PDA

View Full Version : Early First Round Analysis

RocBronc
01-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Now that the Juniors have declared and we know who's available, right now the only 2 players who fill both the "value" and "need" requirements of our team and the 12th pick are Aaron Curry and B.J. Raji. Curry almost guaranteed not to make it to our spot and with the way Raji is playing at the Senior Bowl, he also is probably going to be picked before us. I know we don't have an all star RB but I'm not that high on Wells or Moreno anyways, and our needs on defense far outweigh our need for an "elite" RB.

Things could change with FA as far as our "needs" go, and alot of who we should be looking at depends on if we're going to go full bore and implement the 3-4 defense or not but right now it looks to me like we should be looking to trade down to get more value for our first round pick.

lex
01-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Im big on Wells. If they were to draft him at 12, it would be easily justifiable. The guy played a lot of the season at about 80% and with more guys in the box because of Pryors tendency to run and his APC only went down slightly. When he gets more than 10 carries, his APC tends to go ups...same with when he gets 20 carries. Plus he delivers in big games. The guy is an awesome package of vision, feet, strength, pad level, balance, and speed. Plus he has an incredible stiff arm. He is a top 5 talent who is sliding based on team need more than anything. He can help the running game and thereby help the defense and offense. Im not averse to draft Raji and addressing the defense but taking Wells at 12, is very justifiable.

And I think you have it backwards with Raji and Curry. I think Curry is much less likely to be available at 12.

socalorado
01-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Im big on Wells. If they were to draft him at 12, it would be easily justifiable. The guy played a lot of the season at about 80% and with more guys in the box because of Pryors tendency to run and his APC only went down slightly. When he gets more than 10 carries, his APC tends to go ups...same with when he gets 20 carries. Plus he delivers in big games. The guy is an awesome package of vision, feet, strength, pad level, balance, and speed. Plus he has an incredible stiff arm. He is a top 5 talent who is sliding based on team need more than anything. He can help the running game and thereby help the defense and offense. Im not averse to draft Raji and addressing the defense but taking Wells at 12, is very justifiable.

And I think you have it backwards with Raji and Curry. I think Curry is much less likely to be available at 12.

MR.Glassssssssss

bpc
01-21-2009, 07:51 AM
I think in McDaniels offense, another playmaking WR makes more sense vs. a stud HB. How many HB's have you seen dominate in NE lately? I think Peyton Hillis holds more worth than ever now.

Curry won't make it to #12. The guy is a beast. I would love to have him. He won't be there though.

I really like BJ Raji but I don't know if I like him as a 3-4 NT. He's an explosive DT/NT who is a playmaker. We would be asking him to sit in the middle of our defense and take on double team after double team with a smallish body even though he has weight. He isn't your classic run stuffing DT... he's more of a pass rusher. I compare him favorably to D. Roberson when he came out a few years ago. He has that same penetrating style. I just don't know if this is the best fit for him.

I love Everette Brown. He would make a lot sense at #12 but he's rising up the draft. I doubt he's there at our pick. He'll probably go 6-11.

socalorado
01-21-2009, 07:57 AM
I think in McDaniels offense, another playmaking WR makes more sense vs. a stud HB. How many HB's have you seen dominate in NE lately? I think Peyton Hillis holds more worth than ever now.

Curry won't make it to #12. The guy is a beast. I would love to have him. He won't be there though.

I really like BJ Raji but I don't know if I like him as a 3-4 NT. He's an explosive DT/NT who is a playmaker. We would be asking him to sit in the middle of our defense and take on double team after double team with a smallish body even though he has weight. He isn't your classic run stuffing DT... he's more of a pass rusher. I compare him favorably to D. Roberson when he came out a few years ago. He has that same penetrating style. I just don't know if this is the best fit for him.

I love Everette Brown. He would make a lot sense at #12 but he's rising up the draft. I doubt he's there at our pick. He'll probably go 6-11.

