PDA

View Full Version : Suggs wants to give Balt a discount

SoDak Bronco
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Sounds like T Sizzle is going to give Baltimore an in house discount to get him resigned. He also wants Ray Lewis and Bart Scott to re-sign and so they can stick together. He can't imagine not having them by his side (what DJ and Boss don't do it for you).

Well we can all kiss that FA dream goodbye, doesn't sound like he has any intentions of leaving the Ravens.

watermock
01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I allready explained why Suggs and Haynswoth won't be Broncos.

Peppers will be a bronco. Bailey will be cut or traded.

24champ
01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Bailey will be cut or traded.

If he does, I will start a "McDaniels, you gutless drunk!" thread.

DBroncos4life
01-26-2009, 10:33 PM
I allready explained why Suggs and Haynswoth won't be Broncos.

Peppers will be a bronco. Bailey will be cut or traded.

Why cut or trade your best player when he is under contract and we are 30 mill under the cap.

watermock
01-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Why cut or trade your best player when he is under contract and we are 30 mill under the cap.

Cap is a seperate issue.

Bailey isn't our best player on IR. Who knows how he comes back.

He's 31 and into a backloaded contract while injured.

I say, rework it into the uncappped year w/ a paycut, otherwise,,he's wasted with our front 7.

watermock
01-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Personally, I never liked the Portis trade.

chrisp
01-27-2009, 02:46 AM

Trading Bailey might be our only way of getting Peppers. If he doesn't come in a trade then carolina will probably franchise him meaning we have to burn TWO FIRSTS to get him.

Maybe you do that if you're a player or two away from the superbowl, but when you're rebuilding an entire defense you need those draft picks.

Fair enough, bailey was injured this year, but we saw the previous year how having an all-pro doesn't help you much when you're front seven stinks as much as ours does. I'd love to keep Bailey but I feel that with the defense being where it is we need impact players in the front seven more than we need them in the secondary, and we need a pass rush.

Not saying I'm entirely supportive of such a move, just that its the only way i see Peppers coming to Denver so it could well happen.

watermock
01-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Champ can go get a ring. It won't be here for at least 3 years.

Do you pay a FS 12 million? There are quite a few safties that will go 2-3 rd round.

IF THE GOODMANS CAN DRAFT DEFENSE.

wE CAN BRING IN pEPPERS, AND EITHER rAY RAY OR rAJI.

pEPPPERS AND Maluga along with a savy safety will do wonders.

i'm tired

cutthemdown
01-27-2009, 03:36 AM
He should give them a discount. First yr QB did very well. Defense is stout. They were the team that drafted him. They could be a couple good offensive weapons away from a Superbowl.

Why leave a team that has all those things going for them.

WolfpackGuy
01-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Suggs is crazy.
Life in the NFL is too short to offer up a discount.

Broncojef
01-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Suggs is crazy.
Life in the NFL is too short to offer up a discount.

He's still going to be overcompensated IMO, giving a good will so called discount keeps him on a contender in a place he loves and endears him to the fans there as well. All things considered he'll still be a millionaire many times over so I can't feel too badly for the guy.

Beantown Bronco
01-27-2009, 06:27 AM

The cap isn't so much an issue for teams any more. It's even more fictional than it used to be. Teams just don't spend up to it anymore.

What IS an issue is the amount of money Bowlen has personally to put out for all the signing bonuses. He simply doesn't have the money to throw around like the Joneses and Snyders.

Beantown Bronco
01-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Trading Bailey might be our only way of getting Peppers. If he doesn't come in a trade then carolina will probably franchise him meaning we have to burn TWO FIRSTS to get him.

Only if he signs the offer. If he doesn't sign it, then the team can negotiate whatever compensation they feel is realistic, which would be less than two firsts.

TonyR
01-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Don't buy too much into the "hometown discount" stuff. They might give the Ravens a small discount but if all 3 command too much money in the market then they can't afford to keep all of them.

