PDA

View Full Version : only a 1 yard penalty for this...

Gort
02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/whbja8.gif

maybe the commissioner will suspend him 4 games to start the 2009 season. oh wait, he's a Steeler... yeah, that won't happen.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/whbja8.gif

maybe the commissioner will suspend him 4 games to start the 2009 season. oh wait, he's a Steeler... yeah, that won't happen.

4 games? Right. Its football, we've seen worse...it doesnt warrant a suspension

Gort
02-02-2009, 05:09 PM

and what did Brandon Marshall do to deserve a suspension last year? they tried to sideline him for 3 games last year.

Inkana7
02-02-2009, 05:09 PM
What a thug.

Popps
02-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I can't wait for our defense to be that nasty.

Inkana7
02-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I can't wait for our defense to be that nasty.

Dude, it's Aaron Fransisco. That's like kicking a puppy.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-02-2009, 05:17 PM
I heard an interesting proposal on Sirius... not regarding this particular play, but the general lack of consequence when the penalty is "half the distance to the goal line." Instead of backing up 6 inches, move the chains forward to the full extent of the penalty. Make it first and 25 from the 1. This would be a great rule change.

GoHAM
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I heard an interesting proposal on Sirius... not regarding this particular play, but the general lack of consequence when the penalty is "half the distance to the goal line." Instead of backing up 6 inches, move the chains forward to the full extent of the penalty. Make it first and 25 from the 1. This would be a great rule change.

I like this idea.

boltaneer
02-02-2009, 05:22 PM

I like it.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2009, 05:27 PM

So lets say there's a personal foul on the 12...you'd move it back to the six and move the chains up 9 yards?

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
and what did Brandon Marshall do to deserve a suspension last year? they tried to sideline him for 3 games last year.

Nope, didnt agree with that either...but thats more in line with what they've been suspending people for...questionable behavior off the field

ZONA
02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
It really looks worse then what it was. He really pulled back on the blow to the back. The one handed push was a legal block. It was not in the face, he didn't use a closed fist, he wasn't holding. The only thing wrong I could see is when he was pushing down on his back. I could see that getting the penalty for essentially blocking in the back. But there is no way that deserves a suspension of any kind. It's football man. It's physical. Francisco should have not just stayed there and bending over like a bitch. Get up and get physical back. Heck, lunge forward and go into his knees. Do something. Don't just be a bitch.

broncosteven
02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Anyone else remember Mean Joe Green punching Paul Howard (I think) in the nuts near the 2nd quarter of the divisonal round in 1977? I think he did it to him the 1st time they met in the regular season also.

Funny but not only do they have a history of winning SB's but of DLinemen taking cheap shots.

chaz
02-02-2009, 05:34 PM
So lets say there's a personal foul on the 12...you'd move it back to the six and move the chains up 9 yards?

this makes the most sense, but would maybe be classified as over-complicated. I think he meant it would be first and 25 from the 12...but i could have read it wrong.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-02-2009, 05:53 PM

No... I think it would be first and 25 from the 12. Essentially eliminate the "half the distance to the goal" penalty. Maybe you could give the option to take either/or, but combining the two would be a little too complex.

chaz
02-02-2009, 06:14 PM
and for the record...harrison is a chump bittch. only a coward hits someone when they're down and don't see it coming.

ohiobronco2
02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
It really looks worse then what it was. He really pulled back on the blow to the back. The one handed push was a legal block. It was not in the face, he didn't use a closed fist, he wasn't holding. The only thing wrong I could see is when he was pushing down on his back. I could see that getting the penalty for essentially blocking in the back. But there is no way that deserves a suspension of any kind. It's football man. It's physical. Francisco should have not just stayed there and bending over like a b****. Get up and get physical back. Heck, lunge forward and go into his knees. Do something. Don't just be a b****.

Exactly, he should have just kicked him in the balls. It's Foot-----Ball right?

BroncoBuff
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM

Man, that is a great idea ...

Didn't Al Michaels say he should be ejected? Or actually I think he said that about James Harrison on another play.

BroncoBuff
02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Correction: That IS Harrison.

