PDA

View Full Version : Movies Coming Soon or Out Currently Worth Seeing?

Pages : [1] 2

Miss I.
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
for Rental or theatre viewings either is cool. Anything you want to see or have seen and want to recommend.

I saw this preview today and it looks funny. I also highly recommend against seeing My Bloody Valentine 3D, pretty bad, pretty sure I got dumber.

But here's the one I think looks funny: I Love You, Man

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S5FWp-k1QMI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S5FWp-k1QMI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
for Rental or theatre viewings either is cool. Anything you want to see or have seen and want to recommend.

I saw this preview today and it looks funny. I also highly recommend against seeing My Bloody Valentine 3D, pretty bad, pretty sure I got dumber.

But here's the one I think looks funny: I Love You, Man

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S5FWp-k1QMI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S5FWp-k1QMI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

strange... looks like a chick flick for guys, how wierd is that?

spdirty
01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
saw Gran Turino friday. Excellent flick, one of Eastwoods best.

slyinky
01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
"The Fall." Obscure film that I caught a couple months back. Unique story with great cinematography. Highly recommended.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iO0LYcCoeJY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iO0LYcCoeJY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Crushaholic
01-19-2009, 08:01 PM
"Lakeview Terrace" was suprisingly good. I had heard some bad reviews, so I stayed away until it came to the cheap theater. I really enjoyed Samuel L. Jackson playing a "questionable character cop"...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oNPLbjtrkEw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oNPLbjtrkEw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Miss I.
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM

Funny, I just had this conversation with my friend Brian. He said that Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Knocked Up and 40 Year old Virgin all fell into that category. I kind of see them as a good compromise, enough stupid boy stuff to make the guys happy, with a bit of a gooey stuff for the girls without being overly sappy (I am not a huge fan of most chick flicks because they all tend to use the same girl cliches, girls get together singing, dancing around at slumber parties, talking about boyfriends...there are a few exceptions). As for this film, I like Paul Rudd, he tends to be a bit ascerbic and I like that, though unfortunately I read he is a Chiefs fan, poor thing.;)

snowspot66
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Benjamin Button was pretty good. Most movies out now suck though.

Dagmar
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Frost / Nixon was immense.

As was The Wrestler.

scttgrd
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Check out Taken with Liam Neeson, it comes out at the end of the month. I've seen it, don't ask how.

Chris
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Slumdog Millionaire - currently out in select cities

The most simply entertaining 2 hours ive had at the movies in a long time.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - this movie, while quite hollywood, wowed me with its technology but more so made me sombrely reflect on family and the passage of time. It's a beautiful film.

Gran Torino - Clint Eastwood is my favourite director. He doesn't disappoint here. There's a suprising amout of humour here... and his symbolism is in full force. Great little movie.

Man on Wire (DVD / Netflix instant) - Riveting documentary about the guy that tight roped between the two WTC towers in 74.

Iraq in Fragments (DVD / Netflix instant) - Beautifully shot documentary with three stories - a sunni boy in baghdad, the sadrists in basra and the kurds in the north. Crazy stuff there. Nice to see a documentary from an Iraqi perspective for once.

Miss I.
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Now or in the olden days there was a lot of bad product. Now the worst of it ends up in straight to video where back in the day there used to be an intro feature with the big feature following it. I am a big fan of 40s film comedies and noir (though some if it is dated, a big cliche and sometimes cheesy given modern sensibilities). I love Kate Hepburn and Robert Mitchum especially. Now, there are fewer male or females I would say I really love, Jodie Foster is one I can think of, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet. Males are harder to find (Russell Crowe sometimes, he reminds me of Richard Burton or Marlon Brando on occasion). I do like Christian Bale and some smaller character actors like William H. Macy. Clooney is good, he has that Dean Martin thing working for him.

Right now I am on a political kick so I am wanting to see Frost/Nixon and Milk. I also want to see Slumdog Millionaires, The Reader and the one coming out with Kate and Leo.

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Funny, I just had this conversation with my friend Brian. He said that Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Knocked Up and 40 Year old Virgin all fell into that category. I kind of see them as a good compromise, enough stupid boy stuff to make the guys happy, with a bit of a gooey stuff for the girls without being overly sappy (I am not a huge fan of most chick flicks because they all tend to use the same girl cliches, girls get together singing, dancing around at slumber parties, talking about boyfriends...there are a few exceptions). As for this film, I like Paul Rudd, he tends to be a bit ascerbic and I like that, though unfortunately I read he is a Chiefs fan, poor thing.;)

maybe we should get together and talk about it... nekid.

