PDA

View Full Version : Broncos C Wiegmann will not retire, agent says (M)

Inkana7
02-01-2009, 02:30 PM
The Denver Broncos can scratch the idea of needing a center off their list as they begin the Josh McDaniels era.

Casey Wiegmann will return. Wiegmann said at the end of the season that he was considering retirement. However, his agent said the Pro Bowl player will return to the team in 2009.

"Casey will play at least a couple more years," agent Joe Linta said Sunday. "He is playing his best football and he feels really good. He will be back."

02/01 1:17 PM
The Denver Broncos can scratch the idea of needing a center off their list as they begin the Josh McDaniels era.
The Denver Broncos can scratch the idea of needing a center off the list as they begin the Josh McDaniels era.

Casey Wiegmann will return. Wiegmann said at the end of the season that he was considering retirement. However, his agent said the Pro Bowl player will return to the team in 2009.

"Casey will play at least a couple more years," agent Joe Linta said Sunday. "He is playing his best football and he feels really good. He will be back."
Story continues below
Advertisement

Wiegmann, who will be 36 in July, has one more season remaining on his Denver contract. Wiegmann became a great steal for Denver who signed him to a modest contract late in the offseason as an insurance policy for longtime standout center Tom Nalen who missed the last 11 games of the 2007 season with a arm injury. Nalen ended up missing the entire 2008 season with a knee injury and he is planning to retire.

Wiegmann nearly retired after playing for the past seven years with Kansas City. He ended up having a strong season for the Broncos and was named to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement for the Titans' Kevin Mawae. Wiegmann was the first alternate on the AFC team.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&sa=NFL&eid=3877106

TheDave
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
:thumbs:

elsid13
02-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Nice, but Denver still need to find a OG/C in the draft to for depth and to be his eventual replacement.

Dudeskey
02-01-2009, 02:35 PM
This is good news. Buys us some time to get another center.

OBF1
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Like we found in Kory Lichtensteiger??? Or did we cut him

BroncoBuff
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Great great news ...

Killericon
02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah, Lichtensteiger can be his replacement eventually...What we need is a successor to Ben Hamilton.

OBF1
02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah, Lichtensteiger can be his replacement eventually...What we need is a successor to Ben Hamilton.

So we need a guard. How about James Wilson II from the Florida Gators 6'5" 320lbs and strong... Is a real nice guy as well right Chica ROFL!

BroncoBuff
02-01-2009, 02:55 PM
So we need a guard. How about James Wilson II from the Florida Gators 6'5" 320lbs and strong... Is a real nice guy as well right Chica ROFL!

I wish we had kept Montrae Holland ... he's lost the weight and is just 28.

But who's to say Hamilton can't play 3 or 4 more years? He's just 31.

Killericon
02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I wish we had kept Montrae Holland ... he's lost the weight and is just 28.

But who's to say Hamilton can't play 3 or 4 more years? He's just 31.

I think that with his injury history, he's going to retire soon, a la Lepsis.

If we had kept Holland, where would he have played this year?

BroncoBuff
02-01-2009, 03:12 PM
If we had kept Holland, where would he have played this year?

Just as he was in Dallas, a backup ... too fat to start. Lots better than Dylan Gandy, though.

Killericon
02-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Just as he was in Dallas, a backup ... too fat to start. Lots better than Dylan Gandy, though.

I'd rather have the pick, honestly. It's easy to say that because we didn't need Gandy this year, but Holland feel really far, really fast. If we kept him it would've set a bad example, too.

Broncochica
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM

LOL Yeah!!! And he's my nephew too! :strong:

Dudeskey
02-01-2009, 03:36 PM

I'm not too worried about replacing Hamilton. Guards aren't as hard to replace as Tackles & Centers...

BroncoBuff
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I'd rather have the pick, honestly. It's easy to say that because we didn't need Gandy this year, but Holland feel really far, really fast. If we kept him it would've set a bad example, too.

I just checked ... it's a 5th round pick. But not until 2010! hmmm...

I thought he was our best lineman in '07. Took him awhiled to get comfortable with ZBS, but he came around.

HooptyHoops
02-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Wiegmann coming back is a real big AMEN!!

Man-Goblin
02-01-2009, 07:53 PM
How much is this going to cost (pro bowl center)?

GoHAM
02-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Hopefully we can get him his Arrowhead win next year.