At least Al Michaels or John Madden - whichever said it - sacked up for a change.

watermock
02-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Backem up to the 1 and then 1st and 24

broncosteven
02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1093194/index.htm

On the first Bronco touchdown, a seven-yard strike up the middle by rookie Rob Lytle, something happened that almost turned the halftime entertainment into a full-scale brawl. Steeler Defensive Tackle Mean Joe Greene complained to Barth's crew that Bronco Guard Paul Howard had been holding him on too many plays, but the officials offered little in the way of sympathy. Greene complained several more times; then, with less than a minute to play in the second quarter, he took matters into his own hands. Or fists. Mean Joe leveled Howard with a devastating bolo punch to the solar plexus. Astonishingly, Greene's punch escaped the eyes of only six people—the members of Barth's crew.

broncosteven
02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Here is more proof that Steelgirls are punching pussies:

http://www.steelergridiron.com/history/curtain.html

"Joe got kicked out of three games that year [1969] as I recall. He got kicked out of a game in New York for taking a late shot on Fran Tarkenton; he got kicked out of a game in Minnesota for punching a lineman [Jim Vellone]; he got kicked out a game in Philadelphia for picking up the football and throwing it into the upper deck. Hell, I don't know why they put him out of a game for that. They should have given him some kind of award. It might have been the best pass a guy on our club threw all year."(Andy Russell)

theAPAOps5
02-02-2009, 07:36 PM
It doesn't warrant a suspension but he should have been kicked out of the game.

Taco John
02-02-2009, 08:30 PM

If that doesn't warrant a supsension, then nothing should.

Popps
02-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Looked like a fake, wrestling punch to me. Open-handed... and the guy just sat there, so when he tried to get up, he knocked him on his ass. Didn't look particularly different than most battles I see on special teams plays, except for the fact that one guy seemed to be not fighting back.

The ball was live... and the guy was getting up to run to the play. He didn't hit him from behind, he didn't hit a defenseless player... and I don't know what the foul is for fake-punching someone with an open hand, but I'd highly doubt it involves suspension.

We're just used to such pansy-ass defense in Denver, anything remotely aggressive scares us.

Los Broncos
02-02-2009, 10:39 PM
It doesn't warrant a suspension but he should have been kicked out of the game.

Thats what I thought at first and some people at the party were saying the same thing.

cutthemdown
02-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't even think that should be a penalty he's blocking the guy.

When an offensive lineman gets a guy down they usually lay on top of them. I don't see any difference pushing him in the back to keep him down.

By the way that player being pushed around is a punk I don't care what position you play, fight a little to get off the ground.

All those blows seem to be open handed and to the midsection.

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Wasn't it an "illegal block below the waist" that started this?? Or is that only in college?

C'mon you pansy bunch of do gooders, I thought Harrison was quite controlled considering (IF) he was fouled first!

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Wasn't it an "illegal block below the waist" that started this?? Or is that only in college?

C'mon you pansy bunch of do gooders, I thought Harrison was quite controlled considering (IF) he was fouled first!

I see you're new here. You will find there is an element on the board that is super pussified. They get all bent out of shape over a hard hit and want all the players to be nice guys.

By the way the player who scored winning TD in Superbowl was a gang member growing up and got busted less the a yr ago for weed right?

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Looked like a fake, wrestling punch to me. Open-handed... and the guy just sat there, so when he tried to get up, he knocked him on his ass. Didn't look particularly different than most battles I see on special teams plays, except for the fact that one guy seemed to be not fighting back.

The ball was live... and the guy was getting up to run to the play. He didn't hit him from behind, he didn't hit a defenseless player... and I don't know what the foul is for fake-punching someone with an open hand, but I'd highly doubt it involves suspension.

We're just used to such pansy-ass defense in Denver, anything remotely aggressive scares us.

What the hell is wrong with the fanbase on this board? People forget how mean the Broncos were when we won Superbowls.

Atwater would stick his helmet on you, Romo would spit on you and fight you to a point after the whistle. Romo would spear you, hit you late, hit you out of bounds but did it in a way he didn't get a ton of penalties. Dan Niel was pretty open about the fact he didn't mind hurting people. He was a knee hunter and the most vicious chopper/cutter Broncos ever had. Man I loved him!!!!! Rod Smith and Eddie Mac would head hunt block ala poor mans hines ward.

