-60 games with injuries those years. I can't wait to see what ARod's final numbers are going to be. Pujols' numbers probably will be crazy, I remember forecasting his totals and based on his production, he could end up with 800 homeruns, 4,000 hits. Its crazy.
And yeah, I'd say you are a little biased lol :P

SouthStndJunkie
04-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Kind of crazy how similar Cabrera's and ARod's numbers are to start their respective careers.
ARod had pretty much the same numbers at the same age Cabrera is. Cabrera's is a little higher because he actually got a full half season of play in before ARod really blossomed. Also, ARod missed a good 45-60 games with injuries those years. I can't wait to see what ARod's final numbers are going to be. Pujols' numbers probably will be crazy, I remember forecasting his totals and based on his production, he could end up with 800 homeruns, 4,000 hits. Its crazy.
And yeah, I'd say you are a little biased lol :P

Sounds like a you are a stats junkie, just like me.

TheChamp24
04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a you are a stats junkie, just like me.

Haha, yeah, I like to forecast how players final numbers will be a lot and determine if they are HoF material.
I'm really hoping Todd Helton can get a few solid years to end his career and have a good HoF credential, but I doubt he gets in. 10-15 years from now, people will just say "Well, that was Coors Field production".

24champ
04-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Sweep!!!! Dodgers completed sweep over the Midgets and go on a 5 game winning streak.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/76/fullj.28eb5abf76eb0ebc9e23d5ecb9017304/28eb5abf76eb0ebc9e23d5ecb9017304-getty-85124106hh022_san_francisco.jpg

Arkie
04-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I just read that Ken Griffey Jr became the only player ever to hit 400 HRs with one team (seattle) and 200 with another team (cincy). What makes this unlikely accomplishment even more unlikely? It's the fact he was traded away from Seattle with only 398 HRs, so a decade later, he's traded back to the same team to get those final two.

broncofan2438
04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Sweep!!!! Dodgers completed sweep over the Midgets and go on a 5 game winning streak.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/76/fullj.28eb5abf76eb0ebc9e23d5ecb9017304/28eb5abf76eb0ebc9e23d5ecb9017304-getty-85124106hh022_san_francisco.jpg

Was at the game last night. Was sitting in the all you can eat section and saw like 3 fights......the security guys always throw out the Giants fans! It was awesome....a little sick from the Dodger dogs and nachos.

24champ
04-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Was at the game last night. Was sitting in the all you can eat section and saw like 3 fights......the security guys always throw out the Giants fans! It was awesome....a little sick from the Dodger dogs and nachos.

Yeah they still have fights, but it's nothing like the ol' days.

Natedog24
04-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Kershaw looks like he has taken a nice step forward in his development, Stults looks decent filling in for Kuroda and Ronald Belisario has come out of nowhere to add some nice depth to the bullpen. Take away that one bad inning from McDonald and Dodger pitching has been pretty dominant so far this year, granted they haven't exactly faced a good offensive team yet (although the Padre's are pretty red hot right now). Colorado's lineup should be a much better test...

TheChamp24
04-17-2009, 12:06 PM
I just read that Ken Griffey Jr became the only player ever to hit 400 HRs with one team (seattle) and 200 with another team (cincy). What makes this unlikely accomplishment even more unlikely? It's the fact he was traded away from Seattle with only 398 HRs, so a decade later, he's traded back to the same team to get those final two.

I never liked how he practically demanded to be only traded to Cincinnati.
And he wasn't traded back to Seattle, he was a free agent and chose to go back to Seattle.
I always wonder what could have been with Junior had he not gotten all the injuries he has had in his career. Factoring days he would get off every year, he has missed roughly 420 games in his career.
2 and a half years, during his prime as well. Could argue that would be 90-100 homeruns more he would have, 400 hits. Such a shame :(

crawdad
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey guys, Ryan Ludwick is the bomb. The guys hitting .400 and is screaming hot. Pick him up for your FBL if he is available!

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Tigers up 3-1 on the Mariners right now.

Verlander was cruising until the 5th.

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Mariners tie the score at 3-3.

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2009, 08:33 PM
NEW YORK -- Gary Sheffield hit his 500th home run Friday night to became the 25th player in major league history to reach the milestone, belting a drive to left off Milwaukee's Mitch Stetter leading off the seventh inning.

phillybroncosnut
04-17-2009, 08:48 PM
NEW YORK -- Gary Sheffield hit his 500th home run Friday night to became the 25th player in major league history to reach the milestone, belting a drive to left off Milwaukee's Mitch Stetter leading off the seventh inning.

