PDA

View Full Version : Broncos RAID Chargers staff for D-Line coach Nunnely!

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 02:42 PM
This story was broken by orangeandblueblooded.

Broncos Hire Away Chargers D-Line Coach Nunnely

If the Broncos are going to learn how to play the 3-4 defense, they better get some coaches who can teach it.

Wayne Nunnely can not only coach the 3-4, he guided the vaunted defensive line of the rival San Diego Chargers for the past 12 years.

In what has to be considered an AFC West coaching coup, the Broncos signed Nunnely to a two-year contract Tuesday to become their new defensive line coach.

"It's a change that I felt I needed to do at this stage of my career," said Nunnely, 56. "I've had a great 12 years here with the Chargers through three or four different head coaches and a number of coordinators and I just felt like I needed a new challenge, a new environment."

After coaching such natural 3-4 linemen as noseguard Jamal Williams, tackle Luis Castillo and end Igor Olshansky with the Chargers in recent years, Nunnely's challenge with the Broncos will be to both find new D-line personal, and teach alternate techniques to existing players who are accustomed to playing in the 4-3 defense.
http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_11500402?source=rss

oubronco
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Good

Natedog24
01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
After coaching such natural 3-4 linemen as noseguard Jamal Williams, tackle Luis Castillo and end Igor Olshansky with the Chargers in recent years,

Does he get to take those guys with him to his new job?

SouthStndJunkie
Great addition to the coaching staff.

I think Denver has assembled a pretty good defensive coaching staff so far.

no-pseudo-fan
Maybe McD knows what he is doing.

cutthemdown
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Good you guys get the new coaches you wanted, even though IMO Broncos coaches were not the problem.

Hopefully Broncos will get them some better talent. If Broncos don't have 4-5 new starters on defense next yr they will stink again and they will lose.

hades
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Shanahan seems like a distant memory now, I forsee good things!

Although I liked/like the guy, we needed a shakeup to right the ship!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Good you guys get the new coaches you wanted, even though IMO Broncos coaches were not the problem.

Hopefully Broncos will get them some better talent. If Broncos don't have 4-5 new starters on defense next yr they will stink again and they will lose.

Your avatar always makes me long for my old reebok pumps

24champ
01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
even though IMO Broncos coaches were not the problem.

Burney was a problem, and thankfully McD is kicking his ass out the door.

wolf754life
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM
the rev says we are no running a 3-4, hmmm, wonder why they hired this guy!

lol @ rev.

sorry rev things they are a changin in bronco land, let it go fanboy!

cutthemdown
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Your avatar always makes me long for my old reebok pumps

It makes me long for kicking ass and winning Superbowls.

supermanhr9
01-20-2009, 02:52 PM
if you can't beat em, hire their ass

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Boltaneer, JJJ, BigBad, NWBoltFan, rustyfari, 400HZ and buckingkeading can all go **** themselves. :chargstin

mod note: using spacing or other means of circumventing the language filter in order to display a vulgar or profane word in uncensored form is grounds for temporary loss of posting privileges.

no-pseudo-fan
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
step 1 of the master plan. Steal D-line Coach for Chargers. Check

BMarsh615
01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Does he get to take those guys with him to his new job?
We might be able to pick up Igor:wiggle:
Igor Olshansky Doubts He'll Resign With The Chargers

Igor Olshansky came to San Diego full of promise. A raw product coming out of the University of Oregon, the Chargers were enamored with his freakish size and strength. From a physical standpoint, Olshansky was the prototype Defensive End to play in the team's freshly installed 3-4 defense. The Chargers selected the mammoth Ukrainian with the 35th overall pick of the 2004 NFL Draft.

Olshansky became an immediate starter for the Chargers, playing in 75 games over the course of his five year contract with the team. But that contract has now expired, and however much Igor would love to stay with the San Diego Chargers, he sees the writing on the wall:

"I would love to be back with the Chargers. I love the fans, I love the city, I love the team. But my mind is telling me, probably not. Looking at the history of the Chargers, they usually take care of players early. Not many players go out to free agency and come back to the Chargers. The only person I can remember doing that was Kris Dielman."

