PDA

View Full Version : How about Carlton Powell at DE in a 3-4?

Kaylore
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Let's take a closer look at our fifth round draft choice Carlton Powell

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Team/2008/powell_mug_08.jpg

Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 294 lbs.
College: Virginia Tech
Born: in Norfolk, VA

Look at his size and weight. Now consider how he plays. He's considered undersized for a DT in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 he's prototypical for an end. A team leader (Nolan LOVES these guys) he was not a big play DE but more a selfless role-player. Rather than a gap shooter, he would take pride in creating double teams on himself and forcing the runs inside. That's right, he likes to play gap control and doesn't need to be a stat junky. I think his quickness is underrated too, for those who don't think he's got the agility to bump outside in 3-4. He has a good thick frame too.

I honestly think it would be a good fit for him. He didn't fit our scheme before as a DT but he could slide over to end very effectively. He's a good character guy too.

azbroncfan
02-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Look at his size and weight. Now consider how he plays. He's considered undersized for a DT in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 he's prototypical for an end. A team leader (Nolan LOVES these guys) he was not a big play DE but more a selfless role-player. Rather than a gap shooter, he would take pride in creating double teams on himself and forcing the runs inside. That's right, he likes to play gap control and doesn't need to be a stat junky. I think his quickness is underrated too, for those who don't think he's got the agility to bump outside in 3-4. He has a good thick frame too.

I honestly think it would be a good fit for him. He didn't fit our scheme before as a DT but he could slide over to end very effectively. He's a good character guy too.

If he is healthy I could see teaming him with Thomas, Peterson, EE/FA/Rookie in a decent DE rotation.

OBF1
02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I would like to see him play in atleast 1 preseason game before I make a decision either way

gyldenlove
02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I have been saying that for ages, Powell is a good fit at 3-4 DE, he is used to playing against double teams, he holds his ground well and has good base strength and he can get in running lanes like it is nobodies business.

TheReverend
02-02-2009, 11:46 AM
He'll certainly get a shot.

Kaylore
02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
I have been saying that for ages, Powell is a good fit at 3-4 DE, he is used to playing against double teams, he holds his ground well and has good base strength and he can get in running lanes like it is nobodies business.

Sorry, I missed it. It's one of those things the more I think about the more it seems obvious to me, but then I begin to wonder if I'm over-thinking it.

barryr
02-02-2009, 11:59 AM
The more the merrier in camp at the DL spot. The DL has been a weakness for far too long no matter which defense they use.

telluride
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
I would like to see him play in atleast 1 preseason game before I make a decision either way

That's not how we do it on this board!

bronco militia
02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
That's not how we do it on this board!

no doubt...

I think Torrain (spelling? **** you!) is a HOF RB after watching his debut in cleveland.

LOL

montrose
02-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I think C-Pizzle could be a really nice rotational guy at one of the 3-4 DE spots. I'm not so sure how Thomas or Crowder will fit there, but I think Pizzle's got some real potential. Watching that game last night, Keisel and Smith are such underrated parts of Pittsburgh's defense, we've got to have a solid rotation up front if we move to the 3-4.

cmhargrove
02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Hopefully he pulls a Ryan Harris and shows us all by next preseason.

I would really like to see him succeed.

Kaylore
02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Keisel and Smith are such underrated parts of Pittsburgh's defense
That's because Keisel went to BYU and is awesome.

gyldenlove
02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I think C-Pizzle could be a really nice rotational guy at one of the 3-4 DE spots. I'm not so sure how Thomas or Crowder will fit there, but I think Pizzle's got some real potential. Watching that game last night, Keisel and Smith are such underrated parts of Pittsburgh's defense, we've got to have a solid rotation up front if we move to the 3-4.

Anyone who goes by the name of C-Pizzle HAS to be awesome, he sounds like a guy that would crush an F-150 with his pecs...

montrose
02-02-2009, 12:46 PM

He's another Stormin' Mormon?!

Kaylore
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
He's another Stormin' Mormon?!

Good grief that's overused. It's like "He's Mormon? Let's call him the Stormin'
Mormon!!!!"

Are Jewish players called "The Corkscrew Hebrew?"

