PDA

View Full Version : Cutler wants to go to Super Bowl

HEAV
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
His eyes have seen the glory. And it’s somebody else’s.

So Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has no plans to watch Sunday’s Super Bowl because his team isn’t in it.

And having just completed his third NFL season and still waiting to make his first playoff start, Cutler certainly wants to be a part of the playoff party, but on the field, not in the stands.

“I haven’t been in a playoff or a bowl situation in eight years,” Cutler said, counting back to a state championship team at Heritage Hills High School in his senior season at the southern Indiana school.

“It sucks, it’s horrible. In high school you win state, you’re always making a push into the postseason, always been successful in sports. Come to Vandy, struggle there, come close my senior year (to a bowl game) and get to the NFL and go to an organization like the Broncos who’ve always been pretty dominant and struggle there and not make the playoffs. It’s tough, it’s really tough.”

With a new coach and plenty of work ahead of him as he learns a new offense, Cutler sees breaking the current Broncos’ postseason drought — one that cost the franchise’s winningest coach, Mike Shanahan, his job earlier this month — as the biggest item on his things-to-do list.

Asked Friday if he would trade his upcoming Pro Bowl appearance for a spot in the Super Bowl, Cutler simply said, “Any day of the week.”

In the Tampa area to visit children with diabetes as part of new initiative with his foundation, Cutler said the fact the Broncos have not made the postseason for three consecutive years — two of those with him as the starting quarterback — is at the forefront of his soon-to-be filled calendar.

“We’re not (far away),” Cutler said. “You know in this league, you got to get hot at the right time; obviously you’ve got to put yourself in a good position come December. If you get on a roll in December, play good football at the right time, you can definitely make a run at it.

“Pittsburgh did it a couple years ago and won the Super Bowl. They were a sixth seed and made a run. So we’re close, if you don’t make it happen, it’s been three years since I’ve been there and we haven’t made the playoffs. Mr. Bowlen has high standards.”

Both sides to blame

Cutler said the Broncos had too many turnovers on offense and didn’t score enough once inside their opponents’ 20-yard line and too many troubles on defense to have the AFC’s slot in the Super Bowl.

The Broncos surrendered more than 400 points for the second consecutive season and were at or near the bottom of the league’s rankings in every major defensive category.

“It’s very seldom that you see an offense that’s high powered that doesn’t have a good defense go all the way,” Cutler said. “Because sooner or later you’re going to get stopped and you’re going to need a defense to help you out.”

Cutler has spoken at length with new head coach Josh McDaniels on two separate occasions, the day after McDaniels

was hired in Denver and Wednesday, just after Cutler arrived in Tampa.

“It went really well,” Cutler said. “We talked about a lot of stuff, he’s very energetic, when I got off the phone I was excited, I really was ... just talked to him about the importance of our relationship.”

Cutler had been vocal in Shanahan’s departure initially offering, “I’m not happy at all,” but with a few weeks having passed and having spoken to Bowlen, Shanahan and McDaniels, Cutler said he understood why Bowlen made the change.

“I think it’s a good thing,” Cutler said. “Looking back on it, obviously everyone was shocked to see Mike go. But a month removed from it, I can kind of see the reasoning why he had to make the move. You’re at a place so long the stuff gets repetitive, you hear the same stories, the same talks. It’s time to move on.

“(I) talked to Mike after the whole thing went down. He sounded good. He’s disappointed; I think he understands kind of the reasoning. I think he was ready to go somewhere else and do something else.”

McDaniels said this week he didn’t expect to meet with the team as a whole for the first time until March, with Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Casey Wiegmann set to be at the Pro Bowl for a week as well as the scouting combine set for later in February.

-------------------------------------

Coming together in March

The Broncos, like any team that has hired a new coach, will get an extra mini-camp in the offseason and Cutler said he expected to report to work in the new offense in March.

McDaniels has discussed terminology that will be in the new offense with Cutler as well as the general principles, but Cutler has not yet seen a new playbook.

“All of it is going to be his own terminology, which is going to be different,” Cutler said. “We’re pretty young as an offense, a lot of guys came in with me, been in the same system for the last three years and were starting to get pretty good at it so we’ll have to take a couple steps back.