Thats ashame. I was hoping that scumbag would be stuck on 499 just like the other scumbag Canseco. Oh well, 500 is peanuts anymore. I remember when Mike Schmidt hit his 500th and it meant something,,, Now it means ZERO

lex
04-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Pujols is a better hitter than Rodriguez.

phillybroncosnut
04-17-2009, 09:02 PM

What as the biggest chokers in the clutch?? Whenyou say A Rod and Wright, all I think of is guys who can't hit when the chips are on the table.

TheChamp24
04-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Pujols is a better hitter than Rodriguez.

If you would've read the quote from SouthStndJunkie, you would've saw that he mentioned outside of Pujols...

What as the biggest chokers in the clutch?? Whenyou say A Rod and Wright, all I think of is guys who can't hit when the chips are on the table.

Oh, you mean arguably a guy that will go down as the best hitter of all time in ARod? Barry Bonds was labeled as a choker in the clutch to...
Doesn't take away from the fact ARod and Wright are amazing talents, and besides, Wright's only been in the league what, 3-4 years? He's still progressing.

spdirty
04-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Typical bullshlt Rockies team doing typical Rockies bullshlt, lol.

phillybroncosnut
04-17-2009, 09:53 PM
If you would've read the quote from SouthStndJunkie, you would've saw that he mentioned outside of Pujols...

Oh, you mean arguably a guy that will go down as the best hitter of all time in ARod? Barry Bonds was labeled as a choker in the clutch to...
Doesn't take away from the fact ARod and Wright are amazing talents, and besides, Wright's only been in the league what, 3-4 years? He's still progressing.

Most Baseball people will tell you he's arguably the best hitter of all time. They'll also tell you he's a cheater and hasn't done ANYTHING in playoff time, when the chips are all on the table. If you want to say Wright is young, that's fine... So are Victorino, Howard and Utley. Last i checked, they did pretty well while Wright and Co were choking the Division away the last 2 years.

Natedog24
04-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice come from behind win tonight for the Dodgers and a very impressive 1 2/3 innings from the closer Broxton. Hopefully the amount of innings that Broxton threw tonight doesn't hurt the Dodgers tomorrow.

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2009, 10:33 PM
The Mariners beat the Tigers 6-3.

I thought Verlander was going to cruise to an easy win until the 5th inning.

24champ
04-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice come from behind win tonight for the Dodgers and a very impressive 5 innings from the closer Broxton. Hopefully the amount of innings that Broxton threw tonight doesn't hurt the Dodgers tomorrow.

Yeah thanks to Kuo...that guy ****ing sucked in the 8th.

Meanwhile the Dodgers win their 6th straight.

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2009, 11:50 PM
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Third baseman Alex Gordon is expected to be out of Kansas City's lineup for at least two months after having surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip.

The surgery was performed Friday in Colorado and Royals manager Trey Hillman said the recovery time is 10 to 12 weeks.

TheChamp24
04-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Most Baseball people will tell you he's arguably the best hitter of all time. They'll also tell you he's a cheater and hasn't done ANYTHING in playoff time, when the chips are all on the table. If you want to say Wright is young, that's fine... So are Victorino, Howard and Utley. Last i checked, they did pretty well while Wright and Co were choking the Division away the last 2 years.

Wright IS young btw, he is only 26. Howard is 29, Utley 30, Victorino 28.

Again, what did Barry Bonds do in the playoffs?

Ryan Howard's postseason line:
.266 average, 4 homeruns, 10 RBI's, .882 OPS

Chase Utley's postseason line:
.213 average, 3 homeruns, 9 RBI's, .786 OPS

Shane Victorino's postseason line:
.262 average, 3 homeruns, 14 RBI's, .820 OPS

ARod's postseason line:
.279 average, 7 HR's, 17 RBI's, .844 OPS

David Wright didn't do well, but that is expected due to that year being only his 2nd full year in the bigs.

And again, Barry Bonds was awful in the postseason in Pittsburgh. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good hitter.

Taco John
04-18-2009, 08:46 AM
The Mariners beat the Tigers 6-3.

I thought Verlander was going to cruise to an easy win until the 5th inning.