Broncos used to have that edge, now know one is afraid to play us.

OBF1
02-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Looks like Spider giving a Donkey punch to the throat.

ZachKC
02-03-2009, 01:03 AM
and for the record...harrison is a chump bittch. only a coward hits someone when they're down and don't see it coming.

Didn't see it coming? He seemed to be engaged with him the whole time.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 01:24 AM
anyone who has a problem with this play probably got their lunch money stole in grade school.

Gort
02-03-2009, 01:47 AM
anyone who has a problem with this play probably got their lunch money stole in grade school.

this was a personal foul. the refs called it, so it was. what i didn't like was the fact that it only cost the Steelers 1 yard. my snide comment about a 4 game suspension was aimed more at the ridiculousness of Goodell handing down fines/suspensions on Monday mornings for behavior on the field depending on... well.. who knows what he bases his judgements on? that's the point. sometimes a popular team or player would escape any sort of punishment, while some lesser known or liked player would get hit with a large fine on a play where a flag was not even thrown!

also, the suspensions for off-the-field transgressions is a bit tough to justify and if the NFLPA had any balls, they'd strike over that. i'm all in favor of good citizens in the NFL, but these guys are employees, not inmates. if a guy commits murder or sets up a drug deal, then sure enough, ban them for life. but suspending somebody for a few games because they get into a fist fight in a parking lot somewhere or because their crazy girlfriend gets mad and calls the police on them seems to me to be beyond what the commissioner should have the power to do.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Refs call a lot of things I don't see as personal fouls. The one on Dansby comes to mind.

All these efforts to make game safer yet injuries stay about same rate per 100 plays. Let them play, let them hit, they have pads on and the risks to the game are inherent either way.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Gait was it 50 cents are a dollar when you went to school? I was trying to figure out how much you got stolen based in todays money.

LOL j/k I just don't see it as a dirty play.

OBF1
02-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Gait was it 50 cents are a dollar when you went to school? I was trying to figure out how much you got stolen based in todays money.

LOL j/k I just don't see it as a dirty play.

So if someone did that to Jay Cutler you would be fine with it ??

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 02:40 AM
So if someone did that to Jay Cutler you would be fine with it ??

Hell no I would be pissed and would expect one of our lineman to come and knock the **** out of Harrison. Also I would hope Cutler would try a little harder then the guy in that play did.

I'm never fine with Broncos getting pushed around and smacked in the mouth but it's part of football. Either you do the smacking or you get smacked.

IMO the play was live, the guy tries to get up, Harrison open palm punched him in the chest. Much like an olineman punches at pass rushers as they come at them. Before that he held him down on ground which IMO happens all the time. Oline is taught to lay on top of a guy if you get him down.

Drek
02-03-2009, 04:14 AM
Open handed, pulled back on the punch, whatever. Harrison crossed the line from making a football move to actually striking someone, and that is a line that needs to be drawn real damn clear.

I don't think someone should get suspended/ejected for a chop block, illegal block in the back, halo violation, helmet to helmet hit, horse collar tackles, etc., but if a guy even so much as gives a slap across another player's face due their ass needs to be tossed.

Sports =/= life. If a player is having a hard time keeping the two seperate then he doesn't belong on the field, that simple.

And FYI, I think Romonowski is a horrible example of a "tough" football player. He was a hard ass when at the top of his game but as soon as he lost a step and wasn't the hardest hitter on the field he acted like a spoiled little bitch, spitting on people and whining after most every play.

Atwater aged with dignity and toughness. So did Ronnie Lott. They'd never do **** like this when it offers absolutely ZERO benefit to help you win a game.

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-03-2009, 05:27 AM
I see you're new here. You will find there is an element on the board that is super pussified. They get all bent out of shape over a hard hit and want all the players to be nice guys.

By the way the player who scored winning TD in Superbowl was a gang member growing up and got busted less the a yr ago for weed right?

Thanks for the Welcome, been here or a few years though, just don't post much! ;)
Just FYI: Santonio Holmes (MVP) was busted this season about 2 miles from Heinz Field the Thursday night before Pitt played the Giants. He had some weed on him and IMO was obviously smoking it, so the team suspended him for that game, which they lost. :puff:

An "OPEN HANDED PUNCH" is called a "BLOCK" ... linemen use it all the time! ;) You start calling fouls for that, and the entire game is screwed!

