PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2009

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

broncocalijohn
07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Well, it is time to put Chone Figgins into the Final Vote for the All Star Game at http://mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2009/ . SSJ might say Inge should get it (actually Lind of the Blue Jays is having a great year as all 3 are playing 3rd base), but this game is in a NL ballpark and you need a guy like Figgins who has played 3rd, 2nd, SS and outfield positions in his career. Add to it that he is the leaders of BA, hits, runs and SB and is a standout this year with the glove. Inge is beating him in HRs only. I only see the guy from Arizona or Kemp of the Dodgers as a chance for the last pick in the NL. Do the right thing and get Figgins on the squad. Great leadoff hitter, great glove and he is exciting to watch.

SouthStndJunkie
07-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, it is time to put Chone Figgins into the Final Vote for the All Star Game at http://mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2009/ . SSJ might say Inge should get it (actually Lind of the Blue Jays is having a great year as all 3 are playing 3rd base), but this game is in a NL ballpark and you need a guy like Figgins who has played 3rd, 2nd, SS and outfield positions in his career. Add to it that he is the leaders of BA, hits, runs and SB and is a standout this year with the glove. Inge is beating him in HRs only. I only see the guy from Arizona or Kemp of the Dodgers as a chance for the last pick in the NL. Do the right thing and get Figgins on the squad. Great leadoff hitter, great glove and he is exciting to watch.

Inge and Figgins are both deserving. You said Inge was only beating him in HRs....but he is also beating him in RBIs.

I have cast a good 100 votes for Inge so far....but if he can't make it, I would like to see Figgins in his place.

TheChamp24
07-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Kemp should be going in the NL. He should already be on the squad, but whatever. I'd take him over Pence every day. Sad thing is, I think Sandoval and Reynolds also deserve to go but probably won't. Actually, Reynolds might make it because he has the flashier stats.
As for the AL, Inge is the better power/RBI man, but Figgins should get in ahead of him. Inge is having a good year, but not All Star worthy. I'm just praying Kinsler doesn't get in because he has some of the worst Home-Away splits I have ever seen a hitter have. Take a look at them.

TonyR
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Blue Jays will listen to Halladay offers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4311661

broncocalijohn
07-07-2009, 02:35 PM

if i lived in the toronto area, i would make it a point to go to games Halladay is pitching. He is the reason people know about the Blue Jays right now and they are a good all around team. That is their identity so if they trade him, they better get household name(s) to replace him. I would love him on the Angels but the price will be top 5.

broncocalijohn
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Inge and Figgins are both deserving. You said Inge was only beating him in HRs....but he is also beating him in RBIs.

I have cast a good 100 votes for Inge so far....but if he can't make it, I would like to see Figgins in his place.

yes, RBIs but when you are lead off hitter, tough to get rbis especially if Kendrick and Mathis are batting 8th and 9th! I will see your 100 and try to x them out by voting somemore. It could have been a truce but you had to push it.:twokisses

SouthStndJunkie
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
yes, RBIs but when you are lead off hitter, tough to get rbis especially if Kendrick and Mathis are batting 8th and 9th! I will see your 100 and try to x them out by voting somemore. It could have been a truce but you had to push it.:twokisses

If you get to count runs (from a lead off hitter), I get to count RBIs.

Besides, Chone is far back. Last I heard Ian Kinsler was 1st in the voting and Inge was running 2nd.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Not that it'll happen, but it would be cool to see the Colorado boy come home.

Taco John
07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
A big THANK YOU to my pal Hogan on the Garrett Jones tip. I picked him up and started him immediately after a quick examination, and in three days of ball he's delivering 4/11 that includes a double, two stolen bases, a walk and a .364 average.

Here's hoping for more where that came from!

Hogan11
07-08-2009, 07:01 PM
A big THANK YOU to my pal Hogan on the Garrett Jones tip. I picked him up and started him immediately after a quick examination, and in three days of ball he's delivering 4/11 that includes a double, two stolen bases, a walk and a .364 average.

Hey, I'm here to help :~ohyah!:

The Pirates have a ton of guys like this, the problem is they can't all jell at the same time. Ryan Doumit is close to returning, if you can get him on the cheap...do it.

Taco John
07-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Just when the Mariners get my hopes up, they find a way to rip out my heart... *sigh*

SouthStndJunkie
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
DETROIT -- Brandon Inge will be meeting his Tiger All-Star teammates in St. Louis after all. Detroit's third baseman won a close All-Star Final Vote over Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler to capture the final spot on the American League roster for next Tuesday's Midsummer Classic.

I am happy for Brandon Inge....I knew the fans would vote for him in droves, as he is probably the fan favorite of all Tiger players.

Hogan11
07-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Word is, the Pirates FO is pushing hard to trade Freddy Sanchez before the All Star Game. The Giants & Rockies are said to be interested, but a strong 2B prospect would be a must in return since the Bucs have no one up and coming to fill the vacancy. I like Freddy, but the fact is that he is oft-injured, 31 years old and his contract is a problem....if they can get a team to overpay, they should definitely pull the trigger on what'll be undoubtably the most unpopular deal since the Jason Bay trade.

It would also eliminate Pittsburgh's lone representative in the All Star Game, giving MLB's "all teams must be represented" policy a black eye and sparing me from watching it all together. Huntington has the stones to do it, we'll see if it happens or not.

DBroncos4life
07-09-2009, 04:02 PM
As much as I like Doc Holliday, I don't want the Dodgers trading what they want for him away.

TheChamp24
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
DETROIT -- Brandon Inge will be meeting his Tiger All-Star teammates in St. Louis after all. Detroit's third baseman won a close All-Star Final Vote over Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler to capture the final spot on the American League roster for next Tuesday's Midsummer Classic.

I am happy for Brandon Inge....I knew the fans would vote for him in droves, as he is probably the fan favorite of all Tiger players.

Still don't think Inge should've made it over Figgins.
Also a freakin travesty Victorino made it in the NL. Sandoval should've won that voting.

Word is, the Pirates FO is pushing hard to trade Freddy Sanchez before the All Star Game. The Giants & Rockies are said to be interested, but a strong 2B prospect would be a must in return since the Bucs have no one up and coming to fill the vacancy. I like Freddy, but the fact is that he is oft-injured, 31 years old and his contract is a problem....if they can get a team to overpay, they should definitely pull the trigger on what'll be undoubtably the most unpopular deal since the Jason Bay trade.

It would also eliminate Pittsburgh's lone representative in the All Star Game, giving MLB's "all teams must be represented" policy a black eye and sparing me from watching it all together. Huntington has the stones to do it, we'll see if it happens or not.

I don't get why the Rockies would trade for Sanchez. I mean, I don't see it as a move that would help the team at all. Anybody with a brain knows the Rockies need more help in the bullpen than anything else.
Sanchez is a solid player, but Clint Barmes is solid at the time being. Maybe if it was a package with a RP like Grabow or Meek if the Pirates want to trade them.

Taco John
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Sandoval got absolutely robbed...

Hogan11
07-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't get why the Rockies would trade for Sanchez. I mean, I don't see it as a move that would help the team at all. Anybody with a brain knows the Rockies need more help in the bullpen than anything else.
Sanchez is a solid player, but Clint Barmes is solid at the time being. Maybe if it was a package with a RP like Grabow or Meek if the Pirates want to trade them.

I dunno either, but that's the word.....hey, if the Bucs can rob them, then I'm all for it. ;D

Grabow I expect to be traded, but I'd be surprised to see Meek go. I wouldn't be too upset over Sanchez, Wilson, Grabow or Adam LaRoche being traded, but if they deal Capps, Doumit, Andy LaRoche or McCutcheon, I'll flip out.

SouthStndJunkie
07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
BOSTON -- David Ortiz became the newest member of baseball's 300-homer club on Thursday, lining an opposite-field shot off Luke Hochevar in the first inning of Boston's series opener against Kansas City, giving the Sox a 3-0 lead.

TheChamp24
07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
What is this crap? Jayson Werth getting the nod over Matt Kemp? Could really tell who the manager of the NL team is, huh

DomCasual
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Still don't think Inge should've made it over Figgins.
Also a freakin travesty Victorino made it in the NL. Sandoval should've won that voting.

There's no way. It makes absolutely no sense. It's, at best, a small upgrade. It has to be an unfounded rumor.

DomCasual
07-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Loved how Joel Hanrahan got the win last night - as a Washington National.

I wonder if that's ever happened before. I love little oddities like that in baseball.

Hogan11
07-10-2009, 02:06 PM
There's no way. It makes absolutely no sense. It's, at best, a small upgrade. It has to be an unfounded rumor.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09191/983020-63.stm

Sassy
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Chris Coste to the Astros!

DomCasual
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09191/983020-63.stm

That makes more sense. The Giants need offense. The Pirates could probably come away from that deal smelling pretty sweet, with a few young arms.

Kid A
07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Royals traded for SS Yuniesky Betancourt. What's your take on him Taco? Even if he's mediocre he'll be a colossal improvement over what we have: Tony Pena Jr. and a bunch of utility guys.

If this trade means not seeing Pena Jr. bat it will be worth it. Seriously, he might be the worst hitter in the majors. Ever. Hits under .100, can't bunt, doesn't walk. For a coach's kid he has terrible fundamentals. Complete waste of space if not for decent defensive ability.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hWp8Hghjmvbw2-96qanx7Iflu8UAD99BQD000

WABronco
07-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Betancourt is bad news. Sorry to rain on your parade, but getting rid of him is like my equivalent to you wanting to get rid of Pena Jr., only like 20 times more happy feelings.

If you pay attention to the SABR side of things, he rates out as one of the worst major leaguers, both with the glove and bat, and probably the worst starting shortstop in baseball (at least he was when he was starting). If not, just watch the guy play. TPJ has more value because he can play defense. Without question, in my opinion. The M's benched Betancourt and effectively replaced him with a no-hit guy, simply because of the defensive improvement and the improvements in the mental aspect/paying attention/giving a **** department. From his first full year on, Yuni has been this guy...to Bronco fans he would be Jarvis Moss minus any semblance of effort or professional pride.

And to think that Dayton Moore gave up THEIR NUMBER 3 PROSPECT/THEIR TOP PITCHING SPECT plus a lefty reliever type...it boggles the mind.

Now they were saying on the local sports radio about how KC has a few connections to Yuni in the form of former coaches, etc. So they obviously think they can coaxe something out of him. When he first came up 3 or 4 years ago, he looked like he'd end up being a light hitting SS with a slick glove. Perfectly acceptable. Since then he's lost all his range, he makes countless mental errors, his defense borders on an error/game average. I literally think this guy would have a hard time taking a BB if his life depended on it, as well. All I can say is good luck in your quest Kansas City, thanks for taking the contract and giving us a live body or two in return. Hopefully he'll be something for you.

Betancourt does nothing well on a baseball field. He can't hit and has lost bat speed since reaching the majors. He hacks at everything he sees, and even swings at pitches thrown to other hitters. He has next to no range at short. And he never hustles on anything, not balls hit in his direction, not ground balls he might have a chance to beat out (well, before he let himself go physically). Other than all that, he's Honus Wagner.

I'm sorry Kid A, you don't deserve this. You're a great, great album, and I'm sure KC is a nice place. I'm...sorry.

Hogan11
07-10-2009, 04:42 PM
That makes more sense. The Giants need offense. The Pirates could probably come away from that deal smelling pretty sweet, with a few young arms.

They'll need to because, judging by the blogs @ Post Gazette, trading Sanchez will be a major PR nightmare.

Kid A
07-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Betancourt is bad news. Sorry to rain on your parade, but getting rid of him is like my equivalent to you wanting to get rid of Pena Jr., only like 20 times more happy feelings.