Are Jehovah's witness players being called "The Fitness Witness?"

The "shrewdest Buddhist?"

The "inhumane born-again?"

The "Bestest Methodist?"

The "Caustic Agnostic?"

::)

Mogulseeker
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
If he is healthy I could see teaming him with Thomas, Peterson, EE/FA/Rookie in a decent DE rotation.

I'd really like to see Dumervil continue to have a role in our defense.

montrose
02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Mormon!!!!"

The "Bestest Methodist?"

The "Caustic Agnostic?"

Absolutly. Once something comes out like Stormin' Mormon, you have to overuse it until people's brains melt. zowie!

So what would mine be? The Indomitable Indian?

Kaylore
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Absolutly. Once something comes out like Stormin' Mormon, you have to overuse it until people's brains melt. zowie!

So what would mine be? The Indomitable Indian?

The blue-balled baller.

USMCBladerunner
02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Mormon!!!!"

The "Bestest Methodist?"

The "Caustic Agnostic?"

Sounds like a case of the "PMS LDS"

;D

RunSilentRunDeep
02-02-2009, 03:46 PM
FEAR CARLTON POWELL!!!! He's got Corey Jackson-type potential!!

bpc
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I think he's gonna start at Nose Tackle next year when we slip into the 3-4. Just my opinion.

Kaylore
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
FEAR CARLTON POWELL!!!! He's got Corey Jackson-type potential!!

Oh come on. That's pretty low. You're talking about an undrafted AA guy who washed out of the NFL and one of the most productive run stuffers coming out of college drafted in the fifth round. No one in this thread is saying he's going to be awesome, either.

RunSilentRunDeep
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh come on. That's pretty low. You're talking about an undrafted AA guy who washed out of the NFL and one of the most productive run stuffers coming out of college drafted in the fifth round. No one in this thread is saying he's going to be awesome, either.

Relax, I'm just joking about the building excitement. I live in Hokie country and am well aware of his run-stuffing abilities. I think he's going to have a long career somewhere and I hope it's opposite Thomas in the 3-4. Don't think he could handle the nose though.

Elway777
02-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I think Powell would make a exellent defence end because he is so good at stopping the run . I also think he could move to nose tackle on passing down to give the Broncos a good pass rusher from nose tackle position. It all depends if he recovers from his injury.

WyoLaw
02-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Or rather he's from Wyoming and awesome. HA!!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-02-2009, 09:55 PM

I agree with the pick. Just not the reason. Size is good, but if I remember right he help lead V tech defense to into top 5? catagory. That and a lot of the scouting reports had him being stout against the run and the ability to take on the double team.

cutthemdown
02-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I think he's gonna start at Nose Tackle next year when we slip into the 3-4. Just my opinion.

a 300 pound 3-4 nose tackle? Way too friggin small. Broncos need to get physical and bigger.

cmhargrove
02-03-2009, 07:59 AM
a 300 pound 3-4 nose tackle? Way too friggin small. Broncos need to get physical and bigger.

He might have gone "Montrae Holland" on us.

Dude could be up to 360 with an achilles tear. McDonalds, Burger King, KFC...

just kidding, I hope he comes to camp about 290 and healthy. It sounds like he was a workhorse, and a run-stuffing beast in college. Sounds great for a 3-4 DE.

cmhargrove
02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
HEre's some video of Powell in 2007 for the Hokies. He's #99. He constantly took on double team, and looks very quick for a big man. Good pursuit skills in the open field. The music is awful, but here he is:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZUp4r8SNphY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZUp4r8SNphY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Garcia Bronco
02-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I hope he doesn't get cut. That would ruin it for me personally.

Garcia Bronco
02-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I agree with the pick. Just not the reason. Size is good, but if I remember right he help lead V tech defense to into top 5? catagory. That and a lot of the scouting reports had him being stout against the run and the ability to take on the double team.

The Hokies have a top 10 defense just about every year since 1996.

gyldenlove
02-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I still think his ability to occupy blockers could really help us, if he can keep 2 guys busy most of the time it frees up room for our linebackers to do a lot of damage.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I just haven't seen him play but I'm all for him not getting cut. We have plenty of people we know can't play let's cut them.

