PDA

View Full Version : Top 45 Broncos Ranked

montrose
01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Burger Bill always did this following the Broncos season so I decided to do one myself. Here’s my ranking of the top 45 players on the Broncos under contract for next season (according to my records at least). Feel free to make up your own list. Let the firestorm begin...

1) Ryan Clady – No one on the team played at a higher level more consistently.
2) Jay Cutler – Asked to do too much this early in his career.
3) Champ Bailey – Still an outstanding CB but can’t do it by himself anymore.
4) Ryan Harris –The team’s most improved player was great at the RT spot.
5) Eddie Royal – Great route runner gets the nod over Marshall for outstanding return abilities.
6) Brandon Marshall –Blocking, YAC and hands all fell off; and he still had over 100 catches.
7) Daniel Graham – Team leader and dominant blocker became more of a receiving weapon.
8) DJ Williams – Excelled back at WLB before suffering multiple injuries.
9) Casey Wiegmann – Best FA acquisition of the season had a great year anchoring OL.
10) Peyton Hillis – Showed he has multiple abilities as a runner, pass catcher and blocker.
11) Chris Kuper – Getting better and better, still needs to watch the holding penalties.
12) Ben Hamilton – Pleasant comeback after missing 2007, could move to Center.
13) Tony Scheffler – Still struggling through injuries, but has rare receiving talent.
14) Brandon Stokley – Remains one the best slot receivers in football, was great on 3rd down.
15) Dre’ Bly – Overcame poor coaching to have a solid season, including several big plays in key wins.
16) Wesley Woodyard – Bright young surprise has incredible raw talent and instincts.
17) Marcus Thomas – Has the potential to be a very solid DT, needs more consistency.
18) Elvis Dumervil – Overworked as a full-time DE, can still be special as a 3rd down pass rusher.
19) Brett Kern – Broncos may have finally found their punter for the long-term.
20) Kory Lichtensteiger – Looked very good in preseason and played in goal-line packages.
21) Anthony Alridge – Has Darren Sproles-like ability, could be a major part of the new offense.
22) Boss Bailey – Solid but unspectacular player can’t stay healthy and may not fit in 3-4.
23) Ryan Torain – Showed promise in limited action but long injury history is a major concern.
24) Jamie Winborn – Will make a great play then blow his assignment, may also be a 3-4 casualty.
25) Dewayne Robertson – Average player with a high price tag is likely gone this offseason.
26) Spencer Larsen – Great special teamer has good instincts and is a solid tackler.
27) Nate Jackson – Injuries again end his season, but becoming a solid NFL TE.
28) Josh Barrett – Showed promise late in the season, but very raw.
29) Tyler Polumbus – Played extremely well in preseason, rounds out team’s best unit.
30) Matt Prater – Started great with deep kickoffs and long field goals but tailed off badly late.
31) Vernon Fox – Made some special teams plays and showed he can be a backup NFL safety.
32) John Engelberger – Plays with a high motor but too often driven off the ball.
33) Josh Bell – Solid measurables, also has potential but needs a lot of work.
34) Marquand Manual – Struggled mightily in pass coverage and tackling, a backup at best.
35) Niko Koutouvides – Huge disappointment at MLB was very good special teamer but likely gone.
36) Mike Leach – Great long snapper may not be kept by the new regime.
37) Jarvis Moss – Plays with effort but has no pass rush moves and little strength.
38) Jack Williams – Victim of Slowik’s coaching, not given much of a chance to play the slot.
39) Louis Green – In and out of the lineup, a solid reserve/special teamer but may not be fit for the 3-4.
40) Josh Shaw – Spent season suspended and injured; not likely to be kept in the new 3-4.
41) Nic Clemons – Overachiever made some plays but was often overpowered.
42) Tim Crowder – Hopefully new coaching and a different system can get more out of him.
43) Carlton Powell – An unknown at this point.
44) Darrell Hackney – Didn’t beat out Ramsey, but looked okay in camp.
45) Cory Boyd – Crooked Crack didn’t see one carry in a year when 7 RB’s landed on IR.

EDIT - I forgot Selvin Young. My bad - I'd put him in around #27

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Interesting list ... but are you rating their 2008 performances, future value, skill/talent level, what?

Because Boss ahead of Larsen and Winborn is curious....

Flex Gunmetal
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
lol you have been bored!

supermanhr9
01-22-2009, 11:54 AM
agreed,, Boss ahead of winborn and larsen is ridiculous. Overall I like the list, I would make small moves, but nothign major (besides Boss going to the bottom)

montrose
01-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Interesting list ... but are you rating their 2008 performances, future value, skill/talent level, what?

Because Boss ahead of Larsen and Winborn is curious....
agreed,, Boss ahead of winborn and larsen is ridiculous. Overall I like the list, I would make small moves, but nothign major (besides Boss going to the bottom)

Kind of a combination of those factors. If I had done a list based on future value it would look a lot different with guys like Woodyard and Larsen much higher. I suppose current level was the highest as I do think Boss (IF healthy) is a better player than Larsen right now, although Larsen has a lot more potential.

As for Winborn, I'd much rather take the steady Boss (again IF healthy) than a guy who makes a great play followed by an awful play - several years into his career.

lol you have been bored!

You have no idea, I did this while on a conference call.