If you pay attention to the SABR side of things, he rates out as one of the worst major leaguers, both with the glove and bat, and probably the worst starting shortstop in baseball (at least he was when he was starting). If not, just watch the guy play. TPJ has more value because he can play defense. Without question, in my opinion. The M's benched Betancourt and effectively replaced him with a no-hit guy, simply because of the defensive improvement and the improvements in the mental aspect/paying attention/giving a **** department. From his first full year on, Yuni has been this guy...to Bronco fans he would be Jarvis Moss minus any semblance of effort or professional pride.

And to think that Dayton Moore gave up THEIR NUMBER 3 PROSPECT/THEIR TOP PITCHING SPECT plus a lefty reliever type...it boggles the mind.

Now they were saying on the local sports radio about how KC has a few connections to Yuni in the form of former coaches, etc. So they obviously think they can coaxe something out of him. When he first came up 3 or 4 years ago, he looked like he'd end up being a light hitting SS with a slick glove. Perfectly acceptable. Since then he's lost all his range, he makes countless mental errors, his defense borders on an error/game average. I literally think this guy would have a hard time taking a BB if his life depended on it, as well. All I can say is good luck in your quest Kansas City, thanks for taking the contract and giving us a live body or two in return. Hopefully he'll be something for you.

I'm sorry Kid A, you don't deserve this. You're a great, great album, and I'm sure KC is a nice place. I'm...sorry.

haha. Well, not crazy about giving up prospects, but I guess I'm willing to try the devil I don't know over the devil I do. I mean, at least Bentancourt has the batting avg of a professional ball player. Pena is an abomination at the plate, an insult to the history of the game itself. His defense can't begin to redeem him, as he only comes in late and usually looks rusty.

But if what you say is true about Yuni's effort...well hopefully things work out better in a new setting. I like a lot of what Dayton Moore did early (he built a solid pitching staff quickly), but some of his recent dealings have been lacking. The Mike Jacobs trade in particular looks curious. We didn't need another DH, and he has failed to be real HR this season at all. Jacobs seems to be a great guy and loved by his teammates, but I'm sick of watching him strike out 2+ times a game as tries way to hard to hit a HR every at bat.

Ownership has started opening the pocketbooks a little, helping land Meche and keep Greinke and Soria, but it's going to waste as this team has digressed considerable in the last few years in very fundamental areas: worst base-running team in the majors by a massive margin (something that has only started after hiring Hillman), nobody (and I mean nobody) knows how to bunt, horrific infield defense (we have to be averaging about 1.5 errors a game). Just so many fundamental things that prevent us from being able to really take advantage of the strengths we do have.

Anyway, I'm starting to get a little pessimistic about the Moore era. Started off nice, but he's trending in some dangerous directions.

/Royals rant over.

WABronco
07-10-2009, 05:08 PM
haha. Well, not crazy about giving up prospects, but I guess I'm willing to try the devil I don't know over the devil I do. I mean, at least Bentancourt has the batting avg of a professional ball player. Pena is an abomination at the plate, an insult to the history of the game itself. His defense can't begin to redeem him, as he only comes in late and usually looks rusty.

But if what you say is true about Yuni's effort...well hopefully things work out better in a new setting. I like a lot of what Dayton Moore did early (he built a solid pitching staff quickly), but some of his recent dealings have been lacking. The Mike Jacobs trade in particular looks curious. We didn't need another DH, and he has failed to be real HR this season at all. Jacobs seems to be a great guy and loved by his teammates, but I'm sick of watching him strike out 2+ times a game as tries way to hard to hit a HR every at bat.

Ownership has started opening the pocketbooks a little, helping land Meche and keep Greinke and Soria, but it's going to waste as this team has digressed considerable in the last few years in very fundamental areas: worst base-running team in the majors by a massive margin (something that has only started after hiring Hillman), nobody (and I mean nobody) knows how to bunt, horrific infield defense (we have to be averaging about 1.5 errors a game). Just so many fundamental things that prevent us from being able to really take advantage of the strengths we do have.

Anyway, I'm starting to get a little pessimistic about the Moore era. Started off nice, but he's trending in some dangerous directions.

/Royals rant over.

He will make contact. He just won't take pitches or have a patient approach. So he pretty much as to rely on luck when he makes contact.

It doesn't look good though, in terms of the Royals direction, from an outsiders perspective. Eerily similar to Bill Bavasi here in Seattle just a few years ago. Started with a bang, then started giving away young players for the likes of Eduardo Perez and Ben Broussard (what a grand idea, let's acquire another teams' crappy 1B platoon and give up great young players to do it--Shin Shoo Choo/Asdrubal Cabrera--because I'm too big of an idiot to do it myself!) I feel your pain...maybe one day you'll get your own Don Wakamatsu/Jack Zduriencik.

Hopefully a guy like Jose Guillen can get in his head, butttt we've tried that a couple times in Seattle already.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/images/admin/yunibomberjpg4qb.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
All-Star Edwin Jackson pitched 7 solid inning to lead the Tigers to a 5-1 victory over the Indians.

Dave Dombrowski should be arrested for stealing him from Tampa Bay.

It's been half a season and it looks like EJ is the real deal.

2.52 ERA with quality start after quality start....and only 25 years old.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Jonathan Sanchez of the Giants, has a no-no through 7 2/3 innings right now.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Make that 8 innings.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 10:35 PM
MLB channel showing the 9th inning.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 10:36 PM
One down.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Rowand makes a sweet catch for the 2nd out.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Everth Cabrera strikes out.

Jonathan Sanchez of the Giants throws a no-hitter.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Cool that his Dad was in attendance.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Almost a perfect game for Sanchez....0 BB 11 Ks....only an error in the 8th inning ruined the perfect game.

Kid A
07-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Rowand makes a sweet catch for the 2nd out.

That was intense. You could almost feel the air leaving the stadium as that one looked like it was going out. Exciting last couple outs to a no-hitter.

Taco John
07-10-2009, 11:50 PM
That's what baseball is all about. This has been a killer week leading into the all star break. Lincecum with a strong showing that blew up on him, and the later in the week some kid comes out and throws the game of his life in front of his dad.

I love this sport.

24champ
07-11-2009, 12:40 AM
All-Star Edwin Jackson pitched 7 solid inning to lead the Tigers to a 5-1 victory over the Indians.

Dave Dombrowski should be arrested for stealing him from Tampa Bay.

It's been half a season and it looks like EJ is the real deal.

2.52 ERA with quality start after quality start....and only 25 years old.

Wow. Dodgers had him in their organization for a while. Always had the potential, just never lived up to it.

DBroncos4life
07-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Wow. Dodgers had him in their organization for a while. Always had the potential, just never lived up to it.

I was scared that Jackson would end up like Pedro.

Hogan11
07-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Is Garrett Jones awesome or what? :thanku:

Taco John
07-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Garrett Jones with three home runs in three days of ball. Hahahaha! I LOVE IT!

SouthStndJunkie
07-12-2009, 02:13 PM
All-Star Brandon Inge went yard twice today (20,21) and Justin Verlander pitched 7 innings of shut out ball for his 10th win, as Detroit spanked the Tribe 10-1.

Tigers are 48-39 going into the break and looking like they will have a 3.5 game lead in the division.

elsid13
07-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Josh Beckett was dominate again today. Complete game 7Ks, 93 pitches 3 hits no walks.

He is looking as good as the 2007 Beckett. If he stays healthy he will be strong candidate for the Cy Young.

BroncoBuff
07-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Aardsma closes #20, Mariners take 3 of 4 from the Rangers ... don't even dream we're out of it.

If we can get just one decent 280-290 contact hitter to slot in at #2 ahead of Branyan, we'll win the West.

Hernandez-Washburn-Bedard is as good a 1-2-3 as there is right now :thumbs:

Hogan11
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Garrett Jones with three home runs in three days of ball. Hahahaha! I LOVE IT!

As the Bucco season officially reaches it's nadir, Garrett Jones gives me reason to follow the second half of the season.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if you fantasy guys can get Ryan Doumit on the cheap, do it.

SouthStndJunkie
07-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Let's see what Obama does with the first pitch.

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Here comes Obama .......

White Sox jacket ... ;D

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Here comes Obama .......

White Sox jacket ... ;D

A lefty ..... dumass cameraman missed where the pitch went? ???

80smith
07-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Here comes Obama .......

White Sox jacket ... ;D

A lefty ..... dumass cameraman missed where the pitch went? ???

That was beautiful!!!!!!!

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 07:05 PM
That was beautiful!!!!!!!

Sox won the Series what, 3 years ago? Niiiice.

I love lil' Timmy Lincecum ....

Loves me some Ichiro too.

80smith
07-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Sox won the Series what, 3 years ago? Niiiice.

I love lil' Timmy Lincecum ....

Loves me some Ichiro too.

5 years ago. It was a fun season! Best part about going to comiskey now is they have some pictures of the series up at the park as a reminder. Hope they go back soon. Need to stick it to some cubs fans.

SouthStndJunkie
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice snag by Crawford.

SouthStndJunkie
07-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Curtis Granderson with a sweet triple.

SouthStndJunkie
07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
American League kicks some ass again.

Kid A
07-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Fast game. Greinke represented KC well (not that the team deserves to be represented well) in his inning of work.

A couple of big innings, but otherwise a lot of good pitching. By both sides.

And the AL still own the NL.

24champ
07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Home advantage won't matter...Dodgers will still win the World Series.:wave:

DBroncos4life
07-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Home advantage won't matter...Dodgers will still win the World Series.:wave:

****ing Phillies tanked it for us :P

BroncoBuff
07-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Papelbon got the win?! Geez, the first two pitches he threw were blasted to the wall ... one was snagged as it was going over the wall.

Oh well .... ???

BroncoBuff
07-15-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm telling you, all the Mariners need is a decent .290 or better contact hitter to slot between Ichiro and Branyan, and we win the West.

We might even win it anyway ... best pitching in the league :thumbs:

24champ
07-15-2009, 12:21 AM
****ing Phillies tanked it for us :P

I might add the Padres tanked it too. Bell absolutely sucked in relief tonight.

SouthStndJunkie
07-15-2009, 12:22 AM
PHILADELPHIA -- Pedro Martinez is returning to the major leagues with the Philadelphia Phillies, according to multiple media reports.

Martinez has agreed to a $1 million, one-year contract with the Phillies, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

Martinez can earn up to $1.5 million in incentives. The eight-time All-Star will need to make at least a few starts in the minors before he's ready to join Philadelphia's depleted rotation.

Taco John
07-15-2009, 01:11 AM
He's never been the same after this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E6YBeT4Dabw/Rejvryl4bHI/AAAAAAAABO0/MJYEfT-Owdc/s320/pedro.bmp

broncocalijohn
07-15-2009, 01:39 AM
I'm telling you, all the Mariners need is a decent .290 or better contact hitter to slot between Ichiro and Branyan, and we win the West.

We might even win it anyway ... best pitching in the league :thumbs:

not so fast kemosabe. You guys are probably sticking or buying with the improvement but there is a team down in SoCal that just swept the Yanks without Vlade, Torii and Juan Rivera (2 games) due to injury. This team has had major set backs and still in first place. Just glad the AL helped out the Angels for HFA for the World Series.

24champ
07-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Just glad the AL helped out the Angels for HFA for the World Series.

Hilarious!

Angels don't have the arms to do it.

SouthStndJunkie
07-15-2009, 01:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4329684

Ichiro visits Sisler's grave

broncocalijohn
07-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Hilarious!

Angels don't have the arms to do it.

actually, you might be right especially compared to last year. Saunders is not what he was in his All Star year of 08 giving up as many hrs as last year & Santana only good in even numbered years. But Lackey can get back to his normal stuff as he's been back for a month. Sean O Sullivan will be in the starting rotation again once we go to 5 man (days off so we sent him down to AAA to stay in pitching shape) and Weaver could have been on the AS team this year with a good era and 10 wins. You never know if we pick up someone like Haren or Halladay (which I think BJ are nuts to get rid of him with that pitching staff for 2010). Our bats are better than 2008 which we are averaging more than a run a game better which can help a little inflated ERA. My plan is to play the Yanks in the first round, Detroit takes out the Red Sox and that gets the Angels away from the Red Sox. We take down Verlander, Jackson and the Tigers and onto the WS with HFA.

