PDA

View Full Version : OT--Octuplet mom already had SIX (6) Children--family had filed for Bankruptcy

broncofan7
01-29-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/29/earlyshow/health/main4761676.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

CBS) Doctors say the octuplets born Monday outside Los Angeles are doing well.

But when they go home, it will be to a truly full house.

CBS News has learned the mother who gave birth to the octuplets has six other children.

An acquaintance who didn't want to be identified told Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman the mom has four older boys and two girls.

"She is young," the acquaintance says, "fairly young. She has six children already. And in those six children, she has a set of twins."

While the hospital where the octuplets were born, Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center in Bellflower, Calif., some 17 miles southeast of L.A., hasn't confirmed that the mom used fertility drugs, there are no documented cases of naturally conceived octuplets, Kauffman points out.

Doctors say the babies are all breathing on their own. But all weigh less than four pounds and are expected to remain in the hospital for weeks.

The woman and her children live on a cul-de-sac with her parents.

A man who came to the door of the family home confirmed to Kauffman that he's the grandfather of the octuplets, but refused to speak to her.

"From what you know about this family, and this household, do you think they'll be able to support 14 kids?" Kauffman asked the acquaintance.

"Well," she responded, "so far, they've been fine with the six they have. Fourteen I don't know."

Kauffman says the neighborhood has homes with just two or three bedrooms.

It will, Kauffman concluded, "be tight!"

God Bless America...Each of those 8 premies will cost the CA taxpayers well over 1 million DOLLARS in just their 1st year of existence. No mention of the husband either. I bet she took some $1 Clomiphene from across the border and timed it just right with an ovulation monitor

big56fan#1
01-29-2009, 04:20 PM
To think theres many couples that really want kids that cant, who could give them lots of love and provide for them proper. then you hear of these stories and have to wonder.

Pseudofool
01-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I bet she took some $1 Clomiphene from across the border and timed it just right with an ovulation monitorYeah, because raising fourteen children is a riot! W00t. Waaaay easier than having a real job.

MIKE111375
01-29-2009, 05:33 PM
agreeing with big56fan#1

watermock
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
No comment, other than no father is mentioned.

broncosteven
01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
God Bless America...Each of those 8 premies will cost the CA taxpayers well over 1 million DOLLARS in just their 1st year of existence. No mention of the husband either. I bet she took some $1 Clomiphene from across the border and timed it just right with an ovulation monitor

Where do you get your #'s?

I had a 3lb 5 oz Premie, she stayed in the hospital for 6 weeks. The bill was under $100k. We had insurance co-pays. I think that included the 2-3 weeks of Labor ICU before they were born.

That is 10 times less than the 1mill you quoted.

broncosteven
01-29-2009, 06:07 PM

I had a 3lb 5 oz Premie, she stayed in the hospital for 6 weeks. The bill was under $100k. We had insurance co-pays. I think that included the 2-3 weeks of Labor ICU before they were born.

Oh and our 2nd pre-mie was almost 1/2 that, he was a pound bigger and not as early.

Spider
01-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Heh ..................and to think there are some who would have been outraged if she had an abortion ......no making you bastards happy is there ?

TDmvp
01-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Heh ..................and to think there are some who would have been outraged if she had an abortion ......no making you bastards happy is there ?

I think the point was more WHO in their right mind needs 6 to 14 kids ...

I understand people with big families and all , that is no biggy ... But when you break the 7-10 mark that is just getting a little crazy.

A vagina is a reproductive organ , not a clown car ...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/DocZaius/clown_car.jpg

Rock Chalk
01-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I got no problem with this at all.

1) Its not my life
2) California and everything about it sucks anyway, this isnt going to make it worse.
3) Negative population growth in this country (sans immigration) is a problem. I dont mind AMERICANS giving birth to AMERICANS at all.
4) We are not overpopulated. Even California which is roughly the size of Japan, has only 1 quarter of the population of Japan.
5) Maybe one of these children discovers the cure for cancer or some other significant discovery in human advancement.

14 children is uncommon now but not that uncommon just three generations ago. I dont know why people get outraged at this.

C130Herkload
01-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Are we sure the Dads not Travis Henry?

Spider
01-29-2009, 07:44 PM
I think the point was more WHO in their right mind needs 6 to 14 kids ...

I understand people with big families and all , that is no biggy ... But when you break the 7-10 mark that is just getting a little crazy.

;D..........I am no one to judge

Br0nc0Buster
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
This is stupid.
You want that many kids, then adopt.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-29-2009, 08:22 PM
To think theres many couples that really want kids that cant, who could give them lots of love and provide for them proper. then you hear of these stories and have to wonder.

Wonder what?

baja
01-29-2009, 08:23 PM

Well it's like a litter maybe there is more than one farther.

baja
01-29-2009, 08:24 PM

Ya but would you hit it? ;D

Meck77
01-29-2009, 08:50 PM

1) Its not my life
2) California and everything about it sucks anyway, this isnt going to make it worse.
3) Negative population growth in this country (sans immigration) is a problem. I dont mind AMERICANS giving birth to AMERICANS at all.
4) We are not overpopulated. Even California which is roughly the size of Japan, has only 1 quarter of the population of Japan.
5) Maybe one of these children discovers the cure for cancer or some other significant discovery in human advancement.

14 children is uncommon now but not that uncommon just three generations ago. I dont know why people get outraged at this.

What if they become raider fans? **** um

dbfan4life
01-29-2009, 09:06 PM

1) Its not my life

Well, without really knowing anything about this woman, I'd say you're right. But if what is said is true, than I would say that having 14 kids whitout any real means to care for them is irresponsible. I would say that is what most are upset about. I have two kids and struggle to make ends meet sometimes. Childcare alone is almost equal to my mortgage payment. Can you imagine cost of diapers alone for this family?

UberBroncoMan
01-29-2009, 10:13 PM

That's way too funny... but maybe it's true!

Spider
01-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Ya but would you hit it? ;D

;D of course

Spider
01-30-2009, 04:53 AM
I am probably dating myself here , but Grandma on Dad side had 8 kids , my Aunt Mary had 12 , Violet had 12 ,My Dad 5 ,2 uncles died in WW2 , one died in a Diabetic Coma Aunt Iris had 7 , Aunt betty had 4 , my Uncle Don dad side had 8 kids in 5 Marriages ...... my mom side granny had 9 , uncle don had 4 , Aunt Pat had 2 , my mom had 5 ......you get the idea ......... My family loves to **** ;D

Miss I.
01-30-2009, 05:08 AM
I am probably dating myself here , but Grandma on Dad side had 8 kids , my Aunt Mary had 12 , Violet had 12 ,My Dad 5 ,2 uncles died in WW2 , one died in a Diabetic Coma Aunt Iris had 7 , Aunt betty had 4 , my Uncle Don dad side had 8 kids in 5 Marriages ...... my mom side granny had 9 , uncle don had 4 , Aunt Pat had 2 , my mom had 5 ......you get the idea ......... My family loves to **** ;D

So Spider,are you saying you would hit yourself too?:welcome:

As for the actual thread topic, my grandmother had 10, but that was from like 1944-1963 or something like that and no twins. We were good Catholics my family. That rythym method shore worked swell.

Thing is not going to judge a woman for having or not having babies, but if you can't economically support them that does seem a tad irresponsible. But maybe there is more to it, but 8 babies in one birth seems like a definite fertility drug thing, so why do that when you have 6 already? It's just odd.

Spider
01-30-2009, 05:13 AM
So Spider,are you saying you would hit yourself too?:welcome:

As for the actual thread topic, my grandmother had 10, but that was from like 1944-1963 or something like that and no twins. We were good Catholics my family. That rythym method shore worked swell.

Thing is not going to judge a woman for having or not having babies, but if you can't economically support them that does seem a tad irresponsible. But maybe there is more to it, but 8 babies in one birth seems like a definite fertility drug thing, so why do that when you have 6 already? It's just odd.
yeah it does seem Odd , who knows why people do such things ........ I got 6 kids myself , the last 4 we thought we was using protection ( colten was a birth control baby as well as the triplets ) ;D we only wanted 2 , got what we wanted 1 boy 1 girl , thought we should stop now ..........But ... ;D i wouldnt change a thing though ......