“We’ve got an extra minicamp to make that happen and we’ll have to work a little harder this offseason ... I’ll have to be working closely with Josh because we only have so much time to learn this. When I first got to Denver I had that whole first year to learn the system, we grew gradually. As I was capable to learn the system, we kind of grew with it. I think Brandon grew with me and Tony (Scheffler) and all those guys and now we’re going to jam it into a six-month period and make it happen.”

Cutler added he was almost certain Wiegmann, who had said after the season he would consider retirement, would return to the Broncos for the ’09 season.

“Casey’s coming back,” Cutler said. “I’m 95 percent certain. He wants to play, he loves it, he enjoys Denver, he enjoys playing with us. I don’t think we’ll have any trouble getting him to play. I’ve talked to Casey numerous times this offseason. I was excited to see him go to the Pro Bowl.”

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/30/broncos-cutler-wants-to-go-to-super-bowl-just/?partner=RSS

----------

Cutler wants to go to Super Bowl

You and I both kid...

HEAV
01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
“I think it’s a good thing,” Cutler said. “Looking back on it, obviously everyone was shocked to see Mike go. But a month removed from it, I can kind of see the reasoning why he had to make the move. You’re at a place so long the stuff gets repetitive, you hear the same stories, the same talks. It’s time to move on.

Nice to see that the emotions have settled and the kid is back on board.

Popcorn Sutton
01-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Good to hear he's excited about McDaniels...

SonOfLe-loLang
01-30-2009, 03:44 PM

ZOMMMMMMMGGGGG...you mean he's not gonna refuse to take his insulin shots until Shanahan comes back?

gyldenlove
01-30-2009, 03:46 PM
“Casey’s coming back,” Cutler said. “I’m 95 percent certain. He wants to play, he loves it, he enjoys Denver, he enjoys playing with us. I don’t think we’ll have any trouble getting him to play. I’ve talked to Casey numerous times this offseason. I was excited to see him go to the Pro Bowl.”

That is easily the best piece of news in that story. The rest we knew would happen, he is an emotional guy and he reacted like people do, he is moving on and I think he is looking forward to getting the ball in his hands a LOT.

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 03:48 PM
"All of it is going to be his own terminology, which is going to be different,” Cutler said. “We’re pretty young as an offense, a lot of guys came in with me, been in the same system for the last three years and were starting to get pretty good at it so we’ll have to take a couple steps back."

Awesome just awesome, thank God that we have Mike Nolan who was sooooooo successful in Sanfran with his reactionary defense; which mean's we'll obviously be competitive next year with transitions everywhere and everyone taking a step back.

SUPERBOWL!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-30-2009, 03:50 PM
"All of it is going to be his own terminology, which is going to be different,” Cutler said. “We’re pretty young as an offense, a lot of guys came in with me, been in the same system for the last three years and were starting to get pretty good at it so we’ll have to take a couple steps back."

Awesome just awesome, thank God that we have Mike Nolan who was sooooooo successful in Sanfran with his reactionary defense; which mean's we'll obviously be competitive next year with transitions everywhere and everyone taking a step back.

SUPERBOWL!

Xanax works ya know

Hotrod
01-30-2009, 03:51 PM
ZOMMMMMMMGGGGG...you mean he's not gonna refuse to take his insulin shots until Shanahan comes back?

LOL

HEAV
01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Xanax works ya know

Not even for the Shanny homers. Sadly...

OBF1
excellent read.... Looks like the start of the new "Plan"

Willynowei
Xanax works ya know

I'm not Wolf or any of those whining panzies who care more about getting a guy fired than winning.

When these guys start producing I won't mind eating crow, untill then, I think this offseason's been one retarded move after another.

If history tells us anything its that Patriot Assistant coaches SUCK and HOF coach departures KILL organizations.

Add to that a perenial loser - Nolan whose only success was attributable to the New York Jets new head coach, you gotta wonder what all the hype this offseason is about?

this is the kind of **** that chief fans enjoy.

