PDA

View Full Version : Good McDaniels interview with Woody Paige

titan
01-25-2009, 01:30 PM
In the Denver Post today - read it at:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11543218

I like this quote:

"we've got a lot of room for improvement on offense, in our kicking game, on defense. There's not one specific area. We need to get better everywhere. I am all about all of them."

I know the defense has been the focus and I'm anxious to see what changes McDaniels will bring there, but to hear him say the offense has "alot of room for improvement" is interesting.

NFLBRONCO
01-25-2009, 01:35 PM

I like this quote:

"we've got a lot of room for improvement on offense, in our kicking game, on defense. There's not one specific area. We need to get better everywhere. I am all about all of them."

I know the defense has been the focus and I'm anxious to see what changes McDaniels will bring there, but to hear him say the offense has "alot of room for improvement" is interesting.

Why is it a shocker Denver easily could use another WR and RB with gamebreaker speed on O. It is just overshadowed by a really bad D. Our O was not as good as it should have been. We had a decent running game for a few weeks. Getting hit like we did at RB was unreal but, considering our running game was not that great Jay had decent time to throw most of the year.

Breaker
01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Is anyone else excited about getting that TE coach from the Chargers. I mean the guy made Crumpler and Gates All-Pros ..... next up TS baby!!!

Sodak
01-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Is anyone else excited about getting that TE coach from the Chargers. I mean the guy made Crumpler and Gates All-Pros ..... next up TS baby!!!

Yeah, if he can stay healty. I wonder if he'll keep floppy Putzier around?

lex
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Thats terrific!

WolfpackGuy
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Scoring in the red zone and short yardage could use improvement.

Broncojef
01-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Our entire offense needs to be looked at. Outside the normal 15 sripted plays there were weeks towards the end of the season it looked anemic and disfunctional. I know the 6-7 RB IR guys hurt us but None of those guys were big time playmakers and I thought Jay did a lousy job of keeping his head in the games at times and his pouty indifferent attitude was frustrating to watch. At some point he needs to become a leader and carry this team and I didn't see it this year. Its for these reasons I'm really happy bates is gone and McDaniels will refocus on the offense as well as building up the Defense.

NFLBRONCO
01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Our entire offense needs to be looked at. Outside the normal 15 sripted plays there were weeks towards the end of the season it looked anemic and disfunctional. I know the 6-7 RB IR guys hurt us but None of those guys were big time playmakers and I thought Jay did a lousy job of keeping his head in the games at times and his pouty indifferent attitude was frustrating to watch. At some point he needs to become a leader and carry this team and I didn't see it this year. Its for these reasons I'm really happy bates is gone and McDaniels will refocus on the offense as well as building up the Defense.

Excellent Post You are 100% correct.

TheReverend
01-25-2009, 02:40 PM

No he didn't.

NFLBRONCO
01-25-2009, 03:01 PM
No he didn't.

Wasn't he the guy that went to univ of Minn Brewster?

Dutch
01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
No he didn't.

Really?

"The Denver Broncos on Friday hired Clancy Barone as tight ends coach, it was announced.

Barone, who spent the past two NFL seasons in the same position with the San Diego Chargers, has five years of NFL experience, including his time with the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06. In his each of his four seasons as a tight ends coach in the NFL, one of his players led his team in receptions. Barone's tight ends totaled four Pro Bowl berths and one All-Pro selection.

Barone, 45, mentored Chargers tight end Antonio Gates in his two seasons with the club as his star pupil caught 135 passes for 1,688 yards and tied for an NFL-high among tight ends with 17 touchdown receptions over that span.

Before his stint in San Diego, Barone was the tight ends coach for the Atlanta Falcons from 2005-06 and helped tight end Alge Crumpler earn a trip to the Pro Bowl in both seasons, including his All-Pro selection in 2006. He entered his coaching career in the NFL as the assistant offensive line coach for the Falcons in 2004.

Before his NFL coaching career, Barone spent 17 seasons coaching in the collegiate ranks primarily with the offensive line. During that span, 27 offensive linemen who played for him signed NFL contracts. He coached five Outland Award (awarded to the best collegiate interior lineman) semifinalists and three Rimington Award (awarded to the nation's best collegiate center) semifinalists."

Gee Rev, Guess 1 all pro and 4 trips to the probowl isn't two guys to all pro so it rates the sarcastic post, eh? How about adding something to the thread instead of just being a punk?