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah, because raising fourteen children is a riot! W00t. Waaaay easier than having a real job.

you think this was a natural birth? Right on 'Actualfool'. The issue is, too many Americans do not feel a kinship or level of responsibility toward our fellow countrymen and live their lives in a self serving fashion---from the Wall street executives to this woman.

1) she lives AT HOME WITH HER PARENTS
2) She already had 6 children to care for
3) she obviously used fertility medications by virtue of the fact that there has been NO DOCUMENTED delivery of Octuplets WITHOUT fertility meds being utilized.

This was a selfish act by this woman and the tax payers of CA will be forced to bear the brunt of it, from medication/hospitalizations via medi-Cal x EIGHT, to enrollment in public schools x EIGHT, etc etc......

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 05:37 AM

Congrats. Your stats must be from the 1990s.

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Well, without really knowing anything about this woman, I'd say you're right. But if what is said is true, than I would say that having 14 kids whitout any real means to care for them is irresponsible. I would say that is what most are upset about. I have two kids and struggle to make ends meet sometimes. Childcare alone is almost equal to my mortgage payment. Can you imagine cost of diapers alone for this family?

Irresponsible is an understatement. This woman still lives AT HOME WITH HER PARENTS! There was no mention of her being married. Set aside the disproportional tax dollar burden that she has placed on her fellow Californians, how does one possibly have the time to care for each one of those children and to tend to their individual emotional needs? I can't help but imagine that their will be some unintended emotional scars on these 8 children--if not the older ones as well who might not feel as special and appreciated with these 8 being the focus of national attention.

Spider
01-30-2009, 05:45 AM
you think this was a natural birth? Right on 'Actualfool'. The issue is, too many Americans do not feel a kinship or level of responsibility toward our fellow countrymen and live their lives in a self serving fashion---from the Wall street executives to this woman.

3) she obviously used fertility medications by virtue of the fact that there has been NO DOCUMENTED delivery of Octuplets WITHOUT fertility meds being utilized.

This was a selfish act by this woman and the tax payers of CA will be forced to bear the brunt of it, from medication/hospitalizations via medi-Cal x EIGHT, to enrollment in public schools x EIGHT, etc etc......

And the tears keep flowing ........

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 05:49 AM
And the tears keep flowing ........

The permissive attitude by some on this board was hardly unexpected.

Spider
01-30-2009, 05:52 AM
The permissive attitude by some on this board was hardly unexpected.

Permissive ? or saying what has been done cant be undone ...... no use crying over spilled milk ..... Besides , the california gov would have wasted the money on something else .......
deal with it move on

Dedhed
01-30-2009, 05:58 AM
She's probably thinking that having octuplets will get her on Oprah and the community will give her a new house.

Sadly, a lot of those kids will have serious health issues and probably struggle.

Spider
01-30-2009, 05:58 AM
Just like with my truck , and the hit and run , at first I was upset , but what is done cant be undone , it has happened , I had to pick up the pieces and move on ( literally) does no good for me to Dwell on the Man I wish this didnt happen crap . it happened , now I got to deal with the aftermath ......

Spider
01-30-2009, 05:59 AM
She's probably thinking that having octuplets will get her on Oprah and the community will give her a new house.

Sadly, a lot of those kids will have serious health issues and probably struggle.

? ...... we all struggle ,the educated , White Collar , Blue collar , the uneducated ..........we all have some mountain in our life we must climb

Hogan11
01-30-2009, 06:06 AM
The Right To Life movement has a new heroine.

rugbythug
01-30-2009, 06:34 AM
I am all in favor of Big Families. I mean cmon it is America Freedom to Reproduce is the most basic one we have. People like the Duggers should be applauded for their Patience and perserverance. However I don't like when people's actions create a mess the just expect the state to clean up. Personal Responsiblity goes hand in hand with freedom. You can't have one with out the other.

Mogulseeker
01-30-2009, 07:05 AM

1) Its not my life

Japan depends on imports for food and commerce.... things like grain, meat, fruit and veggie dont just pop out of the middle of nowhere.

Californians couldn't be intidivually autonomous, and as farm production increases, so does irrigation. It depletes the water table at a faster rate than can be renewed. Over tilling the soil is bad and can eventually render the soil useless.

Then, theres the carbon issue which only worsens the situation.

Overpopulation is a problem.

baja
01-30-2009, 07:17 AM

you're talkin the population of Wyoming here. Dude you are related to every swinging dick in wyoming.

TheDave
01-30-2009, 07:24 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing...

Archer81
01-30-2009, 07:30 AM
So? Its her vagina. She can do what she wants with it...

:Broncos:

TheDave
01-30-2009, 07:31 AM
So? Its her vagina. She can do what she wants with it...

Absolutely and we can be upset for having to foot the bill...

Archer81
01-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Absolutely and we can be upset for having to foot the bill...

Yup.

It takes a village...

Rohirrim
01-30-2009, 07:34 AM
This woman does not have the sense of a dog. Although she does seem to have a dog's reproductive organs. Having that many children in this day and age is an act of mind-boggling unconsciousness.

alkemical
01-30-2009, 07:36 AM
I guess those baby drugs do work.

TheDave
01-30-2009, 07:39 AM
I guess those baby drugs do work.

They sure work for her...

There seems to be one major hiccup in the current evolution of human beings... there seems to be an inverse relationship between intelegence and fertility.

alkemical
01-30-2009, 07:42 AM

There seems to be one major hiccup in the current evolution of human beings... there seems to be an inverse relationship between intelegence and fertility.

Hmmm, you think income is also tied to that?

MagicHef
01-30-2009, 07:45 AM

Have you met her? From the articles I've read about this, I've seen nothing about her intelligence.

TheDave
01-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Hmmm, you think income is also tied to that?

I suppose... All I know is that in my sphere of people the smart responsible ones all seem to adhere to that 1.5 kid average. On the other hand my irresponsible dumb ass friends seems to be EXTREMELY fertile.

Nothing scientific here just observing the making of Idiocracy first hand.

TheDave
01-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Have you met her? From the articles I've read about this, I've seen nothing about her intelligence.

Taking fertility pills while single, living with grandma, and already having 6 kids... well...

Lets just say i made a guess based on that.

MagicHef
01-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Taking fertility pills while single, living with grandma, and already having 6 kids... well...

Lets just say i made a guess based on that.

Nothing I read said she was single. I'll make an assumption here, which is nothing that hasn't been going on in this thread for quite a while, maybe her husband is in the military. That would make moving in with parents to help care for children a logical move. Also, you didn't mention this, but others have, where does it say she has no health insurance?

TheDave
01-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Nothing I read said she was single. I'll make an assumption here, which is nothing that hasn't been going on in this thread for quite a while, maybe her husband is in the military. That would make moving in with parents to help care for children a logical move. Also, you didn't mention this, but others have, where does it say she has no health insurance?

and I would give your scenario a 1/10 chance of being right... Until i hear otherwise i'm going to go with the other 9/10ths

alkemical
01-30-2009, 08:10 AM
I suppose... All I know is that in my sphere of people the smart responsible ones all seem to adhere to that 1.5 kid average. On the other hand my irresponsible dumb ass friends seems to be EXTREMELY fertile.

Nothing scientific here just observing the making of Idiocracy first hand.

When you are poor, you **** alot. ;)

baja
01-30-2009, 08:13 AM

When you live at home with your parents in a 3 bedroom house with your six kids and you take fertility pills for more kids the actions reflect on your intelligence. What is this anyway a work at home job?

Archer81
01-30-2009, 08:16 AM

Angelina Jolie disproves that.

cutthemdown
01-30-2009, 08:16 AM
I read she lives with parents and has no man? Why all the kids? This many twins will have medical problems at a higher rate from what i understand.

The stupidity of some people is amazing.

Archer81
01-30-2009, 08:17 AM
When you live at home with your parents in a 3 bedroom house with your six kids and you take fertility pills for more kids the actions reflect on your intelligence. What is this anyway a work at home job?

Well, she is prepping for retirement. She will get $1000 a kid per month for 18 years...

baja
01-30-2009, 08:20 AM

That is sure true here in Mexico, hell go under any bridge any time and you will find a line of parked cars with heavily tinted windows rocking away. I bet half of the units conceived here are back seat babies.

Circle Orange
01-30-2009, 08:21 AM

Keep yer pants on, mac...you've got that gleam in your eye...ROFL!

