PDA

View Full Version : Nose Tackle

Premier-Ace55
01-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Is anybody worried that if me try to make a switch to a 3-4 we won't find a quality nose tackle either in the draft or free agency. I know that everybody is saying BJ Rajii but what if green bay picks him up.

BroncoFiend
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh boy, you're in for it.

strafen
01-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Alabama or Penn State got to have a good nose tackle. Not sure if they have any seniors, but those will be the schools I'll be looking at for some quality defense linemen, or nose guard...

broncosteven
01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Ahhhhh....

Yep

watermock
01-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Mt. Cody in 2010

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
Cody has been an absolute monster this season for the surprising Crimson Tide, who are 7-0 at the moment and ranked No. 2 in the nation. The star defensive lineman is already known in Tuscaloosa as "Mount" Cody. Any why not? He stands at 6'5'' and 370 pounds, so of course he is a huge space eater in the middle of the defensive line. Cody is only in his first year at Alabama, having played in 2007 at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he recorded 31 tackles and 3.5 sacks to help his team post an 11-0 regular season record. He does not, therefore, have a ton of experience and a recent injury will hinder progress in that department. Cody is out with a sprained MCL and will miss at least two games, possibly more (in which case the Tide's clash with LSU could be in jeopardy for the big man). That's a minor drawback to his NFL stock, and 5.5 speed in the 40-yard-dash could be another deterrent. Then again, that can only be expected for a player of his size; and in fairness to Cody, he is actually quite agile and his lateral movement makes him a beast against the run. He has first-round potential for the 2009 draft, but one more season in Tuscaloosa--especially if this injury costs him precious time--could be a good idea.

Last Updated Oct-23-2008 by Ricky Dimon

Ziggy
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Brace would be a viable option in round 2. If the Broncos run a 3-4 D and just want a nose tackle to take up space and stop the run, Brace will do and has good value with our second pick in the draft.

elsid13
01-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Is anybody worried that if me try to make a switch to a 3-4 we won't find a quality nose tackle either in the draft or free agency. I know that everybody is saying BJ Rajii but what if green bay picks him up.

If that happen you shift to Rajii's team mate at BC Ron Brace. Or Denver goes the FA route - Watson (AR), Fields (SF) or something fattie

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I prefer Raji, but like Ziggy said, there's also Ron Brace ... oddly enough he's Raji's teammate at Boston College (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76502).

He's a 2nd or 3rd round guy, so we could use the #12 pick on a LB.

Here's the Brace capsule, which long story-short ends "Two-gapper with the potential to be a top 3-4 nose tackle."

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9277/73046645mz8.jpg

And I for one really wanna see what our own Carlton Powell can do in the 3-4. I realize that at 305 pounds he's small for a classic 2-gap NT, but he's just a kid - he could pack on 20+ pounds in the next couple years. The book on Powell in the draft last year made him sound like a NT ... both Powell individually and Va Tech as a team led the nation in rush avg against, so he rag-dolled many an ACC guard while there. I dunno how they figure that stat for an individual player, but it's impressive any way you slice it.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Mt. Cody in 2010

person
Cody has been an absolute monster this season for the surprising Crimson Tide, who are 7-0 at the moment and ranked No. 2 in the nation. The star defensive lineman is already known in Tuscaloosa as "Mount" Cody. Any why not? He stands at 6'5'' and 370 pounds, so of course he is a huge space eater in the middle of the defensive line. Cody is only in his first year at Alabama, having played in 2007 at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he recorded 31 tackles and 3.5 sacks to help his team post an 11-0 regular season record. He does not, therefore, have a ton of experience and a recent injury will hinder progress in that department. Cody is out with a sprained MCL and will miss at least two games, possibly more (in which case the Tide's clash with LSU could be in jeopardy for the big man). That's a minor drawback to his NFL stock, and 5.5 speed in the 40-yard-dash could be another deterrent. Then again, that can only be expected for a player of his size; and in fairness to Cody, he is actually quite agile and his lateral movement makes him a beast against the run. He has first-round potential for the 2009 draft, but one more season in Tuscaloosa--especially if this injury costs him precious time--could be a good idea.

so with that at best the soonest we field a good 3-4 defense will be in 2012

Br0nc0Buster
01-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I prefer Raji, but like Ziggy said, there's also Ron Brace ... oddly enough he's Raji's teammate at Boston College (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76502).

Here's the Brace capsule, which long story-short ends "Two-gapper with the potential to be a top 3-4 nose tackle."

