PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2009

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

phillybroncosnut
07-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Dodgers better do something. They have ZERO shot with their current pitching staff. ZERO!

DBroncos4life
07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Dodgers better do something. They have ZERO shot with their current pitching staff. ZERO!
No tonight was on the bullpen.

Taco John
07-29-2009, 10:33 PM

I think they'll have Washburn or Halladay by the end of the week.

24champ
07-29-2009, 11:31 PM
No tonight was on the bullpen.

Might get Halladay, now that Cliff Lee is out of the running.

The Blue Jays would not require the Dodgers to include right-hander Chad Billingsley or lefty Clayton Kershaw in a deal for Halladay, according to major-league sources. But Dodgers GM Ned Colletti has said publicly that the Jays want five or six of his team's best young players.

Crap..that's a tough one. Keep your major league young guys but give up 5-6 top prospects for Halladay...I dunno.

Flip a coin Colletti.

Requiem
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Not a bad deal for either team. Wilson's bat is better than what we have at the position, and obviously he's a damn good defender. Hopefully we can get some pitching rotation help from Snell; but I don't know how well he does in Seattle where he'll get little run support.

The Pirates could get a good player in Clement, but he has never been consistent when called up. Frankly, I'm not worried about getting rid of a few back-end pitchers who will more than likely not turn into anything special. This move makes the Mariners better now and for 2010. Hopefully, Batista can get moved because I think the Wlad deal might have got us a quality relief pitcher.

SouthStndJunkie
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, lawyers with knowledge of the results told The New York Times.

The two were key members of the Boston Red Sox World Series teams in 2004 and 2007.

DBroncos4life
07-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Might get Halladay, now that Cliff Lee is out of the running.

Crap..that's a tough one. Keep your major league young guys but give up 5-6 top prospects for Halladay...I dunno.

Flip a coin Colletti.

Someone on another board brought up a good point about Bills in Kersh, its going to be pretty hard to keep them both in a few years so why not trade one now. I see the point but I would rather keep them, and if we can get Hallady without losing either then lets to it.

DBroncos4life
07-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, lawyers with knowledge of the results told The New York Times.

The two were key members of the Boston Red Sox World Series teams in 2004 and 2007.

Just release the damn list.

WABronco
07-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Good thing neither has tested positive...

...oh wait.

24champ
07-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Someone on another board brought up a good point about Bills in Kersh, its going to be pretty hard to keep them both in a few years so why not trade one now. I see the point but I would rather keep them, and if we can get Hallady without losing either then lets to it.

We won't know if we get Halladay long term. If we could, then I see your point that we could have a problem in a few years. Though there is some serious pressure in LA to win a title or make a run for one NOW. Fans are anxious and have waited about 20 years for a run.

Now it appears the Dodgers are in the lead for the right-handed ace. - Providence Journal

One source with knowledge of the Blue Jays' thinking predicted that the Dodgers could "catch their attention" with an offer that included third baseman Josh Bell, shortstop Devaris Gordon and hard-throwing pitching prospects from among the group of Josh Lindblom, Ethan Martin and Nathan Eovaldi.- Fox Sports

A little more than 24 hours before the non-waiver trade deadline, the Dodgers are pursuing a marquee starter, Toronto's Roy Halladay, and a marquee reliever, Baltimore's George Sherrill.- Fox Sports

Again, I don't know ...don't like the idea of gutting the farm but like I said Coletti...flip a coin if your going to make a deal like that. Can't go wrong with either staying put or pulling the trigger.

Peoples Champ
07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Did anyone see highlights from Cardinals/Dogders last night?

I am growing on liking the Cardinals, even though I pull for the Rockies. Cardinals are going fort the sweep tonight against the Dodgers, which will help the Rocks out.

Its sweet seeing Matt Holliday here now, of course it was more fun when he was a Rockie, now its cool seeing him in Cardinal red since I am here now.

Taco John
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I watched that game from the 9th inning on. I finally broke down and bought MLB.tv.

Peoples Champ
07-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I watched that game from the 9th inning on. I finally broke down and bought MLB.tv.

That game rocked. Colby Rasmus dominated. Had the game tying hit in the bottom of 9th, then saved some runs with a diving catch in center in the 10th. If he played more, he could get Rookie of the year.

DBroncos4life
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
UPDATE

2:40pm: Yahoo's Gordon Edes says the Orioles are "on the verge of trading Sherrill to the Dodgers for Scott Elbert and Josh Bell." Sherrill, 32, is under team control through 2011. He has a 2.40 ERA with 20 saves in 41.3 innings this year. Fantasy leaguers, time to pick up Jim Johnson.

Hogan11
07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
More Pirates trade rumors...this time Grabow and Gorzelanny to the Cubs, not sure of the prospect return here or if any major ready player is involved.

Grabow/Gorzelanny to Cubs 'just about done'
By Dejan Kovacevic | 3:45 p.m. Thursday

The Pirates are discussing a trade that would send pitchers John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny to the Chicago Cubs, according to a team source.

No deal is in place, and other teams are interested in Grabow, so this might not happen at all.

UPDATE 3:55 p.m.: If such a deal were to take place, unless a left-hander or two comes in return, the Pirates would be all but depleted of left-handed relievers at the top three levels of the organization. Donnie Veal is all that remains in Pittsburgh, and there is no one of note in Indianapolis or Altoona, save for rehabilitating Phil Dumatrait.

4:13 p.m.: One source directly involved said this deal is just about done.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/default.aspx

SouthStndJunkie
07-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Word on the street is that the Pirates will now trade all these prospects for little league all-stars and pay them with 'Big League Chew'.

Hogan11
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Word on the street is that the Pirates will now trade all these prospects for little league all-stars and pay them with 'Big League Chew'.

Ha ha. Here's hoping the Tigers never have to go through such times.

SouthStndJunkie
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Ha ha. Here's hoping the Tigers never have to go through such times.

I sure hope not....although 1994-2005 were all losing seasons, including the 43-119 debacle that was 2003.

12 straight years of losing records makes you appreciate the good years.

Of course, the Pirates are on their way to their 17th consecutive losing season, so you know how it feels for sure.

I feel bad for the team and their fans. PNC is the nicest ballpark I have been to....and I have been to a lot of ballparks.

Be nice to see them keep their talent and be competitive again.

Hogan11
07-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I sure hope not....although 1994-2005 were all losing seasons, including the 43-119 debacle that was 2003.

12 straight years of losing records makes you appreciate the good years.

Of course, the Pirates are on their way to their 17th consecutive losing season, so you know how it feels for sure.

I feel bad for the team and their fans. PNC is the nicest ballpark I have been to....and I have been to a lot of ballparks.

Be nice to see them keep their talent and be competitive again.

No fans left really but the hardcore....it's somewhat a badge of honor I guess.

It can't last forever, that's what I keep telling myself anyways.

Hogan11
07-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Grabow, Gorzelanny traded to Cubs
Thursday, July 30, 2009
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Evan Vucci/Associated PressNew Pirates pitcher Kevin Hart is 3-1 with a 2.60 ERA in eight games with the Cubs this season.The Pirates have traded pitchers John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny to the Chicago Cubs.

According to a release the Pirates acquired right-handed pitchers Kevin Hart and Jose Ascanio and infielder Josh Harrison from the Cubs.

The 26-year-old Hart went 3-1 with a 2.60 ERA (27.2ip/8er) in eight games (four starts) this year with the Cubs. As a starter, he was charged with two earned runs or fewer in three of his four starts and won his final outing this afternoon after allowing three earned runs in 6.0 innings of work against the Astros at Wrigley Field.

Hart, who will immediately join the Pirates, entered the season rated by Baseball America as the Cubs' sixth-best prospect. He began the year with Triple-A Iowa of the Pacific Coast League, where he went 3-3 with three saves and a 3.10 ERA (52.1ip/18er) and 57 strikeouts in 22 games (six starts). Hart made each of his first 16 appearances with Iowa in relief before going 3-0 with a 1.41 ERA (32.0ip/5er) and .157 batting average against in six starts. In 146 career games (100 starts) in the minor leagues, Hart struck out 575 batters and allowed just 224 walks in 604.1 innings pitched.

The 6-foot-4 righthander was originally selected by Baltimore in the 11th round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft before being acquired by Chicago on December 6, 2006. During his first season in the Cubs minor league system in 2007, Hart was named the organization's Pitcher-of-the-Year after going 10-1 with a 2.80 ERA in 17 games (10 starts) before making his Major League debut in September. During his first stint in the big leagues as a September call-up that year, he posted a 0.82 ERA (11.0ip/1er) in eight relief appearances.

Ascanio split the 2009 campaign between Chicago and Iowa. He went 0-1 with a 3.52 ERA (15.1ip/6er) and 18 strikeouts in 14 relief appearances with the Cubs while averaging 10.6 strikeouts per nine innings pitched. He posted a 2.38 ERA (11.1ip/3er) and 13 strikeouts in his last 12 relief appearances before being optioned back to Iowa on June 30.

The 24-year-old Ascanio was charged with a total of just three earned runs in his first eight starts (33.2ip) in two separate stints with the I-Cubs. He also did not surrender a home run in his first 11 starts with Iowa before doing so for the first time in his last outing on Monday night at Albuquerque. In 2007, Ascanio was ranked by Baseball America with the "Best Fastball" among Southern League pitchers while also being named to the league's mid-season All-Star team. He posted a 2-2 record and 2.54 ERA (78.0ip/22er) in 44 games (one start) before being directly promoted from Double-A to the big leagues with Atlanta, where he made 13 relief appearances.

Harrison hit a combined .327 (122-for-373) with 20 doubles, eight triples, five home runs, 42 RBI, 61 runs scored and 26 stolen bases in 97 games with Single-A Peoria and Single-A Daytona.

The 22-year-old Harrison began the season with Peoria, where he hit .337 (102-for-303) with 17 doubles, seven triples, four home runs, 33 RBI and 16 stolen bases in 79 games. He hit .373 (25-for-67) in 19 games in April, which was the second-highest batting average in the Midwest League and .342 (41-for-120) in May, which ranked 10th among all Midwest League hitters. He also was named to the Midwest League mid-season All-Star team before being promoted to Daytona on July 8.

