PDA

View Full Version : WR Harrison getting off easy?

Merlin
01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia man shot with a gun owned by Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison is headed to trial Wednesday, accused of lying to police.

Dwight Dixon is scheduled to appear in a Philadelphia municipal court on a charge of making false sworn statements.

Dixon initially told police he was shot during a robbery but later accused Harrison of shooting him. Dixon's attorney, Robert Gamburg, said Dixon did not immediately identify Harrison because he was afraid of him.

Gamburg added Dixon was denied access to his attorney after being shot and spoke under duress.

The Philadelphia district attorney's office declined to comment Tuesday.

"I'm shocked that the DA is going forward with it," Gamburg said. "I guess if you fear for yourself and the safety of your family and you are denied access to your attorney, that case can go forward. But if you have a gun on the street and shots are fired out of it, if you are of a higher socioeconomic status, that's OK. That's the message I take out of it."

The shooting last April happened near a North Philadelphia car wash owned by the All-Pro receiver that is about a half-mile from Playmakers, a bar he also owns.

Dixon said he sustained "serious and permanent injuries" to his arm and body and a "severe shock" to his nervous system and filed suit last September against Harrison.

Three weeks ago, Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham announced that five of the six bullet casings found at the shooting scene came from Harrison's weapon, but investigators have conflicting witness accounts of who fired it.

The investigation remains open.

"It's not enough to say that a gun fired a bullet. I'm not prepared to say who fired the gun," Abraham said then.

According to an arrest report dated April 30, 2008, Dixon was interviewed by police officers at a hospital after being shot and identified himself as Malik Tucker. Dixon told police he had been robbed by two men and was shot during a struggle for a gun, the report said. Dixon later told other officers his real name and signed conflicting statements about where and how he was shot.

Dixon also called attorney Joseph Santaguida, who drove to the hospital to see him, Gamburg said.

"When he goes in to see Dwight, the police denied him entry and removed him from the hospital," Gamburg said.

Harrison was questioned by police soon after the shooting. Harrison said he was at his car wash at the time of the shooting; that he knew Dixon; and that the two had been in a fistfight two weeks earlier after Dixon tried to enter his bar with a gun, Abraham said.

Harrison said his gun had been at his suburban home on the day of the shooting and that it had not been fired since it was bought a year or two earlier, Abraham said.

Police found the weapon, a Belgian-made handgun, at Harrison's car wash a day after the shooting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3864651

This is a very weird case. It would certainly be nice to have better details, but it is surprising how little attention Harrison has gotten in this incident.

TheReverend
01-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Well they already waited until the Colts exited the playoffs to do anything, so they might as well continue letting him off easy.

Merlin
01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Well they already waited until the Colts exited the playoffs to do anything, so they might as well continue letting him off easy.
That was my initial reaction, but then I thought that was my Denver bias coming into play.

TheReverend
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
That was my initial reaction, but then I thought that was my Denver bias coming into play.

Incident happened in the off-season, very coincidental that any due process might get finished immediately after the Colts lose in the playoffs.