I LIKED what Harrison did, he stood over his opponent for being a cheap "illegal block" throwing, punk beeatch! ... Considering Ray Lewis would have had one of his homies stab the guy after the game, it was a pretty mild, controlled reaction by Harrison! :chairhit:

HEAV
02-03-2009, 05:40 AM

Brandon had off-the field issues which got him into trouble. Like all the suspensions that have been handed out.

What Harrison did wasn't sportmanship worthy, it's far from suspendable. That type stuff goes on in every, every week, from College to pros. It's the temper and heat of the game that leads to incidents like this. The game was chippy on both sides the entire game.

Not worth a thread and the drama Steeler hate.

Their the champs and BRONCOS fans just have to wait till next season to get at them.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/03/3-game-suspension-for-brandon-marshall/

cmhargrove
02-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Refs call a lot of things I don't see as personal fouls. The one on Dansby comes to mind.

All these efforts to make game safer yet injuries stay about same rate per 100 plays. Let them play, let them hit, they have pads on and the risks to the game are inherent either way.

I'm all for physical football, but there was absolutely no reason for Dansby to can the holder. It was over. Dansby could have changed direction or could have attempted to lessen the blow.

These guys are real people with families and lives out of football. There is no reason to allow hits on "defenseless" players - especially ones that are no longer involved in the play.

Rough game, yes. Senseless game, no.

In my opinion, it makes the big LB look like the puss when he has to take out a wimpy little holder. Hit somebody that matters, don't just be a sore loser.

Willynowei
02-03-2009, 06:38 AM
That does not deserve anything close to a suspension. His job is to make sure that guy is never in the play. He was doing a good job of it, his problem is that he pushed the guy on the ground too hard. But if he let the guy up he easily could just keep knocking him down over and over again. That both legal and good football.

HooptyHoops
02-03-2009, 06:51 AM

That would be very interesting...I would almost deem that fair to all teams in all situations...the only problem would be if defense committed the foul, as that would cause some problems...

snowspot66
02-03-2009, 07:14 AM
How would that cause problems? Most defensive fouls are automatic first downs anyway. At the very least it's a free play.

MagicHef
02-03-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm all for physical football, but there was absolutely no reason for Dansby to can the holder. It was over. Dansby could have changed direction or could have attempted to lessen the blow.

These guys are real people with families and lives out of football. There is no reason to allow hits on "defenseless" players - especially ones that are no longer involved in the play.

In my opinion, it makes the big LB look like the puss when he has to take out a wimpy little holder. Hit somebody that matters, don't just be a sore loser.

That wasn't Dansby, that was Wilson. The Dansby personal foul was when he took about 1 1/2 steps and hit Ben after he threw the ball, and got Roughing the Passer.

theAPAOps5
02-03-2009, 07:29 AM

he has been a member longer than you. Just not as active.

And you would have a point if he was merely blocking him. But at the start he closed fisted punched the guy in the kneck, then slammed him back which was uncessary and drew the unsportsmanlike. The slam got him the penalty but the punch was missed.

I don't mind the toughness but he was punching

Garcia Bronco
02-03-2009, 07:32 AM
He punched him in the throat. He should have been ejected, and call it day.

theAPAOps5
02-03-2009, 07:36 AM
He punched him in the throat. He should have been ejected, and call it day.

Well he may have apologized....

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-03-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't mind the toughness but he was punching
I actually thought the ref "turned a blind eye" to the punch to make up for the non-call for the illegal block?!?!
SUre it's a penalty, but I still like the play though, and wish we had someone that ANGRY playing LB for us. :(

theAPAOps5
02-03-2009, 07:39 AM
I actually thought the ref "turned a blind eye" to the punch to make up for the non-call for the illegal block?!?!
SUre it's a penalty, but I still like the play though, and wish we had someone that ANGRY playing LB for us. :(

Thats a good point and probably the right call. Just saying under the rules he should have been kicked out.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 07:58 AM

sorry wrong play I was thinking of a different LBer hitting QB. The call on hitting the holder was a good call, you have to protect guys who can't protect themselves like holders and kickers.

Sorry my bad.