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9277/73046645mz8.jpg

And I for one really wanna see what our own Carlton Powell can do in the 3-4. I realize that at 305 pounds he's small for a classic 2-gap NT, but he's just a kid - he could pack on 20+ pounds in the next couple years. The book on Powell in the draft last year made him sound like a NT ... both Powell individually and Va Tech as a team led the nation in rush avg against, so he rag-dolled many an ACC guard while there. I dunno how they figure that stat for an individual player, but it's impressive any way you slice it.

What about at an end spot?
I hear Nolan likes to rush the passer with his backers, and uses his linemen for 2 gap responsibilities.
Sounds like that is right up Powell's alley...

lex
01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
What about at an end spot?
I hear Nolan likes to rush the passer with his backers, and uses his linemen for 2 gap responsibilities.
Sounds like that is right up Powell's alley...

Powell was a low round pick and will be playing his rookie season two years removed from the last year he played football. Im not saying he's going to fail or even that he wont be great but that its a little foolish for someone in that situation to pull through for you.

fdf
01-22-2009, 10:13 PM

Why limit your worries about the DL to just that. I'm worried about every single aspect of the DL regardless what defensive alignment we adopt.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Powell was a low round pick and will be playing his rookie season two years removed from the last year he played football. Im not saying he's going to fail or even that he wont be great but that its a little foolish for someone in that situation to pull through for you.

Nobody's talking about starting the man in a new 3-4 alignment ....

Besides, Peyton Hillis and Josh Barrett were lower picks, and WW wasn't even drafted. So there. ;D

lex
01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Nobody's talking about starting the man in a new 3-4 alignment ....

Besides, Peyton Hillis and Josh Barrett were lower picks, and WW wasn't even drafted. So there. ;D

Trust me. Id like to see Powell do well.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Trust me. Id like to see Powell do well.

Are you following me around this site? ::)

lex
01-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Are you following me around this site? ::)

LOL...No...What?

Dedhed
01-23-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm not as high on Raji as some, particularly if we're planning on moving to the 3-4. Raji is more of a penetrating/attacking DT than he is a player who can stand at the point and hold a double team. I think he would be frustrated and not as effective as a true NT.

I also would rather see us take an LB in the 1st because we'll see a more immediate impact from an LB than we will a DT, and lord knows this defense needs immediate impact. I also think that Brace may be a better fit as a true NT at the next level.

I would look for a Rey Maualuga/Ron Brace combo with the first two picks.

Premier-Ace55
01-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Why limit your worries about the DL to just that. I'm worried about every single aspect of the DL regardless what defensive alignment we adopt.

I am as well however we need to first know what we are running that's some of the source of our problems changing up our scheme every year. Next we need personell that can run in that scheme. All I'm saying is if we run a 3-4 we have to have stout NT first and foremost then we need some stout physical line backers. The 5 technique ends i'm not as concerned about.

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2009, 07:31 AM
so with that at best the soonest we field a good 3-4 defense will be in 2012

Huh? Why do you chalk up the fact that it would take 4 drafts and FA cycles, and 3 seasons for Cody individually to produce a solid 3-4 defense?

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm not as high on Raji as some, particularly if we're planning on moving to the 3-4. Raji is more of a penetrating/attacking DT than he is a player who can stand at the point and hold a double team. I think he would be frustrated and not as effective as a true NT.

In Raji's defense, he did face a significant number of double teams this season. He was the one guy opposing offensive coordinators were game-planning against and designing protection schemes against and he was still making plays in the backfield. A nose tackle that can make plays in the backfield is just as valuable, if not moreso, than a guy that simply keeps the linebackers clean.

Broncos_OTM
01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
You can find decent NT depth later in the draft. Its usually you see the UT that are taken high.. IE Ngata

alkemical
01-23-2009, 07:39 AM
a NT is going to need developed. Taking one in the 1st, unless he's a blue chip... IMO isn't worth it.

Drek
01-23-2009, 07:45 AM
You can find decent NT depth later in the draft. Its usually you see the UT that are taken high.. IE Ngata

Ngata plays nose for the Ravens in their 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.

Its just that Ngata can be used to stuff the center gaps like an NT when needed and switch to rushing the passer the next down in a 4-3 front without missing a beat.

Raji is that kind of guy, but we'd be stupid to pay full price if we're only going to use half the skill set.

socalorado
01-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Ngata plays nose for the Ravens in their 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.

Its just that Ngata can be used to stuff the center gaps like an NT when needed and switch to rushing the passer the next down in a 4-3 front without missing a beat.

