PDA

View Full Version : Coyer to the Colts

Wes Mantooth
01-21-2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/Colts_to_hire_Coyer

orinjkrush
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
good for him. he had Broncos tatooed on his heart.

broncosteven
01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Maybe we could finally beat them in the playoffs.

bowtown
01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
This is one of the most delicious bowls of irony I have ever tasted.

watermock
01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Coyer, looking back, was one of our better failures.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Un-****ing-believable.

I should've seen this one coming. I'm goddamn blind apparently!

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Coaching hasn't been the problem in Denver. The problem has been lack of talent due to poor drafting, bad FA moves, and a couple injuries.

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Denver ranked in the top 4 defenses in yards per game allowed under Coyer in 2003 and 2004.

In addition, the Broncos ranked 6th in scoring defense during his four years as defensive coordinator.

Anybody still wondering how Mike lost his job need read no further than this :(

Bronx33
01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Iam sorry larry but you will have to be crushed.

oubronco
01-21-2009, 07:25 PM
at least he won't have to face Peyton in the playoffs

Mediator12
01-21-2009, 08:07 PM

What's that old saying,"If you can't beat em, Join em" ROFL!

broncosteven
01-21-2009, 08:09 PM
What's that old saying,"If you can't beat em, Join em" ROFL!

You going to do any work with him? He's in your neck of the woods now.

Wes Mantooth
01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
My guess is he will be quite successful in a situation where the offense can hold their own.

BroncoInferno
01-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Coaching hasn't been the problem in Denver. The problem has been lack of talent due to poor drafting, bad FA moves, and a couple injuries.

Largely agree. I think Slowik sucked, but Coyer got way more out of the talent than was there, particularly in 2005, and did not get the credit he deserved for it. He made the Browns rejects look passable. That group was great vs. the run and his zero blitz scheme worked very well in 2005 until the AFCCG. He used smoke and mirrors to hide poor talent and did so well. Hope he fairs well in Indy.

Ninjatime
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM

Why not? Hillis is going to annihilate Bob Sanders!

Finger Roll
01-21-2009, 09:00 PM
so he's going to the team that owned him in the playoffs which lead to his ass getting fired:rofl:

DBBBSBS
01-21-2009, 09:09 PM
now we can win against indy

Sassy
01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Where's Med? ;D

BroncoMan4ever
01-21-2009, 11:47 PM
so he's going to the team that owned him in the playoffs which lead to his ass getting fired:rofl:

can't beat em' join em'

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-22-2009, 12:10 AM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7137/coyerdm7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

fontaine
01-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Damn I wish we had a coach like Coyer again who could get the best out of his players.

Guys who had no business being in the league and are pretty much out of it now did allright under Coyer like Sykes, Walls, Ferguson, Brandon, Holland, Fatafehi etc etc.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Damn I wish we had a coach like Coyer again who could get the best out of his players.

Guys who had no business being in the league and are pretty much out of it now did allright under Coyer like Sykes, Walls, Ferguson, Brandon, Holland, Fatafehi etc etc.

Sykes was a decent player and became a starter in Miami for a while. Walls was eh, Ferguson is starting in Houston, Sam Brandon had the injury and then disciplinary action from the league.

Fatafehi was a scrub. Not sure what Holland you're talking about... Montrae? Hopefully not... did you mean Pope or am I way off?

chrisp
01-22-2009, 05:19 AM
I liked Coyer and think it was a mistake to sack him when we did (particularly when you consider what we replaced him with) but for almost his entire tenure as DC he had:

Trevor Pryce on the D-line

and

Al Wilson in the LB corp

The main problem with our defence is that we have failed to replace those two key players, particularly on the D-line. Pryce was not always consistent for us, but he was a player who had to be taken into account all the time

BroncoInferno
01-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Not sure what Holland you're talking about... Montrae? Hopefully not... did you mean Pope or am I way off?

Darrius. I don't blame you for forgetting he started for us; I've tried to block the memory myself.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Sykes was a decent player and became a starter in Miami for a while. Walls was eh, Ferguson is starting in Houston, Sam Brandon had the injury and then disciplinary action from the league.

Fatafehi was a scrub. Not sure what Holland you're talking about... Montrae? Hopefully not... did you mean Pope or am I way off?

Darius, how could you forget him?!!??!? He made a tackle every month or so.

I happy for Coyer. He's a good coach, a good man and didn't deserve to be fired.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Darrius. I don't blame you for forgetting he started for us; I've tried to block the memory myself.

:spit:

Holy ****. I completely forgot he existed.

clint7
01-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Break out the pipe, Larry!

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Coyer's detractors will never admit it, even when the numbers are impossible to ignore, but he was the best defensive coordinator we had under Shanahan and firing him was a mistake. We lost Al Wilson and had one average year and people here wanted to get rid of him. Well low and behold a quality franchise like Indy bringing him in. Everywhere he's coached has had a better defense when he gets there. I loved his pipe, too. It was so old school, good ol' boy.

Best of luck to you, Mr. Coyer. You're a stud and a Bronco at heart.