MagicHef
02-03-2009, 08:14 AM
sorry wrong play I was thinking of a different LBer hitting QB. The call on hitting the holder was a good call, you have to protect guys who can't protect themselves like holders and kickers.

Sorry my bad.

You were right, that was Dansby that hit Ben. It was Adrian Wilson that hit the holder.

cmhargrove
02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
You were right, that was Dansby that hit Ben. It was Adrian Wilson that hit the holder.

Then yes, I agree the Dansby hit on Cheeseburger was BS. I thought they accepted a hit within "two steps" as being a continuation of momentum.

That was a BS call for sure.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
No... I think it would be first and 25 from the 12. Essentially eliminate the "half the distance to the goal" penalty. Maybe you could give the option to take either/or, but combining the two would be a little too complex.

But what if you, as a defense, wanted them to start at the 6 instead of the 12? Being backed up further does change your gameplan a bit.

Peoples Champ
02-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Ya he is a punk, Ed Reed should have gotten defensive MVP regardless of how many sacks harrison had. Ed Reed did superhuman things never seen on a field before.

Florida_Bronco
02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Ya he is a punk, Ed Reed should have gotten defensive MVP regardless of how many sacks harrison had. Ed Reed did superhuman things never seen on a field before.

Like leaving his teammates hanging so he could try to make a big play?

Inkana7
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Like leaving his teammates hanging so he could try to make a big play?

That was a few seasons ago. Reed was nothing short of amazing the final 8 games or so.

NYBronco
02-03-2009, 02:47 PM
A suspension and fine is warranted.

Atwater His Ass
02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
At a minimum that's a 15 yard unsportmanlike penalty. I woulnd't have objected to him getting thrown out either.

I'm not sure it's suspension worthy, and if it is definately not 4 games. I would say a fine is in order however.

Ninjatime
02-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Wasnt it more because it lead to a first down which lead to a TD?

Popps
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Again, you guys are just so used to watching pussified Broncos defense, this frightens you.

The guy being knocked down like a punk is a SAFETY. His job is to blow people up. He wasn't "defenseless."

Dude dove at a LBs knees. The LB responded by swinging an open hand in a punch-like motion that made contact on his mid to upper back, open-handed.

He then was blocked FROM THE FRONT... and had every opportunity to get up and do something about it.

Not only should there not be a suspension, there shouldn't have been a flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIF_ucHzbIk

Watch the video. Dude goes for someone's knees and we're having a pity-party around here for him?

Again, it's just been so long since any of us has seen a defender strike anyone, it's a little unsettling.

Popps
02-03-2009, 04:03 PM
As a further heads up... if any of our defenders ever tackles a quarterback behind the line of scrimmage, believe it or not... that's within the confines of the game-rules.

So, there won't be any suspensions or charges brought against our player.

Willynowei
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Again, you guys are just so used to watching pussified Broncos defense, this frightens you.

The guy being knocked down like a punk is a SAFETY. His job is to blow people up. He wasn't "defenseless."

Dude dove at a LBs knees. The LB responded by swinging an open hand in a punch-like motion that made contact on his mid to upper back, open-handed.

He then was blocked FROM THE FRONT... and had every opportunity to get up and do something about it.

Not only should there not be a suspension, there shouldn't have been a flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIF_ucHzbIk

Watch the video. Dude goes for someone's knees and we're having a pity-party around here for him?

Again, it's just been so long since any of us has seen a defender strike anyone, it's a little unsettling.

Actually i was with you untill i saw that replay. I didnt get what happened at the time becaues it was so noisy and crowded at the house that i was watching that play but now the problem is clearly the fact that Harisson's shove to the guy's neck, which was a targeted "punch" when he should've hit him in the chest.

Both guys were playing good football up untill that point.

Alkazar
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
After reviewing that clip, the flag may also have been for the "continuing action" after the play was over. Didn't have the sound up so I couldn't hear the specifics of the penalty, but it looked to me like he kept going after Francisco long after he should have stopped.

theAPAOps5
02-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Exactly Willy, the blow to the chest isn't what should have gotten him tossed. It was the punch to the neck. Thats the only problem I had with that play.

Did he have to slam him in the chest, no. Was it offense, no. Did he deserve the 15 yard penalty, yes.