Then we'll turn your name back to Miss B. Haven, wink, wink...

Chris
01-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Milk is an amazing movie...forgot to mention that.

PaintballCLE
01-19-2009, 08:21 PM
saw 5, or saw 76.....one of the two

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-19-2009, 08:22 PM
As noted before, The Wrestler. SOLID flick.

CHANGSTER
01-19-2009, 08:22 PM
I thought Benjamin Button was great. I do have a thing for Cate Blanchett though.
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000949/)

Miss I.
01-19-2009, 08:39 PM
You know, I got a little curious to see what came out this year. There really were some awful movies, plus a lot of things that I never heard of and very few I actually saw or wanted to see. Dark Knight was probably one of my favorite films this year actually.

Chris
01-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm glad to see people here liked Benjamin Button.

I think since 2005 we've had awesome movies come out every year. Before then, there was about a 5 year drought where only utter crap was being shown.

Don Flamenco
01-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Good one mentioning 'The Fall', Slyinky. I almost forgot about that one.

I've seen 7 pounds, Changeling, Benjamin Button, Slumdog Millionaire and Gran Torino.

Gran Torino is by far the best movie out of that bunch with Benjamin Button being a complete waste of 3 hours. It was the only movie out of that bunch that I would not want to watch again.

Spider
01-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I might go see gran Torino ....... I loved the Car so the movie cant be that bad ;D

Kid A
01-19-2009, 09:00 PM
As noted before, The Wrestler. SOLID flick.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to see any other recent releases. Slumdog, Gran Torino, Benjamin Button, and Milk are on my want-to-see list.

Majik
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
The Wrestler and Gran Torino. Both must see movies.

Spider
01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
I am not big on movies or books , but every once in a while one will comeout I want to see , Gran Torino might be the one ....... kind of Leary though cause , Space Cowboys ..........

cutthemdown
01-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd like to see slum dog millionaire

Majik
01-19-2009, 09:07 PM
I am not big on movies or books , but every once in a while one will comeout I want to see , Gran Torino might be the one ....... kind of Leary though cause , Space Cowboys ..........

I'd say Eastwood's more recent movies of Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, and Letters From Iwo Jima are a better comparison than Space Cowboys.

Spider
01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd say Eastwood's more recent movies of Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, and Letters From Iwo Jima are a better comparison than Space Cowboys.

well I havent seen those movies .........So why would I comment on them ? or use them as comparisons?.....use your ****ing head for something besides a hat rack

Taco John
01-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I just got done reading the book "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a very compelling story about a kid who graduates college, and then hits the road for adventure across America. I absolutely loved the book, and so I picked up the movie - Great freaking movie. They did a fantastic job with the story.

Besides that, I'm becoming a big Emile Hirsh fan. He was great in Lords of Dogtown. I thought he did well in Alpha Dog too. This role, however, was special. Especially towards the end of the show. A very believable performance from an up and comer.

I highly recommend this flick.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LAuzT_x8Ek&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LAuzT_x8Ek&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lex
01-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Slumdog Millionaire - currently out in select cities

The most simply entertaining 2 hours ive had at the movies in a long time.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - this movie, while quite hollywood, wowed me with its technology but more so made me sombrely reflect on family and the passage of time. It's a beautiful film.

Gran Torino - Clint Eastwood is my favourite director. He doesn't disappoint here. There's a suprising amout of humour here... and his symbolism is in full force. Great little movie.

Man on Wire (DVD / Netflix instant) - Riveting documentary about the guy that tight roped between the two WTC towers in 74.

Iraq in Fragments (DVD / Netflix instant) - Beautifully shot documentary with three stories - a sunni boy in baghdad, the sadrists in basra and the kurds in the north. Crazy stuff there. Nice to see a documentary from an Iraqi perspective for once.

Two weekends ago I saw Slumdog Millionaire. Its not horrible, in fact, Id say its good. But its also way overhyped for what it is. Theres such a dearth of movies though.

One movie to avoid is Paul Blart. I saw that Saturday. Wow, that sucked.

One movie that Id definitely recommend is Tell No One. Its a french movie that should be showing available on Net Flix soon if its not already. I saw it a few months ago. It was no The Lives of Others but it was an excellent film.

One movie that I want to see is Che.

Spider
01-19-2009, 09:16 PM
I just got done reading the book "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a very compelling story about a kid who graduates college, and then hits the road for adventure across America. I absolutely loved the book, and so I picked up the movie - Great freaking movie. They did a fantastic job with the story.