Since joining Daytona, Harrison posted seven multi-hit games in his 18 contests while being named the Florida State League's Player-of-the-Week this past week after going 11-for-26 (.423 average) with seven stolen bases.

Harrison was selected by the Cubs in the sixth round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Cincinnati. During his first professional season, he was named to the Northwest League post-season All-Star team after hitting .351 (40-for-114) with 11 doubles, two triples, one home run, 25 RBI, 27 runs scored and 12 stolen bases in just 33 games with Boise.

Ascanio will be assigned to Triple-A Indianapolis of the International League while Harrison will join Single-A Lynchburg of the Carolina League.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09211/987565-100.stm#ixzz0MmiNSJGb

WABronco
07-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Starting Garret Olson in Texas is a LAWL moment.

phillybroncosnut
07-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Billingsly might be the most overrated pitcher I've seen in a while. Either that, or, everytime I see him, he looks no better then any teams #4. Kershaw could be a future #1, but it's no guarantee.
I don't get the Dodgers.... They need a legit pitcher more then any contender out there, yet, they HAVE to keep Billingsly and Kershaw. By time kershaw is a legit #1, their team will be a shell. no Loney, no Manny, no Martin (overrated too). Why would they not make the run now while that small window is still open.
I'm hoping the Phils turn around now and deal both Happ and Drabek and get Halladay. Lee Hamels and Halladay.... we wouldn't be beat. I know it wont happen but you have to make the moves while the window is open.

Dodgers are lucky to be the 3rd best team in the NL unless they make a move. the Phillies and Cards both have a way better rotation and way better lineup. The Dodgers better make a move.

TheChamp24
07-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Billingsly might be the most overrated pitcher I've seen in a while. Either that, or, everytime I see him, he looks no better then any teams #4. Kershaw could be a future #1, but it's no guarantee.
I don't get the Dodgers.... They need a legit pitcher more then any contender out there, yet, they HAVE to keep Billingsly and Kershaw. By time kershaw is a legit #1, their team will be a shell. no Loney, no Manny, no Martin (overrated too). Why would they not make the run now while that small window is still open.
I'm hoping the Phils turn around now and deal both Happ and Drabek and get Halladay. Lee Hamels and Halladay.... we wouldn't be beat. I know it wont happen but you have to make the moves while the window is open.

Dodgers are lucky to be the 3rd best team in the NL unless they make a move. the Phillies and Cards both have a way better rotation and way better lineup. The Dodgers better make a move.

I thought Billingsley was on the mark to stardom, but now has faltered of late and hasn't looked very good. I posted something a week ago, and Ubaldo Jimenez is having nearly an identical season to Chad's, but of course Chad is labeled greater than Ubaldo.

WABronco
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Detroit gets Washburn for Luke French and A-ball pitcher Maurico Robles.

I'm glad we dealt him. To not do so would've been dumb. His value was as high as it's ever going to be...ever. He's not an ace pitcher. No matter how much he loves it in Seattle there was never a guarantee he would stay.

Detroit's rotation is looking pretty solid now though 1-3.

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Detroit gets Washburn for Luke French and A-ball pitcher Maurico Robles.

I'm glad we dealt him. To not do so would've been dumb. His value was as high as it's ever going to be...ever. He's not an ace pitcher. No matter how much he loves it in Seattle there was never a guarantee he would stay.

Detroit's rotation is looking pretty solid now though 1-3.

Outside of his last start, French has had some solid outings for the Tigers.

Tigers now boast three of the top seven starting ERAs in baseball.

Now they need to get a bat.

broncofan2438
07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Dodgers should really try and get Halladay.

Tough win by the boys in Blue last night. They really needed that

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Twins made a move to upgrade their middle infield, acquiring shortstop Orlando Cabrera from the Oakland Athletics for the stretch run in the crowded AL Central race.

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2009, 12:53 PM
The Boston Red Sox have agreed to a deal to acquire All-Star slugger Victor Martinez from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for three players.

The Indians would receive right-hander Justin Masterson and minor league pitchers Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price in exchange for Martinez, a catcher/first baseman.

WABronco
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Hmmm. The return Cleveland has got for their two stars....no one really stands out.

And I always laugh at the teams who acquire random bullpen arms. Ya, Joe Beimel will make a difference. Please, someone trade for David Aardsma or Mark Lowe.

WABronco
07-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Uh.

2:56pm: FOX Sports says (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9875596) the Blue Jays will get Edwin Encarnacion and a minor leaguer. Rolen is expected to approve the deal.

Fox Sports is now saying the Reds traded Yonder Alonso along with Encarnacion. Um. Boy I would hate to be a Reds fan.

Jens1893
07-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Padres traded Peavy to the ChiSox

Hogan11
07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Adam LaRoche traded again. This time he goes back to the Braves, for first baseman Casey Kotchman.

Guess the Red Sox didn't think much of his dead bat

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Padres traded Peavy to the ChiSox

CHICAGO -- Jake Peavy has finally agreed to pitch for the Chicago White Sox.

The San Diego Padres traded their ace to the White Sox on Friday, barely beating the deadline to make deals without waivers.

The Padres got four young pitchers for Peavy -- Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, Dexter Carter and Adam Russell.

Drek
07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Adam LaRoche traded again. This time he goes back to the Braves, for first baseman Casey Kotchman.

Cover in case a Victor Martinez or Adrian Gonzalez deal couldn't be struck. Now that they got Martinez they're much better off with a plus defender like Kotchman as opposed to LaRoche's bit more pop.

Kid A
07-31-2009, 04:33 PM
For the amusement of the Mariner fans who warned me about Betancourt, I present the latest of KC sportswriter Joe Posnanski's daily "Yuni Watch":

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/07/31/yuni-watch-731/

Yuniesky Betancourt on Royals:

49 plate appearances
.130 average
.128 on-base percentage
.174 slugging percentage
1 extra base hit
0 walks
2 sac hits
2 grounded into double plays
-20 OPS+

Well, a 1-for-4 day in Baltimore raises the ol’ batting average 11 points. I guess it was a pretty weak hit that should have been barehanded by Melvin Mora, but hey at this point I would never take hits away from Yuni. He’s hit a couple of line drives at people the last couple of days, and frankly I would like to give him credit for those.

And that’s why I look to the advanced fielding statistics. They’re not as good as they could be or will be … I think everyone would agree about that. But they try (and often succeed) and taking an objective look at how effective a player performs defensively. Those numbers say Yuni is a disaster at shortstop. Flawed numbers or not, I would tend to believe those over my lyin’ eyes.

TheChamp24
07-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Hmmm. The return Cleveland has got for their two stars....no one really stands out.

And I always laugh at the teams who acquire random bullpen arms. Ya, Joe Beimel will make a difference. Please, someone trade for David Aardsma or Mark Lowe.

Obviously you don't know the Rockies situation this year. Their bullpen is atrocious, and the only lefty they have in the pen is an inexperienced Franklin Morales. Beimel is a big help for the team.

elsid13
07-31-2009, 05:28 PM

Materson is very good arm that will slip right into 3rd spot in rotation and Nick Hagadone has a chance to be top notch pitcher. I wasn't happy we gave either up for 30 year so-so catcher/1st/DH.

Hogan11
07-31-2009, 05:29 PM
You can never have enough arms in a baseball organization.

WABronco
07-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Materson is very good arm that will slip right into 3rd spot in rotation and Nick Hagadone has a chance to be top notch pitcher. I wasn't happy we gave either up for 30 year so-so catcher/1st/DH.

Ya just seems the bluechip talent is a bit lacking. They, being Cleveland, did get like...8 players over the last few days though or something so at least they'll have depth.

And come on....you still have like 20 amazing prospects in Boston no complaining from you.;D

WABronco
07-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Obviously you don't know the Rockies situation this year. Their bullpen is atrocious, and the only lefty they have in the pen is an inexperienced Franklin Morales. Beimel is a big help for the team.

Obviously.

In general, in my opinion, there are probably 5 million Joe Beimels freely available at any point. You probably gave up nothing to get him, so maybe you got him "freely available."

I just find it funny that teams sign relievers or find themselves having to trade for them when bullpens really aren't that hard to build. Maybe I'm spoiled up here in Seattle, I don't know.

WABronco
07-31-2009, 06:08 PM
For the amusement of the Mariner fans who warned me about Betancourt, I present the latest of KC sportswriter Joe Posnanski's daily "Yuni Watch":

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/07/31/yuni-watch-731/

I said I was sorry...

elsid13
07-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Ya just seems the bluechip talent is a bit lacking. They, being Cleveland, did get like...8 players over the last few days though or something so at least they'll have depth.

And come on....you still have like 20 amazing prospects in Boston no complaining from you.;D

Yeah I know. I just hate giving away young pitching talent. Hagadone (at Single A) is going to very good. If Martinez leaves I think Boston get a 1 round sandwich pick plus one.

WABronco
07-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Jeff Clement 3-4 with 2 bombs in his first game for Pirates AAA. Good luck Jeff.

Hogan11
07-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Jeff Clement 3-4 with 2 bombs in his first game for Pirates AAA. Good luck Jeff.

He keeps that up and he won't be @ AAA for long.

Kid A
07-31-2009, 06:35 PM
I said I was sorry...

Worst part is, as bad as Yuni has been and as much as the trade was criticized, he has really flown under the radar here because 1) the bullpen has been historically awful over the last month, and 2) he's not doing that much worse than a lot of our batters (most notably our designated "hitter" Mike Jacobs who we actually pinch hit for in many games).

TheChamp24
07-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Obviously.

In general, in my opinion, there are probably 5 million Joe Beimels freely available at any point. You probably gave up nothing to get him, so maybe you got him "freely available."

I just find it funny that teams sign relievers or find themselves having to trade for them when bullpens really aren't that hard to build. Maybe I'm spoiled up here in Seattle, I don't know.

