PDA

View Full Version : Maualuga asserting himself at Senior Bowl practices.

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 12:01 PM
He started out slow on first day but they say Wednesday he really started to impress the scouts and erase doubts about him slipping far in draft. Also some other tidbits for you later in article.

Enjoy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/sportsline/main11289252.shtml

Share this page.

MOBILE, Ala. -- With a dearth of talent at the skill positions at the Senior Bowl this week, scouts continue to focus instead on this year's rare talent along the lines, at linebacker and with an underrated secondary. And I wasn't disappointed after breaking down the linebackers and defensive backs during Wednesday's practices.

Among the back seven defenders, the clear star Wednesday was Southern California inside linebacker Rey Maualuga. Scouts know he has a tendency to freelance, and one of his areas of concern -- wrapping up rather than just hitting a ballcarrier -- wasn't tested with the Jacksonville coaches wanting players to stay on their feet. But his burst to and through holes as a run stuffer and surprising agility in space stood out. Where he might have emerged as this game's highest-rated prospect, however, was his ability as a pass rusher.

Rey Maualuga has surprised with his agility in space. (Getty Images)
Rey Maualuga has surprised with his agility in space. (Getty Images)
Maualuga was rarely asked to blitz for the Trojans and finished last season with no sacks, so this was an area scouts wanted to see Maualuga work on. Showing speed, agility to redirect and the hand technique of veteran pass rushers, Maualuga was a one man wrecking crew during drills Wednesday morning.

After looking fluid in drills earlier in the week, Trojans teammate Brian Cushing's physicality in scrimmages stood out Wednesday as well. Conversations with scouts in the stands verified that Cushing, an outside linebacker, could be moving into the top 15 with his play in Mobile.

Yet another Trojan, Clay Mathews, and Ohio State's Marcus Freeman were often overlooked due to their more established teammates, but both have enjoyed strong weeks. Mathews is more fluid in space than expected after spending his senior season primarily rushing the passer. Freeman, finally over the ankle injury that slowed him throughout 2008, has been fluid and aggressive as well.

Coming from Virginia, one of the few collegiate teams that runs the 3-4 defense, Clint Sintim has struggled a bit in acclimating to the traditional 4-3 scheme the Cincinnati coaching staff employs. He's a bit stiff in space, struggling at times changing directions laterally in coverage or when breaking down to make the tackle. But the burst upfield, hand technique as a pass-rusher and explosive closing speed are all there for him to rank as one of the top 3-4 rush linebackers in the draft.

Another linebacker capable of rushing from the outside -- California's Zach Follett -- was rarely used in that capacity Wednesday. The Bengals staff moved Follett to inside linebacker throughout the practice, an area where his greatest asset -- his burst upfield -- is a bit hidden. Follett struggled getting off blocks, but showed better instincts than expected, blowing up a screen during the scrimmage and attacking holes in the running game. He belongs on the outside, but the versatility to slide inside in a pinch will help his draft stock.

Former Oklahoma safety Nic Harris has struggled with the acclimation to linebacker. He is naturally fluid in space for the position, but struggles disengaging from blocks and has a tendency to get lost amid the trash inside.

While this year's group of senior linebackers ranks among the stronger crops in recent memory, the best position from top to bottom this week just might be at safety.

The race to be the first safety selected in 2009 could come down to workouts, and depending on which scout you talk to, the headliner at the is either Western Michigan's Louis Delmas or Oregon's Patrick Chung -- both of whom were on display in Wednesday morning's North practice.

Delmas has good instincts for the position, is a natural playmaker and flies around the field with reckless abandon. Scouts have some concerns about his ability to flip his hips in coverage, however. Chung's speed, size and instincts make him the most versatile safety in the draft, which has him flying up draft boards.

With the Senior Bowl coaches mandating that only hitting, not tackling, is allowed in practice, neither has been able to show off what they do best -- tackle in space. Despite this restriction, their athleticism shows up, as opposed to that of two other highly-touted safeties.

Missouri's William Moore wasn't the impact player as a senior that he was in 2007, and needed a strong week in Mobile to rescue his falling stock. Unfortunately, quite the opposite has occurred as Moore's limitations continue to be exposed. He was high and stiff in his backpedal Wednesday, inconsistent in his angles to the ball and hasn't caught the ball well all week, which scouts had previously viewed as a strength. Thought of as one of the draft's top defensive prospects entering the year, Moore is in danger of falling out of the draft's first day -- and potentially further -- with his performance so far this week.

Rashad Johnson turned in an All-American season and was as instrumental in Alabama's success as any Tide player. However, his stellar instincts for the position and penchant for the big play belie his marginal speed and explosiveness. I'll never doubt a player with his track record of making plays, but he's smaller and slower than the other safeties here and is viewed by scouts as a bit of a product of Nick Saban's system.

