PDA

View Full Version : Cutler gets set for new system

montrose
02-01-2009, 04:55 AM
Cutler gets set for new system
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

TAMPA, Fla. Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has taken his monthlong vacation and is about to embark on his first trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, but he knows his offseason downtime will be short-lived.

Cutler and new head coach Josh McDaniels have spoken at least twice on the phone, and they plan to meet back in Denver after the Pro Bowl.

The duo has plenty of work to do.

Though Cutler on Friday acknowledged he was disappointed when Mike Shanahan was fired Dec. 30, two days after Denver's season ended with a 52-21 loss at San Diego, he said he's come to understand in the past month why the move was made.

"We had our problems offensively. We struggled in the red zone, we had a lot of turnovers, but we were getting to a point that we felt pretty good about it. That's the NFL, though," Cutler said. "If you're not winning games, it really doesn't matter much. And we weren't getting it done in that category so a change had to be made."

Cutler has yet to receive a playbook from McDaniels, but knows the offense he will have to run in 2009 his fourth NFL season, third as the starter will look and sound quite different from Shanahan's West Coast offense.

The first step will be to learn McDaniels' numerical terminology so he can become comfortable with the types of plays McDaniels will call from the sidelines.

"The quarterback's got to make a lot of decisions, a lot of pre-snap stuff, a lot of stuff where (McDaniels) is giving you two calls and you've got to go up there and make the right decision," Cutler said. "I think they're all about putting guys in the position to make it work."

Cutler said he anticipates studying plenty of film on the Patriots, for whom McDaniels called plays.

"I'm sure he's going to pull some of the stuff that we do and put it with some of the stuff they do," Cutler said.

Cutler will travel to Hawaii this week, where he will join his favorite receiver, Brandon Marshall, and center Casey Wiegmann at the Pro Bowl. It is the first Pro Bowl trip for all three.

Cutler and Marshall each plan to return to Denver following the game to meet with McDaniels, and then the entire team will be reunited at Dove Valley by early March. Cutler said the team will have an earlier minicamp this year, which should help accelerate the process of learning McDaniels' new schemes.

And with Shanahan no longer part of the franchise, Cutler said he knows he will be even more visible as the face of the organization. It's a step he said he's ready to embrace.

"I think we've got a young group that's starting to come on in our fourth year: me, Brandon (Marshall), Kupe (right guard Chris Kuper), (tight end) Tony (Scheffler). I think we're ready for it," he said. "The first three years have been good. Obviously, we haven't got to the playoffs or done some of the stuff we wanted to do, but it's been a growing process for us."

brncs_fan
02-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Hopefully Cutler is on that first plan out of Honolulu to Denver as soon as the game is over. Time for him and McDaniels to plan our dynasty.

bowtown
02-01-2009, 06:55 AM
"The quarterback's got to make a lot of decisions, a lot of pre-snap stuff, a lot of stuff where (McDaniels) is giving you two calls and you've got to go up there and make the right decision," Cutler said. "I think they're all about putting guys in the position to make it work."

I like this part the best. The most sucessful QBs are the ones who learn to and are given the freedom to act as a coach at the line of scrimmage.

Rock Chalk
02-01-2009, 08:01 AM
I hope this works out well but I dont think Jay has shown enough responsibility in the decision making process to be given that much freedom.

tsiguy96
02-01-2009, 08:13 AM
I hope this works out well but I dont think Jay has shown enough responsibility in the decision making process to be given that much freedom.

too bad mcdaniels disagrees. and hes a lot better at this then you are.

ayjackson
02-01-2009, 08:46 AM
too bad mcdaniels disagrees. and hes a lot better at this then you are.

Yeah, 'cause McDaniels is going to start spouting off immediately after being hired about how Cutler isn't smart enough to run his offense.

Let's face it, nobody really knows.

skpac1001
02-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Looking at how he treated Cassel, I think that McDaniels is a "sink or swim" qb coach.

HooptyHoops
02-01-2009, 08:56 AM
What McDaniels did with CASSEL has to make any Bronco fan get absolutely gitty about what he'll do with Cutler...

Mountain Bronco
02-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Looking at how he treated Cassel, I think that McDaniels is a "sink or swim" qb coach.