There actually isn't that many decent left handed relievers. Why do you think they say that a left handed reliever if he's decent will always have work til he's 40? Because they are in such high demand.
And building a bullpen isn't as easy as it makes, heck you should know, remember back in the mid 90's how awful Seattle's bullpen was? It is difficult to have a consistent, good bullpen year after year.

Requiem
07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
He keeps that up and he won't be @ AAA for long.

We saw a lot of this from Jeff in AAA Tacoma as well, but his consistency was never there in his pro call-ups. I wish him the best though. The damned Pirates are a terrible franchise.

Requiem
07-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh, and Bentancourt getting shipped from Seattle was probably a top fifteen moment for me in the past few months. You know, it's one thing to take a swing at the first pitch because it might be the first one you see, but that guy couldn't draw a walk to save his life. I could do better batting in the MLB than he could. I bet my OBP would be higher. Not joking either.

WABronco
07-31-2009, 08:44 PM
There actually isn't that many decent left handed relievers. Why do you think they say that a left handed reliever if he's decent will always have work til he's 40? Because they are in such high demand.
And building a bullpen isn't as easy as it makes, heck you should know, remember back in the mid 90's how awful Seattle's bullpen was? It is difficult to have a consistent, good bullpen year after year.

Ya that was Bobby Ayala....

All you need to have a good relief corps is either strike throwing not-good-enough-to-be-starters mixed in with live-armed later-inning guys. I didn't mean to point ONLY at Joe Beimel or that one acquisition, just in general. David Aardsma--we got him off the scrap heap for nothing. He's been the best reliever in baseball, arguably.

I laugh more at the Mets signing KRod to a big contract and trading for JJ Putz. I'll gladly watch my team take advantage of others' inability to develop even their own pen.

Kid A
07-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh, and Bentancourt getting shipped from Seattle was probably a top fifteen moment for me in the past few months. You know, it's one thing to take a swing at the first pitch because it might be the first one you see, but that guy couldn't draw a walk to save his life. I could do better batting in the MLB than he could. I bet my OBP would be higher. Not joking either.

The Royals' front office seems to have invested the last couple years in building a lineup with zero plate presence and zero ability to draw walks. With the addition of Yuni they seem to be close to that goal.

broncocalijohn
07-31-2009, 10:23 PM

Kotchman started to heat up his bat as he started to show signs of his 2008 year before he was dealt to the Braves from the Angels. I think he will be used for defensive replacements and to bat with right handed pitcher. He was one of the top hitters vs left handed pitchers when he was with the Angels in 08 so he probably can bat vs any pitcher. Hope he doesnt crush the Angels hopes if we face the Red Sox in the playoffs.

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Cliff Lee with a superb start in his first game in a Philly uniform.

Complete Game, 4 hits, 1 ER, and 6 Ks.

Triplelefthook
08-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Guys,

Is anyone else incredibly concerned with what just happened in baseball this waiver-wire trade deadline???

Either the GMs of teams are intensely reeling from the economy, or they are colluding with other teams or they are just morons.

ALL STAR players are getting traded for dirt. WHY did the Indians trade Victor Martinez?? This is an all star player at the most premium of positions in baseball who was signed for MULTIPLE years at a very affordable price. Why would the Indians trade this guy... for NONE of the Red Sox top prospects??

And then Cliff Lee?? Are you kidding me? The Phillies also traded NOTHING for this guy. none of their top prospects.

Jake Peavy? Also traded for nothing...

Are their any Indians fans here? How do you feel about this? I am hearing that lifelong Indian fans (a loyal bunch) are giving up on this team at this point.

Some of these teams are destroying their teams and they are doing it to such an extreme that it is concerning. Why should teams like this be able to destory their teams and still be able to participate in the revenue sharing that the MLB set up? It wasn't set up to be taken advantage of like this

Hogan11
08-01-2009, 09:15 AM
We saw a lot of this from Jeff in AAA Tacoma as well, but his consistency was never there in his pro call-ups. I wish him the best though. The damned Pirates are a terrible franchise.

Like I said to South earlier, the Pirates are trying to rebuild the entire franchise after years of mismanagement by some of the worst GM's baseball has ever seen. Littlefield, in particular, via his headscratching trades and mind boggling draft selections, left the entire farm system with absolute zero.....I hope for your sake it never happens to the Mariners because it shouldn't happen to any MLB franchise.

That said, I have no problem at all with the deals they've made up to this point. They're weren't winning with Wilson, Sanchez, LaRoche et. al. so why keep them? Better to sell high, restock the farm, draft smart (like the have the past two seasons) and get the entire works back on track. With finally a guy who knows the game in @ GM, they're doing just that...it won't happen overnight, but if all goes well, I'm thinking they compete in 2011 or 12.

Hogan11
08-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Ya that was Bobby Ayala.....

I saw this guy pitch in Montreal after the Expos picked him up and I have to say for the record that he was the absolute worst pitcher I've ever seen. There isn't a person in this thread who couldn't do a better pitching job that what I saw out of Ayala in Montreal and I'm saying that with a completely straight face.

Requiem
08-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Well, I did have some pitching experience until I was 16. I could throw a four seam, curve and change-up. Does that beat Ayala?

Hogan11
08-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, I did have some pitching experience until I was 16. I could throw a four seam, curve and change-up. Does that beat Ayala?

It would in 1999. I looked up his ERA with Montreal and it was 3 something, which is very hard for me to believe because that guy blew several games for the Expos before they gave up on him....he just couldn't find the plate at all.

Hogan11
08-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Andrew McCutchen with three HR's tonight, Bucs are 2-0 since the trades albeit, both wins are against the Nats (I gotta take it when I can get it)

SouthStndJunkie
08-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Andrew McCutchen with three HR's tonight, Bucs are 2-0 since the trades albeit, both wins are against the Nats (I gotta take it when I can get it)

First curtain call of the year at PNC....nice he gave them something to cheer about.

Punisher
08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Cliff Lee with a superb start in his first game in a Philly uniform.

Complete Game, 4 hits, 1 ER, and 6 Ks.

I can't wait to run down board Street again! :)

SouthStndJunkie
08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Nice walk-off HR with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th for Clete Thomas tonight to give the Tigers a 6-5 win over the Orioles tonight.

They were down 5-0 in the first inning.

Taco John
08-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Fantasy guys looking for sleepers that might be of use down the stretch, take a look at Kyle Blanks who is starting to find his groove finally.

Bronco LB52
08-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Fantasy guys looking for sleepers that might be of use down the stretch, take a look at Kyle Blanks who is starting to find his groove finally.

From watching Blanks play in person about 80 times, he has always shown the ability to work the count and put together a good at-bat.

The scary thing about Blanks is that he is still learning how to drive the inside pitch on his hands.

SouthStndJunkie
08-07-2009, 01:15 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Jason Giambi's second stint with the Oakland Athletics didn't pan out as either side had hoped.

On Friday, they parted ways -- most certainly for good this time.

Giambi was released by the A's, cutting short the struggling slugger's return to his first major league club. It's unclear whether he will catch on with another club or whether this could be the end of a 15-year career.

SouthStndJunkie
08-07-2009, 01:15 PM
MINNEAPOLIS -- Craving help for their starting rotation, the Minnesota Twins have turned to Carl Pavano.

The Twins agreed Friday to send the Cleveland Indians a player to be identified later in exchange for Pavano, a one-time All-Star whose career derailed in New York during four injury-ruined seasons with the Yankees.

SouthStndJunkie
08-07-2009, 05:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4384410

Smoltz mulling options after being cut

broncocalijohn
08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4384410

Smoltz mulling options after being cut

one option should be retire. If not, come out of the bullpen to pitch to right handed batters. If they pull for a lefty, then you dont let Smoltz even get one pitch in. He is horrible this year to lefties. Nice to see Boston having some weakness but a 5th starter wont hurt them in the playoffs. Paul Byrd looks like a possible September call up for the stretch run.

TonyR
08-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Epic win by the Yanks last night. A-Rod with a 2 run blast in the 15th inning to win 2-0.

Bronco LB52
08-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Pale Hose fans

Buster Olney is reporting the White Sox are likely the team that put a waiver claim on Blue Jays outfielder Alex Rios.

The Jays have three options.

A) They can pull Rios back off waivers and keep him. (Highly unlikely, but you never know what Riccardi will do)
B) Let the White Sox have Rios for free and have them inherit his $60 million-plus owed on his contract.
C) Work out a trade with the White Sox.

SouthStndJunkie
08-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I was thinking to myself the other day....I wonder if Josh Hamilton is off the wagon, because he just does not look like he did the past few years....and then today these come out:

http://deadspin.com/5332801/the-devil-is-still-in-josh-hamilton/gallery/

Bronco LB52
08-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I was thinking to myself the other day....I wonder if Josh Hamilton is off the wagon, because he just does not look like he did the past few years....and then today these come out:

http://deadspin.com/5332801/the-devil-is-still-in-josh-hamilton/gallery/

I don't see anything wrong with those pictures. Hamilton is just having some fun with some ladies. There's not enough information there to draw any conclusions.

SouthStndJunkie
08-08-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't see anything wrong with those pictures. Hamilton is just having some fun with some ladies. There's not enough information there to draw any conclusions.

Do you know his story and background?

SouthStndJunkie
08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Pujols hits 100 RBIs on the year.

TonyR
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Yanks shut out Red Sox again today behind Sabathia, extending their AL East lead to 5.5, and go for the 4 game sweep tomorrow.

Hogan11
08-08-2009, 10:20 PM
MINNEAPOLIS -- Craving help for their starting rotation, the Minnesota Twins have turned to Carl Pavano.

The Twins agreed Friday to send the Cleveland Indians a player to be identified later in exchange for Pavano, a one-time All-Star whose career derailed in New York during four injury-ruined seasons with the Yankees.

Man, that guy is always injured. When he was in Montreal, he was guarenteed to be on the DL by July 1st at the very latest.

SouthStndJunkie
08-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Man, that guy is always injured. When he was in Montreal, he was guarenteed to be on the DL by July 1st at the very latest.

Pavano has been a Tiger killer this year.

