PDA

View Full Version : B. Raji - DT - Boston College

vancejohnson82
01-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Kiper and a bunch of other mocks have us grabbing him...

I like it if we move to a 3-4 but not if we stick with teh 4-3...if that is the case we should grab Maulanga from USC

SoDak Bronco
01-22-2009, 08:33 AM
either way we grab Raji. He is much more than just a 3-4 NT space eater. He can get penetration and wreck havoc in the backfield. I hope he is there at #12, he isn't the sexy pick, but either was Clady and that worked out pretty well.

We need to get a stud up front before our LB's, DB's and DE's can be successful.

want2bAbronco2
01-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Whats his size? Did any other NT come out that are worth a top 20 pick? I know there was Cody(i think thats his name for Bama).

Ziggy
01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Whats his size? Did any other NT come out that are worth a top 20 pick? I know there was Cody(i think thats his name for Bama).

Raji is 6'1" 334 pounds, as measured at the senior bowl a few days ago. He's an absolute beast and is dominating in senior bowl practices by all reports. I'd be surprised if he's there at 12, since he can play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense and is the #1 DT in the draft. Cody is staying in school this year. Raji is the only top twenty DT that's big enough to play in the 3-4.

SouthStndJunkie
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
If we are serious about moving to the 3-4 defense, then Raji is probably at the top of our draft board.

Killericon
01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
If we are serious about defense, then Raji is probably at the top of our draft board.

I fixed your post for you.

no-pseudo-fan
01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Raji I think will be the pick, if he is there. We are going to continue to transition to a pure 3-4, so Raji being able to play NT and DT will be a huge asset.

Paladin
01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Sounds like Raji or Malauugutuare are the top two preferences at this time. One or the other is likely to be there......

Beantown Bronco
01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
As a BC football fan, I've been front and center on the Raji bandwagon for awhile now. If Raji is still there at 12, and the Broncos pass on him, I will know that it was for a "good" reason.......but it won't stop me from breaking something.

no-pseudo-fan
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
As a BC football fan, I've been front and center on the Raji bandwagon for awhile now. If Raji is still there at 12, and the Broncos pass on him, I will know that it was for a "good" reason.......but it won't stop me from breaking something.

Hopefully just wind.

Serenity NOW!!!!

gyldenlove
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VAs7UtO5-S4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VAs7UtO5-S4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This this video, the guy in the red is BJ Raji, the guy in white he is moving out of the way is Eric Olsen who is a OG for Notre Dame, the guy who gets tackled in the backfield is James Aldridge.

If you do not love a DT who uses 300 lb guards to make tackles in the backfield you do not belong here.

goldengopher1976
01-22-2009, 11:35 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VAs7UtO5-S4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VAs7UtO5-S4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This this video, the guy in the red is BJ Raji, the guy in white he is moving out of the way is Eric Olsen who is a OG for Notre Dame, the guy who gets tackled in the backfield is James Aldridge.

If you do not love a DT who uses 300 lb guards to make tackles in the backfield you do not belong here.

Don't see that very often...

goldengopher1976
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
It's funny that that's the only video on youtube about Raji...guess that didn't make it too difficult to find just the right highlight for the thread. :wiggle:

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 02:05 PM

He did that at the senior bowl practice just yesterday.

bap454
01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Thats not even a tackle....... he has no clue where the ball runner is. His head is down and just pushes forward. The guard "guides" him away from the play ... if only the RB would have cut up the lane/ gap. Instead he continues to run right into the back of the guard and trip on both the fat turds.

Now saying that, I love his speed and power .... so Raji at twelve - Im lovin it!!

Rohirrim
01-22-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't know what you guys have been reading, but 6'1" and 334 is very small for a NT in an NFL 3/4. Basically, you're saying, "The right guy isn't there so let's take the guy who is there and make do." Big mistake. Would you do that for QB or LT? Nope. Wait till next year. Trade up and get the Mount. Don't waste your #12 on a "make do" player. This draft is rich with very good LBs. Get your LBs this year and your NT next year.

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't know what you guys have been reading, but 6'1" and 334 is very small for a NT in an NFL 3/4. Basically, you're saying, "The right guy isn't there so let's take the guy who is there and make do."

His measurables were upgraded to 6'2" 334. Look at the bottom of this page. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5210)

And just look at what a nice young man he is!
http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/449bb79ad5_bc08022008.jpg

I love Raji (and I'm fascinated with that photo for some reason hmmm...)

I'm also really starting to like Raji's teammate 325 pound Ron Brace more and more, too (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/Ron-Brace.php) ... he's a 2nd-3rd rounder. And I wanna see what Carlton Powell can do as a 2-gapper. He's small I know, but the capsule descriptions of him sound like a real 3-4 NT ... both he and Va Tech led the nation in rush avg against. I dunno how they tally that stat for an individual player, but it's impressive any way you slice it.

orange crusher
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't know what you guys have been reading, but 6'1" and 334 is very small for a NT in an NFL 3/4. Basically, you're saying, "The right guy isn't there so let's take the guy who is there and make do." Big mistake. Would you do that for QB or LT? Nope. Wait till next year. Trade up and get the Mount. Don't waste your #12 on a "make do" player. This draft is rich with very good LBs. Get your LBs this year and your NT next year.