Besides that, I'm becoming a big Emile Hirsh fan. He was great in Lords of Dogtown. I thought he did well in Alpha Dog too. This role, however, was special. Especially towards the end of the show. A very believable performance from an up and comer.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LAuzT_x8Ek&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LAuzT_x8Ek&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hmmmmmmmm you know I have seen people like that , living life on their terms ...... might be a good movie

Taco John
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM
hmmmmmmmm you know I have seen people like that , living life on their terms ...... might be a good movie

You'd love it Spider. It's right up your alley.

Spider
01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
You'd love it Spider. It's right up your alley.

;D might be better then gran Torino ........

baja
01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Milk and Doubt are both worth seeing

Kid A
01-19-2009, 09:24 PM

I love that movie. Then again, I'm an overly-idealistic, disillusioned college-ager so I'm an easy mark for it, haha.

That said, I think it would appeal to a lot of people--great coming-of-age/American roadtrip film. Also, agreed about Hirsh. This might have been his career defining role, even young as he is.

Spider
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I just read a News story about a woman that disappeared in 1997 ( I forget the country) but she had been living in the woods , they found her good health .... I guess she just wanted to get away, TJ movie is just like that .......

Don Flamenco
01-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I just read a News story about a woman that disappeared in 1997 ( I forget the country) but she had been living in the woods , they found her good health .... I guess she just wanted to get away, TJ movie is just like that .......

hehe

baja
01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
That's plan B for me if the systems break down to live in the wilderness of either Baja or the Olympic Peninsular

SouthStndJunkie
01-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Check out Taken with Liam Neeson, it comes out at the end of the month. I've seen it, don't ask how.

I am looking forward to seeing that movie when it comes out....the previews looked great.

SouthStndJunkie
01-19-2009, 10:13 PM

I really enjoyed the book....but have not seen the movie yet.

SouthStndJunkie
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Saw 'Valkyrie' on Saturday.

I thought Tom Cruise was very good in the role of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.

lex
01-19-2009, 10:19 PM

I thought Tom Cruise was very good in the role of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.

Plus, his accent was spot on.

baja
01-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I want'a see that

Chris
01-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I think I had a special place for slumdog since i was in mumbai a year before the attacks... the memories came back pretty vividly... it was also sad to see the victoria terminus in so many shots (one of the attacks was there). Anyways, I totally loved it. But I'm from Hong Kong and I've grown up around a lot of India culture, with id say 50% indian friends so maybe my taste is quite specific.

Kid A
01-19-2009, 11:06 PM
One movie to avoid is Paul Blart. I saw that Saturday. Wow, that sucked.

One movie that Id definitely recommend is Tell No One. Its a french movie that should be showing available on Net Flix soon if its not already. I saw it a few months ago. It was no The Lives of Others but it was an excellent film.

One movie that I want to see is Che.

Did you actually have expectations going into Paul Blart?:rofl: 30 second ads were more than enough for me.

I've heard good things about Tell No One. I'll have to check that one out. Glad to see someone else here saw Lives of Others. Outstanding film.

Che does look intriguing. I've heard they did a good job of keeping it fairly apolitical (if that is possible in a film about Che) instead of sensationalizing his life, which I tend to prefer in biopics. The Oscar voters apparently can't understand a biopic if there isn't swelling music every other scene or trite speeches at the end to wrap things up, but I appreciate a director that gives the audience enough credit to come to its own conclusion.

lex
01-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Did you actually have expectations going into Paul Blart?:rofl: 30 second ads were more than enough for me.

I've heard good things about Tell No One. I'll have to check that one out. Glad to see someone else here saw Lives of Others. Outstanding film.

Che does look intriguing. I've heard they did a good job of keeping it fairly apolitical (if that is possible in a film about Che) instead of sensationalizing his life, which I tend to prefer in biopics. The Oscar voters apparently can't understand a biopic if there isn't swelling music every other scene or trite speeches at the end to wrap things up, but I appreciate a director that gives the audience enough credit to come to its own conclusion.

I expected something light with some laughs in Paul Blart. My expectations were calibrated for what it appeared to be on ads, but even with somewhat lower standards, it was still a disappontment. You know the plots going to be flimsy but you at least hope for a few laughs but there were very few.

Yeah, Ive taken to watching mostly Indies/arthouse and foreign films (namely french movies). Theyre a lot better than what hollywood is putting out...its been that way for a while actually.

