PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler's Blog about the Pro Bowl

cutlerfan
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Jay Cutler's Pro Bowl Journal: Day 1

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=8823

Editor's Note: Throughout this week, Jay Cutler will share his experiences at his first Pro Bowl.

MONDAY, FEB. 2 - DAY 1

KO OLINA, HAWAII - Even though our first AFC team meeting for the Pro Bowl wasn't until Monday night, I arrived in Hawaii on Saturday night to get better adjusted to the time change and get settled in a bit before hitting the field again.

The Ravens' staff will be coaching the AFC team, so I'll be working a lot with Cam Cameron and John Harbaugh. I'm looking forward to the experience and being around guys like Peyton Manning, seeing how he is in the meeting room and on the field, and I'm going to try to soak up everything I can from him. A lot of the players have jokingly called him "The Mayor" around here - I guess that's what happens when you make the Pro Bowl nine times in a row.

Our schedule for the week is pretty light - We have a team meeting each morning and then we bus to Kapolei High School for practice. Tuesday's team meeting is at 8 a.m. and then our first practice starts at 9 a.m. After practices, I'll try to check out the beaches and other sites, get some golf in, and just enjoy being here. Saturday morning, we have a walk-through at Aloha Stadium, which is where the game will be played. Come Sunday, Casey, B-Marshand myself will be ready to go. All three of us are making our first Pro Bowl appearance, so we'll be extra hungry to prove we belong out here. I'm especially happy for Casey finally getting invited to the game after so many years as a first alternate. He deserves it and is playing some of the best football of his career.

It has to be hard for players on the Steelers and Cardinals who flew here on Monday right after playing in the Super Bowl, but any of us would trade places with them in a second. What a game. I watched the Super Bowl from the hotel with Casey (Ihilani Resort in Ko Olina) and up until the final minute it looked my prediction of a Cardinals upset victory was right on. But Big Ben was unbelievable on that last drive. I'm happy for those guys but can't wait for our turn on the big stage.

I got a first-hand look at what a circus Super Bowl week is when I was down in Tampa on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday getting the word out about the "Inspired by Diabetes" campaign I am a part of through Eli Lilly. You can check it out at InspiredbyDiabetes.com - Basically, it is an essay/art contest that provides summer camp scholarships for diabetic kids. Juvenile diabetes is a cause I've been pretty involved in through my foundation since I was diagnosed last year, and I am excited to be a part of this program.

After Wednesday's practice, I am going to spend time with 15 kids with Type I diabetes from the Hawaiian Juvenile Diabetes Group. Their ages range from 5-14. It should be fun. We've got them guest passes to watch our practice, and I'll spend time with them afterwards. Hearing about their struggles is something I can obviously relate to because we're fighting the same battle.

Just getting the taste of how big the Super Bowl is from my time down in Tampa last week is going to help me be prepared for that week when we make it there. Brandon also was down there doing some interviews, so it was a positive for us to be able to see how many distractions there are around the game. You've got to be ready to handle it, and I know it's going to help us when it's our time.

I did a lot of interviews in Tampa and talked quite a bit about the Broncos. It's an exciting time for us. After talking with Coach McDaniels a few days after he was hired, I was fired up and saw why Mr. Bowlen and the front office were so high on him as a coach. I was impressed from the start and texted a few of the guys right after I got off the phone with him. He is a football guy, cares about the game and is high-energy. Players will relate to him and play for him. We'll use a little bit of a different terminology on offense and they'll be pressure on me to make plays, but I like that. He stressed the importance of the coach-quarterback relationship, so I'm definitely looking forward to spending time with him in Denver when I get back from the Pro Bowl.

Conklin
02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
nice read

orinjkrush
02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
good entry, Jay. keep up the good work.

TheDave
02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
No way... according to Terry Frie he doesn't dress the part. The should of cancelled his PB spot.

crowebomber
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
What a joke. This guy sounds just like Jeff George. And the hippie I play handball with doesn't like him either! :wiggle:

In all seriousness, I have no problem with him looking toward Peyton Manning as a role model.

Inkana7
02-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Nice entry there, Jay.

dbfan21
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Awesome!

Popps
02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I was fired up and saw why Mr. Bowlen and the front office were so high on him as a coach. I was impressed from the start and texted a few of the guys right after I got off the phone with him. He is a football guy, cares about the game and is high-energy. Players will relate to him and play for him.

Jay sounds a little uninformed about the situation....

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=75568&highlight=gutless+drunk

tsiguy96
02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
but...but...rock chalk doesnt think he should have the maturity to make changes at the line and make decisions.

GoHAM
02-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Look at Jay, headed down the Jeff George road. When the hell is he going to grow up and get "it"?

