PDA

View Full Version : After Senior bowl mock.

Elway777
01-25-2009, 04:39 PM
The Broncos trade down with Detroit for 20 plus top pick in 3 round.
1. Rey Rey, prefect player to play inside linebacker in 3-4.
2. Larry English, could be a real good stong side outside linebacker.
3a. Donald Brown, North - South runner that fits Broncos Scheme.
3b Terrance Taylor, Stong and Wide Body nose Tackle
4, Jarron Gilbert,3-4 De
5a Skip Vaughn ,Looked good at senior bowl
5b. Andre Brown, best running back at senior bowl
6a Victor Butler, Speed 3-4 outside linebacker
6b Brandon Fletcher, 5 Cb
7. Brian Hartline, 5 receiver.

lex
01-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Youre addressing possibly the most important position on the defense with a 4th round pick? And youre very possibly reaching if youre banking on Taylor.

theAPAOps5
01-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Yep, right now to me its Raji in the first. That depends on how he rebounds from a lackluster Senior Bowl at the combine. But I think that is where Denver goes.

Ziggy
01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Yep, right now to me its Raji in the first. That depends on how he rebounds from a lackluster Senior Bowl at the combine. But I think that is where Denver goes.

I think the Broncos would love to go with Raji, but if he has a decent combine, I doubt he's there at 12.

It's even more unlikely the Maualuga is there at 20.

lex
01-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I think the Broncos would love to go with Raji, but if he has a decent combine, I doubt he's there at 12.

It's even more unlikely the Maualuga is there at 20.

The trade down fairy strikes again.

theAPAOps5
01-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Nah Raji will be there. There is a lot of other needs above Denver. Especially with at least 2 teams who will reach for a franchise QB when there really isn't one. So I can see Raji easily falling like Clady did last year.

Broncos_OTM
01-25-2009, 08:13 PM
4, Jarron Gilbert,3-4 De
Rey Rey most likely will be a chief i doubt he gets past them.

Larry English had a pretty good senior bowl. but he is gonna have to show me more.

Donald Brown i am ok with

Terrance Taylor would be a good reserve in this leauge. Pair him up with Powell and it might work until we can find a True NT

Skip Vaughn is a good pick and hopefully he can pull off ST duties his first year.

Gilbert is a good pick although with 3-4 Defenses popping up and his ability to play UT i think he maybe long gone by that point

And i like what collier had to say you build from the inside out on a 3-4 so i think you need atleast one more prospect. maybe jasper brinkley?

theAPAOps5
01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I think the Chiefs go offense in the first so Ray Ray could easily get pat them but then again I think he falls to the later 1st. Jamie Dukes said on NFL Network that 5 to 6 OT's will go in the first round. That will be interesting to see. All I know is I am glad Clady came out last year or he wouldn't be in Denver.

Broncos_OTM
01-25-2009, 08:23 PM
I think the Chiefs go offense in the first so Ray Ray could easily get pat them but then again I think he falls to the later 1st. Jamie Dukes said on NFL Network that 5 to 6 OT's will go in the first round. That will be interesting to see. All I know is I am glad Clady came out last year or he wouldn't be in Denver.

I personally think Rey M is a bit over rated but he very well could be a packer or 49er. i dont see him slipping past SD

Paladin
01-25-2009, 09:03 PM

I agree. Denver is so fortunate to have a darn good Oline right now. Only need backups or just replace the C position. I think Casey will do one more year....

lex
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I agree. Denver is so fortunate to have a darn good Oline right now. Only need backups or just replace the C position. I think Casey will do one more year....
No, there are some good centers in this draft and we need two good young interior Olinemen to enter the picture and take over for Hamilton and Wiegmann. Wiegmann is long in the tooth and Hamilton gets ragdolled too much.

La Caspa Del Diablo
Donald Brown = Chris Brown II. Too frail to be much more than a change of pace back. Pass.

~Crash~
Youre addressing possibly the most important position on the defense with a 4th round pick? And youre very possibly reaching if youre banking on Taylor.

nope you are wrong .

lex
01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
nope you are wrong .

