PDA

View Full Version : The All-Shanny Teams

montrose
01-21-2009, 01:32 PM
So I'm bored and decided to come up with my All-Shanny squad. This is the team of the best Broncos ever brought in by Coach Shanahan. In fairness, we also have the All-Bust Shanny Teams below. Again this only refers to players acquired by Mike during his tenure. I'm sure I missed some so I hope the Mane can help me out there.

The All-Shanny Drafted Team
QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Terrell Davis
FB: Peyton Hillis
WR: Brandon Marshall
WR: Eddie Royal
TE: Tony Scheffler
OT: Ryan Clady
OT: Ryan Harris
OG: Dan Neil
OG: Chris Kuper
C: Ben Hamilton

DE: Reggie Hayward
DE: Elvis Dumervil
DT: Trevor Pryce
DT: Marcus Thomas
OLB: DJ Williams
MLB: Al Wilson
OLB: John Mobley
CB: Darrent Williams
CB: Domonique Foxworth
S: Kenoy Kennedy
S: Sam Brandon

The All-Shanny Free Agency/Trade Team
QB: Jake Plummer
RB: Michael Pittman
FB: Howard Griffith
WR: Ed McCaffrey
WR: Brandon Stokley
TE: Daniel Graham
OT: Matt Lepsis
OT: Tony Jones
OG: Mark Schlereth
OG: Montae Holland
C: Casey Wiegmann

DE: Neil Smith
DE: Bert Berry
DT: Chester McGlockton
DT: Keith Traylor
OLB: Wesley Woodyard
MLB: Glenn Cadrez
OLB: Bill Romanowski
CB: Champ Bailey
CB: Dre' Bly
S: John Lynch
S: Nick Ferguson

The All-Shanny Drafted Bust Team
QB: Bradlee Van Pelt
RB: Maurice Clarett
FB: Brandon Miree
WR: Marcus Nash
WR: Travis McGriff
TE: Justin Swift
OT: George Foster
OT: Jamie Brown
OG: Lennie Friedman
OG: Chris Banks
C: Ben Claxton

DE: Paul Toviessi
DE: Tim Crowder
DT: Jerry Johnson
DT: Dorsett Davis
OLB: Phil Yeboah-Kodie
MLB: Terry Pierce
OLB: Ken Brown
CB: Willie Middlebrooks
CB: Chris Watson
S: Darwin Brown
S: Eric Brown

The All-Shanny Free Agency/Trade Bust Team
QB: Patrick Ramsey
RB: Travis Henry
FB: Tony Carter
WR: Eddie Kennison
WR: Keary Colbert
TE: Jed Weaver
OT: Adam Meadows
OT: Blake Brockermeyer
OG: Heath Irwin
OG: Dylan Gandy
C: KC Jones

DE: Simeon Rice
DE: Leon Lett
DT: Daryl Gardener
DT: Sam Adams
OLB: Ian Gold
MLB: Niko Koutouvides
OLB: Boss Bailey
CB: Dale Carter
CB: Kelly Herndon
S: Marquand Manual
S: Izell Reese

Taco John
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
My God you're bored! Ha!

Broncomutt
01-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Wow, Dre Bly over Darrien Gordon?

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Very good list. Not very many controversial selections.

Here's one I disagree with though:

FOR THE DRAFTED TEAM

Deltha O'Neal and Tory James were better cornerbacks (even during the time they played in Denver) than Dominique Foxworth.

montrose
01-21-2009, 01:38 PM
My God you're bored! Ha!

You have no idea, I've been making calls for work all day - and doing this in between.

Wow, Dre Bly over Darrien Gordon.

Yeah I thought about it for a while. I went with Bly because I think he's at-least played as well as Gordon did with no-pass rush and under Slowik's coaching while Gordon benefited from Robinson's blitz-happy scheme and Donatell's superior position coaching. I'd have no reservations going the other way though.

Here's one I disagree with though:

FOR THE DRAFTED TEAM

Deltha O'Neal and Tory James were better cornerbacks (even during the time they played in Denver) than Dominique Foxworth.