Atlas
02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
He has not played in a 3-4 and he has no pass rushing skills. I'm not saying he wouldn't work but I don't think Denver will count on him for anything, including a roster spot at this moment.

orange crusher
02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I actually think his best position in the nfl is as a 3-4 end and that he will be one of the beneficiaries of the change in the defensive philosophy. It's my understanding that Pittsburgh was looking at him as a DE before last year's draft.

Kaylore
02-03-2009, 12:37 PM
He has not played in a 3-4 and he has no pass rushing skills.

In a 3-4 DE's are not required to rush the passer. Guys like Richard Seymour are the exception and even he probably hasn't had more than 7 sacks in a season.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
In a 3-4 DE's are not required to rush the passer. Guys like Richard Seymour are the exception and even he probably hasn't had more than 7 sacks in a season.

Really you only hope for about 5 sacks from a 3-4 end. That doesn't mean though you put a guy with no skill out there to even get the 5 sacks. It takes a good pass rusher to get 5 sacks from the 3-4 end because you have to make most of your moves to the inside.

Put many of the talented 3-4 ends, in a 4-3 and they would get way more sacks.

So I disagree with the notion that 3-4 ends don't need to be pass rushers. They need power inside moves or they won't get any sacks.

Drek
02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Speaking of 3-4 DEs, a favorite dark horse of mine for a late round pick that I think could really pan out for us is Zach Potter out of Nebraska.

Impressive numbers in college (especially some good ball skills evidenced in the three picks he's had the last two years), 6'7" and 280 pounds. Thats the size you need to block some passing lanes and swat some balls.

Kaylore
02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Really you only hope for about 5 sacks from a 3-4 end. That doesn't mean though you put a guy with no skill out there to even get the 5 sacks. It takes a good pass rusher to get 5 sacks from the 3-4 end because you have to make most of your moves to the inside.

Put many of the talented 3-4 ends, in a 4-3 and they would get way more sacks.

So I disagree with the notion that 3-4 ends don't need to be pass rushers. They need power inside moves or they won't get any sacks.

They need to command double teams but it's unrealistic to expect anything more than 3 sacks a season from DE in a 3-4. The best 3-4 defenses in the league rarely see more than that from their ends in a season.

Also a 3-4 end doesn't necessarily make a great 4-3 end.

DBroncos4life
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Speaking of 3-4 DEs, a favorite dark horse of mine for a late round pick that I think could really pan out for us is Zach Potter out of Nebraska.

Impressive numbers in college (especially some good ball skills evidenced in the three picks he's had the last two years), 6'7" and 280 pounds. Thats the size you need to block some passing lanes and swat some balls.

He was recruited to be a TE then made the switch to DE. He was a "steal" recruit that never amounted to much of anything.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
They need to command double teams but it's unrealistic to expect anything more than 3 sacks a season from DE in a 3-4. The best 3-4 defenses in the league rarely see more than that from their ends in a season.

Also a 3-4 end doesn't necessarily make a great 4-3 end.

Aaron Smith- DE Pittsburgh 5.5 sacks
shaun ellis NYJ- 8 sacks
Seymore NE 8 sacks

ok so the other 3-4 teams were Dall Cleveland who had no 5 sack guys. And the Chargers. What do they have in common this yr? crappy defenses for the most part. The good 3-4 teams all have and end that gets pressure and like 5 sacks.

IMO to just say we don't need pass rushing skill at the DE spot sets bar very low.

I want a guy who gets in QBS face with inside power from the end spot in a 3-4. I'm not sure this Powell kid even a player.

Once again the board is over analyzing a player who hasn't done a thing but people already saying he could be very good. Any player we havent seen play could be good but I have serious doubts this guy ever starts for Denver.

Kaylore
02-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Aaron Smith- DE Pittsburgh 5.5 sacks
shaun ellis NYJ- 8 sacks
Seymore NE 8 sacks

ok so the other 3-4 teams were Dall Cleveland who had no 5 sack guys. And the Chargers. What do they have in common this yr? crappy defenses for the most part. The good 3-4 teams all have and end that gets pressure and like 5 sacks.