Meeting with kids who have Type I diabetes. When are you ever going to learn Jay? This is the NFL! You should be out buying tailored suits and sunglasses. And get a hair cut!

Jay just doesn't get "it". ::)

BroncoBuff
02-03-2009, 03:14 PM
"B-Marshand"?

What's up with that?

BroncoBuff
02-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I arrived in Hawaii on Saturday night to get better adjusted to the time change ...
Maybe it's just me, but travelling west through time zones, I feel great. It's travelling east that kicks my ass.

tsiguy96
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
"B-Marshand"?

What's up with that?

*fights off urge to go find every typo you have ever had on this site*

BroncoBuff
02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
*fights off urge to go find every typo you have ever had on this site*
Is that all, just a typo? That's cool, I thought it was some twist on "B-Marsh." And I'm the last guy you have to defend Jay to.

(And btw, you don't have enough lifetimes to find all my typos).

CEH
02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Cutler should stop being a role model for children living everyday with Type I diabetes and take his career advice from ppl working in the newpaper business. Talk about the Jeff George of content. Thats the newspaper business or maybe he can write two books that only his friends and family are interested in

frerottenextelway
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
cut the bastard.

Paladin
02-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Good read. Juvenile Diabetes is a bit different than the adult form. The kids have a bit more social and emotional pressures in addition to the disease. But then, having a guy like JC talking about the disease and the pain in the butt it is to work to control it, just makes a kid sparkle with appreciation. Good role model for them.

Jay is not a punk. He writes well. Klis can just kiss Spider's ass.

BroncoMan4ever
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
What a joke. This guy sounds just like Jeff George. And the hippie I play handball with doesn't like him either! :wiggle:

In all seriousness, I have no problem with him looking toward Peyton Manning as a role model.

i agree, especially since i believe Jay will be taking the mantle of best QB in the NFL from Peyton in the next couple seasons.

this season he became a good starting franchise QB in the NFL
next season he becomes a top 5 QB and is mentioned as elite
in the year or 2 after, he becomes known as the best in the league.

that's how i see his career going.

tsiguy96
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
i agree, especially since i believe Jay will be taking the mantle of best QB in the NFL from Peyton in the next couple seasons.

this season he became a good starting franchise QB in the NFL
next season he becomes a top 5 QB and is mentioned as elite
in the year or 2 after, he becomes known as the best in the league.

that's how i see his career going.

elite QBs rarely make mistakes. mobile QBs who can make a play happen are rarely elite (elway made quite a few mistakes in his time, but could always get his team out of it just as easy). brett favre i dont classify as elite because he threw so many duck and throw balls in his career, elite QBs dont do that. hes tough as nails, but there was always a QB or two id rather have over him in the league

chaz
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
ya this completely puts frei's article to shiit. Cutler is the man, maybe not a conventional peyton manning or dan marino personality but he's the man and I have full faith he can handle the role. He's gonna be absolutely unreal after a couple years in the new offense.

chaz
02-03-2009, 05:09 PM
No way... according to Terry Frie he doesn't dress the part. The should of cancelled his PB spot.

:thumbsup: :spit:

as for his style, I think it is just a generation gap between Jay and his critics. I'm 20 and see nothing wrong with his wardrobe. Very similar to what a lot of folks our age are wearing

Hamrob
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Great read. Does anybody really believe he wrote it though? Sure it's not somebody from his foundation or the Broncos Organization? Certainly what you want to hear from him...that's for sure.

worm
02-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Great read. Does anybody really believe he wrote it though? Sure it's not somebody from his foundation or the Broncos Organization? Certainly what you want to hear from him...that's for sure.

Oh noes! Jay blog-synchs!!!

Cut him!

Inkana7
02-03-2009, 06:14 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the guys who write for the Team site (Dumervil, Torain and Nate Jackson especially) do it all themselves. They might have someone fix it up, but it's their words.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
someone get the queer guys for the straight guy people over here asap.
THIS IS THE NFL NOW GO OUT AND BLOW YA WAD ON SOME SUITS AND STUFF forget those brats let em suffer and for the love of god get a hair cut. we want a pretty boy qb like jake plummer now did that guy know how to dress or what and his behavior off the field now that was fantastic. we need to make jake plummer the qb coach and Terry Frei fashion consultant bowlen you bastard you go hire those two right now give them whatever money they want

HEAV
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm looking forward to the experience and being around guys like Peyton Manning, seeing how he is in the meeting room and on the field, and I'm going to try to soak up everything I can from him.

Finally the kid gets it!