WABronco
07-16-2009, 02:14 AM
The problem Seattle faces isn't buying or selling, in my opinion. It's missing an opportunity to sell and get longterm pieces back...be it major or minor contributors.

Seattle can buy, and I don't think it will really hurt them long-term. None of their upper level prospects/young players have a bigtime future in the organization, so it's not like you're losing a hotshot. On the other hand, if they don't sell high on Washburn or Bedard or whoever...

Seattle can play as well as they want, it won't matter if LAA and/or Texas keep it up. Still nice to even be in the conversation though at this point, and it's a definite sign of things to come under the new leadership.

broncocalijohn
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
WABronco, i think Washburn is playing way over his head right now. Angels didnt re-sign him and Seattle paid dearly for it. He is finally coming around but is this a blimp on a so-so Seattle career?

Requiem
07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
The contributors the Mariners have in the minor leagues are probably a good two years away from making an impact up in the majors; excluding Saunders. I think it's safe to say Clement won't ever be a permanent fixture in the majors, and we'll see how Carp pans out for us in the future. I'm pleased by the play of the team this year, especially the pitching -- but our offense has been absolutely terrible.

Besides Ichiro and Branyan, there isn't much to talk about. F-G, has came on as of late and I hope he really can stay consistent around this area. We'll need him in the future as Ichiro gets older. Beltre has been an extreme disappointment, playing his worst ball with the M's since the first year he was here. I wonder if the thumb is still bothering him.

Whether we'll acquire another bat or not by the 31st remains to be seen, but we desperately need one. Averaging three runs a game just isn't doing it for us; and it's doing a great displeasure to the pitchers on this team who can go 7/8 strong and still end up with a no decision.

WABronco
07-17-2009, 12:29 AM
WABronco, i think Washburn is playing way over his head right now. Angels didnt re-sign him and Seattle paid dearly for it. He is finally coming around but is this a blimp on a so-so Seattle career?

There's been a lot of talk about a new approach from him. Lots of love for the new pitching coach as well, who's gotten him to use more than just his high 89 MPH fastball. The statheads think he's legitimately better, too. But, he's still not an ace-type pitcher.

But yes, still a stroke of genuis to sign him in the first place. SIGH.

The contributors the Mariners have in the minor leagues are probably a good two years away from making an impact up in the majors; excluding Saunders. I think it's safe to say Clement won't ever be a permanent fixture in the majors, and we'll see how Carp pans out for us in the future. I'm pleased by the play of the team this year, especially the pitching -- but our offense has been absolutely terrible.

Besides Ichiro and Branyan, there isn't much to talk about. F-G, has came on as of late and I hope he really can stay consistent around this area. We'll need him in the future as Ichiro gets older. Beltre has been an extreme disappointment, playing his worst ball with the M's since the first year he was here. I wonder if the thumb is still bothering him.

Whether we'll acquire another bat or not by the 31st remains to be seen, but we desperately need one. Averaging three runs a game just isn't doing it for us; and it's doing a great displeasure to the pitchers on this team who can go 7/8 strong and still end up with a no decision.

Well, imo, you have Moore, Saunders, Fister, RRS, Clement, Carp, and now Tui again as potential 25-man players. And in AA there's Josh Fields, who could be in the bigs now. Some pieces to work with, to be sure.

As far as the offense is concerned, ya, it's been bad, obviously. What's hard is the only places we can really upgrade are LF and SS. One bat isn't going to dramatically alter things, though. Too little OBP on the team, overall, and only one real slugging threat. Griffey in the clean-up is like a bad joke. Rob Johnson playing is a bad joke. Cedeno, even though he's better than this, is a joke. Lopez hitting 3rd is a joke. Etc.

My personal opinion, play it safe and if you get a good offer sell off your pieces. I have the utmost confidence in Jack Zduriencik, however.

Paladin
07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Hogan: You need to kick some Pirates' butt and get them to bury the Giants. Any team from California deserves to be buried....

Bucs were srupid for trading McCouth.....

Hogan11
07-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Hogan: You need to kick some Pirates' butt and get them to bury the Giants. Any team from California deserves to be buried....

Bucs were srupid for trading McCouth.....

Not really, McClouth's having an above average year for him. The Bucs sold while the value was high and McCutcheon was more than ready. Garrett Jones is making the Morgan Nationals deal seem like a logical move as well.

FWIW, The Bucs were 4-2 against the Giants last year, this is their first meeting.

BTW, The Bucs, after trying to trade both Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson, have turned around and offered each extentions...file under :kiddingme

Paladin
07-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Seems like the LaRoche boys have cooled off......

But I don't really know because I don't get to see them that often......

Hogan11
07-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Seems like the LaRoche boys have cooled off......

But I don't really know because I don't get to see them that often......

Adam is in a bad slump at the moment. Andy has been considerably better than anytime since his move into the majors, but he still lacks power.

I don't expect Adam to be traded (no one wants him) so he'll probably play out his contract and book at the end of the season.

Hogan11
07-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Another HR by Garrett Jones....somewhere Taco is smiling :)

Hogan11
07-17-2009, 09:32 PM
A game winning HR for the Pirates by guess who....Garrett Jones :D

SouthStndJunkie
07-17-2009, 10:12 PM
George Brett talks about ****ting himself:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ya57sApzSDI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ya57sApzSDI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SouthStndJunkie
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
George Brett....my favorite non-Tiger of all-time.

Kid A
07-17-2009, 10:38 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ya57sApzSDI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ya57sApzSDI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ROFL! Why have I never seen this before?

TheChamp24
07-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Oh man, that was freakin epic.
Nonchalantly talking how he **** himself in Vegas, and then turns around and asks who's pitching in the game today. haha

Hogan11
07-18-2009, 07:42 AM

Oh, that is epic Ha!

"I'm good for about twice a year for that" :spit:

Hogan11
07-18-2009, 07:47 AM
You know, with all the "true fan" talk in the other football threads, I thought I'd post this gem from the Pitt Gazette that illustrates what the whole notion is really about....so, without further ado:

Losing seasons don't deter Pirates faithful

Saturday, July 18, 2009

By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jason Bush and Bryan Nemanic were tailgating at 5 p.m. yesterday in a parking lot adjacent to PNC Park -- each with legs dangling, sitting on the open tailgate of Bush's pickup truck.

Both had a beer, both talked baseball and both, in what might seem the strangest of conversations, spoke glowingly about their hometown team, the Pirates.

Yes, the same Pirates who were 38-50 and 9 1/2 games behind the National League Central Division-leading St. Louis Cardinals going into last night's action.

Yes, the same Pirates who had lost four consecutive games and seven of nine before the just completed All-Star Game break.

And, yes, the same Pirates who haven't had a winning season since the Curse of the Cabrera. That occurred on Oct. 14, 1992, in the ninth inning of Game 7 of the National League Championship Series in Atlanta with the Pirates leading, 2-1, with two outs when pinch-hitter Francisco Cabrera drilled a Stan Belinda fastball into left field, scoring David Justice and Sid Bream and denying the Pirates a trip to the World Series.

Now, the Pirates could become the first American major pro sports team to endure 17 consecutive losing seasons.

But Bush, 31, from Murrysville, and his buddy, Nemanic, 26, from Monroeville, were in the parking lot a few hours early, even as rain-threatening weather moved in and one of the National League's elite pitchers -- San Francisco Giants phenom Tim Lincecum -- was due to start for a team 10 games above .500 against the struggling home club.

The questions are these: Taking everything into consideration, why are fans still coming out? And why were there about 20,000 pre-sold tickets and 26,709 in attendance last night?

"Because I'm a loyal Pirates fan," Bush said. "I feel like, no matter what happened in the past, you owe it to these guys to be here."

Quickly, Nemanic chimed in: "Exactly."

All things considered, Pirates attendance this season has to be deemed a success. Through 39 home games, the Pirates have drawn 720,947 fans -- an average of 18,485.

While there is no denying that the total attendance was 28th out of 30 teams in Major League Baseball, there is also this: The figure marked a 2.4 percent increase from a year ago.

Tonight's crowd is an anticipated sellout, or close to it. Truth be told, a postgame fireworks display has more than just a little to do with that.

The notion that there is growth, though, could be a shocker to some, when you first factor in the economy and possibly an even bigger variable in these parts -- a season filled with what has become the ritual personnel moves.

Since the April 13 home opener, much has changed with the makeup of this ball club.

Gone is center fielder Nate McLouth.

Gone, too, is left fielder Nyjer Morgan.

Their trades in June shipped two ultra-popular players away.

At mid-season last year, the Pirates similarly traded away outfielders Jason Bay and Xavier Nady.

Players such as Garrett Jones, Andrew McCutchen, Charlie Morton and Joel Hanrahan now dot the major league roster, and youngsters Pedro Alvarez, Gorkys Hernandez and Jose Tabata constitute the crux of a youth movement in the minor leagues.

Alvarez, Hernandez and Tabata are prime examples of the how the management team in its second season -- particularly president Frank Coonelly and general manager Neal Huntington -- is looking to acquire young talent, cultivate it within the organization's development system and have it produce someday in Pittsburgh.

Bush understands as much. Which is why the Pirates' losing doesn't keep him away.

"The Pirates are not going to win in the next two, three years, and people need to understand that and live with it," Bush said. "But what Coonelly and Huntington are doing is great. They are trying to make it better and you have to support this team."

Again, his friend chimed in.

"And if the yinzers, and that is what they are, if the yinzers who aren't coming now start coming to games when the Pirates win, they are hypocrite bandwagoners," Nemanic said. "That's what happened with the Penguins. They couldn't get anyone to go to games five years ago, they started winning and, all of a sudden, everyone is a fan. Whatever.

"That is why we are here now. That is why the people who are here now are true fans."

That "true fans," as Nemanic calls them, are still coming out to the ballpark even through all the losing isn't lost on management.

"One of the best things we have going for us is the passion of these fans; it is something that drives us," Huntington said. "We are working to build a winner because these people deserve it. If you cheer for a team as passionately as these people have, and you lose for 16-going-on-17 years, I absolutely understand their frustration.

"The toughest part is that it is a long-term process."

And why is that so?

Because what so many in the fan base see as the first item on the to-do list -- finishing at least at .500 -- Huntington doesn't acknowledge as a goal.

"Eighty-one wins is meaningless," he said. "It is a step in the process, but that is not where we are ultimately headed. We have larger objectives. We just ask that people remain patient with us."

Judging by a growth in attendance, it would seem that patience remains -- at least for now.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09199/984798-53.stm

"Yinzers".....never heard that term before, but I like it :D

WABronco
07-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Meh. Baseball is baseball. Been an M's fan since I can remember, so it's not like I've had it "good"...maybe better than the Pirates, but yeah.

But you have to admit. When the team is running out guys like Jose Vidro, Richie Sexson, etc etc etc...it's literally depressing to watch or pay attention to. Like a pitching staff full of Matt Morris's or a lineup of highly paid Craig Monroe's/Adam LaRoche's (when he's not going well). Not worth the time or emotional investment.

And now you have some good young players who play winning baseball to replace those old scrubbies who were just out there to be out there. But there are times where it's almost completely hopeless, in my opinion.

Sounds like you should be getting ready for more youth in Pitt...with how Wilson and Sanchez are being low-balled so the team can trade them and have a ready-made excuse.

Paladin
07-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Agree. Rockies have a bevy of good talent and they are young. Doing some winning now, but last year was a b**ch. They have some veteran players that could start sitting on the bench.

Would like to see a couple of the young guys start to hit, but they will in time. I go to the games when I can. But they are fun to watch now, especially after all the crapola from Hurdle..........

Hogan11
07-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Meh. Baseball is baseball. Been an M's fan since I can remember, so it's not like I've had it "good"...maybe better than the Pirates, but yeah.