Casey Hampton - 6'1" 325

ludo21
01-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Casey Hampton - 6'1" 325

he is an exception to the rule tho. Most NT arent very good under 350..

elsid13
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM

There to much fixation with weight and height on this board. The guy is a football player and can play at NT position. Teams that care to much about height, weight and 40 times and don't trust the tape get Mike Mamula not Warren Sapp.

elsid13
01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
he is an exception to the rule tho. Most NT arent very good under 350..

Vince Wilfork DL 6-2 325

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 05:18 PM
I agree, elsid ... and guys are pigeon-holing 3-4 vs. 4-3 players too tightly also. You don't need some alien humanoid life form to play the 3-4, these guys can all play some, and it's still football.

Rohirrim
01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
His measurables were upgraded to 6'2" 334. Look at the bottom of this page. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5210)

And just look at what a nice young man he is!
http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/449bb79ad5_bc08022008.jpg

I love Raji (and I'm fascinated with that photo for some reason hmmm...)

I'm also really starting to like Raji's teammate 325 pound Ron Brace more and more, too (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/Ron-Brace.php) ... he's a 2nd-3rd rounder. And I wanna see what Carlton Powell can do as a 2-gapper. He's small I know, but the capsule descriptions of him sound like a real 3-4 NT ... both he and Va Tech led the nation in rush avg against. I dunno how they tally that stat for an individual player, but it's impressive any way you slice it.

I would be highly surprised if Raji or Brace were drafted into a 3/4 and were able to play 16 games at NT in the NFL. I don't see it. I agree completely re Powell. Put twenty pounds on him and he's Raji/Brace size. This is my mantra this year: Go after Mount Cody next year! And I really doubt that Casey is 325. More like 360. Tomlin yanked him last summer for being so fat.

ludo21
01-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Vince Wilfork DL 6-2 325

pwned... ;D

I am with Roh though. After watching Raji more, I dont think he fits at NT.

Rohirrim
01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
There to much fixation with weight and height on this board. The guy is a football player and can play at NT position. Teams that care to much about height, weight and 40 times and don't trust the tape get Mike Mamula not Warren Sapp.

Or maybe too many Bronco's fans have just gotten used to always having undersized players. It would be nice to try the other side of road - for once.

orange crusher
01-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I'll admit that I haven't seen Raji play alot and I don't know if he has the skills to play the NT position, but he doesn't seem like he is undersized for the position. His height and weight are very similar to some of the best NT's in the business.

Bob
01-22-2009, 05:57 PM

Very small? What the hell are you talking about? The only knock on this guy, might be that at 6.1 he wont have the frame to add more wieght, but my guess is 315 is an average size for NT in the NFL right now, no way is 334 "very small."

Below are the NT's in the NFL who got 20 or more tackles this past year The ones in red are heavier than this college player. I count three guys ...

Height: 6-0 Weight: 307 Age: 28
Jay Alford | #93 | NT
New York Giants | Official Team Site

Height: 6-3 Weight: 304 Age: 25
Justin Bannan | #94 | NT
Baltimore Ravens | Official Team Site

Height: 6-3 Weight: 310 Age: 29
Kendrick Clancy | #71 | NT
New Orleans Saints | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 305 Age: 30
Barry Cofield | #96 | NT

Height: 6-4 Weight: 306 Age: 24
Dusty Dvoracek | #98 | NT
Chicago Bears | Official Team Site

Height: 6-3 Weight: 303 Age: 27
Casey Hampton | #98 | NT
Pittsburgh Steelers | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 325 Age: 31
Kris Jenkins | #77 | NT
New York Jets | Official Team Site

Height: 6-4 Weight: 349 Age: 29
Travis Johnson | #99 | NT
Houston Texans | Official Team Site

Height: 6-3 Weight: 311 Age: 26
Haloti Ngata | #92 | NT

Height: 6-4 Weight: 345 Age: 25
Jay Ratliff | #90 | NT
Dallas Cowboys | Official Team Site

Height: 6-4 Weight: 302 Age: 27
Bryan Robinson | #97 | NT
Arizona Cardinals | Official Team Site

[COLOR="red"]Height: 6-4 Weight: 350 Age: 29
Shaun Rogers | #92 | NT
Cleveland Browns | Official Team Site

Height: 6-3 Weight: 316 Age: 24
Gabe Watson | #98 | NT

Height: 6-3 Weight: 332 Age: 25
Vince Wilfork | #75 | NT
New England Patriots | Official Team Site

Height: 6-2 Weight: 325 Age: 27
Pat Williams | #94 | NT
Minnesota Vikings | Official Team Site

Ziggy
01-22-2009, 06:32 PM
He's not small, but he'll more than likely be gone by the 12th pick. Between now and the draft he could climb into the top 5.

Bob
01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
He's not small, but he'll more than likely be gone by the 12th pick. Between now and the draft he could climb into the top 5.

My concern too ... good DT stock is rising in the NFL

Lestat
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
he can play DT,NT or even DE in some scheme(not a full time DE but in some sets during games) this kid is a gamer and will make some team a nice player.

elsid13
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Or maybe too many Bronco's fans have just gotten used to always having undersized players. It would be nice to try the other side of road - for once.