BroncoMan4ever
01-25-2009, 03:38 PM

I like this quote:

is is obvious the offense needs work. we left at least 10 points on the field almost every game. we couldn't run the ball to save our lives, too many dropped passes, bad bubble screens every other play.

we had the 2nd most yards gained as an offense but we were like 16th in points scored. the entire team needs a lot of work.

TheReverend
01-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Really?

"The Denver Broncos on Friday hired Clancy Barone as tight ends coach, it was announced.

Barone, who spent the past two NFL seasons in the same position with the San Diego Chargers, has five years of NFL experience, including his time with the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06. In his each of his four seasons as a tight ends coach in the NFL, one of his players led his team in receptions. Barone's tight ends totaled four Pro Bowl berths and one All-Pro selection.

Barone, 45, mentored Chargers tight end Antonio Gates in his two seasons with the club as his star pupil caught 135 passes for 1,688 yards and tied for an NFL-high among tight ends with 17 touchdown receptions over that span.

Before his stint in San Diego, Barone was the tight ends coach for the Atlanta Falcons from 2005-06 and helped tight end Alge Crumpler earn a trip to the Pro Bowl in both seasons, including his All-Pro selection in 2006. He entered his coaching career in the NFL as the assistant offensive line coach for the Falcons in 2004.

Before his NFL coaching career, Barone spent 17 seasons coaching in the collegiate ranks primarily with the offensive line. During that span, 27 offensive linemen who played for him signed NFL contracts. He coached five Outland Award (awarded to the best collegiate interior lineman) semifinalists and three Rimington Award (awarded to the nation's best collegiate center) semifinalists."

Gee Rev, Guess 1 all pro and 4 trips to the probowl isn't two guys to all pro so it rates the sarcastic post, eh? How about adding something to the thread instead of just being a punk?

And how many probowls did Gates and Crumpler have before he showed up to "coach them up"?

cutthemdown
01-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Why is it a shocker Denver easily could use another WR and RB with gamebreaker speed on O. It is just overshadowed by a really bad D. Our O was not as good as it should have been. We had a decent running game for a few weeks. Getting hit like we did at RB was unreal but, considering our running game was not that great Jay had decent time to throw most of the year.

why does that surprise you? The offense was 16th or something like that in points scored. That will not get it done.

TheReverend
01-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Wasn't he the guy that went to univ of Minn Brewster?

Yeah, couldn't remember his name but someone was kind enough to remind me in a different thread a few days back.

TonyR
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
why does that surprise you? The offense was 16th or something like that in points scored. That will not get it done.

Very true, but the Shanahan fluffers like to say our offense was 2nd best in the NFL and that the O rebuild was masterful and complete.

DB Doom
01-25-2009, 06:56 PM
reads real well, forgot it was Woody for a moment.
exciting.

BroncoMan4ever
01-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Very true, but the Shanahan fluffers like to say our offense was 2nd best in the NFL and that the O rebuild was masterful and complete.

it was a decent offense with a lot of holes, it just looked incredible in comparison with our terrible defense.

ludo21
01-25-2009, 07:33 PM
McDaniels said he is typical of his age category: "I can text message. I can use a computer."

Shazaam! ;D

theAPAOps5
01-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I for one am very excited about him. I could be wrong but so far so good.

24champ
01-25-2009, 09:21 PM

It piled up a lot of yards for sure but Cutler and the team can improve in the redzone area.

NFLBRONCO
01-25-2009, 09:32 PM
I for one am very excited about him. I could be wrong but so far so good.

I am too this will be fun.

NFLBRONCO
01-25-2009, 09:34 PM
It piled up a lot of yards for sure but Cutler and the team can improve in the redzone area.

Shanny being such a guru on offense I never could figure out why we were so weak in the red zone in his era.

Willynowei
01-25-2009, 09:42 PM

Hard part's been done, and anyone who denies that simply doesn't know football.

baja
01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
McDaniels came to the Broncos when he had other choices, because "I was so impressed with Mr. (Pat) Bowlen, that gutless drunk" ..

24champ
01-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Shanny being such a guru on offense I never could figure out why we were so weak in the red zone in his era.

I am still pissed about the Packer game last season...

lex
01-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Im more pissed about that phantom holding call that took points away from us in a game that went into OT. And Im also pissed at that dip**** Bly who wasnt smart enough to not go for the cheese.

NFLBRONCO
01-25-2009, 10:05 PM

No doubt

Wes Mantooth
01-25-2009, 10:23 PM

I like this quote:

Why? Our offense was very predictable after game 5.

TheDave
01-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm really looking forward to the day when i feel confident about our new coach... This article didn't help much.

