PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new Mock

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Scouting Report
There is no question that the vast majority of the Broncos problems rest on the defensive side of the ball but just hear me out on this one... It seems like Denver went through about a dozen running backs in 2008 but even without all those injuries they still don't have a true #1. Granted the Broncos traditionally haven't used first round picks on running backs, preferring to mine for gems later on, but Mike Shanahan is gone and that philosophy could very well change with a new regime in town. The 6-1, 237 pound Chris "Beanie" Wells has some durability concerns but he is the top running back in this draft and could be the workhorse Denver's been searching for since they traded away Clinton Portis. The Broncos might very well go defense too and it's not an exaggeration to say they need help at all three levels. It looks like Mike Nolan will install his trademark 3-4 scheme and they should have plenty of options here. Whether it be a nose tackle (B.J. Raji), a defensive end (Tyson Jackson), an inside linebacker (Rey Maualuga), an outside linebacker (Brian Orakpo / Everette Brown / Aaron Maybin) or a safety (William Moore) the Broncos really can't go wrong. However, Wells should be gone and is the best value on the board so he gets the nod.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Obviously need to update the draft order

snowspot66
01-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Is anybody more at ease with Maualuga if we go 3-4? I know some people were pretty skittish on him before. I wonder how the scheme change would affect peoples thoughts on him.

bpc
01-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Maualuga looks like ass at the senior bowl. He came in out of shape and quite honestly, he's getting his ass kicked. He is having a hard time seperating from blockers and just doesn't look very athletic.

I know he has talent but he's too much a boom or bust prospect in my eyes. We need more emphasis on OLB's and our front line defenders as we are lacking all of that right now.

BTW, if we pass on Everette Brown, somebody should kick Goodman's ass. He won't make it to Denver's spot but if he did, we should jump on that in a heartbeat.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Maualuga looks like ass at the senior bowl. He came in out of shape and quite honestly, he's getting his ass kicked. He is having a hard time seperating from blockers and just doesn't look very athletic.

I know he has talent but he's too much a boom or bust prospect in my eyes. We need more emphasis on OLB's and our front line defenders as we are lacking all of that right now.

BTW, if we pass on Everette Brown, somebody should kick Goodman's ass. He won't make it to Denver's spot but if he did, we should jump on that in a heartbeat.

What's Rey's problem with blockers down there? No leg drive? Heavy feet? Stiff hips? Any specifics?

socalorado
01-21-2009, 07:05 AM
What's Rey's problem with blockers down there? No leg drive? Heavy feet? Stiff hips? Any specifics?

Hes been partying and having fun. He'll be ready for the combine. But i cant say this wont help him.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Hes been partying and having fun. He'll be ready for the combine. But i cant say this wont help him.

Why bother going if you won't take it seriously, then? Playing ****ty here will cost him at least a million.

socalorado
01-21-2009, 07:08 AM

Were at #12, theres actually a good chance hes there. The best 3-4 DE out there. Man, i hope SF falls in love with Dirty Sanchez!

socalorado
01-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Why bother going if you won't take it seriously, then? Playing ****ty here will cost him at least a million.

I know. I know. But just like Lex has said many times, like the whiny, cry baby, grandma he is, "Rey is not the most disciplined player".
Grandma knows best.

gyldenlove
01-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Right now I am pinning my hopes on BJ Raji. I would love to see what he can turn into and he is tearing it up in Mobile right now. He has base strength, he can anchor, he can penetrate, he is a big body and he is a smart guy.

I think he will shoot up the draft boards and if nothing else then the Packers at number 9 will take a serious look at him.

brncs_fan
01-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I am still trying to sigure out how teams ran on BC this year. Both DT's are 320+ and ranked top 5 in their category.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Right now I am pinning my hopes on BJ Raji. I would love to see what he can turn into and he is tearing it up in Mobile right now. He has base strength, he can anchor, he can penetrate, he is a big body and he is a smart guy.

I think he will shoot up the draft boards and if nothing else then the Packers at number 9 will take a serious look at him.

I don't think Raji can make it outside of UT. Maybe as an end in the 3-4.

Dempsey Dog
01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
I am still trying to sigure out how teams ran on BC this year. Both DT's are 320+ and ranked top 5 in their category.

In actuality, they were great against the run. They lead the ACC and were 10th overall in all of college football in rush defense. They only gave up 92 yards per game on the ground. No only did they have the 2 tackles, but the LB corp was superb too.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=defense&cat2=Rushing&conference=I-A_all

My wife is a BC alum and I watched about 10/ 13 games this year. Raji is an absolute beast and would be a fine a pick. We could also wait until the 2nd or 3rd and get Brace, who is pretty good himself.

brncs_fan
01-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Mayock just said that both BC tackles were close to 360 as well, but couldn't play as well with the extra weight. So I think the potential is there that both could get bigger too as they learn more.

mattob14
01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Is anybody more at ease with Maualuga if we go 3-4? I know some people were pretty skittish on him before. I wonder how the scheme change would affect peoples thoughts on him.