The kid is 334 pounds (official weight at the senior bowl), that ain't small by any standard. He can play and shows on the field.

Folks talk about Cody from Alabama, but I see a player that is carrying to much weight and is going to struggle with linemen cutting him. Think Gibert from Green Bay, and that what you will have a with Cody a two down player. Raji won't have that problem and will be on the field for 3 downs.

Rohirrim
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Very small? What the hell are you talking about? The only knock on this guy, might be that at 6.1 he wont have the frame to add more wieght, but my guess is 315 is an average size for NT in the NFL right now, no way is 334 "very small."

Below are the NT's in the NFL who got 20 or more tackles this past year The ones in red are heavier than this college player. I count three guys ...

Jay Alford | #93 | NT

Justin Bannan | #94 | NT

Barry Cofield | #96 | NT

Casey Hampton | #98 | NT

Kris Jenkins | #77 | NT

Haloti Ngata | #92 | NT

Jay Ratliff | #90 | NT

Shaun Rogers | #92 | NT

Gabe Watson | #98 | NT

Vince Wilfork | #75 | NT

Pat Williams | #94 | NT

I didn't realize you brought your drama queen act with you over here. So, you're saying Raji is another Kris Jenkins? Or Jay Alford? Or Vince Wilfork? How do you know that? The rest of the guys you've posted here are somewhat bigger, or doesn't two or three more inches count? You'd prefer spending a #12 on Raji this year than wait and go after 6'5", 365 Mount Cody next year? Why? Is Raji that good? If you're going 3/4 the NT is the most crucial position. Why not wait for the best. Why? Because your need is so great you can't control yourself and every time you see a round hole you just grab the round peg and shove it in like a trained monkey? Will Raji be the best player available at #12? Is DT the strongest position in this draft? No? Then why use a #12 on DT? Just because you need one? Do you really need one? Powell is bigger than Raji. Why not give him a shot and go after the best player available in the draft? Powell is 6'3" and has the frame to put on more weight. At least as much as Raji. He was excellent with the Hokies. After Powell was put into the Hokie line VTech led the nation in total defense for 05 and 06. He was a tackling machine. But the toy in the window looks so much more appealing than the one in your hand. Fortunately, the Goodman's will be making the pick, and not the Raji girlie-men on this board. :~ohyah!:

lex
01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
It's funny that that's the only video on youtube about Raji...guess that didn't make it too difficult to find just the right highlight for the thread. :wiggle:

No, theres another good one of him in their bowl game. He's a defensive tackle. Defensive tackles dong fly around the field and make spectacular plays. They let others do that. What you see in the video is both very impressive but its also a bonus.

lex
01-22-2009, 07:45 PM

No ones saying that at all. I think 330s is ok and if he was too tall, youd be talking about not having leverage.

Tombstone RJ
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
no way Raji lasts to 12, we all just need to move on...

Dukes
01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
no way Raji lasts to 12, we all just need to move on...

I was thinking the same thing

bpc
01-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Jay Alford | #93 | NT

Justin Bannan | #94 | NT

Barry Cofield | #96 | NT

Casey Hampton | #98 | NT

Kris Jenkins | #77 | NT

Haloti Ngata | #92 | NT

Jay Ratliff | #90 | NT

Shaun Rogers | #92 | NT

Gabe Watson | #98 | NT

Vince Wilfork | #75 | NT

Pat Williams | #94 | NT

This is just considering sizes, it's not considering skill set or what type of body they have. Ron Dayne is 240/250lbs, that doesn't make him a power back.

BJ Raji is a great DT prospect, no doubt. For the 3-4? IMO, not so much unless you are putting him the Michael Dean Perry, cocked 1 technique where he's sitting on the center's neck. Put him at NT in a 3-4 and you negate everything that makes him a great player. His quickness and power allows him to penetrate offensive linemen in a shaded technique when he only has to battle through half the linemen. Put him head up and he doesn't get that advantage anymore, and that's what is great about his play. He just becomes a stout guy. Also, at NT, you are looking at him being double-teamed almost ever play so a lot of those big plays you guys are watching, are not going to come.

He projects similarly to Dewayne Roberson when he came out of Kentucky. People loved his skillset and he compares almost entirely with what Raji does. Roberson got moved to a NT in Mangino's defense and we all saw what happened. He wasn't very effective.

Bob
01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I didn't realize you brought your drama queen act with you over here. So, you're saying Raji is another Kris Jenkins? Or Jay Alford? Or Vince Wilfork? How do you know that? The rest of the guys you've posted here are somewhat bigger, or doesn't two or three more inches count? You'd prefer spending a #12 on Raji this year than wait and go after 6'5", 365 Mount Cody next year? Why? Is Raji that good? If you're going 3/4 the NT is the most crucial position. Why not wait for the best. Why? Because your need is so great you can't control yourself and every time you see a round hole you just grab the round peg and shove it in like a trained monkey? Will Raji be the best player available at #12? Is DT the strongest position in this draft? No? Then why use a #12 on DT? Just because you need one? Do you really need one? Powell is bigger than Raji. Why not give him a shot and go after the best player available in the draft? Powell is 6'3" and has the frame to put on more weight. At least as much as Raji. He was excellent with the Hokies. After Powell was put into the Hokie line VTech led the nation in total defense for 05 and 06. He was a tackling machine. But the toy in the window looks so much more appealing than the one in your hand. Fortunately, the Goodman's will be making the pick, and not the Raji girlie-men on this board. :~ohyah!:

Not drama, just pointing out that your version of small may only apply to sumo wrestlers.