The poor quarterback play has made grading cornerbacks tougher than most years. What has been obvious throughout the week, however, is Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith's willingness to gamble -- often resulting in big plays in his favor. Smith has excellent foot quickness and balance. In fact, he frequently has run better routes than the receivers he was covering this week. He intercepted his third pass in as many practices Wednesday.

Like Smith, San Jose State's Coye Francies, an Oregon State transfer, and his former teammate with the Beavers, Keenan Lewis, have the change of direction and speed to run with receivers. Both are physical in man coverage and could translate their skills well into a bump-and-run system.

Virginia Tech's Macho Harris has similar agility, but may lack their straight-line speed. He has played well here this week, but scouts are reserving judgment, as his ultimate grade will be determined by his 40-yard time. Cincinnati's DeAngelo Smith and Jackson State's Domonique Johnson have struggled a bit. Both are high cut and a bit choppy in their backpedal. They may run well in workouts, but receivers were too often able to generate separation from them on Wednesday. The North squad took a hit in the secondary with the news that Cincinnati cornerback Mike Mickens, a potential first-round pick, elected to pull out due to a sore knee. Mickens missed the final two regular-season games for the Bearcats after surgery to repair cartilage in the knee and clearly was not himself the first two days of practice. He was replaced Wednesday by former Michigan standout Morgan Trent. Trent has the athleticism to boost his stock this week, but has to answer questions about his toughness.

TonyR
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Kiper currently has him outside the top 16, FWIW...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3850049

OBF1
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
I am so torn at this point at which direction Denver should go. Do we spend a 1st round pick on a DT/NT who could take 3 years to develop....if at all, Or do we go with a kick ass LB that can start and make an impact in his rookie season?

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Kiper's not so reliable in my book .... I'll go with whatever Mayock says.

Malcontent
01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Cushing!!!!!

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I've been watching the practices on NFL network. I read that he showed up overweight but he's been destroying in practices.

Other things I noticed:

There's a lot of good 3-4 linebackers. Sintim, English and Cody Brown look pretty good for what we want to do.
Delmas and Chung seem like they're going to be good, hard hitting safeties.
The linemen don't look as good as last years' crop. The Centers especially have been underwhelming.
After a lackluster first day, Mayock called Raji out and then the next morning he was absolutely destroying.
Robert Ayers is having a really good week of practice.
Brandon Pettigrew is disgusting.
There are some decent corners in this group

I'm excited to watch the practices today. :)

Garcia Bronco
01-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Virginia Tech's Macho Harris has similar agility, but may lack their straight-line speed. He has played well here this week, but scouts are reserving judgment, as his ultimate grade will be determined by his 40-yard time

Macho can play. Some team will get a good player.

broncosteven
01-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I am so torn at this point at which direction Denver should go. Do we spend a 1st round pick on a DT/NT who could take 3 years to develop....if at all, Or do we go with a kick ass LB that can start and make an impact in his rookie season?

We need the best guy on the board at SS, MLB and now NT if we really do go 3-4.

will be interesting to see how this draft plays out.

montrose
01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Kiper's not so reliable in my book .... I'll go with whatever Mayock says.

Absolutely.

I've been watching the practices on NFL network. I read that he showed up overweight but he's been destroying in practices.

Other things I noticed:

There's a lot of good 3-4 linebackers. Sintim, English and Cody Brown look pretty good for what we want to do.
The linemen don't look as good as last years' crop. The Centers especially have been underwhelming.
After a lackluster first day, Mayock called Raji out and then the next morning he was absolutely destroying.

Is NFL Network not the greatest thing in the history of the world?

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I just don't see us drafting a corner ... Shaw, JMFW and Paymah are decent backups.

We need S, NT and LB ... in fact, we should draft three of each ;D

(That is not a joke)

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't agree with the comments on Sintim. I think he's looked good for adjusting his game.

Alex Mack has been getting owned a lot, though he plays better in-line than in drills. He's had issues with the QB. There's been a lot of fumbles in practices. Of course half the QB's are spread offense so it's understandable.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Is NFL Network not the greatest thing in the history of the world?

They used to be, but they fell off the past year or so. :(

gyldenlove
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
BJ Raji is going to fly up the boards like Ellis did last year. He has been dismantling opposition in 1 on 1 drills with speed, power and technique. I would be very surprised if he doesn't end up in the top 10.

no-pseudo-fan
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I would be soooooooooooo happy with Raji, Jennings, Matthews as our first 3 picks. I am not so sure about Rey.

broncosteven
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I just don't see us drafting a corner ... Shaw, JMFW and Paymah are decent backups.

Give me those and a Center, throw in some UDFA at RB and O line for depth and I will be happy.

Now if they draft a RB in round 1 or 2 and then proceed to get a WR I will start the 1st Fire MickyD thread.