BroncoMan4ever
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
elite QBs rarely make mistakes. mobile QBs who can make a play happen are rarely elite (elway made quite a few mistakes in his time, but could always get his team out of it just as easy). brett favre i dont classify as elite because he threw so many duck and throw balls in his career, elite QBs dont do that. hes tough as nails, but there was always a QB or two id rather have over him in the league

Jay is a good running game away from being elite and cutting his mistakes in half.

and i don't count gambles as mistakes. guys like Elway, Favre and Cutler have the ability to make throws other QB's could only dream of, but it occasionally turns out bad as some gambles tend to. and when you consider the amount of mistakes that happen to these "elite" QB's, compared to the incredible plays their risk taking creates, it is more than worth it.

Paladin
02-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Jay is a risk taker, alright. High risk, high reward potential. It's a brand of football I think is exciting. Now, the D has to get better, for sure, but the O will get me to buy a ticket.....

cmhargrove
02-04-2009, 06:38 AM
The excitement about McD is a breath of fresh air.

If Cutler is already on the bandwagon, that's a great start. I can't wait to see "our guys" play again this weekend.

TheReverend
02-04-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm looking forward to the experience and being around guys like Peyton Manning, seeing how he is in the meeting room and on the field, and I'm going to try to soak up everything I can from him.

Finally the kid gets it!

Why would you say finally?

What opportunity has he had like this that he's shunned, then, Heav?

Hogan11
02-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Pretty much an inconsequential piece, albeit a positive one. Nothing we haven't heard from him before....meeting with kids, likes McDaniels, can't wait to get started, etc. etc. etc.

I just hope he plays well in this thing. It'd be nice to see him get the MVP.

crowebomber
02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Jay Cutler's Pro Bowl Journal: Day 2

Editor's Note: Throughout this week, Jay Cutler (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5907) will share his experiences at his first Pro Bowl.
TUESDAY, FEB. 3 - DAY 2
KO OLINA, HAWAII - My first day of practice began with an omelet and a playbook.
They have an unbelievable and expensive breakfast buffet at the hotel we are staying at, so I grabbed an omelet and some juice and sat with Casey (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8565) around 7:30. The table we were at was on a deck overlooking a pond with small hammerhead sharks swimming around. Just unbelievable. We started flipping through the playbook to see what kinds of things we are going to be doing on Sunday. I guess some of the plays are similar to what the Ravens do but obviously scaled down. It’s going to be fun, and we’ll open things up a bit.
We changed into our practice uniforms at this makeshift locker room, really just a ballroom, at the hotel, and bused about 15 minutes to the high school for practice. I felt like I was back in high school riding over dressed for practice – It was fun. There were probably 50 fans or so waiting by the gates when our buses pulled in, so the natives were ready to go. I thought about how someone told me the Pro Bowl TV ratings are better than most other sports’ big regular season and playoff ratings, and I absolutely can see why. Even in a place like this, with so many other things to do, people still love their football.
Practice started around 9 a.m. and went about an hour. It was windy but I think I threw pretty well. I was a little rusty – dropped a snap and had a lot of guys give me a hard time about it – but I definitely wasn’t the only one who struggled. It was amazing to line up and see the talent we have out here. It’s pretty easy to blend right in, and that’s fine with me. There are some positions, like the offensive line, where guys are playing on a different side than they did with their teams during the year. Kris Dielman of the Chargers joked with me that our line could be in trouble because there are so many left guards and no true right guards, but I don’t buy it at all. The pass protection with players of this caliber will be just fine. Cam (Cameron) pretty much ran our whole practice offensively. About 15 minutes until it, the kids from the high school got a little break from school and filled out the stands. Not a bad deal for them.
When we got back to the hotel, we just got some lunch and took it easy and hung out by the pool for the day. Very low key. I thought about going to North Shore to check out the beach, but Shane Lechler suggested we go Wednesday because there are going to be better waves. It should be fun, so I’ll keep you updated.
I hung out a lot with the offensive linemen, Kris Dielman with the Chargers and Nick Mangold, a center for the Jets. Great guys and obviously unbelievable football players. Nick and I were both drafted together in 2006 – He was taken 29th and I went 11th. We talked about a lot of the guys from our draft class and how they’ve done in the league. It was a pretty good draft class for the guys from Ohio State, like Nick, and they had a few players taken in the first round that year, including A.J. Hawk. I was joking with Nick that they look exactly like each other. Also spent time swapping stories with Steve Hutchinson of the Vikings. Peyton (Manning) must have seen me talking to the linemen and came in and asked those guys if their quarterbacks took care of them at the end of the year with gifts. You gotta take care of your linemen for taking care of you. Told him my guys back in Denver had nothing to worry about – Proud to tell him that I brought in a tailor right to the facility and had them fitted for suits this year. Not sure what I’ll do next year to show my appreciation for everything they do. Maybe real nice overcoats for those Denver winters.
I knew something was up when Dielman and Nick asked me for my phone when we were standing by the pool. I didn’t think anything of it, foolishly, and being a Pro Bowl rookie, I gave it to them. As soon as they got it, they pushed me right into the pool, shirt and sunglasses and everything. They had a pretty good time with it. Rookie initiation. Thanks guys.
After I changed, I got to spend some time with little Wes Welker of the Patriots. We had a good time joking around. He had (quarterback) Kliff Kingsbury with him as a guest - Kliff was his quarterback at Texas Tech and had a brief stint with the Broncos a few years ago before I got there (2005). I busted Wes’ chops a lot for running the same type of routes during the season, but he must be doing something right to have over 100 catches for the second year in a row. He’s a lot like Eddie (Royal). Kliff and I talked a little about how well we think Jeremy Bates is going to do at USC as offensive coordinator. Batesy also was his position coach when he played for the Jets.
Also got to meet Archie Manning for the first time on Tuesday. That was pretty cool. Talk about a quarterback family. At one point, it was Archie, Peyton, Eli and myself talking. All SEC guys.
Wednesday is going to be a big day. We’ve got the diabetes kids coming out to practice, and I’m looking forward to visiting with them after. A lot of guys are doing good things in the community out here during the day. B-Marsh (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5909) went over to this military facility for a few hours on Tuesday. Rumor has it, he crashed a flight simulator, but you didn’t hear that from me. Either way, I know he had a great time over there.