Rock Chalk
02-01-2009, 08:48 PM

No more Gators.

chaz
02-01-2009, 09:06 PM
and boom goes the dynamite

SouthStndJunkie
02-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I figured he would come back....he would probably like a year and a little more money added to his deal....and I can't blame him.

bronco militia
02-01-2009, 09:14 PM
thanks again King Carl!

;D

Florida_Bronco
02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I think that with his injury history, he's going to retire soon, a la Lepsis.

What injury history? ???

Last year was the first time he had missed time since his rookie year. With the exception of those 2 years, he has played and started all 16 games every year.

ZONA
02-01-2009, 11:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3877106

The Denver Broncos can scratch the idea of needing a center off the list as they begin the Josh McDaniels era.

Wiegmann, who will be 36 in July, has one more season remaining on his Denver contract. Wiegmann became a great steal for Denver who signed him to a modest contract late in the offseason as an insurance policy for longtime standout center Tom Nalen who missed the last 11 games of the 2007 season with a arm injury. Nalen ended up missing the entire 2008 season with a knee injury and he is planning to retire.

Wiegmann nearly retired after playing for the past seven years with Kansas City. He ended up having a strong season for the Broncos and was named to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement for the Titans' Kevin Mawae. Wiegmann was the first alternate on the AFC team.

Elway777
02-02-2009, 12:00 AM
I still think we should reward him by redoing his contract with incentives if he stays healthy. I think he is only making 800 k. I would die for 800 k but it a low amount of money for a all pro center. Maybe put about 2 million more in incentives in his contract.

Killericon
02-02-2009, 12:00 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76803

Killericon
02-02-2009, 12:01 AM
What injury history? ???

Last year was the first time he had missed time since his rookie year. With the exception of those 2 years, he has played and started all 16 games every year.

I know, but I just seem to recall that in the last offseason, there were doubts about if Hamilton would even be able to play again.

UberBroncoMan
02-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Umm... we have Greg Eslinger... the guy is actually pretty good. He was 1st team NFL Europe, won the top center and maybe even O-line in college. He's part of the 2006 draft class... not sure why but we basically let him go to the Texans then brought him back /shrug.

6-3 and around 290-300 too...

Florida_Bronco
02-02-2009, 12:21 AM
I know, but I just seem to recall that in the last offseason, there were doubts about if Hamilton would even be able to play again.

Sure, he suffered a nasty concussion, but he came back and played great after missing time for the first time in his career.

Certainly no "history" there.

OBF1
02-02-2009, 01:40 AM
People want to see thier names in the bright lights of the internet.

Killericon
02-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Umm... we have Greg Eslinger... the guy is actually pretty good. He was 1st team NFL Europe, won the top center and maybe even O-line in college. He's part of the 2006 draft class... not sure why but we basically let him go to the Texans then brought him back /shrug.

6-3 and around 290-300 too...

If Eslginer pans out, the 2006 draft class will be the best draft class ever.

Sure, he suffered a nasty concussion, but he came back and played great after missing time for the first time in his career.

Certainly no "history" there.

Alright, well, then I guess it's just a hunch, but I don't think Hamilton has more than 2 years left in him.

cutthemdown
02-02-2009, 02:28 AM
It's good hes coming back but Broncos should still draft a young center unless they think one of the young ones on the squad right now has serious potential.

Kaylore
02-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I figured he would come back....he would probably like a year and a little more money added to his deal....and I can't blame him.

That's probably what this was all about. He was pondering retirement because he wanted to see if we could lure him out of it with some $.

And I agree another developmental late-round offensive lineman would be good.

How about Anthony Parker, or if we want to get a Mr. Plow, Ray Feinga?

cmhargrove
02-02-2009, 08:12 AM
People are still mentioning Holland? Seriously, he didn't want to work, so he's gone.

The Weigmann thing is huge for this team. Now we have an entire line that should stay together for more than one season - it has been a looooong time since we have seen that happen.

For a Center replacement, obviously Lichtenstiger has the pedigree and the coaches really found a way to put him on the field instead of the PS, so that looks good.

For Guard depth - I don't see why Polumbus wouldn't be successful. I know he is our backup Tackle, but the dude is huge, and I liked what I saw last preseason. I think he is a good player, and will only get better.

Of course we should always stash away another lineman or two, but at least we can now focus high picks on the D-line instead of dropping one on a Center.