Good point. I suppose I gravitated to Foxworth because he played here longer but O'Neal and James did have their moments.

no-pseudo-fan
01-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I could roll with this team. Just need to upgrade the secondary.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I am not so sure Keary Colbert was a bust. With the depth last training camp, it was hard to expect much of an impact from him.

Guys like Andre Reed and Robert Brooks brought higher expectations in the 3rd WR role and didn't deliver.

tsiguy96
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
how is patrick ramsey on the all bust team when he was brought in as a backup?

TonyR
01-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I am not so sure Keary Colbert was a bust.

He was. They overpaid for a guy nobody wanted, outbidding only themselves, and then he couldn't even stick with Seattle and they had warm bodies at the position. Bust. And I find it troubling that I was certain he'd be a bust the minute I saw the signing hit the wire. I shouldn't know more than the FO.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
He was. They overpaid for a guy nobody wanted, outbidding only themselves, and then he couldn't even stick with Seattle and they had warm bodies at the position. Bust. And I find it troubling that I was certain he'd be a bust the minute I saw the signing hit the wire. I shouldn't know more than the FO.

In April you will be loving that fifth round pick Seattle gift wrapped for Denver. There's no reason to complain about that move now. Seahawks fans are the ones who are pissed.

Kaylore
01-21-2009, 01:55 PM

He might be the worst backup we've had in a long time. For the price, he's a huge bust.

montrose
01-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I am not so sure Keary Colbert was a bust. With the depth last training camp, it was hard to expect much of an impact from him.

Guys like Andre Reed and Robert Brooks brought higher expectations in the 3rd WR role and didn't deliver.

Reed and Brooks didn't get bonuses, Colbert did. The fact he netted a draft pick is nice - but that doesn't change that Shanny thought Colbert was going to be our #2 WR this year.

I couldn't think of another QB we brought in that failed and what he was brought in to do more than Ramsey. Plummer was the only FA QB we brought in as a starter and he was mildly successful with a Pro Bowl season, AFC Title Game Birth, Division Title, a few playoff trips and even some team records. Beuerlein, Frerotte, Kanell and Ramsey were brought in as backups and Ramsey was by far the worst of those guys in his limited action.

tsiguy96
01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
He might be the worst backup we've had in a long time. For the price, he's a huge bust.

exactly, hes a BACKUP. no way hes the worst qb shanny has ever had, thats just stupid to compare him to the likes of any post elway pre plummer QBs.

Peoples Champ
01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
My God you're bored! Ha!

Yep, but I still love the list, makes me laugh.

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Brian Habib on the all FA team over Holland for sure.

montrose
01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
exactly, hes a BACKUP. no way hes the worst qb shanny has ever had, thats just stupid to compare him to the likes of any post elway pre plummer QBs.

Well what QB that Shanny signed or traded for was worse than Ramsey? I had to put someone in there...

Brian Habib on the all FA team over Holland for sure.

Habib was signed before Shanny took over.

dbfan21
01-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Where's Tom Nalen on this "good guy" list?

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Matt Mauck over BVP. BVP did score @ KC :)

montrose
01-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Where's Tom Nalen on this "good guy" list?

Shanny didn't draft him.

Matt Mauck over BVP. BVP did score @ KC :)

Yeah I was torn between BVP, Jeff Lewis, Matt Mauck and Jarious Jackson. I went with BVP because I thought he was funniest. LOL

bombquixote
01-21-2009, 02:09 PM
On the bright side, the offseason only lasts seven more months.

tsiguy96
01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Well what QB that Shanny signed or traded for was worse than Ramsey? I had to put someone in there...

Habib was signed before Shanny took over.

darrel hackney? there are a ton of QBs worse then him, if you are gonna make a worst of list it should be of players who are/were starters. if its gonna be all backups/non starters then i can include nearly everyone who never made it out of training camp and stayed out of football.