BroncoInferno
01-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Coyer's detractors will never admit it, even when the numbers are impossible to ignore, but he was the best defensive coordinator we had under Shanahan and firing him was a mistake. We lost Al Wilson and had one average year and people here wanted to get rid of him. Well low and behold a quality franchise like Indy bringing him in. Everywhere he's coached has had a better defense when he gets there. I loved his pipe, too. It was so old school, good ol' boy.

More than 2006, people got tired of the massive playoff flame-outs where the D could not get off the field. But, in retrospect, he did a great job squeezing quality regular season defenses out of a largely untalented group (up front anyway). The smoke and mirrors stuff will catch up with you in the playoffs, but given the lack of talent he had to work with he had little choice but to go that route.

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 06:39 AM
More than 2006, people got tired of the massive playoff flame-outs where the D could not get off the field. But, in retrospect, he did a great job squeezing quality regular season defenses out of a largely untalented group (up front anyway). The smoke and mirrors stuff will catch up with you in the playoffs, but given the lack of talent he had to work with he had little choice but to go that route.

That's really what it comes down to. In fact in the last end-of-season meeting Coyer had with Shanahan, Coyer told him they needed to upgrade the front seven and some players needed to go. Then he was fired a day later. I don't know if Shanahan thought the defense was better than it was or if he thought the players had grown tired of him. One thing is certain: His coaching expertise and his knowledge of the game were not the problem.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 06:44 AM

I'll agree with this and I am a Coyer detractor (though I think had Bates been given time...)

Al Wilson HAD only missed a couple games and the severity of his injury was unknown until several months after the firing, though, so not sure we can credit much of that.

On a side note, I'll gladly admit he's one of the best LB coaches in the NFL, if not THE best.

montrose
01-22-2009, 06:54 AM
On a side note, I'll gladly admit he's one of the best LB coaches in the NFL, if not THE best.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Staff%20Photos/2009/martindale_don_mug09.jpg

NaptownChief
01-22-2009, 07:01 AM

I would agree with that. Really glad to get him here with the Colts. I think he is a great pickup and upgrade from Ron Meeks but considering Herm Edwards rumor that was going around town I must say I am overjoyed to see it was Coyer and not Squirm Edwards.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 07:03 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Staff%20Photos/2009/martindale_don_mug09.jpg

Sykes and Spragan say hi.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 07:05 AM
So much for those rumors that Caldwell wanted to get away from the Cover 2 :)

montrose
01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Sykes and Spragan say hi.

Thomas Howard and Kirk Morrison say whats up. :)

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 07:36 AM

They are more talented. I think TheRev is arguing Coyer did more with less. I'd take the Raiders linebackers in heartbeat. I'm excited about Martindale and all the new hires on defense, though. They're all hard asses and we need an attitude adjustment.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 07:49 AM

You missed my point. If I wanted to give examples of good players larry coached up, I would've tossed in a little mobley and gold/williams.

Howard and Morrison were early 2nd and 3rd round picks respectively.

Sykes and Spragan were both UDFAs that played some solid football sheerly on the basis of well coached fundamentals and smart play.

montrose
01-22-2009, 08:16 AM
They are more talented. I think TheRev is arguing Coyer did more with less. I'd take the Raiders linebackers in heartbeat. I'm excited about Martindale and all the new hires on defense, though. They're all hard asses and we need an attitude adjustment.

I know, I was clowning around per the usual.

You missed my point. If I wanted to give examples of good players larry coached up, I would've tossed in a little mobley and gold/williams.

Sykes and Spragan were both UDFAs that played some solid football sheerly on the basis of well coached fundamentals and smart play.

I hear you Rev, I think Coyer's a fantastic LB coach and a very underrated DC.

HILife
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
This is one of the most delicious bowls of irony I have ever tasted.

i have to say this irony is really funny.

Inkana7
01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
I bet you Reggie Wayne just **** his pants laughing.

azbroncfan
01-22-2009, 04:21 PM
So much for those rumors that Caldwell wanted to get away from the Cover 2 :)

Why would he change the whole D when they already built for the cover 2?

strafen
01-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Anybody still wondering how Mike lost his job need read no further than this :(Having gotten rid of Coyer makes you wonder what would've been. The guy was fired clearly as the scapegoat. He was a fine defensive coach for the Broncos. Best one we've had since Collier

theAPAOps5
01-22-2009, 05:37 PM

Sykes was a beast at CU. He was in my freshman class. They guy was super talented. Its a shame he hurt his neck. He was never the same after that.

broncosteven
01-22-2009, 06:21 PM
... I loved his pipe, too. It was so old school, good ol' boy.

My Grandfather smoked a pipe. Prince Albert in a can.

My grandparents had seperate bed rooms because of it.

He went from Cigs to the pipe. Pipes are a lot of work, if he wasn't smoking it he was cleaning it. I asked him once why he kept it so clean, you have to or the oxygen will not be drawn into the bowl and no smoke.

It was always cool when I would walk over to their house and smell the pipe in the garage and know that he was in there overhauling one of his 2 lawnmowers or tinkering on something.

Gramps, you are missed...