Did you fail to read the interview with McDaniels on Cassel. They treated him with kid gloves the first few weeks and expanded as they went. Said Cassel was quick learning as well. Wouldn't call that sink or swim.

Drek
02-01-2009, 09:26 AM

Thats the necessary maturation of a quarterback though, and the biggest disservice Shanahan did to this organization other than Slowik.

He wanted a human juggs machine to make all the throws and the reads he wanted. He didn't require that of Elway but I'm sure after the Griese and Plummer eras he was pretty much under the assumption he wouldn't have a QB like that again. So he never let Cutler work into taking the reigns like that.

Now he'll have to. He should definitely be intelligent enough for it and he's shown good football instincts. It might be a little bit of a rough transition but he'll be better off for it as will the Broncos.

strafen
02-01-2009, 10:42 AM
It's going to be all good
McDaniels is exactly what Cutler needed to happen in his career right now. We will see our offense to be that much better by Cutler being that much smarter quarterback. For anybody to think Bates was a QB coach, that's stretching the truth. He could not do anything for Cutler that you could've noticed in 2008 that came as an improvement from 2007. If anything, in 2008 he made more mistakes than in 2007. Granted in 2008 he had to throw the ball more, and our running game was quite not established, but a lot of turnovers came very early in the season (KC game)...

All in all, I'm looking forward to watch my first game of the season, grab a cold one, sit down and start thinking how all of this came about, and how it was put together. Beautiful! 8')

azbroncfan
02-01-2009, 11:12 AM

Sink or Swim? McD has shown he takes the talent he has and matches a scheme with them. This years Pats were a great example. He is going to put the players in the best position they have to succeed.

Hogan11
02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm not believing one word that biatch writes ever again.

Bob's your Information Minister
02-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if Cutler turned into Jeff George without Shanahan?

I would find it absolutely hilarious.

TheReverend
02-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Thats the necessary maturation of a quarterback though, and the biggest disservice Shanahan did to this organization other than Slowik.

He wanted a human juggs machine to make all the throws and the reads he wanted. He didn't require that of Elway but I'm sure after the Griese and Plummer eras he was pretty much under the assumption he wouldn't have a QB like that again. So he never let Cutler work into taking the reigns like that.

Now he'll have to. He should definitely be intelligent enough for it and he's shown good football instincts. It might be a little bit of a rough transition but he'll be better off for it as will the Broncos.

ANY evidence to support any of this statement?

azbroncfan
02-01-2009, 11:54 AM

That's all you can hope and pray for.

bowtown
02-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Shanahan made him sit by himself on the bench and listen to his iPod in every game. There are pictures.

BroncoBuff
02-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if you finally came out of the closet as a Broncos fan?

I would find that absolutely hilarious.

skpac1001
02-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Did you fail to read the interview with McDaniels on Cassel. They treated him with kid gloves the first few weeks and expanded as they went. Said Cassel was quick learning as well. Wouldn't call that sink or swim.

I prefer to think of it as I succeeded in not reading it, but no I didn't read that interview, and sink or swim was probably a poor choice of words. I guess what I was trying to say was that it seemed to me last season that he didn't baby Cassel as much as most coaches would with a backup qb with little experience, but I am not a Pats fan and didn't pay that much attention, so maybe he was no different then any other coach would be with Cassel. I just get the impression he is not afraid of challenging qb's with more responsibility then other coaches would.

skpac1001
02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Sink or Swim? McD has shown he takes the talent he has and matches a scheme with them. This years Pats were a great example. He is going to put the players in the best position they have to succeed.

I was more going for "sink or SWIM!!Booya! :thumbsup:" rather then "SINK or swim:-[ :pity: ugh!~ "
It was a bad choice of words, basically I was trying to say that I think he is going to challenge Cutler with more responsibility then other coaches would, which I am happy about because I think the best way for him to learn to be more responsible is to have more responsibility.

BroncoBuff
02-01-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm not believing one word that biatch writes ever again.

Why? I gotta admit, I find her attractive.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5867/lindsaycm0.jpg

BroncoBuff
02-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Big brown eyes ... all-american girl looks ... works for me :thumbs:

broncosteven
02-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Didn't Jeff start for KFC at one point in his career?

Didn't he knock Steve Bono out of the lineup?

broncosteven
02-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Didn't Jeff start for KFC at one point in his career?