Dagmar
02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Rumor has it, he crashed a flight simulator, but you didnít hear that from me.

Cut him!

Inkana7
02-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Dude that is so awesome. Sounds like Jay is having an unbelieveable time.

broncocalijohn
02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I am surprised Cutlerfan didnt tell us that he was going to Hawaii and will see Jay so he needs some questions from us to ask him and then totally excuse all questions and give us some bland responses. That is what I want!

Beantown Bronco
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Wednesday is going to be a big day. Weíve got the diabetes kids coming out to practice, and Iím looking forward to visiting with them after.

Hope none of them thinks they can cut into the autograph line just because they have The Beetus.

2KBack
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I would very much like Cutler to become good friends with the Mannings

Don Flamenco
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Hell, you could interchange 'Jeremy Shockey' for 'Jay Cutler', and the blog would nearly maintain its full meaning.

-The OrangeMane

Irish Stout
02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I'll never forgive Jay for not coming to my halloween party.

Kaylore
02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I hung out a lot with the offensive linemen, Kris Dielman with the Chargers and Nick Mangold, a center for the Jets. Great guys and obviously unbelievable football players. Nick and I were both drafted together in 2006 Ė He was taken 29th and I went 11th. We talked about a lot of the guys from our draft class and how theyíve done in the league. It was a pretty good draft class for the guys from Ohio State, like Nick, and they had a few players taken in the first round that year, including A.J. Hawk. I was joking with Nick that they look exactly like each other. Also spent time swapping stories with Steve Hutchinson of the Vikings. Peyton (Manning) must have seen me talking to the linemen and came in and asked those guys if their quarterbacks took care of them at the end of the year with gifts. You gotta take care of your linemen for taking care of you. Told him my guys back in Denver had nothing to worry about Ė Proud to tell him that I brought in a tailor right to the facility and had them fitted for suits this year. Not sure what Iíll do next year to show my appreciation for everything they do. Maybe real nice overcoats for those Denver winters.
And people say he's Jeff George??!?! Cutler has done stuff like this every year since he was drafted.

USMCBladerunner
02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
so much for the "you don't believe he's writing this stuff" angle

too bad River's isn't there (and yes, he should be)...that would be fun to read about

dbfan21
02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
This is the best blog db.com has ever had. Great stuff! Jay's the man!!!

*WARHORSE*
02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Kapolei High School is only a few minutes away from Koolina. My sister lives there and we all hang at Koolina whenever we take the little rugrats out to swim. They have some nice tide pools there and Koolina is stunning.

Theres a new Disney resort in the works for Koolina as well, and Im wondering if they might bring back the pro bowl for good once thats in place. I cant stand the pro bowl going somewhere else.

Hawaii No Ka Oi !!

HEAV
02-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Rumor has it, he crashed a flight simulator, but you didnít hear that from me.

As long as it was a simulation.

TheReverend
02-05-2009, 06:21 AM
As long as it was a simulation.

What tipped you off? The word "simulator"?

cutthemdown
02-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Why would you say finally?

What opportunity has he had like this that he's shunned, then, Heav?

Well the whole I'm as good as Elway thing sort of had us worried. I'm surprised Cutler didn't say I have offered to let Manning watch me and see how I do things, maybe he can learn something. :rofl:

Hogan11
02-05-2009, 06:45 AM
I understand most of the players are upset that this is the last year the Pro Bowl is being played in Hawaii. I read something where even the killer himself (Ray Lewis) and that creep Clinton Portis went so far as to say they wouldn't play in next years game because of it.