But you have to admit. When the team is running out guys like Jose Vidro, Richie Sexson, etc etc etc...it's literally depressing to watch or pay attention to. Like a pitching staff full of Matt Morris's or a lineup of highly paid Craig Monroe's/Adam LaRoche's (when he's not going well). Not worth the time or emotional investment.

And now you have some good young players who play winning baseball to replace those old scrubbies who were just out there to be out there. But there are times where it's almost completely hopeless, in my opinion.

Sounds like you should be getting ready for more youth in Pitt...with how Wilson and Sanchez are being low-balled so the team can trade them and have a ready-made excuse.

The FO team that took over last year has a mammoth rebuilding project going on with the farm system (thanks to years of Littlefield deals that raped it to the point of being almost totally devoid of talent). Matt Morris was Littlefield's parting **** you to the organization. He was dispatched early on last season by the new FO team. Likewise, when Monroe starting dogging it on the field, he was also sent packing ASAP. It's clear there will be no more Jeremy Burnitz-like "old scrubbies who are just out there to be out there". I also like some of the kids they have up now, who play hard every game and give max effort every play....I'd pay to see that everytime regardless of record.

Anyways, I digress

They actually think Wilson will sign. The thinking on Sanchez is that the market won't pay him much more than the offer that was given, despite him being an all star. The fact is both are in their early 30's and are oft-injured. Was it a PR move by the club? Certainly was, no doubt about it....but I think neither will find an offer that's better as a FA....the chances both will be back are about 50%. From what I hear, the money is not the main sticking point anyways, it's the no trade clauses.

TheChamp24
07-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Agree. Rockies have a bevy of good talent and they are young. Doing some winning now, but last year was a b**ch. They have some veteran players that could start sitting on the bench.

Would like to see a couple of the young guys start to hit, but they will in time. I go to the games when I can. But they are fun to watch now, especially after all the crapola from Hurdle..........

The fact Carlos Gonzalez starting over Seth Smith is absolute horse ****. The Rockies have some talented youth, and I think next year can be really good if things go well.
C - I'd say locked up with Iannetta as long as he progresses with his hitting, he can be a good defensive guy and a solid bat with some pop.
1B - I don't follow highly on the farm system, but I'm pretty sure there is no youth at 1B. Helton can still play a few more years, but someone needs to be developing there.
2B - Barmes to me is a utility guy good to have as a backup, not a starter over the course of a season. He doesn't walk, and strikeouts a lot, but does have some pop. Here, Eric Young, Jr. I think takes over next year.
SS - Tulo has it locked down.
3B - Ian Stewart needs to just start, and I think he will be okay. Not going to have a high average every year, but capable of driving in runs
LF - Seth Smith unless Carlos Gonzalez takes off
CF - Dexter Fowler
RF - Brad Hawpe

Not a bad offense the Rockies have set themselves up for in the future.

The FO team that took over last year has a mammoth rebuilding project going on with the farm system (thanks to years of Littlefield deals that raped it to the point of being almost totally devoid of talent). Matt Morris was Littlefield's parting **** you to the organization. He was dispatched early on last season by the new FO team. Likewise, when Monroe starting dogging it on the field, he was also sent packing ASAP. It's clear there will be no more Jeremy Burnitz-like "old scrubbies who are just out there to be out there". I also like some of the kids they have up now, who play hard every game and give max effort every play....I'd pay to see that everytime regardless of record.

Anyways, I digress

They actually think Wilson will sign. The thinking on Sanchez is that the market won't pay him much more than the offer that was given, despite him being an all star. The fact is both are in their early 30's and are oft-injured. Was it a PR move by the club? Certainly was, no doubt about it....but I think neither will find an offer that's better as a FA....the chances both will be back are about 50%. From what I hear, the money is not the main sticking point anyways, it's the no trade clauses.

Sanchez is a solid guy, but he will be 32 in December. I think it would be tough for him to get a very good contract in free agency.
Wilson is flat out an average SS and if anybody actually trades for him, I'll be surprised, and I don't see Wilson getting his $8.4 million salary next year, no way do the Pirates pay him that with the buyout option.

Hogan11
07-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Sanchez is a solid guy, but he will be 32 in December. I think it would be tough for him to get a very good contract in free agency.
Wilson is flat out an average SS and if anybody actually trades for him, I'll be surprised, and I don't see Wilson getting his $8.4 million salary next year, no way do the Pirates pay him that with the buyout option.

Part of the deal, I believe, is that he has to give it back...I could be wrong in that though. Regardless, they do work very well defensively and with no one behind them in the Pirates system.....well, I hope they both come back. We'll see though.

EDIT: Word coming out of the Burgh is that both Sanchez and Wilson have rejected the extension offers.

Hogan11
07-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Well, Rockies fans, the Bucs are certainly doin' their part to help you out

TheChamp24
07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
I found this to be pretty intersting. Here are stat lines for 2 pitchers
Pitcher A:
20 Games Started
14 Quality Starts
127 innings pitched
108 hits allowed
57 Runs, 53 earned runs allowed
55 walks
119 Strikeouts
1.28 WHIP
.239 BAA
3.76 ERA
All Star Selection

Pitcher B
19 Games Started
12 Quality Starts
1 CG
122 2/3 Innings Pitched
110 hits allowed
53 runs, 52 earned runs
50 walks
111 Strikeouts
1.30 WHIP
.241 BAA
3.82 ERA
No All Star selection

The difference? Win/loss record, Pitcher A is 9-5, Pitcher B is 7-9. Want to know who they are?
Pitcher A is Chad Billingsley
Pitcher B is Ubaldo Jimenez
Ubaldo is really growing and I'm liking what I see from him, he doesn't get near as much publicity from what I can tell as Billingsley, but they are having nearly identical seasons.

Paladin
07-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Next year is Ubaldo's year. If the Rockies get to the playoffs, Marquis and Ubaldo should be the stud pitchers with Cook doing passably well. The key is whether the hitting gets better and more consistent.....

SouthStndJunkie
07-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Justin Morneau with 2 HRs (22,23) and 7 RBIs through 6 innings tonight.

He and Joe Mauer are a bad ass combo in the Twins lineup every night.

lostknight
07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
And tonight the Rockies move into second in the division, and first for the wildcard. Not bad at all.

SouthStndJunkie
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
And tonight the Rockies move into second in the division, and first for the wildcard. Not bad at all.

I am amazed at how the Rox have been playing in their last 40 games (30-10 record)....that is a .750 clip for 1/4 of a season.

DBroncos4life
07-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Jason Schmidt gets a win for the Dodgers. He is really starting to earn that 15 million dollars he is getting this year.

Paladin
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
But Peralta and Corpas sure didn't feel like pitching well, did they? Freaking 5 runs in two innings.....

Pi$$ poor performance from the Bull pen tonight....

Requiem
07-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Justin Morneau with 2 HRs (22,23) and 7 RBIs through 6 innings tonight.

He and Joe Mauer are a bad ass combo in the Twins lineup every night.

I'm a life-long Mariners fan, because of Jr., the Big Unit and a young A-Rod, along with the infamous Edgar and Tino duo -- not to forget Jay Buhner, but the Twins are a close #2 for me. I'm only a short drive across the border to get to Minneapolis, and I'm always in the area. I can't wait until next summer when I can chill down there, look for a place to live (possibly a destination for me after graduation) and enjoy games at the new ball park down there; and Twins tickets are cheap!

Hogan11
07-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Finally beat the Brewers, God I hate them.

Garrett Jones with another HR, somewhere Taco is still smiling Ha!

24champ
07-21-2009, 12:17 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090721/capt.f82237f134954122b8a11640a26ead92.reds_dodgers _baseball_lad108.jpg

Schmidt got his first start in 2 something years and won. Dodgers still chugging along.

SouthStndJunkie
07-21-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm a life-long Mariners fan, because of Jr., the Big Unit and a young A-Rod, along with the infamous Edgar and Tino duo -- not to forget Jay Buhner, but the Twins are a close #2 for me. I'm only a short drive across the border to get to Minneapolis, and I'm always in the area. I can't wait until next summer when I can chill down there, look for a place to live (possibly a destination for me after graduation) and enjoy games at the new ball park down there; and Twins tickets are cheap!

Outside of April/early May, baseball will be so much more enjoyable in Minnesota, playing outdoors, like it should be played.

24champ
07-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Dodgers are probably the favorite to land Halladay, but are not going to part with Kershaw in any deal.

Exactly what it would take to pry away Halladay from Toronto remains uncertain. For their part, the Dodgers appear to be reluctant to include Clayton Kershaw in any potential deal.

The Dodgers have sent scouts to watch George Sherrill of Baltimore and John Grabow and Matt Capps of Pittsburgh. A trio of relievers from the visiting Cincinnati Reds could also factor in the Dodgers' plans: Francisco Cordero, David Weathers and Arthur Rhodes.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Dodgers are probably the favorite to land Halladay, but are not going to part with Kershaw in any deal.

What you posted in no way backs your claim. No where does it say the Dodgers are the favorite (and I have yet to see anyone claim they're the favorite, it's more likely he doesn't get dealt), nor does it say the Dodgers refuse to part with Kershaw in any deal.

SouthStndJunkie
07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Boston Red Sox added one of the Pittsburgh Pirates' middle-of-the-order hitters for the second time in as many seasons, acquiring first baseman Adam LaRoche on Wednesday for two mid-level prospects.

WABronco
07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Pirates middle-of-the-order hitters=bench players in Boston.

broncofan2438
07-22-2009, 02:30 PM

As much as I would love the Dodgers to get Halladay, no way it happens. Stupid Phillies will land him and be very strong down the stretch

Hogan11
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Boston Red Sox added one of the Pittsburgh Pirates' middle-of-the-order hitters for the second time in as many seasons, acquiring first baseman Adam LaRoche on Wednesday for two mid-level prospects.

Awesome trade for the Bucs. He wasn't going to resign anyways and they get something in return for his dead bat.

The return nets a younger version of Jack Wilson (Argenis Diaz, who, like Wilson is all glove and little pop) and a decent pitcher. The move also opens up 1B for the red hot Garrett Jones (his natural position..he hit another HR today BTW...Taco continues to smile).

I'm happy with it and frankly, I'm surprised anyone wanted him at all. To get two players for him is just jaw dropping....they totally swindled the Red Sox with this one.

Go Bucs and **** the Brewers

Hogan11
07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Pirates middle-of-the-order hitters=bench players in Boston.

That's basically true of any club that's not in a large market.

Drek
07-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Awesome trade for the Bucs. He wasn't going to resign anyways and they get something in return for his dead bat.

The return nets a younger version of Jack Wilson (Argenis Diaz, who, like Wilson is all glove and little pop) and a decent pitcher. The move also opens up 1B for the red hot Garrett Jones (his natural position..he hit another HR today BTW...Taco continues to smile).

I'm happy with it and frankly, I'm surprised anyone wanted him at all. To get two players for him is just jaw dropping....they totally swindled the Red Sox with this one.

Go Bucs and **** the Brewers
Some write ups on them from SoxProspects.com (good site):

Hunter Strickland
Scouting Report: Tall righty with projectable frame. Fastball sits about 88-91 mph, topping out around 93. Fastball is a little flat, but shows some good movement when he takes something off of it. Strickland has a slow, easy delivery without much explosion at the moment. Good balance. Also works in a 79-82 mph slurve along with a change that sits at 83-85 mph. Changeup could stand to have some more separation from his fastball, look for that to be an area of improvement in 2009.Repeats delivery well, needs to work on his release point to improve his command. His father played in the Tigers organization.

Argenis Diaz
Scouting Report: Diaz is an elite defensive shortstop, and if he improves his concentration on routine plays, he could compete for a gold glove in the bigs right now. He has plus range, excellent footing, an impressive glove, and an outstanding arm. Makes impossible plays in the field. However, he does make a lot of errors on off-the-mark long throws off of grounders that he has no business getting to in the first place. He also really struggles with routine plays on occasion, almost as if he has a mental block. That is a definite area in need of improvement. The other key for Diaz is how much he will hit. He's a slap hitter with below average to average on base ability and without much power, but he's swung the bat very well during a few prolonged stints here and there. Good bat speed through the zone. Struggles with advanced off-speed stuff. Can show lack of plate discipline in stretches. Hits lefties significantly better than righties. Excellent at laying down bunts. Won't steal a lot of bases.

