PDA

View Full Version : mike florio and adam schefter predict work stoppage some point soon..

tsiguy96
01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
and it makes sense too. owners cant afford to keep paying 59% to the players, the players wont accept less. soon its gonna come down to who folds first, and the players wont win this one.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e6a4d6

(its a small tidbit in the middle, but they both basically say yes there will be a work stoppage in teh NFL soon)

BroncoDoug
01-29-2009, 11:04 PM
How soon is soon?

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 11:09 PM
i predict in 2010. i can't see the owners willingly going into an uncapped season, because if the salary cap is not there, it is never coming back. if nothing is agreed between the players and owners by the 2010 season, there will be a strike.

Broncos_OTM
01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Good maybe i can stop watching the broncos like i did the avs. this damn team takes up so much of my time( more then i would like) its like booze its not around you cant drink

Broncojef
01-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Does the cap even matter? Most teams are way under aren't they? I realize teams like the Raiders totally screw it but it'd be even more fun to watch Al spend a billion a year and still field a loser. I'm not really sure how relevant the cap really is?

BroncoDoug
01-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Does the cap even matter? Most teams are way under aren't they? I realize teams like the Raiders totally screw it but it'd be even more fun to watch Al spend a billion a year and still field a loser. I'm not really sure how relevant the cap really is?

Well it would be like baseball, where the big market teams could spend as much as they want where smaller markets realistically don't stand a chance....

cutthemdown
01-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Well it would be like baseball, where the big market teams could spend as much as they want where smaller markets realistically don't stand a chance....

since we are top 10 so it wouldn't be so bad for Us.

tsiguy96
01-30-2009, 12:04 AM
since we are top 10 so it wouldn't be so bad for Us.

bowlen most definitely is not top 10 in money, and doesnt hold a candle to the jerry jones' of the NFL.

great owner - yes. relatively, however, he is not at the top of the NFL in money power.

ZONA
01-30-2009, 12:10 AM
The players will take less eventually. I mean, they are only playing frickin football. Let em try to hit the open market looking for a normal job and we'll see how long they last. Fans are loyal to teams. If the players strike, bring on the subs. I'll be rooting for the guy wearing the Broncos jersey while the so called star player is at home with his 10 cars. All I want to really see is passion and effort from these players. Sure, subs are not as good as the normal guys but I'd rather see them then no NFL at all.

cutthemdown
01-30-2009, 12:18 AM
bowlen most definitely is not top 10 in money, and doesnt hold a candle to the jerry jones' of the NFL.

great owner - yes. relatively, however, he is not at the top of the NFL in money power.

Yeah but only a few owners, maybe Snyder, Jones will want to lose money on the team. It just doesn't make business sense to spend more then you make.

Broncos would be very competitive in a market with no cap IMO.

tsiguy96
01-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah but only a few owners, maybe Snyder, Jones will want to lose money on the team. It just doesn't make business sense to spend more then you make.

i still dont see the owners giving in on this. the players need to take less, look how many thousands of people are getting fired over the greediness of the players, its getting stupid how big some of their contracts are. some are making a MILLION DOLLARS per game. every sunday they make a million dollars, can you even fathom that?

its ridiculous and i hope the owners win.

BroncoMan4ever
01-30-2009, 12:37 AM
i still dont see the owners giving in on this. the players need to take less, look how many thousands of people are getting fired over the greediness of the players, its getting stupid how big some of their contracts are. some are making a MILLION DOLLARS per game. every sunday they make a million dollars, can you even fathom that?

the owners are going to win. players are going to realize making big money playing football even with a drop in their salary is better than not making that kind of money and will cave.

La Caspa Del Diablo
01-30-2009, 01:06 AM
NFLN sold their soul by putting that sleezeball on air.

dekers
01-30-2009, 01:34 AM
The players will take less eventually. I mean, they are only playing frickin football. Let em try to hit the open market looking for a normal job and we'll see how long they last. Fans are loyal to teams. If the players strike, bring on the subs. I'll be rooting for the guy wearing the Broncos jersey while the so called star player is at home with his 10 cars. All I want to really see is passion and effort from these players. Sure, subs are not as good as the normal guys but I'd rather see them then no NFL at all.

Could not say it any better then you did.:notworthy

extralife
01-30-2009, 02:50 AM
NFL players typically make less than those of any other mainstream professional sport in America. They're careers are also generally shorter and they have more health issues down the road. The NFL and it's corporate partners make ridiculous amounts of money on their backs.

cutthemdown
01-30-2009, 02:51 AM

I just don't get emotional over this at all. I could care less who wins just put the football on the field. All these people are richer then i will ever be so to tell you the truth it doesn't matter to me who wins.

Drek
01-30-2009, 03:09 AM

And every owner makes at least two or three times that a game, not counting the various league wide sources of revenue.