Olshansky is an interesting player; for all the potential in his 6'6" 300lbs frame, he's never really developed into an impact defensive end. He's been a solid starter, sure. But has he lived up to his lofty draft status, just a few picks outside of the first round? If you ask me, I would argue that he has not lived up to his potential, but I don't think he has plateaued, either. The Chargers took Olshansky knowing that he would be a project; he hadn't even played organized football until late in his high school career. And even then, he was getting by on brute strength alone. In the pros, Igor has yet to make that leap into being an elite defensive linemen. But to the man's credit, he has improved every year, albeit at maybe an elephant's pace and not a cheetah's:

The last 10 ten games I was very, very effective. I was a dominant player. I was a dominant run stopper, and when I had my opportunities to rush the passer I laid the quarterback out completely. I felt I was playing the best football in my career over the last 10 games. But when youíre only playing 20 snaps a game, and youíre getting 2-3 tackles and hitting the quarterback once, thatís pretty effective.

It's clear that Igor feels he's played well down the stretch, but he's at a loss as to why his playing time was cut so dramatically. It's been pretty obvious that the Chargers have rotated Olshansky out on third downs and obvious passing situations, due primarily to his perceived lack of pass rush ability. Its no secret the Chargers defense have struggled mightily in the passing game this year, finding it difficult to get after the quarterback and to get off the field on third down. Guys like Jacque Cesaire and Ryon Bingham have gotten increased playing time this year at the expense of Olshansky. Are the Chargers preparing the successors to Olshansky, or are these other guys simply better pass rushers while not necessarily being better football players?

I had a feeling that I might not be in their plans for the future, and that theyíd rather play their other players and only use me when they absolutely had to. Last year I took 65% of the snaps, thatís about 38-40 snaps a game. This year, Iíve taken probably 20-25 snaps a game. In the beginning of the season I played more. But ever since the coaching change, my planning time has been cut in half.

Whose call was it to play Olshansky less? Did that come from the new defensive coordinator? The defensive line coach? Or perhaps it came from upstairs?

Iím not blaming anyone. I donít know what the reason is. But it was definitely something. In [the playoff game against the Steelers] I had 5 tackles, Jamal Williams had 5 tackles. That was the most important game of the season. No one else was really that productive. Why would you cut a productive playerís playing time?

Itís a tricky thing, dealing with coaches and knowing your role. I had to know my role on the team. I didnít want to make any problems for anybody. I didnít want to make problems for myself and be a distraction. So I quickly realized my role on the team; if we call your number, you get out there and play your ass off. If we donít, you sit on the sideline until you are called up again. So thatís basically the role I played this year. When they called me I went out there and played my butt off. And when they didnít, I sat quietly on the sidelines, jumping around, stretching, and making sure I stayed warm.

The same thing happened with Drayton Florence two years ago. He played a lot in the beginning of the year, and later on in the season you barely saw him.

If you ask me, Igor Olshansky has done everything he's supposed do to warrant a contract extension. Like he said, he's kept his mouth shut and he's gone out there and played hard. He's been very durable throughout his career in San Diego, something his teammate and fellow defensive lineman Luis Castillo has struggled with. Considering the Chargers serious lack of depth along the defensive line, I am finding it hard to believe they would pass up an opportunity to re-sign Olshansky. Perhaps they feel he'll be too costly for them? But lets not forget, this is the same San Diego Chargers front office that made Luis Castillo one of the highest paid defensive ends in the league. And just for kicks, lets compare the two player's numbers this season:

Igor Olshansky
29 tackles, 2 sacks, 0 FF, 0 INT

Luis Castillo
39 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT

Pretty comparable, especially when you take into account that Olshanksy was not on the field as much as Castillo was. Impact plays make you a lot of money in the league, and Castillo certainly has the greater knack for that than does Olshanksy. But there is a place for Igor on this team. It takes a certain type of player to play defense line in the 3-4, a scheme requiring their linemen to eat up blocks, hold the line of scrimmage, and generally remain anonymous while the linebackers make the plays. It's why the highest profile defensive linemen are playing in 4-3s. Playing on the Chargers defensive line is not a job full of glory, it's one of guts and grunts:

My problem was when [Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune] said that basically I didnít matter. Everything I had done in the last five years didnít matter. I was expendable. Basically saying no one cared about me. That hurt my feelings a little bit. I played injured; I played hurt like everybody else obviously. This is a rough game. But I gave my blood, sweat, and tears to this program for the last five years. I kept my mouth shut, kept my nose to the grindstone, and busted my butt to help my team. But when someone says that all of that doesnít really matter, then thatís not cool.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-20-2009, 03:07 PM

Go stick a metal knife into a plugged in toaster.