I have faith in the G team though

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 12:34 PM
BJ Raji is going to fly up the boards like Ellis did last year. He has been dismantling opposition in 1 on 1 drills with speed, power and technique. I would be very surprised if he doesn't end up in the top 10.

Yesterday he sacked the QB buy shoving the guard into the QB so hard it knocked him down. It was on a five step drop, too. zowie!

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-22-2009, 12:35 PM

Pettigrew is Riley Odoms II.

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Maualuga is going to be a stud you will all see. He needs to be inside in a 3-4 IMO but in that role he will destroy. As a MLB in a 4-3 I think he would be decent but IMO better in a 3-4.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM

you didn't mention the best backup on the roster at that position.....Josh Bell.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Maualuga is going to be a stud you will all see. He needs to be inside in a 3-4 IMO but in that role he will destroy. As a MLB in a 4-3 I think he would be decent but IMO better in a 3-4.

i agree, before the deadline for underclassmen to declare i was on the Spikes bandwagoin big time thinking he was going to be the best 4-3 MLB in this draft, but as soon as we hired Nolan and it seemed more likely that we would be 3-4 i now want Rey because he will be a better 3-4 MLB.

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Pettigrew is Riley Odoms II.

I think he'll be more prolific than that.

FantomForce
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Draft this man!

vancejohnson82
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
gotta say that coming out of hte season (college) I really wanted to get Maluanga....

but Raji has really really impressed me of late from watching his highlights and these practices

SoDak Bronco
01-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Why don't people have faith in Korey Litchinwhatever??

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
i agree, before the deadline for underclassmen to declare i was on the Spikes bandwagoin big time thinking he was going to be the best 4-3 MLB in this draft, but as soon as we hired Nolan and it seemed more likely that we would be 3-4 i now want Rey because he will be a better 3-4 MLB.

Spikes is like what 240? yeah a little small for a 3-4. I think Spikes could maybe even play outside in a 4-3. In a 3-4 he would have to be paired with a large run stuffing partner much like they do in Baltimore with Scott and Lewis.

gyldenlove
Why don't people have faith in Korey Litchinwhatever??

In what sense?

Rocky Mountain Stampede
I think he'll be more prolific than that.

Odoms is a HOF caliber tight end in my book. Pettigrew is just a bigger, badder, beastlier verison of Odoms, 30 years later.

SouthStndJunkie
01-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Missouri's William Moore wasn't the impact player as a senior that he was in 2007, and needed a strong week in Mobile to rescue his falling stock. Unfortunately, quite the opposite has occurred as Moore's limitations continue to be exposed. He was high and stiff in his backpedal Wednesday, inconsistent in his angles to the ball and hasn't caught the ball well all week, which scouts had previously viewed as a strength. Thought of as one of the draft's top defensive prospects entering the year, Moore is in danger of falling out of the draft's first day -- and potentially further -- with his performance so far this week.

This is surprising news....although he did have a below average senior year.

I wonder how far his stock falls?

montrose
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
They used to be, but they fell off the past year or so. :(

That's true, so now they're only 99 steps in front of ESPN - lol.

Inkana7
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
He'd be my next pick if Raji isn't there.

mopatt24
01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I would love to take Raji in the first, but I hope we go maualuga in the first and Brace in the second. IMO, I think Brace could have just as much impact as Raji at the pro level in the 3-4.

With the new D-line coach, I think Raji or Brace is a no miss

Hercules Rockefeller
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
We need the best guy on the board at SS, MLB and now NT if we really do go 3-4.

It doesn't matter who they have in the secondary if the Front 7 sucks. Safety would be a complete waste of a pick in the 1st round unless they bring in a few guys up front through FA.

Drek
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm iffy on Maualuga, but if we pick him it'll be because Nolan is sold on him and thats pretty hard to argue with. Nolan has been making great 3-4 LBs his entire career.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm iffy on Maualuga, but if we pick him it'll be because Nolan is sold on him and thats pretty hard to argue with. Nolan has been making great 3-4 LBs his entire career.

Maybe REY REY can fool a team into taking him real high,
allowing Curry to fall to..............oh, thats a f'n pipe dream, never mind.

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Maybe REY REY can fool a team into taking him real high,
allowing Curry to fall to..............oh, thats a f'n pipe dream, never mind.

Curry is for sure top 5. Broncos want him they would have to package there first and 2nd round pick and they could maybe get there.

The trade chart is iffy nowdays so its hard to know.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Curry is for sure top 5. Broncos want him they would have to package there first and 2nd round pick and they could maybe get there.

The trade chart is iffy nowdays so its hard to know.

I know man. Kinda a inside joke between me a drek. Theres no way in hell Curry falls.

SoDak Bronco
01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Give me those and a Center, throw in some UDFA at RB and O line for depth and I will be happy.

Now if they draft a RB in round 1 or 2 and then proceed to get a WR I will start the 1st Fire MickyD thread.

