PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels hires younger brother and another assistant

montrose
01-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Broncos' McDaniels hires younger brother

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continued to fill out his staff Wednesday, adding younger brother Ben McDaniels and Jay Rodgers as assistant coaches.

Ben McDaniels, 28, will coach his first season in the NFL after he was in charge of quarterbacks at Massillon Jackson High School in Ohio last year. He played quarterback at Kent State from 1999-2001.

Rodgers, 32, will also enter his first NFL season after coaching nine seasons in the NCAA ranks. He most recently was Iowa State's wide receivers coach from 2007-08.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11520216

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/lombardi_trophy.jpg

crazyhorse
01-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Assistant what?

orinjkrush
01-21-2009, 05:43 PM
and the nepotism continues....

baja
01-21-2009, 05:49 PM
What's next renaming the Broncos the Buckeyes

SpringStein
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Was hoping that demon had been cast out when Shanahan left the building.

Ha!

Sodak
01-21-2009, 05:54 PM
A high school coach? WTF? I don't care what his name is. I call BS on that one!

He can be the head waterboy coach.

That sort of an approach is not going to instill a lot of confidence. I wonder if he has a little sister too?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Was hoping that demon had been cast out when Shanahan left the building.

Ha!

Assistant coaches without specific titles? Who cares. Let him bring his brother on.

Wes Mantooth
01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
High school coaches?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
High school coaches?

Someone needs to hold the headset wires (or are those wireless now)

elsid13
01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
They better be quality assistants and nothing more. Because what happens the first time one of them tells Champ how to play the position? Or tries to explain a passing tree to Cutler?

broncosteven
01-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Nepotism must not have been something that is exclusive to Shanny.

I never had a problem with it because they work so many hours and never get to see their family. If you can work with your brother/son more power to them.

montrose
01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
They better be quality assistants and nothing more. Because what happens the first time one of them tells Champ how to play the position? Or tries to explain a passing tree to Cutler?

I'm sure they're both quality control guys or interns. McDaniels got his start as a QC Coach I believe, so I imagine he'll try to keep one or two on the staff at all times.

broncofan7
01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Should I send McDaniels my resume? I was an assistant coach for my nephew's 8 year old pop warner team......Plus I won a fraternity Madden tournament in 1999.

snowspot66
01-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Just giving them low level coaching positions to get their foot in the door. Like a lot of industries the hardest part is getting in. Once your in it's up to you where you go with it.

Now I would be concerned if he put them in some position of importance or authority

theAPAOps5
01-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Seriously I can see bitching if he was named OC or DC or even a position coach. But I bet these guys are Quality Control coaches just getting their feet wet.

orinjkrush
01-21-2009, 06:17 PM
i'd like to see a really good regimental commander take over an nfl team.
we'd probably have some really out of the box strategies!
maybe like midget running backs. (apologies to the Oakland As)

montrose
01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels made another step in assembling his coaching staff for the 2009 season. On Wednesday the Broncos officially announced the hiring of three more assistant coaches.

Don Martindale will join the team as linebackers coach, and Ben McDaniels and Jay Rodgers will be a part of the staff as coaching assistants.

Martindale is a 23-year coaching veteran with experience as a college defensive coordinator and a coach on a Division 1-AA National Championship team. He spent the past five years as linebackers coach with the Oakland Raiders.

In 2008, Oakland ranked 10th against the pass. In 2007, two linebackers were first and second on the team in interceptions. In 2006, Martindale coached a unit that helped Oakland finish first in the NFL in pass defense and No. 3 in total defense.

Ben McDaniels enters his first season coaching in the NFL after coaching quarterbacks in 2008 at Massillon Jackson High School in Massillon, Ohio.

Ben, younger brother to Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels, also served as a graduate assistant under Glen Mason at the University of Minnesota in 2004 and 2005. With the Gophers, McDaniels assisted in coaching wide receivers in 2004 before working with the team’s secondary in 2005.

Rodgers enters his first NFL season after spending nine seasons coaching at the collegiate level. He was Iowa State University’s wide receivers coach from 2007 to 2008 after spending two seasons as the quarterbacks coach at Stephen F. Austin University. In 2004, Rodgers tutored quarterbacks at Missouri State University. He was a graduate assistant for Head Coach Nick Saban at Louisiana State University (2001-02) after interning at Ohio State University.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8799

orinjkrush
01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
got some charger coaches.
got some raider coaches.
did we get any chief coaches?
if you can't beat em, absorb them.

crazyhorse
01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
got some charger coaches.
got some raider coaches.
did we get any chief coaches?
if you can't beat em, absorb them.

