PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Stadium clears hurdle

SoCalBronco
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
L.A. STADIUM CLEARS HURDLE IN A LANDSLIDE
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2009, 12:01 a.m. EST
The ballot initiative that would clear the way for $150 million in infrastructure improvements relating to a new NFL stadium in Industry passed overwhelmingly on Tuesday.

The votes in favor outnumbered the opposing votes by a 60-to-1 margin.

Literally.

Of the 84 registered voters in Industry, California, 61 showed up. And 60 voted in favor of the measure, while one opposed it.

The plan is expected to be certified at a Thursday meeting of the Industry city council. Thereafter, Ed Roski and his company, Majestic Realty, might begin making overtures to potential tenants.

The teams that could be targeted for a move include the Bills, the Jaguars, the Raiders, the Chargers, the Vikings, the Saints, the Rams, and the 49ers.

We also think that the Lions could be in play, if the Fords decide to finally cash out and move on.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/21/la-stadium-clears-hurdle-in-a-landslide/

Dammit. This city doesn't deserve a team.

Bronco Bob
01-20-2009, 10:26 PM
So they've given up on building it in Inglewood?

tsiguy96
01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
goodbye rams or jaguars.

SoCalBronco
01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
So they've given up on building it in Inglewood?

I don't know why anyone would ever want to build anything in Inglewood. I don't know why they put the Forum there.

Man-Goblin
01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
The Lions just built a state of the art stadium. That's just silly. I think it's down to the Chargers, Jags, and Bills, with the Jags the overwhelmingly obvious choice.

Bronco Bob
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know why anyone would ever want to build anything in Inglewood. I don't know why they put the Forum there.

Don't either. Just that when I lived in the LA area that was all the talk,
building a football stadium in Inglewood.

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I dunno, guys ... the west end of Inglewood, west of La Cienega around the La Tijera area, is pretty nice.

I have a friend who owns a house on Longview I think, and it's a very nice neighborhood.

*Check that* It's "Fairview" west of La Cienega :thumbs:

Green star:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5430/53410895ry8.jpg

spdirty
01-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I wish they would move the chiefs to LA.

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2009, 10:41 PM
The Lions just built a state of the art stadium. That's just silly. I think it's down to the Chargers, Jags, and Bills, with the Jags the overwhelmingly obvious choice.

the jags have a pretty new stadium too, one that can host the SB...

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
goodbye rams or jaguars.

Neither, it will be the Vikings. Zigi is getting impatient and the citizens aren't warming to a new stadium. I think they pull a North Stars and head for warmer climate.

Man-Goblin
01-20-2009, 10:56 PM
the jags have a pretty new stadium too, one that can host the SB...

It's actually a renovated stadium that was there long before the Jags. And they have to embarassingly cover up 10 thousand seats every game just to avoid blackouts. And it is the smallest market in the NFL.

They will move eventually. Might as well be soon.

brncs_fan
01-20-2009, 11:03 PM
I dunno, guys ... the west end of Inglewood, west of La Cienega around the La Tijera area, is pretty nice.

But Dr. Dre said that Inglewood is always up to no good. You going against the D R E?

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 11:10 PM
But Dr. Dre said that Inglewood is always up to no good. You going against the D R E?

You never know where you gonna come up against straight G's, loke.

BroncoMatt
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
The rams would be a great choice, they still have a big fan base in LA. Now that Georgia is gone maybe they will go back. Plus, the rams/niners rivalry would probably mean something again.

24champ
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I wish they would move the chiefs to LA.

No thanks.

I wouldn't mind the Lions, though I see the NFL doing the same thing the NHL did with the Penguins and prevents any type of move there. Lions are a historical team.

I'm going to say the Bills and Jaguars are the most likely to move to Los Angeles. One thing you people don't understand is that the guy building this stadium is a Billionaire and has part ownership in the Lakers and Los Angeles Kings. From what I know, he isn't going to be a part owner this time around and wants his own team. The only two teams I can see selling are the Bills and Jaguars.

24champ
01-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Neither, it will be the Vikings. Zigi is getting impatient and the citizens aren't warming to a new stadium. I think they pull a North Stars and head for warmer climate.