Didn't he knock Steve Bono out of the lineup?

Sorry I got confused with Grbac. Both were pussies.

BroncoMan4ever
02-01-2009, 04:21 PM

are you kidding? Jay has shown he is capable of carrying a team. he has shown maturity. sometimes he got upset, but it is understandable when he is throwing the ball almost 40 times a game, getting good production only to have the defense put him in a hole.

McDaniels will coach the bad plays out of Jay, and we will see less mistakes from him, but he is ready and has been ready to carry this team and make all the calls he needs to.

Rock Chalk
02-01-2009, 05:24 PM

I certainly hope you are right. I hope Shanahan was the problem with Cutlers progress as far as the decision making goes. He seemed to get better in most areas but that area he has not improved in over his first three years.

Rock Chalk
02-01-2009, 05:28 PM
are you kidding? Jay has shown he is capable of carrying a team. he has shown maturity. sometimes he got upset, but it is understandable when he is throwing the ball almost 40 times a game, getting good production only to have the defense put him in a hole.

McDaniels will coach the bad plays out of Jay, and we will see less mistakes from him, but he is ready and has been ready to carry this team and make all the calls he needs to.

What Jay has shown is flashes, but his decision making is suspect at best, at least thus far in his career. Im not down on him for it by any means, but it is still his biggest issue. He hasnt shown maturity IMO, not like you people seem to think. He gets down too easily and mopes quite a bit. There are times when bad things dont affect him and times when they do. He is sporadic in that regard. Sometimes he has those flashes of "Wow did he really just do that?" and sometimes you are thinking "When the **** did PLummer come back?!?!"

What McDaniels did with Cassel as the OC is one thing, what he can do with Cutler as HC with so many other issues on this team is another. I certainly hope this is the right thing to do, but unless McDaniels is more hands on with cutler than you generally think the HC should be, Im kinda nervous about this.

Then again, in the spirit of fairness, Im nervous about McKid and the entire team.

TheReverend
02-01-2009, 05:33 PM
What Jay has shown is flashes, but his decision making is suspect at best, at least thus far in his career. Im not down on him for it by any means, but it is still his biggest issue. He hasnt shown maturity IMO, not like you people seem to think. He gets down too easily and mopes quite a bit. There are times when bad things dont affect him and times when they do. He is sporadic in that regard. Sometimes he has those flashes of "Wow did he really just do that?" and sometimes you are thinking "When the **** did PLummer come back?!?!"

What McDaniels did with Cassel as the OC is one thing, what he can do with Cutler as HC with so many other issues on this team is another. I certainly hope this is the right thing to do, but unless McDaniels is more hands on with cutler than you generally think the HC should be, Im kinda nervous about this.

Then again, in the spirit of fairness, Im nervous about McKid and the entire team.

Please make a list of 3rd year Quarterbacks that showed better decision making when under that kind of pressure from inept defense and completely depleted running backs, and then this discussion can go further.

When you have 1 (not named Jay Cutler), we'll discuss.

Drek
02-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Plummer's recent comments about Shanahan keeping him on an incredibly tight leash would seem to be a good start.

Oh, and Cutler himself just outright stating that he never had to make those kinds of reads in our offense, since he talks about it as a new challenge.

I'm sorry but when you have a "franchise" QB and you don't let him make significantly changes based on his reads then you are putting pretty heavy restrictions on him.

I think Cutler will do fine in it, but Shanahan had him working in a much more limited capacity the last few years than what he'll be facing very soon.

TheReverend
02-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Plummer's recent comments about Shanahan keeping him on an incredibly tight leash would seem to be a good start.

Oh, and Cutler himself just outright stating that he never had to make those kinds of reads in our offense, since he talks about it as a new challenge.

I'm sorry but when you have a "franchise" QB and you don't let him make significantly changes based on his reads then you are putting pretty heavy restrictions on him.

I think Cutler will do fine in it, but Shanahan had him working in a much more limited capacity the last few years than what he'll be facing very soon.

That's strange, considering there's multiple articles about Cutler and Brandon having the freedom to change plays and routes at the line. Not sure what more freedom you'd expect being given to a SECOND YEAR STARTING QB, but to each their own. Shanahan obviously killed him. That guy destroyed every QB he'd ever been around!