ANd DEN could just get a great RB in the 2nd round.

gyldenlove
01-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Right now the chance of Curry being available at 12 is almost 0. Raji needs a good senior bowl and combine to work his way into the top 15 as things stand. He is certainly doing what he can now and if he keeps it up it is not unfeasable that he could be gone before we draft, specifically the Packers at number 9 are dangerous because they are also switching to 3-4.

no-pseudo-fan
01-21-2009, 07:59 AM

Rashard Jennings. Do it. Do it. 6' 1 234 lbs. Beast!!!!!

socalorado
01-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Rashard Jennings. Do it. Do it. 6' 1 234 lbs. Beast!!!!!

Yeah. Hes a beast.

Just think, there could be a couple really good RBs that go in the 2ns round now.

Wells projected a 1st
Moreno projected a 1st
McCoy could be there in the 2nd!
Greene 2nd
Jennings 2nd
Brown 2nd

For cryin out loud if DEN could get ANY one of those 2nd rounders, the offense is officially a powerhouse.

socalorado
01-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Check these guys that could be there in the 2nd round out.

http://walterfootball.com/college/Pittsburgh_logo.gif LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh
Height: 5-11. Weight: 207.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2009): 1-2
1/15/09: One week after he announced he was returning to school, LeSean McCoy, living up to his nickname (shady) officially declared for the 2009 NFL Draft.

1/8/09: LeSean McCoy announced that he'll be returning for his junior season.

1/3/09: It looks like LeSean McCoy is going back to school, but I'm still listing him in the 2009 Running Back Rankings just in case. LeSean McCoy finished with 1,403 rushing yards, 31 receptions, 299 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns.

10/18/08: Less impressive because of Dave Wannstedt, LeSean McCoy has a 4.6 YPC average and seven touchdowns.

5/21/08: LeSean McCoy was never redshirted, but he'll be three years removed from high school once the 2009 NFL Draft rolls around. McCoy had 1,328 rushing yards, 14 touchdowns and even 33 receptions as a freshman for Pittsburgh.

http://walterfootball.com/college/Connecticut_logo.gif Donald Brown, Connecticut
Height: 5-10. Weight: 210.
Projected Round (2009): 2.
1/4/09: Donald Brown brought the Bubble Lead and then some in a win against D.Wily and the Buffalo Bulls, rushing for 261 yards and a touchdown on 29 carries. After the game, Brown said he's declaring for the 2009 NFL Draft. No one can blame him for doing so.

1/3/09: Still undecided about declaring. Donald Brown definitely has the numbers - 1,822 rushing yards, 21 receptions and 17 touchdowns. His decision should probably be based on whether or not Chris Wells and Knowshon Moreno declare. It'd be nice not to have to compete against them.

10/26/08: Donald Brown has 1,174 yards and 12 touchdowns in eight games. Brown has eclipsed the 150-yard mark six times. He also has 14 receptions.http://walterfootball.com/college/Iowa_logo.gif Shonn Greene, Iowa
Height: 5-11. Weight: 235.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
1/3/09: Shonn Greene announced that he'll enter the 2009 NFL Draft. And with 1,729 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior, who could blame him? Greene caught just eight passes, so he'll have to work on that part of his game. Still, he could be a second-round pick when it's all said and done.

10/26/08: Shonn Greene has been a beast this year. Through eight games, Greene has tallied at least 100 yards in every single game, including a 217-yard, four-touchdown performance against Wisconsin.
http://walterfootball.com/college/Liberty_logo.gif Rashad Jennings, Liberty
Height: 6-1. Weight: 234.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
1/3/09: Rashad Jennings finished his sterling 2008 campaign with 1,500 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns.

10/18/08: For those of you who don't follow 1-AA football, Liberty is undefeated. The main reason is Rashad Jennings, who is literally carrying the Flames, Through six games, Jennings has 725 yards and eight touchdowns on a 5.6 YPC clip. NFL GMs and scouts are going to love his 40 time.

5/21/08: Rashad Jennings is a transfer from Pittsburgh, but he didn't switch schools because he couldn't keep up; he had family issues to deal with. At Liberty, Jennings totaled 1,113 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Dempsey Dog
01-21-2009, 08:40 AM

I think a 2nd or 3rd would be a much better place for us to get a back. While I would like to draft a back higher than we have since Portis, I do not like the idea of doing at the 12 spot. First of all, D wins Super Bowls. We need to get a bona fide play making defensive guy in the 1st. Hopefully somebody that is not a project and can step in right away.

