PDA

View Full Version : Cutler on the Dan Patrick Radio Show

montrose
01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Click Listen Live Now

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

Patrick just said "When do I have to shut up for Cutler?" The producer said "He'll be ready in about 4 minutes." Patrick responded, "You have to make the playoffs to make me adjust my schedule."

snowspot66
01-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Classy Dan, classy.

ludo21
01-29-2009, 09:33 AM
offense or defense!

bringing the juice haha

Hotrod
01-29-2009, 09:35 AM
so for us interweb retards what happened?

montrose
Jay talked about being at the Children's Hospital helping kids with diabetes. Cutler said it was tough to play with diabetes at first but once the season started it didn't effect him. He shoots himself 5-6 times a day, including in the bathroom at restaurants which freaks people out.

Cutler talked to Shanahan the day after he was fired. Shanahan called him and wasn't upset, he seemed in shock but was ready to move on. Wished each other the best of luck down the road.

Patrick brings up the scheme was holding Cutler back and Jay agreed. He said he had to earn trust and it was a learning process but he did agree that the playcalling may have held him back.

Cutler said he wouldn't rip Rivers again.

Cutler jokes he sent Ed Hochuli a present with wine, cheese and Christmas tree. Cutler said he felt bad about it and that it wouldn't go away.

Cutler thinks the NFL OT system isn't fair, he likes the college system.

Cutler was joking with Patrick about the interview quality. Patrick joked back, "as bad as the Broncos last three games?" Cutler took a dig and said, "the offense or defense?" But then retracted his statement as Patrick was laughing.

Wants the Cardinals to win but thinks that Steelers defense is tough and they're likely to win.

dbfan21
Dan Patrick just admitted he's an idiot.

Jay said he'd carry the interview for Dan. Jay's at All Children's Hospital in St Pete, FL. Talked about the 'beetus and the shots he takes to manage the disease (5-6x's a day).

Talked to Mike the day after firing. Said Mike called him. MS not mad, but shocked. Wished Jay the best. Jay thanked him for everything. Dan asked if Mike's playcalling held him back. Jay kinda conceded yes in the first couple years, but not in 2008. Dan asked if Jay would rip Rivers...for $1,000. LOL

Asked who was the slowest QB in NFL...and who'd win in a 40 yard dash with Peyton Manning. Said Ed Hocules got a X-mas card from Jay. Ed has big arms...blah, blah, blah.

Talked about the OT rules with each team getting at least one possession. Jay loves college OTs.

Pimped the website: inspiredbydiabetes.com

Wants to pick the Cards, but Steelers D is really good.

dbfan21
01-29-2009, 09:36 AM
LOL...I guess we had the same thing in mind Montrose! Hilarious!

Hotrod
01-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys ^5

Kaylore
01-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Asked who was the slowest QB in NFL...and who'd win in a 40 yard dash with Peyton Manning.
And?

Gcver2ver3
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I was gonna start a thread on it but this one will do...

Cutler took another public jab at the defense...

He tried to take it back afterwards but Dan Patrick says "too late" and Cutler is like "yea I know"...

Then Cutler goes on to say how the offense struggled too...

Now clearly many of you will say that he shouldn't publicly blame the D and personally I agree...

But the guy is human, and when I look back at the season and how frustrated I got...and how I would yell and scream at the TV...I can only imagine how the offense felt when watching one of the poorest defensive efforts in NFL history...

The offense clearly bashed the defense when amongst each other...

Hopefully this doesn't divide the locker room, but I'm thinking no since many of the defensive players will be gone soon anyways...

montrose
01-29-2009, 09:45 AM
LOL...I guess we had the same thing in mind Montrose! Hilarious!

Haha, yeah. Man you can just tell Jay was not happy with that defense. I bet if you got him off the record he'd rip 'em a new one.

theAPAOps5
01-29-2009, 09:45 AM
He can criticize the defense. The coach responsible is gone. Its a maturation thing, no matter what you think you can't always say it publicly.

WolfpackGuy
01-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Way to call a spade a spade, Jay.
He's just saying what everyone else thinks about the putrid defense.

vancejohnson82
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
exactly....i cant imagine how hard it is to know that if you don't score the other team is going to put 7 up on the other end...it really makes your decision abilities that much more frantic

he can say whatever he wants about the defense in my opinion because they have no excuse or any reason to refute any negativity thrust towards them...go ahead, i dare one of them to stick up for their performance

SoDak Bronco
01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
And?

He said if they were running 100 yards he would win by 10 yards..

Hercules Rockefeller
01-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh noes!!! He called out the defense?!?!?!

WTF are they going to say? They aren't the worst defense in the league?

dbfan21
01-29-2009, 11:06 AM
And?

He never said who won. If I had to wager, I'd say Jay won in a landslide, but he didn't want to diss Peyt.