SoCalBronco
01-19-2009, 11:19 PM

Agreed.

BABronco
01-20-2009, 01:00 AM

Agreed... Taken is amazing. I've seen it twice in the last month.

A lovely program for movies or anything would be http://www.graboid.com

slyinky
01-20-2009, 04:26 AM
The Lives of Others was great, I'll have to check out Tell No One. A French film that I would highly recommend is Cache, if you haven't seen it. I also loved Irreversible but can't say that I recommend it on account of it being very disturbing.

Caché / Hidden
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_w0J9myz14I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_w0J9myz14I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Miss I.
01-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Fantastic, this has given me more movies I forgot about. I do want to see Taken too, forgotten about that. The previews look great, but you know I have noticed though there seem to be a lot of good dramas or possibly action flicks, there is a dearth of decent comedies. I mean even last year had Juno which I liked. Still this is a good place to start.

lex
01-20-2009, 05:38 AM
The Lives of Others was great, I'll have to check out Tell No One. A French film that I would highly recommend is Cache, if you haven't seen it. I also loved Irreversible but can't say that I recommend it on account of it being very disturbing.

Caché / Hidden
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_w0J9myz14I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_w0J9myz14I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah, I saw Cache in the theater a couple of years ago. Its ok. I thought it could have been better.

lex
01-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Fantastic, this has given me more movies I forgot about. I do want to see Taken too, forgotten about that. The previews look great, but you know I have noticed though there seem to be a lot of good dramas or possibly action flicks, there is a dearth of decent comedies. I mean even last year had Juno which I liked. Still this is a good place to start.

Have you seen Smart People? It also has Ellen Page in it. I actually thought it was a lot better than Juno. Another good movie that Ive seen recently (thought I think it came out in 07) was The Visitor.

Beantown Bronco
01-20-2009, 06:19 AM
Can't wait for this one:

Knowing

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2330985241/

alkemical
01-20-2009, 06:27 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONQ3Zgy195Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONQ3Zgy195Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VLA0tg5yI0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VLA0tg5yI0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Peoples Champ
01-20-2009, 07:43 AM
saw Gran Turino friday. Excellent flick, one of Eastwoods best.

Good movie, but can definately wait until Rental if you dont want to spend $9 at a theater.

Orange_Beard
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
The Wrestler, great film.

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2009, 08:50 AM

John Krakauer IS the ****znik. I met him at Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder back in the 1990's. I LOVE INTO THE WILD. Into Thin Air is also an incredible book, and I highly recommend it too!

Pseudofool
01-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Thought Benjamin Button was just horrible, had no sense of pacing nor surprise. Fine the first hour, hack-trash the last two. Really shallow.

I saw Doubt, which is a compelling but sobering production--chillingly sad. I was uncomfortable in my seat the whole time; I'd recommend viewing it at home, just because it's an especially sad and conflicted piece.

Br0nc0Buster
01-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Well I have only seen a couple recent movies, and those were the Benjamin Button one, and the Quantum of Solace one.

Both were good IMO, Button was a bit long though.

On a somewhat related note, I just finished watching season 3 of Dexter, that is a good show I recommend it.

ghwk
01-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I got two kid's, I haven't seen a movie in a theater in years that wasn't animated and geared towards a pre teen. It's sad when HBO movies become "first runs". Definately cheaper though!

snowspot66
01-20-2009, 12:10 PM
At least Pixar has your back. Sorry about all the Dreamworks though. Must be rough.

Taco John
01-20-2009, 12:17 PM
John Krakauer IS the ****znik. I met him at Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder back in the 1990's. I LOVE INTO THE WILD. Into Thin Air is also an incredible book, and I highly recommend it too!

I read Into Thin Air this past October. Fascinating book.

El Guapo
01-20-2009, 12:41 PM

The correct terminology is a "bromance." Get with the times. :p

TheChamp24
01-20-2009, 12:47 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONQ3Zgy195Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONQ3Zgy195Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VLA0tg5yI0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VLA0tg5yI0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Watchman looks like its going to be pretty good.

BABronco
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Can't wait for this one:

Knowing

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2330985241/

wow ... that movie looks bad ass!

BABronco
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM

eh .. i have no interest in it what so ever. but ill probably get dragged along by a group of friends ....

BABronco
01-20-2009, 12:51 PM
For all the movie buffs, like myself, you have to check out graboid. This is how I've seen taken. Just go to www.graboid.com

El Guapo
01-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Here's a solid suggestion: The Wackness (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wackness/) , seriously.