I don't want offseason hype. Shanahan was rebuilding the team from the bottom up, any brain dead football fan can see that. He was done with an entire side of the football, and improved the return teams on special teams A LOT. We had 40 million in caproom, a ****load of picks and now we are in the same exact situation except we threaten what we've already built in the last 3 years.

Excellent, another rebuilding process.
EDIT:
Seriously of all the ****in candidates, Morris, Spags and Ryan; we pick a guy whos young enough to be Elway's nephew?

Untill McDaniels wins us a ****load of games, you're damn right I'm not on board. Show me results, THEN I'll root for your unproven ass.

summerdenver
01-30-2009, 03:56 PM

SUPERBOWL!

We may not be world beaters but I just can't see us being as bad as last year. Aren't we like the worst defense in the history of DVOA per Football outsiders?

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
We may not be world beaters but I just can't see us being as bad as last year. Aren't we like the worst defense in the history of DVOA per Football outsiders?

We could've tried to fix that side of the football without dismanteling our entire coaching staff over the other 2 phases. Remember, this year we've got a boatload of draft picks, $40 million in caproom and two guys in the Front Office that are supposedly "superstars" at drafting.

worm
Why the insistence on changing the system\terminology of the O this year? Is the Josh system so all powerfully great that it is worth take the steps backwards with such a young offensive team that has had success this past year?

I would have preferred a different approach with the O.

baja

LOL Don't show this to TJ he will be incensed with Jay, how dare Jay say what he really thinks, he is no better than Plummer in that regard, clearly a couple of ingrates.

HEAV
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm not Wolf or any of those whining panzies who care more about getting a guy fired than winning.

When these guys start producing I won't mind eating crow, untill then, I think this offseason's been one retarded move after another.

If history tells us anything its that Patriot Assistant coaches SUCK and HOF coach departures KILL organizations.

Add to that a perenial loser - Nolan whose only success was attributed to the New York Jets current head coach, you gotta wonder what all the hype this offseason is about?

I don't want offseason hype. Shanahan was rebuilding the team from the bottom up, any brain dead football fan can see that. He was done with an entire side of the football, and improved the return teams on special teams A LOT. We had 40 million in caproom, a ****load of picks and now we are in the same exact situation except we threaten what we've already built in the last 3 years.

EDIT:
Seriously of all the ****in candidates, Morris, Spags and Ryan; we pick a guy whos young enough to be Elway's nephew?

Untill McDaniels wins us a ****load of games, you're damn right I'm not on board. Show me results, THEN I'll root for your unproven ass.

I'm not Wolf or any of those whining panzies

:rofl: Ya just read above...:giggle:

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm not Wolf or any of those whining panzies

:rofl: Ya just read above...:giggle:

Yeah great mischaraterization you dumb shmuck. I know its hard, try to read whole thing, you can do it.

I know that modern day internet produces a lot of these handicaped retreads who have the attention span of a fly. HEAV its okay, get some ritilan. Or maybe do society a favor and kill urself, whichever works best.

Inkana7
01-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah great mischaraterization you dumb shmuck. I know its hard, try to read whole thing, you can do it.

I know that modern day internet produces a lot of these handicaped retreads who have the attention span of a fly. HEAV its okay, get some ritilan. Or maybe do society a favor and kill urself, whichever works best.

Oh noes! You're so cool and tough!

TonyR
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Shanahan was rebuilding the team from the bottom up, any brain dead football fan can see that. He was done with an entire side of the football...

This is my favorite Shanny fluffer myth. Our offense was 16th in the league in scoring and yet the rebuild was "done". Guess what, genius, our new coach has all of the same offensive talent to work with and a scheme that we were reportedly trying to copy!

HEAV
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Why the insistence on changing the system\terminology of the O this year? Is the Josh system so all powerfully great that it is worth take the steps backwards with such a young offensive team that has had success this past year?

I would have preferred a different approach with the O.

At first I was all about keeping the old offensive staff and getting a defensive minded HC.

But it's clear to see that Bowlen wanted nothing to do with Shanny or his people.

Bowlen wanted a complete overhaul and didn't want to saddle a HC with former Shanny faithfull. He wanted the HC to run the entire show and not be like Wade Phillips in Dallas. Meaning stuck with a OC not of his choosing and only being a DC with the title of HC.