Any time millionaires and billionaires fight over a few points its disgusting to the American people. I don't get why people are so often against the "spoiled" millionaires and in favor of the billionaires though.

extralife
01-30-2009, 03:12 AM
People think the billionaires "earned" their money while the stupid punk players lucked into it by cheating us out of it. Racism is usually a part of it.

La Caspa Del Diablo
01-30-2009, 03:15 AM

NFL players are The Show. The players deserve everything they have been given. These guys put their well-being on the line. A good chunk of them are living their post-football years in misery.

MLB and NBA stars have it better because their contracts are guaranteed and they have longer careers.

frerottenextelway
01-30-2009, 05:29 AM

The Broncos are barely a breakeven team. We would not be competitive with some markets (deja vu).

Garcia Bronco
01-30-2009, 05:30 AM
The NFL and the players are going to have to get used to taking less money.

rugbythug
01-30-2009, 06:52 AM
The Union is using Club values as their measuring stick. And they have a good point the problem with using values though is that you only get those when you sell. Most Clubs are only around break even when it comes to Revenue.

If there is no NFL. I would just watch more college Football. Maybe Wyo will get good.

Meck77
01-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Seaon ticket bills are going to take a back seat to mortgages, car payments, and food for 2009. The owners better get their **** together.

worm
01-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Money to the owners or money to the players....one place it will definitely not be going is back to the fans.

It would be awesome to see a very powerful fan coalition that would also have a seat at the bargaining table pushing for <$10 beers and <$100 seats. The type of large fan 'union' that could impact ratings and affect corporate sponsorships with their actions.

Kaylore
01-30-2009, 07:06 AM
i predict in 2010. i can't see the owners willingly going into an uncapped season, because if the salary cap is not there, it is never coming back.
This is not a realistic view of the situation. Despite popular belief that everything is going to be spend, spend, spend in an uncapped year, the absence of a salary cap means worse conditions for both the players and the owners. It also means less spending overall.

- There are several provisions in place for an uncapped year. Unlike popular belief, an uncapped year does not mean that everyone can just "go crazy spending." The shared revenue is gone and teams still will have limits to what they can spend based on these provisions. Teams that finished toward the top of the league will also be hamstrung in terms of who they can sign because of these rules designed to make life without a CBA very bad for both parties.

- There will also be no salary floor. Teams will sign players more desperate to less than the minimum. They also won't have spend a minimum amount on their overall roster which means less money for Joe average football player.

- With a potential work stoppage, no team is going to be that into signing a "huge" contract with a player that isn't going to play in a year. This will further reign in spending.

- The economy is pretty soft which means even with the CBA, the cash in the bank is low. Just because they have the room to work with doesn't mean franchises has the money to throw at these players.

Bottom Line: Even if some big free agents benefit from an uncapped year (which is debatable in itself. Most teams are double-digit millions under the cap as it is and the spending still isn't going up!) An uncapped year is bad for owners and players overall. A few big contracts won't offset the majority of the rank and file player who will be taking lower salaries with fewer guaranties. Owners will have less revenue to work with as well. Ultimately an uncapped year isn't some magical fantasy land where players make a ton of money. It's going to suck for everyone.

no-pseudo-fan
01-30-2009, 07:10 AM
I think if the players gave back half a point to a point, they add 1 more game, and put in a rookie cap that everything would be fine. Adding 1 game would bring in more revenue and therefore make giving back the half a point or a point a complete wash. Then by putting in a rookie cap, it would assure that the veterans are getting a bigger slice of the pie.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-30-2009, 07:51 AM

No it wouldn't, there are certain provisions written into the CBA that come into effect if the cap goes away. This will not be an MLB-type situation.

and who the F cares what Florio thinks? The guy isn't even a real reporter, he just like to think he's one.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
I think if the players gave back half a point to a point, they add 1 more game, and put in a rookie cap that everything would be fine. Adding 1 game would bring in more revenue and therefore make giving back the half a point or a point a complete wash. Then by putting in a rookie cap, it would assure that the veterans are getting a bigger slice of the pie.

A rookie cap already exists

Hercules Rockefeller
01-30-2009, 07:53 AM
People think the billionaires "earned" their money while the stupid punk players lucked into it by cheating us out of it. Racism is usually a part of it.

Wow, only took 18 posts before a preemptive race card was played.

Well done.

snowspot66
01-30-2009, 08:02 AM
A rookie cap already exists

What?

How so?

There are rookies earning more than pro Bowlers.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-30-2009, 08:07 AM
What?

How so?

There are rookies earning more than pro Bowlers.

Each team has a rookie cap within the regular salary cap that depends on the amount of picks each team has plus where they are. The cap numbers of all their drafted rookies cannot exceed that figure (I believe UDFAs have their signing bonuses count towards the cap).