Pontius Pirate
01-20-2009, 01:37 PM
There is a movie coming out soon called The Greatest. It was the most talked about film at Sundance this year. Standing ovation. Keep an eye out for it.

Chris
01-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Dexter is the best show on TV.

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
The correct terminology is a "bromance." Get with the times. :p

But, but, but... I don't want to "get with it." At least, not with that...

BABronco
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Dexter is the best show on TV.

Lost is by far

Inkana7
01-20-2009, 06:04 PM
My buddy just told me that he watched a pirated version of Slumdog Millionaire, and it blew him away.

Inkana7
01-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Lost is by far

House/Burn Notice.

Dukes
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not even a Star Trek fan and I'm excited for this movie.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

Directed by J.J. Abrams and stars Syler from Heroes.

SpringStein
01-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I think I had a special place for slumdog since i was in mumbai a year before the attacks... the memories came back pretty vividly... it was also sad to see the victoria terminus in so many shots (one of the attacks was there). Anyways, I totally loved it. But I'm from Hong Kong and I've grown up around a lot of India culture, with id say 50% indian friends so maybe my taste is quite specific.

I agree that if you are really interested and love learning more about other cultures, Slumdog is a must see. One of my favorite movies of the past couple of years...but it won't be for everyone.

broncosteven
01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't know anything new, I also have kids.

The Machinest with Christian Bale surprised me. The sound track was amazing, best since Bernard Herrman's work.

"City of God" was well done but it is subtitled. Kinda like a cross between Scarface and Stand-by me.

I loved "Angel A" - another French Film.

broncosteven
01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm not even a Star Trek fan and I'm excited for this movie.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

Directed by J.J. Abrams and stars Syler from Heroes.

My Highschool friend is working on the production/design side of this movie. Lot of details apparently.

BABronco
01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
House/Burn Notice.

House is really good ... its definitely in the top 10 maybe even top 5. Burn notice, while a entertaining show, has every episode being the same. I could summarize every episode. So as I said, while it is a entertaining show since every episode is the same it shouldnt even be near the top 20.

footstepsfrom#27
01-20-2009, 08:05 PM

Saw it last weekend and was a bit dissapointed. Cruise was fine but the plot left something to be desired.

baja
01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I have never seen Cruise anything but shallow robotic and predictable but he has sure landed some good roles such as Rain Man

Bronco Bob
01-20-2009, 09:18 PM

If it's true to the book it is going to be outstanding.

Wes Mantooth
01-20-2009, 10:28 PM

that movie looks kick a$$. Looks to follow the same formula as The Professional.

yerner
01-20-2009, 10:32 PM
that movie looks kick a$$. Looks to follow the same formula as The Professional.

Saw it. It's exactly what it looks like. Good rental. Brainless entertainment.

BroncsRule
01-20-2009, 11:26 PM
the best show on TV right now is Battlestar Gallactica.

BABronco
01-20-2009, 11:28 PM

:spit: Hilarious! LOL

Hogan11
01-20-2009, 11:33 PM
House/Burn Notice.

Burn Notice...especially since The Shield wrapped things up.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 04:59 AM
Gran Torino and Seven Pounds were both awesome movies.

As for coming soon, I can't wait for the new Wolverine flick and finally a GI Joe movie.

alkemical
01-21-2009, 05:33 AM

eh .. i have no interest in it what so ever. but ill probably get dragged along by a group of friends ....

I'm hoping so. I loved the book* - It honestly was a pretty good story. I don't know how close the movie will come, but Alan Moore's been really prevalent lately in movies.

Miss I.
01-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Burn Notice...especially since The Shield wrapped things up.

gonna have to go with Dexter, though I have to wait until it's on DVD to see it, sighhh. But for no pay cable or regular tv, don't know I have anything I absolutely must see. I like How I met your mother, Colbert Report and Jon Stewart, and Robot Chicken for comedies. And I like Burn Notice too, but again I can't think of anything I think I would miss. Used to watch Grey's Anatomy and CSI: LV (which might be really cool with Larry Fishburne, I love that guy). Sometimes Smallville and Supernatural.

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 06:01 AM
gonna have to go with Dexter, though I have to wait until it's on DVD to see it, sighhh. But for no pay cable or regular tv, don't know I have anything I absolutely must see. I like How I met your mother, Colbert Report and Jon Stewart, and Robot Chicken for comedies. And I like Burn Notice too, but again I can't think of anything I think I would miss. Used to watch Grey's Anatomy and CSI: LV (which might be really cool with Larry Fishburne, I love that guy). Sometimes Smallville and Supernatural.

