PDA

View Full Version : Cutler is working out at Vandy with Old Teamate Earl Bennett

cutlerfan
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.insidevandy.com/drupal/node/9257

Earl Bennett, the Southeastern Conference's career receptions leader and current member of the Chicago Bears, has come back to Vanderbilt to work towards his undergraduate degree in the off-season.

"Getting my degree has always been a number one priority so it's a must on my agenda," said Bennett, who is pursuing degrees in both sociology and educational studies.After enduring a rookie season in which he was a solid contributor on special teams but did not register any official statistics, he made the decision to come back to Nashville rather than staying in the Windy City and working out with his Bears teammates.

"I'm staying in shape by working out with coach (John) Sisk," Bennett said of Vanderbilt's strength and conditioning coach. "He does a great job, and Jay Cutler and Marcus Buggs work out with me so we get after it a bit.

"Coming out of high school in Alabama, Bennett originally committed to the University of Kentucky before backing out late in the process in order to sign with the Commodores."Signing out of high school, a Vandy education was a big part of me coming to school (here)," Bennett said. "Having the chance to come to a great academic school was a plus, and it means a lot to me being in the pros because everyone knows football doesn't last forever."As one of coach Bobby Johnson's recent success stories coming out of the Commodore football program, Bennett was proud to be on the sidelines for their historic bowl victory over Boston College in the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl."Coach Johnson and his staff do a great job at recruiting players and putting them in great situations so I was very proud," Bennett said.For Johnson, the feeling is mutual."It's always great to have Earl back," said Johnson. "The important thing is that he's here to work on his degree."Johnson is also proud of the example Bennett has set for the younger players."I think our guys can see an example of what hard work can do for you, and it's not out of the question for some of them to reach the same platform that Earl's on," ýJohnson said.But even while in Chicago, Bennett never really stopped learning."We didn't make the playoffs, but I learned a lot and towards the end got some game experience on offense," he said. "Hopefully, I can have a even better sophomore season."Time will tell if Bennett will have as much of an impact in the NFL as he had in college. But if history is any indication, the city of Chicago had better be prepared.Opposing teams would be wise to take notice; Earl Bennett is a quick study, both on and off the field.

strafen
01-22-2009, 08:27 PM
You're pretty obsessed with Cutler, aren't you? Yikes!

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 08:33 PM
You're pretty obsessed with Cutler, aren't you? Yikes!

I think we all are. At least those of us whose Adopt-a-Bronco isn't Tommy Maddox :P

cutlerfan
01-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I am not obsessed at all. I just thought you would like to know your starting QB is not sitting on his ass. He actually has a great work ethic. I also would say that he is getting ready for the Pro Bowl.

Florida_Bronco
01-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I think we all are. At least those of us whose Adopt-a-Bronco isn't Tommy Maddox :P

I think Cutlerfan also knows Jay personally.

strafen
01-22-2009, 08:41 PM
I think we all are. At least those of us whose Adopt-a-Bronco isn't Tommy Maddox :PHaha!! I wanted to adopt the biggest Broncos bust I could think of. So it was a toss up between Maddox and Marcus Nash, so Maddox won...
I know there was an even bigger 1st round bust in Broncos history. I believe he came out of Boston College or Penn State, I can't remember which, or his name. He was a defensive player IIRC

cutlerfan
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I think Cutlerfan also knows Jay personally.

I do know Jay but I am not going down this road again.

People trip out because I have known him since he was a freshman here at Vandy. I know a lot of Vandy players.

The reason I always post positive stuff about Jay is because some people here just dog him and it pisses me off because he is really a cool guy and does not deserve that crap.

That's all.

BigPlayShay
01-22-2009, 08:53 PM

People trip out because I have known him since he was a freshman here at Vandy. I know a lot of Vandy players.

The reason I always post positive stuff about Jay is because some people here just dog him and it pisses me off because he is really a cool guy and does not deserve that crap.

That's all.