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Best news of the day (aside from the whole Inaugeration thingy which, I'm sure, has you all hot and bothered Mr. Buffman)!

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 03:12 PM
I wanna see Marcus Thomas at 3-4 DE ... I think he can be as good there as Igor is. Imo, Ekuban will be excellent there, too ... he was moving inside oin passing downs in the 4-3 already, so his skills set for 3-4 DE sounds good to me.

BTW, Olshansky is not a free agent according to Scout.com ... and we saw with their brain-damaged handling of Michael Tuner and others that the Bolts don't like to trade guys a year before UFA status, even for a 2nd rounder.

SoDak Bronco
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Wow that is a surprise, freaking awesome!!! What do Charger fan have to say about this guy? besides that he is a traitor and sucks?

Houshyamama
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
http://forumspile.com/That-Is-Excellent-MrBurns.jpg

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Wow that is a surprise, freaking awesome!!! What do Charger fan have to say about this guy? besides that he is a traitor and sucks?

Hochuli is to blame.

eddie mac
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I wanna see Marcus Thomas at 3-4 DE ... I think he can be as good there as Igor is. Imo, Ekuban will be excellent there, too ... he was moving inside oin passing downs in the 4-3 already, so his skills set for 3-4 DE sounds good to me.

BTW, Olshansky is not a free agent according to Scout.com ... and we saw with their brain-damaged handling of Michael Tuner and others that the Bolts don't like to trade guys a year before UFA status, even for a 2nd rounder.

Olshansky can personally void his final year.

Popps
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Here comes the 3-4.

Popps
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Where's 400 HZ? He's the only non-douche-bag Charger fan around here.

What's the book on this guy? He's certainly developed some good results from the front seven. But, he's had personnel, too.

I love it... winds of change!

footstepsfrom#27
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Not even if we had to start Moss at the NT spot.

Kaylore
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
"It's a change that I felt I needed to do at this stage of my career," said Nunnely, 56. "I've had a great 12 years here with the Chargers through three or four different head coaches and a number of coordinators and I just felt like I needed a new challenge, a new environment."

Translation: I work for Norv Turner and would rather hang myself then look at his crater-ridden mug and listen to his I'm-about-to-bust-into-tears blubbering one more second.

400HZ
01-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Getting a 3rd round pick via the compensation system vs turning down a 2nd round pick (probably) for an extra year from an excellent player like Turner is hardly "brain damaged." The Chargers weren't rebuilding that year, they were competing for a champsionship.

Olshansky is a free agent, and you guys can have him.

outdoor_miner
01-20-2009, 03:24 PM

But but but... McDaniels is a complete and total fool and only hires coaches who have the same agent as him!!!

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Igor Olshansky can eat a penis. I don't want his b**** ass in here. All that guy does is whine.

eddie mac
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Getting a 3rd round pick via the compensation system vs turning down a 2nd round pick (probably) for an extra year from an excellent player like Turner is hardly "brain damaged." The Chargers weren't rebuilding that year, they were competing for a champsionship.

**** Olshansky, what's your assessment of Nunnely???

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM

From reading the Chargers boards, 3/4 of Chargers fans agree with you about Olshansky. He's garbage.

400HZ
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Where's 400 HZ? He's the only non-douche-bag Charger fan around here.

What's the book on this guy? He's certainly developed some good results from the front seven. But, he's had personnel, too.

I love it... winds of change!

He's certainly been around for a while and coached some excellent units. He doesn't have any upwards mobility with San Diego though with Rivera coming back and John Pagano (LB coach) already tacitly designated as the up and comer protege, so maybe that was he reason for leaving. He didn't get much from our two defensive ends this year, but that's not neccessarily his fault since they have performed well previously in his tenure. He's not strictly 3-4 guy either. He coached during our 4-3 years, also.

baja
01-20-2009, 03:33 PM

This is probably more Nolen.

gyldenlove
01-20-2009, 03:39 PM
I think Nunnely is a good signing, he has experience in coaching up young guys, most of the Chargers D-line are Chargers draft picks, and they clearly have had a lot of success.

lex
01-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Maybe...but sometimes its also more about who you get rid of than who you get after that.