Has far as Josh's system goes... just look at what he has done the last years.:thumbs:

baja
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Watch yourself Hev the wrath of the prepuberty crowd is coming your way.

HEAV

Looks like you need to eat the bullet more than I do.

Willynowei
This is my favorite Shanny fluffer myth. Our offense was 16th in the league in scoring and yet the rebuild was "done". Guess what, genius, our new coach has all of the same offensive talent to work with and a scheme that we were reportedly trying to copy!

Hey ****er we had 7 RBs on IR. Most teams would've been bottom 5 in the NFL with that type of luck. Just because a fluff article came out on how we incorporate a couple of the spread formations the Pats ran into our system does not mean we run the same exact system or that they have a better system than we do.

theAPAOps5
01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Wow we are getting a super delayed Shanafan meltdown from Willynowei! Its glorious!

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh noes! You're so cool and tough!

Damn right bitch, don't **** with me.

Inkana7
01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Hey ****er we had 7 RBs on IR. Most teams would've been bottom 5 in the NFL with that type of luck. Just because a fluff article came out on how we incorporate a couple of the spread formations the Pats ran into our system does not mean we run the same exact system or that they have a better system than we do.

You're right, being dead average in scoring is totally better than setting the scoring record, or staying int he top 10 with the best QB in the NFL going down. Right on, brother! Preach it!

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah ****ers I'm the new Wolf untill either McDaniels leaves or we win a playoff game. So ****in deal with it.

Inkana7
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah ****ers I'm the new Wolf untill either McDaniels leaves or we win a playoff game. So ****in deal with it.

Oh this is gonna be awesome.

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
You're right, being dead average in scoring is totally better than setting the scoring record, or staying int he top 10 with the best QB in the NFL going down. Right on, brother! Preach it!

Pats had much better starting field positions than we did, because OMG football is about more than 1 side of the football! who the **** would've thought.

If you want to go by the McDaniels developed Cassell line of thought theres plenty of idiots who thought Weiss was the genius behind Brady. Too bad we didn't get him a HC right?

****er.

HEAV
01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Wow we are getting a super delayed Shanafan meltdown from Willynowei! Its glorious!

Ya he needed to feel special and let the other crazies get off first... now it's his turn.

He must be stuck inside, becuase of the snow, and has been watching his sapranos tape's all day long and is feeling all Gandolfini and stuff:~ohyah!:

TonyR
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Just because a fluff article came out on how we incorporate a couple of the spread formations the Pats ran into our system does not mean we run the same exact system or that they have a better system than we do.

Did you happen to watch our game against the Pats this season? Which offense appeared "better" to you? Do I need to remind you that this was WITHOUT Tom Brady?

theAPAOps5
So Willy can never cherish the success that McD might bring because he wrote him off for no reason. Thats sad, so you are saying you are a Shanafan and not a Broncos fan?

Hotrod
http://tylzen.com/wp-content/computer_meltdown2.jpg

Inkana7
01-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Pats had much better starting field positions than we did, because OMG football is about more than 1 side of the football! who the **** would've thought.

If you want to go by the McDaniels developed Cassell line of thought theres plenty of idiots who thought Weiss was the genius behind Brady. Too bad we didn't get him a HC right?

****er.

If only we would have had better field position! We would have been #1 in the NFL in scoring!

Brady actually played in College. And if you didn't notice any growth in Cassell as the year went on, then, well.. Yeah.

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:20 PM
So Willy can never cherish the success that McD might bring because he wrote him off for no reason. Thats sad, so you are saying you are a Shanafan and not a Broncos fan?

No I'm saying untill he starts winning he's an unproven cockbag and he's not getting free passes with the Offense either.

HEAV
01-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Hmmmmm and whom was the Patriots starting running back this year?

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:21 PM
If only we would have had better field position! We would have been #1 in the NFL in scoring!

Brady actually played in College. And if you didn't notice any growth in Cassell as the year went on, then, well.. Yeah.