Wait... you like, How I met your mother? Am I missing something because that show makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

SoDak Bronco
01-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Is the INTERNATIONAL any good?

snowspot66
01-21-2009, 06:50 AM
:spit: Hilarious! LOL

But he's right. It's a bitchin show.

Old Dude
01-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Black Sheep was a masterpiece from 2006. It's on DVD.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Black+Sheep+movie&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DMUS&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

Don Flamenco
01-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Cocaine Cowboys Part 1 & 2 for all you documentary buffs.

The wrestler was good as well.

Gran Torino is still by far the best movie I've seen in a while.

I started watching 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' last night and I stopped watching during the part where Penelope Cruz and Scarlett Johansen is fighting over some dude.

I think any movie with Scarlett Johansen and her machine gun jubblies is a good pick!

Miss I.
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Wait... you like, How I met your mother? Am I missing something because that show makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Don't know, but the guy from Doogie Hower makes me laugh. The others are okay, I like that big guy Marshall sometimes, but that one guy just for whatever reason amuses me. But again, a show I like, but not something I feel particularly attached too. There are shows I love watching over and over (thus the reason I own Dexter 1 and 2, the Monkees season 1 - yes go ahead and mock me, I don't care; Rocky and Bullwinkle Season 1; Buffy and Angel all seasons and would like to buy MASH, Family Guy and a few others when I have the money to waste).

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Don't know, but the guy from Doogie Hower makes me laugh. The others are okay, I like that big guy Marshall sometimes, but that one guy just for whatever reason amuses me. But again, a show I like, but not something I feel particularly attached too. There are shows I love watching over and over (thus the reason I own Dexter 1 and 2, the Monkees season 1 - yes go ahead and mock me, I don't care; Rocky and Bullwinkle Season 1; Buffy and Angel all seasons and would like to buy MASH, Family Guy and a few others when I have the money to waste).

Well the Monkees are epic, I just really don't get that How I Met Your Mother show. You're now the first person I've met that watches it. I ask everyone too, that's my opener.

Rock Chalk
01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Man I read through the first page and did not see one movie on there worth watching.

You people seem to want to pick obscure "critically acclaimed" movies for some reason.

The ONLY reason to go to a movie theater and sit for 2+ hours in an uncomfortable chair paying for overpriced concessions is to see a kick ass hollywood blockbuster full of special effects, loud noises and fantastic situations.

The ONLY reason to rent a DVD is because you are bored.

Wait till it hits the regular channels, DVR it and skip through the commercials for those boring ass "story" driven movies full of symbollic bull**** portrayed by some left wing nutjob.

Taco John
01-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Here's so Alec can participate:

Batman
Indiana Jones
Batman
Spiderman 3
Die Hard 7
Batman

Inkana7
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Man I read through the first page and did not see one movie on there worth watching.

You people seem to want to pick obscure "critically acclaimed" movies for some reason.

The ONLY reason to go to a movie theater and sit for 2+ hours in an uncomfortable chair paying for overpriced concessions is to see a kick ass hollywood blockbuster full of special effects, loud noises and fantastic situations.

Wait till it hits the regular channels, DVR it and skip through the commercials for those boring ass "story" driven movies full of symbollic bull**** portrayed by some left wing nutjob.

You Alec. You all that is man! Explosions! Beer! Guns!

alkemical
01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Here's so Alec can participate:

Batman
Indiana Jones
Batman
Spiderman 3
Die Hard 7
Batman

not enough anime

Beantown Bronco
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
For Alec:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1055369/

Chris
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM

Are you kidding me? The only one that wasn't a huge hollywood movie was Slumdog Millionaire.

Critically acclaimed movies tend be acclaimed because they're good.....

Archer81
01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
I want to see Unborn, Star Trek, Transformers 2, Push, Knowing, and maybe Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.

:Broncos:

Beantown Bronco
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
From the guys who did Superbad:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3214934809/

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 12:28 PM
From the guys who did Superbad:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3214934809/

I LOVE Kristen Wiig.

Are those the same guys that made Role Models? Great movie if you haven't caught it yet. Balls Out is obscure but pretty funny too.