I have faith in the G team though

Korey Litchinwhatever is going to be the center. He was one of the best centers coming out of bowling green last year. He didn't play because of Weigman, but he did get in on the goal-line sets which means he is pretty athletic and the coaches liked what they saw.

SoDak Bronco
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
In what sense?

See the above post.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 01:16 PM
He'd be my next pick if Raji isn't there.

Let's hope Raji will be there.

Just look what a nice young man he is ...
http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/449bb79ad5_bc08022008.jpg

Hercules Rockefeller
01-22-2009, 01:19 PM

**** nice young men, they need to draft some guys on defense that play with an edge.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Odoms is a HOF caliber tight end in my book. Pettigrew is just a bigger, badder, beastlier verison of Odoms, 30 years later.

I'm as big a Riley Odoms fan as there is, along with Fletcher he's the most underrated Bronco of all time. But I think Dan Graham is already a latter-day Riley Odoms - a savage blocker, blocks like an OT - and is reliable over the middle getting first downs and in the red zone.

Wish we threw a bit more to Graham - it would take some of the heat off Marshall/Royal.

SBboundBroncos
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM

Other things I noticed:

i really like ayers, not sure if its cuz i go to UT (GO VOLS)

but i think he could make a good 5th round pick on a 3-4 DE just because the vols were so bad but he is huge 6-3 270

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 01:22 PM
**** nice young men, they need to draft some guys on defense that play with an edge.

I'm just fascinated with that photo for some reason :~ohyah!:

But contrary to what I said, there were questions about whether he's a good citizen. Somebody around here that's on top of things said the concerns in that area were mostly unfounded though. Might've been you.

no-pseudo-fan
01-22-2009, 01:22 PM

"What you got on my 40 homey?"

Hercules Rockefeller
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
But contrary to what I said, there were questions about whether he's a good citizen. Somebody around here that's on top of things said the concerns in that area were mostly unfounded though. Might've been you.

Wasn't me, but I've heard the same.

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I know man. Kinda a inside joke between me a drek. Theres no way in hell Curry falls.

I wanted Broncos to move up for Urlacher. I wouldnt mind a move up for Curry.
Slim chance they do move up but we do have 10 picks. We could in theory give up our 2nd round pick and still bring in a player like Curry and 8 others rounds 3rd on.

Chances are teams around 5-6 where we could prob get would only trade down if players like Curry aren't there and they don't need a QB.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I wanted Broncos to move up for Urlacher. I wouldnt mind a move up for Curry.
Slim chance they do move up but we do have 10 picks. We could in theory give up our 2nd round pick and still bring in a player like Curry and 8 others rounds 3rd on.

Chances are teams around 5-6 where we could prob get would only trade down if players like Curry aren't there and they don't need a QB.

Its a interesting idea. Thats alot of players in between say#5, and the third round though. I think this will be an active FA for DEN.

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Its a interesting idea. Thats alot of players in between say#5, and the third round though. I think this will be an active FA for DEN.

It's hard to know because with Shannahan gone Goodman will be free to maybe do some things Shanny would have not liked. IR trading up or down etc. McDaniels may not be anything like Pats and also have ideas of his own.

It will be fun to watch draft. Funny thing is when Broncos were really good I didn't even follow the thing that much.

It really sucks being crappy and having to care about the friggin rookies before Superbowl even played.

DenverBrit
01-22-2009, 02:06 PM

His versatility....3-4 or 4-3...and Senior Bowl performance has him shooting up in the draft. He should be top 10.
But he's the type of player a defense can be built around, so maybe the Broncos trade up for him?

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 02:09 PM
His versatility....3-4 or 4-3...and Senior Bowl performance has him shooting up in the draft. He should be top 10.
But he's the type of player a defense can be built around, so maybe the Broncos trade up for him?

I don't think we should trade up for anyone unless it's an amazing deal. We should be looking at trading back. We need a lot of new pieces.

no-pseudo-fan
01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Trading back is only worth while if you are on the clock. You have to have a gameplan!! We had one last year, and look what we got. We will not be a fly by the seat of your pants in drafting. I think we will not reach, but have a plan and trust in that plan.

bpc
01-22-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm still not pro-Maualuga. He has some great attributes, #1 being explosive upon contact but I have a lot of issues with his game. Just to reel them off, he plays too high, can't get off blocks, struggles using his hands, isn't great in coverage and doesn't have great instincts.

I think its easy to watch the guy in practice in predictable situations and say he's doing well but overall he's been a mixed bag.