IMO to just say we don't need pass rushing skill at the DE spot sets bar very low.

I want a guy who gets in QBS face with inside power from the end spot in a 3-4. I'm not sure this Powell kid even a player.

Once again the board is over analyzing a player who hasn't done a thing but people already saying he could be very good. Any player we havent seen play could be good but I have serious doubts this guy ever starts for Denver.
Nice. You picked the three guys that have more than five. One of them is perennial all-pro guy. They are the exception, not the rule. That's not a biased sample at all, either. How about the other twenty some odd 3-4 ends who have 1-4 sacks in a year?

MagicHef
02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
What differences are there between weakside and strongside DEs in a 3-4? Are the differences similar to what you would see in a 4-3, or are the two ends more similar?

bpc
02-03-2009, 02:22 PM

How much did Greg Kragen weight for Denver and Carolina in the 80's and 90's?

You can play the position at that weight. Sometimes speed and quickness is more important at that spot. Depends on what type of 3-4 people run. There are several versions. A zone blitz 3-4 might exclusively use that which is the style that Dom Capers used to run.

Is it the way I would do it? Not really but there aren't really any answers in the draft this year and we're not going to break the bank so Haynesworth can keep blockers off our LB's.

I reiterate, I think Powell can and will start at NT sometime next year barring injury.

Garcia Bronco
02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
If coaches ask him to play NT he can do it. He's a Hokie. No elaboration is required.

HILife
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
The Hokies have a top 10 defense just about every year since 1996.

Hey Garcia. I just noticed your a Hokie. I graduated from there and even took two trips to Miami for both the Orange Bowl Games. I don't know if you were there, but I was behind the endzone watching the Hokies get the W over the BearKittens! I also made sure to do other things while I was in SOBE :)

Drek
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
He was recruited to be a TE then made the switch to DE. He was a "steal" recruit that never amounted to much of anything.

He had 27 TFL and 8 sacks over the last two seasons, thats pretty solid conribution.

He isn't a stud prospect, but he's the exact kind of guy (good athletic talent, big, played solid college ball) who slips through the draft, winds up at a New England or Pittsburgh in the 6th or 7th round, and turns into a solid rotational contributor on a great defense.

Garcia Bronco
02-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey Garcia. I just noticed your a Hokie. I graduated from there and even took two trips to Miami for both the Orange Bowl Games. I don't know if you were there, but I was behind the endzone watching the Hokies get the W over the BearKittens! I also made sure to do other things while I was in SOBE :)

NICE. Last bowl game I went to was Vick's last game in the Gator Bowl. I've been to the

Liberty Bowl in 93, beat Indiana - first one in our 16 year streak of appearances and my freshmen year.
Gator Bowl in 94, lost to Tenn and Peyton freshmen,
Sugar Bowl in 95, Kicked Texas' ass
Orange Bowl 96, Got the beat down from Big Corn
Sugar Bowl 99, we got hosed by Florida State
Gator Bowl 00, beat the heck out of Clemson(Again)

Miami depresses me, and not South Beach. I just don't see any reason to spend money to go there. If the play in the Arizona BCS game, I'll go to that one day.

I lived on Harrell St back in the day and went to every game, back then then though there was no lottery for the tickets. Any student could get one. Not anymore. You could be there 5 years and never get a ticket as a Student anymore.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
How much did Greg Kragen weight for Denver and Carolina in the 80's and 90's?

You can play the position at that weight. Sometimes speed and quickness is more important at that spot. Depends on what type of 3-4 people run. There are several versions. A zone blitz 3-4 might exclusively use that which is the style that Dom Capers used to run.

Is it the way I would do it? Not really but there aren't really any answers in the draft this year and we're not going to break the bank so Haynesworth can keep blockers off our LB's.

I reiterate, I think Powell can and will start at NT sometime next year barring injury.

Yeah but Kragen got pushed around in the big games IMO. He is exactly the type of player we need to get away from.

DBroncos4life
02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
He had 27 TFL and 8 sacks over the last two seasons, thats pretty solid conribution.