The Mariners are looking scrappy this season. It's awesome!

Hogan11
04-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Two, count them, two three run blasts from Craig Monroe today in an absolute trouncing of the Braves. Pirates go for the sweep tomorrow :thumbs:

Sassy
04-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Two, count them, two three run blasts from Craig Monroe today in an absolute trouncing of the Braves. Pirates go for the sweep tomorrow :thumbs:

Ha! :approve:

lex
04-18-2009, 03:05 PM

I wasnt responding to SouthStandJunkie.

TheChamp24
04-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I wasnt responding to SouthStandJunkie.

When I mentioned ARod and Wright, I was putting it under the assumption Pujols was #1 bucko

Paladin
04-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Can we start a "Fire Clint Hurdle" thread now?

24champ
04-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Can we start a "Fire Clint Hurdle" thread now?

I think Yankees skipper Girardi will get canned before Hurdle does. Yanks are getting their ass kicked today. 20-4? wow.

Natedog24
04-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Ouch and they thought losing the opener in the new stadium was bad enough. That seat is going to be roasting hot.

PS: Manny has now officially homered off of every team in the Majors :strong:

Hogan11
04-18-2009, 07:08 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP)—Craig Monroe came out of the dugout for a curtain cull following his second home run of the game.

For the nine-year veteran, it was his official welcome to Pittsburgh.

“That was awesome,” he said. “To be with a new team and to get that appreciation from the crowd. It was spectacular.”

Monroe hit a pair of three-run homers and Ian Snell allowed four hits in seven-plus innings, lifting the Pittsburgh Pirates to a 10-0 victory over the Atlanta Braves on Saturday.

:thumbs:

80smith
04-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Mark Buehrle. 6 2/3 innings pitched with 8 hits and only 3 runs..... glad he is on the good side.

SouthStndJunkie
04-18-2009, 08:00 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP)—Craig Monroe came out of the dugout for a curtain cull following his second home run of the game.

For the nine-year veteran, it was his official welcome to Pittsburgh.

“That was awesome,” he said. “To be with a new team and to get that appreciation from the crowd. It was spectacular.”

Monroe hit a pair of three-run homers and Ian Snell allowed four hits in seven-plus innings, lifting the Pittsburgh Pirates to a 10-0 victory over the Atlanta Braves on Saturday.

:thumbs:

Good for Craig Monroe....a good guy and someone who is easy to root for.

He had some decent years with the Tigers.

SouthStndJunkie
04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Tigers shutout the Mariners 2-0 tonight.

Edwin Jackson with another great performance....looking like that might be a good trade with Tampa Bay.

7.2 innings 5 hits 0 ERs 1 BB 6 Ks

2.14 ERA on the year.

SouthStndJunkie
04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Randy Johnson took a no-hitter into the 7th and settled for 7 innings of 1 hit ball, as the Big Unit won his 296th career game today versus the Diamondbacks.

SouthStndJunkie
04-19-2009, 06:35 PM
20 year old Rick Porcello pitched 7 solid innings to help my Tigers beat the Mariners 8-2 today.

Porcello is the youngest player in the majors.

Tigs take 2 out of 3 on the road to win the series.

Hogan11
04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Bucs got shelled today but still took the series :thumbs:

Hogan11
04-20-2009, 11:28 PM
The Bucs handed the Sith's Marlins their second loss tonight 8-0.

"It's starting to come together Pepper, it's starting to come together!!!"

;D

Pony Boy
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
The Greatest Play In Baseball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrV8QPQAhxo

Hogan11
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
The Sith's Florida Marlins, 11-1, go into Pittsburgh and the Pirates bury them, sweeping the series AND emerging from it having the best staff ERA in MLB.

Take that non-belivers ;D

SouthStndJunkie
04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4084962

Dykstra's business: a bed of 'Nails'

Looks like Lenny Dykstra is a Grade 'A' grifter these days.

SouthStndJunkie
04-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Zack Greinke of the Royals is the best young pitcher in baseball right now.

Greinke has not allowed an Earned Run yet this year....and he has started 4 games already.

SouthStndJunkie
04-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Justin Verlander shut the Yankees down tonight.

7 innings of shutout ball.

0 walks and 9 Ks.

Maggs went yard.

Tigers win 4-2 over the Yankees.