Zigi isn't going to sell the team, so the Vikings aren't going anywhere either.

brncs_fan
01-20-2009, 11:16 PM
The Rams have a descent fan base they just charge too much to go to their games.

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Zigi isn't going to sell the team, so the Vikings aren't going anywhere either.

Has nothing to do with selling the team. He will move them.

24champ
01-20-2009, 11:37 PM

Move them where?

LA Stadium is not an option for him unless he is selling the team. Ed Roski will get his own team one way or another.

It's why the Chargers aren't heading to LA.

Hogan11
01-20-2009, 11:41 PM
No thanks.

I wouldn't mind the Lions, though I see the NFL doing the same thing the NHL did with the Penguins and prevents any type of move there. Lions are a historical team.

I'm going to say the Bills and Jaguars are the most likely to move to Los Angeles. One thing you people don't understand is that the guy building this stadium is a Billionaire and has part ownership in the Lakers and Los Angeles Kings. From what I know, he isn't going to be a part owner this time around and wants his own team. The only two teams I can see selling are the Bills and Jaguars.

Wrong. The Bills are now tied financially with Toronto. If they move anywhere, it will be there. Don't count on it though as Ralph Wilson has a signed deal with the Devil to live to age 125 (similar to the one that Al Davis has)

tsiguy96
01-20-2009, 11:41 PM

yea homey this guy wants to OWN the team, not move a currently owned team there. he will buy them and move them. no one really cares about the rams and the owner is old as ****, they are prime candidates for it.

24champ
01-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Wrong. The Bills are now tied financially with Toronto. If they move anywhere, it will be there. Don't count on it though as Ralph Wilson has a signed deal with the Devil to live to age 125 (similar to the one that Al Davis has)

This stadium isn't going to be built in a year. At the earliest, a football team will be in LA by 2011. The contract the Bills have with Toronto will be meaningless by then. The contract with Toronto runs until 2012, so the Bills are still a viable candidate to move to LA.

I talked to Buffalo fans before the Broncos game this year and they are feeling that their team will end up somewhere else. The end is coming for Buffalo, it's just a matter of where they will end up.

Hogan11
01-21-2009, 12:03 AM
This stadium isn't going to be built in a year. At the earliest, a football team will be in LA by 2011. The contract the Bills have with Toronto will be meaningless by then. The contract with Toronto runs until 2012, so the Bills are still a viable candidate to move to LA.

I talked to Buffalo fans before the Broncos game this year and they are feeling that their team will end up somewhere else. The end is coming for Buffalo, it's just a matter of where they will end up.

It will...in Toronto.

BroncoMan4ever
01-21-2009, 12:07 AM

i was honestly thinking the Saints or the Rams. Saints simply because they were supposedly ready to move a few seasons ago and the Rams because of the former LA association with the team

tsiguy96
01-21-2009, 12:07 AM

there is a big following of the bills in toronto, that is teh ONLY place they would move to.

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Ol' Ralph was the only owner to vote against the new CBA a couple years back... that's gotta tell you something.

The Toronto thing is a real saving grace for them ....

24champ
01-21-2009, 12:17 AM
It will...in Toronto.

We'll see.

One Toronto has stadium problems, Rogers Centre is not an ideal long term stadium. If the Bills moved to Toronto and played in Rogers Centre, it would be the smallest capacity stadium in the NFL. Secondly many fans in Hamilton are not fond of this move. Thirdly, Ted Rogers, a man that brought the Bills to Toronto for these "home" games and was thought to be a leading candidate to own an NFL team, particularly the Bills recently passed away.

When it comes down to it, I would say the NFL will nudge things to Los Angeles. We know how bad the NFL wants a team in LA.

24champ
01-21-2009, 12:22 AM
there is a big following of the bills in toronto, that is teh ONLY place they would move to.

Is there somebody that is in line that lives in Toronto that will purchase the Bills? Because if not, they aren't moving to Toronto. They also have clear hurdles about the stadium issues.

It's easy to say team x is moving here and there. But when you think it through, there are lots of hurdles to cross. For Los Angeles, the only way they are getting a team is if Ed Roski buys one.

Hogan11
01-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Is there somebody that is in line that lives in Toronto that will purchase the Bills? Because if not, they aren't moving to Toronto. They also have clear hurdles about the stadium issues.