Chris
01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
I wish Kristen Wiig had her own movies. They won't put money behind a female comic in hollywood these days.

vancejohnson82
01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Gran Turino was the ish

broncocalijohn
01-21-2009, 01:42 PM

shows how often he goes out to the movies. Gran Torino was one of the best movies out for last year. I read two bad reviews on google from probably immature, politically correct fish wrap hacks. I know one was from the Bay area so that tells you something. This story is so awesome and the fact the guy that wrote it had never done one before and most of it was in his buddy's bar who got credit for helping him(co-writor). A must see!
On Buttons, my Dad so it and said the first half was great but turned into non believable, chick flick to ruin it.

Anyone see Defiance? I love WW2 movies and this is an untold story for the big screen.

broncocalijohn
01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
I want to see Unborn, Star Trek, Transformers 2, Push, Knowing, and maybe Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.

Part nerd here. Kaylore would probably go with you but remember that he is married or getting married soon so hands off.

Taco John
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Kaylore is getting married again! I thought the mormons stopped that practice? Brave guy... ;)

baja
01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Going to see Benjamin Buttons later today.

Punisher
01-21-2009, 02:16 PM
The new movie Kate Winslet is in is pretty good i forgot the name..

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 02:22 PM

I think it's called, "If you're watching this, you're definitely gay"

Punisher
01-21-2009, 02:25 PM

:rofl: Then call me gay very gay

baja
01-21-2009, 02:28 PM

I have your new name ready;;

Mr. Penis

Chris
01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Revolutionary Road.

You're gay because you like movies about real life instead of giant robots.

Archer81
01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Part nerd here. Kaylore would probably go with you but remember that he is married or getting married soon so hands off.

Hey man, if the popcorn trick works, it works. Cant be responsible for what happens in a dark theater, you know.

Miss I.
01-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Actually she's in 2 movies (both of which I want to see), Revolutionary Road and The Reader, she got awards for both (I was going to say she got 2 golden globes, but given the amount of testosterone on this board I thought that might lead to something unsavory).

Anyway, enjoying good filmmaking (whatever forms that takes, I mean I am not a film snob, I like horror movies for goodness sakes) just means you have a brain. I think the "you are gay response" was someone's way of telling you they wish you would take them to the movie and try the the popcorn trick with them. Just saying. ;)

Archer81
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Actually she's in 2 movies (both of which I want to see), Revolutionary Road and The Reader, she got awards for both (I was going to say she got 2 golden globes, but given the amount of testosterone on this board I thought that might lead to something unsavory).

Anyway, enjoying good filmmaking (whatever forms that takes, I mean I am not a film snob, I like horror movies for goodness sakes) just means you have a brain. I think the "you are gay response" was someone's way of telling you they wish you would take them to the movie and try the the popcorn trick with them. Just saying. ;)

YES~!

TheReverend
01-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Oh absolutely. And he's local. I figure if I play hard to get, I might get oral.

lex
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Has anyone seen Spider Forest? I tried watching it last night but was a little to worn out to make it through. Im going to give it another go tonight, if Im feeling like it. But has anyone seen this?

Miss I.
01-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Has anyone seen Spider Forest? I tried watching it last night but was a little to worn out to make it through. Im going to give it another go tonight, if Im feeling like it. But has anyone seen this?

sorry, haven't seen it myself or even heard of it, what is it about?

lex
01-21-2009, 04:54 PM
sorry, haven't seen it myself or even heard of it, what is it about?

Its supposed to be like Memento and Jacobs Ladder. Its a movie where a guy tries to piece together what happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Forest

Sodak
01-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Kaylore is getting married again! I thought the mormons stopped that practice? Brave guy... ;)

We've got a few hundred of them holed up in their compound just south of here who didn't get that memo.

broncosteven
01-21-2009, 05:39 PM

Dunno, I liked the last movie she was in where she was getting boned on top of the washing machine.

lex
01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Dunno, I liked the last movie she was in where she was getting boned on top of the washing machine.

Little Children?

broncosteven
01-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Little Children?

Yep, she was hot in it. Not Hollywood bombshell hot, more like the Milf down the block hot.

lex
01-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Yep, she was hot in it. Not Hollywood bombshell hot, more like the Milf down the block hot.

You should check out Holy Smoke.

broncosteven
01-21-2009, 06:19 PM
You should check out Holy Smoke.

What is that?

BTW anyone here a Marisa Tome fan?

If so get "Before the devil Knows your dead" she is naked for the 1st 45 min, not just boob shots, thong shots too.