Next year is next year -- if possible to finally address DT this year I say we do it. And just for fun if we can get another monster next year -- great, but I hope that we are not in a position to be drafting in the top 12 next year, and if we address the biggest perenal need we have this year we wont be forced to drool over every DT available that can actually stop teh run.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Not drama, just pointing out that your version of small may only apply to sumo wrestlers.

Next year is next year -- if possible to finally address DT this year I say we do it. And just for fun if we can get another monster next year -- great, but I hope that we are not in a position to be drafting in the top 12 next year, and if we address the biggest perenal need we have this year we wont be forced to drool over every DT available that can actually stop teh run.

i think if we can get good production from the running game(i mean good yards, consistency and scoring not inflated YPC averages) and if Nolan can get our defense to be even mediocre next season, we will be drafting in the mid 20's.

Hallside
01-23-2009, 12:08 AM
His senior bowl reports have been incredible. I recommend this thread:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29302

His senior bowl reports have been amazing. At this rate, we'll be lucky to get him, especially with Capers switching GB to a 3-4, though I can easily see him going as soon as 7 to the Raiders if Crabtree is gone and the elite OTs are picked over.

watermock
01-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Ted Gregory Career Statistics

Defensive Statistics
Sacks Interceptions
Year Team G GS Sacks Loss Int Yds Avg Lg TD
1988 New Orleans Saints (NFL) -- -- 1.0 -- 0 0 0.0 0 0
NFL Totals 0 0 1.0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0

I sure hope he works out better than Ted Gregory.

Drek
01-23-2009, 03:43 AM
This is just considering sizes, it's not considering skill set or what type of body they have. Ron Dayne is 240/250lbs, that doesn't make him a power back.

BJ Raji is a great DT prospect, no doubt. For the 3-4? IMO, not so much unless you are putting him the Michael Dean Perry, cocked 1 technique where he's sitting on the center's neck. Put him at NT in a 3-4 and you negate everything that makes him a great player. His quickness and power allows him to penetrate offensive linemen in a shaded technique when he only has to battle through half the linemen. Put him head up and he doesn't get that advantage anymore, and that's what is great about his play. He just becomes a stout guy. Also, at NT, you are looking at him being double-teamed almost ever play so a lot of those big plays you guys are watching, are not going to come.

He projects similarly to Dewayne Roberson when he came out of Kentucky. People loved his skillset and he compares almost entirely with what Raji does. Roberson got moved to a NT in Mangino's defense and we all saw what happened. He wasn't very effective.

I largely agree with your break down of Raji, except the Robertson comparison.

I think he best parallels to Haloti Ngata. Can he be a good NT? Sure, he's got the power and is a stout enough gap stuffer. But thats like buying a Ferrari and never driving over 60. It gets you where you want to go, but you sure did waste a lot of money for capabilities you never use.

If we want to run a 3-4/4-3 hybrid a la Baltimore and to a lesser extent AZ then I'm all for Raji, but just to plug him in as a straight up NT? No thanks. I'll take Ron Brace instead.

At #12 we should be looking for one of three things, assuming we want to play a straight up 3-4.

1 - an immediate answer as a pass rushing OLB. Thats Aaron Curry if there is some freakish slide or probably Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown after that.

2 - an impact MLB who can take the hard nose gap filler role head on. Maualuga looks like the only good option there and he might be available later depending on how the senior bowl and combine work out for him.

3- a huge value guy who slides to us and fits a position where we could use young depth. Primarily that'd be Malcolm Jenkins, as he'd be able to slot in as the nickel back immediately and learn behind Champ and Dre for a year before taking Dre's job when his cap number starts to exceed the money still owed him and he gets another year older.

Anything short of those options working out for us we should trade back. Ideal world we move back to the 15th or so pick (just in front of SD), still scoop up Maualuga, and use the recouped pick (probably a middle 3rd rounder) along with our own 3rd to trade back up into the second round. Grab Ron Brace and Ziggy Hood both, Brace for NT and Hood for 3-4 DE.

Rohirrim
01-23-2009, 05:46 AM

This defense is not going to get fixed in one off season. Anybody who thinks it will is dreaming. If the Broncos D can move up 10 spots I'm happy. That takes us to 18th or 19th. This would be a better year to trade down and get more picks.

cutthemdown
01-23-2009, 06:14 AM
With all the good linebackers in the draft and not so many DT I think Broncos should look to try and snag a couple good backers.

Cushing would make a great SSL in a 4-3
Lauranatis can prob play all 3 spots in a 4-3 or inside in a 3-4.
Malualuga- Inside in a 4-3 or 3-4
Curry- Wow pipe dream probably but what an athlete

There are a ton more also

Broncos_OTM
01-23-2009, 06:50 AM
The kid is 334 pounds (official weight at the senior bowl), that ain't small by any standard. He can play and shows on the field.