ZONA
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
It depends, if we can snag Igor for low to medium dollars, it's good for depth. You have a guy who has played 3-4, knows the DL coach and is solid. Maybe not spectacular but not a weak spot either. You can't draft everybody you need in the 1st year of rebuilding the defense so you will need a few transition guys to stay as stop gaps. IMO, I think we need to spend the drafts on NT, Safety and some LB's. I'd like to give Thomas and Ekuban a shot at starting at the ends and sign a guy like Igor for backup or depth then to spend high picks at DE. We can use a later round pick for DE but that guy isn't going to beat out Igor his 1st year anyway.

Again, if you can get this guy for cheap or medium price for a short term 2 year contract, it's worth it.

bowtown
01-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Maybe...but sometimes its also more about who you get rid of than who you get after that.

You really must be made of a million little menstruating vaginas.

400HZ
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
It depends, if we can snag Igor for low to medium dollars, it's good for depth. You have a guy who has played 3-4, knows the DL coach and is solid. Maybe not spectacular but not a weak spot either. You can't draft everybody you need in the 1st year of rebuilding the defense so you will need a few transition guys to stay as stop gaps. IMO, I think we need to spend the drafts on NT, Safety and some LB's. I'd like to give Thomas and Ekuban a shot at starting at the ends and sign a guy like Igor for backup or depth then to spend high picks at DE. We can use a later round pick for DE but that guy isn't going to beat out Igor his 1st year anyway.

Again, if you can get this guy for cheap or medium price for a short term 2 year contract, it's worth it.

He's played well enough in the past that someone will give him a decent sized longterm contract. I'd guess $17-20 million over five years.

bowtown
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
He's played well enough in the past that someone will give him a decent sized longterm contract. I'd guess $17-20 million over five years.

If we bring him infor a visit, we should make sure Nalen is on the welcoming comitee... and maybe Spider too.

boltaneer
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Nunnley is a great d-line coach. But he needs talent to work with so he needs Denver to draft some talent on the d-line.

Not thrilled to see him go but I think it's good news that they're letting Rivera assemble his defensive staff.

Haroldthebarrel
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
It seems pretty obvious what McD's plan in his interview with Bowlen was.
Bear in mind Bowlen wanted to retain the quality staff especially at offense.
Keep the offensive staff intact, build upon what was done, and help Cutler.
Get a quality veteran coach on defense. Then have him surround himself with other veteran coaches to lay the foundation for the defense. Probably a 3-4 defense eventually.

Doesnt this make sense?

Los Broncos
01-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Good to see some change coming, 3-4 here we come.

oubronco
01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Igor Olshansky can bend me over a rock. I don't want his b**** ass in here. All that guy does is whine.

WTF? seriously WTF?

oubronco
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm just happy Slowdick isn't here anymore

Ninjatime
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
WTF? seriously WTF?

It edits something like suck a peepee to bend me over a rock.

Rohirrim
01-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I love the idea of the Broncos going back to the 3-4, but I don't want the team to reach this year in a rush to get there. Get the LBs and S this year. Next year, Mount Cody. ;D

Br0nc0Buster
01-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Well it is nice to have some competent defensive coaches.
Hopefully this guy can give us some results.
I really hope we get a lineman or OLB with our first pick.

Gotta build up the front seven because outside of Doom, Thomas, and DJ, it is trash

Inkana7
01-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Good hire. Now get some legit D-Linemen.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Next year, Mount Cody. ;D

Terrance Cody?

Br0nc0Buster
01-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Terrance Cody?

yes, he is a large man

broncofan2438
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Igor will never sign with Denver...He hates Denver

bronco0608
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Translation: I work for Norv Turner and would rather hang myself then look at his crater-ridden mug and listen to his I'm-about-to-bust-into-tears blubbering one more second.

Correction: "I'm looking for job stability. Face it, unless good ol' Norv wins a championship next year, he is as good as gone. And you know what happens when the head coach gets fired? The rest of the coaches are pretty much goners as well. Why Denver? Because they got a new coach, and they don't fire new coaches after a year. A bird in a hand is worth twenty in a bushel."

NASurfer
01-20-2009, 04:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

SpiritGuy
01-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Looks like the filled out the rest of the D coaching staff too.