TonyR
01-21-2009, 02:12 PM
In April you will be loving that fifth round pick Seattle gift wrapped for Denver. There's no reason to complain about that move now. Seahawks fans are the ones who are pissed.

I'm good with getting the pick for a worthless player, but I can guarantee you they didn't sign Colbert and give him a bonus intending to trade him for a 5th round draft pick.

tsiguy96
01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm good with getting the pick for a worthless player, but I can guarantee you they didn't sign Colbert and give him a bonus intending to trade him for a 5th round draft pick.

who cares, we got a 5th round pick out of a backup WR.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Shanny didn't draft him.

Yeah I was torn between BVP, Jeff Lewis, Matt Mauck and Jarious Jackson. I went with BVP because I thought he was funniest. LOL

JJ can't qualify, he got some safety reps!

SoDak Bronco
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Why isn't Zimmerman on your ALL-SHanny trade/FA list, didn't he trade for him in 95?**nevermind, he came in 93, mybad

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Serendipity.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Reed and Brooks didn't get bonuses, Colbert did. The fact he netted a draft pick is nice - but that doesn't change that Shanny thought Colbert was going to be our #2 WR this year.

The bonus was chump change by NFL standards.

Denver's investment in Colbert was justified. The retirement of Rod Smith and release of Javon Walker forced Denver to bring in a lot of depth and play the odds with more bodies. Entering training camp last July, WR spots #2-5 were all up for competition. Losing out to Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley and Darrell Jackson is hardly a knock on Colbert.

STBumpkin
01-21-2009, 02:46 PM
For the FA/Trade team, Rod Smith has got to be over Stokely.

BroncoFiend
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Shouldn't Rod Smith be on the FA/Trade list, instead of Stokley?

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Forget seventh rounder Bradlee Van Pelt, Jeff Lewis was the biggest bust at QB. He actually had talent, expectations of him and was paid handsomely by Carolina to be their Gen. Zod of the future.

STBumpkin
01-21-2009, 02:53 PM

Haha, Beat ya to it.

2KBack
01-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Rod Smith was a Wade Phillips aquisition

rovolution
01-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Alfred Williams over Bert Berry on the FA success team (Alfred was a Pro Bowl starter and 1st team all pro in 1996 and brought that needed pass rush which helped Denver to its first world championship) .

Michael Dean Perry (say what you want about his laziness in the J-Ville game but he was a dominant tackle for us in 1995-1996 and made the Pro Bowl as a Bronco in 1996) over Chester McGlockton on the FA success team.

Tyrone Braxton (he was brought back by Shanny as a FA in 1995 and made the pro bowl in 1996 and led the league that year with 9 picks) over Fergeson on the FA success team.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Not busts- any 2nd day draft pick. These guys aren't expected to be starters, that's why they were drafted on the 2nd day. You can't have 2nd day busts.

So that eliminates- BVP, Miree, Swift, Jamie Brown (dude was traded for a 2nd after starting here anyway, who cares what he did elsewhere?), Banks, Claxton, Jerry, Johnson, Yeboah-Kodie, Ken Brown, Darwin Brown

Others:
Foster- sorry, despite his rep on this board, he started for 3 straight years, including a 13-3 team, RT was not an issue on those teams. Was never the LT people hoped he would be, but he was drafted at #20 and did fine when he played.

Eric Brown- was starting as a rookie no a 14-2 SB Champion. He played well in his time here, he left when his rookie contract was up. That's not a knock on Shanahan.

FAs
The OL- none of those guys were brought in to be starters
Kelly Herndon

Hercules Rockefeller
01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Forget seventh rounder Bradlee Van Pelt, Jeff Lewis was the biggest bust at QB. He actually had talent, expectations of him and was paid handsomely by Carolina to be their Gen. Zod of the future.

He was a 4th round pick that Shanahan netted 2 picks out of, one being a very high 3rd and I think the second was a high 4th. Who cares what he did in Carolina? Shanahan traded him for more than it took to get him, great job.