He has looked like the second coming of Walter Johnson against us.

It was the second time in a week that Pavano (10-8) handcuffed the Tigers. Last Sunday, while with the Cleveland Indians, Pavano allowed Detroit only a run on six hits in eight innings in an 11-1 win. He is 4-0 with a 1.48 ERA against the Tigers this season.

Killericon
08-08-2009, 11:02 PM

http://cache-foo-08.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/11/2009/08/504x_jh2.jpg

...You wanna rethink your post?

Bronco LB52
08-09-2009, 01:26 AM
http://cache-foo-08.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/11/2009/08/504x_jh2.jpg

...You wanna rethink your post?

Now if there were rails or needles in that picture, there would be a story.

Carousing with women is nothing to get worked up about. Good for Josh.

Consuming alcohol is legal isn't it? That his choice. I am in no position to judge him on that.

Even though he's an addict, I don't know what the extent of his abuse is. Hamilton and the people around him know his situation better than I do.

WABronco
08-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Ya the whole "spreading my message" thing makes me L O L when you see this stuff...but whatever, hope it's not a problem.

The media is a joke though. Like I can't tell if their somber, sullen mood in covering this "story" is for real or what.

WABronco
08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Washburn rocked again.

Hmmmm...

broncofan2438
08-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Here goes the Dodgers in a slump again. Leaving too many men on base and pitching is rocky

TheChamp24
08-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm thinking, is it out of the possibility that perhaps the Rockies catch the Dodgers for the NL West? 6 back right now, I think a crucial stretch will be when they play 10 straight against the Giants and Dodgers, win 7 of those and they are in GREAT shape.

SouthStndJunkie
08-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Ichiro Suzuki has not gone hitless in consecutive games since Aug. 13-15, 2008. That span of 144 games is the longest such streak in the majors since 1954.

The longest AL streak of not going hitless in consecutive games is 164 by Earl Sheely of the 1923-24 Chicago White Sox.

SouthStndJunkie
08-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Washburn rocked again.

Hmmmm...

I have seen both of his starts as a Tiger and he has gotten hit pretty hard.

The Twins launched a few shots to deep CF for HRs on Washburn today.

BroncoLifer
08-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Tulowitzki with a cycle. Is he the first player in MLB history with both a cycle and an unassisted triple play in his career?

TheChamp24
08-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Wow, Tulo is back to his rookie form. Nice to see. Hawpe is in a slump, but Tulo is picking up the slack.

SouthStndJunkie
08-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Tulowitzki has been kicking ass and getting his stats back to where they should be.

Average is up to .276 with 21 HRs and 60 RBIs.

SouthStndJunkie
08-10-2009, 11:49 PM
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Vladimir Guerrero showed impeccable timing in reaching a milestone.

He homered twice, including the 400th of his career that put the Angels ahead in the seventh inning, and Kendry Morales also hit two homers in an 8-7 win over the Tampa Bay Rays on Monday night.

TheChamp24
08-11-2009, 07:15 AM
It sucks in one of my fantasy leagues its head to head, and I'm going against someone who has Morales and Tulo :(

Oh well, glad to see Tulo's monster game get the Rockies another W. He's showing that 25-30 HR and 100 RBI potential now again.

Peoples Champ
08-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Tulowitzki with a cycle. Is he the first player in MLB history with both a cycle and an unassisted triple play in his career?

According to ESPN he is the 2nd player. I think only player in the NL though.

SouthStndJunkie
08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/64wRPuyeF0w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/64wRPuyeF0w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Taco John
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
What's Youkolis doing? What a moron.

SouthStndJunkie
08-11-2009, 07:45 PM
What's Youkolis doing? What a moron.

Using his helmet as a weapon was a chicken **** move.

That's ok....20 year old Rick Porcello tossed him down anyways.

DBroncos4life
08-11-2009, 09:22 PM
The Dodgers might have been slumping but atleast they are putting a hurting on the Giants.

24champ
08-11-2009, 09:23 PM
The Dodgers might have been slumping but atleast they are putting a hurting on the Giants.

9-1 baby!!! Love kicking the crap out of the Midgets in their own backyard. :~ohyah!:

Natedog24
08-11-2009, 10:04 PM
9-1 baby!!! Love kicking the crap out of the Midgets in their own backyard. :~ohyah!:

Thank God!

F*** the Gnats :sunshine:

TheChamp24
08-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Wonder if Youks will get suspended for thowing the helmet? Maybe only a couple games, but I'd say it is warranted for that.

SouthStndJunkie
08-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Wonder if Youks will get suspended for thowing the helmet? Maybe only a couple games, but I'd say it is warranted for that.

He should be.

Miguel Cabrera was also hit the night before and also Tuesday night before Youkilis was....so it's not like Youkilis was the only player to get hit more than once in this series.

TheChamp24
08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, and did any of you check the Baseball Tonight last night?
John Kruk and Eric Young talked about the protocols of charging the mound, etc.
Kruk said how Porcello should've drifted towards third instead of 1B so Inge could take Youkillis out before he got to the pitcher.
Then EY said how Youkillis never should've thrown his helmet, that was horrible. Then he said if you are going to charge the mound, you gotta throw a punch. That comment made me say to myself "Did he really just say that?"
They cut back to Gammons and Ravich and Ravich says "Did he really just say you gotta throw a punch?" and there was an awkward silence.
That was bad of EY to say that, hope it doesn't hurt him.

broncocalijohn
08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Using his helmet as a weapon was a chicken **** move.

That's ok....20 year old Rick Porcello tossed him down anyways.

Wonder if he learned that toss move by Pedro Martinez on Zimmer? Someone pop that Youtube video on here for comparisons.

TheChamp24
08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Man, I just noticed Clint Barmes is hitting a measley .249 now. Back in the Fredy Sanchez trade discussions, he was hitting a respectable ~.290/.300 to go with a fairly low OBP. Now that he is hitting .249 and his OBP is an awful .300, that isn't pulling much weight now. He's gotta start getting on base again.

kmonty
08-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Crazy. Since the All-Star break, the two major league players with the highest BA are Matt Holliday and Carlos Gonzalez.

Paladin
08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
He hit tonight. 3-5 I think. Double, 2 singles. He is, was swinging well, but the ball was going right to the D players.

Last night, the Rox stunk up the joint and lost ot the Pirates, but came back tonight and Jeminez got a shutout, allowing just three hits. (Morales gave up one in the ninth.)

I noticed the Dudgers lost. Again.....

24champ
08-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I noticed the Dudgers lost. Again.....

Did well considering Dodgers were going up against Linecum, best pitcher in the NL and the Dodgers started Jeff freaking Weaver.

Dodgers won the series, I'll take that anytime vs the hated Midgets.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090812/capt.f624a9a8f20e4ffca21cbfc3c2906f99.dodgers_gian ts_baseball__fxpb106.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Justin Verlander pitched a gem today and the Tigers salvaged a game in their series with Boston....that and it was worth losing a game watching Rick Porcello toss Kevin Youkilis to the ground the other night.

Justin Verlander has to be considered one of the top five starting pitchers in baseball right now.

SouthStndJunkie
08-15-2009, 07:19 PM
My Tigers keep hanging on to first place in the AL Central.

2.5 games up on the White Sux and 6 games up on the Stinkies.

WABronco
08-15-2009, 07:34 PM
side note: pretty sure I could manage the NY Yankees and win 100 games.

Joe Girardi manager of the year though, for sure!

/sarcasm

SouthStndJunkie
08-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Jarrod Washburn finally had a great start for the Tigers on Friday night.

No decision....but he went 8 innings gave up 3 hits 0 ERs 2 BB with 4 Ks.

DBroncos4life
08-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Did anyone see what happened to Kuroda? I hear it was bad.

SouthStndJunkie
08-15-2009, 09:23 PM
The Tigers brought up a rookier catcher, 22 year old Alex Avila, a few weeks ago and he has been kicking ass.

His Dad is the assistant GM of the Tigers.

He has played in 5 games so far and is batting .471 with 4 doubles and 2 HRs with 6 RBIs.

I know it is still early and pitchers have yet to write the book on him, but he has a sweet compact swing and looks to be a really intelligent and patient hitter.

phillybroncosnut
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Phillies need a closer... BADLY! Hopefully they have Myers secretly rehabbing as a closer, or they move Madson from Set-up to closer, or take a flier one John Smoltz.

broncocalijohn
08-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, well, well. If the playoffs started today, the Red Sox are at home. Good for my Angels but the Rangers have owned my team all year. Spetember in the West should be interesting. If Rays can make their run, it might be a nice little Wild card showdown between Rays/Red Sox and Rangers/Angels. I only see one team out of the AL Central taking it between the Tigers/WhiteSox and possibly the Twins.

Taco John
08-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Jarrod Washburn finally had a great start for the Tigers on Friday night.

No decision....but he went 8 innings gave up 3 hits 0 ERs 2 BB with 4 Ks.

I thought about cutting him from my roster, but decided that he'd settle in and do ok once he got past the trade butterflies. I think he'll be ok.

SouthStndJunkie
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
BALTIMORE -- The Detroit Tigers bolstered their offense for a pennant drive by obtaining first baseman Aubrey Huff from the Baltimore Orioles on Monday for a minor leaguer.

SouthStndJunkie
08-17-2009, 09:51 PM
NEW YORK -- Stephen Strasburg and the Washington Nationals just beat the midnight deadline, agreeing on a deal that reportedly makes him the highest paid draft pick ever.

The deal is for four years and $15.67 million, Baseball America reported.

The San Diego State right-hander, being advised by Scott Boras, was selected first by the last-place Nationals and was seeking to set the mark for the most money guaranteed to a drafted player. That's been held since 2001 by pitcher Mark Prior, who received a $10.5 million, five-year contract after he was selected with the second pick, behind Joe Mauer.

Two other Boras clients, center fielder Dustin Ackley, taken No. 2 by Seattle, and shortstop Grant Green, taken No. 13 by Oakland, have also agreed to terms.