Second, I just think the ROI on a 1st rd pick is usually not that substantial for backs. For the 1st round, in terms of the average number of years in the league for each position, backs have some of the lowest. I would rather get a top flight stud on D that will be able to anchor and lead the team for 10 years, as opposed to a back who will be around for 5. This is especially true with our ability and history of back development. With Turner staying, I think this will still remain true.

As mentioned above, there is some good talent to be had later in the draft beyond the 1st Rd. Hillis could still end up being the guy in the backfield with somebody like Alridge as the speed/ change of pace guy. Who knows?

lex
01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
MR.Glassssssssss

He's performed.

SoDak Bronco
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Kind of looking like a weak draft for Safeties/DE's/DT's no?

RocBronc
01-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Interesting take on Raji but what do you mean by "smallish body"... (not a slam, an honest question) ???

Not to be contrarian but doesn't Everette Brown face the same problem as Raji in that he's a better fit for a 4-3 system than a 3-4???

RocBronc
01-21-2009, 09:14 AM

I guess I wasn't clear... I completely agree with your assessment, I was only saying that it now looked like Raji won't be there either.

no-pseudo-fan
01-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah. Hes a beast.

Just think, there could be a couple really good RBs that go in the 2ns round now.

Wells projected a 1st
Moreno projected a 1st
McCoy could be there in the 2nd!
Greene 2nd
Jennings 2nd
Brown 2nd

For cryin out loud if DEN could get ANY one of those 2nd rounders, the offense is officially a powerhouse.

I'm with you. I am more of a Jennings guy right now, but any of these 2nd round guys would be good for me. Imagine what Turner can do with someone that is supremely talented. We would be unstoppable!!!

socalorado
01-21-2009, 09:21 AM

Safety is very strong. Loads of talent.

Mediator12
01-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Safeties and DT's will be OK. Safeties are pretty good and I think there could be a few diamonds in the rough out there in the mid rounds. DT's are deeper rather than elite level guys. Some really good DT's in this draft, just not many top 20 guys.

DE scares the Crap out of me. Might be the worst DE class in some time. No real complete dominant DE prospects and very little depth. Lots of role players, not a lot of impact players and those are more suited to 3-4 DE.

no-pseudo-fan
01-21-2009, 09:47 AM
That is why we have to get an elite player at 12. Trading down is really not an option. If Raji is there TAKE HIM. If Curry is there TAKE HIM.

rugbythug
01-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Personally I am not sold on Raji. I like Ziggy Hood Better. And he could be taken later.

SoDak Bronco
01-21-2009, 10:23 AM
How does Bj Raji grade out compared to Bunkley and Ngata who were both taken around the #12 slot?

SoDak Bronco
01-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Bunkley- taken 14th overall-Height: 6-2 Weight: 306 Age: 25

Ngata- taken 12th overall-Height: 6-4 Weight: 345 Age: 25 (birthday today)

SoDak Bronco
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
BJ Raji--Height: 6-1 Weight: 345 Age: 22

FYI--other noteable 3-4 NT's
Jamaal Williams---Height: 6-3 Weight: 348 Age: 32
Kris Jenkins--Height: 6-4 Weight: 349 Age: 29
Vince Wilfork--Height: 6-2 Weight: 325 Age: 27

SoDak Bronco
01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Most comparable body type I found was Casey Hampton of the Steelers..

Casey Hampton --Height: 6-1 Weight: 325 Age: 31

Drek
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
How does Bj Raji grade out compared to Bunkley and Ngata who were both taken around the #12 slot?

To my eyes, not having done much of a detailed film break down on him or anything, Raji reminds me a lot of Haloti Ngata. A guy who can be that NT type of anchor but if thats all you're using him for you really aren't getting best value out of him.

If we run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 then Raji is the guy for me. If we run a straight 4-3 I wouldn't even have problems with taking him as a stud NT to pair with Thomas at UT. But if we run a 3-4 I think we'd get better value for a rookie NT by taking Brace or one of the other solid options in round 2 or later, and could then use #12 on another area of need, like a legit 3-4 OLB pass rusher.

Elway777
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Most comparable body type I found was Casey Hampton of the Steelers..