And on ignore you go.

cutthemdown
01-25-2009, 09:08 PM
IMO Broncos will select a OG/C and for sure a safety.

cutthemdown
01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
No, there are some good safeties in this draft and we need two good young interior Olinemen to enter the picture and take over for Hamilton and Wiegmann. Wiegmann is long in the tooth and Hamilton gets ragdolled too much.

great post I totally agree. Hamilton way smaller then what Mcdaniels will want plus he's getting older. We need a center for sure IMO.

Hamilton played well last yr i don't agree with he get's ragdolled, but he does have trouble in the redzone moving bigger players out of the way.

lex
01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
great post I totally agree. Hamilton way smaller then what Mcdaniels will want plus he's getting older. We need a center for sure IMO.

Hamilton played well last yr i don't agree with he get's ragdolled, but he does have trouble in the redzone moving bigger players out of the way.

FYI, even though you seem to know this, I meant Center and not Safety in my post. Ive changed it.

gyldenlove
01-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Nah Raji will be there. There is a lot of other needs above Denver. Especially with at least 2 teams who will reach for a franchise QB when there really isn't one. So I can see Raji easily falling like Clady did last year.

Clady fell partly because of Sedrick Ellis. With the top of the draft heavy on OT talent this year, Raji will have even more value as the top rated DL.

A number of teams could use help on the DL, Cincinnati at number 6, Jacksonville at 8 who needs to replace Stroud, Green Bay at 9 are switching to 3-4 and need a NT and San Fransisco need a NT for their 3-4.

San Fransisco and Cincinnati both need OT, but if they only have Oher left on the board, they could look elsewhere.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2009, 09:22 PM
No, there are some good centers in this draft and we need two good young interior Olinemen to enter the picture and take over for Hamilton and Wiegmann. Wiegmann is long in the tooth and Hamilton gets ragdolled too much.

Ignoring Lichtensteiger?

~Crash~
01-25-2009, 09:46 PM
And on ignore you go.

LMAO wow .... a Great MLB'er keeps the stink down .. but have at it huckleberry !!!

cutthemdown
01-25-2009, 09:48 PM
FYI, even though you seem to know this, I meant Center and not Safety in my post. Ive changed it.

I thought you meant both which is still true we do need both.

You can't neglect the oline though it's transformation is not complete. Now if the center whose name I cant type, Lichten%#^%^@ works out then thats great. The thing is we really don't know about him yet and would be wise to bring in some depth in that area.

Somehow I knew what you meant. LOL

~Crash~
01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I am not sayin NT is not important but that drafting not is not easy . MLB seem to be easy compared to drafting DT's in the first round worth there salt

~Crash~
01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
DT's take years MLBer take drafting .

~Crash~
01-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Draft Brace in the 2nd round .

lex
01-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I thought you meant both which is still true we do need both.

You can't neglect the oline though it's transformation is not complete. Now if the center whose name I cant type, Lichten%#^%^@ works out then thats great. The thing is we really don't know about him yet and would be wise to bring in some depth in that area.

Somehow I knew what you meant. LOL

I would prefer to sign Atogwe as opposed to relying on FA to get DLinemen.

BroncoMan4ever
01-25-2009, 11:01 PM
i say we go for Raji in the 1st, if he isn't available when we pick, we go after Everett Brown, if both are gone, we trade back and pick up an extra 3rd round pick. and with the 1st rounder that would be in the 20's take Brian Cushing, he can take over for us at SAM if we stay in a 4-3 and can move inside if we convert to 3-4.
Look at Raji's backup Brace in the 2nd, and Rashard Jennings with the 3rd we picked up for trading back in the 1st.

immediately we upgrade our defensive front 7 and we add a beast at RB and the offense is instantly better.

in FA go after Atogwe, and some good quality guys who can play and fill some holes on defense. not superstars, just high energy, good character hard working players

BroncoMan4ever
01-25-2009, 11:10 PM

i agree. i like Hamilton, but would like him even more as a backup to a bigger G. Weigman played great for us this year, but is up there in age and it would be nice to get a C and let him ride the pine for a year and take over when Weigman retired.

if Lichtensteiger can take over at C that is great, but either way i would still like us to get some more depth on the line.