If you can put Maualuga in a funnel type defense where everything is being directed at him and makes his reads very simple, he'll do fine. If you put him in a defense and expect him to be the leader and the do it all guy, good luck. I don't think he's going to succeed.

love Raji but it's plain and simple what the guy will be spectacular at... he needs to be in an under or shade technique on the guard or center. His best position is in the cocked-shade technique that Michael Dean Perry used to use, angled right at the center. His speed and power are such a mismatch there. He's basically unblockable at that spot, at least during the senior bowl. You put him in a head up shade technique and you totally negate his angles, speed, and quickness. It would just be a waste for me. I would rather get a guy like Mitch King, pack some weight on him and let him take on blockers for 3rd or 4th rounder.

My first round consists of two guys. IF McDaniels is missing the dynamic style WR he had in NE with Randy Moss and thats what makes the offense go, Maclin is one guy I would love at 12. He could be the last ingredient to a spectacular offense. I feel good that Marshall can work the middle routes/GL, and Royal can work the slot like Wes Welker did for the Patriots.

I don't see HB as a position of need so much anymore. NE has thrown a ton of balls to HB's over the years and successfully used the RBBC. I think with McDaniel at the helm, Hillis' stock is higher than ever. He'll be a natural there.

The only other guy I want at 12 is Everette Brown. Plain and simple the guy is a difference maker. He has a rare first step and definitely has the quick twitch fibers which would make him a difference maker at OLB on the next level.

Pass on option A or B and go with C, trade down and stock up the front 7.

Tombstone RJ
01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I seriously doubt Raji will be around at 12, neither will Rey, but a damn good safety will be there...

socalorado
01-22-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm still not pro-Maualuga. He has some great attributes, #1 being explosive upon contact but I have a lot of issues with his game. Just to reel them off, he plays too high, can't get off blocks, struggles using his hands, isn't great in coverage and doesn't have great instincts.

I think its easy to watch the guy in practice in predictable situations and say he's doing well but overall he's been a mixed bag.

If you can put Maualuga in a funnel type defense where everything is being directed at him and makes his reads very simple, he'll do fine. If you put him in a defense and expect him to be the leader and the do it all guy, good luck. I don't think he's going to succeed.

love Raji but it's plain and simple what the guy will be spectacular at... he needs to be in an under or shade technique on the guard or center. His best position is in the cocked-shade technique that Michael Dean Perry used to use, angled right at the center. His speed and power are such a mismatch there. He's basically unblockable at that spot, at least during the senior bowl. You put him in a head up shade technique and you totally negate his angles, speed, and quickness. It would just be a waste for me. I would rather get a guy like Mitch King, pack some weight on him and let him take on blockers for 3rd or 4th rounder.

My first round consists of two guys. IF McDaniels is missing the dynamic style WR he had in NE with Randy Moss and thats what makes the offense go, Maclin is one guy I would love at 12. He could be the last ingredient to a spectacular offense. I feel good that Marshall can work the middle routes/GL, and Royal can work the slot like Wes Welker did for the Patriots.

I don't see HB as a position of need so much anymore. NE has thrown a ton of balls to HB's over the years and successfully used the RBBC. I think with McDaniel at the helm, Hillis' stock is higher than ever. He'll be a natural there.

The only other guy I want at 12 is Everette Brown. Plain and simple the guy is a difference maker. He has a rare first step and definitely has the quick twitch fibers which would make him a difference maker at OLB on the next level.

Pass on option A or B and go with C, trade down and stock up the front 7.

I am not sure i understand the highlighted areas. Arent you contradicting yourself?
Also, a WR!?!? If DEN takes a WR with the wideouts that they currently have, i think there will be a meltdown of biblical proportions here.
The REV WILL kill some folks in Pennsylvania. Just sayin.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
On the flip side, Clemson RB James Davis (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24031) had a tough day. USC MLB Rey Maualuga (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24662) manhandled him in pass protection drills, and Davis didn't fare much better against the rest of the linebackers. Making matters worse, Davis is letting too many balls get into his pads and doesn't look fluid running routes. He just doesn't look as comfortable in that facet of the game as some of the other backs here.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=3843229&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3843229
I thought REY REY was bad in pass pro? Then again, maybe Davis sucks outta the backfield.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/Peria-Jerry.php) was extremely impressive once again today. He is very quick, gets off the ball well and utilized good technique. Jerry also showcased a wide array of pass rush moves. If not for B.J. Raji everyone would be talking about Jerry this week and his stock is definitely on the rise. Is the Top 20 now a possibility?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/South-121.php

socalorado
01-22-2009, 02:53 PM
• In case anybody missed Boston College DT B.J. Raji (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/BJ-Raji.php)'s dominating performance this week he offered a recap on consecutive plays. On the first he bullrushed Andy Levitre and put the guy who many feel is the best guard in this draft on his back. Then on the very next rep he used his quickness and a swim move to blow by the blocker. Talk about being able to do everything! I don't think there is any doubt that Raji is the best defensive tackle in this draft, it's now just a question of how high in the first round he goes. Top 15? Top 10???
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/North-121.php

We should just start a senior bowl thread unless theres one already

socalorado
01-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Team observations. apparently DEN is watching Loadholt and Vance Walker OK
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Observations/Wednesday.php

Inkana7
01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
On the flip side, Clemson RB James Davis (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24031) had a tough day. USC MLB Rey Maualuga (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24662) manhandled him in pass protection drills, and Davis didn't fare much better against the rest of the linebackers. Making matters worse, Davis is letting too many balls get into his pads and doesn't look fluid running routes. He just doesn't look as comfortable in that facet of the game as some of the other backs here.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=3843229&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3843229
I thought REY REY was bad in pass pro? Then again, maybe Davis sucks outta the backfield.