Casey Hampton --Height: 6-1 Weight: 325 Age: 31 Raji at the serior bowl was closer to 6-2 then 6-1 which is a good think.I think he compares with Vince Wilfork in Body type but Hampton is also close.

skpac1001
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
To my eyes, not having done much of a detailed film break down on him or anything, Raji reminds me a lot of Haloti Ngata. A guy who can be that NT type of anchor but if thats all you're using him for you really aren't getting best value out of him.

If we run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 then Raji is the guy for me. If we run a straight 4-3 I wouldn't even have problems with taking him as a stud NT to pair with Thomas at UT. But if we run a 3-4 I think we'd get better value for a rookie NT by taking Brace or one of the other solid options in round 2 or later, and could then use #12 on another area of need, like a legit 3-4 OLB pass rusher.

Dead on, IMO. I think if we don't want him trading down is likely.

chaz
01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Now that the Juniors have declared and we know who's available, right now the only 2 players who fill both the "value" and "need" requirements of our team and the 12th pick are Aaron Curry and B.J. Raji. Curry almost guaranteed to make it to our spot

sorry but I stopped reading...

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Broncos maybe have enough picks to move up a few spots into the first round. Unlikely but with 10 picks they could do it.

mattob14
01-21-2009, 05:11 PM
How many HB's have you seen dominate in NE lately?

While the RBs haven't been dominant, they did give up a 2nd for Corey Dillon a couple of years ago and he put up 39 TDs from 2004-2006. They also spent a 1st on Maroney and he had a pretty good rookie campaign, though he's struggled the last 2 years. I do think NE wants to get the RBs more involved, but they just haven't had the talent available.

BroncoMan4ever
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM

i agree completely. Wells and Crabtree would be the only 2 1st round offensive talents i would not have any problem with using our pick on. Wells because he brings back a steady and dominant running game which has been missing since Portis and Crabtree because he is a can't miss WR that would give us an incredible receiving corps and make it impossible to cover all 3 of our badass receivers.

although Crabtree is a pipe dream but Wells is a real possibility

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2009, 09:04 PM

1/15/09: One week after he announced he was returning to school, LeSean McCoy, living up to his nickname (shady) officially declared for the 2009 NFL Draft.

1/3/09: It looks like LeSean McCoy is going back to school, but I'm still listing him in the 2009 Running Back Rankings just in case. LeSean McCoy finished with 1,403 rushing yards, 31 receptions, 299 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns.

10/18/08: Less impressive because of Dave Wannstedt, LeSean McCoy has a 4.6 YPC average and seven touchdowns.

5/21/08: LeSean McCoy was never redshirted, but he'll be three years removed from high school once the 2009 NFL Draft rolls around. McCoy had 1,328 rushing yards, 14 touchdowns and even 33 receptions as a freshman for Pittsburgh.

http://walterfootball.com/college/Connecticut_logo.gif Donald Brown, Connecticut
1/4/09: Donald Brown brought the Bubble Lead and then some in a win against D.Wily and the Buffalo Bulls, rushing for 261 yards and a touchdown on 29 carries. After the game, Brown said he's declaring for the 2009 NFL Draft. No one can blame him for doing so.

1/3/09: Still undecided about declaring. Donald Brown definitely has the numbers - 1,822 rushing yards, 21 receptions and 17 touchdowns. His decision should probably be based on whether or not Chris Wells and Knowshon Moreno declare. It'd be nice not to have to compete against them.

10/26/08: Donald Brown has 1,174 yards and 12 touchdowns in eight games. Brown has eclipsed the 150-yard mark six times. He also has 14 receptions.http://walterfootball.com/college/Iowa_logo.gif Shonn Greene, Iowa
1/3/09: Shonn Greene announced that he'll enter the 2009 NFL Draft. And with 1,729 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior, who could blame him? Greene caught just eight passes, so he'll have to work on that part of his game. Still, he could be a second-round pick when it's all said and done.

10/26/08: Shonn Greene has been a beast this year. Through eight games, Greene has tallied at least 100 yards in every single game, including a 217-yard, four-touchdown performance against Wisconsin.
1/3/09: Rashad Jennings finished his sterling 2008 campaign with 1,500 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns.