La Caspa Del Diablo
01-26-2009, 01:11 AM
I am not sayin NT is not important but that drafting not is not easy . MLB seem to be easy compared to drafting DT's in the first round worth there salt

I feel you. The jury is still out on whether Raji can be a 3-4 NT.

How many teams now run the 3-4 these days?

In the defense of the 3-4 NT, Pittsburgh (Casey Hampton), New England (Vince Wilork) and Baltimore (Haloti Ngata) have all recently used 1st round picks on 4-3 DTs and hit the jackpot.

Jammal Williams was a supplemental 2nd round pick. Still a high one.

Anthony Adams (San Francisco 2nd round) comes to mind as a semi-bust, but how many 3-4 teams have used high picks on tackles in recent years and had egg splat in their faces?

cutthemdown
01-26-2009, 01:21 AM
Since FA comes first I think Broncos should try and just grab some good players in FA. They can't say we don't need a FA safety we will grab one in draft because it may not work out. I think the thing to do is send out the feelers to all the good talent in FA, see which ones would be excited about an offer to play in Denver. Then bring those players in and try to sign as many as you can with whatever they allocate in dollars for FA.

If it turns out the only elite FA who likes coming to Denver is Asomugha then so be it. Better to sign a killer CB then no one right?

Broncos so thin on defense any position they get that is filled by a new better player will make team better.

DE/DT/SSL/WSL/MLB/SS/FS/CB take your pick its wide open.

get what you can, make team better, draft best available player regardless of need, and keep building for the future.

What would you rather have in 2nd round. A killer offensive guard that replaces Hamilton and makes the offensive line better, or because we need a safety we take on and he is really avg or no good?

I say always take the player who will be the best pro football player. You do that yr in and yr out and eventually you will have a good team.

BroncoMan4ever
01-26-2009, 01:58 AM
Since FA comes first I think Broncos should try and just grab some good players in FA. They can't say we don't need a FA safety we will grab one in draft because it may not work out. I think the thing to do is send out the feelers to all the good talent in FA, see which ones would be excited about an offer to play in Denver. Then bring those players in and try to sign as many as you can with whatever they allocate in dollars for FA.

If it turns out the only elite FA who likes coming to Denver is Asomugha then so be it. Better to sign a killer CB then no one right?

Broncos so thin on defense any position they get that is filled by a new better player will make team better.

get what you can, make team better, draft best available player regardless of need, and keep building for the future.

What would you rather have in 2nd round. A killer offensive guard that replaces Hamilton and makes the offensive line better, or because we need a safety we take on and he is really avg or no good?

I say always take the player who will be the best pro football player. You do that yr in and yr out and eventually you will have a good team.

i agree with the take best available player, which is why i would not be upset if we ended up taking Wells in the 1st. he upgrades our offense we can control the clock and keep our rebuilding defense on the sidelines.

socalorado
01-26-2009, 07:23 AM

I am starting to believe that this is the way DEN goes.It will still be very much dependent on what happens in FA, so its just a toss up right now, but i still think if REY REY or Raji are there, they take one of em.
No way REY REY is at #20, so thats out.
Raji still could be gone by #10, although i think the QBs will go top #10 too, which may leave Curry odd man out if he can get by CLE and JAX. Kind of a pipe dream but, i gotta hope for something.

Its all just coffee shop sh!t talk untill FA begins, then we will see what DEN does, which will play directly into what they do in the draft.

Elway777
01-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Donald Brown = Chris Brown II. Too frail to be much more than a change of pace back. Pass. Donald Brown is a weight room warrior. He has a incredible bench and squat for a running back. Plus he carried the football over 30 times a game against 8 and 9 man fronts. Brown is anything but to frail.

La Caspa Del Diablo
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Donald Brown is a weight room warrior. He has a incredible bench and squat for a running back. Plus he carried the football over 30 times a game against 8 and 9 man fronts. Brown is anything but to frail.

