PDA

View Full Version : Raheem Morris hires Jim Bates as DC in Tampa

montrose
01-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Morris hires Bates as DC in Tampa Bay
Posted: Adam Schefter

Tampa Bay coach Raheem Morris has been compared to Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. Now his first significant hire is the kind that Tomlin has.

Just as Tomlin has been able to lean on Pittsburgh’s veteran defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, Morris now will be able to do the same with his new defensive coordinator Jim Bates.

Morris hired Bates Thursday, giving Tampa’s coaching staff the type of veteran presence it needs. Bates is the former Broncos and Dolphins defensive coordinator who temporarily served as Miami’s head coach.

Many names had been speculated on as Tampa’s defensive coordinator, but Bates was the coach the Buccaneers wanted all along. Thursday they got their man.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/22/morris-hires-bates-as-dc-in-tampa-bay/

Florida_Bronco
01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Good hire for them.

TheDave
01-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Good hire for them.

Is it?

Bates didn't seem to be able to teach his system to our guys when he was here...

Florida_Bronco
01-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Is it?

Bates didn't seem to be able to teach his system to our guys when he was here...

It most definetly is. The problem with Bates in Denver was that a) his coverage schemes didn't fit the skill set of our secondary, where our best players were and b) we abandoned it midway into the season so Slowik could screw things up.

He proved himself in Miami and Green Bay, I'm sure he'll do well in Tampa, especially with the defensive talent they have.

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Bates' system is a good one for decent defensive lines.

Dukes
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Is it?

Lets see how he does with players who actually have TALENT.

Killericon
01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
...Noone here actually thinks it'll be Bates' system being run there next year, do they?

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Is it?

Because our players stunk

Lestat
01-22-2009, 12:45 PM
great hire for them. if they can infuse some more young talent at LB and DL they will keep one heck of a defense going. i wonder if this means they might wanna try to trade up and grab a guy like Raji or Curry.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
"Paging Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson ... Big Daddy Dan ..."

illbroncsfn
01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Maybe Bates can mold Gaines Adams into a premiere DE.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Four of our former DCs have been hired for jobs in the last 48 hours:

Robinson
Coyer
Slowik
Bates

Kinda weird ....

Beantown Bronco
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Four of our former DCs have been hired for jobs in the last 48 hours:

Robinson
Coyer
Slowik
Bates

Kinda weird ....

Next season will certainly go a long way in deciding the "coaching vs. talent" debate.

OBF1
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Next season will certainly go a long way in deciding the "coaching vs. talent" debate.

Quoted and rep'd for truth :thumbs:

broncosteven
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Bates' system is a good one for decent defensive lines.

I agree, I wish he had a year or 2 to build one here.

Hope Nolan works out. I like vets who have been around the league.

ol number 7
01-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I agree, I wish he had a year or 2 to build one here.

Hope Nolan works out. I like vets who have been around the league.

Sorry Greasy Al didn't hire him to replace Rob Bob Ryan.

watermock
01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Tamp's D is old.

TheReverend
01-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Good. Bates for Kiffin is as close as you can come to a lateral move when replacing a legend. Raheem will give him time to actually implement the system.

As for it's success in Denver, we're not devoid of talent. We're devoid of intelligence on that side of the ball and a lot of selfish players. One Al Wilson would've gone a LONGGGGGGGG way.

Wes Mantooth
01-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Bates is just fine. No coordinater can be successful without proper personell (our front 7).

What is more interesting is the fact the he followed up coyer as he did here.