10/18/08: For those of you who don't follow 1-AA football, Liberty is undefeated. The main reason is Rashad Jennings, who is literally carrying the Flames, Through six games, Jennings has 725 yards and eight touchdowns on a 5.6 YPC clip. NFL GMs and scouts are going to love his 40 time.

5/21/08: Rashad Jennings is a transfer from Pittsburgh, but he didn't switch schools because he couldn't keep up; he had family issues to deal with. At Liberty, Jennings totaled 1,113 yards and 15 touchdowns.

wow, I'd love for the Broncos to get one of these guys in the second round...

Mediator12
01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
So, How do you change your screen name Again? I think I am going with JenningsnextForte ;D

BroncoInferno
01-21-2009, 09:27 PM

This years RB class is deep and with our D needs there is no reason to go that route in round 1. If we stick with the zone blocking scheme, James Davis in round 2 or 3 will be the steal of the draft.

BroncoMan4ever
01-21-2009, 11:41 PM

Greene and Jennings are the only guys after wells in the 1st i am interested in that are slated to be picked in the 1st or 2nd rounds

lex
01-22-2009, 06:59 AM
This years RB class is deep and with our D needs there is no reason to go that route in round 1. If we stick with the zone blocking scheme, James Davis in round 2 or 3 will be the steal of the draft.

Wow, I havent heard that before. When you look at our offense, we often lacked a running game to smooth out the inconsistencies. A dominant running game would help both Cutler and the defense. Taking a Wells at 12 is not only jusitifiable in terms of helping the offense and the defense but its also a value pick. Again, Im not averse to drafting defense but we should start with NT and not draft a RB this draft but wait until the next one when Murray, Best, or Spiller will likely be available.

BroncoInferno
01-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Wow, I havent heard that before. When you look at our offense, we often lacked a running game to smooth out the inconsistencies. A dominant running game would help both Cutler and the defense. Taking a Wells at 12 is not only jusitifiable in terms of helping the offense and the defense but its also a value pick. Again, Im not averse to drafting defense but we should start with NT and not draft a RB this draft but wait until the next one when Murray, Best, or Spiller will likely be available.

Well, I think we have to draft a RB at some point given the situation we are in now. We don't have a guy who has proven he can stay healthy for 16 games. I would think we address the situation at least by the 4th round. That, of course, would not preclude us from taking a back in '10. We draft a RB at some point almost every year. Davis is perfect for the ZBS. Had he played for a more competent coach than Tommy Bowden, he's probably a first round lock. Instead, we could potentially heist him in the 3rd round.

ward63
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Wells is most likely the guy in the draft, that is most like Corey Dillion, if you want to go based off what NE had.

lex
01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Well, I think we have to draft a RB at some point given the situation we are in now. We don't have a guy who has proven he can stay healthy for 16 games. I would think we address the situation at least by the 4th round. That, of course, would not preclude us from taking a back in '10. We draft a RB at some point almost every year. Davis is perfect for the ZBS. Had he played for a more competent coach than Tommy Bowden, he's probably a first round lock. Instead, we could potentially heist him in the 3rd round.

Our offense is a dominant running game away from being great. So there we are positioned at 12 and if Wells is available, you seriously have to consider taking him. He is the best RB in the draft and in many years would be a top 5 pick. He still might be this year depending on what a couple of teams do. Its just that there are only a couple of teams that make sense for taking a running back but those teams have other needs and are in a position to take guys like Curry. Ill gladly take a RB with top 5 talent if he falls to us at 12. Gladly. Thats also value. Meanwhile, the defense isnt one player away. So to round out the offense by taking Wells isnt so bad.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Our offense is a dominant running game away from being great. So there we are positioned at 12 and if Wells is available, you seriously have to consider taking him. He is the best RB in the draft and in many years would be a top 5 pick. He still might be this year depending on what a couple of teams do. Its just that there are only a couple of teams that make sense for taking a running back but those teams have other needs and are in a position to take guys like Curry. Ill gladly take a RB with top 5 talent if he falls to us at 12. Gladly. Thats also value. Meanwhile, the defense isnt one player away. So to round out the offense by taking Wells isnt so bad.

I still think alot of us dont understand how you equate this dominant running game to Wells, and not to McCoy or Greene or Jennings. Why is the running game only dominant with Mr. Glassss? Could the offense in DEN still be dominant with McCoy or Greene?