Here is '08s figures:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385956

What people are really asking for is an NBA-type wage scale.

bronco militia
01-30-2009, 08:16 AM
if there's a work stoppage, it will have to be on the players side. The owners have already taken steps to protect themselves

the NFLPA is going to get ****ed again (1987)

telluride
01-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Problem solved. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191397/)

chadta
01-30-2009, 02:18 PM
why would the players go out on strike? they are still gonna get paid, i can see the owners locking them out, which is a totally different monster then a strike.

Pat Bowlen
01-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I hope you do get an extra life someday, because you're obviously going through this one with sh!t for brains.

UberBroncoMan
01-30-2009, 03:45 PM
That's the problem with professional sports. Way too much $. Yeah, they deserve some nice pay, but this $8 mill crap needs to stop. $200k - $4 mill is more than enough.

Name one person on this board who (if physically/mentally capable) of playing in the NFL, wouldn't do it starting at $200k a year, and possibly $4 mill a year for the max contract.

You play for the love of the game... if you can't live off of this kind of money, you're a fool.

UberBroncoMan
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I hope you do get an extra life someday, because you're obviously going through this one with sh!t for brains.

Seriously... I hope a giant vat of tanning crap falls on the entire planet so people will STFU about skin color.

wandlc
01-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I think the economy will play a big part in what happens. The NFL will get a good feel for what can happen in 09 and it will be interesting to see how MLB fares this year. That might also give an insight into the effects of the economy.

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 07:30 PM
I would love to see a system come into play whereby salaries are already fixed based upon the position that one plays and the team that wins a division, makes the playoffs, wins the SB gets a HELLA Bonus to split. That would get rid of the Correll Buckhalter-Edge James type of A$$ grabbing that took place after PHI lost this years NFCG. Pretty sad when it seems that the fans care more about winning than do some of the players. The system is already broken--a work stoppage could potentially fix it. I'm tired so if this post doesn't make any sense you know why

UboBronco
01-30-2009, 08:20 PM
The Union is using Club values as their measuring stick. And they have a good point the problem with using values though is that you only get those when you sell. Most Clubs are only around break even when it comes to Revenue.

If there is no NFL. I would just watch more college Football. Maybe Wyo will get good.

YOu must remember though, when they sell at that price, the capital gains tax takes away around 35-40% of that amount, so to have actual dollars in their pocket, the sell prices have to be inflated.. At least that is how I feel they would look at the value from the owners eyes.

Cito Pelon
01-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Potentially this looks like an ugly situation. But, we'll have to see what direction the new NFLPA leadership goes for. It's a big deal who the new NFLPA boss is.

yavoon
01-31-2009, 10:40 AM

damn right, lets keep those negros down!

I'd like to see you find anyone who agrees with the incredibly retarded and offensive statement you just made. This is what I love about racial asshats like you, they feel because they are calling someone else a racist they can just pull absolutely anything completely out of their ass and it will stick.

Drek
01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
That's the problem with professional sports. Way too much $. Yeah, they deserve some nice pay, but this $8 mill crap needs to stop. $200k - $4 mill is more than enough.

Name one person on this board who (if physically/mentally capable) of playing in the NFL, wouldn't do it starting at $200k a year, and possibly $4 mill a year for the max contract.

You play for the love of the game... if you can't live off of this kind of money, you're a fool.
I sure as hell wouldn't play pro football for $200K a year. $2M would start to tempt me, not until.

Of course, I've got a pretty good career going at the moment that in several years should put me at least respectably close to $200K and I'll then make it for a few decades, not just the 2.4 year average.

You should catch up on some of the individual stories of past players. The Gridiron Greats and other similar organizations exist for a reason. A LOT of former NFL players who used to make the kinds of wages you're referring to as recently as the early 90's have now spent more money than they ever earned in football on medical expenses associated with football. Severe brain damage, drop foot, a half dozen knee surgeries, the list goes on.

Guys in the NFL are 9/10ths of the time doing it because they love the game and wouldn't want to do anything else. But they damn sure have the right to get every last dime out of the owners while they do it, so that when they physically can't go anymore they and their families are taken care of.

And don't think for one minute the owners would pass the savings on to the fans. Ticket prices wouldn't be a dollar lower, beer wouldn't be a penny cheaper, and they'd still beg for handouts when its time to build a new stadium. They'd just pocket a hell of a lot more for themselves along the way.

Its capitalism and it in itself is not a bad thing. They offer a limited product and other than instituting communist bread lines to decide who gets what the capitalist system of "you got the money you get the prize" is the best way to distribute such frivolities of life. But I'm all for a few thousand guys getting a bigger slice of the pie instead of letting only three dozen walk away with everything they can take.

titan
01-31-2009, 03:50 PM
I remember when the players were trying to get "55% of the gross" in the 80's (see this old si article http://is.gd/hWMn ) NFL players union has come a long way since then but still not near as good as what major league baseball players have. I like the "% of the gross" system with a salary cap - the two sides just have to agree on a #