Wayne Nunnely, whose contract was not renewed by the San Diego Chargers, will coach the defensive line, Raiders assistant Don Martindale will coach linebackers and longtime NFL assistant Ed Donatell the defensive backs.

Found Here (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/20/broncos-fill-out-defensive-staff/?partner=RSS)

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 05:04 PM
WTF? seriously WTF?

Try typing eat a richard (insert shortened version of Richard that also describes the male peepee). Taco has the filter change it to bend me over a rock. Its actually pretty damn funny.

montrose
01-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm feeling better and better about this staff.

Inkana7
01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
All we're missing now is a TE coach.

SpiritGuy
01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
did they actually sign the special teams coach from KC?

Broncoman13
01-20-2009, 05:12 PM

I've negative repped one person in the last year... this post is worthy of a 2nd!

ScottXray
01-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Well it is nice to have some competent defensive coaches.
Hopefully this guy can give us some results.
I really hope we get a lineman or OLB with our first pick.

Gotta build up the front seven because outside of Doom, Thomas, and DJ, it is trash

I like the hire. seems like the Defensive staff being put together has experience running both 3-4 and 4-3. Mainly we have new coaches that have run BOTH schemes and are experienced at evaluating the talent in place and in FA and draft. My thought is they will start looking at film ASAP to see what best fits the personnel we have, and to see whether they can perform soon (this year) or they have to wait a bit.

I think they will put heads together and see whats in place and decide if its possible to go 3-4 this year, or whether they will run 4-3 with the mindset to go 3-4 next year.

At least they have the coaches that know HOW to run a defense now.

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
All we're missing now is a TE coach.

I actually think they named someone as TE coach. I heard it on the radio but can't remember his name.

SpiritGuy
01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Found this tidbit but? They all join defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who was Mc- Daniels' first hire, on the new Broncos staff. Mike Priefer, formerly the Chiefs special teams coach, will be the Broncos' new special teams coach and former 49ers assistant Adam Gase will coach wide receivers.

found here (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/18/broncos-name-mccoy-offensive-coordinator/)

montrose
01-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I actually think they named someone as TE coach. I heard it on the radio but can't remember his name.

There were some candidates but no one formally named I believe.

Br0nc0Buster
01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Does anyone think McDaniels has like an AFC West theme going on, or is it just a coincidence?

We have a Charger coach for the Dline
A Raider coach for the linebackers.
Nolan(who was once in the AFC West) as coordinator.
A Chief coach for special teams.
Donatell also was once in the AFC West as well I think, and he could be the defensive backs coach.

Outside of McCoy and Gase(?) dont we have all current or former AFC West position coaches and coordinators?

TonyR
01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Just FYI, Nunnely was getting canned by the chargers so we didn't exactly "steal" him...

BRONCOS BAG FORMER BOLT
Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2009, 7:16 p.m. EST
On the same day that the Denver Broncos are reportedly close to landing the linebackers coach of the Oakland Raiders, the Broncos have hired the former defensive line coach of the San Diego Chargers.

Wayne Nunnely has signed a two-year contract to bring his 3-4 expertise to Denver, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

ďItís a change that I felt I needed to do at this stage of my career,Ē Nunnely said. ďIíve had a great 12 years here with the Chargers through three or four different head coaches and a number of coordinators and I just felt like I needed a new challenge, a new environment.Ē

Likely enhancing Nunnelyís incentive was the fact that the Chargers didnít, you know, want him back.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/20/broncos-bag-former-bolt/

TonyR
01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Here's the AP story saying Nunnely was "dismissed".

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/01/20/sports/s141051S74.DTL

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Igor will never sign with Denver...He hates DenverThe feeling is plenty mutual.

No thanks Igor .... comrade.

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/01/20/sports/s141051S74.DTL

The timing there is pretty suspicious ... hmmm... although, the hiring story in the Denver Post was about 45 minutes after the San Fran Gate story. The timing of the two newspapers means very little, but still.

Remember how happy many of us are that longtimne D-line coach Burney is gone .... could bee a similar thing.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
bend me over a rock.

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 06:23 PM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71423805.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB62D2ABD6D757E223 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

If that is ALL you bring to the party Mr Engleberger?!

What good ARE you then?!

boltaneer
01-20-2009, 06:27 PM

His contract expired.