Yeah and thats all due to the guidance of MickyDoodoo right? ..!..,

theAPAOps5
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
No I'm saying untill he starts winning he's an unproven cockbag and he's not getting free passes with the Offense either.

I think most are in that frame of mind. I am not crowning him but I am not doubting him. Clean slate and we will see what happens. But while the Nolan hire is a sore spot for you look at the assitants he brought in. That is some damn fine LB, DL, and secondary coaches.

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:23 PM
http://tylzen.com/wp-content/computer_meltdown2.jpg

http://www.cadrecorner.com/zencart/images/ColorPrints/HulkSmashFroesPrint.gif

Inkana7
01-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah and thats all due to the guidance of MickyDoodoo right? ..!..,

Um. Yes? He was the OC/QB Coach...

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:24 PM

sure as hell wasn't a cellphone salesman

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Um. Yes? He was the OC/QB Coach...

And so was Weiss for all those years.

By your logic Shanahan was responsible for the development of three Hall of Famers and two probowlers.

HEAV
01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Damn right b****, don't **** with me.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8678/ethug2jz4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/ethug2jz4.jpg/1/w600.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img440/ethug2jz4.jpg/1/)

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:26 PM
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8678/ethug2jz4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/ethug2jz4.jpg/1/w600.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img440/ethug2jz4.jpg/1/)

My headband is way cooler than his.

montrose
If Jay is serious about winning, he needs to take the next step. He needs to become the unquestioned leader of the team. Period. He needs to show in his preparation that winning a Super Bowl is the #1 thing in his mind. The body language, popping off to the press, going out drinking, all of that stuff should be tempered. The most important thing to me is consistency. That's what impressed me so much about Clady, he was just so damn consistent at one of the league's toughest spots as a rookie.

Hopefully McDaniels can bring out the best in him, but Jay's got to be willing to make the sacrifice. I, for one, think he is!

Hotrod
http://www.cadrecorner.com/zencart/images/ColorPrints/HulkSmashFroesPrint.gif

:) nicely played sir

Inkana7

By your logic Shanahan was responsible for the development of three Hall of Famers and two probowlers at QB.

He was. Steve Young, John Elway, SOB and Jake Plummer all had their best seasons ever with Shanahan. Same with Cassell and Brady with McDaniels.

theAPAOps5
01-30-2009, 04:27 PM

By your logic Shanahan was responsible for the development of three Hall of Famers and two probowlers at QB.

Some OC/DC's don't make good HC's. McD could be that way but listening to his past players, listening to Bilicheck, and our players he sounds like a HC.

A few of his players have said he is a great teacher. He gives his players the game plan and explains why they are using that plan and he shows how those plays will attack the other side of the ball. I can't remember who said that, it was on the radio today but it impressed me.

montrose
01-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Some OC/DC's don't make good HC's. McD could be that way but listening to his past players, listening to Bilicheck, and our players he sounds like a HC.

A few of his players have said he is a great teacher. He gives his players the game plan and explains why they are using that plan and he shows how those plays will attack the other side of the ball. I can't remember who said that, it was on the radio today but it impressed me.

I'm getting really excited about him. I realize it's going to be a process, but it's rejuvenated my interest and excitement in this upcoming season.

HEAV
01-30-2009, 04:32 PM

By your logic Shanahan was responsible for the development of three Hall of Famers and two probowlers.

Shanny is gone. Time to change your tagline and avatar and time to move on...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QiZdY9rw-uo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QiZdY9rw-uo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:35 PM

HC is more about management than anything else.

No one guy could come in and make a 53man roster instantly better by that much, no one has the time. The recruiting ability of a head coach - the coaches he can bring in is huge.

The only reason that everyone else on this forum is not as critical as me is because we hired Nolan. But Nolan's sucess could easily have been attributed to Ryan and his failures in Sanfran are well documented.

So no, my hopes are not up and I get especially pissed when i remember that this decision by Bowlen came right when our superbowl window started opening up wih the development and maturation of Cutler.

UberBroncoMan
01-30-2009, 04:36 PM
All I could gather from this is...

Story Time Builds Championships!