Folks talk about Cody from Alabama, but I see a player that is carrying to much weight and is going to struggle with linemen cutting him. Think Gibert from Green Bay, and that what you will have a with Cody a two down player. Raji won't have that problem and will be on the field for 3 downs.

Cody moves really well for his size. Seriously i remember gilbert. not even comparable. I dont know if you have seen cody but you really should watch him play before you critique him Now injury prone. that is a possiblity

334 is a good weight for a NT in the NFL. Im very sure he could add weight if you think he is to light. but lets let the coaches decide his weight

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2009, 06:55 AM
To anyone saying that the Broncos should hold out for Cody next year, I hope you enjoy watching a 2009 season of less than 7 wins. Cause that's the only way they'd even have a shot at him, without trading away the rest of the 2010 draft to move up and grab him.

Sorry if I'm not jumping for joy at that idea.

I can't believe people are still calling Raji a reach at 12. We're talking about a guy that, even prior to the glowing reports he's earned this week at Senior Bowl practices, was ranked #8 on Mike Mayock's senior board. This is a guy that could very likely go in the top 10 when all is said and done.

And to the "negative" comparison to Halogi Ngata. Really? I'd give up the #12 pick in a milisecond to have Ngata on this defense.

socalorado
01-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I was thinking the same thing

So was i. Not to sound depressing, but i dont think he makes it to #12.
Still early though, but right now raji's climbing up boards.
There are some seriously crappy teams ahead of DEN that could really use a DT. Sorry to sound "debbie downer".
I also have been seeing alot of talk about Chris Wells going to SD at#16.
That just really isnt what i want to see at all. I would really, really, really like to see Wells gone before #16. Again, it doesnt matter what rival teams do overall,cause DEN needs to build a defense no matter what, but i really, really, really dont want to see Wells in SD.

socalorado
01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
With all the good linebackers in the draft and not so many DT I think Broncos should look to try and snag a couple good backers.

Cushing would make a great SSL in a 4-3
Lauranatis can prob play all 3 spots in a 4-3 or inside in a 3-4.
Malualuga- Inside in a 4-3 or 3-4
Curry- Wow pipe dream probably but what an athlete

There are a ton more also

Curry is gone by #12. I think we can all agree on this, unless theres a Festivus miracle.
REY REY. Right now i would say theres a 70% chance hes there. Still have the combine to go.
Laurintus will make it into the 20s i think. I dont think he plays MLB in the pros
Cushing could go to NYG in the 1st, or at the top of the 2nd.

Now, with this in mind, how would you feel if DEN traded with PHIL for 2 #1s and picked up Cushing and McCoy?? Then took Brace in the 2nd? Just askin

Rohirrim
01-23-2009, 07:28 AM
To anyone saying that the Broncos should hold out for Cody next year, I hope you enjoy watching a 2009 season of less than 7 wins. Cause that's the only way they'd even have a shot at him, without trading away the rest of the 2010 draft to move up and grab him.

I can't believe people are still calling Raji a reach at 12. We're talking about a guy that, even prior to the glowing reports he's earned this week at Senior Bowl practices, was ranked #8 on Mike Mayock's senior board. This is a guy that could very likely go in the top 10 when all is said and done.

And to the "negative" comparison to Halogi Ngata. Really? I'd give up the #12 pick in a milisecond to have Ngata on this defense.

I assume the Broncos would have to trade up for Cody next year, just like they did for Cutler. Hell, the way it's going now, they might have to trade up for Raji. Unfortunately, given the schedule next season, seven wins might be optimistic.

HILife
01-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Kiper and a bunch of other mocks have us grabbing him...

I like it if we move to a 3-4 but not if we stick with teh 4-3...if that is the case we should grab Maulanga from USC

Sounds like a good pick to me. He fits both 3-4 and 4-3.

no-pseudo-fan
01-23-2009, 07:42 AM
I think the more you look at any one player, there are things that you will start to not like.

Clady last years knocks were: Was he smart enough? Could he block top talent? Was he strong enough?

Now what. You kind of have to trust what you see and not over-analyze players.

Drek
01-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I assume the Broncos would have to trade up for Cody next year, just like they did for Cutler. Hell, the way it's going now, they might have to trade up for Raji. Unfortunately, given the schedule next season, seven wins might be optimistic.

If we aren't in the top 5 or 6 picks we'd need to trade up for Cody, unless he flops his senior season.

But when we traded up for Cutler we had two first round picks to use as firepower. How are we going to acquire that for the 2010 draft, short of trading our 12th overall first rounder this year?

Ron Brace would be a fine option for NT as would several other guys in this draft class, and we could probably even find an ok option in FA. NT is an important part of a good 3-4 but it isn't such a high profile spot that you need to invest a top 15 pick in it. We could get a good option in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

elsid13
01-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Cody moves really well for his size. Seriously i remember gilbert. not even comparable. I dont know if you have seen cody but you really should watch him play before you critique him Now injury prone. that is a possiblity

334 is a good weight for a NT in the NFL. Im very sure he could add weight if you think he is to light. but lets let the coaches decide his weight

i have seen him play. Cody already started to have knee issues What going to happen to movement in the NFL when he get stronger guys cutting at the line of scrimmage?

