PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Davis: Broncos need identity

HEAV
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Perhaps the biggest issue Broncos great Terrell Davis sees his former organization facing these days is rediscovering just what it wants to be on the field.

"To me, it's just the inconsistent play on the field," the former running back said Tuesday between Super Bowl Media Day sessions, a full 10 years since he was preparing for the second of Denver's back-to-back championships.

"They really don't have an identity," he added. "Who is this team? What are they trying to do? When I played, you know what we were trying to do."

Rediscovering a go-to philosophy, though, will be the responsibility of new coach Josh McDaniels. The prospect of moving on without Mike Shanahan at the helm remains "weird" and "surprising" to Davis, the NFL's 1998 Most Valuable Player.

And he isn't yet willing to concede the new boss is the same as the old boss.

"I'm more of a wait-and-see guy. I don't know," Davis said. "I know Josh has done great in New England. But you also see assistants leave New England, as in Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini. You see these two guys go and you expect them to be great because they come from a pretty good program. But that hasn't been the result. I'm waiting to see if (McDaniels) can do it. The fact that he's a young guy, there's going to be some challenges there."

Davis' teams had few problems when he joined the Broncos. By his second season, the team was the No. 1 seed in the 1996 playoffs but was upset by Jacksonville at home. The wins in Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII followed.

But in the past decade, Denver has won only one postseason game, contributing heavily to Shanahan's firing after 14 seasons.

After the firing, Davis went on the set of NFL Network's Total Access program, for which he serves as analyst, and chided the Broncos for unceremoniously dumping his former coach.

In hindsight, Davis has reconsidered his position some.

"Maybe I'm a little nostalgic, so I think about the great years we had with him and how great a coach he was," Davis said. "And I think more so about those times and those days that I tend not to think of recent memory. So I'm a little biased when it comes to Mike because I'm thinking, 'What he had worked. His formula was good.' But maybe in today's game, with the guys that he has, maybe the message was just not the same.

"A nice suit 10 years ago may not be a nice suit today."

Davis is impressed with the Broncos' current offensive core and sees the retention of assistant coaches Bobby Turner and Rick Dennison as a sign the team will retain the tried-and-true Denver running game.

Davis would like to see one back emerge as the workhorse in that system.

"They need one guy . . . ," he said. "The one guy I've heard - and I've talked to a number of guys on that team - is Ryan Torain. They say he's the guy. But I've only got three looks at him. So it's hard to make a (judgment)."

But true work - and identity - is needed on defense, where the team is expected to switch to a hybrid 3-4 scheme.

"They've gone through so many defensive coordinators, it's ridiculous," Davis said.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/28/terrell-davis-broncos-needs-identity/?partner=RSS

Like many Shanny fans TD let his emotions take over at first, but now he sees it diferently.

Not sure about Torain the ACL tear will take time. I vote Hillis right now, but I still want to see a free agent back brought in to challenge & or give a second threat.

Houshyamama
01-28-2009, 11:22 AM
"They need one guy . . . ," he said. "The one guy I've heard - and I've talked to a number of guys on that team - is Ryan Torain. They say he's the guy. But I've only got three looks at him. So it's hard to make a (judgment)."

socalorado
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM

I dont get it. Davis who's judgement, NO ONE would question here, says that DEN STILL needs "A guy". I thought they had this guy. Hillis.
Apparently Davis DOES NOT think so. Interesting.

TheReverend
01-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Maybe turns into another Ryan Harris-esque surprise?

Florida_Bronco
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM
It's no secret that Shanny and Co were extremely high on Ryan Torain when they drafted him. I imagine that he will be the starter with Hillis at FB and either Selvin Young, Andre Hall or Anthony Alridge coming in as the 3rd down speed back.

Archer81
01-28-2009, 11:40 AM

I dont get it. Davis who's judgement, NO ONE would question here, says that DEN STILL needs "A guy". I thought they had this guy. Hillis.
Apparently Davis DOES NOT think so. Interesting.