Circle Orange
01-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Well, she is prepping for retirement. She will get $1000 a kid per month for 18 years...

Cost of living will negate that...she'll be the fattest slum mom with mental breakdown you ever saw.

alkemical
01-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Angelina Jolie disproves that.

Not really.

alkemical
01-30-2009, 08:37 AM
That is sure true here in Mexico, hell go under any bridge any time and you will find a line of parked cars with heavily tinted windows rocking away. I bet half of the units conceived here are back seat babies.

i don't doubt it at all.

MagicHef
01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
and I would give your scenario a 1/10 chance of being right... Until i hear otherwise i'm going to go with the other 9/10ths

How about this: Her and her husband have 6 kids, and decide that they want one more. They have trouble conceiving, so she goes on fertility drugs. She gets pregnant, and he skips out on the family. Or dies. Or anything else, really. What percentage would you give those?

My point is not that any of these are the correct story, but that there are a lot of possibilities of how this family got to this point in their lives. It seems, however, that there is only one accepted story, when there really is no evidence to support that story over any other.

Rohirrim
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM

Well, we know she can't count how many nipples she has. Ha!

TheDave
01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
How about this: Her and her husband have 6 kids, and decide that they want one more. They have trouble conceiving, so she goes on fertility drugs. She gets pregnant, and he skips out on the family. Or dies. Or anything else, really. What percentage would you give those?

My point is not that any of these are the correct story, but that there are a lot of possibilities of how this family got to this point in their lives. It seems, however, that there is only one accepted story, when there really is no evidence to support that story over any other.

How about this... When all the facts come out I will adjust my opinion accordingly. For now this is my opinion based on what i have read and/or heard reported.

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 09:47 AM

It is well established that ANY Fertility specialist or even an OB/GYN would conduct a SONOGRAM priot to fertilization to make sure that there are not TOO MANY EGGS present. The common rule of thumb is if there are more than 4--the physicians will insist that the woman does not engage in intercourse. Clomiphene can make those #'s increase greatly--it's relatively cheap and being that she has already had children and was described as relatively young and given her location in California--it is highly likely that she was getting her meds from accross the border as no reputable physician would follow thru with such an irresponsible course of therapy. Other therapies such as Follistim/Ovidrel and Gonal-F are expensive--surely out of the price range of a single mother of 6 living with her mother and father.

USMCBladerunner
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
the article I read this morning, Yahoo (go find it yourself) refered to a husband, it said that he is taking contract work in Iraq to make extra money...the article also said that these babies were each implanted embryos, all 8 of them.

So those of you who are upset about a mother of six taking fertility drugs, it's worse than that. It's a mother of six who asked for/allowed 8 embryos to be implanted in her uterus.

I'm all for individual reproductive choice, and I would never vote to remove such choice from American citizens. But this is social irresponsibility to a fine point. It is fortunate that such people are relatively few (not counting their children of course).

Archer81
01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
the article I read this morning, Yahoo (go find it yourself) refered to a husband, it said that he is taking contract work in Iraq to make extra money...the article also said that these babies were each implanted embryos, all 8 of them.

So those of you who are upset about a mother of six taking fertility drugs, it's worse than that. It's a mother of six who asked for/allowed 8 embryos to be implanted in her uterus.

I'm all for individual reproductive choice, and I would never vote to remove such choice from American citizens. But this is social irresponsibility to a fine point. It is fortunate that such people are relatively few (not counting their children of course).

You know normally they implant that many because of the high rate of failure associated with invitro. The drugs are taken to help the pregnancy stick. Its entirely possible they did the same thing the first time and thats how they got six. Not sure why she'd want more then that but its not really our business at the end of the day.

MagicHef
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
How about this... When all the facts come out I will adjust my opinion accordingly. For now this is my opinion based on what i have read and/or heard reported.

That's great. I hope that's exactly what you do. I also hope that you weren't expecting to have your opinion go unchallenged when you post it on a forum.

TheDave
01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I also hope that you weren't expecting to have your opinion go unchallenged when you post it on a forum.

Challenge away... :thumbs:

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/30/earlyshow/health/main4764432.shtml

CBS News has learned that the family of the octuplets born this week outside Los Angeles filed for bankruptcy and abandoned a home a little over a year-and-a-half ago.

Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman says the mother is in her mid-thirties and lives with her parents.

There's been no mention of the octuplets' father, Kauffman observes.

The grandfather, she adds, is apparently going to head back to his native Iraq to earn money for the growing family. He told CBS News he's a former Iraqi military man.
Kauffman reported Thursday, and the octuplets' maternal grandmother now confirms to the Los Angeles Times, that the babies' mother already had six young children.

And a family acquaintance had told Kauffman that two of the six other kids are twins, and the six range in age from about two to about seven.

The mother's name is still being kept under wraps.

But her mother, Angela Suleman, also tells the newspaper her daughter conceived the octuplets through a fertility program.

Suleman told the Times her daughter had embryos implanted and, "They all happened to take."

On The Early Show Friday, the scientific director of an Atlanta-area fertility clinic blasted whichever clinic did the implantations, saying he's "stunned."

Doctors at the hospital where the octuplets were born, Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center in Bellflower, Calif., some 17 miles southeast of L.A., say the patient came to them already three months pregnant.

Asked at a news conference whether fertility assistance should be provided for a mother who already has multiple children, Dr. Harold Henry, part of the team that delivered the octuplets, said, "Kaiser has no policy on that, adding that doctors counseled the woman on her options.

"The options," said Henry, "were to continue the pregnancy or to selectively abort. The patient chose to continue the pregnancy."

Dr. Karen Maples, who also helped deliver the octuplets, read a statement from the mother saying, "My family and I are ecstatic about all of their arrivals."

The woman and her children live in a neighborhood of small, one-story homes, Kauffman reports, all with two-to-three bedrooms at most. Soon, she pointed out, there will be 14 children and at least three adults living in one of the homes -- until the grandfather heads back to his native Iraq,

Kauffman says unanswered questions include where the woman got the fertility treatments and how they were paid for.

On The Early Show Friday, Michael Tucker, scientific director of Georgia Reproductive Specialists, says all these developments leave him "stunned. As the story's unfolded and it's gone from the potential use of just fertility drugs, or misuse thereof, to actual, apparently, IVF (in-vitro fertilization) with transfer of embryos, this is just remarkable to me that any practitioner in our field of reproductive medicine would undertake such a practice." --

Tucker, who has a doctorate in reproductive physiology, says it's "absolutely" possible the octuplets' mother got pregnant with them by taking fertility drugs on her own without the help of a clinic, "and that seemed the most plausible scenario, simply because the profession, we're policed by the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, has focused so minutely on the fact that we need to reduce the number of embryos that we transfer. We really are all about seeking the one, the one embryo that's going to make the healthy, single-born baby.

"And this kind of multiple plethora excess of babies is too much of a good thing. And it's rather a slap in the face of the whole profession, simply because it's going in the wrong direction.

"And it's unfortunate, because the media pick up on this and seem to go, I think, Arthur Kaplan from UPenn (University of Pennsylvania) said the media tend to go goo-goo gaga over this and, in fact, it's really a bit of a medical disaster."

"Had she walked into a fertility clinic and said, 'Listen, I've got other children, the oldest seven, the youngest two,' co-anchor Julie Chen asked Tucker, "is there any ethical responsibility on the clinic's part to say, 'I'm not going to treat you,' or, 'You know what? This is not a good idea?" '

"Suffice to say," Tucker responded, "I've been in this business for 25 years now. And it's pretty much standard practice in all clinics to have some form of psychological evaluation of the patient. Also, their sociological circumstances. And I'm stunned, actually, that a clinic would proceed to treat a patient in this circumstance and then even to get to perhaps the transfer of embryos and ponder the transfer in, I believe, the lady's mid-30s, a 35-year-old -- she should be receiving two embryos, maximum, as a transfer into her uterus to have had eight transferred is somewhat -- is extremely irresponsible."

The CA state board of medical examiners needs to sanction the physician that performed the IVF in addition to the clinic in which they work. This falls outside the scope of traditional medical/fertility practices just as prescribing steroids and GH to young 20 year old, non orchioectomy effected males would--which is a practice at some 'aging clinics' throughout the country.

Rohirrim
01-30-2009, 10:57 AM
And when I fill out my tax check in a couple of months I'll know that I'm doing my little bit to help support these children. Is this a great country, or what?