Hogan11
08-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Sure the plug has been pulled long ago on the Pirates season, but I still love beating that fat fuching slob Fielder and that bunch of whiners from Mildewtown.

F the Brewers, that is all.

broncocalijohn
08-18-2009, 10:25 AM
BALTIMORE -- The Detroit Tigers bolstered their offense for a pennant drive by obtaining first baseman Aubrey Huff from the Baltimore Orioles on Monday for a minor leaguer.

not a bad deal as Huff brings a ton of RBIs. I have followed him for 5 years now and I have an inkling he was on the roids during the beginning of his career. His HRs are way down from when he started to in Tampa Bay.

SouthStndJunkie
08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Ivan Rodriguez is rejoining the Texas Rangers.

The Rangers have agreed to trade two minor leaguers to the Houston Astros for Rodriguez, who was Texas' catcher the last time the franchise made the playoffs in 1999.

SouthStndJunkie
08-18-2009, 07:17 PM
The Tigers score 4 in the bottom of the 8th inning to come back and beat Seattle 5-3.

Miguel Cabrera with the clutch single up the middle to drive in 2 runs and give the Tigers the lead for good.

King Felix pitched an excellent game tonight, but only went 7 innings.

Rick Porcello also pitched a decent game and struck out a career high 8 batters.

Ichiro is one of my favorite players to watch in the game. He had 4 more hits and is just a tough out. He now has 179 hits on the year....he will probably end up with 240-250 hits.

All in all, a nice comeback and great to get a win any time you face King Felix.

SouthStndJunkie
08-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Now I need KC to beat the White Sox tonight.

SouthStndJunkie
08-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Kansas City beats the White Sox.

The Tigers now lead the division by 3 games.

Bronco LB52
08-19-2009, 01:02 AM
The Rockies are putting together a fabulous core of young players. Carlos Gonzalez has clubbed five home runs in his last seven games. He does it all - field, throw, hit, hit for power and run.

SouthStndJunkie
08-19-2009, 04:06 PM
ST. LOUIS -- John Smoltz agreed to a deal with the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday, giving the 42-year-old former ace a chance to rejuvenate his career in the middle of a pennant race.

Smoltz joined the NL Central leaders shortly after he cleared waivers, following his release by Boston. He was 2-5 with an 8.33 ERA in eight starts for the Red Sox.

General manager John Mozeliak said Smoltz likely would start Sunday at San Diego, and probably would get at least a few turns in the rotation. Mozeliak said Smoltz didn't ask to start as a "negotiating ploy."

SouthStndJunkie
08-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Cliff Lee is 4-0 with an 0.82 ERA since he was traded to Philly.

34 Ks and only 6 walks.

Hogan11
08-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Pirates sweep the hated Brewers, pretty much knocking Milwaukee out of wild-card contention. Take that Fielder! Ha!

SouthStndJunkie
08-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Looking for a veteran bat to help their playoff push, the Colorado Rockies have agreed to a deal with Jason Giambi, according to multiple reports.

Giambi was released by the Oakland Athletics earlier this month after hitting just .193 with 11 home runs and 40 RBIs in 83 games. He reportedly will join Triple-A Colorado Springs to get at-bats and then report to the Rockies on Sept. 1 when rosters are expanded.

broncocalijohn
08-23-2009, 01:00 PM
What a waste of dropping someone off the 40 man roster. Giambi is done and he isnt playing any position that can replace someone worse. He is now delegated to pinch hitting.

spdirty
08-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Carlos Gonzalez last night is the reason why, even though the Rox have me excited again, baseball players are idiots. And pussies. And morons.

When theyre done playing games, you should just wrap em up in bubble wrap, put em in a straight jacket, and lock em in a room with padded walls. I could grab all my knives tight, slide em up an down my hand, and I still wont miss a day of work. God I swear if a baseball player ever decided to change careers and work construction, their life expectancy would probably be about 6 minutes, 23 seconds. Unbelievable.

spdirty
08-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Hell Id be willing to bet that Marshall got the idea to say he tripped on a McDonalds bag from some idiotic incident from a baseball player. Same with Griese and that dog.

SouthStndJunkie
08-23-2009, 05:04 PM
SAN DIEGO -- John Smoltz had a brilliant debut with the St. Louis Cardinals, striking out a season-high nine -- including seven straight -- and holding San Diego to three hits over five scoreless innings in a 5-2 victory Sunday.

Karenin
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
What a waste of dropping someone off the 40 man roster. Giambi is done and he isnt playing any position that can replace someone worse. He is now delegated to pinch hitting.

greg reynolds, who is done for the year anyways is going to be put on the 60 day DL to make room for him. let's not be too dramatic.

broncocalijohn
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
greg reynolds, who is done for the year anyways is going to be put on the 60 day DL to make room for him. let's not be too dramatic.

You still need to make room for him on the 40 man meaning you need to drop somebody off of the 40 man roster. Being put on the DL doesnt take you off of the 40 man roster. Of course Giambi comes cheap since being cut but like I stated, he is no more than a PH.

bombay
08-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Giambi won't be activated until September, right? I seriously doubt they'd ever protect him on the 40 man and he won't bump anyone if he isn't activated in August.

Paladin
08-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Giambi won't be activated until September, right? I seriously doubt they'd ever protect him on the 40 man and he won't bump anyone if he isn't activated in August.

This is correct. He will be assigned to Colorado Springs and be brought up in September when the roster expands. He is only a PH.

But I am not sure this was a great move. I would rather go with who brung us, but having an experienced PH is not all bad.....

I am more interested in who will fill Cook's starts.......

TheChamp24
08-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Carlos Gonzalez last night is the reason why, even though the Rox have me excited again, baseball players are idiots. And pussies. And morons.

When theyre done playing games, you should just wrap em up in bubble wrap, put em in a straight jacket, and lock em in a room with padded walls. I could grab all my knives tight, slide em up an down my hand, and I still wont miss a day of work. God I swear if a baseball player ever decided to change careers and work construction, their life expectancy would probably be about 6 minutes, 23 seconds. Unbelievable.

New flash, your hands are a lot more delicate in baseball. In football, you can play with a broken hand because you don't really need it for most of the positions.
Baseball, a wound requiring a stitch in the palm of the hand, probably causes you to not be able to swing a bat without reopening the wound and causing it to get worse or infected.

WABronco
08-24-2009, 01:52 AM
You still need to make room for him on the 40 man meaning you need to drop somebody off of the 40 man roster. Being put on the DL doesnt take you off of the 40 man roster. Of course Giambi comes cheap since being cut but like I stated, he is no more than a PH.

The 60 day DL does.

SPORTSWRITER
08-24-2009, 04:00 AM
san diego -- john smoltz had a brilliant debut with the st. Louis cardinals, striking out a season-high nine -- including seven straight -- and holding san diego to three hits over five scoreless innings in a 5-2 victory sunday.

go redbirds!!

Paladin
08-24-2009, 08:03 AM
The Yankees have knocked the snot out of the Bahst'n Crimson Footwear. I do believe the Rangers will knock the Bahst'n Cremson Laundry out of the WC. No Playofffs for the Bahst'n team.....

Yankees will win it all........

Karenin
08-24-2009, 08:04 AM
The 60 day DL does.

What he said.

DomCasual
08-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm avoiding threads here about baseball, for the most part. The bad karma terrifies me.

But I'll say a few things, then shut up.

I'll probably never have another personal baseball-fan moment like 2007. It was magical. It's why you follow a team through 65-win season after 65-win season. It's why you watch in June, when you know the only reason you're watching is the joy (and hope!) of seeing a prospect or two start to hit his stride. It's why you NEVER jump on the bandwagon of a team that is winning (ahem, Red Sox Nation _i_O_i_).

All that said, this team is lots better than that team was. This is no 20-game run. These guys are 54-19 since the beginning of June (a run that projects to 119 wins over 162 games). In there are sweeps against Washington and Cincinnati - and Oakland, Milwaukee, Tampa Bay, Seattle, and St. Louis. They're 15-6-1 in series since that time. And the biggest thing, IMO, is that they don't allow themselves to get into losing streaks. They'll come out flat against a team, and maybe lose a game or two. Then, they'll win a couple to at least salvage the series/road trip. This is the first Rockies team that's ever been able to do that.

The one thing I wish they'd do is give Jhoulys Chacin a chance to replace Cook. If they're going to call the kid up, they should give him more than one chance to start. If not that, then let Fogg go every fifth day. PLEASE, don't let a guy like Russ Ortiz do it. But let's not forget how it worked out for Ubaldo and Morales in 2007.

broncocalijohn
08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Rockies might not be playing for the WC but the division. I heard they booed Manny over the weekend at Dodger stadium. Those clowns might be FINALLY coming around. Of course they probably still sleep with their Manny bobblehead doll at night.

Paladin
08-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Say, just what did Manny do for them? Cost a lot of money. Maybe he doesnt' do well without his Magina Meds......

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Cliff Lee wins again for Philly.

5-0 with an 0.68 ERA since the trade.

phillybroncosnut
08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Cliff Lee wins again for Philly.

5-0 with an 0.68 ERA since the trade.

Flat out stud!!!

I can't figure out how it's not gonna be the Cards and Phillies in the NLCS... They are head and shoulders better then anyone in the NL

bombay
08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Flat out stud!!!
I can't figure out how it's not gonna be the Cards and Phillies in the NLCS... They are head and shoulders better then anyone in the NL

I'm a Cardinals fan and they're a much better team since the offensive upgrades midseason, but no team in baseball can match the Rockies 50-22 since June 1. They are no fluke.

watermock
08-24-2009, 04:41 PM
You mean the Arizona Cardinals, right?

The Rockies have a better chance at the playoffs than the Broncos.

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Miguel Cabrera has been on a hitting rampage lately.

He has 2 doubles, a HR, and 5 RBIs so far tonight.

Batting average is up to .342 on the year.

The game before he hit his 200th career HR....and he is only 26 years old.

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Tigers were up 10-0 and have let the Angels back to within 10-7....they better not blow this game.

Broncosfreak_56
08-24-2009, 10:44 PM
WOW Rockies walk off grand slam in the 14th! Amazing game! Takes the Giants series 3-1!