Makes you wonder, if many of the top stars of the league, along with those playing in the Super Bowl, don't bother to show, will they move the game back to Hawaii, keep it after the Super Bowl or just get rid of it altogether?

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 06:57 AM
I understand most of the players are upset that this is the last year the Pro Bowl is being played in Hawaii. I read something where even the killer himself (Ray Lewis) and that creep Clinton Portis went so far as to say they wouldn't play in next years game because of it.

Makes you wonder, if many of the top stars of the league, along with those playing in the Super Bowl, don't bother to show, will they move the game back to Hawaii, keep it after the Super Bowl or just get rid of it altogether?

Well it might be back there if the moving around thing doesn't work out. I have trouble seeing how the pro-bowl would be as cool in a place like Cleveland. However if the pro-bowl came to Denver I would probably be at every practice, so maybe it's a good idea. We'll have to see.

frerottenextelway
02-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Well it might be back there if the moving around thing doesn't work out. I have trouble seeing how the pro-bowl would be as cool in a place like Cleveland. However if the pro-bowl came to Denver I would probably be at every practice, so maybe it's a good idea. We'll have to see.

Starting next year, the Pro Bowl is being played in the same place that hosts the SB, meaning it will never be in Cleveland or Denver.

Hogan11
02-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Wish I could find the story, but I'm having trouble locating it. Basically, the players really like the Hawaiian vacation at the end of the year and have no desire to go places like FLA that they normally go to during the season. That and the fact that no players from the Super Bowl teams would be playing in it, gives them the "What's the point" type of attitude.

Only Peyton Manning said he would continue to play in it under the new arrangement, but if the Colts go back to the Super Bowl, you can cross him out too. Bottom line, the NFL wanted to make the game more meaningful and less of a let down after the Super Bowl with the changes and all they really did was piss off the players and make the game so even less players want to play in it.

Way to go ::)

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Wish I could find the story, but I'm having trouble locating it. Basically, the players really like the Hawaiian vacation at the end of the year and have no desire to go places like FLA that they normally go to during the season. That and the fact that no players from the Super Bowl teams would be playing in it, gives them the "What's the point" type of attitude.

Only Peyton Manning said he would continue to play in it under the new arrangement, but if the Colts go back to the Super Bowl, you can cross him out too. Bottom line, the NFL wanted to make the game more meaningful and less of a let down after the Super Bowl with the changes and all they really did was piss off the players and make the game so even less players want to play in it.

Way to go ::)

That's pretty lame. How is having the pro-bowl played before the Super Bowl make it "even more meaningful" anyway?

Hogan11
02-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Found it

http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2009/02/05/sports/doc4989dc0c961a6705423100.txt

Pro Bowlers unhappy game is being moved from Hawaii to mainland
By The Associated Press
Thursday, February 05, 2009 | No comments posted.

Font Size: Shrink Font Enlarge Font | KAPOLEI, Hawaii — As Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis casually chatted at their posh oceanside resort, the discussion quickly turned to how much they’ll miss Hawaii.

The Pro Bowl is bidding aloha to the islands after Sunday’s game following a 30-year run.

Next year’s Pro Bowl will be played in Miami a week before the Super Bowl. The location after that remains uncertain.

One thing is clear, many of the NFL’s top stars are unsure about the Pro Bowl being shipped to the mainland.

“I just think you take away from everything the Pro Bowl means,” Lewis said Tuesday. “I don’t understand it all.”

The Baltimore Ravens linebacker, who played college football at the University of Miami, said he would “probably not” play next year’s game if selected.

Lewis, making his 10th Pro Bowl trip, said many players live or visit Florida often, so playing there wouldn’t necessarily be a reward.

“That’s no vacation,” he said. “That’s what we regularly do. You don’t want to go to the Pro Bowl and do what you regularly do. You want to come over and do something different. You want to tour the islands and bring the kids over here to see something different.”

The NFL has been looking to increase the profile of the game.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, had called the Pro Bowl “a somewhat anticlimactic” ending to the season.

Houston receiver Andre Johnson said all the players love coming to Hawaii.

“When you think of the Pro Bowl, you think of Hawaii,” he said. “But then again, it’s a change that was made and all you can do is roll with it.”

The Pro Bowl could end up rotating between Hawaii and the mainland.

The state has paid the NFL an average of $4 million a game under their expiring five-year contract to host the game. The Hawaii Tourism Authority and the NFL are in negotiations for Honolulu to host future games.

The Pro Bowl hasn’t been played on the mainland since the 1979 game in Los Angeles where Minnesota receiver Ahmad Rashad was the game’s MVP.

Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis, another University of Miami standout, said there’s no question where the players would rather end the year.