Thanks for your posts dude.

theAPAOps5
01-22-2009, 08:54 PM

That's all.

Its all good don't worry about it. Although I think you should seriously send Jay a bill for your PR work. You are a machine when it comes to positive press for Cutler! :thumbs:

TheDave
01-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm glad to see he is working out prior to the probowl...

I still would like to hear from him regarding our new coach... Then again, maybe i'm making too big a deal out of that.

Br0nc0Buster
01-22-2009, 08:58 PM

That's all.

I like Jay as do most Bronco fans.
I am not a fan of some of his moping, but I have not seen that recently.
But he has a great work ethic and he is a good influence for his teammates.
Especially Brandon "the beast" Marshall

Ziggy
01-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Haha!! I wanted to adopt the biggest Broncos bust I could think of. So it was a toss up between Maddox and Marcus Nash, so Maddox won...
I know there was an even bigger 1st round bust in Broncos history. I believe he came out of Boston College or Penn State, I can't remember which, or his name. He was a defensive player IIRC

The Broncos biggest defensive bust was NT Ted Gregory out of Syracuse. He was a first round pick that they traded even before the season started for another teams first round bust from the year before.

Tombstone RJ
01-22-2009, 09:05 PM
its always good to hear about the best qb in the nfl...

Tombstone RJ
01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
The Broncos biggest defensive bust was NT Ted Gregory out of Syracuse. He was a first round pick that they traded even before the season started for another teams first round bust from the year before.

he was like 5'9" or something...

theAPAOps5
01-22-2009, 09:11 PM
No way Paul Toviessi was the biggest bust. He was listed as undrafted on some teams draft boards.

strafen
01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
That's very correct. In fact, that's the name I was looking for; Ted Gregory! ROFL!

Tombstone RJ
01-22-2009, 09:26 PM
No way Paul Toviessi was the biggest bust. He was listed as undrafted on some teams draft boards.

I still remember that day... its like a fungus, this memory. I try to kill it with antiseptics, alcohol, various forms of drugs, some legal, some not.

Nothing works.

ludo21
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
I bet Cutler wants Bennett to be drafted by Denver.

broncosteven
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM

He was 2nd round bust not a 1st.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I still remember that day... its like a fungus, this memory. I try to kill it with antiseptics, alcohol, various forms of drugs, some legal, some not.

Nothing works.
Yup, I remember right where I was for that draft .... both the Middlebrooks and Toviessi picks were damaged goods. Although I guess we still have Engleberger who we got in the Middlebrooks trade.

rovolution
01-22-2009, 09:40 PM

wasnt that the year everyone thought we were gonna take Thurman Thomas?

Thurman and John would have been great together.

broncosteven
01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Yup, I remember right where I was for that draft .... both the Middlebrooks and Toviessi picks were damaged goods. Although I guess we still have Engleberger who we got in the Middlebrooks trade.

Which trade?

Victor
01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
I've lived in Chicago since July, and Bennett laid a big egg this year. On a team full of crappy, underachieving wide receivers he didn't even see the field. The locals are screaming for his head.

Florida_Bronco
01-22-2009, 09:45 PM

That's all.

Hey it's cool with me, I appreciate the perspective from someone who actually knows him outside of football.

Keep up the good work.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Which trade?

Middlebrooks for Engleberger straight up ... might've been Nolan's first season there. A year later they waived Willie mid-season, and Mike brought him back to Denver as a nickel corner.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I sometimes argue Dan Williams might've been the biggest bust. As the #3 overall pick, he's the highest we ever drafted (post merger). He never came anywhere near dominating, was barely even a starter even for about three years, then went to KC - maybe as a free agent.

I just think the highest draft pick in post-merger franchise history should be a LOT better than 3 or 4 years of barely cracking the starting lineup, and then hightailing it to the chefs ....

theAPAOps5
01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
He was 2nd round bust not a 1st.

Oh thats right he was a second rounder. But still thats a huge bust on a guy who never played a down of regular season football.

