PDA

View Full Version : What are the NFL's long-term plans for a developmental league?

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 01:28 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of NFL Europe, but would like to see the NFL get a new developmental league in the works.

Does it seem far fetched to think the NFL could start a spring developmental league played in 32 venues across the country? Pattern it after the farm system in hockey and baseball.

-Every NFL team will have their own affiliate

- The affiliates be will be played in a city or community within a football team's territorial rights. Lets say Denver has their developmental team in Laramie (Wyoming Mustangs?), Colorado Springs, Boulder or suburban Denver town.

- What if the Broncos' affiliate had similar colors and logo (Wyoming Mustangs) to Denver? A cooler looking Crush uniform. Would you support and follow the team religiously?

snowspot66
01-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I think a league like that could work. Place the teams properly and people will support them. With leagues like those it's about the experience of going and not the team on the field.

Beantown Bronco
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I heard on the light rail awhile back that Travis Henry was put in charge of populating the entire future development league with his offspring.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't really see a need for it. i dunno

Blart
01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
American Football can't catch on in the rest of the world because "American" is in the title.

As long as they keep it in the states, it's a good idea.

Taco John
01-21-2009, 01:42 PM
You think the NFL is going to field a succesful development league in this economic environment?

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
You think the NFL is going to field a succesful development league in this economic environment?

I was talking about the long-term. It's in the NFL's long-term best interests to field a developmental league.

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Well it could give lower income fans a chance to go to games. Sometimes budget entertainment works in tough times.

For sure any minor league football would be cheaper then going to Inveseco.

FantomForce
01-21-2009, 02:06 PM
There plan is simply this "FAIL!" just like NFL Europe did

BigPlayShay
01-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I would think it could gain some support, but not sure about it in the current economy. I think the teams would have to be located in the region that the Pro team is located.

Another thing that it could force the league to do is make referees full time / year round.

montrose
01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
I was talking about the long-term. It's in the NFL's long-term best interests to field a developmental league.

I think the NFL is happy right now just picking up guys who develop in other leagues without financing their own. It's just not very profitable, IMO. We can make the argument that developing more stars would generate money, or that the costs of a developmental league would be low so the potential to turn a profit is there - but at this point I think the league would rather focus on strengthening it's 32 franchises before creating a developmental project.

Garcia Bronco
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM

Exactly. Watch what happens in the next CBA. There are going to be some butt hurt players when NFL salaries go down along with the salary cap.

Taco John
01-21-2009, 02:50 PM
It's in the NFL's long-term best interests to field a developmental league.

I'm not sure I even believe that. Why haven't they done it by now if that's the case?

elsid13
01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
What do you think college football is for?

supermanhr9
01-21-2009, 03:03 PM
What do you think college football is for?

Exactly! There are so many kids coming out of college that are ready to play, there is no need for the developmental league, it would be a step-down from the college game.

I dunno, maybe Travis Henry, Mike Vick, Pac-Man and Chris Henry can all get together and start a league, here's a name for it "The A.P.L, The American Prison League".

Maybe you should stop posting for a littlw while, you've had a tough day, maybe start again next week.

supermanhr9
01-21-2009, 03:05 PM

The NFL'S best interest? Huh? It's a multi-billion dollar league, with absolutely no competition. They own everything and dominate ratings, they don't have to do anything, except continuing to help stimulate the economy by their million dollar donations every year.

GoHAM
01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
The NFL already has a farm system and it's called the NCAA. The only leagues that have farm systems, baseball and hockey are there because those college sports suck, in part because the farm systems are in place.

Although I do like the idea of having some type of post-NCAA development league, I don't think a league w/ 32 teams would be feasible, maybe a 16 team league where 2 NFL franchises share costs for the operations of one farm team, 1 AFC team and 1 NFC team together own each farm team. Plus I don't truly believe that there are nearly 1700 (53*32) borderline NFL players out there who just need a little more development time to become NFL level players.

Probably won't ever happen, but I'd pay to see the Wyoming Mustangs.

BroncoMan4ever
01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
i think a Development league of about 8 teams would be good. but i can't see every franchise having a developmental league. a team could hold the rights to certain players in the D-League for if or when they want to bring them up to the pro game. It could be composed of teams Practice Squad players. that tends to be the main problem with Practice Squad players, they are raw and need more game experience which they could get in the development league.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't like that some drafted players and UDFAs get one three-week look in camp and they are dumped out on the street. They don't have a chance to develop their game.

NFL Europe wasn't a total loss. Three Super Bowl QBs (Warner, Delhomme, Brad Johnson) honed their skills in that circuit.

With the Arena League going under for '09, there's now less leagues for players to develop their skills after their initial NFL rejection.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I think we should develop a system where when people graduate from highschool they can develop at the collegiate level for up to 5 years.

Then, we can work in a system where the teams pick the players... but to be fair we'll organize it by record and let the worst teams pick first.

Everyone who doesn't make it can continue to develop their skills in local grocery stores.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
The NFL'S best interest? Huh? It's a multi-billion dollar league, with absolutely no competition. They own everything and dominate ratings, they don't have to do anything, except continuing to help stimulate the economy by their million dollar donations every year.

It's a way to generate additional revenue during the dead period of the offseason. And invest more time into players that could help football teams.

Like cutthemdown said, bargain prices would allow many football fans who are priced out of the NFL to attend professional games.

The NFL doesn't have to foot the entire bill. They can sell the developmental clubs to ownership groups. Let them operate the business side, while the NFL provides the players.

boltaneer
01-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Well, we could turn the AFC West into a developmental league. :clown:

theAPAOps5
01-21-2009, 05:22 PM
They have one its called the NCAA

Arkie
01-21-2009, 05:40 PM
It makes sense in other sports when the active roster is like 12 men or even 25, but the NFL teams can fit most of their developmental players on their own rosters and practice squads.

lazarus4444
01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I think an NFL Minor League system would ROCK! I know the NFL is the strongest sport in America right now but it never hurts to get stronger. One of the reasons baseball is still loved is because of their minor leauge system. I love the idea of a NFL Minor League system. I remember the commish mentioning it in an interview as something they'd like to do also, i'll try to get the link.

chaz
01-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Exactly! There are so many kids coming out of college that are ready to play, there is no need for the developmental league, it would be a step-down from the college game.

I dunno, maybe Travis Henry, Mike Vick, Pac-Man and Chris Henry can all get together and start a league, here's a name for it "The A.P.L, The American Prison League".

Maybe you should stop posting for a littlw while, you've had a tough day, maybe start again next week.

There are also a lot of kids coming out of college that are NOT ready, but could be with another year or two...A development league would still have a bottleneck effect with talent coming from the college ranks with SOO many kids graduating each year.

Killericon
01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
You couldn't run it during the offseason...Players who participated in the league would be out of steam by preseason, and if not, they certainly wouldn't make it through the season.