Detroit goes to 11-8 on the year....a lot better start than last year (6-13).

slyinky
04-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Since the Nuggets game is all but over I decided to check out the Rockies box score. Rockies up 10 to 5 in the bottom of the fifth and Dexter Fowler already has 5 stolen bases. Gotta be close to a team record.

BuckinKaeding
04-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Eric Young had 6 for you all.

Thats the MLB record as well.

I hate Coors Field.

Very nice stadium, but damn it sure doesn't help bad hitting teams like the Padres.

I wonder if Hawpe's injury is significant???

crawdad
04-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Danny Haren pitched a complete game and had 10 K's against the Cubs and I had him on the bench in FBB. What a dumb ass!

SouthStndJunkie
05-01-2009, 10:57 PM
SAN FRANCISCO -- Randy Johnson yielded four hits and struck out nine over seven scoreless innings in his 297th career victory, leading the surging San Francisco Giants past the Colorado Rockies 3-2 Friday night.

SouthStndJunkie
05-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Tigers took 2/3 games from the Indians.

It looks like Justin Verlander may be back to form....which would be huge for the Tigers.

2 straight kick ass starts from JV.

Today: 7 innings 2 hits 1 ER and 11 Ks.

Brandon Inge hit another HR....his 8th on the year....he and Curtis Granderson both have 8 HRs on the year.

Joel Zumaya is back and looking good....I hope he can stay healthy....he is fun to watch and when he is on....good luck

13-11 and half a game out of first place....I will take that.

Kid A
05-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Zack Greinke of the Royals is the best young pitcher in baseball right now.

Greinke has not allowed an Earned Run yet this year....and he has started 4 games already

I'm so proud right now. 5-0, 0.5 ERA. He'll cool off, but he has served notice that he will be one of the young pitching stars in this league for a while.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2009/0504_large.jpg

crawdad
05-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Hey Hogan, the Bucs play the Cards this week and next week! Game on!

TheChamp24
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
All hail the great Zach Greinke! My goodness, this kid has just been FILTHY.

SouthStndJunkie
05-04-2009, 07:59 PM
All hail the great Zach Greinke! My goodness, this kid has just been FILTHY.

6-0 with a 0.40 ERA.

phillybroncosnut
05-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Best wishes to Rick Ankiel from a Phils fan. I lterally yelled when he hit the wall face first. Sick sick, scary moment. Great catch too. Hope all is well with Rick.

TheChamp24
05-04-2009, 09:34 PM
6-0 with a 0.40 ERA.

3 complete games, 2 shutouts, the other was 1 unearned run given up so basically 3 shutouts.
Only 1 game pitched given up earned run, and that was 2 runs given up over 7 innings.
Is this the best start a pitcher has ever had to start a season?

Hogan11
05-04-2009, 11:02 PM

You're catching the Bucs missng a few pieces, they're pretty beat up. That's why they're dropping the games they are, no viable replacements via the bench. My hope is that Doumit & Wilson return soon and McClouth overcomes the ab problem in time to save the good start, otherwise..we're finished. :(

Hogan11
05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Best wishes to Rick Ankiel from a Phils fan. I lterally yelled when he hit the wall face first. Sick sick, scary moment. Great catch too. Hope all is well with Rick.

Saw the "highlights" on that, it was terrible.

Maybe, he'll come back as a pitcher.....j/k.

crawdad
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Saw the "highlights" on that, it was terrible.

Maybe, he'll come back as a pitcher.....j/k.

Tests were neg for any damage. Apperars to be day to day!

phillybroncosnut
05-05-2009, 08:07 PM

Nah,,, By request of the world champs, the league has announced the Phils will stay in STL the rest of the year. :wiggle:

WABronco
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/47479/griffey40000001-1.gif

Griffey's 400th as a Mariner, in case you missed it.

SouthStndJunkie
05-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Tigers smoke the Twins tonight 9-0.

Miguel Cabrera went yard (7th) and so did Curtis Granderson (9th).

Interesting that they moved Granderson down to 5th in the lineup....a smart move in my opinion.

20 year old Rick Porcello pitched 7 innings of shutout ball.

SouthStndJunkie
05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/47479/griffey40000001-1.gif

Griffey's 400th as a Mariner, in case you missed it.

bwahaha....it took me a second to catch on.

SportinOne
05-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Hey Hogan, how about those Brewers?