Yeah, struggled in pass protection means he was getting killed trying to block Maualuga, not catching passes.

Dedhed
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM

That's exactly why I think Maualuga should be our 1st round target. We desperately need to change the defensive culture in Denver, and I think Rey is the type of player who would come in and start to immediately set a new tone.

I think one of the flaws of the Shanahan regime was to go after defenders with high ceilings over the immediate impact guy with, perhaps, less potential. I think Maualuga, more than any defender in this draft, can make an impact early in his rookie year. I also think he has great long term potential, and can fit as a true MLB in a 4-3 or as an ILB in the 3-4.

I don't think there's a DT, DE, or S who would have a greater impact for us in his first year, and I think Maualuga is the perfect player to get the ball rolling in the right direction for this defense.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
I just don't see us drafting a corner ... Shaw, JMFW and Paymah are decent backups.you didn't mention the best backup on the roster at that position.....Josh Bell.

Oh yes ... I meant Bell, not Shaw.

bronco militia
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Team observations. apparently DEN is watching Loadholt and Vance Walker OK
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Observations/Wednesday.php

Loadholt OT

why?

Walker is DT

Tombstone RJ
01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
That's exactly why I think Maualuga should be our 1st round target. We desperately need to change the defensive culture in Denver, and I think Rey is the type of player who would come in and start to immediately set a new tone.

I think one of the flaws of the Shanahan regime was to go after defenders with high ceilings over the immediate impact guy with, perhaps, less potential. I think Maualuga, more than any defender in this draft, can make an impact early in his rookie year. I also think he has great long term potential, and can fit as a true MLB in a 4-3 or as an ILB in the 3-4.

I don't think there's a DT, DE, or S who would have a greater impact for us in his first year, and I think Maualuga is the perfect player to get the ball rolling in the right direction for this defense.

He's a pipe dream, he won't be around at 12.

SBboundBroncos
01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I seriously doubt Raji will be around at 12, neither will Rey, but a damn good safety will be there...

who is that

theAPAOps5
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Cecil Lammey is on the Fan right now. He says Raji has looked great in the Senior Bowl Practices. He also said Maualuga will be the next Ray Lewis. I can't wait to see what Maock says.

no-pseudo-fan
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Loadholt OT

why?

Walker is DT

2 guys we will not be drafting.

DenverBrit
01-22-2009, 03:30 PM
2 guys we will not be drafting.

Exactly!

Even if Denver was looking at a Tackle, Loadholt's performance against Texas revealed some very slow feet.
He doesn't Samba well. ;D

Rohirrim
01-22-2009, 05:12 PM
As things are lined up right now, my dream draft would be a trade back with the Lions for their 20 and 33 and take Cushing at 20, Chung (or Unger) at 33, and Clay Matthews with the 49.

27atwater
01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I thnk Wes and Barrett deserve the chance to be our Safeties. Gimme Raji at #12 or trade back for Tyson Jackson. If Larsen isn't an answer at ILB, we cen get DJ's brother or Brinkley on day 2.

Broncojef
01-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Completely agree, we need a guy to set the right attitude going forward in the middle. Raji seems intriguing and I wouldn't be against him but I'd love to see Malauga have a defense built around him.

bpc
01-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Maualuga the next Lewis? Are we serious here? Those two aren't even close to being in the same category.

As a freshman at the University of Miami, Ray Lewis was an immediate contributor and became a starter for the Hurricanes' final five games. He compiled 81 tackles, two sacks, two tackles for loss, and four pass deflections in route to being named to the freshman All-American team.
In his sophomore season, Lewis earned 1st team All-American and All-Big East Conference honors. Lewis led the Big East with 152 tackles and also contributed nine tackles for a loss, two sacks, and an interception for a Hurricanes team that would finish #6 in both the writers' and coaches' polls.[3]

Lewis' junior campaign was another successful one as he was once again named to the All-American[4] and All-Big East teams. He was also the runner up for the Butkus Award.[5] Lewis finished his junior season with 160 tackles, the 2nd highest in University of Miami team history behind only Ed Weisacosky's 164 in 1965. Lewis also totaled eight tackles for loss, two sacks, two interceptions, a forced fumble, four pass deflections and one touchdown. Against West Virginia University, Lewis contributed fifteen tackles.
Ray led the Big East in tackles his final two seasons and accumulated the 5th most in Miami history despite playing only three seasons.