“This place is much better. You can go to Miami all the time,” he said.

In Hawaii, the players and their families stay at a secluded hotel on the Leeward Coast of Oahu, an hour’s drive away from the bustle of Waikiki. After practice, they lounge by the pool, swim in the lagoons and or go next door to play 18 holes of golf.

Portis said in Miami, “there’s too much to get into,” especially with places like South Beach and Fort Lauderdale.

“There’s going to be people getting DUIs, people getting suspended, so I think coming out here is much nicer,” he said. “(Being in Miami), I don’t think it will have the same feel. They don’t have any leis in Miami. They don’t have flower shorts to walk around in.”

Some players feel the Pro Bowl could lose some luster by not having Super Bowl players participating in the game, since they’ll be busy preparing for the big game.

“It would be interesting to see how many people actually go and participate in Miami next year,” Minnesota defensive end Jared Allen said. “For me, I like coming over here.”

Manning said one of his best weeks of his life was coming to Hawaii after leading the Indianapolis Colts to the Super Bowl win in 2006.

“There’s no better week to be over here than after you won a Super Bowl,” he said.

The nine-time Pro Bowl selection said swapping weeks and cities is like changing coaches.

“If something is good, why do you want to change it?” he said. “I don’t know what the economic factors are that come into play, but I know the times I’ve come over here, it’s a special week.”

Manning said tropical Miami is one thing, but he’s curious about 2012 when his city hosts the Super Bowl.

“I’m not sure that’s necessarily a reward to come to Indianapolis in February,” he said.

Whatever city the Pro Bowl is in, Manning said he’ll play. And he hopes to make it three years from now.

“I would almost be out of eligibility. That’s getting up there for me,” he joked.

jonny1
02-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Well the whole I'm as good as Elway thing sort of had us worried. I'm surprised Cutler didn't say I have offered to let Manning watch me and see how I do things, maybe he can learn something. :rofl:

Can we finally put an end to this?

He NEVER said he was as good as Elway, only that he had a stronger arm. That's like saying, "I'm taller than John . . . " and being blasted for it for years.

Sheesh . . . .

Nemesis
02-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Instead of playing the Pro Bowl at the Super Bowl sight why don’t they just have them play it internationally? At least then you don’t have to worry if your team losses a home game because the NFL wants to place it in London or Japan. It’s a win-win situation, the NFL gets the exposure of having the best players playing internationally and that players get a vacation.

2KBack
02-05-2009, 08:24 AM
can you imnagine being one of those borderline players who make the probowl once in their career, but it happens to be the year it's in Texas or something? Instead of a week in a tropical paradise eating exotic foods and fruity drinks, you essentially get a family road trip to the desert.

cutthemdown
02-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Can we finally put an end to this?

He NEVER said he was as good as Elway, only that he had a stronger arm. That's like saying, "I'm taller than John . . . " and being blasted for it for years.

Sheesh . . . .

LOL I know what he said, don't get your panties in a twist.8')

CEH
02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11630573

Cutler said hold on, here. Collins is 36, a 14-year NFL veteran invited to only his second Pro Bowl. Cutler insisted Collins play ahead of him.

"I thought it was a real nice gesture on his part," Collins said. "And I said to him, 'You were voted ahead of me and you should go.' And he said, 'No, no.' It was respectful, and I really appreciated it. I've enjoyed getting to know him. He's definitely a good guy to hang with."

jonny1
02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
LOL I know what he said, don't get your panties in a twist.8')

I wear boxers . . . . :redpunch:

:kiss:

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8825
Jay Cutler's Pro Bowl Journal: Day 3

Editor's Note: Throughout this week, Jay Cutler will share his experiences at his first Pro Bowl.

WEDNESDAY, FEB. 4 - DAY 3

KO OLINA, HAWAII - Iíve got to start this update with a big thank you to Flip and the rest of the guys in the equipment department back in Denver. They sent a huge box of Broncos gear for me that was in my hotel room when I got in. Iíve talked to a few other players, and no oneís team sent them the amount of gear that I got from our equipment staff. So thanks for looking out for me, guys.

Thatís one of the best things about the Pro Bowl Ė- all the free stuff. Bags from Reebok, Nike and the league Ė- which also gave us a pretty nice watch. I honestly donít know how they are going to let me get on the plane home. I already had too many bags when I came out here because I traveled right from Tampa, and now this is getting out of control. The bag we got from Nike seriously had about 50 items in it, including almost every Tiger Woods shirt that was ever made.

Our hotel was much more crowded today with all of the playersí families getting into town. I met Caseyís parents, along with his wifeís parents, at breakfast in the morning. It seems like everyone has a travel story about getting out here. Hack (Darrell Hackney) is actually out here as a guest of Roddy White (Falcons wide receiver), who brought some of the guys who played with him at UAB. Hackís flight came in from Dallas, where it was delayed six hours. Donít feel sorry for him, though.