Tombstone RJ
01-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Burger Bill always did this following the Broncos season so I decided to do one myself. Here’s my ranking of the top 45 players on the Broncos under contract for next season (according to my records at least). Feel free to make up your own list. Let the firestorm begin...

1) Ryan Clady – No one on the team played at a higher level more consistently.
2) Jay Cutler – Asked to do too much this early in his career.
3) Champ Bailey – Still an outstanding CB but can’t do it by himself anymore.
4) Ryan Harris –The team’s most improved player was great at the RT spot.
5) Eddie Royal – Great route runner gets the nod over Marshall for outstanding return abilities.
6) Brandon Marshall –Blocking, YAC and hands all fell off; and he still had over 100 catches.
7) Daniel Graham – Team leader and dominant blocker became more of a receiving weapon.
8) DJ Williams – Excelled back at WLB before suffering multiple injuries.
9) Casey Wiegmann – Best FA acquisition of the season had a great year anchoring OL.
10) Peyton Hillis – Showed he has multiple abilities as a runner, pass catcher and blocker.
11) Chris Kuper – Getting better and better, still needs to watch the holding penalties.
12) Ben Hamilton – Pleasant comeback after missing 2007, could move to Center.
13) Tony Scheffler – Still struggling through injuries, but has rare receiving talent.
14) Brandon Stokley – Remains one the best slot receivers in football, was great on 3rd down.
15) Dre’ Bly – Overcame poor coaching to have a solid season, including several big plays in key wins.
16) Wesley Woodyard – Bright young surprise has incredible raw talent and instincts.
17) Marcus Thomas – Has the potential to be a very solid DT, needs more consistency.
18) Elvis Dumervil – Overworked as a full-time DE, can still be special as a 3rd down pass rusher.
19) Brett Kern – Broncos may have finally found their punter for the long-term.
20) Kory Lichtensteiger – Looked very good in preseason and played in goal-line packages.
21) Anthony Alridge – Has Darren Sproles-like ability, could be a major part of the new offense.
22) Boss Bailey – Solid but unspectacular player can’t stay healthy and may not fit in 3-4.
23) Ryan Torain – Showed promise in limited action but long injury history is a major concern.
24) Jamie Winborn – Will make a great play then blow his assignment, may also be a 3-4 casualty.
25) Dewayne Robertson – Average player with a high price tag is likely gone this offseason.
26) Spencer Larsen – Great special teamer has good instincts and is a solid tackler.
27) Nate Jackson – Injuries again end his season, but becoming a solid NFL TE.
28) Josh Barrett – Showed promise late in the season, but very raw.
29) Tyler Polumbus – Played extremely well in preseason, rounds out team’s best unit.
30) Matt Prater – Started great with deep kickoffs and long field goals but tailed off badly late.
31) Vernon Fox – Made some special teams plays and showed he can be a backup NFL safety.
32) John Engelberger – Plays with a high motor but too often driven off the ball.
33) Josh Bell – Solid measurables, also has potential but needs a lot of work.
34) Marquand Manual – Struggled mightily in pass coverage and tackling, a backup at best.
35) Niko Koutouvides – Huge disappointment at MLB was very good special teamer but likely gone.
36) Mike Leach – Great long snapper may not be kept by the new regime.
37) Jarvis Moss – Plays with effort but has no pass rush moves and little strength.
38) Jack Williams – Victim of Slowik’s coaching, not given much of a chance to play the slot.
39) Louis Green – In and out of the lineup, a solid reserve/special teamer but may not be fit for the 3-4.
40) Josh Shaw – Spent season suspended and injured; not likely to be kept in the new 3-4.
41) Nic Clemons – Overachiever made some plays but was often overpowered.
42) Tim Crowder – Hopefully new coaching and a different system can get more out of him.
43) Carlton Powell – An unknown at this point.
44) Darrell Hackney – Didn’t beat out Ramsey, but looked okay in camp.
45) Cory Boyd – Cooked Crack didn’t see one carry in a year when 7 RB’s landed on IR.

Me likey, oh, and it's Cooked Crack...:sunshine:

no-pseudo-fan
01-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Brandon is more valuable than Royal. Alridge too high

montrose
01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Brandon is more valuable than Royal. Alridge too high

I went back and forth but picked Royal because of his return ability. If Brandon can cure the dropsies and get his YAC ability and blocking back - He'll be in the Top 3.

I have a huge man crush on Alridge. He was great in camp, was killing the Cowboys at practice and tore up the Cardinals in the preseason. I think he's got a great future.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I think just having a list of 10 is enough.
The rest is just laughable.

Hotrod
01-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Nate and John Englebuger made the list are you ****ting me.

**** we have some serious personel issues.

LonghornBronco
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Where is my adopt a bronco??? Selvin gets no love.

gyldenlove
01-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Steve Larsen will set you all straight, he will vault into the top 10 by next seasons end when he has busted skulls open well into the playoffs. He is a beast I tell you, a beast!

socalorado
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Steve Larsen will set you all straight, he will vault into the top 10 by next seasons end when he has busted skulls open well into the playoffs. He is a beast I tell you, a beast!

Steve and Woodshed should be in the top ten right now!

And where in the hell is Foneco!?!?!?!?

montrose
01-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Where is my adopt a bronco??? Selvin gets no love.

I knew there was one player I was missing! I'd put him around #27.

Northman
01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
No way Champ was #3 this year if thats how your basing your rankings. You at least need to play to have a high ranking.