Kaylore
01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
He can criticize the defense. The coach responsible is gone.
Oh it's like soothing balm to hear those words. I cannot even tell you how nice it will be to know Slowik isn't the coordinator anymore.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM

He tried to take it back afterwards but Dan Patrick says "too late" and Cutler is like "yea I know"...

Now clearly many of you will say that he shouldn't publicly blame the D and personally I agree...

But the guy is human, and when I look back at the season and how frustrated I got...and how I would yell and scream at the TV...I can only imagine how the offense felt when watching one of the poorest defensive efforts in NFL history...

Hopefully this doesn't divide the locker room, but I'm thinking no since many of the defensive players will be gone soon anyways...

Why not. it isn't a secret. we had the worst defense in the league this year and one of the worst in history. If Jay overlooked that, i tend to think i would be slightly pissed off. I don't want my teams leader sugarcoating things, i want him blunt and saying what the truth is.

Gcver2ver3
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Why not. it isn't a secret. we had the worst defense in the league this year and one of the worst in history. If Jay overlooked that, i tend to think i would be slightly pissed off. I don't want my teams leader sugarcoating things, i want him blunt and saying what the truth is.

well as my post states i clearly empathize with Cutler...

i can understand his frustration...and i like him being a vocal leader of the team...guy is a straight shooter for sure...

but there can be risks in publicly dogging teammates so there does have to be some careful judgement there...

with that said, i still can understand his frustration...we didn't just have a bad defense...we had a historically bad defense...

montrose
01-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I was most taken by his comments regarding the playcalling. This is pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be shocked at all that in an attempt to "sell" Cutler, McDaniels pitched to him that this system will allow him to fully use his talents.

El Guapo
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Elway wasn't able to flourish under Reeves, maybe the same is true for Cutler under Shanny? eh, let's all just hope for the best.

Broncoman13
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
I was most taken by his comments regarding the playcalling. This is pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be shocked at all that in an attempt to "sell" Cutler, McDaniels pitched to him that this system will allow him to fully use his talents.

So what are you thinking here... changing plays at the line or something bigger?

montrose
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
So what are you thinking here... changing plays at the line or something bigger?

Yeah I think that's part of it. More audibles, shotgun, etc.

NeverBeenToDenver
01-29-2009, 01:34 PM

I think slinging the ball more downfield. He never got into a rhythm beyond that 15-20 intermediate range. Also, there seemed to be so many ill-timed, ill-advised playcalls at the wrong time, overall stats aside.

BroncoInferno
01-29-2009, 01:42 PM
How did the playcalling hold him back when threw the ball over 600 times? They certainly weren't coddling him.

Bronx33
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Dan Patrick just admitted he's an idiot.

Jay said he'd carry the interview for Dan. Jay's at All Children's Hospital in St Pete, FL. Talked about the 'beetus and the shots he takes to manage the disease (5-6x's a day).

Talked to Mike the day after firing. Said Mike called him. MS not mad, but shocked. Wished Jay the best. Jay thanked him for everything. Dan asked if Mike's playcalling held him back. Jay kinda conceded yes in the first couple years, but not in 2008. Dan asked if Jay would rip Rivers...for $1,000. LOL

Asked who was the slowest QB in NFL...and who'd win in a 40 yard dash with Peyton Manning. Said Ed Hocules got a X-mas card from Jay. Ed has big arms...blah, blah, blah.

Talked about the OT rules with each team getting at least one possession. Jay loves college OTs.

Pimped the website: inspiredbydiabetes.com

Wants to pick the Cards, but Steelers D is really good.

Nothing new there..

Gcver2ver3
01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
How did the playcalling hold him back when threw the ball over 600 times? They certainly weren't coddling him.

well he was only referring to earlier in his career and wasn't really talking about the number of plays to him but the type of plays...

he's just saying that the playbook wasn't completely open to him his first couple seasons...

and he's pretty much right about that...

BroncoInferno
01-29-2009, 01:53 PM
well he was only referring to earlier in his career and wasn't really talking about the number of plays to him but the type of plays...

he's just saying that the playbook wasn't completely open to him his first couple seasons...

and he's pretty much right about that...

Well, maybe if he is talking about his first two seasons. You could make the argument that the playcalling held the TEAM back this season given the lack of balance (only 39% run plays), but given the MASH unit that was our backfield, it's hard to blame Bates.

Florida_Bronco
01-29-2009, 01:55 PM

I can't believe he was in town and we didn't know about it. I would have gone down there to see him.

Kaylore
01-29-2009, 02:16 PM

There is no question it was frustrating. There was nothing they could do. They were horrible. From the overall philosophy down to each player it was bad and it just got worse. Our corners used to be good and they sucked. Everything about that defense demoralized the players and the team.