This place will be Broncos West later today. Clady, Eddie Royal and Tony Scheffler are all flying in. Thatís six offensive starters here from Denver Ė- more than half of the starting offense. Iím excited for those guys and know that they will be as wide-eyed around here as I am. It will be a good thing for them to get a preview of the Pro Bowl for when they get voted into this game next year. Looking forward to hanging out with them, and itís cool that theyíre going to share the experience with me.

Practice went really well Ė- we had the later practice with the NFC going first, so we started at 10:30 and went for a little over an hour. I went through our play script in the morning, and we started doing more full-team work. Just seeing the talent on our defense is giving me a good idea of what Iím in for on Sunday against the other guys. Terrell Suggs (Ravens linebacker) was all over the place, flying around, making interceptions, lateraling the ball to his teammates. Thatís the only way he knows how to play.

I had all my kids from the Hawaiian Juvenile Diabetes Group at practice, and thatís been one of the highlights of the trip. It was nice seeing some Broncos jerseys around here. After we finished practice, I hung out with them for a while, signed some stuff, took pictures and swapped stories about this disease with both the kids and their parents about what we go through each day. B-Marsh was nice enough to come over and say whatís up to the kids as well.

All of the kids are amazing, and they all have their own stories. We speak the same language with diabetes and just can relate really well, no matter how young they are. It was impressive to see these young kids being so educated about what their pumps, blood sugar readings and just what they have to do to take care of themselves. The first thing I asked the group when I got over there was, "How old were you when you were diagnosed?" I can remember answers coming in from all over. Three. Four. Six. Seven. 10 years old. Theyíre much younger than I was when I found out, but itís the same type of deal for us. A parent of one of the kids asked me what my blood sugar level was when I was first diagnosed, and when I told them how out of wack that initial reading was, it seemed like the whole group just collectively gasped. That really hammered it home. Vic Lombardi from Channel 4 in Denver was out here, and I think he is going to run a story on the kids on Sunday night, so youíll have to check it out to learn more about them.

I spent most of the day at the exact same table by the pool that I was at yesterday and just enjoyed being around the rest of the guys. (Kris) Dielman (Chargers guard) came over during lunch and hung out. Got to meet his family members and they were real cool. A few of the Pro Bowl veteran players were asking me about John Lynch and what heís been up to. Steve Hutchinson (Vikings guard) said he really liked hanging out with him in Hawaii. Peyton Manning (Colts quarterback) called Johnny his "Deputy Mayor" of Hawaii, which I guess is quite an honor coming from Peyton. Drew Brees (Saints quarterback) and I talked for a while about our offenses and the different types of things that we do along with the different formations that we use. His offense in New Orleans was one of the best in the NFL last season.

Peyton does a great job setting the tone out here. Everyone works so hard during the season, and itís so intense, but now you can kind of flip a switch and just relax. Most players are just by the pool and beach all day with their families and friends.

At night we took a shuttle to a huge Luau. There were probably over 1,000 people there Ė- players, families, sponsors and people from the league. Pretty cool thing to see. A lot of Brandonís friends and family got in earlier in the day, so they were all there having a good time. After that, I just went back to the hotel, grabbed some dinner and called it an early night.

The goal for today is to actually leave the hotel pool after practice, but weíll see. It could be difficult. Iím planning to go to Waikiki later on when Clady, Eddie and Tony get in. They are staying over there, and itís about a half hour from our hotel. It should be a good time having the whole group from Denver out here.

Kaylore
02-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Hanging out with his playmakers! Cutler knows that building chemistry starts with getting a relationship where you're doing for your teammates and building camaraderie like that will only help the team chemistry.

crowebomber
02-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Marshall's family is in town? Does anyone know how to contact the hotel and ask them to please remove the TV from Brandon's room?

Inkana7
02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I honestly don’t know how they are going to let me get on the plane home. I already had too many bags when I came out here because I traveled right from Tampa, and now this is getting out of control. The bag we got from Nike seriously had about 50 items in it, including almost every Tiger Woods shirt that was ever made.
Hilarious!

HEAV
02-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Marshall's family is in town? Does anyone know how to contact the hotel and ask them to please remove the TV from Brandon's room?

Oh no he didn't! ROFL!

chaz
02-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm becoming more and more convinced Jay is the unquestioned leader of the Broncos, and well-liked at that. He might be intense on gameday but I think fans look at that the wrong way. Glad to hear he is having a great time, should be blast once the guys get in!

ludo21
02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Any other players doing a blog for the fans?