SportinOne
01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
This is cool, but i would be much more excited to hear that Jay, Tony, and Brandon were working out together.. or even just Jay and Brandon. They need to get on the same page for next season.

rovolution
01-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I sometimes argue Dan Williams might've been the biggest bust. As the #3 overall pick, he's the highest we ever drafted (post merger). He never came anywhere near dominating, was barely even a starter even for about three years, then went to KC - maybe as a free agent.

I just think the highest draft pick in post-merger franchise history should be a LOT better than 3 or 4 years of barely cracking the starting lineup, and then hightailing it to the chefs ....

if memory serves me correctly, Dan had a pretty good season for the Chorfs the season after he left Denver. 10 sacks as a 3-4 DE.

Los Broncos
01-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Good to see he isn't just sitting around, always trying to get better is good.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2009, 11:28 PM
I like Jay as do most Bronco fans.
I am not a fan of some of his moping, but I have not seen that recently.
But he has a great work ethic and he is a good influence for his teammates.
Especially Brandon "the beast" Marshall

i don't think his moping has to do with being whiny like a lot of people do. i think it is just it starts to strain on him when the strain of carrying the entire team begins to get rough. most of the time he became mopey in games was after the defense screwed him.

i say get him some help in the running game, and even a mediocre defense and mopey Jay becomes a thing of the past.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2009, 11:30 PM
This is cool, but i would be much more excited to hear that Jay, Tony, and Brandon were working out together.. or even just Jay and Brandon. They need to get on the same page for next season.

BMarsh said Jay, Eddie, Scheff and Marshall would all be working out together this offseason at some point

Blart
01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
I appreciate your posts, and if people saying bad stuff about Jay makes you keep posting, I appreciate them as well.

SouthStndJunkie
01-22-2009, 11:59 PM

Dan Williams was the #11 overall pick in 1993.

telluride
01-23-2009, 12:10 AM
We are all Cutlerfan.

SouthStndJunkie
01-23-2009, 12:11 AM
I bet Cutler wants Bennett to be drafted by Denver.

Earl Bennett was drafted last year by the Bears in the 3rd round.

BroncoBuff
01-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Dan Williams was the #11 overall pick in 1993.
Yeah .... huh. Wonder where I confused that. We traded for Zimmerman maybe two months after that, I remember that, anyway. Okay:
#4 overall 1991 - Mike Croel (T - highest pick ever)
#4 overall 1983 - Chris Hinton (T - highest pick ever)
#5 overall 1972 - Riley Odoms
#6 overall 1967 - Floyd Little (AFL Draft)
#9 overall 1973 - Otis Armstrong

Those are the only Top 10 picks WE HAVE EVER HAD ... in 49 years!

Next highest:

#11 overall - Bobby Anderson 1970, Dan Williams 1993, Jay Cutler 2006
#12 overall - Marv Montgomery 1971, Ryan Clady 2008, ?? ?? 2009

BroncoMan4ever
01-23-2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah .... huh. Wonder where I confused that. We traded for Zimmerman maybe two months after that, I remember that, anyway. Okay:
#4 overall 1991 - Mike Croel (T - highest pick ever)
#4 overall 1983 - Chris Hinton (T - highest pick ever)
#5 overall 1972 - Riley Odoms
#6 overall 1967 - Floyd Little (AFL Draft)
#9 overall 1973 - Otis Armstrong

Those are the only Top 10 picks WE HAVE EVER HAD ... in 49 years!

Next highest:

#11 overall - Bobby Anderson 1970, Dan Williams 1993, Jay Cutler 2006
#12 overall - Marv Montgomery 1971, Ryan Clady 2008, ?? ?? 2009

should be noted that pick was due to trades and not record from the previous season.

TonyR
01-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh thats right he was a second rounder. But still thats a huge bust on a guy who never played a down of regular season football.

Terry Pierce was another egregiously bad 2nd round pick.

Here's the whole sordid history for anyone who's a glutton for punishment.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1400&type=team