He isn't a stud prospect, but he's the exact kind of guy (good athletic talent, big, played solid college ball) who slips through the draft, winds up at a New England or Pittsburgh in the 6th or 7th round, and turns into a solid rotational contributor on a great defense.

Well I think his lack of stats might be do to the poor coaching he had prior to NU getting Bo. I thought Suh was just another hyped up bust Cally brought in but he is the real deal. Turner was one of the better HS players from Tenn if I remember right. There was some hype around him as well.

BroncoBuff
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I haven't seen enough of him yet to offer an opinion. But he was a world-class run-stuffer in college - best in the nation at ypc against. With that resume, I'm skeptical about his quickness and penetrating. I think I'd rather see him put on a few pounds and try to play NT.

Khan's bio says 294, but he's listed everywhere from 293 to 305. I think at just 23 years old, he could pack on some real weight, maybe 20+ pounds in the next couple years. Draft Raji or Brace, and rotate him with Powell (in the meantime we'll have to sign a vet, though).

293 as a Hokie junior: http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/2007/powell.html
SI had him at 301 as a senior: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/players/5545/index.html
ESPN and The NFL have him at 300: http://www.nfl.com/players/carltonpowell/profile?id=POW192811

And I read where he gained weight while rehabbing from the achilles, so ...

DBroncos4life
02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
It depends on how we run the 3-4 if its like the Cards who have Dockett playing NT the I think Powell could do it from time to time as well. I don't think he could hold up as a everydown NT.

cutthemdown
02-03-2009, 03:56 PM
It depends on how we run the 3-4 if its like the Cards who have Dockett playing NT the I think Powell could do it from time to time as well. I don't think he could hold up as a everydown NT.

what makes you think cards run a 3-4. They look like a 4-3 to me except for maybe a couple plays here and there.

DBroncos4life
02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
what makes you think cards run a 3-4. They look like a 4-3 to me except for maybe a couple plays here and there.

Well we don't know what we are going to run either. I was just saying if we bounce back and fourth between the 4-3 and 3-4 Powell might be able to handle that.

Inkana7
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM

It's a weird defense. They go 3-4 a lot of the time but they put Okeafor on the line as a stand-up end. Several times against Philly I saw two down linemen, and two stand-up ends.

azbroncfan
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I'd really like to see Dumervil continue to have a role in our defense.

You want to see Elvis play DE in a 3-4? He was a liability in a 4-3 at DE and you still want him there in a 3-4? Now I hope he gets a shot at an OLB position in the 3-4 and rush end on nickle formations.

azbroncfan
02-03-2009, 11:11 PM
It's a weird defense. They go 3-4 a lot of the time but they put Okeafor on the line as a stand-up end. Several times against Philly I saw two down linemen, and two stand-up ends.

It's pretty much a 5 DL and 2 LB's in a 3-4 scheme. I think Nolan runs a similar scheme.

HILife
02-04-2009, 05:13 AM
NICE. Last bowl game I went to was Vick's last game in the Gator Bowl. I've been to the

Liberty Bowl in 93, beat Indiana - first one in our 16 year streak of appearances and my freshmen year.
Gator Bowl in 94, lost to Tenn and Peyton freshmen,
Sugar Bowl in 95, Kicked Texas' ass
Orange Bowl 96, Got the beat down from Big Corn
Sugar Bowl 99, we got hosed by Florida State
Gator Bowl 00, beat the heck out of Clemson(Again)

Miami depresses me, and not South Beach. I just don't see any reason to spend money to go there. If the play in the Arizona BCS game, I'll go to that one day.

I lived on Harrell St back in the day and went to every game, back then then though there was no lottery for the tickets. Any student could get one. Not anymore. You could be there 5 years and never get a ticket as a Student anymore.

I've heard of people having a hard time getting a ticket. I've never had a problem getting one, but then i never went to to many games. When Tech went to the SugarBowl a few years back I ended up missing that one. Friends "forgot" to tell me they were going to the game. :-/ . I really wanted to see Big Easy too. Well maybe next time.

Mogulseeker
02-04-2009, 06:24 AM
I racking my brain trying to figure out how the 3-4 defense will work on this team. If we get a good DT, it will work on the D-line, but the problems are with the linebackers.

