PDA

View Full Version : HS School Coach Stands Trial for Heat Death

Rohirrim
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Given that this death was totally avoidable, doesn't this coach deserve to go to prison for negligent homicide?
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28857582/

rugbythug
01-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Let's get real. The sun is the true culprit, It needs to be held accountable.

ludo21
01-26-2009, 10:41 AM
hmm...

Did the player ever go to the coach and say he didnt feel well? Defintiely avoidable but practice takes place in all temperatures. Coaches constantly told us to drink plenty of water and if we felt bad tell them!

I just dont know if I put this coach away for this.. unless he denied the kids chance to sit out.

Archer81
01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
So this coach purposely with held water from the kids during the hottest part of the day? I remember being told by coaches in any sport "HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE". Its sad the kid died, but unless the coach didnt allow him to get water or took water from him, how is it the coach's fault?

:Broncos:

Florida_Bronco
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
hmm...

Did the player ever go to the coach and say he didnt feel well? Defintiely avoidable but practice takes place in all temperatures. Coaches constantly told us to drink plenty of water and if we felt bad tell them!

I just dont know if I put this coach away for this.. unless he denied the kids chance to sit out.

Exactly.

hades
01-26-2009, 11:11 AM
If the coach purposely withheld water, then string him up, but I really doubt that is the case. Accidents happen, maybe the kid just wanted to push it as hard as he could to prove something?

Maybe it's the parents fault for letting him play football???

Hotrod
01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
I have a bum ankle from my highschool sports days. I'm thinking I may have found my golden ticket. Calling my lawyer now.

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I feel bad for the parents and the team, but suing isn't going to bring their boy back. It's also sad when parents pursue this line of reaction the know it's nobody's fault. If one wishes to engage in that game, then who's fault is it that the boy was out there playing football?

Hotrod
01-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I feel bad for the parents and the team, but suing isn't going to bring their boy back. It's also sad when parents pursue this line of reaction the know it's nobodies fault. If one wishes to engage that game, then who's fault is it that the boy was out there playing football?

obviously it is the fault of the NFL, the players, the television/radio stations that air the game, and the merchants who produce the NFL products for glorifying the game. I would include them all in this lawsuit. IMHO

Rock Chalk
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Given that this death was totally avoidable, doesn't this coach deserve to go to prison for negligent homicide?
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28857582/

Maybe.

No - If the coach was like every other coach in america and told his players to keep hydrated and in hot temps, make sure you took a break from time to time.

Yes - If the coach refused to allow players breaks and/or get water or didn't properly inform moronic teenagers that you need to keep hydrated and not overexert yourself in extreme heat.

Im leanign towards no. I played HS football for one semester in Houston Texas and if you know anything about HS football in Texas its that coaches are bad ass hard working dudes that push you to your limits but they ALWAYS tell you to keep hydrated and if you dont feel well they WILL let you sit for a few minutes. However, without all the facts it could be that this coach truly is a dip**** moron and didnt let his kids drink water aplenty or take breaks when needed. I dont know, but Im doubtful thats the case.

Rohirrim
01-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Maybe.

No - If the coach was like every other coach in america and told his players to keep hydrated and in hot temps, make sure you took a break from time to time.

Yes - If the coach refused to allow players breaks and/or get water or didn't properly inform moronic teenagers that you need to keep hydrated and not overexert yourself in extreme heat.

Im leanign towards no. I played HS football for one semester in Houston Texas and if you know anything about HS football in Texas its that coaches are bad ass hard working dudes that push you to your limits but they ALWAYS tell you to keep hydrated and if you dont feel well they WILL let you sit for a few minutes. However, without all the facts it could be that this coach truly is a dip**** moron and didnt let his kids drink water aplenty or take breaks when needed. I dont know, but Im doubtful thats the case.

I agree. I can only imagine that the DA doesn't know anything about football, or this coach had a history of doing the nazi thing on the kids. Judging by community reaction, the coach has a lot of support.