PDA

View Full Version : First Round Shakeup: Lions will NOT draft a quarterback

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 01:21 PM
According to Rotoworld and some site called MLive.com, it looks like the Lions are gonna stick with Kitna next season, and give Drew Stanton a shot to prove himself. Stanton is really a stud, just ask Big Guy ;D

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8172/47684719xp5.jpg

So how does this change the first round? Do the chefs go for Stafford at 3? Does that move Raji and/or Rey-Rey one step further away from #12?

socalorado
01-20-2009, 01:57 PM
According to Rotoworld and some site called MLive.com, it looks like the Lions are gonna stick with Kitna next season, and give Drew Stanton a shot to prove himself. Stanton is really a stud, just ask Big Guy ;D

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8172/47684719xp5.jpg

So how does this change the first round? Do the chefs go for Stafford at 3? Does that move Raji and/or Rey-Rey one step further away from #12?

Well, i would say that the teams that might need a QB are the
#3 Chefs
#10 SF
#19 TB
#20 DET (remember DET has two picks!)
#22 MIN

So this might help DEN trade back if say a dirty Sanchez was still there #12, and a team like TB wanted to grab a Rookie. I cant imagine MIN not at least being interested in moving up. I also heard a rumor that SF might be inclined to trade a pick to WASH for Colt Brennen.

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I forgot about Sanchez ... maybe Shanahan goes to KC and finally gets his USC QB ;D

This is a shakeup, though ... every mock draft I can find including some done just this weekend, have Detroit taking Stafford. If they take a position player instead, that pulls everybody back a spot. ???

Rohirrim
01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
So the Lions feel they can just go ahead and expect to have the #1 pick next year as well? That's confidence. ;D

goldengopher1976
01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Maybe they'll continue their amazing run and take Crabtree? :thumbs:

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Crabtree is a Seahawk .... HANDS OFF!

goldengopher1976
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Crabtree is a Seahawk .... HANDS OFF!

Guess I hit a nerve there...ROFL!

On the serious side, I suppose this probably means they will look to draft a cornerstone LT. It doesn't seem like there is any other position with a value pick at #1.

lex
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Guess I hit a nerve there...ROFL!

On the serious side, I suppose this probably means they will look to draft a cornerstone LT. It doesn't seem like there is any other position with a value pick at #1.

Mayock has probably raved most about Curry.

driver
01-20-2009, 07:57 PM
IMO if they don't go for the QB they'll be looking for a 2nd Barry Sanders. I don't see one in this draft worth a #1. Same with OT, not worth #1. Maybe they trade back for a player and more picks?

ludo21
01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
if i were the Lions id trade back, but who wants that number 1 pick? Is there even a player wothy of that spot this year?

driver
01-20-2009, 08:14 PM
if i were the Lions id trade back, but who wants that number 1 pick? Is there even a player wothy of that spot this year?

Best players are Curry and Raji but neither rate the #1 pick status IMO. Depends on need I guess.:wave:

bpc
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
This also could be posturing trying to drum up trade interest.

Listen, Detroit needs a top franchise QB. Kitna is not that, unlikely Stanton is either. I know Swartz is a defensive guy but Detroit really needs to go QB at 1, OT at 2 just like Atlanta did last year. They already have a decent HB and great WR in place. They just need to keep building the offense. They can spend some FA money on a few defensive guys. Maybe Swartz at DC puts them in the drivers seat to land Haynesworth. That would be a huge coup for them.

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
IMO if they don't go for the QB they'll be looking for a 2nd Barry Sanders. I don't see one in this draft worth a #1. Same with OT, not worth #1. Maybe they trade back for a player and more picks?

that's exactly what detroit should, trade down...

goldengopher1976
01-20-2009, 08:47 PM
that's exactly what detroit should, trade down...

Yeah, but like Ludo21 said, who's gonna trade for that pick? As we've seen the last few years, the worst place to draft is #1. They're going to be stuck with the pick in all likelihood, and if they're not going to draft a QB, I really do think that they will go OT. Mayock may love Curry, but unless he's the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, he's not worth the Lions #1 pick.

QB and then OT seems the most sensible. Good thing Matt Millen isn't still there...

TheDave
01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
**** it... I'm still picking Stafford ;D

driver
01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
This also could be posturing trying to drum up trade interest.

Listen, Detroit needs a top franchise QB. Kitna is not that, unlikely Stanton is either. I know Swartz is a defensive guy but Detroit really needs to go QB at 1, OT at 2 just like Atlanta did last year. They already have a decent HB and great WR in place. They just need to keep building the offense. They can spend some FA money on a few defensive guys. Maybe Swartz at DC puts them in the drivers seat to land Haynesworth. That would be a huge coup for them.

You're right but remember they are setting there with the 1 and 20 picks in the first rnd. Stafford is the concensus best QB but Sanchez isn't to bad either(I like him better than Stafford) so maybe they do the trade to someone for a pick in the 8 to17 range plus a 2nd or 3rd rnd then they get a tackle and a qb and a player to be named later. Depends on who's hungry.:approve:

Requiem
01-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Why draft a QB if you're the Lions? You know sure **** you're gonna suck cock next year anyways and have a shot at the top guys again. May as well make the first-rounders you got this year worth it.

ludo21
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
its true, they could draft BPA both spots and then go Bradford next season at 1

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 09:19 PM

I like that strategy ... thems the kinda ballsy moves that won the Falcons the NFC South, even without much contribution from Sam Baker. If you're walking into that black hole in Detroit, you wanna shake things up with BIG moves ... not ass-sitting chess-play.

bpc
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Detroit is in a great position. They do have Kitna around for another year or two to groom a guy like Stafford and put an offensive line in place. Pick 2 or #20, you're looking at a guy like Oher there which would be a nice fit for them. You have a high second, 2 thirds and moving on down. They could easily land a guy like Loadholt and the OL is in great shape moving forward. It makes too much sense.

The defense is a work in progress. They need help across the board. That's why they brought in a defensive guy to be the HC.

Detroit can get good in a year or two if they play their cards right. GB, Chicago and Minnesota all have blatant flaws. If Detroit adds a franchise QB, they could be up and running for a division championship within a two year period.