This is cool that JC is doing this (even if forced to)

BroncoMan4ever
02-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm becoming more and more convinced Jay is the unquestioned leader of the Broncos, and well-liked at that. He might be intense on gameday but I think fans look at that the wrong way. Glad to hear he is having a great time, should be blast once the guys get in!

he gets a bad rep for his gameday actions. Peyton Manning screams at teammates, questions the refs and does the same things Jay does. almost all QB's do the same thing, and that is a leaders job. he is out there doing what is best for the team and trying to get the best out of his teammates.

qnpd
02-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Instead of playing the Pro Bowl at the Super Bowl sight why donít they just have them play it internationally? At least then you donít have to worry if your team losses a home game because the NFL wants to place it in London or Japan. Itís a win-win situation, the NFL gets the exposure of having the best players playing internationally and that players get a vacation.

this.

crowebomber
02-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Jay Cutler's Pro Bowl Journal: Day 4

Editor's Note: Throughout this week, Jay Cutler (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5907) will share his experiences at his first Pro Bowl.
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 5 - DAY 4
KO OLINA, HAWAII - The goal was to leave the table by the pool after we finished our practice, and I succeeded.
I spent most of the afternoon about a few hundred yards from that table at the lagoon at our hotel. Hung out there for a while, got a nap in and even read a little. It was really sunny for the first time since we’ve been here, so there were a lot of people on this little beach. Everyone was having a good time. The water down there was so clear - Troy Polamalu (Steelers safety) and some of the other guys got some snorkeling in.
A lot of the players who were in the Super Bowl were here today. I talked to Kurt Warner (Cardinals quarterback) for a little. It was good to see him and his team have such a good year. He mentioned how those guys knew that people were giving them no chance to do much of anything in the playoffs, and they were able to put together a pretty good run. I also hung out with the Manning brothers and Wes Welker, who I gave a pretty hard time for his snow angel celebration earlier this year.
Practice was light today, and afterwards, myself and some of the other players did this commercial for Nike that is going to run on its Web site. They asked me a bunch of general questions about playing quarterback and some of my favorite memories. I told them my favorite high school and college memories both came in my final game –- winning the state championship in Indiana for high school on a flee flicker and beating Tennessee in Knoxville for college as a senior.
Also signed some stuff for the people with the NFL for its auction. Andre Johnson of the Texans was in there signing his gear when I had to sign. You wouldn’t believe how many mini helmets, jerseys and pictures they were able to fit in this little room.
We went down to Waikiki at night to grab dinner with Ryan (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8653), Eddie (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8656) and Tony (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5908). Those guys made it in OK – Eddie slept the whole flight out here, he said. It was good hearing what they’ve been up to and catching up. Ryan has been back in California since the season ended, and Eddie and Tony have been working out in Denver. I also saw Marquand Manuel (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8534) when we were in Waikiki. He is out here doing some youth football clinics and flies to different islands each day. Not a bad gig for him. It’s ridiculous how many Broncos or people with ties to us are out here. Add Calvin Lowry, who played safety for us early last season, to the list. He is here as a guest of Cortland Finnegan (Titans cornerback).
Waikiki was pretty lively with all the different shops and so many people out. It’s a cool area and real modern. The pace is much different than it is by our hotel, where everyone seems to be moving in slow motion. Today is team picture day after practice. We are going to practice right at the hotel instead of busing to the high school, so I’ll let you know how that goes.

crowebomber
02-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Jay Cutler's Pro Bowl Journal: Day 7

SUNDAY, FEB. 8 - DAY 7
KO OLINA, HAWAII - My first Pro Bowl is under my belt.
The game went OK –- it was so hot down there on the field and probably also six rows up behind our bench where Ryan (Clady) (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8653), Eddie (Royal) (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8656) and Tony (Scheffler) (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5908) were sitting. I went in there in the fourth quarter after Peyton (Manning) and Kerry (Collins) had played.
The pass rush picked up quite a bit when I got in. We got a touchdown on the first drive when I rolled the ball between the legs of Le’Ron McClain and he picked it up and took it in. There was some confusion early on the play getting it going, but it turned out pretty well. Couldn’t get much going on the final two drives though.
It was a great experience being around everyone for the week. After the game, there was this little reception right on the water at our hotel. Fireworks, the whole deal.
Nnamdi Asomugha came up to me and told me it was the first of many Pro Bowls for me. That was cool of him to say, and the same is true for him. Andy Reid of the Eagles stopped by my table and said hi.
I had heard people talking all week about how everyone sings karaoke the Sunday night after the game, so I was kind of waiting around for that to start. It was hilarious. I got coaxed into singing some Garth Brooks ("Friends in Low Places") with Peyton (Manning) and Jake (Long). We got it done.
Today is going to be a beach day before we fly back to Denver around midnight. Most people are checking out earlier in the day. Going to do my best to enjoy the last bit of Hawaii before heading home.