Rohirrim
01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
If we aren't in the top 5 or 6 picks we'd need to trade up for Cody, unless he flops his senior season.

But when we traded up for Cutler we had two first round picks to use as firepower. How are we going to acquire that for the 2010 draft, short of trading our 12th overall first rounder this year?

Ron Brace would be a fine option for NT as would several other guys in this draft class, and we could probably even find an ok option in FA. NT is an important part of a good 3-4 but it isn't such a high profile spot that you need to invest a top 15 pick in it. We could get a good option in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

What about Powell? As far as Cody goes, I don't know why you think we won't be up in the top ten next year. That's just as likely as being in the twenties. We have a killer schedule, a new HC, DC and OC, and will be trying to build a defense. Are you assuming we'll make the playoffs? I wish I could be that optimistic.

BroncoBuff
01-23-2009, 11:22 AM
What about Powell? As far as Cody goes, I don't know why you think we won't be up in the top ten next year. That's just as likely as being in the twenties. We have a killer schedule, a new HC, DC and OC, and will be trying to build a defense. Are you assuming we'll make the playoffs? I wish I could be that optimistic.

You are far FAR more patient than me and 99% of us ... I cannot concieve of planning ahead to the 2010 draft hmmm...

BroncoBuff
01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Ron Brace would be a fine option for NT as would several other guys in this draft class.

Give us a rundown of the guys you like out there ... all I've seen worthy of the first half of the draft are Raji, Brace, the guy from Clemson and Terrance Taylor.

What do you think of Powell for NT depth ... he's a powerful 2-gap run-stuffer, though a bit small.

Bob
01-23-2009, 11:52 AM

I have heard allot about Cody, he's teh guy coming out next year right? If a team wants a DT or NT that is huge and can move well, nobody can assume that we will be in a position to grab him next year...

Bob
01-23-2009, 12:00 PM

The only negitive I would see is if we use him at CB. If he was a 350 pound blob that could not move, then I think you have to think more about how he is utilized on the DL. I'm sure there are schemes, where if we are using him only to take on double teams, when a blob could do that, where there may be lest costly options, but I cannot imagine coaches would be that stupid -- they know what kind of scheme they woudl like to run, and will get in guys that fit in well. It seems that Ngata is not a one-trick poney, and that frees him up and teh D coordinator.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Absolutely. I've watched this guy play. We'd be lucky to even be in position to grab him.

Drek
01-23-2009, 01:36 PM

Its not even about making the playoffs. Short of Cody having a serious injury or really falling off a cliff in terms of athleticism and production we'd need to win NO MORE THAN 5 GAMES.

He's a 375 pound NT who's coaches say he does agility drills better than pretty much all their linebackers. You watch footage of him in practice and those comments don't even seem like hype. He's freakishly agile for a DT and at the same time he's the biggest DT to be productive in college in ages. He's a super freak and will be a top 5 pick if not the very first pick in next year's draft.

We've got too much talent on this team to do that badly without flat out intentionally tanking.

As for Carlton Powell, its tough to say, never getting to see him on the field as an NFL player. He's got a big frame and if he's used this season on the IR to add 10-15 pounds of muscle then maybe he'll be a legit NT option. If not then in a 3-4 he's more of a DE. I'd like it if he was a bit taller for that role, but 6'3" is an ok height for breaking up passing lanes.

Brace, Terrance Taylor, and Dorell Scott are some obvious choices for a NT type in the later rounds. A sleeper I really like in the later rounds though is Sammie Lee Hill out of Stillman. Played at a lower talent level of football but he's got great size, supposed to be very quick for how big he is, and is also a great character guy. Its too bad he got a slight tweak before the East West Shrine game because I would've loved to watch him play. He could be a real steal if we draft him in the later rounds and let him develop in a backup/rotational role for a couple years.

I'd really love to see us add Ziggy Hood or Tyson Jackson for 3-4 ends, and wouldn't be at all opposed to Zach Potter out of Nebraska as a later round pick. He made a lot of plays behind the LOS the last couple years and has excellent height for the 3-4 DE position, swatting balls in passing lanes like we've seen Keisel do for Pittsburgh so effectively of late.

MagicHef
01-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I've heard that Nolan's and Nunnely's 3-4 asks the DL to penetrate more than other 3-4s. If McDaniels allows them to use this style rather than what NE ran, wouldn't Raji be a great fit?

~Crash~
01-26-2009, 10:14 AM

bingo and you can still take a chanch on a fat turd late in the draft .

Arkie
01-26-2009, 10:19 AM
I agree, elsid ... and guys are pigeon-holing 3-4 vs. 4-3 players too tightly also. You don't need some alien humanoid life form to play the 3-4, these guys can all play some, and it's still football.

Lets see them tightly pigeonholed just because it's fun.