Brown is a solid back in many areas, but he's not exceptional anywhere. He's not explosive for a 210 pound running back.

He makes clean cuts though. I will give you that.

Rohirrim
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Clay Matthews: The Next Romanowski. ;D

socalorado
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM

I dont know about that. Matthews is considered a "pretty boy" by alot of girls here.
However the more i think about DEN current situation with Nolan and trying to convert somewhat to a 3-4, i think it would be in DENs best interest to try to trade back with PHIL.
Something like,
Philadelphia trade picks 1.21, 1.27, and 2.21 to Denver for picks 1.12, 2.16, and 3.15

21. Denver (from Philadelphia (9-6-1)) Brian Cushing, OLB USC
Could play both ILB or OLB in the 3-4.Terrific athleticism and versatility. Excellent hips, good pass rushing skills in blitz and from the end position. Would suit a hybrid 3-4/4-3 scheme. (from MileHighReport)
27. Denver (from Car. (11-5) via Philly) LeSean McCoy, RB Pittsburgh
Completes the offense, and with Hillis, will make for a evil combination.
(OR! as another option at #27-Tyson Jackson, 3-4 DE/4-3 DT - LSU )

2ND ROUND
21. Denver (from Philadelphia) Ron Brace, NT Boston College
3-4 NT that Nolan can take and mold into a true monster.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2009, 03:03 AM

i like Cushing more than him, but i would be happy with Matthews on the team.

my plan as of right now(i am under the thinking we will play a 3-4) would be to trade back from 12 into the 20's and take Cushing in the 1st. has experience playing DE and is a good LB, and would fit in as our Terrell Suggs in a 3-4

in the 2nd we go after Raji's backup Brace

in the 3rd we take Rashard Jennings

Cito Pelon
01-27-2009, 11:49 AM

Sure, first we have to see what FA brings. There's a ton of good D players out there in FA this year. Seems clear the team will go gangbuster for FA's for the immediate impact, who they will be I don't know, but there's so many potential impact D players available for sure Denver will go after some hard at DL, S, LB. This is a new staff and a remake that Bowlen wants to see accomplished fast. It's in everybody's interest that the team goes after 2 or 3 big names hard in FA on D.

I imagine the FO is thinking just what you're thinking. Attack FA's hard for the quick impact, then supplement FA in the draft with BPA. Hopefully we get out of the cycle of drafting for need.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Sure, first we have to see what FA brings. There's a ton of good D players out there in FA this year. Seems clear the team will go gangbuster for FA's for the immediate impact, who they will be I don't know, but there's so many potential impact D players available for sure Denver will go after some hard at DL, S, LB. This is a new staff and a remake that Bowlen wants to see accomplished fast. It's in everybody's interest that the team goes after 2 or 3 big names hard in FA on D.

I imagine the FO is thinking just what you're thinking. Attack FA's hard for the quick impact, then supplement FA in the draft with BPA. Hopefully we get out of the cycle of drafting for need.

i agree. our Front Office and coaching staff are probably right now setting up their game plan for who they are going to go after, what positions they will go after in FA, and use the draft for impact players who will come in immediately and contribute.

we are going into FA hard this offseason guaranteed. Bowlen wants this team back in contention now, not in a few seasons. and he is going to give McD the cash to spend under the eyes of the Goodmans

ward63
01-27-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't understand why some of you guys want to give Hamilton the boot, even if Casey comes back. If Casey leaves, then move him in and hopefully have another G, but until then I'd still say Ben needs to start.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't understand why some of you guys want to give Hamilton the boot, even if Casey comes back. If Casey leaves, then move him in and hopefully have another G, but until then I'd still say Ben needs to start.

i like him and have no problem with him remaining the starter, but i would just rather like to get someone bigger and stronger and younger than he is.