17 in a row! Although it won't hit 20, especially if you get some of your players back. But i'm not sorry. You guys dished out some punishment when PNC first opened up and started a downward spiral on a couple of our seasons when we were still trying to get over that .500 hump.

Anyway, I want to address something.. What is with your players all looking the same?

http://www.eastcountysports.com/main/2005-06/college/images/MUG-JefKarstens2006.jpg http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/03/sean-burnett-243.jpg http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/Jack_Wilson.jpg

Hogan11
05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Hey Hogan, how about those Brewers?

17 in a row! Although it won't hit 20, especially if you get some of your players back. But i'm not sorry. You guys dished out some punishment when PNC first opened up and started a downward spiral on a couple of our seasons when we were still trying to get over that .500 hump.

Anyway, I want to address something.. What is with your players all looking the same?

http://www.eastcountysports.com/main/2005-06/college/images/MUG-JefKarstens2006.jpg http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/03/sean-burnett-243.jpg http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/Jack_Wilson.jpg

The bench actually has been holding it's own in the wake of the injuries, it's been the bullpen that's been letting them down as of late....so much for a supposed team strength :(

As for the players looking alike...I've never noticed that before, but it is pretty funny Hilarious!

WABronco
05-06-2009, 06:14 PM
How many of you have, not so much rooted against the team, but rooted against a certain player (mainly a sucktastic starting pitcher), specifically when said player's job is on the line?

Example: I want Carlos Silva to lose/do extremely poorly tonight against the Kansas City Royals. He's already given up 6 through 3, and that makes me happy. That makes me happy because his overpayed, worthless, no talent ass is on the line and he might get removed after tonight's start. On top of that he's a hypocrite because he gets off by criticizing others effort or play when he is by far the worst, most horribly overpaid player on the team/in the league. Carlos Silva is pure evil.

Who can relate?

SportinOne
05-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Brewers destroy Reds 15-3. 9 runs through the first 2 innings, Braun with a Grand Slam.

Funny thing is.. with the score 10-3 Dusty Baker put in his SS to pitch. He proceeded to get shellacked for a 5-run 9th.

SportinOne
05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
How many of you have, not so much rooted against the team, but rooted against a certain player (mainly a sucktastic starting pitcher), specifically when said player's job is on the line?

Example: I want Carlos Silva to lose/do extremely poorly tonight against the Kansas City Royals. He's already given up 6 through 3, and that makes me happy. That makes me happy because his overpayed, worthless, no talent ass is on the line and he might get removed after tonight's start. On top of that he's a hypocrite because he gets off by criticizing others effort or play when he is by far the worst, most horribly overpaid player on the team/in the league. Carlos Silva is pure evil.

Who can relate?

I can totally relate. My favorite football team has an absolute douchebag of a coach.

WABronco
05-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I can totally relate. My favorite football team has an absolute douchebag of a coach.

Witty!

Natedog24
05-06-2009, 10:19 PM
History made!

With the 10-3 win over the Nats the Dodgers are the first team to win their first 13 home games. Go Blue!

crawdad
05-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Hogan, good game yesterday, Cards came out on top. Home field advantage. Pujols is incredible, a monster with the bat.

ColoradoBuff
05-07-2009, 10:16 AM
History made!

With the 10-3 win over the Nats the Dodgers are the first team to win their first 13 home games. Go Blue!

Good thing the Dahgers got out to that hott start now that Manny is gone for 50 games!

Karenin
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Where did all the Dodgers trolls go?

Natedog24
05-07-2009, 02:24 PM

Right here, how does supporting my favorite baseball team make me a troll.

Hogan11
05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Hogan, good game yesterday, Cards came out on top. Home field advantage. Pujols is incredible, a monster with the bat.

The Bucs are currently reeling...expect to sweep them :(

SouthStndJunkie
05-08-2009, 04:19 PM
BOSTON -- Dominic DiMaggio, the bespectacled Boston Red Sox center fielder who made his own mark on the major leagues despite playing in the shadow of teammate Ted Williams and DiMaggio's Hall of Fame brother Joe, died early Friday at his Massachusetts home. He was 92.

elsid13
05-08-2009, 04:25 PM
BOSTON -- Dominic DiMaggio, the bespectacled Boston Red Sox center fielder who made his own mark on the major leagues despite playing in the shadow of teammate Ted Williams and DiMaggio's Hall of Fame brother Joe, died early Friday at his Massachusetts home. He was 92.