On the larger issue of Denver adding big $ players in FA, here's Adam Schefter's take in a chat yesterday:

Josh, Pennsylvania 01:23 PM ET
What are the chances Carolina lets Julius Peppers go; Ravens and Terrell Suggs? I'm a Denver Fan and I'm hoping one hit FA

Adam Schefter, NFL Network
Hope this isn't Josh McDaniels from Denver writing in, is it? Josh, Denver is going to have to generate a pass rush, but both those players are going to ridiculously expensive, and the Broncos defensive problems are not the type that one player can fix. Denver needs to devote the next couple of drafts to the best defensive players it can find. It has tried to sign high-priced defensive free agents -- Daryl Gardner, Kavika Pittman, Dwayne Robertson and generally it has not worked. Denver needs to go back to doing it the old fashioned way -- drafting defensive studs.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/104

Garcia Bronco
01-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Isaid it some time back, he's not leaving baltimore.

Kaylore
01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Don't buy too much into the "hometown discount" stuff. They might give the Ravens a small discount but if all 3 command too much money in the market then they can't afford to keep all of them.

On the larger issue of Denver adding big $ players in FA, here's Adam Schefter's take in a chat yesterday:

Josh, Pennsylvania 01:23 PM ET
What are the chances Carolina lets Julius Peppers go; Ravens and Terrell Suggs? I'm a Denver Fan and I'm hoping one hit FA

Adam Schefter, NFL Network
Hope this isn't Josh McDaniels from Denver writing in, is it? Josh, Denver is going to have to generate a pass rush, but both those players are going to ridiculously expensive, and the Broncos defensive problems are not the type that one player can fix. Denver needs to devote the next couple of drafts to the best defensive players it can find. It has tried to sign high-priced defensive free agents -- Daryl Gardner, Kavika Pittman, Dwayne Robertson and generally it has not worked. Denver needs to go back to doing it the old fashioned way -- drafting defensive studs.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/104
I agree with his overall point. There is no magic band aid. We need draft and do it the less expensive way. That said, the changes in the staff might allow for better FA signings.

no-pseudo-fan
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Loyality is used when the team wants to keep a player on the cheap, "it's just business" is used when the player isn't as good as he once was.

Killericon
01-27-2009, 08:10 AM
I agree with his overall point. There is no magic band aid. We need draft and do it the less expensive way. That said, the changes in the staff might allow for better FA signings.

I hate Shefter's answer there. As if signing Suggs and picking good defensive players in the draft are mutually exclusive. As if our signing the players he listed somehow caused us to suck at drafting defensive talent.

no-pseudo-fan
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I am telling you want. If we can draft a star at 12 and a solid to above average starter in the 2nd, and add at least one above average starter thru FA, the defense will be much improved. Especially with better coaching.

TheReverend
01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I am telling you want. If we can draft a star at 12 and a solid to above average starter in the 2nd, and add at least one above average starter thru FA, the defense will be much improved. Especially with better coaching.

You're really goin out on a limb on that one, aren't ya?

no-pseudo-fan
01-27-2009, 09:15 AM
You're really goin out on a limb on that one, aren't ya?

I prefer not to. I could say that all we need is Suggs or Haynesworth and we with be great next year. I just don't think that we go that direction.

TheReverend
01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I prefer not to. I could say that all we need is Suggs or Haynesworth and we with be great next year. I just don't think that we go that direction.

I'll follow your lead.

If we sign 3 perennial all-pros in FA, don't trade champ, and draft 4 impact studs this season, and we have some incredible coaching......... we could be pretty good on defense.

Kaylore
01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I'll follow your lead.

If we sign 3 perennial all-pros in FA, don't trade champ, and draft 4 impact studs this season, and we have some incredible coaching......... we could be pretty good on defense.

:~ohyah!: It's suddenly all so easy!

jmz313
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Suggs and Haynesworth could both come here and the D still suck. Talent don't mean much if it's not properly utilized. It's up to the staff to improve the D play. Not a player or 2.

TheReverend
01-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Suggs and Haynesworth could both come here and the D still suck. Talent don't mean much if it's not properly utilized. It's up to the staff to improve the D play. Not a player or 2.

The operative word being "could"

Man-Goblin
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I'll follow your lead.

That's way quicker than my "steal the DNA of the greatest defensive players in the world, clone them, raise them (in an underground lab so they won't be drafted) to be unemotional football machines, sign them as undrafted free agents, and have the greatest defense ever in 2030" plan.

no-pseudo-fan
01-27-2009, 11:36 AM
I'll follow your lead.