Raji is that kind of guy, but we'd be stupid to pay full price if we're only going to use half the skill set.

Brace in the 2nd
Dorrell Scott in the 3rd
Are a couple options

Kaylore
01-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Mt. Cody in 2010

person

I believe it was Cody who holds the record for largest baby ever born in Alabama; He was 15 pounds. His doctor calls his mother every year on his birthday to check up on him and tell her she still holds the record.

Archer81
01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
100 Post rule...I wish I had a taser right now...

Anyways, dont worry about who may or may not be available. We'll see what happens when the time comes.

:Broncos:

~Crash~
01-23-2009, 09:23 AM

You know I am not as worried about NT now that you said he is 305 he can add 10 pounds easy this off season . :strong:

~Crash~
01-23-2009, 09:30 AM

I also would rather see us take an LB in the 1st because we'll see a more immediate impact from an LB than we will a DT, and lord knows this defense needs immediate impact. I also think that Brace may be a better fit as a true NT at the next level.

I would look for a Rey Maualuga/Ron Brace combo with the first two picks.

spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am tryed of seeing people talk about a DL making the difference . when the right MLB'er will male an instant difference . NT can be found even lower rounds and FA .

socalorado
01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am tryed of seeing people talk about a DL making the difference . when the right MLB'er will male an instant difference . NT can be found even lower rounds and FA .

DT/NT Terrance Taylor/Michigan
6'0" 320 lbs
Terrance Taylor is an intriguing pick because hes 6' 320. Hes quite a load though to deal with as hes stronger than a bull. He has the size to play in 3-4 or 4-3. Hes a former powerlifting champion and undefeated state wrestling champ.
There are other options in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Ray Lewis and Al Wilson have both shown that great MLBers can be neutered if the right guys are not in front of them.

~Crash~
01-23-2009, 09:55 AM
6'0" 320 lbs
Terrance Taylor is an intriguing pick because hes 6' 320. Hes quite a load though to deal with as hes stronger than a bull. He has the size to play in 3-4 or 4-3. Hes a former powerlifting champion and undefeated state wrestling champ.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
6'0" 320 lbs

This can be said about any position in the draft. Fear brings out statements like this. Fear of a first round bust (which can happen at any position). That's no way to go into a draft.

~Crash~
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Ray Lewis and Al Wilson have both shown that great MLBers can be neutered if the right guys are not in front of them.

one problem Ray Lewis and Al Wilson are not on this team . lets get Rey M and then worry about the lard if it is not up to NFL lardness :rofl:

socalorado
01-23-2009, 10:09 AM
This can be said about any position in the draft. Fear brings out statements like this. Fear of a first round bust (which can happen at any position). That's no way to go into a draft.

This is not fear, this is information.
If anything YOUR the one who sounds fearful and has an inferiority complex about a specific position and player.
Your posts appear nervous and insecure.
I dont care if DEN takes Raji, if hes there. I really dont think he will be though. I think he goes top 10. I think hes a really good player have stated so many times here. I also think RBrace is a really good player too, but apparently to make a statemant like this is just to fearful for some.Hilarious!

azbroncfan
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
We just need a talented big fat slob to tie up the center of the Defense.

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2009, 10:17 AM
This is not fear, this is information.
If anything YOUR the one who sounds fearful and has an inferiority complex about a specific position and player.
Your posts appear nervous and insecure.

The only thing I'm fearful of is having to watch a repeat of the 2008 Denver Broncos defense in 2009. I'm not going to pretend like some here do that I've watched endless tape on some of these guys. I haven't watched enough of any particular team outside of BC to be "fearful" of them selecting any one player or team.....so I think you are off in your assessment of me.

socalorado
01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
The only thing I'm fearful of is having to watch a repeat of the 2008 Denver Broncos defense in 2009. I'm not going to pretend like some here do that I've watched endless tape on some of these guys. I haven't watched enough of any particular team outside of BC to be "fearful" of them selecting any one player or team.....so I think you are off in your assessment of me.

I agree. Now that is something to be fearful of!!!! QFT!!!!
But there are options out there.
I really think all of this is just smack until FA starts.
Then we will know just what DEN needs really are. Theres a good
chance that DEN goes after BScott in FA, and with the current crop of solid LBs already in DEN, that position might be relegated to the 3rd or even 4th round.
I still think Raji is long gone by #12 though. Dorrell Scott of Clemson is another HUGE space eater that could come in and play NT, and do a great job. Options. Everyone is just throwing out options.