They're letting Rivera choose his staff (evident by the two recent coaching hires) and not work with the Cottrell staff. Though, Nunnley wasn't a Cottrell guy.

HEAV
01-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Love the 3-4!

I just hope Marcus Thomas is enjoying his offseason and eating all the carbs he can!

Need a big fatty at the nose!

Sadly this means that Doom-er-ville may be gone.

BreesLightning
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM

Silly Donkeys...BTW how did that Marlon Mcree coup work out for you?

Inkana7
01-20-2009, 07:02 PM

http://flabbergastedly.com/wp-content/uploads/chat%20billeder%202/oh%20you.jpg

cutthemdown
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM

lol at calling us silly. What's silly is a team that can never and has never won a Superbowl walking around and acting like they are something.

Chargers are one of the most pathetic franchises since the merger in terms of choking away yrs they have talent.

Popcorn Sutton
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
The feeling is plenty mutual.

No thanks Igor .... comrade.

Agreed, I've never seen him do anything more than run his mouth.

Arkansas Bronco
01-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Boltaneer, JJJ, BigBad, NWBoltFan, rustyfari, 400HZ and buckingkeading can all go **** themselves. :chargstin

mod note: using spacing or other means of circumventing the language filter in order to display a vulgar or profane word in uncensored form is grounds for temporary loss of posting privileges.

Ouch!!! Better be glad no pics of Kangaroo's are in there.

Dedhed
01-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Why is a Saints fan posting here?

Broncojef
01-20-2009, 07:22 PM
lol at calling us silly. What's silly is a team that can never and has never won a Superbowl walking around and acting like they are something.

Chargers are one of the most pathetic franchises since the merger in terms of choking away yrs they have talent.

Hopefully they won enough this year to save Norv as the pointman for a few more years. He should have them right back in the tank where they belong at that point.

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Ouch!!! Better be glad no pics of Kangaroo's are in there.

What I think is hilarious is all of a sudden they are cracking down on this. So is it not okay to say fvck, shiat, etc.

They have let this go since I have been here then all of a sudden they are cracking down? This place can be so confusing sometimes.

azbroncfan
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
He's not strictly 3-4 guy either. He coached during our 4-3 years, also.

Good point. I alson think that it doesn't just stop with him and any coach in the NFL has the ability to coach either system. If you give them the right players 90 percent of these guys didn't make it to this level being stupid. How many coaches have only coached one system their whole career? Not many.

baja
01-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Good point. I alson think that it doesn't just stop with him and any coach in the NFL has the ability to coach either system. <b> If you give them the right players 90 percent of these guys didn't make it to this level being stupid.</b> How many coaches have only coached one system their whole career? Not many.

Does that mean that 10% took the stupidity path to success?

Atlas
01-20-2009, 09:33 PM

Bowlen could get him to Denver.

http://z.hubpages.com/u/271134_f520.jpg

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Bowlen wouldn't alienate his fan base by signing that piece of trash. The guy is a bitch.

Natedog24
01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I would LOVE to see Igor in Denver, of course that might just be the Oregon fan in me speaking, but I personally feel that he would bring an attitude that our defense has been severely lacking for a long time now.

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I would LOVE to see Igor in Denver, of course that might just be the Oregon fan in me speaking, but I personally feel that he would bring an attitude that our defense has been severely lacking for a long time now.

The guy has always been a whiner and a baby. That is the opposite of what Denver is trying to go to. Denver wants men who are tough, hard nosed, punch you in the face on the field types. Not pansy ass fairies who cry off the field to the media because they are scared to run their mouth on the field for fear they will get beat down.

That guy is a talentless hack who San Diego fans don't even want who tries to over compensate by acting tough and bitching at a camera.

400HZ
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Good point. I alson think that it doesn't just stop with him and any coach in the NFL has the ability to coach either system. If you give them the right players 90 percent of these guys didn't make it to this level being stupid. How many coaches have only coached one system their whole career? Not many.

When it comes to positional coaches, it's the working relationship with their respective coordinator and head coach that makes them valuable in the grand scheme of things. When Nunelly coached our 3-4 set it was both one-gap and occasional two-gap gameplans. The same individual assignments that every defensive linemen plays at various times no matter what the scheme is. He is not some genious that is going to turn turd players into 3-4 dynamos. I'd be more excitied about Matindale if I was you guys.