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Shanny is gone. Time to change your tagline and avatar and time to move on...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QiZdY9rw-uo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QiZdY9rw-uo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

His headband is ALMOST as cool as mine.

Broncojef
01-30-2009, 04:37 PM

Yeah like the free pass you seem to like to hand out to Shanahan right? Seriously were you not the least bit pissed watching a game like we played against the Patriots on national television? More and more of our games were getting unwatchable and frustrating and it was clearly time to wipe the slate clean and do the rebuilding with a fresh set of coaches that may actually coach some of this young talent. I'm not for handing McD a free pass either but lets give him and his staff a chance, we clearly had no direction/hope with the last coaching staff even during a pansy scheduled season. I'm hoping some of our now considered "dirt bags" get some coaching and play to a scheme and we might be better than we thought.

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah like the free pass you seem to like to hand out to Shanahan right? Seriously were you not the least bit pissed watching a game like we played against the Patriots on national television? More and more of our games were getting unwatchable and frustrating and it was clearly time to wipe the slate clean and do the rebuilding with a fresh set of coaches that may actually coach some of this young talent. I'm not for handing McD a free pass either but lets give him and his staff a chance, we clearly had no direction/hope with the last coaching staff even during a pansy scheduled season. I'm hoping some of our now considered "dirt bags" get some coaching and play to a scheme and we might be better than we thought.

I like this post, because I was very very pissed during a few of the games this season. This post and the rambo post by HEAV is making me consider it, a little.

I'm still ****in pissed, but I might wait and see.

Broncojef
01-30-2009, 04:40 PM
So no, my hopes are not up and I get especially pissed when i remember that this decision by Bowlen came right when our superbowl window started opening up wih the development and maturation of Cutler.

If you really think we were getting close to a SuperBowl after watching this last season you've got some serious issues. I'm just glad the Lions weren't on our schedule the end of last year cause I wouldn't have layed any money on the Broncos.

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
If you really think we were getting close to a SuperBowl after watching this last season you've got some serious issues. I'm just glad the Lions weren't on our schedule the end of last year cause I wouldn't have layed any money on the Broncos.

Not close but we have a few pieces that you flat out need some luck to acquire. The rest could've come with smart drafting.

Broncojef
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I like this post, this post and the rambo post by HEAV is making me consider it.

I'm still ****in pissed, but I might wait and see.

Willy step away from the ledge....look forward to the draft and free agency, you'll see a new exciting team next year and maybe some real talent begin to develop. I'm mixed on Nolan at this time, but look at the Linebacker coach from Oakland, the D-Line coach from the Chargers, and our old DB coach during the SB years...I'm telling ya things will change for the better.

Broncojef
01-30-2009, 04:50 PM
The thing I like about Nolan is he has now seen the entire gambit of the NFL. He knows what a head coach needs, what he goes through and will be able to help McD. Also consider Nolan as only a DC, all the worries and concerns of being a HC are now gone he can go back to what he knows with a sole focus on just scheming the defense. This job is one he's used to, comfortable with and has now has the ability to start fresh and get some huge talent to coach and scheme with.

summerdenver
01-30-2009, 05:57 PM
We could've tried to fix that side of the football without dismanteling our entire coaching staff over the other 2 phases. Remember, this year we've got a boatload of draft picks, $40 million in caproom and two guys in the Front Office that are supposedly "superstars" at drafting.

I am not trying to say that Mike's firing will not have an impact on offensive side and for all i know our overall record might also be end up being worse than 8-8. I just feel (hope?) that the defense can't be as bad it was last year.

watermock
01-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by HEAV

sure as hell wasn't a cellphone salesman

Ha! and we coulda gotten that guy from Mens Wearhouse...stupid shanahan

watermock
01-30-2009, 06:27 PM
The fact is our line didn't run block that well, and we had weak punk ass RB's except for Hillis, a FB. No point in the red zone? Try a bacl like Barber or that guy from NY....hell, HILLIS if he's healthy, he was running like a hot knife thru butter.

I think Willie is saying we blew up the wrong side of the ball. Slowick should of been fired midseason, and I'm sure that was the final straw. Shanahan said..."i'm keeping slowick! Before any postseason evaluation had taken place.