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Tigers win 10-7.

3.5 game lead over the White Sox in the division.

ColoradoBuff
08-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Go ROX!

SpringStein
08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Pitching matchups heavily favor the Dodgers - hope Cook can come back before long. Seeing Fogg's name as the starting P tomorrow does not give me much optimism.

Bronco LB52
08-25-2009, 09:51 AM
This is correct. He will be assigned to Colorado Springs and be brought up in September when the roster expands. He is only a PH.

But I am not sure this was a great move. I would rather go with who brung us, but having an experienced PH is not all bad.....

I am more interested in who will fill Cook's starts.......

I will take a pinch hitter anyday with a career .405 on-base percentage.

broncocalijohn
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
I will take a pinch hitter anyday with a career .405 on-base percentage.

LOL! Come on dude and join us in the season of 2009 w/o steroids. Dude is done. There is a reason why A's cut the stiff. They tried to trade him before the deadline and nobody wanted him.

Bronco LB52
08-25-2009, 01:31 PM
LOL! Come on dude and join us in the season of 2009 w/o steroids. Dude is done. There is a reason why A's cut the stiff. They tried to trade him before the deadline and nobody wanted him.

Giambi is done, but he still brings value as a pinch hitter. He drew 50 walks in 269 at-bats this year. If your team is losing by a run or two in the ninth, all you need is a guy to get on-base to start a rally. Giambi has proven he can still reach base at an average rate (.333 OBP). Once he gets on, use Eric Young, Jr. to pinch run for him. That's what the deep 40-man rosters are there for.

You are being extremely naive if you think steroids are out of baseball. Players might not be shooting up horse steroids on a daily basis, but they are still using them. They are just more careful and discreet with their usage.

BTW, the MLB drug policy is a farce. Complete PR bull****. It's whitewash to appease the public. If you don't believe me, go read their policy which can be found online.

broncofan2438
08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Gonna be a great series out there is Colorado. Dodgers have to find a way to get the bats going

24champ
08-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Dodgers have to find a way to get the bats going

With the way the Rockies pitched vs the low powered Midgets. I don't think that will be a problem.

bombay
08-25-2009, 02:17 PM
the dodgers have really gone in the tank since ramirez came back from his steroid suspension devoid of power. I think the Rocks take at least two of three regardless of pitching matchups. They've gotten a lot from what looked like a cobbled together group of starters all season.

Dukes
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
If the Rocks take 2 of 3 I'll be happy.

bombay
08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Cardinals shut out Houston 1-0, and Wainwright becomes the NL's first 15 game winner. scrubs get hammered at home by washington, so the Cardinals are 9 games ahead.

bombay
08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
la loses one of the games they were supposed to win because of pitching matchups.

Rockies now down 2 after being 15.5 back in June.

Paladin
08-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Pitching match ups are really sort of a fantasy. A lot more important to have defense and timely hits.

So. How do the LA "fans" explain their tanking team and the resurgance of the Rockies?

SouthStndJunkie
08-25-2009, 10:32 PM
The Tigers beat the Angels 5-3 and now have a 4.5 game lead in the division over the White Sox and the Twins.

The Angels are a tough team....what a solid lineup full of .300 hitters.

broncocalijohn
08-25-2009, 11:37 PM
The Tigers beat the Angels 5-3 and now have a 4.5 game lead in the division over the White Sox and the Twins.

The Angels are a tough team....what a solid lineup full of .300 hitters.

Yes, but Rodney is looking nothing like himself last few times we have faced him. Great pitching range. Detroit had good defense tonight and some help from Vlady swingning at a 1 and 0 count after Hunter was walked. Past ball gets a hesitant Abreau at home also with bases loaded and count 3 and 2. Well, I will be there tomorrow to pray that Saunders DL stint has helped him rest and stop sucking.

broncocalijohn
08-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Giambi is done, but he still brings value as a pinch hitter. He drew 50 walks in 269 at-bats this year. If your team is losing by a run or two in the ninth, all you need is a guy to get on-base to start a rally. Giambi has proven he can still reach base at an average rate (.333 OBP). Once he gets on, use Eric Young, Jr. to pinch run for him. That's what the deep 40-man rosters are there for.

You are being extremely naive if you think steroids are out of baseball. Players might not be shooting up horse steroids on a daily basis, but they are still using them. They are just more careful and discreet with their usage.

BTW, the MLB drug policy is a farce. Complete PR bull****. It's whitewash to appease the public. If you don't believe me, go read their policy which can be found online.

thanks for going way off topic but with your logic, does this mean Giambi sucks while still doing steroids? Let those use the steroids than get caught.

bombay
08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Cardinals win again, 3-2 over Houston as Pineiro beats Oswalt. They've won the last 10 games that Pineiro started, and 21 of 27

SouthStndJunkie
08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Yes, but Rodney is looking nothing like himself last few times we have faced him. Great pitching range. Detroit had good defense tonight and some help from Vlady swingning at a 1 and 0 count after Hunter was walked. Past ball gets a hesitant Abreau at home also with bases loaded and count 3 and 2. Well, I will be there tomorrow to pray that Saunders DL stint has helped him rest and stop sucking.

Yep....the Tigers got lucky with the Abreau play at the plate.

At that point, Zach Miner was having trouble hitting the broadside of a barn.

At least the Angels won today for you....hope you had fun at the game.

The White Sux and Twins both lose....division lead still at 4.5 games.

bombay
08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Cardinals up 3-2 after 7 behind Carpenter, who's trying to move his record to 15-3. He may get some Cy Young votes.

Rocks tie la after 3, 2-2.

bombay
08-27-2009, 01:24 PM
My friend called earlier to tell me this:

His wife had called earlier today to tell him his brother's wife was having a baby and they were on their way to the hospital.

He texted his brother, 'what's going on?'

Brother texts back, 'Cards r down 2-1.'

TheChamp24
08-27-2009, 01:57 PM
My friend called earlier to tell me this:

His wife had called earlier today to tell him his brother's wife was having a baby and they were on their way to the hospital.

He texted his brother, 'what's going on?'

Brother texts back, 'Cards r down 2-1.'

God bless that man.

DomCasual
08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
"Jack and Kathy have just been told that Ford has quality that can't be beat by Honda and Toyota..."

bombay
08-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Houston rallies late to beat the Cardinals, 4-3.

DBroncos4life
08-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Dodgers win! It was a big series for us to get a little more wiggle room. Should be a close race.

Bronco LB52
08-28-2009, 10:58 PM
broncocalijohn

What do you think of your Halos acquiring Scott Kazmir? I like the move. He's unhittable when he's on and healthy. Plus, the Angels have the option of holding his rights for three more years for $33.5 million. Not a bad price tag.

He didn't come cheap though. Alex Torres was a good young lefty they parted with that I think will fare well as a No. 3 starter or a tough setup man out of the pen. Matt Sweeney has shown good pop for a corner infielder in his young career.

broncocalijohn
08-29-2009, 01:30 AM
I dont mind getting rid of Sweeney but Torres has been a favorite to those that watch the going ons with the minor leagues. A player to be named later might be based on his performance and not sure when the Rays have to select the third player. As for Kazmir, I didnt want him before the deadline based on his horrible downturn from previous years. I was going for Halladay all the way. Now that it came in as a sneak attack, I am liking it more. Bell and O Sullivan have shown now that they are not ready for prime time. Very young players and still need to develop in AAA and some role for September. We fans dont know what will happen with Lackey testing free agency. We need help now as we have 2 days off only for a long time. Saunders looked good coming back from the DL and Santana throwing a lot better helps the rotation. Kazmir is doing much better lately and Butcher, the pitching coach, worked with him while he was in Tampa Bay during his all star year season so Butcher knows him and can fix whatever mechanics he had messed up. If he works out, we have a good pitcher for a few years and not a rental. Too bad he isnt qualified right now for the playoffs. Angels back up to 5 games on the Rangers.

Bronco LB52
08-29-2009, 12:42 PM
That's great to hear Kazmir is reuniting with his old pitching coach. I didn't know Butcher had worked with him before.

Torres is a strikeout pitcher who generates a lot of ground ball outs. That's a great combination for success. He just needs to cut down on his walks, his one glaring weakness.

Outside of doing something bonehead (i.e. Larry Andersen for Jeff Bagwell, Scott Kazimir for Victor Zambrano), I applaud contenders for taking a chance and making a run for it all. You should be stoked.

SouthStndJunkie
08-30-2009, 12:55 PM
DETROIT -- Placido Polanco hit a three-run homer with two outs in the eighth inning, lifting the Detroit Tigers to a 4-3 win over the Tampa Bay Rays on Sunday.

Third baseman Brandon Inge sealed the victory, leaping to snag B.J. Upton's high hopper down the line with a runner on first and throwing across the diamond for the final out.

Justin Verlander (15-7) gave up three runs, six hits and four walks over eight innings and struck out four, matching a season low. Fernando Rodney pitched the ninth for his 29th save in 30 chances.

Man-Goblin
08-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Grand slam. Son of a bitch.

DBroncos4life
08-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Dodgers lose but they picked up Jim Thome and Jon Garland

Bronco LB52
08-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Dodgers lose but they picked up Jim Thome and Jon Garland

And the Rockies traded for Jose Contreras, while the Giants signed Brad Penny.

SoCalBronco
08-31-2009, 11:57 PM
And the Rockies traded for Jose Contreras, while the Giants signed Brad Penny.

Wow....I didn't think any team would be dumb enough to take Contreras off our hands.

24champ
09-01-2009, 12:02 AM
they picked up Jim Thome and Jon Garland

Me likey.

DBroncos4life
09-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Loney has really struggled this year but I doubt Thome can take his place at 1st.

Bronco LB52
09-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Wow....I didn't think any team would be dumb enough to take Contreras off our hands.

They gave up a decent pitching prospect, too - Brandon Hynick. He put up some solid numbers as a starter in Colorado Springs this season.

24champ
09-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Loney has really struggled this year but I doubt Thome can take his place at 1st.