SoCalBronco
01-25-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm really looking forward to the day when i feel confident about our new coach... This article didn't help much.

Indeed.

Willynowei
01-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Lets be realistic, we are hoping this guy's gonna bring us a superbowl but history does not bode well at all for teams after the tenure of a HOF coach.

If you look at the track record of guys leaving New England and the track record of succesful franchises that part with a long time sucessful coach, you can't help but feel that this was a big gamble.

If the Chargers did something like this, I think we'd be estatic. Its hard to make the argument that expectations going into next season from a nuetral perspective are any higher than when Shanahan was still coach. If anything, next season we could end up with a poor offense, defense and special teams.

cutthemdown
01-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Lets be realistic, we are hoping this guy's gonna bring us a superbowl but history does not bode well at all for teams after the tenure of a HOF coach.

If you look at the track record of guys leaving New England and the track record of succesful franchises that part with a long time sucessful coach, you can't help but feel that this was a big gamble.

If the Chargers did something like this, I think we'd be estatic. Its hard to make the argument that expectations going into next season from a nuetral perspective are any higher than when Shanahan was still coach. If anything, next season we could end up with a poor offense, defense and special teams.

and people say I'm negative?

snowspot66
01-26-2009, 06:45 AM

Most HoF coaches that people reference are pre Free Agency. In the era of free agency having a Hall of Fame worthy coach becomes less important. It's not about building up talent over a decade and forming a dynasty. If anything the track record of the last decade shows that the new coaches are the ones that often get the best results out of their teams for a couple of years. There are of course complete failures but as long as we didn't get that then we'll be fine. It's not like we canned Shanahan to get Norv Turner.

I don't think McDaniels will fail. He wants it too much. Hopefully he'll get it with us and not have to do it on the second time around.

TheReverend
01-26-2009, 06:51 AM

I love the entire defensive staff, but on O, the only guys I have a favorable opinion of are our own hold-overs. So lopsided that it makes me worry that Nolan just picked out his defensive staff.

Broncoman13
01-26-2009, 07:22 AM
I love the entire defensive staff, but on O, the only guys I have a favorable opinion of are our own hold-overs. So lopsided that it makes me worry that Nolan just picked out his defensive staff.

Same concerns here. But, who can argue that the Niners WRs didn't play above average. Besides Isaac Bruce, they really don't have any "good" receivers. Yet young guys like Morgan were always producing. Plus he understands routes. Martz liked to put multiple routes together and would change single routes within a playcall as the situation dictated/allowed. Not all that uncommon as John Gruden did that a lot as well. But I'm sure that fits into what he likes to do and especially feels it fits the skillset of a guy like Eddie Royal, who McBicentennial must see as a Wes Welker clone. The real head scratcher for me was at OC. That is the one that has me a bit concerned although he's more QB coach and McB is the true OC.

cmhargrove
01-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Same concerns here. But, who can argue that the Niners WRs didn't play above average. Besides Isaac Bruce, they really don't have any "good" receivers. Yet young guys like Morgan were always producing. Plus he understands routes. Martz liked to put multiple routes together and would change single routes within a playcall as the situation dictated/allowed. Not all that uncommon as John Gruden did that a lot as well. But I'm sure that fits into what he likes to do and especially feels it fits the skillset of a guy like Eddie Royal, who McBicentennial must see as a Wes Welker clone. The real head scratcher for me was at OC. That is the one that has me a bit concerned although he's more QB coach and McB is the true OC.

I think he has stated this from the very beginning. He will re-mold and re-shape the offense to his scheme. He will call the plays on gameday. The new OC is just a weekly administrator and a figurehead. What's new?

We tried to copy his record setting offense from 2007. His offenses (with comparable talent) have outperformed our offenses. So what gives? Why don't we think this can help? Just getting rid of Slowik will reduce my blood pressure. I hate seeing Shanahan go - he was one of the reasons I love the Broncos. But, i'll admit, i'm a little excited about finally "cutting loose" from total defensive failure.

I like the way this organization is headed - i'm just holding my breath to see what happens in free agency. Who gets cut, who gets signed? It will answer a lot of questions for all of us when we see what personnel he chooses to work with.

TheReverend
01-26-2009, 07:37 AM

Huh? Morgan had 20 catches all season. In fact, if you take away Isaac Bruce only Bryant Johnson had over 30 catches! I know you can bang the "QB" drum, but someone can easily counter that with Mike Martz. There is zero notable production from this guy.