You got our ST coach.

broncosteven
01-21-2009, 06:25 PM
You got our ST coach.

Was this the same guy who taught Vannover how to run drugs?

I was hoping they would find a way to buy out Dave Toub's contract from duh bears.

I don't remember KFC being any good at ST last couple of years. Did I miss something?

broncofan7
01-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Seriously I can see b****ing if he was named OC or DC or even a position coach. But I bet these guys are Quality Control coaches just getting their feet wet.

Question--if you were offerred a position as a gopher for the Broncos with a salary of $15K/yr but you knew that your wife would divorce you, would you take it? Or is that too much of a no brainer? Should I start a poll?

yerner
01-21-2009, 06:52 PM
ehh...at least his brother played at kent state. i imagine he knows football. don't think its all that bad even though i don't like mcdaniels all that much.

crazyhorse
01-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Was this the same guy who taught Vannover how to run drugs?

I was hoping they would find a way to buy out Dave Toub's contract from duh bears.

I don't remember KFC being any good at ST last couple of years. Did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything. Our ST were poor.

Wes Mantooth
01-21-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm sure they're both quality control guys or interns. McDaniels got his start as a QC Coach I believe, so I imagine he'll try to keep one or two on the staff at all times.

But a high school coach? Let me start over, a high school quarterbacks coach?

Lycan
01-21-2009, 07:05 PM
You didn't miss anything. Our ST were poor.

Maybe I'm incorrect here but weren't the Chiefs ST coverage units actually pretty good?

crazyhorse
01-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Maybe I'm incorrect here but weren't the Chiefs ST coverage units actually pretty good?

No

theAPAOps5
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Question--if you were offerred a position as a gopher for the Broncos with a salary of $15K/yr but you knew that your wife would divorce you, would you take it? Or is that too much of a no brainer? Should I start a poll?

Yes because if my wife would divorce me for chasing my dream she isn't worth it. And she isn't like that.

SoDak Bronco
01-21-2009, 07:34 PM
The good news is McDaniels didn't lead off with the hiring of his brother. He was at least thinking about bringing in some heavy hitters and then trying to sneak the bro in the back door.

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't have a problem with having some coaches just starting out in pros on roster. I also don't have a problem with a man wanting his son around.

It's all about how people carry themselves if I read the kid a punk and players hate I will have a problem.

If he is just a young man using a great opportunity to learn football from a class organization like Broncos are i don't have a problem.

Nepotism is a fact of life and I don't begrudge anyone from using it. I do think though it adds extra scrutiny to the son. He IMO has to work harder then any other coach.

BroncoInferno
01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
His first hires I am not fond of. Wish we knew what area they are going be in charge of. I guess to be optimistic McDaniels wants a balance of vets with young up-and-comers on the staff. I am OK with that as long as their responsibilities aren't too great.

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
His first hires I am not fond of. Wish we knew what area they are going be in charge of. I guess to be optimistic McDaniels wants a balance of vets with young up-and-comers on the staff. I am OK with that as long as their responsibilities aren't too great.

They won't be position coaches. I hope people understand these guy will be assistants to the coaching staff. They will help in many areas while learning from position coaches and the coordinaters.

Don't freak out you guys are over analyzing every move.

Broncos just need to find some better players and all will be well. The offense is going to be amazing you will all be happy.

Chris
01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
It's his brother CTD, same difference..

BroncoInferno
01-21-2009, 08:29 PM
They won't be position coaches. I hope people understand these guy will be assistants to the coaching staff. They will help in many areas while learning from position coaches and the coordinaters.

Don't freak out you guys are over analyzing every move.

Broncos just need to find some better players and all will be well. The offense is going to be amazing you will all be happy.

My thoughts as well. He seems to be going the experienced route so far on both sides of the ball, so I suspect these two will be in low level, "learning" type spots.

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
It's his brother CTD, same difference..

oh sorry yeah my bad I dont know what i was thinking lol. His son!!!!! he would be like 10 lol.