Probably will split time. Thome will be really handy in the WS as the DH.:~ohyah!:

SouthStndJunkie
09-01-2009, 07:44 AM
After watching Jarrod Washburn pitch 6 starts with the Tigers, I can't fathom how he had a 2.64 ERA with the Mariners all year.

He looks like he is throwing batting practice.

Washburn is not getting nickle and dimed either....he is getting tattered.

6.81 ERA in 6 starts with the Tigers and he has given up 11 home runs.

Taco John
09-01-2009, 08:44 AM
After watching Jarrod Washburn pitch 6 starts with the Tigers, I can't fathom how he had a 2.64 ERA with the Mariners all year.

He looks like he is throwing batting practice.

Washburn is not getting nickle and dimed either....he is getting tattered.

6.81 ERA in 6 starts with the Tigers and he has given up 11 home runs.

Mariners fans knew that this would happen. We were pretty puckered up right around the trade deadline hoping that we could get something for him while his value was at an all time high.

SouthStndJunkie
09-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Mariners fans knew that this would happen. We were pretty puckered up right around the trade deadline hoping that we could get something for him while his value was at an all time high.

At least the Tigers did not give up a ton to get him.

Washburn and Aubrey Huff have both sucked since being traded to the Tigers.

Huff is hitting .088 in 34 at-bats since the trade with 1 extra base hit and 1 RBI.

WolfpackGuy
09-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Washburn and Aubrey Huff have both sucked since being traded to the Tigers.

Huff is hitting .088 in 34 at-bats since the trade with 1 extra base hit and 1 RBI.

Huff has always sucked.

Bronco LB52
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Huff has always sucked.

That's a crock. Huff has two 30+ plus home run seasons and four seasons with 100 RBI or more. He's won a Silver Slugger award and received votes in the MVP voting twice.

Bronco LB52
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
SouthStndJunkie

Are you excited to see Wilkin Ramirez during roster expansion?

WolfpackGuy
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
That's a crock. Huff has two 30+ plus home run seasons and four seasons with 100 RBI or more. He's won a Silver Slugger award and received votes in the MVP voting twice.

Too bad hardly anyone was there to see it or care for that matter.
I've just never been all that impressed by him.

WABronco
09-01-2009, 09:58 PM
So I was perusing some minor league boxscores and noticed a name, then thought to myself, "lol mustn't be a tad awkward to be Coby Clemens?"

SouthStndJunkie
09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Huff has always sucked.

As soon as I post that about Huff, he goes 2-2 with a double, 3 RBIs, and 2 walks tonight.

Huff needed that and so did the Tigers.

SouthStndJunkie
09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
SouthStndJunkie

Are you excited to see Wilkin Ramirez during roster expansion?

Ramirez has had a few cups of coffee with the Tigers this year....but I would like to see him get some more ABs than the 6 he has so far this year.

He has a lot of power and speed and strikes out a lot....I just hope he does not come up and find himself over-matched and strike out all the time. He certainly has the athletic tools to succeed. Kind of puts me in mind a little of Juan Encarnacion.

Bronco LB52
09-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Ramirez has had a few cups of coffee with the Tigers this year....but I would like to see him get some more ABs than the 6 he has so far this year.

He has a lot of power and speed and strikes out a lot....I just hope does not come up and find himself over-matched and strike out all the time. He certainly has the athletic tools to succeed. Kind of puts me in mind a little of Juan Encarnacion.

Encarnacion is a good comp in terms of his physical package.

You are right. He's never going to win batting titles, but it would be nice if he could pull his average up to .260-to-.270 range. He's far from a sure thing, but he has the ceiling to be a 25 HR/35 SB star if he puts it together.

SouthStndJunkie
09-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Encarnacion is a good comp in terms of his physical package.

You are right. He's never going to win batting titles, but it would be nice if he could pull his average up to .260-to-.270 range. He's far from a sure thing, but he has the ceiling to be a 25 HR/35 SB star if he puts it together.

He certainly is an intriguing prospect....maybe he lights it up.

The Tigers could use the offense.

24champ
09-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Good guys beat the Dbags 4-3.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/55/fullj.1678e77add42f18c46e63cfa78bfb402/1678e77add42f18c46e63cfa78bfb402-getty-85131380jg022_arizona_diamo.jpg

broncocalijohn
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Too bad hardly anyone was there to see it or care for that matter.
I've just never been all that impressed by him.

who cares if no one saw him while in TB. You said he always sucked which is way off the mark. Even this year he has a good number of RBIs. Nobody saw Vlady in Montreal but that never meant he sucked. Your personal dislike for him doesnt equate to sucking. Now in Detroit, so far you have a point. I am beginning to think he started his career on steroids. His numbers in the first few seasons were great. Tailed off tremendously from there.

bombay
09-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Cardinals keep rolling. Oddly, they've won 11 consecutive games when Joel Pineiro started.

WABronco
09-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Cool story from Pittsburgh

http://deadspin.com/5351144/pirate-fans-record-first-save-of-the-year

A grandfather visiting PNC Park last week had a heart attack in the stands, but was saved when the fan sitting behind him turned out to be a trauma surgeon who managed to bring him back to life.

Charles Trimble, who happens to be a Reds fan, took his wife and 4-year-old grandson to see Cincinnati at Pittsburgh on August 23. He had seats, but scalped tickets so he could trade up to the club level—probably not that hard to do in Pittsburgh—and ended up seated near Dr. Christopher Post of Allegheny General Hospital. When Trimble turned white and slumped over, Post leapt into action, signaling Pirates staff who quickly grabbed the team's portable defibrillator. With the help of an EMT and a nurse who were also seated nearby, this rag tag group of medical heroes saved Trimble's life and got him to a hospital alive, where he made full recovery. The survival rate of someone whose heart stops outside of a hospital is less than 10%, so yeah, he's pretty freaking lucky.

The Pirates lost the game, natch.

SouthStndJunkie
09-02-2009, 03:49 PM
The White Sox did the Tigers a favor and knocked off the Twins today.

DBroncos4life
09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Brad Penny goes 8 shutout innings vs the Phillies for the win. First Smoltz now Penny.

SouthStndJunkie
09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Tigers win 4-2 over the Indians.

20 year old Rick Porcello with another solid outing.

4.5 games up on the Twins and 7.0 games up on the White Sux.

It would be the first division title for the Tigers since 1987....and their first Central Division title.

SouthStndJunkie
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Tigers beat the Indians 4-3 this afternoon.

They now have a 5.0 game lead on the Twins in the division.

Kick ass.

SouthStndJunkie
09-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Pedro Martinez with a great outing tonight:

7 innings 5 hits 1 ER 0 BB 9 Ks

3-0 on the year with a 3.52 ERA.

SouthStndJunkie
09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4444976

Hall of Famer Harwell has cancer

Ernie Harwell, the 91-year-old Hall of Fame broadcaster for the Detroit Tigers, said Friday that he has inoperable cancer.

The 91-year-old Harwell, who was in the Tigers' broadcast booth from 1960 until he retired in 2002, remains upbeat after an inoperable tumor was found in the area of the bile duct.

"We don't know how long this lasts," Harwell said according to the Detriot Free Press, which first reported Harwell's illness. "It could be a year, it could be much less than a year, much less than a half a year. Who knows? Whatever's in store, I'm ready for a new adventure. That's the way I look at it."

Harwell told The Associated Press he knows he may go through some painful days, but is in good spirits and appreciates the good wishes he's received from hundreds of fans.

Hogan11
09-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Garrett Jones becomes a canadate for NL ROY in just 55 games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09247/995481-63.stm

SouthStndJunkie
09-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Justin Verlander better be getting some Cy Young consideration this year.

8 innings, 4 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 Ks tonight.

16-7 with a 3.29 ERA and an AL leading 222 Ks.

More importantly....the Tigers now lead the Twins by 6 games and the White Sux by 7 games in the division.

JCMElway
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I know Sthstnd, Verlander has been greatness this year.

Six games in first with 28 left to play. This may be the first time all year I've been very optimistic about Detroit's chances.

SouthStndJunkie
09-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I know Sthstnd, Verlander has been greatness this year.

Six games in first with 28 left to play. This may be the first time all year I've been very optimistic about Detroit's chances.

It is looking pretty good right now....the Tigers are on a roll.

However....we still have 6 games left versus the Twins....so we need to keep some distance between us and them.

Taco John
09-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Garrett Jones becomes a canadate for NL ROY in just 55 games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09247/995481-63.stm

That's just incredible.

WABronco
09-05-2009, 10:56 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/09/03/2009802529.jpg

Don Wakamatsu is the man!

bombay
09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Cards keep rolling, and Wainwright wins his 17th, although it wasn't pretty. 14-7

Hogan11
09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
That's just incredible.

They're already calling him "The Legend".

I can't wait to see what he can do with an entire season in the bigs 8')

Taco John
09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
They're already calling him "The Legend".

I can't wait to see what he can do with an entire season in the bigs 8')

He's putting me on a decision in my keeper league between Cliff Lee, Justin Upton, Garrett Jones. I can only keep two of these three.

My other keepers will include:

Pablo Sandoval
Albert Pujols
Ichiro Suzuki
Tim Lincecum.

Hogan11
09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
He's putting me on a decision in my keeper league between Cliff Lee, Justin Upton, Garrett Jones. I can only keep two of these three.

Pablo Sandoval
Albert Pujols
Ichiro Suzuki
Tim Lincecum.

I dunno I-Man.....then again, I'm biased, so there ya go ;)

TheChamp24
09-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Justin Verlander better be getting some Cy Young consideration this year.

8 innings, 4 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 Ks tonight.

16-7 with a 3.29 ERA and an AL leading 222 Ks.

More importantly....the Tigers now lead the Twins by 6 games and the White Sux by 7 games in the division.

Verlander has been good, but Felix or Grienke have the CY IMO. Grienke probably won't because wins are too highly looked at for pitchers in CY consideration. I really think he should be the winner, and think he could if he has a good September.

Pablo Sandoval
Albert Pujols
Ichiro Suzuki
Tim Lincecum.