Diaz was irrelevant with the signing of Iglesias recently from Cuba. Strickland isn't in the top 10 best pitching prospects in the organization. Neither guy would've saw time on the 25 man roster short of a breakout miracle step up in their game and/or a massive wave on injuries.

I personally like the trade for Boston because I'm concerned that Lowell might need to be shut down pretty much indefinitely and LaRoche is an upgrade over Kotsay at 1B, without question. April and July have been rough on LaRoche, May and June just the opposite. He's being traded while in a rut so his numbers look sub-par, but he's a second half performer historically and if he can just perform up to his career averages he'll be a help.

If its all the Sox do I'm disappointed, but its a good low cost first step.

TonyR
07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Drek, do you still think the Yanks are going to suck this year?

TonyR
07-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Stupid Phillies will land him and be very strong down the stretch

If they can do it and only lose either Happ or Drabek, and not both, they'd be stupid not to. I won't be surprised either way. They'll be in the NLCS no matter what they do, and they seem to always handle the Dodgers so a Series return isn't at all unlikely. Personally I hope the Mets surprise and get Halladay, get some some guys healthy, and make things interesting down the stretch, but I don't see it happening since they're probably short on comp.

broncofan2438
07-22-2009, 04:44 PM
If they can do it and only lose either Happ or Drabek, and not both, they'd be stupid not to. I won't be surprised either way. They'll be in the NLCS no matter what they do, and they seem to always handle the Dodgers so a Series return isn't at all unlikely. Personally I hope the Mets surprise and get Halladay, get some some guys healthy, and make things interesting down the stretch, but I don't see it happening since they're probably short on comp.

Yea, Im sure my wifes godfather would love to see that. He's a huge Mets fan and would love nothing more than to see the Mets not crap anymore

Hogan11
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Some write ups on them from SoxProspects.com (good site):

Hunter Strickland

Argenis Diaz

Diaz was irrelevant with the signing of Iglesias recently from Cuba. Strickland isn't in the top 10 best pitching prospects in the organization. Neither guy would've saw time on the 25 man roster short of a breakout miracle step up in their game and/or a massive wave on injuries.

I personally like the trade for Boston because I'm concerned that Lowell might need to be shut down pretty much indefinitely and LaRoche is an upgrade over Kotsay at 1B, without question. April and July have been rough on LaRoche, May and June just the opposite. He's being traded while in a rut so his numbers look sub-par, but he's a second half performer historically and if he can just perform up to his career averages he'll be a help.

If its all the Sox do I'm disappointed, but its a good low cost first step.

From the Post Gazette:

The Pirates will receive two prospects, shortstop Argenis Diaz and pitcher Hunter Strickland, from Boston.

Diaz, 22, bats right-handed and is batting .253 for Class AA Portland, with 14 doubles, one triple, no home runs and 24 RBIs in 76 games. His career average is .273, and his power output has been consistently low.

But Diaz is much better known for his defensive potential, which is rated as "plus-plus," in scouting terminology, and that is excellent. He occasionally struggles with the routine play -- 23 errors this season will support that -- but his range, arm and other facets are promising.

Strickland, 20, is right-handed, 6 feet, 5 inches and has a fairly ordinary arm - fastball in the 88-90 mph range - but his results have been solid early in his professional career: He has a 3.67 overall ERA, including 3.35 to go with a 5-4 record for high Class A Greenville. He has 51 strikeouts, 13 walks in 83 1/3 innings.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09203/985575-100.stm#ixzz0M1zAnzTx

Another great thing about this trade from the Bucs standpoint is that they don't have to help pay his remaining salary. Again (from what I've read), they didn't expect to get anything for LaRoche, so to get a younger (and arguably better) replacement for Jack Wilson and a pitcher with upside exceeds their wildest expectations. Despite his usual second half stats, with the unexpected, monster rise of Garrett Jones, the only person that will miss him in Pittsburgh will be his brother Andy.

WABronco
07-22-2009, 04:58 PM
That's basically true of any club that's not in a large market.

Mariner's MOTO hitters=DFA candidates in Boston.

Haha actually Ken Griffey would get DFA'd on any other team.

Bronco LB52
07-22-2009, 06:25 PM

The Dodgers farm system is going through a down period compared to what they had a few years ago.

Not having Kershaw in the deal would greatly diminish their chances of getting Halladay.

I am not sure the Dodgers have the firepower, but this is what I would ask for if I were the Jays and Kershaw wasn't included:

1. Ronald Belisario
2. Two of these three starting pitchers ( Josh Lindblom, Scott Elbert, Chris Withrow)
3. Andrew Lambo
4. One or two of the following position players (Josh Bell, Kyle Russell, Devaris Gordon, Pedro Baez or Trayvon Robinson)

This might seem like a lot, but that's exactly what the Jays are looking for, a Danny Haren/Mark Teixeira type deal.

SouthStndJunkie
07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Props to Todd Helton.

He hit his 500th double today and joined some elite company.

Helton joined Stan Musial, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams as the only players with 500 doubles, 320 homers and a .325 batting average since 1900.

I thought his career might be on a big slide, but he has rebounded nicely this year and is on pace for a .324 average, 51 doubles, 20 HRs, and 106 RBIs.

Requiem
07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Go M's. Suckas.

SouthStndJunkie
07-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Go M's. Suckas.

Detroit wasted a great start by Armando Galarraga tonight.

King Felix pitched a damn good game as well.

The series will be decided on Thursday.

Requiem
07-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Felix always pitches a good game, he'd have 13 wins if the M's didn't blow games where he'd go 7/8 strong and get ****ed over because of no run support.

24champ
07-22-2009, 11:19 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090723/capt.9713669f9e53467c97dec11ee4f2627f.reds_dodgers _baseball_lad112.jpg

Manny pinch hits a tie-breaking grand slam on his Bobblehead night to lead the Dodgers past the Reds 6-2. :strong:

That also concludes the series, which the Dodgers swept the Reds.

WABronco
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Hoooray for steroiiiiids! MANNY HOF!

Also, KC, learn how to playa de baseballa. Thanks.

DomCasual
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Corpas is going to have surgery - out until at least September.

Jhoulys Chacin was pulled after the first inning in Tulsa.

Hmm. This is going to be interesting. A trade? A call-up? If it's a trade, it had better be good.

WABronco
07-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Hilarious video/gif posted on one of my favorite M's blogs...

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200907195620823&c_id=sea

^Check out what the pitcher does after that jack.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/62044/picture4-1.gif

RUSSELL THE MUSCLE STRIKES AGAIN!

SouthStndJunkie
07-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Manny's grand slam was the 21st of his career....2nd all-time.

Lou Gehrig holds the record with 23 grand slams.

24champ
07-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Hoooray for steroiiiiids! MANNY HOF!

Technically, Manny didn't get busted for Steriods.

WABronco
07-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Technically, Manny didn't get busted for Steriods.

http://www.siue.edu/alumni/aboutalumni/img/plaschke.jpg

^"**** Manny Ramirez!"

The Dodgers farm system is going through a down period compared to what they had a few years ago.

Not having Kershaw in the deal would greatly diminish their chances of getting Halladay.

I am not sure the Dodgers have the firepower, but this is what I would ask for if I were the Jays and Kershaw wasn't included:

1. Ronald Belisario
2. Two of these three starting pitchers ( Josh Lindblom, Scott Elbert, Chris Withrow)
3. Andrew Lambo
4. One or two of the following position players (Josh Bell, Kyle Russell, Devaris Gordon, Pedro Baez or Trayvon Robinson)

This might seem like a lot, but that's exactly what the Jays are looking for, a Danny Haren/Mark Teixeira type deal.

Take it from me guys....

...DONT TRADE THE FARM EVER NEVER EVER. And the deal that haunts me frequently is MINOR compared to what Halladay will pull. Adam Jones, and how about another helping of Adam Jones...oh, and, two Chris Tillmans as well. Oh and throw in a solid, cheap Major League closer. Oh and wait we aren't done, give up a good young bullpen arm too.

24champ
07-23-2009, 01:16 AM
^"**** Manny Ramirez!"

Plaschke is a hack, always has been.

Take it from me guys....

...DONT TRADE THE FARM EVER NEVER EVER. And the deal that haunts me frequently is MINOR compared to what Halladay will pull. Adam Jones, and how about another helping of Adam Jones...oh, and, two Chris Tillmans as well. Oh and throw in a solid, cheap Major League closer. Oh and wait we aren't done, give up a good young bullpen arm too.

I don't think the Dodgers will do it, its too much risk involved. However there is a lot of pressure in LA for the Dodgers to make a trade.

WABronco
07-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Plaschke is a hack, always has been.

I don't think the Dodgers will do it, its too much risk involved. However there is a lot of pressure in LA for the Dodgers to make a trade.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/04/09/2004338831.jpg

TonyR
07-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Take it from me guys....

...DONT TRADE THE FARM EVER NEVER EVER.

Meh. Prospects fail more often than turn out to be studs. It's about winning and winning NOW. The Yanks passed on Santana the year before last because they wouldn't give up Phil Hughes who was the number one pitching prospect in all of baseball. I can tell you without hesitation that with hindsight they do that trade in a NY minute.

Take the Phillies as a perfect example. If they get Halladay they probably go to the Series this and next year. Halladay 1, Hamels 2. How can you not take a chance to lock in a shot at two championships?

For the Santanas and Halladays, withing reason, you take the chance.

broncofan2438
07-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Dang, Dodgers rolln. What an epic event last night with Manny. That stadium was packed.

Dodgers all the way

Paladin
07-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Dodgers haven't been to the Series since 1980's.

Why should it change now? They'd just get beat by Tampa Bay.......

24champ
07-23-2009, 10:04 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/04/09/2004338831.jpg

What's the price tag for Washburn? He would be a half a year rental.

I'd prefer...

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20060810/lee_81899.jpg

WABronco
07-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Probably on the high end someone like James McDonald...low end maybe Blake DeWitt or some AAA/AA B-prospect.

broncocalijohn
07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Dang, Dodgers rolln. What an epic event last night with Manny. That stadium was packed.

Dodgers all the way

From BF2438 on the 28th of June....

Typical Dodgers......No hitting and crap pitching

LOL! You wonder if he really follows baseball. The bandwagonning is so Chargers-esque! Champ24, congrats on BF2438 being a "Dodgers" fan.

broncocalijohn
07-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I would give up top prospects for Halladay in a second. Brandon Wood is gone if he was offered. I wouldnt give up any starting pitching as the Angels might lose Lackey to free agency and Saunders and Santana are iffy this year. Any good 8th inning guys available for trade? Since Shields went out for the year, that is one part of the Angels bullpen that needs to be addressed. As for Washburn, it must be a contract year for him pitching this well.

WABronco
07-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Meh. Prospects fail more often than turn out to be studs. It's about winning and winning NOW. The Yanks passed on Santana the year before last because they wouldn't give up Phil Hughes who was the number one pitching prospect in all of baseball. I can tell you without hesitation that with hindsight they do that trade in a NY minute.

Take the Phillies as a perfect example. If they get Halladay they probably go to the Series this and next year. Halladay 1, Hamels 2. How can you not take a chance to lock in a shot at two championships?

For the Santanas and Halladays, withing reason, you take the chance.

You think that NY would trade Hughes now? Really?

As far as Philly goes, ya they can make that trade. They have a lot off upper-minors talent. But enjoy replacing Raul Ibanez in 2 or 3 years with some scrub, or having to throw more money at LEFT FIELD. Enjoy having to pay Victorino out the nose when he reaches FA. Enjoy more Joe Blanton's, less young stud, cheap hurlers. That's just my opinion. If the deal makes sense, go for it. If it's giving up 4 or 5 studs...pass.