~Crash~
01-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Hell I hate my brother but if I get the Head coaching job of any were I would make him watter boy and pay him big bucks to do it . and you ****ers can kiss my assssssssssssssss

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
My thoughts as well. He seems to be going the experienced route so far on both sides of the ball, so I suspect these two will be in low level, "learning" type spots.

If you think about it, it's a very smart way of doing it. Some vet coaches, some new coaches, some vet players, some young players. It creates an environment of learning that is contagious.

You all know me I call it like I see it. I don't ever just say I think things will be great if I dont have reasons.

I think Broncos are headed in a good direction. They found 2 more bona fide starters last yr in Clady and Royal. Each yr lately they have found some good players at key positions. A couple more hits this yr, maybe a FA or 2 and Broncos will once again be better then last yr.

With a young coach, young key players, It may be another yr before I can say we are Superbowl contenders, but I do see that happening soon.

Mcdaniels is a great offensive play caller and came from a creative team.

Nolan has head coaching experience and has had some good defenses.

IMO special teams can only get better no matter who coaches.

Dennison and Turner staying I think is huge, it will help with transition, and help new coaches understand the players personalities much earlier then if the whole staff was gone.

Bowlen is going to spend some money and get some new talent. I predict at least 2 significant FA additions.

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Hell I hate my brother but if I get the Head coaching job of any were I would make him watter boy and pay him big bucks to do it . and you ****ers can kiss my assssssssssssssss

damn that sucks. I can't imagine what a bummer it would be to hate my brother.

~Crash~
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
damn that sucks. I can't imagine what a bummer it would be to hate my brother.

yes it does he hates me I guess I wish he did not so I guess I don't hate him ... he has never like me even when I was brought home as a Infant so he says ... I think he is ****ed up but what can i do about it ?

jhat01
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
The dude is probably going to be putting the pictures in the binders that the coaches/players look at between series. Not a big deal.

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
yes it does he hates me I guess I wish he did not so I guess I don't hate him ... he has never like me even when I was brought home as a Infant so he says ... I think he is ****ed up but what can i do about it ?

I don't have any advice really. If someone has hate in there heart I guess there is nothing you can really do. It takes 2 people to have a solid relationship.

I guess the thing to say would be try to find one area you have in common and try to spend some time together. If you can't get someone to spend time though then really they make impossible and I suppose you just move on and work on other relationships.

I'm lucky in that my family is really close.

Dagmar
01-21-2009, 10:09 PM
NEPOTISM IN DENVER (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/21/nepotism-in-denver/)

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2009, 9:44 p.m.
Ah, nepotism.
It’s as much a part of pro football (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) as the little streamers on the tops of the uprights.
New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is showing a knack for nepotism well beyond his 32 years.
On Wednesday, McDaniels added his younger brother, Ben, to the coaching staff (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11520216).
Most recently, Ben McDaniels, 28, was quarterbacks (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) coach at Massillon Jackson High School in Ohio.
McDaniels played quarterback at Kent State from 1999 through 2001.
We’re amazed, frankly, that NFL teams don’t have policies against nepotism. Then again, since many NFL teams are family-owned businesses in which nepotism exists in the front office, it’s probably difficult for owners who have given employment to family members to balk at coaches who want to do the same thing.
In Denver, for example, it’s hard to expect Josh McDaniels not to hire his brother when Jim and Jeff Goodman are running the front office.
In Detroit, where the whole nepotism thing came to a head last month after former Detroit News columnist Rob Parker rode head coach Rod Marinelli about his reluctance to fire his son-in-law, defensive coordinator Joe Barry, how could ownership have prevented Barry from being hired when William Clay Ford Sr. and his son, Bill Ford, Jr. are running the team?
Ditto in San Fran, where coach Mike Singletary recently hired his nephew, Vantz. Given that ownership is a three-headed operation involving father, mother, and son (Dr. York, Denise DeBartolo York, and Jed York), what were they going to say to a head coach who wants to keep a little of it in the family?
That said, a head coach needs to be careful. Nepotism in a coaching staff is dangerous because, sometimes, assistant coaches need to be fired. But there was no way Marinelli would have fired Barry, just as there’s no way McDaniels will fire his brother.
So by taking a chance that he’ll be hanging onto a family member who might otherwise need to be fired, the head coach could be taking a needless risk with his own job security.

Alright Mike.