There will be, that team is already engrained there. The stadium thing will probably be overlooked for the short term because of the league's desire to go international.

24champ
01-21-2009, 12:26 AM
There will be, that team is already engrained there.

The team isn't going to just move itself Hogan. There needs to be a buyer of the team willing to move to Toronto and the Buyer needs to either get the city of Toronto to build a brand new stadium or build one himself.

I don't see any of those things coming together....not anytime in the near future.

broncocalijohn
01-21-2009, 02:15 AM

Inglewood wasnt what Inglewood is now. Times changed and people got darker and you got scared so you stayed inside and swore that you would never root for a local team and instead pick out the Penguins in Philly, Broncos in Denver and I believe White Sox in Illinois.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-21-2009, 02:35 AM
We'll see.

One Toronto has stadium problems, Rogers Centre is not an ideal long term stadium. If the Bills moved to Toronto and played in Rogers Centre, it would be the smallest capacity stadium in the NFL. Secondly many fans in Hamilton are not fond of this move. Thirdly, Ted Rogers, a man that brought the Bills to Toronto for these "home" games and was thought to be a leading candidate to own an NFL team, particularly the Bills recently passed away.

When it comes down to it, I would say the NFL will nudge things to Los Angeles. We know how bad the NFL wants a team in LA.

As bad as the NFL wants a team in LA, Toronto is the league's gateway into the Canadian market. Just as significant in terms of dollars and cents. Lets not forget Toronto is a huge media market. A cosmopolitan city on par with Chicago.

Jason in LA
01-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Building a stadium in Industry is just a dumb idea.

And there's nothing wrong with building in Inglewood, which has been a dead idea for over 10 years now, and the Mayor doesn't want a stadium there. It's easy to get to the airport from there, the surrounding areas aren't bad, and it's on a huge lot, so people really don't have to worry about the folks from the surrounding areas. The Lakers and Kings played there for years without any problems. There aren't any problems at Hollywood Park. It would make a lot more sense to build a stadium in Inglewood than in Industry.

Tearing down the Coliseum and building a new stadium there makes the most sense.

chawknz
01-21-2009, 08:11 AM
It sure is a beautiful looking plan.. http://losangelesfootballstadium.com/stadium

Chris
01-21-2009, 08:16 AM
im fine with it so long as they move a team instead of expanding.

crawdad
01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
This plan spells disaster for those of us that use the Ontario airport. It is so small and convenient compared to LAX and now the NFL will screw that up!

theAPAOps5
01-21-2009, 09:20 AM
yea homey this guy wants to OWN the team, not move a currently owned team there. he will buy them and move them. no one really cares about the rams and the owner is old as ****, they are prime candidates for it.

Ah thats what I get for scanning the story! LOL

SonOfLe-loLang
01-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Building a stadium in Industry is just a dumb idea.

And there's nothing wrong with building in Inglewood, which has been a dead idea for over 10 years now, and the Mayor doesn't want a stadium there. It's easy to get to the airport from there, the surrounding areas aren't bad, and it's on a huge lot, so people really don't have to worry about the folks from the surrounding areas. The Lakers and Kings played there for years without any problems. There aren't any problems at Hollywood Park. It would make a lot more sense to build a stadium in Inglewood than in Industry.

Tearing down the Coliseum and building a new stadium there makes the most sense.

I heard they are getting rid of the race track...is it true? Ahh, how I'll miss the ponies and the degenerates. You wanna see a depressing site...go to Hollywood Park on any given race day.

crawdad
01-21-2009, 09:25 AM
The area where they are talking about building is extremely congested freeway wise now.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-21-2009, 09:26 AM
This plan spells disaster for those of us that use the Ontario airport. It is so small and convenient compared to LAX and now the NFL will screw that up!

I always thoguht LAX was a pretty easy airport to navigate and get out of. Then again im from NYC and have had to deal with the nightmare that is JFK one too many times.

crawdad
01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
LAX is a pain in the a$$ compared to Ontario!

brncs_fan
01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Indy's new airport is NICE!

theAPAOps5
01-21-2009, 09:30 AM

If anything this stadium will force Ontario to expand to meet the coming demand. It will probably be part of the Economic Stimulus Package and funded by the Airport Improvment Program where the FAA pays up to 90% of the project. Its funded by a portion of the taxes you pay when you fly. No general funds go into the trust.