La Caspa Del Diablo
01-27-2009, 09:05 PM

Hamilton deserves to be the starter for another year, but I think you will agree that it doesn't hurt to scout potential long-term chips in the interior line.

oubronco
01-28-2009, 09:10 AM

It worked for the Cardinals although they always got a top 5 pick for quite a while

gyldenlove
01-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I dont know about that. Matthews is considered a "pretty boy" by alot of girls here.
However the more i think about DEN current situation with Nolan and trying to convert somewhat to a 3-4, i think it would be in DENs best interest to try to trade back with PHIL.
Something like,
Philadelphia trade picks 1.21, 1.27, and 2.21 to Denver for picks 1.12, 2.16, and 3.15

21. Denver (from Philadelphia (9-6-1)) Brian Cushing, OLB USC
Could play both ILB or OLB in the 3-4.Terrific athleticism and versatility. Excellent hips, good pass rushing skills in blitz and from the end position. Would suit a hybrid 3-4/4-3 scheme. (from MileHighReport)
27. Denver (from Car. (11-5) via Philly) LeSean McCoy, RB Pittsburgh
Completes the offense, and with Hillis, will make for a evil combination.
(OR! as another option at #27-Tyson Jackson, 3-4 DE/4-3 DT - LSU )

2ND ROUND
21. Denver (from Philadelphia) Ron Brace, NT Boston College
3-4 NT that Nolan can take and mold into a true monster.

I don't like Cushing over all, I like what he brings as a player, but his injury history is so long that Tolkien would call it excessive. I am not big on investing 4 years and 8 million bucks in a player who only plays 50% of the games.

In that scenario I would have Moreno at 21 and Tyson Jackson at 27 if they fall that far.

socalorado
01-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't like Cushing over all, I like what he brings as a player, but his injury history is so long that Tolkien would call it excessive. I am not big on investing 4 years and 8 million bucks in a player who only plays 50% of the games.

In that scenario I would have Moreno at 21 and Tyson Jackson at 27 if they fall that far.

Yeah, i hear ya with Cushing. None of his injries have been serious though, if theres a positive that the only one i can see in regards to his injuries.
If DEN could just somehow aquire another 2nd....

So, who do you think SD would take at #16? (hypothetically) Moreno, McCoy or Wells? Also, does SD even have a 2nd rounder this year? I dont think they do.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah, i hear ya with Cushing. None of his injries have been serious though, if theres a positive that the only one i can see in regards to his injuries.
If DEN could just somehow aquire another 2nd....

So, who do you think SD would take at #16? (hypothetically) Moreno, McCoy or Wells? Also, does SD even have a 2nd rounder this year? I dont think they do.

i say SD jumps all over Wells if he is still there at 16.

lex
01-29-2009, 06:07 AM

He gets ragdolled too much. He's ok...not horrible but not great either.

bpc
01-29-2009, 07:49 AM
4, Jarron Gilbert,3-4 De

Just a shot in the dark but if i'm using your mock draft my wish list looks like:

1. Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU - Will man the strongside DE in 3-4 w/ Crowder.
2. Clay Mathews - SOLB - USC - One of the toughest positions to fill in the 3-4. I think Mathews can bring the pressure when needed but what he can really do is bump opposing TE's and run with them down the field. He looked natural in coverage at the senior bowl.
3a.Jarron Gilbert - DE/DT - SJSU - Already experienced in the 3-4 in Dick Tomey's desert swarm version. Has the ability to bounce back and fourth between end and tackle. His body is still growing, still getting bigger. He would provide a tremendous amount of versatility at his position.
3b.Mitch King - NT/DT - Iowa - I think in the end people will let him slide a little because of his size. This sounds crazy but I think he can play NT in a 3-4. He might not be an every down guy there but he gives people that pass rush ability from that spot, a non-stop motor and I think he can put on some weight and be a real bitch in the middle. He's also a versatile guy that can be moved around a lot.
4. Andy Levitre - OG - OSU - Short arms are overated. What you need to look at is that he ALWAYS gets his hands on the guys on the next level and he is a beast in pass protection. With Weigmann on the fence about coming back next season, most likely Hamilton and Lichtensteiger move towards the starting role at center opening up a left guard spot for Levitre to start. Andy comes from the school of Mike Cavanaugh so the kid is going to be seriously coached up and ready to go on the next level.
5a. Joe Burnett - CB - UCF - One of my big sleepers. He's not getting a lot of love and with all the juniors coming out he'll slide but he's had big time production in college and UCF has beeing putting out some quality NFL players recently. I think he continues that trend. He isn't a blazer, probably won't hit a 4.3 or even 4.4 but he's got a knack for creating turnovers. That will be huge on the next level. Somewhat similar rep that Asante Samuel had coming out of UCF.
5b. Kevin Ellison - SS - USC - Has shown that he'll come up and smack people in the face. I think he takes over the Strong role and Denver makes a serious play for Atogwhe, the FA from St. Louis to play the FS. Reminds me a little of Rodney Harrison. Coachable, mean-spirited and will come after you.
6. Jasper Brinkley - MLB - SCar - Big boy who can run well enough and IMO plays with a lot of instincts. Had a injury filled career but he's a sleeper and if he can get fully healthy, could be a load in the middle of our defense.
7a. Demonte Bolden - DE/NT - Tennesee - Potential pick here. Bolden is a thick DE who never reached the level that many thought he would reach. Still, he has some NFL caliber skills and excellent size which should help his progression to the next level. He's also a good that could add weight and potentially get some reps at NT. His 6'5 frame should be able to hold it.
7b. Daniel Holtzclaw - ILB - Eastern Michigan - A big LB who is a little unknown because of where he played. He's a 47 game starter at EMU and has racked up close to 100 tackles or more for 4 straight seasons.

UDFA - Take your pick of several versatile backs, notably Sutton from Northwestern. Personally, I think Hillis is the starter next season with a bullet.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Just a shot in the dark but if i'm using your mock draft my wish list looks like:

2. Clay Mathews - SOLB - USC - One of the toughest positions to fill in the 3-4. I think Mathews can bring the pressure when needed but what he can really do is bump opposing TE's and run with them down the field. He looked natural in coverage at the senior bowl.
3a.Jarron Gilbert - DE/DT - SJSU - Already experienced in the 3-4 in Dick Tomey's desert swarm version. Has the ability to bounce back and fourth between end and tackle. His body is still growing, still getting bigger. He would provide a tremendous amount of versatility at his position.
3b.Mitch King - NT/DT - Iowa - I think in the end people will let him slide a little because of his size. This sounds crazy but I think he can play NT in a 3-4. He might not be an every down guy there but he gives people that pass rush ability from that spot, a non-stop motor and I think he can put on some weight and be a real b**** in the middle. He's also a versatile guy that can be moved around a lot.
4. Andy Levitre - OG - OSU - Short arms are overated. What you need to look at is that he ALWAYS gets his hands on the guys on the next level and he is a beast in pass protection. With Weigmann on the fence about coming back next season, most likely Hamilton and Lichtensteiger move towards the starting role at center opening up a left guard spot for Levitre to start. Andy comes from the school of Mike Cavanaugh so the kid is going to be seriously coached up and ready to go on the next level.
5a. Joe Burnett - CB - UCF - One of my big sleepers. He's not getting a lot of love and with all the juniors coming out he'll slide but he's had big time production in college and UCF has beeing putting out some quality NFL players recently. I think he continues that trend. He isn't a blazer, probably won't hit a 4.3 or even 4.4 but he's got a knack for creating turnovers. That will be huge on the next level. Somewhat similar rep that Asante Samuel had coming out of UCF.
5b. Kevin Ellison - SS - USC - Has shown that he'll come up and smack people in the face. I think he takes over the Strong role and Denver makes a serious play for Atogwhe, the FA from St. Louis to play the FS. Reminds me a little of Rodney Harrison. Coachable, mean-spirited and will come after you.
6. Jasper Brinkley - MLB - SCar - Big boy who can run well enough and IMO plays with a lot of instincts. Had a injury filled career but he's a sleeper and if he can get fully healthy, could be a load in the middle of our defense.
7a. Demonte Bolden - DE/NT - Tennesee - Potential pick here. Bolden is a thick DE who never reached the level that many thought he would reach. Still, he has some NFL caliber skills and excellent size which should help his progression to the next level. He's also a good that could add weight and potentially get some reps at NT. His 6'5 frame should be able to hold it.
7b. Daniel Holtzclaw - ILB - Eastern Michigan - A big LB who is a little unknown because of where he played. He's a 47 game starter at EMU and has racked up close to 100 tackles or more for 4 straight seasons.