And I agree it won't divide the locker room because the locker room was already divided. They didn't want to play for someone who was going to leave them hanging out to dry on game day. No one had any faith in that team.

The good news is we'll be better this year. Probably not much better, but we'll actually get some turnovers, get some defensive stops and show up while we breed the new guys. They're going to can all the morons on the team and that horrible off-coverage will be gone. It will take time but we'll get better and better as the season goes on.

400HZ
01-29-2009, 02:28 PM

If it's obvious, then why say it? Good leaders don't shift blame, especially when they don't perform that well themselves.

snowspot66
01-29-2009, 02:47 PM
If it's obvious, then why say it? Good leaders don't shift blame, especially when they don't perform that well themselves.

Really? Good leaders don't do that? Or idealized leaders don't do that?

And last I checked Cutler had a pretty good year even with the **** sandwich of a defense he had. Not many QB's put up the stats he had with one of the worst defenses in the last quarter century.

boltaneer
01-29-2009, 03:07 PM
It's not a good idea for any player, especially the quarterback, who is supposed to be the leader of the team, to publicly throw any of his teammates under the bus. Except to massage your own ego (I played good, they didn't), there is nothing to be gained by saying this.

Br0nc0Buster
01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
It's not a good idea for any player, especially the quarterback, who is supposed to be the leader of the team, to publicly throw any of his teammates under the bus. Except to massage your own ego (I played good, they didn't), there is nothing to be gained by saying this.

You guys are right.
Great leaders put their helmet on and sit on the bench during playoff games.

Cutler isnt half the leader Tomlinson is.....

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 03:23 PM
well as my post states i clearly empathize with Cutler...

i can understand his frustration...and i like him being a vocal leader of the team...guy is a straight shooter for sure...

but there can be risks in publicly dogging teammates so there does have to be some careful judgement there...

with that said, i still can understand his frustration...we didn't just have a bad defense...we had a historically bad defense...

i'd have a problem if he was saying crap and pointing out specific players, that i agree with, you don't throw a teammate under the bus. But when he is talking about the unit as a whole, that falls more on coaching in my mind.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Jay is going to end next season with over 35 D's, about 15INT's, and around 4500 yards passing. Next season he is really going to explode.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM

yes our PRO BOWL QB didn't perform well, without him this season we would have been lucky to finish 4-12. wow you're an idiot.

and if he is asked about it, he should answer honestly. he can't say some crap about how the defense was good, but couldn't stop anyone. he didn't put blame on certain players, he said the entire unit, he also included the offense, because he knows as does everyone else that the offense could have been better. he is honest.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 03:31 PM

he didn't throw any teammates under the bus. he was simply honest that the defensive unit played like ****. Champ earlier in the season said the same thing. He said the offense could have performed better too, meaning he thinks he could as well.

Smiling Assassin27
01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
It's simple:

Nothing good can come of ripping your own publicly. I've yet to see anyone post a single thing positive that can come from jay ripping his defense to 5 million listeners nationwide. Will it make the defense better? No. Will it change any of the results from last year? Nope. Will it embarrass someone so badly that he'll take his inept arse and retire? No. Does it have the potential to bring a team together in any real way? Nope.

The only thing it has the potential to do is alienate indviduals and force people to choose sides.

Los Broncos
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
The one day I don't listen to Dan in the morning Cutler is on.

400HZ
01-29-2009, 04:23 PM
It's simple:

Nothing good can come of ripping your own publicly. I've yet to see anyone post a single thing positive that can come from jay ripping his defense to 5 million listeners nationwide. Will it make the defense better? No. Will it change any of the results from last year? Nope. Will it embarrass someone so badly that he'll take his inept arse and retire? No. Does it have the potential to bring a team together in any real way? Nope.

The only thing it has the potential to do is alienate indviduals and force people to choose sides.

That's about it. It doesn't serve any purpose other than what Boltaneer said. Ego-stroking.

SureShot
01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
You guys are right.
Great leaders put their helmet on and sit on the bench during playoff games.

Cutler isnt half the leader Tomlinson is.....

Bamm!

snowspot66
01-29-2009, 05:13 PM
It's simple:

It's his team. If they aren't on his side they shouldn't be on the team because if they aren't on his side they are on the defenses side and I don't want anybody that stupid on my favorite team.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
It's simple:

who exactly going to alienate? all it did was point out Slowik's ****ty defense, and players who would be upset about Cutler saying anything aren't going to be here next season. On our defense DJ, Woodyard, Larsen, Barrett, Champ, Thomas, Moss, Doom, are quite possibly the only players who will return that did anything. And for the most part almost all of them are guys who know the defense sucked, and want to get better.

Champ at the middle of the season talked to the media about the defensive play and no one said anything bad about it. He is the defensive leader and Jay is the team leader why is it different.