RocBronc
01-22-2009, 09:17 AM

The problem is when we can't stop the other team from scoring our RB will become useless as we'll be passing all the time. Without a much stronger defense having ANY running back doesn't make us that much better of a team.

chaz
01-22-2009, 10:24 AM
The problem is when we can't stop the other team from scoring our RB will become useless as we'll be passing all the time. Without a much stronger defense having ANY running back doesn't make us that much better of a team.

rock on broha. this is exactly the point to many madden-minds miss....it's not all about the offense in the nfl. we need D bad.

lex
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM

And you think taking a RB in the 1st will offset anything else they may do in the offseason to improve the defense?

lex
01-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I still think alot of us dont understand how you equate this dominant running game to Wells, and not to McCoy or Greene or Jennings. Why is the running game only dominant with Mr. Glassss? Could the offense in DEN still be dominant with McCoy or Greene?

What I think is more confusing is how you tolerant of fixing the D but only if it involves drafting Maualuga, a second round RB and then signing Shaun Cody out of Detroit to play nose tackle.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
What I think is more confusing is how you tolerant of fixing the D but only if it involves drafting Maualuga, a second round RB and then signing Shaun Cody out of Detroit to play nose tackle.

That is what is called addressing the teams most glaring weakness.
Defense.
And i am all for drafting a RB (notice that!?!?!) except it makes no sense in drafting one by passing up on top tier defensive talent WHOEVER the player is in the 1st round, considering the nightmare DENs defense is.
Also, you never answered my question.
Would McCoy, Greene or Jennings make the DEN offense dominant?

lex
01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
That is what is called addressing the teams most glaring weakness.
Defense.
And i am all for drafting a RB (notice that!?!?!) except it makes no sense in drafting one by passing up on top tier defensive talent WHOEVER the player is in the 1st round, considering the nightmare DENs defense is.
Also, you never answered my question.
Would McCoy, Greene or Jennings make the DEN offense dominant?

No, I did answer that. I already said Wells is the best RB in the draft. And if we're switching to the 3-4, we're really not addressing a whole lot by what youve spelled out. OK, so we get Maualuga...but we have a 290 lb NT trying to keep blockers off of him. Besides that, the cadre has already said that they want smart players on defense. "Lack of discipline" is not synonamous with someone who makes smart decisions. If you werent so fixated on Maualuga, you also wouldnt be so steadfast about Greene. Whereas, I am at least tolerant of a couple different approaches.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 01:17 PM
No, I did answer that. I already said Wells is the best RB in the draft. And if we're switching to the 3-4, we're really not addressing a whole lot by what youve spelled out. OK, so we get Maualuga...but we have a 290 lb NT trying to keep blockers off of him. Besides that, the cadre has already said that they want smart players on defense. "Lack of discipline" is not synonamous with someone who makes smart decisions. If you werent so fixated on Maualuga, you also wouldnt be so steadfast about Greene. Whereas, I am at least tolerant of a couple different approaches.

I have offered up many different options for the draft Lex.
Sintim or Spikes before he went back to school.
Brace in the 2nd.
REY REY as of now is one of the best options for addressing the defense, which is where the MAJOR trouble is. Getting Cody to play his original position and regaining the weight wouldnt hurt in addressing the defensive woes either. Anything to help try to bolster the nightmare of defense. OJ, or ILB Bart Scott have been other options i have thrown out there as more then solid options to addressing the horrid mess that is the defense.
Question
Do you think that McCoy or Jennigns or Greene or Brown would make the offense dominant?

RocBronc
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
And you think taking a RB in the 1st will offset anything else they may do in the offseason to improve the defense?

What do you mean by this post... Please clarify.

lex
01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
What do you mean by this post... Please clarify.

If most are correct in their assessment that our personnel on defense is garbage, then we are more than one player away on defense. The quality of the defense will be more defined on what happens beyond that one pick. The offense is fewer pieces away from being great though.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
If most are correct in their assessment that our personnel on defense is garbage, then we are more than one player away on defense. The quality of the defense will be more defined on what happens beyond that one pick. The offense is fewer pieces away from being great though.