Maualuga on the other hand had 73 tackles this year, 79 last season. Lewis is besting his season 2 to 1 in production. The comparison isn't even close. If you want to compare him to somebody, how about Levar Arrington? Their play is essentially the same. A downhill player who is very explosive. Production will be limited because they free lance too much.

longtimer
01-22-2009, 06:06 PM

AMEN

bpc
01-22-2009, 06:25 PM
I am not sure i understand the highlighted areas. Arent you contradicting yourself?
Also, a WR!?!? If DEN takes a WR with the wideouts that they currently have, i think there will be a meltdown of biblical proportions here.
The REV WILL kill some folks in Pennsylvania. Just sayin.

It's really pretty simple.

If you put Rey Maualuga in a practice setting with obvious plays being ran, of course he should succeed. For example, 9 on 7. He looked great doing that drill because offenses don't throw during 9-7, it's a run drill. That enables him to play his game. No thinking, just run straight through people, be explosive. The wildcard and the part of his game is lacking is that he doesn't have very good instincts and isn't very agile. He bites hard on play action fakes and when you attack him from multiple angles, he is indecisive and makes the wrong decisions. This allows blockers to get onto him exposing more of his weaknesses. He can't disengage. He's poor with his hands and he plays pretty high when reading offenses.

In the case with BJ Raji, you don't understand what i'm saying with his game. He's an explosive, powerful playmaker in a shaded 1 or under technique. He's at his best when he can sit on the center's playside shoulder, or on the neck of the guard. He's made tremendous plays all week doing that.

In a 3-4, a NT doesn't do that. He's a 0 technique. He's head up with the center. Not only will this take away his quickness and ability to take away one side of his man, he's most likely going to be double teamed most downs.

Dewayne Roberson projected much the same way that Raji does this year. Roberson was the #4 draft pick the year he came out, or somewhere around that spot. Raji is going to be between #8-15. What happened when Roberson was subjected to playing a NT in a 3-4? He failed miserably compared to his expectations. The same will be true for Raji.

It is what it is. You can choose to deny the facts but it will prove to be truth here in a couple years. I hope for BJ (I love him as a prospect) and ourselves, we don't take him at 12. If nothing else, leverage his ability to find a partner who will trade up for him.

broncosteven
01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I know we need help up front on Dlline if we stay at 4-3 and even more if we move to 3-4.

If I were Nolan, I would grab the best player at Safety or MLB, then worry about Dline. I would get the centerpiece NT next year once they have someone that can control the center of the field.

Either way I hope they target the guy they want in day 1 and hope they are not afraid to move up to get him.

I like that the Goodmans have moved up the last couple of years to grab their guy.

Rohirrim
01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
But on this board, Raji is the two O'clock date. You've had a few, you could really use a friend, it's last call, and there's one woman left at the bar. She fulfills a need and looks a whole lot better tonight than she will tomorrow morning.

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
But on this board, Raji is the two O'clock date. You've had a few, you could really use a friend, it's last call, and there's one woman left at the bar. She fulfills a need and looks a whole lot better tonight than she will tomorrow morning.

I agree there isn't a whole lot to chose from in the DT category. Not like last yr when there were 3-4 OT worth looking at in first round.

I want Broncos to get good players period I don't care what position they play. If the best player is a CB then take that player over a DE/DT that won't pan out. Remember we took Moss and Crowder high and what did that do for us?

I like Crabtree a lot. I know that's ridiculous but I'm just using an example. A stud WR would be better then a bust DT.

I'm not saying Raji is a bust. I'm saying the team will draft who they think the best player is. No one liked Royal much last yr but now they love him.

Broncos select a CB 1st round some people may be upset, unless he returns three picks for tds and is touted as a great player in the media. Then everyone will love him just like we do Royal.

bpc
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/437695/Desert-Swarmstyle-Double-Eagle-Flex-Defense

If we can run a 3-4 defense similar to what the old AZ Wildcats used to run under Tomey, Raji could work. You use him in a traditional way at NT, he's a waste IMO.

Broncojef
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
He's a pipe dream, he won't be around at 12.

Malauga won't be there at 12? I think he's a perfect fit at our slot.

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Malauga won't be there at 12? I think he's a perfect fit at our slot.

I could see him going earlier. IMO he's the type of hard nosed, physical players you can build a linebacking corp around. He needs to speed help on the outside but most teams see that as easier to find. He's a presence that you have to account for when trying to run the ball.