Cute.

What I am saying that I would prefer to draft our guys and coach them up, then to go on a spending spree. So I am not sure where you are coming from with this.

The fact of the matter is I am just pointing out what we did last year for the offense. We Drafted a Stud at 12 (Clady) then an above average starter in the 2nd(Royal) and then one above average starter thru FA (Wiegman, I think a Pro Bowler is above Average). We had some great coaching on that side of the ball too.

Everyone wants to throw money at the problem, but that is not the answer. So if you thought I was talking about trading Champ for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and then trading the 2nd and a 3rd for an additional 1st then trading next year 1st for an additional 1st. Then draft Curry, Jenkins, Rey Rey, and Raji in the first round to add to our FA signings of Haynesworth, Peppers, and Asamouga.

Maybe you are mistaken. Then again, I might be asking too much of the team, to draft future stars in the 1st and 2nd, and sign players in FA that help the team, that's just too far fetched.

TheReverend
01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Cute.

What I am saying that I would prefer to draft our guys and coach them up, then to go on a spending spree. So I am not sure where you are coming from with this.

The fact of the matter is I am just pointing out what we did last year for the offense. We Drafted a Stud at 12 (Clady) then an above average starter in the 2nd(Royal) and then one above average starter thru FA (Wiegman, I think a Pro Bowler is above Average). We had some great coaching on that side of the ball too.

Everyone wants to throw money at the problem, but that is not the answer. So if you thought I was talking about trading Champ for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and then trading the 2nd and a 3rd for an additional 1st then trading next year 1st for an additional 1st. Then draft Curry, Jenkins, Rey Rey, and Raji in the first round to add to our FA signings of Haynesworth, Peppers, and Asamouga.

Maybe you are mistaken. Then again, I might be asking too much of the team, to draft future stars in the 1st and 2nd, and sign players in FA that help the team, that's just too far fetched.

The Goodman's approached the defense last year with the same idea and signed low price value guys with good NFL experience in Manuel, McCree, and Koutivides.

That turned out great.

I'm not disagreeing with you, by the way, but if we have a shot at a great player who can drastically improve our defensive unit for whatever scheme we're moving to, the chance NEEDS to be taken.

AND you missed the joke, btw.

Gcver2ver3
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
The Goodman's approached the defense last year with the same idea and signed low price value guys with good NFL experience in Manuel, McCree, and Koutivides.

That turned out great.

I'm not disagreeing with you, by the way, but if we have a shot at a great player who can drastically improve our defensive unit for whatever scheme we're moving to, the chance NEEDS to be taken.

i agree...

every now and again you may get lucky but all in all, you get what you pay for...

let's not be cheap...let's look into adding an impact player(s)...

that along with strong drafting will be the formula for success...

no-pseudo-fan
01-27-2009, 12:09 PM

That turned out great.

AND you missed the joke, btw.

Actually I didn't. I love Satire, but to truly pull it off you need to be a little less obvious.:rofl:

Kaylore
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
but to truly pull it off you need to be a little less obvious.:rofl:
Irony is good too.

no-pseudo-fan
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
ignorance and indifference are also popular

no-pseudo-fan
01-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Irony is good too.

Irony is tough to pull off though.

DBroncos4life
01-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Maybe you do that if you're a player or two away from the superbowl, but when you're rebuilding an entire defense you need those draft picks.

Fair enough, bailey was injured this year, but we saw the previous year how having an all-pro doesn't help you much when you're front seven stinks as much as ours does. I'd love to keep Bailey but I feel that with the defense being where it is we need impact players in the front seven more than we need them in the secondary, and we need a pass rush.

Not saying I'm entirely supportive of such a move, just that its the only way i see Peppers coming to Denver so it could well happen.

We are not as far off as you guys think. The O is set other then a RB. You can't sit here and tell me how far we are BEFORE the draft and BEFORE FA period. If we don't add anyone to the D then yeah we are F'd but personally I believe just having people that know how to COACH on D is enough to improve the D. Regardless you want to make us weak at one position just to make us stronger at another postion. I think there are other ways without trading Champ.