TheDave
01-30-2009, 10:58 AM
So it's actually worse than i thought... Good lord people are ****ing weird.

alkemical
01-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Word.

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 11:03 AM

what was it that TO said to media regarding if Jeff Garcia was gay--" If if looks like a rat, smells, like a rat, by golly ......."

All I had to hear was that this woman already had 6 children and was living at home with her parents.

MagicHef
01-30-2009, 11:07 AM
On The Early Show Friday, Michael Tucker, scientific director of Georgia Reproductive Specialists, says all these developments leave him "stunned. As the story's unfolded and it's gone from the potential use of just fertility drugs, or misuse thereof, to actual, apparently, IVF (in-vitro fertilization) with transfer of embryos, this is just remarkable to me that any practitioner in our field of reproductive medicine would undertake such a practice."

Tucker, who has a doctorate in reproductive physiology, says it's "absolutely" possible the octuplets' mother got pregnant with them by taking fertility drugs on her own without the help of a clinic, "and that seemed the most plausible scenario, simply because the profession, we're policed by the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, has focused so minutely on the fact that we need to reduce the number of embryos that we transfer. We really are all about seeking the one, the one embryo that's going to make the healthy, single-born baby.

Alright. That is pretty weird. Which is it, though? The same guy says it's apparent that it's IVF, then that her taking fertility drugs on her own is the most plausible scenario.

Pseudofool
01-30-2009, 11:11 AM

I doubt it was a natural birth, but I'm sure the plan was not to have eight babies to screw the system. Who knows, they could be some religious freaks.

I just think the whole welfare-mom-screwing-the-system argument is one of the most shallow and despicable stances a human can take.

TheDave
01-30-2009, 11:11 AM
what was it that TO said to media regarding if Jeff Garcia was gay--" If if looks like a rat, smells, like a rat, by golly ......."

All I had to hear was that this woman already had 6 children and was living at home with her parents.

When you first hear this kind of **** you hope there is more to the story.

Unfortunatly the more you hear the worse it gets... usually.

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I doubt it was a natural birth, but I'm sure the plan was not to have eight babies to screw the system. Who knows, they could be some religious freaks.

I just think the whole welfare-mom-screwing-the-system argument is one of the most shallow and despicable stances a human can take.

why is that shallow? How do you think the 'welfare mom screwing the system' stereotype came to be? Was that role cast in a movie somewhere?

Truthfully, this is a more a story abut one persons absolute disregard for not only herself, but her family members who have now been tasked with helping her to raise FOURTEEN children and her fellow tax payers in the state of CA who will undoubtedly be tasked with a disproportionate amount of liability to ensure that these children wind up healthy and educated. Left to her own devices she would fail miserably. When accepting social services the individual has a relationship and responsibility to those around them--she apparently does not respect that relationship.

Rock Chalk
01-30-2009, 11:43 AM

See points #1 and #2.

Most importantly, regardless of my opinion on whether or not she is irresponsible, I have absolutely NO RIGHT to condemn someone's choice regarding their family. None of us has that right. You know why? Because if you had that right then everyone has the right with everyone else.

What if some schmuck doesnt like the way my family unit works? No, its best to let this woman do her thing. Probably wont be best for the kids but I do not know that for certain and no one else does either.

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
See points #1 and #2.

Most importantly, regardless of my opinion on whether or not she is irresponsible, I have absolutely NO RIGHT to condemn someone's choice regarding their family. None of us has that right. You know why? Because if you had that right then everyone has the right with everyone else.

What if some schmuck doesnt like the way my family unit works? No, its best to let this woman do her thing. Probably wont be best for the kids but I do not know that for certain and no one else does either.

That's all well and dandy until she is taking public aid including healthcare, Schools, school lunch etc. When that happens, their is a social contract that she enters into that is largely INGNORED by our society nowadays. Her take is very disproportionate compared to most. I mean six children is a large family to MOST nowadays, yet she CHOSE to have eight more all the while living at home with her parents. So while I agree with you to an extent, it is quite obvious that she is incapable of providing a healthy environment for her children in a 2-3 bedroom home and that the burden will fall onto the people of CA.

p7superfly
01-30-2009, 01:21 PM
This sounds cult-ish.

Garcia Bronco
01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
At what point, as a society, do we take away someones "breeding" rights?

Rock Chalk
01-30-2009, 01:43 PM
That's all well and dandy until she is taking public aid including healthcare, Schools, school lunch etc. When that happens, their is a social contract that she enters into that is largely INGNORED by our society nowadays. Her take is very disproportionate compared to most. I mean six children is a large family to MOST nowadays, yet she CHOSE to have eight more all the while living at home with her parents. So while I agree with you to an extent, it is quite obvious that she is incapable of providing a healthy environment for her children in a 2-3 bedroom home and that the burden will fall onto the people of CA.

Illegal mexicans do more damage to the social welfare of our country than the less than .001% of people that have more than 6 children in this country do.

I dont care if she can take care of them or not, I dont care if California has to do it. If California would put their priorities in order and care for you know, ACTUAL ****ING CITIZENS and kick out the god damn illegals, this wouldnt be an issue would it? No.

And at no point ever does the government or society have the right to tell someone whether or not they can have children. As long as they are not abusive or a danger to themselves or the children in anyway then they can do what the **** they want. If they want to live at their parents house that's their choice and their parents choice. Not yours or the governments.

bombay
01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
People here who took welfare to pay for their own child to be born shouldn't say much. Especially when they pretend to be conservatives.

kappys
01-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Illegal mexicans do more damage to the social welfare of our country than the less than .001% of people that have more than 6 children in this country do.

I dont care if she can take care of them or not, I dont care if California has to do it. If California would put their priorities in order and care for you know, ACTUAL ****ING CITIZENS and kick out the god damn illegals, this wouldnt be an issue would it? No.

And at no point ever does the government or society have the right to tell someone whether or not they can have children. As long as they are not abusive or a danger to themselves or the children in anyway then they can do what the **** they want. If they want to live at their parents house that's their choice and their parents choice. Not yours or the governments.

For arguments sake if someone is abusive and a danger to their children we have the right to take those children away. Would you be in favor of the right to forced sterilization(temporary or permanent)?

TheDave
01-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Unfortunately ... never.

Quick story,

My wife has a step sister who at 15 got knocked up...

By 18 she had 2 more...

By 19 she was in jail for posession and the fathers (yes plural) of the first 3 got custody...

In jail they offered to "Tie her tubes" for free. Unfortunately she declined...

Once she got out, she bounced around between meth/crack houses for the next 5 years and managed to create 3 more bastards...

When she was finally jailed again her kids were eating out of garbage cans living in an abandoned crack house somewhere in Las Vegas... PREGNANT with bastard #7....

While in jail again they offered to tie her tubes for free after she dilivered #7... Of course she declined again.

If our system can't figure out a way to sterilize her I doubt they ever will.

Garcia Bronco
01-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately ... never.

Quick story,

My wife has a step sister who at 15 got knocked up...

By 18 she had 2 more...

By 19 she was in jail for posession and the fathers (yes plural) of the first 3 got custody...

In jail they offered to "Tie her tubes" for free. Unfortunately she declined...

Once she got out, she bounced around between meth/crack houses for the next 5 years and managed to create 3 more bastards...

When she was finally jailed again her kids were eating out of garbage cans living in an abandoned crack house somewhere in Las Vegas... PREGNANT with bastard #7....

While in jail again they offered to tie her tubes for free after she dilivered #7... Of course she declined again.

If our system can't figure out a way to sterilize her I doubt they ever will.

Wow.

Archer81
01-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Hopefully never. Its not something you give the goverment a right to do. Whats to stop them in that case for euthanizing the mentally disabled or physically impaired? Or genetic tampering to create "perfect" people?

Irish Stout
01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
People here who took welfare to pay for their own child to be born shouldn't say much. Especially when they pretend to be conservatives.

Dude that wasn't me, I'm registered to the A-hole party.

DomCasual
01-30-2009, 02:29 PM

An awfully slippery slope, wouldn't you say?

baja
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM

Tell the truth dude you think only college educated white people should reproduce.

bombay
01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Dude that wasn't me, I'm registered to the A-hole party.

My absurd remark was a response to someone else's b.s.