Bold = NT

1. B.J. Raji, Boston College
2. Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
3. Sen'Derrick Marks, Auburn
4. Evander "Ziggy" Hood, Missouri
5. Ricky Jean-Francois, LSU
6. Fili Moala, USC
7. Ron Brace, Boston College
8. Jeff Owens, Georgia
9. Terrance Taylor, Michigan
10. Vance Walker, Georgia Tech
11. Darryl Richard, Georgia Tech
12. Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State
13. John Gill, Northwestern
14. Alex Magee, Purdue
15. Rashaad Jackson, Clemson
16. Roy Miller, Texas
17. Demonte' Bolden, Tennessee
18. Mitch King, Iowa
19. Clinton McDonald, Memphis
20. Dorell Scott, Clemson
21. Marlon Favorite, LSU
22. George Hypolite, Colorado
23. Jeremy Navarre, Maryland
24. Will Johnson, Michigan
25. David Lindquist, Illinois
26. Corvey Irvin, Georgia
27. Rashaad Duncan, Penn
28. Myron Pryor, Kentucky
29. Mika Kane, California
30. Pernnell Booth, Oregon State

~Crash~
01-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Fili Moala, USC was he not a NT for USC ?

mhgaffney
01-26-2009, 04:02 PM
I first posted this on the other board -- but it belongs here.

It now looks like B Raji's stock is rising. He will not be there at the 12th spot. He will be long gone. So the question of taking a NT in round one is moot.

Fortunately, there might be another way to go. Denver has needs at 5 spots DT, DE, S, LB and RB.

If we could fill two of the defensive needs in free agency -- hopefully by acquiring a DE (Peppers?) and maybe a FS (Atogwe?) -- then I would not be surprised if coach McDaniels goes offense in round one -- and picks Georgia RB Moreno. Knowshon will probably be there for us at the 12th spot.

I know this sounds far out -- and I did not like the idea when I first heard it - -- but just consider it.

If this kid is as good as I'm hearing, it does make a lot of sense. Moreno would be the final piece of the offensive puzzle -- and could make Denver's "O" unstoppable.

A truly balanced offense -- 50-50 run/pass -- would allow Cutler to take it to the next level.

With Moreno and Hillis in the backfield Denver's offense would be electric -- off the charts. Moreno does it all -- runs inside - outside -- blocks and catches the ball out of the backfield. He has great speed and is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

Paired with Hillis -- Denver's running game would be scary. Opposing defenses would have to respect the run on every play -- even third down. This would open up the long pass for Cutler -- something we have not yet seen. Also, Cutler would not have to thread the ball -- risking interceptions. He would have so many weapons -- someone would always be open or in 1/1 coverage. Cutler could mature and play smart football -- find the open man.

Nor would opposing defenses be able to blitz Cutler effectively. Moreno can block and he and/or Hillis would always be open. Cutler could simply dump off the ball. The screen would come to Denver in a big way -- with lots of yardage after the catch.

Imagine the Rams in 2000 when Kurt Warner blew everyone away. The Ram offense was simply on another level. No one was able to play with them -- and it could be the same thing here. Denver would have much greater efficiency in the red zone.

The only concern so far about Moreno is his size -- but heck the kid is only a sophomore. He is still growing and could top out at 215 pounds. Imagine a slightly larger and faster version of T Davis.

The rest of the draft could be about defense.

The other factor that could make this strategy work is the depth in the draft at our positions of need. They say it's the best LB class in history. So there will be LB talent available in the 2nd - 3rd rounds. This is why I think Rey Rey in the first is not the way to go.

The same goes for DT. We might be able to draft Brace in the 2nd or someone who is serviceable in the third. But of course the key is to have success in free agency.

MHG

mattob14
01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Its not even about making the playoffs. Short of Cody having a serious injury or really falling off a cliff in terms of athleticism and production we'd need to win NO MORE THAN 5 GAMES.

He's a 375 pound NT who's coaches say he does agility drills better than pretty much all their linebackers. You watch footage of him in practice and those comments don't even seem like hype. He's freakishly agile for a DT and at the same time he's the biggest DT to be productive in college in ages. He's a super freak and will be a top 5 pick if not the very first pick in next year's draft.

We've got too much talent on this team to do that badly without flat out intentionally tanking.

As for Carlton Powell, its tough to say, never getting to see him on the field as an NFL player. He's got a big frame and if he's used this season on the IR to add 10-15 pounds of muscle then maybe he'll be a legit NT option. If not then in a 3-4 he's more of a DE. I'd like it if he was a bit taller for that role, but 6'3" is an ok height for breaking up passing lanes.

Brace, Terrance Taylor, and Dorell Scott are some obvious choices for a NT type in the later rounds. A sleeper I really like in the later rounds though is Sammie Lee Hill out of Stillman. Played at a lower talent level of football but he's got great size, supposed to be very quick for how big he is, and is also a great character guy. Its too bad he got a slight tweak before the East West Shrine game because I would've loved to watch him play. He could be a real steal if we draft him in the later rounds and let him develop in a backup/rotational role for a couple years.

I'd really love to see us add Ziggy Hood or Tyson Jackson for 3-4 ends, and wouldn't be at all opposed to Zach Potter out of Nebraska as a later round pick. He made a lot of plays behind the LOS the last couple years and has excellent height for the 3-4 DE position, swatting balls in passing lanes like we've seen Keisel do for Pittsburgh so effectively of late.

I think you're really overvaluing Cody here. According to most reports I read, from people I respect, Cody would have been a mid-2nd value this year. He's big and athletic, but lacks stamina, technique, and the ability to use his hands. He also brings nothing in the pass-rush. Now, if he works hard to improve conditioning and technique, he could possibly push for the top-10 next year, but right now I think the bottom-3rd of round 1 is much more likely. If he was a top-10 lock, he wouldn't be going back to 'Bama next year.