Philly might not get hurt as bad, because they have money. If a team like Texas pulled that trade, just as their best 'spects were reaching the high minors and owning it? Ouch.

24champ
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Probably on the high end someone like James McDonald...low end maybe Blake DeWitt or some AAA/AA B-prospect.

Some AA prospect will do WAB. :wave:

24champ
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
LOL! You wonder if he really follows baseball. The bandwagonning is so Chargers-esque! Champ24, congrats on BF2438 being a "Dodgers" fan.

Sounded like he got a Manny Bobblehead.:giggle:

WABronco
07-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Some AA prospect will do WAB. :wave:

Lol. Now the price is Matt Kemp you sum bitch. I'm controlling the dealings here.

broncofan2438
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Dodgers haven't been to the Series since 1980's.

Why should it change now? They'd just get beat by Tampa Bay.......

HAHAHA, what a joke that is

broncofan2438
07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
From BF2438 on the 28th of June....

Any chance you get uh?

Typical calijohn

broncofan2438
07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Sounded like he got a Manny Bobblehead.:giggle:

ACtually I didn't....wish I did though.

Requiem
07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Keep Washburn if the club thinks we have a realistic chance at winning the division this year. Regardless, get rid of Batista already! For Christ Sakes!

DomCasual
07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Chacin was promoted this morning. Herges was signed last week. This would help, assuming they don't have to give up much.

The bullpen could kill them if some of this crap they're throwing against the wall doesn't end up sticking.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9843778/Sources:-Rockies-in-talks-to-get-Betancourt

Sources: Rockies in talks to get Betancourt
by Ken Rosenthal

If the teams are able to swing a deal, Betancourt will help fill a setup role in Colorado. The Rockies also plan to promote Class AA right-hander Jhoulys Chacin, possibly as a reliever, sources say.

Chacin, 21, is 8-6 with a 3.14 ERA at Class AA. He is the Rockies' No. 2 prospect according to Baseball America's preseason rankings.

Reliever Manuel Corpas will undergo surgery Friday to remove bone chips from his right elbow and could be lost for the season, according to the Denver Post.

24champ
07-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Chacin was promoted this morning. Herges was signed last week. This would help, assuming they don't have to give up much.

The bullpen could kill them if some of this crap they're throwing against the wall doesn't end up sticking.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9843778/Sources:-Rockies-in-talks-to-get-Betancourt

Sources: Rockies in talks to get Betancourt
by Ken Rosenthal

If the teams are able to swing a deal, Betancourt will help fill a setup role in Colorado. The Rockies also plan to promote Class AA right-hander Jhoulys Chacin, possibly as a reliever, sources say.

Chacin, 21, is 8-6 with a 3.14 ERA at Class AA. He is the Rockies' No. 2 prospect according to Baseball America's preseason rankings.

Reliever Manuel Corpas will undergo surgery Friday to remove bone chips from his right elbow and could be lost for the season, according to the Denver Post.

What are the chances the Rockies get Fuentes in a trade?

WABronco
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Keep Washburn if the club thinks we have a realistic chance at winning the division this year. Regardless, get rid of Batista already! For Christ Sakes!

Why? He's gone after this year anyways, so unless someone wants to give us something for him he seems to be doing fine as a middle reliever.

DomCasual
07-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Seriously? Unless you know something I don't - none. Why would the Angels want to do that?

24champ
07-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Seriously? Unless you know something I don't - none. Why would the Angels want to do that?

Seriously, I just want to see Fuentes **** it all up for the Rockies.:P

broncocalijohn
07-23-2009, 03:35 PM

Champ just hates the thought of Fuentes saving games with the Angels against his Blue in the WS. Fuentes only the 2nd lefty to have 30 saves in both leagues. He had a rocky start for the Angels but has probably been the best reliever since June 1st. Not even sure if he has one blown save during that time. I know his ERA was 0.00 for June and cant recall a run given up in July. Great free agency pick up.

80smith
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
July 23, 2009

Buehrle achieved perfection today against the Rays. (Jim Prisching/AP)
BUEHRLE THROWS PERFECT GAME
White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle threw the second perfect game in club history on Thursday, blanking the Tampa Bay Rays, 5-0, at U.S. Cellular Field. It was the second no-hitter of Buehrle’s career – he also threw one at home on April 18, 2007, vs. the Rangers. The only other perfect game in White Sox history was Charlie Robertson’s perfect 2-0 victory over the Tigers on April 30, 1922.

Buehrle, Buehrle, Buehrle, Buehrle, Buehrle, Buehrle, Buehrle, Buehrle, Buehrle, Buehrle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

broncocalijohn
07-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Any chance you get uh?

Typical calijohn

What is more typicle, your posts that contridict yourself or me responding to those types of posts? Jordan, you bury yourself when you know we can go back and read past posts. Dont recall you ever much in the General BB forum and your June 28th post was so off the mark about the Dodgers. Come back less than a month later and look who is a Dodger fan? YOU! Next, we will see you in October telling everyone about the greatness of the Lakers. :wiggle:

DomCasual
07-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Seriously, I just want to see Fuentes **** it all up for the Rockies.:P

I actually like him with the Angels. I'm glad he's having success there. I just got tired of watching him with the Rockies. The guy just never seemed to pitch clean innings.

I would love to have him in the role he had in '07 - pitching the 8th. But, all things considered, I like the trade-off - Huston for Fuentes.

Taco John
07-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Every time I doubt Beuhle, he proves me wrong. Looks like I'm going to have to become a fan now.

Taco John
07-23-2009, 03:59 PM

They BETTER keep Washburn. This team NEEDS to make a run at the Angels, just to show the players and fans that the team is willing to do so when the chips are down.

We've got a team here. Let's make a run, not break it up.

Requiem
07-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Agree. It's a funky team, but it's a team. Why break up the best pitching game in baseball? All we need is a more consistent offense. Granted, that's asking a lot with our rag-tag line-up, but dammit -- let's do it M's!

Taco John
07-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Agree. It's a funky team, but it's a team. Why break up the best pitching game in baseball? All we need is a more consistent offense. Granted, that's asking a lot with our rag-tag line-up, but dammit -- let's do it M's!

It is a rag tag line-up... That's for sure. But hell! They're performing!

WABronco
07-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Every time I doubt Beuhle, he proves me wrong. Looks like I'm going to have to become a fan now.

Dewayne Wise with the catch of the year to preserve that perfecto too.

It is a rag tag line-up... That's for sure. But hell! They're performing!

http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=0&season=2009&month=0

Oh yaaaa 3rd lowest run production in baseball! A guy who shouldn't be anything more than a pinch hitter in the cleanup spot!

In all seriousness, they're winning because of two starting pitchers and then having the best outfield defense in the game the other 3 starts. That's great. Fantastic way to construct a team.

But haven't we learned our lesson about sacrificing the future to win now? I mean...that's why we've been so bad the last 5 years. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, there's just this local sentiment that we should be BUY BUY BUY--BUY HOLLIDAY, BUY ON A SS, BUY ANOTHER BAT!--and it's just like...hello?

I want to win now, of course, but we were closer to LAA at this point 2 years ago, and I bet they weren't crushing the ball like they are now. We can "go for it" all we want...doesn't matter if Anaheim keeps knockin' em down.

I do have the utmost confidence in Jack Zduriencik, though. Everything in terms of player personnel that he's done has turned out tremendously. Whatever he does is the right thing.

Taco John
07-23-2009, 05:16 PM
That's right everybody else. We're talking about the Mariners towards the end of July.

That's right. :)

WABronco
07-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Hehe.

And don't get me wrong the transformation from that smoldering wreck of '08 to now is just amazing. To me, they have done the impossible and changed a losing culture in less than a year.

Matter of fact, I just read on the Seattle Times' blog about Washburn talking about how he'd like to stay in Seattle and would welcome an extension. Of course, everyone says that......but only in a good situation. This is the same guy who said straight up he was disappointed that a trade with Minnesota, that would've sent him there for like Boof Bonser or something, didnt go through. That right there tells you all you need to know about the new M's.

Taco John
07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Dewayne Wise with the catch of the year to preserve that perfecto too.

http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=0&season=2009&month=0

Oh yaaaa 3rd lowest run production in baseball! A guy who shouldn't be anything more than a pinch hitter in the cleanup spot!

In all seriousness, they're winning because of two starting pitchers and then having the best outfield defense in the game the other 3 starts. That's great. Fantastic way to construct a team.

But haven't we learned our lesson about sacrificing the future to win now? I mean...that's why we've been so bad the last 5 years. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, there's just this local sentiment that we should be BUY BUY BUY--BUY HOLLIDAY, BUY ON A SS, BUY ANOTHER BAT!--and it's just like...hello?

I want to win now, of course, but we were closer to LAA at this point 2 years ago, and I bet they weren't crushing the ball like they are now. We can "go for it" all we want...doesn't matter if Anaheim keeps knockin' em down.

I do have the utmost confidence in Jack Zduriencik, though. Everything in terms of player personnel that he's done has turned out tremendously. Whatever he does is the right thing.

They're winning games man... What are you going to do? NOT help them out? Have the front office sit on their thumbs when it's looking like they might have a clear shot at the Angels with another good week? And personally, if we fall short, I am still downing Wakamatsu Kool-aid with a two-story beer bong. The guy has been tremendous this season with this roster. I'd like to see the front office give him a real shot at this thing by somehow picking up another bat. Maybe Juan Pierre hitting in the 9-hole or something...

WABronco
07-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Nonono, help them out! Just do it the JackZ way (Buy smart), not the Bavasi way (BUY BUY BUY). I'm just gun-shy.

If Oakland actually covets someone from our system, then by all means, see what it takes to get a Matt Holliday. He's a good bat (still) and not a wreck in left. If that means giving up our top young OF'er in AAA and a few pitchers...well that may make sense. May not. Josh Willingham is another guy who's crushing the ball...he might be cheaper than Holliday in the end.

There's still a few days to go here though. They absolutely have to keep winning series.

Bronco LB52
07-23-2009, 06:16 PM
WABronco

Outside of Michael Saunders, I don't see any particular prospect in the organization that I would be afraid of losing. Saunders isn't as highly regarded as Adam Jones and Chris Tillman when they were dealt.

The Mariners have a lot of toolsy guys like Greg Halman, Carlos Peguero, Tyson Gillies, Mario Martinez, Ezquiel Carrera, Julio Morban, Gabriel Noriega, Juan Diaz, Carlos Triunfel etc., but none of them strike me as players that can't be parted with. They all have their faults.

I do like J.C. Ramirez, Phillippe Aumont and some of their arms in the system, but I don't think any of them will be better than a No. 3 starter. Aumont could be special, but it's hard to consider him a future Ace when he's throwing in the pen.

I wouldn't be gun shy about moving some of the depth to make a run at glory. Keep Saunders though and build around Dustin Ackley. That's a good foundation for the future.

WABronco
07-23-2009, 07:27 PM
WABronco

Outside of Michael Saunders, I don't see any particular prospect in the organization that I would be afraid of losing. Saunders isn't as highly regarded as Adam Jones and Chris Tillman when they were dealt.

The Mariners have a lot of toolsy guys like Greg Halman, Carlos Peguero, Tyson Gillies, Mario Martinez, Ezquiel Carrera, Julio Morban, Gabriel Noriega, Juan Diaz, Carlos Triunfel etc., but none of them strike me as players that can't be parted with. They all have their faults.

I do like J.C. Ramirez, Phillippe Aumont and some of their arms in the system, but I don't think any of them will be better than a No. 3 starter. Aumont could be special, but it's hard to consider him a future Ace when he's throwing in the pen.

I wouldn't be gun shy about moving some of the depth to make a run at glory. Keep Saunders though and build around Dustin Ackley. That's a good foundation for the future.