Florida_Bronco
01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Just a heads up...Darwin Brown was a corner.

Rock Chalk
01-21-2009, 03:19 PM
So I'm bored and decided to come up with my All-Shanny squad. This is the team of the best Broncos ever brought in by Coach Shanahan. In fairness, we also have the All-Bust Shanny Teams below. Again this only refers to players acquired by Mike during his tenure. I'm sure I missed some so I hope the Mane can help me out there.

The All-Shanny Free Agency/Trade Team
QB: Jake Plummer
RB: Michael Pittman
FB: Howard Griffith
WR: Ed McCaffrey
WR: Brandon Stokley
TE: Daniel Graham
OT: Matt Lepsis
OT: Tony Jones
OG: Mark Schlereth
OG: Montae Holland
C: Casey Wiegmann

DE: Neil Smith
DE: Bert Berry
DT: Chester McGlockton
DT: Keith Traylor
OLB: Wesley Woodyard
MLB: Glenn Cadrez
OLB: Bill Romanowski
CB: Champ Bailey
CB: Dre' Bly
S: John Lynch
S: Nick Ferguson

Didnt Shanahan draft pick Rod Smith up as a UFA? Pretty sure he did and his omission if that is the case is grounds for expulsion from Bronco Nation.

Also, not to nitpick here but Shanny didnt draft the last three drafts, the Goodmans did so Cutler shouldnt be on there, Griese should.

montrose
01-21-2009, 03:19 PM
The bonus was chump change by NFL standards.

Denver's investment in Colbert was justified. The retirement of Rod Smith and release of Javon Walker forced Denver to bring in a lot of depth and play the odds with more bodies. Entering training camp last July, WR spots #2-5 were all up for competition. Losing out to Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley and Darrell Jackson is hardly a knock on Colbert.

Colbert hadn't played well since his rookie season. No one else we know of was competing with us to sign him.

darrel hackney? there are a ton of QBs worse then him, if you are gonna make a worst of list it should be of players who are/were starters. if its gonna be all backups/non starters then i can include nearly everyone who never made it out of training camp and stayed out of football.

I think you guys are taking the list a bit too seriously. I was clowning around more than anything. No real investment was put in Hackney, however Ramsey was expected to give us a very dependable backup - which was not the case.

For the FA/Trade team, Rod Smith has got to be over Stokely.
Didnt Shanahan draft pick Rod Smith up as a UFA? Pretty sure he did and his omission if that is the case is grounds for expulsion from Bronco Nation.

See 2kBack's post, Rod was picked up before Shanny took over. No expulsion for me.

See Herc's post, and again - BVP is just funnier.

Alfred Williams over Bert Berry on the FA success team (Alfred was a Pro Bowl starter and 1st team all pro in 1996 and brought that needed pass rush which helped Denver to its first world championship) .

Michael Dean Perry (say what you want about his laziness in the J-Ville game but he was a dominant tackle for us in 1995-1996 and made the Pro Bowl as a Bronco in 1996) over Chester McGlockton on the FA success team.

Tyrone Braxton (he was brought back by Shanny as a FA in 1995 and made the pro bowl in 1996 and led the league that year with 9 picks) over Fergeson on the FA success team.

I went back and forth on Al vs. Bert, I went with Bert but could've one either way. I forgot about MDP, I could've gone with him over Chester although Chester was an underrated part of our reasonably effective run defense for a few years. I didn't go with Braxton for the same reason I didn't go with Sharpe as a FA, seeing they were both with the Broncos previously. Seeing I put Ian Gold on the Bust FA team for his signing in 2005 - I should be beaten with spoons :)

Not busts- any 2nd day draft pick. These guys aren't expected to be starters, that's why they were drafted on the 2nd day. You can't have 2nd day busts.

So that eliminates- BVP, Miree, Swift, Jamie Brown (dude was traded for a 2nd after starting here anyway, who cares what he did elsewhere?), Banks, Claxton, Jerry, Johnson, Yeboah-Kodie, Ken Brown, Darwin Brown

Others:
Foster- sorry, despite his rep on this board, he started for 3 straight years, including a 13-3 team, RT was not an issue on those teams. Was never the LT people hoped he would be, but he was drafted at #20 and did fine when he played.