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Or genetic tampering to create "perfect" people?

can I just screen for the propensity to be a Raider's fan? LOL

broncofan7
01-30-2009, 02:51 PM

I whole heartedy agree that illegal immigration has had untoward effects on our local schools and health care system . I witnessed the abuse of medical and Pharmacy benefits 1st hand and I have a friend who has been told not to even apply to Dallas Independent school district as a teacher unless she was bilingual--with that 2nd language being Espanol of course. This influx of illegals who are not able to grasp English 1st are also causing some schools to receive less than stellar ratings and some have had to be closed. If every immigrant group behaved as SOME of the illegals have upon first entering this country--can anyone imagine the # of dialects and languages we would be speaking? I am of the opinion that unless they are able to be a functional literate with the English language, they should certainly not receive any government aid, not limited to Healthcare, schooling, food stamps or housing or any ohter government program reserved for citizens who actually care to assimilate into the "American lifestyle".

broncosteven
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Congrats. Your stats must be from the 1990s.

The more expensive bill is only 6 years old and the cheaper one is just over a year.

1 Mill! Again where are you getting this price from?

Spider
01-30-2009, 06:09 PM
So where has all of this bitching got everyone ?
should we gather up a lynch mob and do some population control ?

Whats the answer ?

Miss I.
01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
So where has all of this b****ing got everyone ?
should we gather up a lynch mob and do some population control ?

Whats the answer ?

Here's the answer Spider. ROFL!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Spider
01-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Here's the answer Spider. ROFL!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>Send them to star trek conventions ?

Miss I.
01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Send them to star trek conventions ?

Nevermind, you asked for Star Trek, I will give you Star Trek

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/luVjkTEIoJc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/luVjkTEIoJc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Spider
01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Nevermind, you asked for Star Trek, I will give you Star Trek

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/luVjkTEIoJc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/luVjkTEIoJc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am a big time trekkie .. in fact all other trekkies call me Lord Vader

Miss I.
01-30-2009, 07:05 PM
I am a big time trekkie .. in fact all other trekkies call me Lord Vader

See now I am a big python fan, I mean Monty Python, dang it again. ;D

Spider
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM

:wiggle:

baja
01-30-2009, 07:35 PM

No, you're a dude.

Miss I.
01-30-2009, 07:37 PM
No, you're a dude.

No definitely a woman. Ask Oskie, he's met me. Definitely I am woman

broncofan7
01-31-2009, 05:41 AM

Sure he has buddy;)
care to post a pic with you holding up a sign that has your username on it?:flower:

baja
01-31-2009, 05:59 AM

Oskie! No I'm afraid we are going to have to see some pictures here.

There are a few words that women rarely use and co****ckker is one of them and you used that work yesterday. So now we are going to have see a picture with you holding a sign saying baja you're wrong again. ;D

Spider
01-31-2009, 06:44 AM

:rofl: I sure in the hell hope you are a woman , with all of the flirting I have done , it would really ruin my tough guy image flirting with a man ;D
................ P.S. I have seen her picture she is a woman . pretty one at that

baja
01-31-2009, 07:10 AM
:rofl: I sure in the hell hope you are a woman , with all of the flirting I have done , it would really ruin my tough guy image flirting with a man ;D
<b>................ P.S. I have seen her picture she is a woman . pretty one at that</b>

Ya sure Spider, that's what I'd be sayin if I were you too. ;D

Spider
01-31-2009, 07:14 AM
</b>

Ya sure Spider, that's what I'd be sayin if I were you too. ;D

:rofl:

gunns
01-31-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm all for sterilization of some and I'm not just talking the women. There are some horrible parents out there. There is the old argument out there about having to have a license to drive a car.....blah blah blah.

I love what Wisconsin did, a woman on welfare that gets pregnant does not get to add that child to get benefits. When I asked our administrators why our state doesn't do that they said you can't separate a child from it's parent??? So I then asked if I got pregnant would they give me a raise? Yeah I paid for that question for awhile.

What a lot of you don't realize is the welfare system TRIES to make people eligible. When welfare reform came about there were some excellent concepts. 5 years lifetime max for TANF, some have 3 years, working for food stamp benefits, etc. Then it all changed to 5 years max..... BUT, or IF, same with working for food stamps. They call them barriers, I call them excuses. Medicaid is now requiring a certified copy of a birth certificate for benefits, but illegals children born in the country are then citizens and they get it. And an illegal pregnant mother cannot get medicaid BUT she can get it for just the month of birth so most Dr's just accumulate the bill for that month and waaalaaa, it's paid for. Food stamps are the worse, they even advertise to get people to apply. Wonder what that costs? Finally, and I won't go into detail but one of the welfare systems biggest sucking leeches are the legal immigrants and they prove to be some of the biggest frauders because the system allows it. Of course I can't forget the American citizen. They out do both classes as far as frauding, they've had more practice and feel they are entitled, they aren't. With the economy the way it is there should be a serious revamping but of course that's exactly why there won't be, those poor, poor people out there. Give me a break.

Spider
01-31-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm all for sterilization of some and I'm not just talking the women. There are some horrible parents out there. There is the old argument out there about having to have a license to drive a car.....blah blah blah.

I love what Wisconsin did, a woman on welfare that gets pregnant does not get to add that child to get benefits. When I asked our administrators why our state doesn't do that they said you can't separate a child from it's parent??? So I then asked if I got pregnant would they give me a raise? Yeah I paid for that question for awhile.

What a lot of you don't realize is the welfare system TRIES to make people eligible. When welfare reform came about there were some excellent concepts. 5 years lifetime max for TANF, some have 3 years, working for food stamp benefits, etc. Then it all changed to 5 years max..... BUT, or IF, same with working for food stamps. They call them barriers, I call them excuses. Medicaid is now requiring a certified copy of a birth certificate for benefits, but illegals children born in the country are then citizens and they get it. And an illegal pregnant mother cannot get medicaid BUT she can get it for just the month of birth so most Dr's just accumulate the bill for that month and waaalaaa, it's paid for. Food stamps are the worse, they even advertise to get people to apply. Wonder what that costs? Finally, and I won't go into detail but one of the welfare systems biggest sucking leeches are the legal immigrants and they prove to be some of the biggest frauders because the system allows it. Of course I can't forget the American citizen. They out do both classes as far as frauding, they've had more practice and feel they are entitled, they aren't. With the economy the way it is there should be a serious revamping but of course that's exactly why there won't be, those poor, poor people out there. Give me a break.
more and more people will be on them in the near future .........

Miss I.
01-31-2009, 08:12 AM
I think forced sterilization is a slippery slope. I read about this during some sociology courses and the problem is that the sterilization is generally a lot of poor people, who quite often are minorities. The study I looked at was about Native Americans and it became clear this sterilization had a racial component. I agree that welfare needs to enforce more limits, both on who gets things and how long you can use it. There also has to be a plan to get people some sort of basic training to become independent. And sometimes children need to be taken away, but that system is broken too.

Spider
01-31-2009, 08:20 AM
And sometimes children need to be taken away, but that system is broken too.

I remember Ellian gonzalez , and asking Janet Reno if she wanted any of my kids also ........ Needless to say , all of my kids still live at home ;D

gunns
01-31-2009, 08:33 AM
I think forced sterilization is a slippery slope. I read about this during some sociology courses and the problem is that the sterilization is generally a lot of poor people, who quite often are minorities. The study I looked at was about Native Americans and it became clear this sterilization had a racial component. I agree that welfare needs to enforce more limits, both on who gets things and how long you can use it. There also has to be a plan to get people some sort of basic training to become independent. And sometimes children need to be taken away, but that system is broken too.

QFT. But the fact is the largest percentage on welfare is white Americans. They need to look at not just someone on welfare, but someone using it as a lifestyle AND someone that continues to make the decision to procreate while on it AND the drug abusers.

There are trainings to get people independent but that's where the BUTs, ORs, IFs came in. BUT not if you're depressed (you're depressed because you are sitting at home thinking how depressed you are, which gives you more time to procreate and any mental health provider will state you're depressed if you tell them you are), OR if you are a "hard core" case which is the girls that got pregnant young and aren't job ready (sorry, you were job ready when that kid popped out), IF you have lack of transportation (I took the bus for 12 years with 6 kids to get to work and them to school and day care). My favorite for food stamps is if you have kids under the age of 6 you don't have to do anything to get food stamps and if you have two your husband can use one and you can use the other for an exemption. Don't they need it probably more than anyone? It's crazy. Choose to have kids, choose to provide for them.