400HZ
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Does that mean that 10% took the stupidity path to success?

There is alot more parity at the coaching level in the NFL than there is at the player level. Bill Belichek makes like 1/4 what Leonard Davis does.

Drek
01-21-2009, 02:36 AM
When it comes to positional coaches, it's the working relationship with their respective coordinator and head coach that makes them valuable in the grand scheme of things. When Nunelly coached our 3-4 set it was both one-gap and occasional two-gap gameplans. The same individual assignments that every defensive linemen plays at various times no matter what the scheme is. He is not some genious that is going to turn turd players into 3-4 dynamos. I'd be more excitied about Matindale if I was you guys.

I think the excitement over Nunelly is that the previous DL coaches basically just yelled a lot and didn't actually teach much, hence Marcus Thomas once basically saying that he bull rushes every down because he doesn't know anything else and Moss and Crowder both doing basically the same thing.

They all might have talent, just no one has shown them how to focus and develop it. Even mild competency at the DL coaching spot will let us know if its the players or the lack of coaching that held them back their first few years.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 04:35 AM
the rev says we are no running a 3-4, hmmm, wonder why they hired this guy!

lol @ rev.

sorry rev things they are a changin in bronco land, let it go fanboy!

Wolf,

I WANT a 3-4. I like it significantly better than the 4-3. I just don't think the coaches will think we have the personnel to pull the trigger. Thank you for involving me in this thread a full day before I was able to post in it.

Sincerely,
TheReverend

barryr
01-21-2009, 06:16 AM
It's a great hire IMO.

HooptyHoops
01-21-2009, 07:01 AM
I think it's a great hire...he has had great Dlines and coached pro-bowlers...something Denver hasn't done in years!

BroncoInferno
01-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Sadly this means that Doom-er-ville may be gone.

We can probably keep him and use him in the sort of hybrid DE/OLB mold that the Dolphins did with Taylor when they were running the 3-4 with Saban. Actually, that type of role probably suits him better.

USMCBladerunner
01-21-2009, 08:50 AM
If we bring him infor a visit, we should make sure Nalen is on the welcoming comitee... and maybe Spider too.

sweet!:thumbsup:

montrose
01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
We can probably keep him and use him in the sort of hybrid DE/OLB mold that the Dolphins did with Taylor when they were running the 3-4 with Saban. Actually, that type of role probably suits him better.

I imagine if Doom's not traded, he'll compete at the WOLB position.

bronco militia
01-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Bowlen wouldn't alienate his fan base by signing that piece of trash. The guy is a b****.

:spit:

starting today?

LOL

BuckinKaeding
01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

thwack

Go ahead, you can have him.

A big part of our D-Line for the last 12 years has been Jamal Williams.

I don't know if you noticed, but this past year our D-Line sucked.

Good Luck w/ him.

barryr
01-21-2009, 01:14 PM
thwack

Go ahead, you can have him.

A big part of our D-Line for the last 12 years has been Jamal Williams.

I don't know if you noticed, but this past year our D-Line sucked.

Good Luck w/ him.

Your head coach sucks, but you're keeping him.

theAPAOps5
01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
:spit:

starting today?

LOL

I haven't seen him do anything to alienate the fan base.

bronco militia
01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
I haven't seen him do anything to alienate the fan base.

but he had no problem with Dale Carter, IHOP, and Travis Henry

Ha!

cutthemdown
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Who cares anyways it's all about the players you draft or sign. If Broncos get a couple of good players on the dline then the coach will look good. If we don't the coach will look bad.

When a player like Haynesworth dominates a guy and tosses him backwards that's not coaching. That's one player dominating the other play. You can't coach some things. Sure a good coach will be one the players enjoy playing for, that can get them in the right spots, but in the end it's up to the players to make plays.

By this level most fundamentals should be learned already. When it comes to pass rushing skill a lot of that is just talent. Sure a good d coord can get guys free on blitzes and gimmicks but in the end you need great players to have a great defense.

theAPAOps5
01-21-2009, 01:50 PM
but he had no problem with Dale Carter, IHOP, and Travis Henry

Ha!

Ah that was Shanny. Thats my point. Which I believe was one factor that helped puch Bowlen over the edge.