So we are running the team by what former players think? We'll see what happens but I doubt Torrain is the guy...unless Davis is allowing some prejudice against white RB's play through his commentary...

:Broncos:

oubronco
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
It's no secret that Shanny and Co were extremely high on Ryan Torain when they drafted him. I imagine that he will be the starter with Hillis at FB and either Selvin Young, Andre Hall or Anthony Alridge coming in as the 3rd down speed back.

we'll have to see what McDaniel and crew think of him

montrose
01-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Maybe turns into another Ryan Harris-esque surprise?

God how great would that be.

Keep in mind there's a new sheriff in town. New England used a RB-by-committee and I wouldn't be surprised to see the same here. Everything we've been told leads us to believe that Torain is really talented (and he looked the part in camp) if he can just stay healthy. Hillis was very productive at HB and FB and brings a very unique skill set to the field. However, New England rarely used their FB (Heath Evans) for anything other than blocking. You'd think McDaniels will want to take advantage of his multi-talented abilities. Alridge brings an ability of speed and explosion none of the other backs have. Cecil Lammey recently called him "a more explosive Darren Sproles without the lower body strength." My guess is that Hillis, Alridge and Torain will be the top 3 guys. I'm not sure where Young and Hall would fit into the occasion. Young has shown to be a pretty decent pass-protecting RB which is pretty important. Hall is a RFA I believe and I wouldn't be shocked if he's not tendered.

Rohirrim
01-28-2009, 11:55 AM
So we are running the team by what former players think? We'll see what happens but I doubt Torrain is the guy...unless Davis is allowing some prejudice against white RB's play through his commentary...

Look! It's somebody with their head up their ass. And here I thought that was medically impossible. :wave:

socalorado
01-28-2009, 11:56 AM

I am just trying to understand what our Future HOF RB is saying. Em kaY!?!?
NOT ONLY does Davis apparently NOT think that Hillis is the guy, but according to his comment, he refers to a number of players who are of the opinion that Hillis IS NOT the guy, and Torain is. Huh. Thats interesting to me, considering that many fans think Hillis is indeed the guy.
That is just interesting to me, thats all.

Chris
01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Bring in Derrick Ward please.

Archer81
01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I am just trying to understand what our Future HOF RB is saying. Em kaY!?!?
NOT ONLY does Davis apparently NOT think that Hillis is the guy, but according to his comment, he refers to a number of players who are of the opinion that Hillis IS NOT the guy, and Torain is. Huh. Thats interesting to me, considering that many fans think Hillis is indeed the guy.
That is just interesting to me, thats all.

Comprehension is not your strong suite, huh? Poor lil fellah.

OBF1
01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Who am I to argue with Terrell ? The guy was one of the best ever at his position.

socalorado
01-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Comprehension is not your strong suite, huh? Poor lil fellah.

And bringing anything of substance to the discussion is not your strong suit either.

Of course being that your nose is that far up Peytons Hillis' @$$, you may want to pull it out before you post again.

Gcver2ver3
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
am i the only one that only sees ryan torain as camp fodder?...

Natedog24
01-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Torain will definitely get another shot this year. Its just very doubtful he will stay healthy at this point but I will be very curious to see how he does. If he can get healthy and say healthy he could be pretty useful in a running back by committee offense.

HooptyHoops
01-28-2009, 01:26 PM
I thought Torrain looked really good in Cleveland...really good. I don't know the extent of his knee injury, but that kid can run. And, I'm very high on Hillis too. Please don't draft a RB on the 1st day!

2KBack
01-28-2009, 01:29 PM
TD was a workhorse, and Denver did great with him there, so of course people (and TD) feel they need a workhorser back. The reality is teams are going away from having a one runner approach. It keeps guys fresh, healthy, and allows for even more versatility in game planning. RBBC is the wave of the future. Maybe the average career of a RB will increase a bit now.

watermock
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Don't expect the same back 2 years out of football and a ACL.

Hillis will FB/TB. We will bring in a ringer 2-3rd round, and another vet.

We have alot of crap at RB.