He was one the truly great player that doesn't get his due because of his brother. For a great read

The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship
David Halberstam

From Publishers Weekly
Famed journalist and baseball aficionado Halberstam (Summer of '49) presents a short but sweet account of the lives and friendship of four ballplayers from the legendary Boston Red Sox teams of the 1940s: Ted Williams, Dominic DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky and Bobby Doerr. Told in a series of flashbacks as DiMaggio and Pesky drive from Massachusetts to Florida to see an ailing Williams for what was probably their last time, Halberstam's story is less a biography and more a reverie for "men of a certain generation, born right at the end of World War I" who "had seized on baseball as their one chance to get ahead in America."

TheChamp24
05-08-2009, 04:26 PM
ARod's first pitch he sees in a regular at bat, he crushes it for a homerun to left. Kind of a storybook feel there.

elsid13
05-08-2009, 04:40 PM
ARod's first pitch he sees in a regular at bat, he crushes it for a homerun to left. Kind of a storybook feel there.

If that storybook is manual for steroid cycling.

lex
05-08-2009, 04:53 PM

Perhaps they went to the NBA playoffs thread.

BTW, did anyone else find it both sad and amusing the Platzke says this is going to kill the baseball loving culture in LA? Are you kidding me? One player will make people lose interest in the Dodgers? WTH! Thats just sad if true.

SouthStndJunkie
05-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Just watched the best baseball game I have seen all year.

Tigers beat the Indians 1-0.

Curtis Granderson robbed Grady Sizemore of a HR in the bottom of the 9th that would have won the game for the Indians....awesome epic catch.

Justin Verlander is back to dominating again.

9 innings 2 hits 0 ER 2 BB 11 Ks

Complete game shutout.

80smith
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Just watched the best baseball game I have seen all year.

Tigers beat the Indians 1-0.

Curtis Granderson robbed Grady Sizemore of a HR in the bottom of the 9th that would have won the game for the Indians....awesome epic catch.

Justin Verlander is back to dominating again.

9 innings 2 hits 0 ER 2 BB 11 Ks

Complete game shutout.

Should be a good year for the tigers and royals.... Bad year for the white sox. But I love Mark Buehrle.......

SouthStndJunkie
05-08-2009, 08:50 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DK-5VvsFcLM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DK-5VvsFcLM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

SouthStndJunkie
05-09-2009, 09:27 AM
The dumb ass Indians announcer proclaimed it a home run.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BdrV5iF43tQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BdrV5iF43tQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

SouthStndJunkie
05-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Evan Longoria has 44 RBIs already....no soph slump for him yet.

SouthStndJunkie
05-10-2009, 07:33 PM
The Tigers sweep the Indians in their 3 game series.

SouthStndJunkie
05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Ryan Zimmerman singled off Randy Johnson in the first inning of Monday's game at San Francisco to extend his hitting streak to 29 games.

WABronco
05-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Even though Seattle broke their losing skid, they have that familiar look. If you ask me they're a flawed team who will have to have more and more outstanding starting pitching to even win games, much less compete down the line. Ichiro, Betancourt, Lopez, Beltre, whoever's catching=flawed lineup. Ich is a great player, but team him up with the latter crew and you've got the most hack-happy offense in the league.

Now, I'm not a negative nancy-type hindsight-whiner, but sometimes I wonder what kind of team Seattle would have if not for Bavasi and the front office sabotaging our post 02/03 rebuilding. Asdrubal Cabrera, Shin Soo Choo, Adam Jones...all stud major leaguers traded off for token playoff hopes in the last few years (as well a couple nice prospects, including a possible 1/2 starter in Chris Tillman, who's now with Baltimore and owning AAA). Sure, it's nice to have Bedard now and pitching well, but that trade was a result of a drastic misjudgement and a crippling error in my opinion.

/rant

SouthStndJunkie
05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
SAN FRANCISCO -- Randy Johnson struck out nine in his 298th career victory, and Randy Winn had three hits and scored three runs in the San Francisco Giants' 11-7 win over the Washington Nationals on Monday night.

TheChamp24
05-11-2009, 10:52 PM
What joy it would be to me to see Randy stuck on 299 forever.

SouthStndJunkie
05-11-2009, 10:53 PM
I don't have anything against Randy Johnson....I am rooting for him to get to 300 wins and to pitch well.