Drek
01-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm fine with Cutler's comments, but it gives a pretty clear picture of where this team is.

Harbaugh did an interview on Sirius on NFL a few weeks back and said one of the major things he first looked to change when going to Baltimore was to break the second class citizen mindset the offense had taken to the defense. I think we have just the reverse here. I can't see any way our O wasn't killing our D play after play in practice and the D clearly never got around to growing a spine even then. The offensive players should feel free to call them out, make it clear that they need to step it up and fire Nolan up to change the attitude of the team.

Arkansas Bronco
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
On another note Rivers was on the local show ( http://web.splashcast.net/fs/?embed_url=/so/2/c/GODH3111UG/s/IUMS3912KF/sc/1587620/fs/ about 20:20 in) with his response to the Cutler question. Nothing special just he says he respects Jay and this all the talk is nothing it was just game day bantering.

Jesterhole
01-29-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't mind him calling out the D, but I don't want him doing it on Radio Shows and stuff like that. Dude needs to be a leader, and leaders don't pull that crap.

Inkana7
01-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Jesus Christ.

Gcver2ver3
01-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I can't believe he was in town and we didn't know about it. I would have gone down there to see him.

i was thinking the same thing earlier...

you and i coulda loaded up in my monetro and blew up the spot!...

Gcver2ver3
01-29-2009, 08:53 PM
There is no question it was frustrating. There was nothing they could do. They were horrible. From the overall philosophy down to each player it was bad and it just got worse. Our corners used to be good and they sucked. Everything about that defense demoralized the players and the team.

And I agree it won't divide the locker room because the locker room was already divided. They didn't want to play for someone who was going to leave them hanging out to dry on game day. No one had any faith in that team.

The good news is we'll be better this year. Probably not much better, but we'll actually get some turnovers, get some defensive stops and show up while we breed the new guys. They're going to can all the morons on the team and that horrible off-coverage will be gone. It will take time but we'll get better and better as the season goes on.

agreed...

JJJ
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Calling out the D in the offseason is fully legitimate. Throws down a challenge. He called out Marshall last year and it seemed to work fine. I think everyone expects your leader to objectively analyze your strengths and weaknesses in the offseason and throw in a few rips if necessary.

Shouldn't be done in public during the season of course.

boltaneer
01-29-2009, 10:37 PM
On another note Rivers was on the local show ( http://web.splashcast.net/fs/?embed_url=/so/2/c/GODH3111UG/s/IUMS3912KF/sc/1587620/fs/ about 20:20 in) with his response to the Cutler question. Nothing special just he says he respects Jay and this all the talk is nothing it was just game day bantering.

Rivers has said on numerous occasions now that he respects Cutler as a QB. Cutler is the one who seems unable to let it go.

The media needs to drop it as well but they wont, as they think this sort of thing brings them ratings.

La Caspa Del Diablo
01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Our ****ing quarterback is a whiskey guzzlin, good ole boy from Nashville.

Your quarterback is some dumb redneck from Carolina. A lame ass **** who hasn't gotten head from any other bitch other than his wife.

JJJ
01-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Our ****ing quarterback is a whiskey guzzlin, good ole boy from Nashville.

Your quarterback is some dumb redneck from Carolina. A lame ass **** who hasn't gotten head from any other b**** other than his wife.

I would be drinking too if I got bitch slapped by a dumb redneck that many times in the last 3 years. Keep them coming barkeep, one shot with the right hand, one shot into the left.

La Caspa Del Diablo
01-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I would be drinking too if I got b**** slapped by a dumb redneck that many times in the last 3 years. Keep them coming barkeep, one shot with the right hand, one shot into the left.

Denver's defense got bitch slapped. Cutler did his job.

400HZ
01-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Denver's defense got b**** slapped. Cutler did his job.

Right. His offense scored the 16th most points in the NFL last season. That justifies shifting the blame off himself and onto his teammates. http://www.leisurelasvegas.net/forum/images/smilies/emot-jerkbag.gif

Circle Orange
01-30-2009, 10:06 AM

Honesty is fine, but Jay's still walking a fine line with his mouth. Sooner or later he'll hit a bad stretch. What if the offense struggles next year under a new HC? Is he prepared for public jabs from teammates, or will they have a little more control? For a guy who still hasn't done anything, this lippiness is getting tiresome. I'm wondering if these interviews are set up hoping that he implodes or says something to flame controversy. Just be careful, Jay. There's fire and then there's heat. So far you've brought a lot of the first, but not much of the second when it matters.

Inkana7
01-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Right. His offense scored the 16th most points in the NFL last season. That justifies shifting the blame off himself and onto his teammates. http://www.leisurelasvegas.net/forum/images/smilies/emot-jerkbag.gif

How dare he! Those nice boys on Defense tried as hard as they could!