While I do think he's better suited to the 3-4, he's still not worth #12. If we trade down and he's there in the 20's, you've got to consider it. I just think Maualuga's living off of last year's Rose Bowl and has failed to live up to the hype as a top 10-12 pick. At one point people were even touting him as a top-3 selection. That doesn't make him a bad player, but it makes him a bad value at #12.

Rohirrim
01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
If the Broncos came out of this draft with Cushing and Matthews, they would do ten times better than taking Rey. Cushing is a field general who has the size to move inside in a 3/4. That's what DJ needs. Matthews is another WWIII with size.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
If the Broncos came out of this draft with Cushing and Matthews, they would do ten times better than taking Rey. Cushing is a field general who has the size to move inside in a 3/4. That's what DJ needs. Matthews is another WWIII with size.

As far as Cushing goes, I really like his ability to break down before the ball carrier and then explode into him, but other than that I think he's fairly average in every other area.

socalorado
01-21-2009, 11:50 AM
As far as Cushing goes, I really like his ability to break down before the ball carrier and then explode into him, but other than that I think he's fairly average in every other area.

Unless hes playing Penn St,then he looks like Lawrence Taylor in his prime!!
;D j/k

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Unless hes playing Penn St,then he looks like Lawrence Taylor in his prime!!
;D j/k

rat bastard

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
The scouts say Moore looked really bad working out in practice at senior bowl.

They said stiff, can't turn hips fast enough to stay with WR's, didn't show a nose for the ball.

BroncoMan4ever
01-21-2009, 12:18 PM

if Everett Brown is sitting there at 12 and we don't take him, i am going to end up punching a hole in my tv and just be pissed off the rest of the draft weekend.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
The scouts say Moore looked really bad working out in practice at senior bowl.

They said stiff, can't turn hips fast enough to stay with WR's, didn't show a nose for the ball.

That's great news! He'd be good 3rd/4th round depth.

bpc
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM

You name it... bad instincts, plays too high, not very agile (could be from being overweight), and doesn't use his hands well to disengage blocks. He's one of the biggest MLB's in the draft which would make him a natural in the 34 per say, but he struggles with linemen that make it to the next level. I've seen him driven 5 yards back on a bunch of plays.

Rey is a highlight playmaker that was in a defense centered around showing off his ability. Now that he is out of that situation, he's being exposed a little bit.

He still has the ability to be a good player but is he somebody we should consider at 12? Hell no. I have severe doubts about his maturity level and ability to step up his game in the pro's.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
You name it... bad instincts, plays too high, not very agile (could be from being overweight), and doesn't use his hands well to disengage blocks. He's one of the biggest MLB's in the draft which would make him a natural in the 34 per say, but he struggles with linemen that make it to the next level. I've seen him driven 5 yards back on a bunch of plays.

Rey is a highlight playmaker that was in a defense centered around showing off his ability. Now that he is out of that situation, he's being exposed a little bit.

He still has the ability to be a good player but is he somebody we should consider at 12? Hell no. I have severe doubts about his maturity level and ability to step up his game in the pro's.

Pete Carroll was just on saying he was the fastest and most athletic linebacker he's coached, but then again, what would you expect him to say. I'll be watching Rey close, thanks bpc.

socalorado
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Pete Carroll was just on saying he was the fastest and most athletic linebacker he's coached, but then again, what would you expect him to say. I'll be watching Rey close, thanks bpc.

Watch Cushing too. Kid is very dedictated, and is taking this whole draft process very seriously. unlike REY REY apparently.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Watch Cushing too. Kid is very dedictated, and is taking this whole draft process very seriously. unlike REY REY apparently.

Good for him. I'm not one for "upside" much but I think Cushing's near his peak. I like his tackling (though he has a tendency to leave his feet), but I'm not sure he'll get much better at the rest, and I'm not sure his playing speed will translate incredibly well to the NFL. Solid starter, but not Ray Lewis and Al Wilson potential to change a defense.

Like me, he's pigmentally challenged so he'll get tagged with the "field general", "has awareness", "lunchpail", "tough", "poor in coverage", "stiff hips", and every other buzz phrase scouts can assign a player by skin color, but sadly I think he fits a lot of them.

mhgaffney
01-21-2009, 02:21 PM
# 12 is a good place to be. Someone we need will fall to us.

elsid13
01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
As we post Rey-Rey is bringing it today according the Mayock. He looks a lot faster and more explosive in one on one drills between TE/LB

CEH
01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
As we post Rey-Rey is bringing it today according the Mayock. He looks a lot faster and more explosive in one on one drills between TE/LB

4 years of game film on the kid. I'm not concerned at all
I think our scouts and many others teams will grade Rey Rey correctly