BroncoBuff
01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Gaff - We don't need a DE or a RB.

Or at least we dont have near as big a need as we do for NT and Safety.

Killericon
01-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Gaff - We don't need a DE or a RB.

Or at least we dont have near as big a need as we do for NT and Safety.

And Linebackers. In general.

Drek
01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I think you're really overvaluing Cody here. According to most reports I read, from people I respect, Cody would have been a mid-2nd value this year. He's big and athletic, but lacks stamina, technique, and the ability to use his hands. He also brings nothing in the pass-rush. Now, if he works hard to improve conditioning and technique, he could possibly push for the top-10 next year, but right now I think the bottom-3rd of round 1 is much more likely. If he was a top-10 lock, he wouldn't be going back to 'Bama next year.
Maybe, he's an impressive freak and one who has actually shown some development and doesn't have off the field problems. I think that'll help propel him up the board. But yes, from a productivity standpoint he shouldn't rank super high.

Though Scouts Inc. did have him as a mid-1st rounder in their initial evaluations, so not everyone thought he was a mid-2nd at this point.

anton
01-26-2009, 07:47 PM
MHG

Moreno has nowhere near GREAT SPEED. And his size can be an injury problem in the pros. He is a late first rd pick in my opinion.

RocBronc
01-27-2009, 06:55 AM
I first posted this on the other board -- but it belongs here.

It now looks like B Raji's stock is rising. He will not be there at the 12th spot. He will be long gone. So the question of taking a NT in round one is moot.

Fortunately, there might be another way to go. Denver has needs at 5 spots DT, DE, S, LB and RB.

If we could fill two of the defensive needs in free agency -- hopefully by acquiring a DE (Peppers?) and maybe a FS (Atogwe?) -- then I would not be surprised if coach McDaniels goes offense in round one -- and picks Georgia RB Moreno. Knowshon will probably be there for us at the 12th spot.

I know this sounds far out -- and I did not like the idea when I first heard it - -- but just consider it.

If this kid is as good as I'm hearing, it does make a lot of sense. Moreno would be the final piece of the offensive puzzle -- and could make Denver's "O" unstoppable.

A truly balanced offense -- 50-50 run/pass -- would allow Cutler to take it to the next level.

With Moreno and Hillis in the backfield Denver's offense would be electric -- off the charts. Moreno does it all -- runs inside - outside -- blocks and catches the ball out of the backfield. He has great speed and is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

Paired with Hillis -- Denver's running game would be scary. Opposing defenses would have to respect the run on every play -- even third down. This would open up the long pass for Cutler -- something we have not yet seen. Also, Cutler would not have to thread the ball -- risking interceptions. He would have so many weapons -- someone would always be open or in 1/1 coverage. Cutler could mature and play smart football -- find the open man.

Nor would opposing defenses be able to blitz Cutler effectively. Moreno can block and he and/or Hillis would always be open. Cutler could simply dump off the ball. The screen would come to Denver in a big way -- with lots of yardage after the catch.

Imagine the Rams in 2000 when Kurt Warner blew everyone away. The Ram offense was simply on another level. No one was able to play with them -- and it could be the same thing here. Denver would have much greater efficiency in the red zone.

The only concern so far about Moreno is his size -- but heck the kid is only a sophomore. He is still growing and could top out at 215 pounds. Imagine a slightly larger and faster version of T Davis.

The rest of the draft could be about defense.

The other factor that could make this strategy work is the depth in the draft at our positions of need. They say it's the best LB class in history. So there will be LB talent available in the 2nd - 3rd rounds. This is why I think Rey Rey in the first is not the way to go.

The same goes for DT. We might be able to draft Brace in the 2nd or someone who is serviceable in the third. But of course the key is to have success in free agency.

MHG

Some good thoughts and Moreno is my favorite RB in the draft but to me if there isn't a defensive player worth taking at 12, I'd trade down... Even if we do alot in FA, we have so many needs on defense, esp. switching over to the 3-4 we need to take our best assets and invest them on defense.

mattob14
01-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Maybe, he's an impressive freak and one who has actually shown some development and doesn't have off the field problems. I think that'll help propel him up the board. But yes, from a productivity standpoint he shouldn't rank super high.

Though Scouts Inc. did have him as a mid-1st rounder in their initial evaluations, so not everyone thought he was a mid-2nd at this point.

When you say initial evaluations, what was the timeframe? Early in the process, Cody had a lot of hype and was looked at as a solid 1st-round value. That seemed to fade a little bit as the process went on. Now, I'm still a fan of Cody and he could be a great option next year, but you just don't see NT's go top-5.

Bob
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Ted Gregory Career Statistics

Defensive Statistics
Sacks Interceptions
Year Team G GS Sacks Loss Int Yds Avg Lg TD
1988 New Orleans Saints (NFL) -- -- 1.0 -- 0 0 0.0 0 0
NFL Totals 0 0 1.0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0

I sure hope he works out better than Ted Gregory.

Ted, was 265 and about 5:11, but yeah, whoever we get me too.