Eric Brown- was starting as a rookie no a 14-2 SB Champion. He played well in his time here, he left when his rookie contract was up. That's not a knock on Shanahan.

FAs
The OL- none of those guys were brought in to be starters
Kelly Herndon

I agree with a lot of this Herc, again I was just bored looking for some fun. I had to put some of those guys on there to simply fill out the roster.

Just a heads up...Darwin Brown was a corner.

Yeah I know, but I needed a S so it seemed close enough :)

Punisher
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Ian Gold was a good player but had a bad last two years with denver

Rock Chalk
01-21-2009, 03:23 PM
My mistake Montrose. Was certain Rod was picked up in Shanny's first year. Its the first time Ive ever been wrong so, bookmark it.

montrose
01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
My mistake Montrose. Was certain Rod was picked up in Shanny's first year. Its the first time Ive ever been wrong so, bookmark it.

Haha, no problem.

tsiguy96
01-21-2009, 03:39 PM
this post is ridiculous. making an all pro team is easy enough, making an all bust team is downright stupid. all bust team: every player who didnt make it through training camp. you guys putting players who actually started for an extended period of time is dumb, they got farther then the majority of NFL players do.

2KBack
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
this post is ridiculous. making an all pro team is easy enough, making an all bust team is downright stupid. all bust team: every player who didnt make it through training camp. you guys putting players who actually started for an extended period of time is dumb, they got farther then the majority of NFL players do.

http://www.meanmyspacegraphics.com/graphics/take_a_chill_pill.jpg

rovolution
01-21-2009, 04:57 PM

its the offseason for the Broncos man. you are going to see topics like this when there is no real Broncos news to report on so calm down.

listopencil
01-21-2009, 05:20 PM

That should be,"...ever been wrong, so bookmark it."

Second time now.

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Sheesh, montrose ... Ramsey is the worse QB Shanny ever signed?! ROFL!

The Patrick Ramsey haters here crack me up so much .... I wonder exactly how much money I'm owed from guys here who bet me this year AND last - guys who SWORE that Ramsey would be cut in favor of Darryl-freaking-Hackney? :~ohyah!:

Haven't I taught you guys anything?

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Sheesh, montrose ... Ramsey is the worse QB Shanny ever signed?! ROFL!

The Patrick Ramsey haters here crack me up so much .... I wonder exactly how much money I'm owed from guys here who bet me this year AND last - guys who SWORE that Ramsey would be cut in favor of Darryl-freaking-Hackney? :~ohyah!:

Haven't I taught you guys anything?

Absolutely not. :welcome:

B-Love
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Hell I think Beuerlein should deserve some consideration for FA bust team.

I would go with Lewis over BVP for sure, but Beuerlein sucked major ass here. He was over the hill and just terrible.

B-Love
01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Agree with the guy who says Michael Dean Perry should get the FA nod over McSlopton. Chester did OK while he was here I guess.

Hell I'd give Jumpy Geathers' incredible year of Forklift Destruction in 96 some FA Shanny team consideration.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Hell I think Beuerlein should deserve some consideration for FA bust team.

I would go with Lewis over BVP for sure, but Beuerlein sucked major ass here. He was over the hill and just terrible.

Beuerlein had his moments though (@San Diego '02, Pittsburgh '03).

The one guy I thought was completely worthless was Bill Musgrave. No defense respected his arm.

B-Love
01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Dante Jones should get the nod at one of the LB spots. He along with Britt Hager were signed by Shanny for camp '95 along with Michael Dean Perry and James Jones, both from the Browns D Line.

Hager was a backup and played decent backup ball. But Dante Jones was supposed to be a starter for us and he did nothing but stand on the sidelines with a myriad of injuries. Shanahan was REAL DOWN on Dante Jones.