We were 2nd in offence. WE HAD NO RUNNING GAME IN THE RED ZONE WITHOUT HILLIS. That's why we were 16th in scoring, because Jay was going against 6 db's and 2 lb's in coverage.

I heard the DB coach likes press. I dont like the 3-4, we dont even have close to the people, and I'm afraid of another Collier style defense that is soft, BUT creates some picks and fumbles.

I've never seen a broncos team force less turnovers. ever.

our defense was absolutely unbearable, unwatchable! PATHETIC!

Popps
01-30-2009, 11:15 PM

Yea, this "one side at a time" silliness has been run up the flagpole around here by a few people.

"Well... he built a great offense and was eventually going to get around to building a defense...... I mean.... we had a few draft picks and cap space!!! That's proof!!!!"

Yea, how could Mike Shanahan **** up draft picks or free agent signings. He's never done that in the past ten years, right?

1. How many top-flight defenders have we drafted over the past decade?

2. How many top-flight, impact defenders have we signed in FA over the past decade?

But, Shanahan was going to magically figure out how to field a defense this year after throwing out the worst trash in the league the past few?

Please.

Time to move on, folks.

Willynowei
01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Yea, this "one side at a time" silliness has been run up the flagpole around here by a few people.

"Well... he built a great offense and was eventually going to get around to building a defense...... I mean.... we had a few draft picks and cap space!!! That's proof!!!!"

Yea, how could Mike Shanahan **** up draft picks or free agent signings. He's never done that in the past ten years, right?

1. How many top-flight defenders have we drafted over the past decade?

2. How many top-flight, impact defenders have we signed in FA over the past decade?

But, Shanahan was going to magically figure out how to field a defense this year after throwing out the worst trash in the league the past few?

Please.

Time to move on, folks.

Last I checked we never made a change to our Front Office thats been responsible for drafting those guys. But give all the credit to the goodmans and put the blame on shanahan.

Easily could've just gotten a GM and made Shanahan head coach instead of head of everything.

And, move on my ass. You think Nolan's going to bring anything close to a playoff defense to denver? Not likely. Try the same reactionary BS we've been watching the past 2 seasons.

Slowik wasn't the only guy playing corners 10 yards off. When Nola left Sanfransisco, their defense IMPROVED tremendously under Singletary because they started attacking and playing with fire.

I wasn't angry when they let go of shanahan, i was just shocked. Now I'm pissed.

Broncojef
01-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Last I checked we never made a change to our Front Office thats been responsible for drafting those guys. But give all the credit to the goodmans and put the blame on shanahan.

Easily could've just gotten a GM and made Shanahan head coach instead of head of everything.

And, move on my ass. You think Nolan's going to bring anything close to a playoff defense to denver? Not likely. Try the same reactionary BS we've been watching the past 2 seasons.

Slowik wasn't the only guy playing corners 10 yards off. When Nola left Sanfransisco, their defense IMPROVED tremendously under Singletary because they started attacking and playing with fire.

I wasn't angry when they let go of shanahan, i was just shocked. Now I'm pissed.

Shanny wasn't going to give up his GM title and he was getting badly outcoached in many games the last few years. How anyone could make the statement he did backing Slowick after those hideous games just blows my mind and probably sent Bowlen into a rage as well. Just be glad someone else is in place to use all those draft picks and spend all that cap moola, Shanny had 10 years after the SuperBowls to build the next beast and he couldn't get it done.

400HZ
01-31-2009, 12:30 AM

Singletary is a leader of men. That's the most underrated aspect of head coaches in the NFL today.

Rock Chalk
01-31-2009, 04:45 AM

No.

Unless something absolutely remarkable happened in the last 3 games of the season but St. Louis this last year was on suicide watch on DVOA for their testing the waters of futility.

Rock Chalk
01-31-2009, 04:48 AM
The fact is our line didn't run block that well, and we had weak punk ass RB's except for Hillis, a FB. No point in the red zone? Try a bacl like Barber or that guy from NY....hell, HILLIS if he's healthy, he was running like a hot knife thru butter.