Miss I.
01-31-2009, 08:44 AM
QFT. But the fact is the largest percentage on welfare is white Americans. They need to look at not just someone on welfare, but someone using it as a lifestyle AND someone that continues to make the decision to procreate while on it AND the drug abusers.

There are trainings to get people independent but that's where the BUTs, ORs, IFs came in. BUT not if you're depressed (you're depressed because you are sitting at home thinking how depressed you are, which gives you more time to procreate and any mental health provider will state you're depressed if you tell them you are), OR if you are a "hard core" case which is the girls that got pregnant young and aren't job ready (sorry, you were job ready when that kid popped out), IF you have lack of transportation (I took the bus for 12 years with 6 kids to get to work and them to school and day care). My favorite for food stamps is if you have kids under the age of 6 you don't have to do anything to get food stamps and if you have two your husband can use one and you can use the other for an exemption. Don't they need it probably more than anyone? It's crazy. Choose to have kids, choose to provide for them.

I agree, if you choose to have kids you need to provide for them. IF you can't then don't do it. That's why I cannot understand having 8 babies when she already had six, regardless of living at home and the bankruptcy, 14 kids is just insane, but particularly worse if they aren't fiscally solvent enough to take care of them. And emotionally those kids are going to get overlooked. I mean I am one of 4 and that was tough enough for my mom and she didn't have to work when we were young.

Spider
01-31-2009, 08:59 AM

;D you got a big family like I have , although 4 of my 6 were not planned .... I am just lucky enough to have a good trade , though I sacrifice alot for being gone .......If I had a reg job , no way I could raise my kids without help ........

barryr
01-31-2009, 11:34 AM
She's a single woman living with her mom and has 14 kids now. Hopefully CA has enough money to continue to pay her welfare checks. Government spending at its finest.

gunns
01-31-2009, 12:04 PM
;D you got a big family like I have , although 4 of my 6 were not planned .... I am just lucky enough to have a good trade , though I sacrifice alot for being gone .......If I had a reg job , no way I could raise my kids without help ........

Yes I do and 5 of mine weren't planned. Sneaky little buggars. You have a good trade so you could take care of them, that's what I did. I may not have planned them but I chose to have them so it was my responsibility.

Spider
01-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes I do and 5 of mine weren't planned. Sneaky little buggars. You have a good trade so you could take care of them, that's what I did. I may not have planned them but I chose to have them so it was my responsibility.

exactly , ;D they are sneaky , but we are fortunate enough to be able to take care of our kids , but alot of folks are not in a position to do so , I would never tell anyone to have an abortion ........

gunns
01-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Are they a Spanish family? Name sounds more like a Bosnian family.

LOS ANGELES – The woman who gave birth to octuplets this week conceived all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization, is not married and has been obsessed with having children since she was a teenager, her mother said.

Angela Suleman told The Associated Press she was not supportive when her daughter, Nadya Suleman, decided to have more embryos implanted last year.

"It can't go on any longer," she said in a phone interview Friday. "She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way. I firmly believe in marriage. But she didn't want to get married."

Nadya Suleman, 33, gave birth Monday in nearby Bellflower. She was expected to remain in the hospital for at least a few more days, and her newborns for at least a month.

A spokeswoman at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center said the babies were doing well and seven were breathing unassisted.

While her daughter recovers, Angela Suleman is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."

Angela Suleman said her daughter always had trouble conceiving and underwent in vitro fertilization treatments because her fallopian tubes are "plugged up."

There were frozen embryos left over after her previous pregnancies and her daughter didn't want them destroyed, so she decided to have more children.

Her mother and doctors have said the woman was told she had the option to abort some of the embryos and, later, the fetuses. She refused.

Her mother said she does not believe her daughter will have any more children.

"She doesn't have any more (frozen embryos), so it's over now," she said. "It has to be."

Nadya Suleman wanted to have children since she was a teenager, "but luckily she couldn't," her mother said.

"Instead of becoming a kindergarten teacher or something, she started having them, but not the normal way," he mother said.

Her daughter's obsession with children caused Angela Suleman considerable stress, so she sought help from a psychologist, who told her to order her daughter out of the house.

"Maybe she wouldn't have had so many kids then, but she is a grown woman," Angela Suleman said. "I feel responsible and I didn't want to throw her out."

Yolanda Garcia, 49, of Whittier, said she helped care for Nadya Suleman's autistic son three years ago.

"From what I could tell back then, she was pretty happy with herself, saying she liked having kids and she wanted 12 kids in all," Garcia told the Long Beach Press-Telegram.

"She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school at the same time?"' she added. "And she said it's because she got paid for it."

Garcia said she did not ask for details.

Nadya Suleman holds a 2006 degree in child and adolescent development from California State University, Fullerton, and as late as last spring she was studying for a master's degree in counseling, college spokeswoman Paula Selleck told the Press-Telegram.

Her fertility doctor has not been identified. Her mother told the Los Angeles Times all the children came from the same sperm donor but she declined to identify him.

Birth certificates reviewed by The Associated Press identify a David Solomon as the father for the four oldest children. Certificates for the other children were not immediately available.

The news that the octuplets' mother already had six children sparked an ethical debate. Some medical experts were disturbed to hear that she was offered fertility treatment, and troubled by the possibility that she was implanted with so many embryos.

Others worried that she would be overwhelmed trying to raise so many children and would end up relying on public support.

The eight babies — six boys and two girls — were delivered by Cesarean section weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces and 3 pounds, 4 ounces. Forty-six physicians and staff assisted in the deliveries

Archer81
01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
father of the 8 is an Iraqi national...least by one story I heard.

Spider
02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090206/ap_on_re_us/octuplets Mother of octuplets speaks out .....

El Minion
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Octuplets' mother receives public assistance [UPDATED] (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/02/nadya-suleman-w.html)
4:45 PM, February 9, 2009
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/09/suleman.jpg
Nadya Suleman, the woman who gave birth to octuplets last month, is receiving $490 a month in food stamps, and three of her first six children are disabled and receiving federal assistance, her publicist confirmed to The Times.

Publicist Michael Furtney confirmed the information after two sources told The Times that Suleman was receiving food stamps and federal supplemental security income.

Suleman had told NBC News correspondent Ann Curry in an interview that she was not receiving welfare. Furtney said Suleman didn't consider the food stamps and SSI to be welfare.

“In Nadya’s view, the money that she gets from the food stamp program ... and the resources disabilities payments she gets for her three children are not welfare," he said. "They are part of programs designed to help people with need, and she does not see that as welfare."

Furtney declined to say what kinds of disabilities the three children have. Nadya Suleman told NBC that she was struggling financially to support her six children before the birth of her octuplets, but that she knows she will be able to support them, especially after she earns her master’s degree in counseling.

"I will feed them," Suleman said in the interview, responding to criticism that she would have difficulty providing emotional and financial support for them. "I will do the best I possibly can. In my own way, in my own faith, I do believe wholeheartedly that God will provide in his own way."

[Updated:

--Jessica Garrison and Garrett Therolf

broncofan7
02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Octuplets' mother receives public assistance [UPDATED] (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/02/nadya-suleman-w.html)
4:45 PM, February 9, 2009
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/09/suleman.jpg
Nadya Suleman, the woman who gave birth to octuplets last month, is receiving $490 a month in food stamps, and three of her first six children are disabled and receiving federal assistance, her publicist confirmed to The Times.

Publicist Michael Furtney confirmed the information after two sources told The Times that Suleman was receiving food stamps and federal supplemental security income.

Suleman had told NBC News correspondent Ann Curry in an interview that she was not receiving welfare. Furtney said Suleman didn't consider the food stamps and SSI to be welfare.

“In Nadya’s view, the money that she gets from the food stamp program ... and the resources disabilities payments she gets for her three children are not welfare," he said. "They are part of programs designed to help people with need, and she does not see that as welfare."

Furtney declined to say what kinds of disabilities the three children have. Nadya Suleman told NBC that she was struggling financially to support her six children before the birth of her octuplets, but that she knows she will be able to support them, especially after she earns her master’s degree in counseling.

"I will feed them," Suleman said in the interview, responding to criticism that she would have difficulty providing emotional and financial support for them. "I will do the best I possibly can. In my own way, in my own faith, I do believe wholeheartedly that God will provide in his own way."