UDFA - Take your pick of several versatile backs, notably Sutton from Northwestern. Personally, I think Hillis is the starter next season with a bullet.

so you're not going to address the biggest need in a 3-4 defense until the 7th round in a guy who if he could add some weight, could eventually get reps at NT?

bpc
01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Who would you rather put in there? An overated Ron Brace? Terrence Taylor? Those are the only two "LEGIT" guys that could play the nose and are either of those guys better than Carlton Powell who was hyped as a NT type coming out of Va Tech? Are either of those guys better then the guys on my mock draft?

I don't think so.

I know some of you guys are reaching so hard saying we need to draft a nosetackle but there aren't any out there. The ones that are, are being seriously over-rated because there isn't anything else. You draft based on the BPA, ALWAYS.

We are probably more apt to find a NT in FA than we are in the draft anyways. I wouldn't count out Carlton Powell either. I actually think he'll be great in that role.

A little stat for ya:

Carlton Powell is the only active defensive tackle in the Division 1-A collegiate ranks to have held the opponent to minus yardage rushing during his career (106 plays for losses of 13 yards)...The only time an opponent registered a rushing attempt for more than 10 yards vs. Powell came on a 13-yard gain by Virginia's Mikell Simpson in 2007...Only four times during his 104 career tackles has the opposition managed to register a first down on that play.

lex
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
We need to get a nose tackle.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Who would you rather put in there? An overated Ron Brace? Terrence Taylor? Those are the only two "LEGIT" guys that could play the nose and are either of those guys better than Carlton Powell who was hyped as a NT type coming out of Va Tech? Are either of those guys better then the guys on my mock draft?

I don't think so.

I know some of you guys are reaching so hard saying we need to draft a nosetackle but there aren't any out there. The ones that are, are being seriously over-rated because there isn't anything else. You draft based on the BPA, ALWAYS.

We are probably more apt to find a NT in FA than we are in the draft anyways. I wouldn't count out Carlton Powell either. I actually think he'll be great in that role.

A little stat for ya:

Carlton Powell is the only active defensive tackle in the Division 1-A collegiate ranks to have held the opponent to minus yardage rushing during his career (106 plays for losses of 13 yards)...The only time an opponent registered a rushing attempt for more than 10 yards vs. Powell came on a 13-yard gain by Virginia's Mikell Simpson in 2007...Only four times during his 104 career tackles has the opposition managed to register a first down on that play.

i know Powell's stats and wish he was available this season. but i don't think he is big enough to handle the NT position.

mattob14
01-29-2009, 06:00 PM

3b.Mitch King - NT/DT - Iowa - I think in the end people will let him slide a little because of his size. This sounds crazy but I think he can play NT in a 3-4. He might not be an every down guy there but he gives people that pass rush ability from that spot, a non-stop motor and I think he can put on some weight and be a real b**** in the middle. He's also a versatile guy that can be moved around a lot.

I'd be doing backflips over that draft. We need to focus on the front-7, and this does exactly that. The secondary value in round 5 is a bonus. There's no way we'll be able to address every need in this one draft, but if we focus on maximizing value, we'll do just fine. NT doesn't bring much value this year, at least after Brace's poor Senior Bowl showing, so I'd agree that NT is the one spot that probably won't be addressed early in the draft.

ayjackson
01-29-2009, 09:03 PM

Good bunch of players. Best effort at a mock I've seen yet, as all players really fit the defence. Depending on the combine, there might even be the opportunity to move back a bit to take Jackson and add another pick.