But if Ontario is smart and has good planners they will push for expansion and if they do it right it will be easy to travel through still for years to come.

Kaylore
01-21-2009, 09:36 AM

Inglewood....Inglewood....Inglewood always up to no good!

socalorado
01-21-2009, 09:43 AM
The area where they are talking about building is extremely congested freeway wise now.

Dude, ALL of southern california is extremelly conjested, freeway wise.

broncofan2438
01-21-2009, 10:19 AM
It sure is a beautiful looking plan.. http://losangelesfootballstadium.com/stadium

After seeing that, the Chuggers don't deserve to be in something that nice! Chuggers can stay where they are......in a dump of a stadium

Alkazar
01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
im fine with it so long as they move a team instead of expanding.
Nah, let 'em expand! Six new teams! I think the Cheyenne Wolfpack, The LA Thugs, The Walla Walla Warriors, The South Dakota Sioux, The New Mexico Bandits, and The Kentucky Bootleggers would be GREAT!

Dendave
01-21-2009, 10:41 AM
I thought a team was moving to Chiago...

Mayor Richard M. Daley (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/politics/government/richard-m.-daley-PEPLT007475.topic) is a longtime advocate of having two NFL teams in Chicago. If memory serves, this notion was revisited during NFL owners meetings in the '80s.

"We should have a second NFL team in Chicago. If San Francisco has two, New York has two, Florida has three teams … and when you take Washington, Baltimore and Philadelphia, they have three teams there in that region, we could easily support a second pro football team," Daley recently reiterated to Mike North and Dan Jiggetts on Comcast SportsNet's "Monsters in the Morning."

"The population is here, the business community is here. ... [The NFL] should really look at Chicago."

24champ
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM

I agree, but Ontario is growing. AEG already built a new sports arena there and should be attracting many events. They already have a minor league hockey team there. Either way Ontario airport is going to expand, it was built that with the capability to expand into a larger airport.

My advice is to fly to Burbank Airport. It's always been convenient for me.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2009, 12:09 PM
No thanks.

I wouldn't mind the Lions, though I see the NFL doing the same thing the NHL did with the Penguins and prevents any type of move there. Lions are a hysterical team.

Fixed it for you, but I agree, they ain't going anywhere, they have a nice new stadium.

24champ
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
As bad as the NFL wants a team in LA, Toronto is the league's gateway into the Canadian market. Just as significant in terms of dollars and cents. Lets not forget Toronto is a huge media market. A cosmopolitan city on par with Chicago.

I've been to Toronto. It's one of the nicest cities I have been to. I have nothing against Toronto, nor am I saying it's a dump.

My point is, there currently is no plan of bringing an NFL team to Toronto. They haven't addressed a lot of issues, namely stadium issues. Right now, Los Angeles is already ahead because Ed Roski has a plan for a stadium and it's looking like it will be built by 2011 at the earliest.

Alkazar
01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Fixed it for you, but I agree, they ain't going anywhere, they have a nice new stadium.

Posted it on another thread, but recently talked to a Detroit fan and he explained what LIONS stands for: Losing In Our New Statium.
Just thought I'd pass that along.

Inkana7
01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
The NFL needs a new expansion team. The Los Angeles Dons sounds awesome.

crawdad
01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I agree, but Ontario is growing. AEG already built a new sports arena there and should be attracting many events. They already have a minor league hockey team there. Either way Ontario airport is going to expand, it was built that with the capability to expand into a larger airport.

My advice is to fly to Burbank Airport. It's always been convenient for me.

I know, I know, but Ontario is always so easy and less congested. SW flies to JW as well.

Jason in LA
01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I heard they are getting rid of the race track...is it true? Ahh, how I'll miss the ponies and the degenerates. You wanna see a depressing site...go to Hollywood Park on any given race day.

Yep, they're getting rid of the race track. I don't think they get good attendance there. They're going to build a shopping center with a movie theater and resturants. It should be a lot better than that track. I think they are going to keep the casino.