[Updated:

--Jessica Garrison and Garrett Therolf

She is obviously a sociopath--what needs to happen is the State needs to hold the Physicians accountable for implanting the 6 embryos to a woman who laready HAD 6 children and not good way to provide for them and make the Physicians pay child support for each one. That would help out the state of CA and serve as a lesson in Reproductive Physician responsibility.

broncofan7
02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090210/ap_on_re_us/octuplets

LOS ANGELES – The mother of octuplets was implanted with those embryos at a Beverly Hills fertility clinic run by a well-known — and controversial — specialist who pioneered a method of implantation. Dr. Michael Kamrava's name emerged Monday as a result of an interview aired Monday on NBC with Nadya Suleman, who gave birth to eight babies Jan. 26.

Over the past two weeks, the identity of Suleman's fertility doctor has been a source of great mystery because of questions over the ethics of implanting numerous embryos in a woman who already had six children.

Kamrava, 57, would not comment on the issue, but told reporters outside his clinic on Rodeo Drive that he had granted an interview to one of the television networks. When asked to provide more detail, he said, "Watch the news."

Without identifying the doctor, the Medical Board of California said last week it was looking into the Suleman case to see if there was a "violation of the standard of care." The medical board said Monday it has not taken any disciplinary action against Kamrava in the past.

In the NBC interview, Suleman did not identify her doctor by name, but said that she went to the West Coast IVF Clinic in Beverly Hills — of which Kamrava is director — and that all 14 of her children were conceived with help from the same doctor. In 2006, Los Angeles TV station KTLA ran a story on infertility that showed Kamrava treating Suleman and discussing embryo implantation.

Kamrava graduated from the University of Illinois and went to medical school at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, according to state records and his Web site.

Some fertility specialists said Kamrava is a controversial figure in the field.

"He's tried some novel techniques and some of those methods have been controversial," said Dr. John Jain, founder of Santa Monica Fertility Specialists.

Jain criticized the decision to implant so many embryos, saying: "I do think that this doctor really stepped outside the guidelines in a very extreme manner, and as such, put both the mother and children at extra high risk of disability and even death."

Dr. Jeffrey Steinberg, a professional acquaintance of Kamrava's, said Kamrava worked to develop an embryo transfer device that allows doctors to implant an embryo — or sometimes sperm with an unfertilized egg — directly into the uterine lining.

"Usually we inject the embryos into the uterus and they float around and attach themselves," Steinberg said. However, Steinberg said there was no evidence the method improved success rates for pregnancy.

It was not immediately known if the technique was used on Suleman.

Suleman said she had six embryos implanted for each of her pregnancies. The octuplets were a surprise result of her last set of six embryos, she said, explaining she had expected twins at most. Two of the embryos evidently divided in the womb.

Medical ethicists have criticized the implanting of so many embryos. National guidelines put the norm at two to three embryos for a woman of Suleman's age, except in extraordinary circumstances.

Kamrava's clinic performed 20 in vitro procedures on women under 35 in 2006, according to the most recent national report compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of those 20 procedures, four resulted in pregnancies and two in births. One woman delivered twins.

The average number of embryos he transferred per procedure for women under 35 was 3.5, the report said. Fertility doctors often implant more than one embryo to increase the chances that one will take hold.

An in-vitro procedure typically costs between $8,000 and $15,000. Asked on NBC how she was able to afford the treatments, Suleman said she had saved money and used some of the more than $165,000 in disability payments she received after being injured in a 1999 riot at a state mental hospital where she worked.
She also told NBC that she does not intend to go on welfare, though her publicist confirmed Monday that Suleman already receives food stamps and child disability payments to help feed and care for her six other children.

Suleman's publicist Mike Furtney said she receives $490 a month in food stamps. Furtney said Suleman did not want to disclose the nature of her children's disabilities or the nature of those payments.

"In her view these are just payments made for people with legitimate needs and are not, in her view, welfare," Furtney said. "She just believes that there are programs for people with needs and she and her children qualify for some of them."
Dr. Richard Paulson, who heads the fertility program at the University of Southern California, cautioned against rushing to judgment about the fertility treatment in this case because questions remain about the quality of Suleman's eggs and whether there were any extraordinary circumstances that would lead Kamrava to transfer so many embryos.

As for the technique Kamrava pioneered, "those of us who are the scientists in the field do not feel this is a significant improvement," Paulson said. He said some doctors advertise that technique as "a way of making patients feel that they are trying something new."

Suleman, who is 33 and single, told NBC's "Today" show she was "fixated" on having children. Suleman said her doctor "did nothing wrong" and had warned her of possible complications to the pregnancy and risks to the development of the babies.

The octuplets were born nine weeks prematurely but appear relatively healthy. Their names have a Biblical theme: Noah, Jonah, Jeremiah, Josiah, Isaiah, Maliyah, Makai and Nariyah. All share the middle name Angel and the last name Solomon.

On Sunday, Suleman's mother, Angela Suleman, seemed to contradict her daughter's account, telling a Web site the fertility specialist who helped her daughter give birth to the octuplets was not the one who aided in the birth of her first six children.

In an interview with celebrity news Web site RadarOnline.com, Angela Suleman said she and Nadya's father pleaded with her first fertility doctor not to treat their daughter again. She said her daughter went to another doctor.

"I'm really angry about that," Angela Suleman said of the doctor's decision to perform the procedure. "She already has six beautiful children. Why would she do this? I'm struggling to look after her six. We had to put in bunk beds, feed them in shifts and there's children's clothing piled all over the house."

Angela Suleman said Nadya's boyfriend was the biological father of all 14 children, but that she refused to marry him.

"He was in love with her and wanted to marry her," she said. "But Nadya wanted to have children on her own."

___

Associated Press Television News videographer John Mone and Associated Press Writer Alicia Chang contributed to this report.

NeverBeenToDenver
02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Only in Californiaaaaaaaaaaaa. 8 months I lived in LA. *shudder* Freaks!

Sassy
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Only in Californiaaaaaaaaaaaa. 8 months I lived in LA. *shudder* Freaks!

I was there two years! More than enough!

Circle Orange
02-10-2009, 07:13 AM

Well, in a lot of cases it's non minority folk who have these big 'uns. when they do it they're 'blessed with a large family.' Whenever it's anyone else you always hear the words 'government' and 'welfare.' The catholic folk who have strong feelings for the right to life march in my neck of the woods a lot. And of course, they have babies on babies and parade them around with signs (on their widdle heads). Bottom line, that woman is a headcase. Anyone who's sole goal in life is to reproduce has NO self esteem or value. And the kids will grow up a mess. What friggin role model is she for her own family?

"Yeah, my mom don't do nothing but get pregnant. She don't work and live at home with my grandparents. But they walked out on her, so now we can't eat or go to school. And ma is crazy, too...she drools a lot between pregnancies."

Sassy
02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
...and she wants to get a master's degree in COUNSELING! Ha!

alkemical
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
...and she wants to get a master's degree in COUNSELING! Ha!

The crazy ones always do.... ;)

broncocalijohn
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Who paid for her botox and cologen? This psycho should have her kids taken away (at least the new ones). According to reports, she didnt pay her Mom money for food as she receives benefits for her first 6. She stated she buys toys with the money. Beatch has been on disability for 10 years yet her back has no problem help support her pouch for constant pregnancies. Social services needs to come in and take the kids, doctor needs to lose his license and the stupid "boyfriend" needs to work 20 hours a day because the father will be needed to verify before she gets any benefits off the government. She thinks she is Angelina Jolie with these kids and her apparant need to look like her too.

vancejohnson82
02-10-2009, 10:24 AM
this makes me sick to my stomach....the fact taht people are out there struggling to make house payments and losing their jobs, and those like me who are continually borrowing money to stay afloat have to idly sit on the sideline and watch this woman collect $165,000 + in government money is absurd....

they say all you have to do in this world is die and pay taxes....unfortunately, one is beginning to make the other an easier way out (not my take on it....but suicide rates and stories these days are becoming more and more frequent)

worm
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
She got her 165K to do this crap....meanwhile the State of California is issuing IOUs for tax rebates this year.

She should be jailed. Doctor should be jailed. Kids should be taken away. Media should ignore her. Society should vocally protest media agencies that give her air time or money for telling 'her story'.