Cecil Lammey
01-23-2009, 09:32 AM
just got back from Mobile, practice reports here:

http://draftguys.com

Also, Rey played with the fire and intensity of Ray Lewis in Mobile.

socalorado
01-23-2009, 09:42 AM

Now heres a new poster with some solid input! NICE!
Did you watch the entire event? Also, is this your site?
thanks

socalorado
01-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Holy $h!tballs, RB Gartrell Johnson looks strong!

azbroncfan
01-23-2009, 09:49 AM
I
I'm not saying Raji is a bust. I'm saying the team will draft who they think the best player is. No one liked Royal much last yr but now they love him.

Well I don't think you will have to worry about Denver drafting Raji unless they trade up. His stock is soaring sky high after this week.

socalorado
01-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Well I don't think you will have to worry about Denver drafting Raji unless they trade up. His stock is soaring sky high after this week.

So is this guys.

Rey Maualuga(LB-USC) looked like a premium first round pick today. He blew up a screen pass and running play in 11 on 11s, and beat his opponent in every way possible during blitzes in backs on backers. He won with speed, quicks, strength, and moves, and always left his opponent frustrated in one of the most impressive showings of the week in any drill by any player. He seemed to flip the switch and looked like a top 10 pick.

azbroncfan
01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
So is this guys.

Rey Maualuga(LB-USC) looked like a premium first round pick today. He blew up a screen pass and running play in 11 on 11s, and beat his opponent in every way possible during blitzes in backs on backers. He won with speed, quicks, strength, and moves, and always left his opponent frustrated in one of the most impressive showings of the week in any drill by any player. He seemed to flip the switch and looked like a top 10 pick.

Yep It sucks too since one of those two is who I would love Denver to draft.

RocBronc
01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
It's really pretty simple.

If you put Rey Maualuga in a practice setting with obvious plays being ran, of course he should succeed. For example, 9 on 7. He looked great doing that drill because offenses don't throw during 9-7, it's a run drill. That enables him to play his game. No thinking, just run straight through people, be explosive. The wildcard and the part of his game is lacking is that he doesn't have very good instincts and isn't very agile. He bites hard on play action fakes and when you attack him from multiple angles, he is indecisive and makes the wrong decisions. This allows blockers to get onto him exposing more of his weaknesses. He can't disengage. He's poor with his hands and he plays pretty high when reading offenses.

In the case with BJ Raji, you don't understand what i'm saying with his game. He's an explosive, powerful playmaker in a shaded 1 or under technique. He's at his best when he can sit on the center's playside shoulder, or on the neck of the guard. He's made tremendous plays all week doing that.

In a 3-4, a NT doesn't do that. He's a 0 technique. He's head up with the center. Not only will this take away his quickness and ability to take away one side of his man, he's most likely going to be double teamed most downs.

Dewayne Roberson projected much the same way that Raji does this year. Roberson was the #4 draft pick the year he came out, or somewhere around that spot. Raji is going to be between #8-15. What happened when Roberson was subjected to playing a NT in a 3-4? He failed miserably compared to his expectations. The same will be true for Raji.

It is what it is. You can choose to deny the facts but it will prove to be truth here in a couple years. I hope for BJ (I love him as a prospect) and ourselves, we don't take him at 12. If nothing else, leverage his ability to find a partner who will trade up for him.

What if Raji lost a few pounds... Would he be a good fit at DE in the 3-4???

vancejohnson82
01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
What if Raji lost a few pounds... Would he be a good fit at DE in the 3-4???

Roc, if I'm correct with my Boston College knowledge, Raji already lost something like 50 pounds last year. I don't know if I would draft a guy and have to worry about his weight like that....I think he is at his playing weight right now (or was last season)

Br0nc0Buster
01-23-2009, 11:33 AM
So is this guys.

darn, he may be out of our reach.
I hear Cushing is looking good to.
Not sure if he could be a strong side Mike though.

theAPAOps5
01-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Now heres a new poster with some solid input! NICE!
Did you watch the entire event? Also, is this your site?
thanks

Uh he isn't new he just rarely posts. He has a show on the FAN on Sunday mornings and fills in and guest hosts on other shows.

socalorado
01-23-2009, 11:37 AM

In a weird way, dirty sanchez may help DEN in that he will more than likely go to SF, if DET saying they wont take a QB in the 1st is a true indicator of their needs. Chefs take Stafford. Curry goes no later than J-Ville at #8, so theres a chance depending on how Raji looks. I think Raji goes top 10 due to team needs.
I dont care as long as DEN gets either Raji or REY REY. Thats about as good a start to the draft as any of us can hope for.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Was he able to knife through the blockers and kill the ballcarrier like Ray can?

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Roc, if I'm correct with my Boston College knowledge, Raji already lost something like 50 pounds last year. I don't know if I would draft a guy and have to worry about his weight like that....I think he is at his playing weight right now (or was last season)

He was 350 at his "peak" prior to the 2007 season. Coach got him down to his playing weight of 320-325 over that first summer through some brutal workouts and he's stayed right around there since.

cutthemdown
01-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Cushing was projected by Mayock as a 4-3 SSL.