BroncoMan4ever
01-21-2009, 10:33 PM
What's next renaming the Broncos the Buckeyes

that will be answered in April depending on whether or not we draft Wells in the 1st.

strafen
01-21-2009, 10:41 PM
What a bunch of morons you all are. Get the facts, then make an educated post of what these hirings are all about, and what is it they're supposed to do. Idiots!!!

Dagmar
01-21-2009, 10:47 PM
What a bunch of morons you all are. Get the facts, then make an educated post of what these hirings are all about, and what is it they're supposed to do. Idiots!!!

You're precious.

69 dude!

http://www.canadianshakespeares.ca/essays/images/BillTed3.jpg

strafen
01-21-2009, 10:56 PM
You're precious.

69 dude!

http://www.canadianshakespeares.ca/essays/images/BillTed3.jpg
4 more useless posts, and you'll be at 8,000 posts!!!
Congratulations. You've made it big!!! ROFL!

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 10:59 PM

We've had good luck and bad luck with nepotism ... the Widell brothers were great, and while the Bates father-and-son team kinda crashed and burned, we're scoring HUGE with the Goodman father-and-son combo. Champ and Boss is too early to tell.

Dagmar
01-21-2009, 11:04 PM

is 43 your age, or your IQ? :thumbsup:

Did you get your medicine today?
Do you miss leg humping shanny?

No way, last time I've heard, all the Internet GM's had Shanny going to the Bucs, and then to KC, at one point he was heading to Indy, but don't know what happened there
Damn! all these internet GM's...

How old are you all posting here?
Just curious... ugh!~ ]

Love your work! ROFL! As you would so eloquently put it. :kiss:

strafen
01-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Love your work! ROFL! As you would so eloquently put it. :kiss:One more worthless post, and you'll be at 8,000. Come on, you can do it!!! LOL

At the 8,000-post level, you will be given the title of "online stalker" ROFL!

Popps
01-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Younger brother?!? What is he, 12?

Bob's your Information Minister
01-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Ben McDaniels, 28, will coach his first season in the NFL after he was in charge of quarterbacks at Massillon Jackson High School in Ohio last year. He played quarterback at Kent State from 1999-2001.

What a ****ty hire.

Dedhed
01-22-2009, 04:19 AM

Everything to do with the Chiefs has been poor the last few years, and like every other Chiefs coach, he's been trying to mold runny turd into a Picasso.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 04:55 AM
:spit:

There's quite a few significantly more qualified people on this message board. Let's hope they're fast learners that are eager to help.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Yes because if my wife would divorce me for chasing my dream she isn't worth it. And she isn't like that.

I'd definitely smack you in the head for taking such a low paying job and performing menial tasks way beneath you, even if it was in Denver!

snowspot66
01-22-2009, 05:40 AM
What a ****ty hire.

At least we didn't trade draft picks for him.

clint7
01-22-2009, 06:13 AM
I hear he's bringing in his mom to be the team seamstress.

Dedhed
01-22-2009, 06:25 AM
:spit:

There's quite a few significantly more qualified people on this message board. Let's hope they're fast learners that are eager to help.

More qualified at what, exactly? Carrying playbooks, setting out cones, blowing a whistle to start a drill. The "coaches assistant" is a zero in terms of real responsibility.

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 06:36 AM
Why don't we find out what he was hired to do. This is no different than former players who are hired as defensive or offensive assistants. They have an empty resume and need to learn how a team is run.

rad
01-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Why don't we find out what he was hired to do. This is no different than former players who are hired as defensive or offensive assistants. They have an empty resume and need to learn how a team is run.

Wurd.

Kaylore
01-22-2009, 06:49 AM
So here's the E-mail the Broncos sent me.

Dear Khan,
http://web1.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/Top%20Stories/2009/martindale_gi_090121.jpg
The Denver Broncos on Wednesday announced the hiring of three assistant coaches, including Don Martindale as linebackers coach. The club also announced the hiring of Ben McDaniels and Jay Rodgers as coaching assistants.

Martindale joins the Broncos as their linebackers coach after five seasons in the same role with the Oakland Raiders. Under Martindale’s tutelage, the Raiders placed 10th against the pass in 2008.

McDaniels enters his first season coaching in the NFL after coaching quarterbacks in 2008 at Massillon Jackson High School in Massillon, Ohio. McDaniels, the younger brother of Head Coach Josh McDaniels.

Rodgers enters his first NFL season after spending nine seasons coaching at the collegiate level. He was Iowa State University’s wide receivers coach after spending two seasons as the quarterbacks coach at Stephen F. Austin University.