As for Barone, Gates was a three time pro-bowler long before he showed up, and in his two seasons coaching in SD, this season was easily his worst since his rookie year.

...and you already brought up the OC.

bjeffrey
01-26-2009, 09:07 AM
What I find difficult to assess, is how much better will the personnel department be in picking defensive talent without Shanny? Granted the defensive coaching has stunk it up, but the revolving door there has made it quite clear that nobody can make the D better without talent. I would have preferred that Bowlen start with a top flight GM guru. Since he didn't, we're left to guess about whether the personnel department will improve "by subtraction".

Ambiguous
01-26-2009, 09:24 AM
McDaniels said he is typical of his age category: "I can text message. I can use a computer."

http://blog.feefifoto.com/images/2008/02/13/lombardi_trophy.jpg

Man-Goblin
01-26-2009, 09:32 AM
http://blog.feefifoto.com/images/2008/02/13/lombardi_trophy.jpg

I just noticed that trophy looks like someone dropped it down a flight of stairs.

TonyR
01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
As for Barone, Gates was a three time pro-bowler long before he showed up, and in his two seasons coaching in SD, this season was easily his worst since his rookie year.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, and I'm certainly not crowning Barone, but Gates was dealing with some significant injury issues this season. I don't think he was even close to 100% the entire year.

Kaylore
01-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Not to "fluff" but when we had healthy running backs we had the highest red-zone converting percentage in the league by mid-season. We were also top three in scoring. Bad things happen to any team without a running game.

TheReverend
01-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Not to "fluff" but when we had healthy running backs we had the highest red-zone converting percentage in the league by mid-season. We were also top three in scoring. Bad things happen to any team without a running game.

We also had some turnovers back then :)

A glance at Denver's 3rd down conversion rate should answer ANYONE's questions about how good the offense was last year. It was phenomenal.

TheReverend
01-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, and I'm certainly not crowning Barone, but Gates was dealing with some significant injury issues this season. I don't think he was even close to 100% the entire year.

He was and it's not condemning Barone, but people are way too free to give him credit for teaching what to prior pro-bowlers? Anyone see a change in Crumpler or Gates' technique when Barone arrived? If anything, Gates has had an easier time since Chambers arrived.

Also, both suck a fat dick at blocking which is where we need Scheff to develop. We'd be better off just asking Dan Graham to player-coach.

no-pseudo-fan
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
The Offense could use some help, not a lot, just some. We need to score more. We should have B.Marsh run more crossing routes a la Larry Fitz. We need to be more consistant running the ball. Cutler Marshall and Royal need to work on timing of long balls. New route combination should also be helpful.

montrose
01-27-2009, 12:40 PM
We also had some turnovers back then :)

A glance at Denver's 3rd down conversion rate should answer ANYONE's questions about how good the offense was last year. It was phenomenal.

The 3rd down conversion rate was great (nearly 50%) but the turnovers were just got awful.

TheReverend
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
The 3rd down conversion rate was great (nearly 50%) but the turnovers were just got awful.

Offensive turnovers or takeaways?

Cito Pelon
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Well, good lord it was time for a change in leadership. Denver going into the 1999 season was just about the most kickass team the AFC had ever seen. Six AFC Championships, B2B Lombardis. Denver was right there to grab the elite status all-time for a franchise.

But Bowlen and Shanny f'd that up, that's for sure. 10 seasons since then the only title added to the total is one AFC West title. It was certainly time to shake up the franchise and try to get back on the title track. Denver has some ground to make up.

montrose
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Offensive turnovers or takeaways?

Both actually, but I was referring to the offensive ones.

TheReverend
01-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Both actually, but I was referring to the offensive ones.

Some of the picks WERE dumb, but probably a good 30% or higher could've been attributed to a complete lack of faith in the defense, the rest and the fumbles, **** happens. If we had a defense making short fields for the offense, we could've had a worse 3rd down conversion rate and been a better scoring with the same amount of offensive turnovers, and maybe be playing in the Superbowl (AZ had the same amount of offensive turnovers, were significantly worse on third down and yet were able to score more thanks to short fields :) )

Cito Pelon
01-27-2009, 02:09 PM
It's a three phase game. Pitt will probably win the Lombardi because they have the best three phase game.

ZONA
01-27-2009, 03:23 PM

That was an excellent take. Along with those times our offense seemed lost, there were far far too many turnovers again this year.

I would say, just in 2 areas alone, this team should improve big time. Way to many turnovers on offense and maybe the most pathetic ever numbers in Broncos history at Defensive takeaways.