UberBroncoMan
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
She got her 165K to do this crap....meanwhile the State of California is issuing IOUs for tax rebates this year.

She should be jailed. Doctor should be jailed. Kids should be taken away. Media should ignore her. Society should vocally protest media agencies that give her air time or money for telling 'her story'.

But that would mean truly holding people accountable for their actions... and that's just mean and unfair.

/barf

News flash btw... California is going to be the entire United States in 4 years.

Popps
02-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I knew there was something fishy about this story the first time I heard about it. I have no idea how, but my alarms were going off the second I read about this woman.

alkemical
02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Her and her whole family need to be euthanized.

elpasojoe
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Travis Henry's agent stated that Henry was unavailable for comment.

Spider
02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Travis Henry's agent stated that Henry was unavailable for comment.

LOL

Mountain Bronco
02-10-2009, 01:14 PM

Yes, but we absolutely have the right to say, your choice your problem. No welfare, no support, no free ride etc... That is my MAJOR PROBLEM with this.

I didn't make this choice, yet I am forced to support this choice through tax dollars.

broncofan7
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Yes, but we absolutely have the right to say, your choice your problem. No welfare, no support, no free ride etc... That is my MAJOR PROBLEM with this.

I didn't make this choice, yet I am forced to support this choice through tax dollars.

I truly believe that a VERY crafty lawyer needs to argue on behalf of the state of CA the fact that the REPRODUCTIVE Endocrinologist was acting beyond the normal scope of his practice by inserting 6 embryos into an unemployed female who was jobless and had 6 other children, 3 of whom are disabled, and that by taking the place of what in natural occurrence would be the role of paternal partner (or something much more clever than that) that the physician is responsible to Child support for all 8 chi8ldren until they are 18 years of age. This would provide The State relief and also impose a penalty on the physician and would serve as a guideline for other physician's who may choose to stray from what are deemed moral and proper procedures for infertility that they would be careful not to cross.

Miss I.
02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, in a lot of cases it's non minority folk who have these big 'uns. when they do it they're 'blessed with a large family.' Whenever it's anyone else you always hear the words 'government' and 'welfare.' The catholic folk who have strong feelings for the right to life march in my neck of the woods a lot. And of course, they have babies on babies and parade them around with signs (on their widdle heads). Bottom line, that woman is a headcase. Anyone who's sole goal in life is to reproduce has NO self esteem or value. And the kids will grow up a mess. What friggin role model is she for her own family?

"Yeah, my mom don't do nothing but get pregnant. She don't work and live at home with my grandparents. But they walked out on her, so now we can't eat or go to school. And ma is crazy, too...she drools a lot between pregnancies."

Well I think this woman is an idiot and amazingly irresponsible. And the counseling thing is so funny, but no shocking. I have a sister in law who is amazingly obtuse when it comes to dealing with my family, but she is a social worker with a MA in counseling.. it kills me

Oh holy mackeral, that woman is on Entertainment Tonight? Really having 8 babies is entertainment? ????

Sassy
02-10-2009, 07:30 PM
She's on Dateline right now...she's insane!

NFLBRONCO
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Welcome to America they make her famous for doing something stupid.

TheDave
02-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Odds are, this is going to end badly...

Spider
02-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Odds are, this is going to end badly...
i agree hell you already got people here thinking killing her and putting her kids in foster care or an orphanage is a good idea

TheDave
02-10-2009, 08:26 PM
i agree hell you already got people here thinking killing her and putting her kids in foster care or an orphanage is a good idea

Honestly, I'm speachless at this point...

Miss I.
02-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Honestly, I'm speachless at this point...

But The Dave you wrote somethng so would that not indicate having speech? :)

But all smart aleckness aside, I agree, I don't understand why people would want to do those things. While I find this woman's decisions unfathomable and quite honestly pathologically self-centered or plain crazy, that does not justify wishing harm on her. I don't necessarily think she will be a good caregiver though. She seems to like the attention more then anything.

Sassy
02-10-2009, 08:52 PM
But The Dave you wrote somethng so would that not indicate having speech? :)

But all smart aleckness aside, I agree, I don't understand why people would want to do those things. While I find this woman's decisions unfathomable and quite honestly pathologically self-centered or plain crazy, that does not justify wishing harm on her. I don't necessarily think she will be a good caregiver though. She seems to like the attention more then anything.

Did you see Dateline?
She was crying when reunited with her austic son...Said they had a special bond. I feel sorry for those kids and her parents!

Spider
02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
well she screwed up , but now what has to be #1 is those kids ....

Malcontent
02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
This liberal media we have in the USA will make her look like the victim...and someone will hand her a tidy fortune, so they get on 60 minutes. F'n society we have cultivated can't be stopped.

I'm ok though..I invested with Madoff, and he told me that I would make at least 20%.

Miss I.
02-10-2009, 09:06 PM
well she screwed up , but now what has to be #1 is those kids ....

I agree the kids need to be #1, but I am not sure she actually puts them up there. If she did she would have just taken care of the 6 she already had instead of having more. It sounds like she has a serious psychological disorder if the only way she finds value in life is to have babies. She had 6 kids who needed her already. Love them, focus on them. Instead she had to have more? Why? Quality not quantity. 14 kids will be difficult if not impossible for a single mother with very poor if any income to provide for phsyically, mentally or emotionally.

Sassy
02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I love how she considers food stamps not welfare and says she wants to live in a bigger house with the kids by herself...but will depend on help of friends and family.... oh yeah...and she'll pay for their needs with her student loans...

Popps
02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
This is a big story, locally. This woman really worked the system and some serious questions are coming out about not only this case, but government funding in general.

There are a lot of theories floating around, but most of them involve her being insane... and having real mental issues. That, and/or she's a total con-artist.

Again, this just stunk from the get-go. I knew something was weird, here. We haven't heard the end of this story by a longshot.

baja
02-11-2009, 05:33 AM
maybe they will grow up to be a basketball team. they could call themselves the Implants.

alkemical
02-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Welcome to America they make her famous for doing something stupid.

Well, we do celebrate stupid.

Circle Orange
02-11-2009, 07:47 AM

I say we crash her door with tar and feathers. And bring a cup of clap. ;D

rugbythug
02-11-2009, 07:57 AM
This is a big story, locally. This woman really worked the system and some serious questions are coming out about not only this case, but government funding in general.

There are a lot of theories floating around, but most of them involve her being insane... and having real mental issues. That, and/or she's a total con-artist.

Again, this just stunk from the get-go. I knew something was weird, here. We haven't heard the end of this story by a longshot.

I sure hope you are wrong about that.

vancejohnson82
02-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I sure hope you are wrong about that.

honestly, i dont have a problem with the media making a big deal of this now..

at first it was like, "oh my god, how fantastically great this is.."

now its turning into the gruesome, irresponsible truism that it is....

i hate this woman

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/29/earlyshow/health/main4761676.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

CBS) Doctors say the octuplets born Monday outside Los Angeles are doing well.

But when they go home, it will be to a truly full house.

CBS News has learned the mother who gave birth to the octuplets has six other children.

An acquaintance who didn't want to be identified told Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman the mom has four older boys and two girls.

"She is young," the acquaintance says, "fairly young. She has six children already. And in those six children, she has a set of twins."

While the hospital where the octuplets were born, Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center in Bellflower, Calif., some 17 miles southeast of L.A., hasn't confirmed that the mom used fertility drugs, there are no documented cases of naturally conceived octuplets, Kauffman points out.

Doctors say the babies are all breathing on their own. But all weigh less than four pounds and are expected to remain in the hospital for weeks.

The woman and her children live on a cul-de-sac with her parents.

A man who came to the door of the family home confirmed to Kauffman that he's the grandfather of the octuplets, but refused to speak to her.

"From what you know about this family, and this household, do you think they'll be able to support 14 kids?" Kauffman asked the acquaintance.

"Well," she responded, "so far, they've been fine with the six they have. Fourteen I don't know."

Kauffman says the neighborhood has homes with just two or three bedrooms.

It will, Kauffman concluded, "be tight!"

This woman is a real wasted brain. I hope the liberal state of Cali takes away the doctors license to practice and takes the children away from the mom.

Fugg'm both.

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2009, 08:56 AM
This woman is the evil opposite of the pycho biatch in Florida who killed her daughter.