For the full story click here
For those of you who don't know, coaching assistants are to the NFL what production assistants are to the film industry; They're minions.

Basically they are there as paid gophers who get to learn. There is nothing "scary" about this at all.

Man-Goblin
01-22-2009, 06:51 AM

For those of you who don't know, coaching assistants are to the NFL what production assistants are to the film industry; They're minions.

Basically they are there as paid gophers who get to learn. There is nothing "scary" about this at all.

Don't they usually call them quality control coaches? I think this is how Kyle Shanahan got started in Tampa, and what Keith Burns was last year.

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 06:51 AM
More qualified at what, exactly? Carrying playbooks, setting out cones, blowing a whistle to start a drill. The "coaches assistant" is a zero in terms of real responsibility.

Yet places like the combine and senior bowl are packed full of extremely qualified coaches that need work and would love the opportunity of even just being an assistant to show case some of their skills.

Dedhed
01-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Yet places like the combine and senior bowl are packed full of extremely qualified coaches that need work and would love the opportunity of even just being an assistant to show case some of their skills.
The combine and Senior Bowls are not packed with qualified coaches willing to do crappy work for next to nothing. That's like saying Wall Street is packed with former CEOs who would love the opportunity to be interns again.

Just false.

HooptyHoops
01-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Younger brother?!? What is he, 12?

LOL ROFL! Made me laugh!

TheReverend
01-22-2009, 07:43 AM
The combine and Senior Bowls are not packed with qualified coaches willing to do crappy work for next to nothing. That's like saying Wall Street is packed with former CEOs who would love the opportunity to be interns again.

Just false.

Okay...

So are they showing up to take a break from their phone ringing off the hook with offers to these very finite positions?

And your comparison is absurd. One group needs work and money, the other pays an absurd amount higher with parachute clauses in their contracts.

no-pseudo-fan
01-22-2009, 08:01 AM

How much are they paid? Where do I sign up?

WyoLaw
01-22-2009, 08:29 AM

The NFL is run off nepotism. As are a lot of companies in the US. Well all know it's not what you know, it's rather who you know. Hell, if my brother was the coach I'd hope he'd hire me. HA!! It's just the way of the world. Live with it.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-22-2009, 09:07 AM
where all the haters crying "croony"?

Taco John
01-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I hear he's bringing in his mom to be the team seamstress.

His mom is going to crochet our Home jerseys for next season. It's the big suprise that Oskie was telling us about. ;)

Taco John
01-22-2009, 09:23 AM

Not scary no... But plenty of funny to milk out of it though... ;)

cutthemdown
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
What a ****ty hire.

dude he's a coaching assistant what's the big deal? It's not like he's a position coach. You really are an idiot. By the way get ready for Herm Edwards of the Pioli era.

theAPAOps5
01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I'd definitely smack you in the head for taking such a low paying job and performing menial tasks way beneath you, even if it was in Denver!

Thats a good point. But if I was given an opportunity that was a stepping stone I would jump on it. I have actually sent my resume to Bowlen offering to be a logistics coordinator for the teams travel needs both charter and private. As that is my area of expertise.

I know its a good idea because I haven't heard anything yet so he obviously hasn't said no!

And yes I know they have a staff member that does that!

bronco militia
01-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Thats a good point. But if I was given an opportunity that was a stepping stone I would jump on it. I have actually sent my resume to Bowlen offering to be a logistics coordinator for the teams travel needs both charter and private. As that is my area of expertise.

I know its a good idea because I haven't heard anything yet so he obviously hasn't said no!

And yes I know they have a staff member that does that!

Ha! Ha!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

theAPAOps5
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
You read my mind!

bronco militia
01-23-2009, 06:58 AM
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/drew/DREW012309.gif

Dedhed
01-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Okay...

So are they showing up to take a break from their phone ringing off the hook with offers to these very finite positions?

And your comparison is absurd. One group needs work and money, the other pays an absurd amount higher with parachute clauses in their contracts.

NO ONE with NFL coaching experience is looking for a position as a "coach's assistant". NO ONE.

TheReverend
01-23-2009, 09:09 AM
NO ONE with NFL coaching experience is looking for a position as a "coach's assistant". NO ONE.

I suppose you're right. Welfare checks maintain pride better than gainful employment.