Yes we don't have upper-tier, ready-for-the-majors talent...but no one was fretting about losing guys like Shin Soo Choo or Asdrubal Cabrera, either.

The whole Aumont thing was kind of puzzling...though it might be a way of controlling his innings. Much debate on that one.

DBroncos4life
07-23-2009, 10:34 PM
who would you rather have Cliff Lee or Roy Holladay given the asking price?

broncocalijohn
07-23-2009, 10:50 PM

Doc! Only thing about him is he doesnt have playoff experience. He is good enough to overcome the lack of that experience. Dude is HOF and can help any team in the playoffs. Twice in a 5er and 3 times possibly in a 7 game series.

24champ
07-23-2009, 10:51 PM

Cliff Lee, cost less and a guarantee he will be around next year. His contract has a club option for 9 million dollars for next year. That's peanuts.

DBroncos4life
07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Doc! Only thing about him is he doesnt have playoff experience. He is good enough to overcome the lack of that experience. Dude is HOF and can help any team in the playoffs. Twice in a 5er and 3 times possibly in a 7 game series.

As a Dodger fan I would rather have Lee if the asking price for Doc means I have to give up Bills or Kershaw plus others. Lee while a step down still is a good pitcher with playoff games under his belt.

WABronco
07-24-2009, 12:04 AM
SERIOUSLY...**** the Angels.

Taco John
07-24-2009, 12:17 AM
SERIOUSLY...**** the Angels.

this.

Requiem
07-24-2009, 12:45 AM
No doubt, actually **** the Twins and overrated Joe Nathan for blowing that ****. I watched all of it and I am still crying.

broncocalijohn
07-24-2009, 11:28 AM
No doubt, actually **** the Twins and overrated Joe Nathan for blowing that ****. I watched all of it and I am still crying.

overrated Nathan? Dude is almost lights out for any team in the 9th inning. Angels are just on fire and they got a break with the slow roller hitting the 2nd base bag to drive in the tying run. Funny story is that I had two tickets left for that game but decided to hang with the family. I left to my office at 10PM last night and as I was driving, I decided that if the Angels tied it up, I was going North on the freeway instead of south. I slowed down to 58 miles per hour and sure enough, they tied it so I drove towards the stadium. Got inside when Morales struck out (and ended his 20 game hitting streak) and then saw Napoli's game winner. Didnt even sit in a seat. I just watched from the walkway. Worth it? Sure was!

Taco John
07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
That didn't make me hate the Angels any less.

TonyR
07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Cards got Matt Holliday.

Taco John
07-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Cards got Matt Holliday.

Wow.

Taco John
07-24-2009, 12:36 PM
You know... That really puts things in perspective for me when a move like that happens. I'd love to see the Mariners take a run at this. But when I look at what the Cards are doing, I come back to reality about how far off we really are. There's always that dog's chance, and that would make for a great story... But wow...

SouthStndJunkie
07-24-2009, 02:19 PM
The Tigers and White Sox were tied for first coming into today and start a 4 game series with a double header this afternoon and evening.

Justin Verlander pitched a complete game and the Tigers won 5-1 in game one of the series. Placido Polanco led the way with 3 hits and 2 RBIs.

Nice to see Carlos Guillen back in the lineup after his shoulder injury.

SouthStndJunkie
07-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Tigers take 2 from the White Sox today....the lead in the division is back to 2 games.

Hogan11
07-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Garrett Jones keep me watchin' and he's showing no signs of slowing down.

Garrett Jones to date: .342, 10 HR's & 17 extra-base hits in only 75 ABs Yikes!

WABronco
07-25-2009, 01:12 AM
If Seattle loses another game in the standings between now and the deadline, there's no way you can rationally justify not selling off a few assets. All it takes is that one ****ty game like tonight, the kind we seem to pull out every few weeks...and LAA keeps on chuggin'.

24champ
07-25-2009, 01:46 AM
If Seattle loses another game in the standings between now and the deadline, there's no way you can rationally justify not selling off a few assets. All it takes is that one ****ty game like tonight, the kind we seem to pull out every few weeks...and LAA keeps on chuggin'.

I'm ready to send you the AA prospect and cash for Washburn. After watching my blue crew tonight, the Dodgers need another arm or two.

Bronco LB52
07-25-2009, 01:05 PM
The Mariners call up outfielder Michael Saunders from Triple-A Tacoma and designate Wladimir Balentien for assignment.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090725&content_id=6050414&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

Requiem
07-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I thought Saunders would be a later call-up, but that's interesting. We'll see how he does. Maybe Wlad, gets moved.

Bronco LB52
07-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I thought Saunders would be a later call-up, but that's interesting. We'll see how he does. Maybe Wlad, gets moved.

Saunders will give the M's more versatility, can play CF.

Wlad is certainly getting dealt. At 25, he still has some value. Some team that is enamored with tool players (Washington Nationals perhaps) is going to trade Seattle a useful veteran (Josh Willingham) to snag Wlad.

WABronco
07-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Exactly.

But ya stick a fork in 'em. 7.5 back now, maybe more by the deadline. What's funny is we can still trade away assets and make the roster as a whole better, so IDK. At least it isn't like previous years where we had a bunch of expensive, worthless veterans up and down the roster. Jack Z's got some pieces to play around with. He can make trades now...like Willingham or maybe for a guy like Reid Brignac...to dramatically improve the roster now and later.

Bedards' value amazingly still in decline. What a ****ing worthless trade that was Bavasi, you cone-headed idiot.

Requiem
07-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Bavasi can kiss my pee-hole. I miss Adam Jones.

SouthStndJunkie
07-25-2009, 08:36 PM
The Tigers scored one in the 9th and one in the 10th to come back and beat the White Sox, 4-3. Carlos Guillen with the game winning hit. He has been off the DL for 3 games and has had clutch hits in all 3 games.

Three wins in a row against the White Sox.

These last 3 games have been awesome.

In danger of relinquishing the division lead, the Tigers were backed into a corner and came out swinging.

I did not expect to win the first 3 games of this series.

Watching Ozzie Guillen pout is very satisfying.

24champ
07-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Dodgers win 4-3. Thanks to a clutch hit by Blake in the 9th!

8')

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2447/3701534712_d91d7b61d0.jpg?v=0

DBroncos4life
07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Dodgers are rumored to be trading for Vic Martinez and Cliff Lee.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9854894/Sources:-Dodgers-in-talks-to-get-Indians

I really don't like the idea of losing Bills or Kershaw.

Karenin
07-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Dodgers win 4-3. Thanks to a clutch hit by Blake in the 9th!

Kemp with a clutch pop out to cinch a 8-6 loss to the Marlins.

DBroncos4life
07-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Ok the Dodgers have been nothing short of amazing in last out one run games to win.

24champ
07-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Dodgers are rumored to be trading for Vic Martinez and Cliff Lee.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9854894/Sources:-Dodgers-in-talks-to-get-Indians

I really don't like the idea of losing Bills or Kershaw.

Kershaw is going to be an elite pitcher, I don't want to lose him for ANYONE.

Billingsley I don't like losing either, but can stomach losing him for Cliff Lee/Vic Martinez.

24champ
07-26-2009, 06:19 PM

Schmidt started. So that explains it. Can't win them all.

Though I saw at Coors field, when I enjoyed watching the Midgets in the process of losing again, they were down 8-0. So Dodgers didn't lay down.

WABronco
07-26-2009, 06:23 PM
"In the wild card era there have been 22 teams with at least an eight-game lead in their division. Only one (95 Angels) did not make the playoffs."

Requiem
07-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Haha, I think we can kiss the playoffs goodbye, homie.

DBroncos4life
07-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Kershaw is going to be an elite pitcher, I don't want to lose him for ANYONE.

Billingsley I don't like losing either, but can stomach losing him for Cliff Lee/Vic Martinez.

What happens with Martin though? I know he played third some very well last year but we have Blake. Does he go to first after we lose Lonely?

24champ
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
What happens with Martin though? I know he played third some very well last year but we have Blake. Does he go to first after we lose Lonely?

I don't think THAT deal happens. It's undegone several revisions by Rosenthal today. That rumored deal sounds like a lateral move to me, but we do get some experience in return.

However I do prefer this low risk deal.

Rumors swirling around Cincinnati have the Dodgers sending Juan Pierre to the Reds for Arthur Rhodes. However, John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer doubts such a deal is pending due to Pierre's salary, and his overall similarity to current Reds outfielder Willy Taveras. Of course, one can envision a bigger package where Taveras comes to L.A. along with Rhodes and, say Bronson Arroyo. Toss in some low-level prospects to Cincy and the money comes out about even. Stay tuned...

Get a reliever in Rhodes and starter in Arroyo. I think that would be a good short term and long term solution.

DBroncos4life
07-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't think THAT deal happens. It's undegone several revisions by Rosenthal today. That rumored deal sounds like a lateral move to me, but we do get some experience in return.

However I do prefer this low risk deal.

Get a reliever in Rhodes and starter in Arroyo. I think that would be a good short term and long term solution.

I hate to lose Pierre but that is just me. Arroyo would be a good pitcher to have though without losing any young guns. That would be the better move to me.

Karenin
07-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Arroyo is terrible. The only reason to trade for him is to get rid of one overpriced sack of crap (pierre) for another.

WABronco
07-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Ya pretty much. Arroyo is not good to have.

Paladin
07-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Go Cards!!!!!

SouthStndJunkie
07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
MLB commissioner Bud Selig appears to be "seriously considering" reinstatement for Pete Rose nearly 20 years after the hit king was banned from baseball for gambling on the sport, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

24champ
07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
The Dodgers have not yet engaged the Seattle Mariners on Jarrod Washburn but could sniff around on Zach Duke, Doug Davis, Jon Garland and Brian Bannister.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsoMpixhg472zobj29Dchvk5nYcB?slug=ti-tradenotes072609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SouthStndJunkie
07-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Tim Lincecum with a complete game and 15 Ks tonight.

What a stud.

Taco John
07-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Lincecum is absolutely sick. It's a true joy to watch the kid pitch. I subscribed to MLB.tv today because I wanted to see this game, and don't want to miss another one for the next two months. He's just fun to watch.

WABronco
07-28-2009, 06:55 PM
You know you're in the ****ter when you have Mike Sweeney hitting 3rd...and Jack Hannahan hitting 5th.

Taco John
07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
This might be Washburn's last game as an M.

SoCalBronco
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Buehrle is about halfway there to a 2nd straight perfect game.

WABronco
07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Ya just noticed that. Wow. Come on Mark.

TheChamp24
07-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Buehrle is about halfway there to a 2nd straight perfect game.

Way to jinx him dumbass! :P

SouthStndJunkie
07-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Coming off the 18th perfect game in major league history, Buehrle retired the first 17 batters to set a record with 45 outs in a row before the Twins rallied for the win.

Buehrle (11-4) lost what would have been his second straight perfect game and his no-hitter with two outs in the sixth. He wound up allowing five runs on five hits in 6 1/3 innings.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Seattle trade piece, minor league catcher Jeff Clement pulled from game. SOMETHIN's BREWIN...

Taco John
07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Seattle trade piece, minor league catcher Jeff Clement pulled from game. SOMETHIN's BREWIN...

You know what... Thing look bleak for this season, but whatever happens, this is an exciting time to be a Mariners fan.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/content/Image/11-20-2008/Wakamatsu.jpg

Pseudofool
07-29-2009, 12:14 AM
You know what... Thing look bleak for this season, but whatever happens, this is an exciting time to be a Mariners fan.

Do you think the M's would trade Bradon Morrow; either now or in the offseason?

Taco John
07-29-2009, 12:20 AM

Good question. Rumor flying around right now is that it might be in the works now... Clement is either being called up or traded (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2009555294_tacomas_jeff_clement_pinch-hit.html).

There have been recent rumors of a three-way trade involving both Clement and Brandon Morrow going to Cleveland, Victor Martinez and Cliff Lee to Tampa, and Scott Kazmir and shortstop Reid Brignac to Seattle.