I think Willie is saying we blew up the wrong side of the ball. Slowick should of been fired midseason, and I'm sure that was the final straw. Shanahan said..."i'm keeping slowick! Before any postseason evaluation had taken place.

We were 2nd in offence. WE HAD NO RUNNING GAME IN THE RED ZONE WITHOUT HILLIS. That's why we were 16th in scoring, because Jay was going against 6 db's and 2 lb's in coverage.

I heard the DB coach likes press. I dont like the 3-4, we dont even have close to the people, and I'm afraid of another Collier style defense that is soft, BUT creates some picks and fumbles.

I've never seen a broncos team force less turnovers. ever.

our defense was absolutely unbearable, unwatchable! PATHETIC!

Mock our run blocking was among the top 3 in the league dummy.

Put the peanut butter down dude.

lex
01-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Is anyone watching the SportsCentury on Don Shula now? They were talking about how what made Shula great was his adaptability...the ability to win with the talent he had but that also the Dan Marino Syndrome was his ultimate undoing. Shula himself even said that he had tried to find the running back who could help the defense and the passing game. And yes, he said the help the defense first.

Broncoman13
01-31-2009, 08:43 AM

Add to that a perenial loser - Nolan whose only success was attributable to the New York Jets new head coach, you gotta wonder what all the hype this offseason is about?

EDIT:

Lets see here, last I checked Mangini has had various levels of success. Same with Romeo. You could argue that they've struggled but every year 30 coaches struggle. It's also difficult to say how an offensive minded coach from Bilichick's tree will do. Charlie Weiss hasn't been great, but it's not the NFL where the talent levels are much more rich and capable.

As for the second part of your comment. Chuck Knoll-Bill Cowher-Mike Tomlin. Bill Walsh-George Seifert. Tom Landry-Jimmy Johnson. I could go on but I think it's apparent that your point is without merit. The Steelers, Niners, didn't die after their HOF coaches left. In fact, those teams continued to have a lot of success with the replacements. A team like the Broncos is very similar to the Steelers. Die hard fans that expect to win every week and an owner that is willing to make that happen.

On a side note, I am excited to see Cutler on board now. I will admit that I had a little concern that he would "act up", but he's willing to take the lead on this and make it work. Thankfully the kid is smart. I bet it wasn't a tough sell for McBicentennial. "Jay, I'm Josh McDaniels. I'm going to make you a three time league MVP and Superbowl champion. You have more natural talent than anyone I've ever coached. Oh, and I'm going to make that defense a lot better too! How does that sound?" Jay, (huge grin) "I'm all in...COACH!" I'm sure he had a similar talk with Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. "Guys, listen up. I've got this plan. Brandon, you're going to catch a bunch of balls, but not as many as you're used to. Probably 70 or 80. But we're going to make about 15 of those count. You're going to get into the endzone...A LOT! Eddie, you're going to be a busy guy. I know I can use you both with quick passes b/c of your ability after the catch. You're going to be able to use those combination routes you run so well and we're going to get the ball to you in space as often as possible. 100 catches is there if you want it!" Brandon and Eddie... (droolin) "I'm in...COACH!"

Seriously, I wish I could hear what he's saying to these guys about his offense. It has to be something along those lines. I bet he has so much confidence in it that it is infectious! Obviously enough to keep guys like Dennison and Turner on board.

Inkana7
01-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Is anyone watching the SportsCentury on Don Shula now? They were talking about how what made Shula great was his adaptability...the ability to win with the talent he had but that also the Dan Marino Syndrome was his ultimate undoing. Shula himself even said that he had tried to find the running back who could help the defense and the passing game. And yes, he said the help the defense first.

The Dolphins D was never as bad as ours.

Drafting a 1st round RB is ****ing stupid for a franchise like Denver.

lex
01-31-2009, 12:32 PM
The Dolphins D was never as bad as ours.

Drafting a 1st round RB is ****ing stupid for a franchise like Denver.

Actually, it was pretty bad at one time. And no, it would not be stupid if thats where the value is.

BroncoFiend
01-31-2009, 12:33 PM
EDIT:

Uhhh, Morris is younger than McDaniels.