And with this last post in mind,
Question
Do you think that McCoy or Jennigns or Greene or Brown would make the offense dominant?

lex
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
And with this last post in mind,
Question

Im not as convinced. Heres why:

McCoy: Im not even sure he plays faster than Wells. Wells is much stronger and has as good, if not better, vision than McCoy. Wells has the balance/feet to change directions when he sees the opening. Wells has a much better stiff arm than McCoy and runs with better pad level.

Jennings: Runs a little stiff. I think Wells plays faster and is stronger and Im not convinced Jennings has the vision/feet to see and take advantage of the openings availed in cutbacks. He looks a little straight linish to me.

Greene: Has great pad level but not as explosive. I think Wells plays with better game speed and his vision/feet allow him to cash in on openings better. Plus, he's kind of a one year wonder. Played in the best system for a RB, which distorts ones perspective. Im not sure James Davis wouldnt have done better in the same system.

Brown: Im not really sold on him.

socalorado
01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Im not as convinced. Heres why:

McCoy: Im not even sure he plays faster than Wells. Wells is much stronger and has as good, if not better, vision than McCoy. Wells has the balance/feet to change directions when he sees the opening. Wells has a much better stiff arm than McCoy and runs with better pad level.

Jennings: Runs a little stiff. I think Wells plays faster and is stronger and Im not convinced Jennings has the vision/feet to see and take advantage of the openings availed in cutbacks. He looks a little straight linish to me.

Greene: Has great pad level but not as explosive. I think Wells plays with better game speed and his vision/feet allow him to cash in on openings better. Plus, he's kind of a one year wonder. Played in the best system for a RB, which distorts ones perspective. Im not sure James Davis wouldnt have done better in the same system.

Brown: Im not really sold on him.

Thank you! Theres the LEX weve all come to know!
Make a case for the guy, dammit!
I think Wells would be a beast in the DEN system obviously. Its just the question of durability that really concerns me with MrGlass. Like ive said before, this place will go into a tailspin if DEN takes him in the 1st, considering theres some solid RBs out there, that could really be weapons later on, and i will just smile to myself and watch what happens in optimism.
But dont forget, this defense is just horrid.

lex
01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Thank you! Theres the LEX weve all come to know!
Make a case for the guy, dammit!
I think Wells would be a beast in the DEN system obviously. Its just the question of durability that really concerns me with MrGlass. Like ive said before, this place will go into a tailspin if DEN takes him in the 1st, considering theres some solid RBs out there, that could really be weapons later on, and i will just smile to myself and watch what happens in optimism.
But dont forget, this defense is just horrid.

Like I said, the remaking of the defense goes beyond one guy. The offense is only a piece or two away from being great. I realize a RB isnt the most popular pick and I can see an argument for defense too but to scream about defense and then be a proponent of taking a RB in the 2nd round is talking out both sides of ones mouth. And regarding your comment about his durability. Ive said it before and Ill say it again. His APC only went down .1 from the year before and he was only like 80% much of the year and had to deal with more guys in the box because of Pryors tendency to run. And again, his APC was still virtually as good as it was the year before when he had fewer guys in the box and wasnt as injured (even though he was also injured last year). The guy can play and be productive even when he's not 100%. He hasnt had anything major to be concerned with either.

RocBronc
01-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Like I said, the remaking of the defense goes beyond one guy. The offense is only a piece or two away from being great. I realize a RB isnt the most popular pick and I can see an argument for defense two but to scream about defense and then be a proponent of taking a RB in the 2nd round is talking out both sides of ones mouth. And regarding your comment about his durability. Ive said it before and Ill say it again. His APC only went down .1 from the year before and he was only like 80% much of the year and had to deal with more guys in the box because of Pryors tendency to run. And again, his APC was still virtually as good as it was the year before when he had fewer guys in the box and wasnt as injured (even though he was also injured last year). The guy can play and be productive even when he's not 100%. He hasnt had anything major to be concerned with either.

I see what you are saying now but to me that resource of a first round pick still needs to be spent on the defense. We need to do more than a first round pick as well. I've always wanted to see our first 3 picks go on the defensive side of the ball so at least I'm consistent (I think).

The big variable right now is what do we do with roster changes as far as FA/trades/releases between now and the draft which could be pretty interesting and bring some more clarity to what our draft needs really are.