We could know the answer by tomorrow.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 01:08 AM

Totally. I wouldn't say he's untouchable or anything close. As far as I'm concerned, this is almost like a new headcoach putting in his own system in football. The previous regime's players are viewed as such...

People in the know are feeling like it's not a sell-move, but also not a rental. Didn't expect anything else from Zduriencik.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 01:12 AM

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/content/Image/11-20-2008/Wakamatsu.jpg

AL Executive of the year right there. And manager for the next decade.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Mariners get Jack Wilson and Ian Snell for Jeff Clement and minor league right-handed pitchers Nathan Adcock, Brett Lorin and Aaron Pribanic.

Solid move. Not sexy by any means, but we basically turned a potential AAAA player and few arms into the best defender in the bigs and a guy who could legitimately help us this year and next in the rotation. This could make it easier to move Washburn for better prospects than we gave up, as well.

But, Hogan, you guys didn't get worked here either. If Clement can play 1b, he's a definite lefty masher who could develop into a 25, 30 HR guy. He's got serious pop. And Lorin is a name that lots of the farm guys having been talking up as well. A-ball arms, to be sure, but not garbage 28 year old minor leaguers from the Yankees or something.

Edit-Pitt sent cash, and good thing otherwise it's not so rosy for Seattle.

24champ
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
The Dodgers were planning to make a "hard push" for Lee on Wednesday, according to a major-league source.

The Dodgers are also looking for a starting pitcher but don't have serious interest in Washburn, one major league source said Tuesday.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9866498/MLB-trade-deadline-buzz:-Wednesday%27s-edition

Sounds like it's Cliff Lee or bust.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Sources: Phils reach agreement on Lee — Updated 1:34 p.m.

The Phillies have reached agreement with the Indians on a trade that would bring them left-hander Cliff Lee and outfielder Ben Francisco for Class A right-hander Jason Knapp, Class AAA right-hander Carlos Carrasco, shortstop Jason Donald and catcher Lou Marson, according to major-league sources.

The deal is pending a review of medical records.

Carrasco was scratched from his start for the Class AAA Lehigh IronPigs on Wednesday, and Donald and Marson were not in the lineup. It was not known whether Donald and Marson had scheduled off-days for an 11 a.m. start after a night game.

Talks remain fluid — the Phillies also are talking to the Mariners about left-hander Jarrod Washburn, and the Dodgers planned to make a "hard push" for Lee on Wednesday, according to a source. Full story...

Nice.

JARROD WASHBURN EVERYBODY

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Okay Mariners fans, tell me whatcha think:

Pirates trade Jack Wilson, Ian Snell to Seattle
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ian Snell

Jack WilsonThe Pirates have traded shortstop Jack Wilson, their most tenured and popular player, to the Seattle Mariners, along with starting pitcher Ian Snell, who has recently pitched in the minors.

In return, they received first baseman Jeff Clement, shortstop Ronny Cedeno and right-handed pitchers Aaron Pribanic, Brett Lorin and Nathan Adcock.

The 25-year-old Clement was Seattle's first-round selection (third overall) in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft and was rated by Baseball America as the organization's No. 1 prospect for both 2006 and 2008, the Pirates said in a news release.

Clement hit .288 (107-for-372) with 33 doubles, three triples, 14 home runs, 68 RBI and 65 runs scored while also producing a .505 slugging percentage in 92 games this year with AAA Tacoma of the Pacific Coast League.

Cedeno spent his entire career with the Chicago Cubs organization before being acquired by Seattle in January in a three-player deal. The 26-year-old infielder played in 59 games this year for the Mariners and entered today's action with a .238 career average (259-for-1090) with 39 doubles, nine triples, 18 home runs and 105 RBI in 388 games in parts of five years in the big leagues.

Pribanic went 7-6 with a 3.21 ERA while surrendering one home run in 17 starts for Class A Clinton of the Midwest League this year while being named to the league's mid-season All-Star team.

The 22-year-old right-hander was Seattle's third-round selection (98th overall) in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Lorin, 22, went 5-4 with a 2.44 ERA, 87 strikeouts and just 25 walks in 16 starts this year for Class A Clinton. The 6-foot-7 right-hander was named to this year's Midwest League All-Star team after leading the league with 77 strikeouts at the All-Star break.

Adcock went 5-7 with a 5.29 ERA in 21 games with Class A High Desert of the California League. The 21-year old Adcock was selected by Seattle in the fifth round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft from North Hardin, Ky. High School

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09210/987137-100.stm

WABronco
07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Here's a good link for you Hogan:

http://prospectinsider.com/view/the-clement-trade-is-done/

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Maybe Clement can be salvaged @ 1B. Cedeno is in a terrible slump, but is better than Wilson defensively, both Pribanic & Lorin have some intriguing numbers....all for a defensive SS and an enigmantic, head case RHP?

Coming from the Pirates side of this, I don't feel it's a bad trade at all, even if they had to fork over cash to the M's as well (this I don't know). I'm happy with it. I didn't think Wilson was going to get much and Snell had pretty much burned his bridges, both were expensive as well.

Let's see where they send Sanchez now.....word is, it'll be to the Giants.

Taco John
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I've always heard that Clement is a solid "Russell Martin" type prospect if he can keep his head screwed on straight.

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Here's a good link for you Hogan:

http://prospectinsider.com/view/the-clement-trade-is-done/

Those guys never say any deal is good for the Bucs.

Taco John
07-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I think Jack Wilson is an upgrade over Cedeno for the M's, and Snell gives them flexibility with Morrow and Washburn. I like it.

Taco John
07-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I just wish Garrett Jones was part of the package. :)

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I think Jack Wilson is an upgrade over Cedeno for the M's, and Snell gives them flexibility with Morrow and Washburn. I like it.

Wilson is about the same as Cedeno, all things considered, only more expensive. Snell....well, here's hoping he can produce for you guys, he rarely delivered on all his promise in Pitt.

I just wish Garrett Jones was part of the package. :)

Not even the Bucs are that crazy.

Taco John
07-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I just hope that we're getting set to cut Batista, and a fresh perspective for Snell means a return of his 2007 form. Not likely, but I can't even watch Batista games anymore. My blood pressure shoots through the roof. I could at least start watching that rotation game if Snell were in there.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Ya I doubt Batista will be here past the deadline.

Now we wait and see if someone bowls us over for Washburn...otherwise it sounds like he's staying.

Taco John
07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
The wierd thing about this trade for the M's is that it's not a definitive sign of buying or selling. It's never for the future when you give up that many prospects, but yet no player involved puts the Mariners in that much of a better position.

That tells me that this is the first of a Trader Jack move and Morrow and Washburn - and hell, maybe even Branyan are in play (I mean, if we're selling, his value is at a career high).

Taco John
07-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Trader Jack on the move... Wladimir Balentien Traded to Cincinnati for Robert Manuel (RP)

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_bbo_reds_mariners_trade.html?source=mypi

WABronco
07-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Heh. Was just going to say...they might've just picked up Batista's replacement.

I would say though, Taco, that Snell could definitely be an asset. If he can end up pitching better than the back-end guys we're running out there now, and then when you take a look at the free agent market for SP's...you gotta feel good about it if he can revert to being the '06, '07 model. In my opinion, Snell is an "arm". Jason Vargas...he's not an "arm". Etc.

But ditto on freeing up Morrow for a deal. He still has value and shine, maybe more than Clement. If we can get something decent for him, great, if he stays and works things out then hey another arm for next year's rotation, perhaps.

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Heh. Was just going to say...they might've just picked up Batista's replacement.

I would say though, Taco, that Snell could definitely be an asset. If he can end up pitching better than the back-end guys we're running out there now, and then when you take a look at the free agent market for SP's...you gotta feel good about it if he can revert to being the '06, '07 model. In my opinion, Snell is an "arm". Jason Vargas...he's not an "arm". Etc.

That's a pretty big IF. Hope the M's have a staff psychologist in the clubhouse.

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 02:05 PM
The rumor is Freddy Sanchez and John Grabow to SF, in return for Jesus Guzman, John Bowker & Kevin Frandsen. Just a rumor mind you, the return for Sanchez has had about 10 different players names mentioned involved to this point.

I really don't wanna lose Grabow, but there's no way he's going to resign after the season so.....it's take what you can get time I guess.

Taco John
07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Ryan Rowland-Smith vs. Roy Halladay before the trade deadline. Dear God!

Taco John
07-29-2009, 04:00 PM
That Cliff Lee deal is a big thing for me in my Fantasy Keeper League. We're able to keep two keepers for pitchers, and I have Lincecum, Bedard, Cliff Lee, and Tommy Hanson. I was planning on keeping Lincecum and Tommy Hanson, but if Lee is going to be with the Phillies next season, I think I'll let Hanson go and chase him in the draft.

Taco John
07-29-2009, 04:03 PM

But ditto on freeing up Morrow for a deal. He still has value and shine, maybe more than Clement. If we can get something decent for him, great, if he stays and works things out then hey another arm for next year's rotation, perhaps.

We are of the same mind on all points here. It's an exciting time to be an M's fan. Finally!

SouthStndJunkie
07-29-2009, 04:09 PM
I sure would like to see my Tigers try and add a bat before the deadline.

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Freddy Sanchez to the San Francisco Giants for Class AA pitcher Tim Alderson.

Alderson, a 20-year-old 6-foot-6 right-hander, was the Giants' No. 4 prospect entering this season, according to Baseball America, and that is saying something considering San Francisco's system is highly regarded for pitching. He also was rated No. 9 among all right-handed starting prospects in the game. He was 7-2 with a 3.65 ERA split between Class A and AA so far this year. He was the Giants' first-round pick, 22nd overall, in 2007.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/#ixzz0Mh1hY4pC

WABronco
07-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Just saw that. Ouch, Giants. Alderson I've read was one of their biggest and best trade chips.

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Just saw that. Ouch, Giants. Alderson I've read was one of their biggest and best trade chips.

Almost didn't go down due to Sanchez's bad knees....surprising.

At least they've kept Grabow.......for now anyways.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Ha, Giants fans are pissed. I always like checking out a given teams' blog after a big trade to check out the comments. One guy wants to throw himself down the stairs or something...

http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/7/29/968331/freddy-sanchez-traded-to-the-giants#comments

Hogan11
07-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Ha, Giants fans are pissed. I always like checking out a given teams' blog after a big trade to check out the comments. One guy wants to throw himself down the stairs or something...

http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2009/7/29/968331/freddy-sanchez-traded-to-the-giants#comments

Wha? A deal where the Bucs get the best of it? Unthinkable! ;D

I betcha Insiders will pan the trade as a bad one and a salary dump for the Bucs....it's the same thing everytime, they only change the names of the players as needed ya know.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Not this time, I think. Alderson is a pretty legit prospect.

broncocalijohn
07-29-2009, 09:12 PM
We are of the same mind on all points here. It's an exciting time to be an M's fan. Finally!

Seems to me that they are palying for a run to the end of the season. I say trade Washburn on the cheap to the Angels. I have come around on Washburn with his new pitch. We need a guy that can go deep in the game. Unless they have 2 wild card spots this year, I dont see the Mariners making a run at it. Lots of time left but Texas and the Angels are too tough. My Angels better come up with a plan for another starter or going past the first round might be a pipe dream.

WABronco
07-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Dodgers 'spect Scott Elbert pulled from AAA start. UH OH

Taco John
07-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Dodgers 'spect Scott Elbert pulled from AAA start. UH OH

Juan Pierre and Scott Elbert for Washburn and some prospects?

broncofan2438
07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Man, Dodgers just dont want to win tonight. They are leaving so many men on base. Pitching this series has been the worse all season

WABronco
07-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Juan Pierre and Scott Elbert for Washburn and some prospects?

Hmmm. In my opinion, that would be taking on a little too much money due to Pierre's contract going through 2011, I believe, at like 10 mil a pop. I don't know if we want to be filling an easy power position in LF with a slap hitter like Pierre.