If you don't put Upton as a keeper, you are a moron. Kid is only 22 and is capable of having 30-30 years hitting over .300.
Now Garrett Jones it is extremely hard to say he should be a keeper after only half a year of play like this, when he showed he couldn't hit a lick earlier in his career.
I'd venture to keep Lee and Upton at this point.

SouthStndJunkie
09-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Tigers win their 5th straight game with an 8-6 win over Tampa Bay on the road.

This team just keeps surprising me down the stretch.

6 game lead over the Twins and 7 game lead on the White Sox with 27 games left.

Taco John
09-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Verlander has been good, but Felix or Grienke have the CY IMO. Grienke probably won't because wins are too highly looked at for pitchers in CY consideration. I really think he should be the winner, and think he could if he has a good September.

If you don't put Upton as a keeper, you are a moron. Kid is only 22 and is capable of having 30-30 years hitting over .300.
Now Garrett Jones it is extremely hard to say he should be a keeper after only half a year of play like this, when he showed he couldn't hit a lick earlier in his career.
I'd venture to keep Lee and Upton at this point.

Not to argue with you because I like Upton, but if he was the consistent hitter you say he's shown himself to be, it wouldn't even be a question. He's had a great season (his best yet), but the highest he's hit up to this season has been .250. Like Garrett Jones, up to this season he hasn't "hit a lick earlier in his career."

Kid A
09-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Greinke gave up 1 run on 8 hits in 8 innings...and got a no decision. And that's like the fifth time that's happened this year. Has there every been a greater disparity between an individual season performance and the rest of the team?

He leads the league in era (2.22), and in his last three games he has 1) pitched a franchise record 15 SO game, 2) thrown a complete game 1 hitter, 3) thrown an eight inning 1 ER game.

If he were on a middle-of-the-road team he'd probably be a lock for a Cy Young. As is, he has to overcome by far the worst run support of any top pitcher in the game.

bombay
09-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Cards start their getaway day lineup against Pittsburgh and start a AAA callup named Boggs. They struggle through 9 tied 1-1, then let Pujols pinch hit in the 10th. He hits it over the center field wall and they win 2-1.

broncocalijohn
09-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Greinke gave up 1 run on 8 hits in 8 innings...and got a no decision. And that's like the fifth time that's happened this year. Has there every been a greater disparity between an individual season performance and the rest of the team?

He leads the league in era (2.22), and in his last three games he has 1) pitched a franchise record 15 SO game, 2) thrown a complete game 1 hitter, 3) thrown an eight inning 1 ER game.

If he were on a middle-of-the-road team he'd probably be a lock for a Cy Young. As is, he has to overcome by far the worst run support of any top pitcher in the game.

Yes, Steve Carlton was on one horrible Phillies team when he won 25 (maybe less) while the team had over 100 losses. Greinke should be thought of as a CY award winner. He has the ERA and the Strikouts to match any other player. He always does his part. He gave up the run but was unearned and last time he faced the Angels, he lost to Joe Saunders 1 to 0. Glad my Angels pulled it out and the Rangers lost again. Angels havent been scoring much but pitching has been awesome last 7 games in a row.

broncocalijohn
09-05-2009, 09:28 PM

Well, twice now Giambi has won the game for the Rox. I am here to say so far I have been way off. If the Rox win the Wild Card by 2 games, then picking him up has been well worth it.

bombay
09-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes, Steve Carlton was on one horrible Phillies team when he won 25 (maybe less) while the team had over 100 losses. Greinke should be thought of as a CY award winner. He has the ERA and the Strikouts to match any other player. He always does his part. He gave up the run but was unearned and last time he faced the Angels, he lost to Joe Saunders 1 to 0. Glad my Angels pulled it out and the Rangers lost again. Angels havent been scoring much but pitching has been awesome last 7 games in a row.

Carlton actually won 27 that season on a 54 win team.

EDIT: oops. He was 27-10 on a 59 win team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/1972.shtml

TheChamp24
09-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Not to argue with you because I like Upton, but if he was the consistent hitter you say he's shown himself to be, it wouldn't even be a question. He's had a great season (his best yet), but the highest he's hit up to this season has been .250. Like Garrett Jones, up to this season he hasn't "hit a lick earlier in his career."

Like I said, Upton is only 22 and going to get better. Jones is 28/29 and is at his peak most likely.

Hogan11
09-05-2009, 11:58 PM
The Pirates are making history this weekend, both good and bad.

Everyone knows that they'll be the first team in professional sports to have 17 straight losing seasons (and you people are worried over having one pffft)....so yeah, I got that.

Even with that hanging over their heads, Ross Ohlendorf struck out a career-high 11 last night at PNC Park, including striking out all three St. Louis batters on the minimum nine pitches in the seventh inning. What's the big deal you ask? Well, It was only the 43rd time in Major League Baseball history that that has happened.

Believe it or don't.

Taco John
09-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Like I said, Upton is only 22 and going to get better. Jones is 28/29 and is at his peak most likely.

There's no doubt that I don't like the idea of parting with Upton. I just also don't like the idea of parting with Garrett Jones at his peak (most likely).

SouthStndJunkie
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Ichiro Suzuki lined the second pitch of Seattle's game at Oakland down the right-field line for a double and his 2,000th career hit.

Even before the ball fell untouched Sunday, fans stood to cheer the Japanese baseball icon.

Suzuki, who had 1,278 hits in Japan, became the second fastest to 2,000 hits, recording it in 1,402 major league games with the Mariners. Al Simmons did it in 1,390 games.

Suzuki, the 259th player to reach the milestone, needs five hits for his ninth consecutive 200-hit season, which would break the record he currently shares with Willie Keeler for consecutive years with as many hits.

SouthStndJunkie
09-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Tigers sweep Tampa Bay.

Brandon Inge hit a grand slam in the top of the 9th to give the Tigers the lead.

They now lead the division by 7 games.

I believe in this team, as flawed as they are. I don't know if they can win it all....but they have heart and don't quit and I enjoy watching teams like that.

bombay
09-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Franklin blows a save in the bottom of the 9th and the Pirates take out the Cards.

RhymesayersDU
09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Come on Brewers, give us a little help and win this one in extras.

SpringStein
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Come on Brewers, give us a little help and win this one in extras.

:) Prince just answered with a game ending HR!

RhymesayersDU
09-06-2009, 03:09 PM
:) Prince just answered with a game ending HR!

Yes!

Anyways, I wonder when the last time somebody had a 3-HR day yet had his team get completely destroyed as well. Chris Young has all three of the D'Backs' runs and they are getting destroyed @ Coors today. Weird game.

bombay
09-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Cardinals won yesterday behind Carpenter's one hitter, Carpenter moves to 16-3. Cards and la are now tied for the leagues best record, while Philly is fading behind awful relief pitching.

elsid13
09-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey why was this moved? I thought the tradition is to have one the other general sport thread in the main forum.

SouthStndJunkie
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
WTF.....the General Baseball Thread always stay on the main page.

SouthStndJunkie
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I will PM Taco.

RhymesayersDU
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
So Lincecum was scratched today with back inflamation. They better pray that's not serious. Talk about an injury that could effect the NL Wildcard in a major way.

spdirty
09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Congrats again to Little EY, hit his first career home run in what is right now a 1 run ball game.

Man-Goblin
09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
EY Jr. with his first big league HR tonight.

bombay
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Holliday with a two run jack in the top of the 9th, the Cardinals come from behind to beat Milwaukee 4-3.

SouthStndJunkie
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Tigers win streak ends at 6 games....but the Twins and White Sux also lose.

Tigers -
Twins 6.5
White Sux 7.5

SouthStndJunkie
09-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Holliday with a two run jack in the top of the 9th, the Cardinals come from behind to beat Milwaukee 4-3.

If Holliday was smart, he would re-sign with the Cardinals after the season.

He could do some serious damage every year batting behind Pujols.

Plus, St. Louis is a heck of a baseball town.

bombay
09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
If Holliday was smart, he would re-sign with the Cardinals after the season.

He could do some serious damage every year batting behind Pujols.

Plus, St. Louis is a heck of a baseball town.

Can't disagree with that, but he's a Boras client. If he stays for less than he can get in NY or Boston, it'll be against the wishes of his agent. And probably the union. He's hit better in st louis than he's hit anywhere else, including Coors. Small sample, but over a half season now including his time there as a Rockie.

SouthStndJunkie
09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
As a stat fan, it is fun to look at Albert Pujols stats every year.

.328 (6th in majors) with 45 HRs (1st in majors) and 121 RBIs (2nd in majors) .449 OBP (1st in majors) .687 slugging% (1st in majors) 1.136 OPS (1st in majors) with a 104 walk to 56 k ratio and toss in 14 stolen bases....that is pretty incredible.

SouthStndJunkie
09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Can't disagree with that, but he's a Boras client. If he stays for less than he can get in NY or Boston, it'll be against the wishes of his agent. And probably the union. He's hit better in st louis than he's hit anywhere else, including Coors. Small sample, but over a half season now including his time there as a Rockie.

I agree....Boras will have him chasing the highest dollar amount.

Bronco LB52
09-09-2009, 12:36 AM
There's no doubt that I don't like the idea of parting with Upton. I just also don't like the idea of parting with Garrett Jones at his peak (most likely).

Upton is a young Frank Robinson or Dave Winfield. Keep him.

In the past 10 years, nobody who entered pro ball out of the high school ranks had more talent and upside. Joe Mauer was the only HS prospect during that time span that was even remotely close to his ability.

Bronco LB52
09-09-2009, 12:38 AM
So Lincecum was scratched today with back inflamation. They better pray that's not serious. Talk about an injury that could effect the NL Wildcard in a major way.

The Giants called up Madison Bumgarner, the top pitching prospect in the minors, to take his place.

worm
09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Great baseball coming up this week in the NL West.

Starting Friday, the Giants are playing the Dodgers and Rockies the next nine games

I see 7-2 for the G-men and a Broncos win this week. Woot!!

Oh...and as long as I am wishing...I want a pony.