TheChamp24
05-11-2009, 10:58 PM
He's never been very friendly, thats the thing.
Also, his child that he sort of tried to get money back from the mother.

SouthStndJunkie
05-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Ryan Zimmerman extended his hitting streak to 30 games with two singles.

Taco John
05-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Even though Seattle broke their losing skid, they have that familiar look. If you ask me they're a flawed team who will have to have more and more outstanding starting pitching to even win games, much less compete down the line. Ichiro, Betancourt, Lopez, Beltre, whoever's catching=flawed lineup. Ich is a great player, but team him up with the latter crew and you've got the most hack-happy offense in the league.

Now, I'm not a negative nancy-type hindsight-whiner, but sometimes I wonder what kind of team Seattle would have if not for Bavasi and the front office sabotaging our post 02/03 rebuilding. Asdrubal Cabrera, Shin Soo Choo, Adam Jones...all stud major leaguers traded off for token playoff hopes in the last few years (as well a couple nice prospects, including a possible 1/2 starter in Chris Tillman, who's now with Baltimore and owning AAA). Sure, it's nice to have Bedard now and pitching well, but that trade was a result of a drastic misjudgement and a crippling error in my opinion.

/rant

Word up.

Still, we have to make the best with the cards we've been dealt, and at the very least, Wakamatsu had them awake enough to start out hot. The good news is that they've seen that they can do it. The boys have had a rough ten games, but they can pull out of this nose-dive and compete. And at least to me, that's something. We might not make the playoffs this year, but I think that we'll compete down the stretch, and that sure as hell beats last season...

Hogan11
05-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Finally......finally snapped that losing streak last night. My God :nono:

crawdad
05-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Yep, my Redbirds took one on the nose. Bucs were due!

SouthStndJunkie
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Dontrelle Willis takes the mound for the first time in a while tonight for Detroit.

All his problems are between his ears.

That and his lousy pitching mechanics were bound to screw him up sooner or later.

Sassy
05-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Finally......finally snapped that losing streak last night. My God :nono:

:yayaya:

Hogan11
05-13-2009, 10:58 PM
:yayaya:

Back to back wins and a series win (not to mention a possible sweep) against the Cardinals no less Yikes!

With games against the Rockies and Nats coming up, there's no reason why the Bucs can't put together some sort of rebound.

WABronco
05-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Word up.

Still, we have to make the best with the cards we've been dealt, and at the very least, Wakamatsu had them awake enough to start out hot. The good news is that they've seen that they can do it. The boys have had a rough ten games, but they can pull out of this nose-dive and compete. And at least to me, that's something. We might not make the playoffs this year, but I think that we'll compete down the stretch, and that sure as hell beats last season...

Ya that's true. It can't get any worse than last season, if only because we have guys like Branyan and...uhhhh, uhhhh, a good starting rotation.

It just gets frustrating when flaws come to the forefront and lead to big L's, and there's nothing that can be done about it (other than hope the current crop can in fact figure it out).

crawdad
05-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Back to back wins and a series win (not to mention a possible sweep) against the Cardinals no less Yikes!

With games against the Rockies and Nats coming up, there's no reason why the Bucs can't put together some sort of rebound.

You must have hit the Cardinals on a downhill swing! Pitching for the Redbirds is suspect!

Hogan11
05-14-2009, 07:04 AM
You must have hit the Cardinals on a downhill swing! Pitching for the Redbirds is suspect!

I dunno what it actually is, but I'm thankful for it. Nothing stops the bleeding like a sweep of a quality opponent :thumbs:

crawdad
05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Well H, the season is very long and it is still early.

Have a great weekend!

SouthStndJunkie
05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I think the Tigers stole starting pitcher Edwin Jackson from Tampa Bay when they traded for him and gave up Matt Joyce, who is currently in the minors.

Edwin Jackson is 3-2 with a 2.42 ERA in 8 starts this year with an 11/41 BB/K ratio.

He is still young at 25 years old.

SouthStndJunkie
05-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Zack Greinke goes to 7-1 with a 0.60 ERA on the year.

SouthStndJunkie
05-17-2009, 01:48 PM
The Tigers sweep the A's, outscoring them 34-9 in the three games.

elsid13
05-17-2009, 04:37 PM
And Red Sox are done traveling to the West Coast. Thank god, it was brutal.

SouthStndJunkie
05-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Props to Todd Helton for getting the 2,000th hit of his career.