Dumervil has to start next year, thats a given. He's not a prototype ILB, so he'll play WLB, and DJ at SLB... that leaves the two ILB positions... but I'd like to see Woodyard continue to play, even though he's not a typical ILB, but he might do better than Dumervil in that spot.

Why not put Powell at DE, get a good DT, and perhaps put Ekuban at RDE. And move Boss Bailey to SS (we can't get any weaker in this area) and sign a new FS.

TheReverend
02-04-2009, 06:29 AM
:)

cmhargrove
02-04-2009, 07:32 AM
I racking my brain trying to figure out how the 3-4 defense will work on this team. If we get a good DT, it will work on the D-line, but the problems are with the linebackers.

Dumervil has to start next year, thats a given. He's not a prototype ILB, so he'll play WLB, and DJ at SLB... that leaves the two ILB positions... but I'd like to see Woodyard continue to play, even though he's not a typical ILB, but he might do better than Dumervil in that spot.

Why not put Powell at DE, get a good DT, and perhaps put Ekuban at RDE. And move Boss Bailey to SS (we can't get any weaker in this area) and sign a new FS.

Remember that when you fire a HOF coach and throw out his staff, there are no givens.

No one is safe except Cutler (and probably the O-line). Certainly any Bronco playing defense could be gone or traded by the draft, even Champ. We all hope Elvis can be used, but there are no "givens" anymore.

SleepingTiger
02-04-2009, 07:35 AM

how about Dumervil and WW on outside, draft Rey and put him on the inside along DJ.

or maybe Dumbervil and Moss on the outside with DJ and Boss in the inside.

montrose
02-04-2009, 08:21 AM
how about Dumervil and WW on outside, draft Rey and put him on the inside along DJ.

or maybe Dumbervil and Moss on the outside with DJ and Boss in the inside.

Possibly. If Nolan runs the 30-front that he's known for, the WOLB is basically a designated blitzer. Peter Boulware and Terrell Suggs played the spot for him in Baltimore and I'd imagine Doom would be a candidate to play it here. I think Woodyard could play the spot as he's a pretty ferocious guy, but I'm not sure he's got the pass-rushing skills to make it work. I don't even know if Boss will be brought back although if he was, he does carry a few of the characteristics the SOLB needs in the 30-front. He's not a great fit there but probably better than most of the guys we have.

If we do make the move to Nolan's 30-front, I'd guess the following players to be transitioned to these positions (not necessarily as starters, but rather it's where I'd see them being given a look during OTA's and maybe camp):

DE: Thomas, Powell, Crowder
WOLB: Dumervil, Moss
WILB: Williams, Woodyard
SILB: Larsen
SOLB: Bailey

I think Nolan will run Winborn out of town (again) and there's no guarantee Boss will be back either. Ekuban and Peterson are FA's who could be DE's, but I'd guess the Broncos could instead spend their money on actual 3-4 DE's. At this point I think the NT is the most important spot to fill. I'd love to see us pick up another 1st day pick to add a NT, DE and LB. I think we can find at least one S in free agency and another on Day 2 of the draft to compete with Barrett. I'd use the rest of Day 2 to get another NT, a CB, and a few LB as well.

cutthemdown
02-04-2009, 08:32 AM
I think people expecting Doom to make a switch to OLB are totally kidding themselves.

MagicHef
02-04-2009, 09:12 AM
If we do make the move to Nolan's 30-front, I'd guess the following players to be transitioned to these positions (not necessarily as starters, but rather it's where I'd see them being given a look during OTA's and maybe camp):

DE: Thomas, Powell, Crowder
WOLB: Dumervil, Moss
WILB: Williams, Woodyard
SILB: Larsen
SOLB: Bailey

I think I'd like to see Boss somewhere else. Anywhere else. Maybe he can take the money we paid him and retire to Hawaii or something.

I think people expecting Doom to make a switch to OLB are totally kidding themselves.

I'm not expecting him to make a great OLB, but I'd like to see him given the chance. I think at worst he can be a situational pass rusher, which would be pretty valuable in itself.