MplsBronco
01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Anyone seen the Korean movie, OLDBOY?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

I would be curious your take if so.

slyinky
01-21-2009, 11:40 PM
I thought it was pretty good, although I don't remember all of it. One film that you might check out is the Korean film A Tale of Two Sisters or Janghwa, Hongryeon . One of my favorite horror films.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMoKAdhXrvk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMoKAdhXrvk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

slyinky
01-22-2009, 12:17 AM

I thought it was really good. There were talks of an American remake but I haven't heard of any developments lately.

Some other Asian films that I would recommend:

Memories of Murder http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353969/

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtOutxGJK5o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtOutxGJK5o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Raise the Red Lantern http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101640/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vivaoPZhIH8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vivaoPZhIH8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Audition (some disturbing scenes)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/

Joint Security Area (same director as Oldboy)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0260991/

slyinky
01-22-2009, 12:21 AM

You might enjoy this film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274518/

Miss I.
01-22-2009, 04:11 AM
What is that?

BTW anyone here a Marisa Tome fan?

If so get "Before the devil Knows your dead" she is naked for the 1st 45 min, not just boob shots, thong shots too.

Holy Smoke is an indie film she did about 10 years ago at least now, I think it's the one where she is naked a bunch with Harvey Keitel, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I saw it. I remember liking the movie, but not a lot about it anymore. If you are just looking to see Kate in states of undress, of course there is a scene in Titanic (a film I don't particularly like except for stage design and special effects--the story is too cliche cheesy for me) and then there is Quills which is kind of about the Maurquid de Sade (though the hook up is between her and Joaquin Phoenix's priest character).

Personally my favorite Kate films so far in no particular order are: Heavenly Creatures, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Finding Neverland, Little Children, Holy Smoke, Enigma and Sense & Sensibility. Looking forward to seeing Revolutionary Road and The Reader.

As for Marisa Tomei, not a big fan, but I am not actually into seeing her naked so I probably wouldn't have cared that much. But she was funny in My Cousin Vinnie (maybe not really Oscar funny, but funny) and I liked this little movie she was in called Happy Accidents. I do want to see the Wrestler, which she's in.

lex
01-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Holy Smoke is an indie film she did about 10 years ago at least now, I think it's the one where she is naked a bunch with Harvey Keitel, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I saw it. I remember liking the movie, but not a lot about it anymore. If you are just looking to see Kate in states of undress, of course there is a scene in Titanic (a film I don't particularly like except for stage design and special effects--the story is too cliche cheesy for me) and then there is Quills which is kind of about the Maurquid de Sade (though the hook up is between her and Joaquin Phoenix's priest character).

Personally my favorite Kate films so far in no particular order are: Heavenly Creatures, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Finding Neverland, Little Children, Holy Smoke, Enigma and Sense & Sensibility. Looking forward to seeing Revolutionary Road and The Reader.

As for Marisa Tomei, not a big fan, but I am not actually into seeing her naked so I probably wouldn't have cared that much. But she was funny in My Cousin Vinnie (maybe not really Oscar funny, but funny) and I liked this little movie she was in called Happy Accidents. I do want to see the Wrestler, which she's in.

Eternal Sunshine is one of my favorites. I liked that movie a lot. I liked Little Children as well.

El Guapo
01-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Lost is by far

incorrect. Battlestar Galactica.

El Guapo
01-22-2009, 06:06 AM

As I read on in the thread I see this. You are a good man. Yes, it is absolutely the best show on TV right now.

BFDD
01-22-2009, 08:00 AM
I think it was last year when Taco showed us Pandora.com for music. There is a website called Criticker.com that allows you to rate movies from 0-100 and gives you matches on movies that it thinks you will like. And it is amazingly close.

The websites Probable Score Indicator(PSI) gives you a score, that score is based on how you have ranked previous movies. The more movies I've ranked, the closer the PSI gets to my actual ranking.

The site will also give you something called a Taste Compatibility Index (TCI). TCI's are people who have ranked movies similarly to what you have ranked movies.

The website is handy when trying to pick out a movie from the theater or something to rent. But one thing that I'm enjoying about it, is the ability to pick up movies from several years ago that I may have never heard of or forgot about and always wanted to see.

here is my profile
http://www.criticker.com/?up=19009

Beantown Bronco
01-22-2009, 08:15 AM
netflix has a similar "recommended for you" mechanism based off your rankings. So far, I've ranked over 1,200 movies and tv shows, so it's got a pretty good handle on what I like and don't like.

OABB
01-22-2009, 09:09 AM

own it. have you seen ichi the killer? it's japanese, but if you like disturbing asian movies, that's a classic.

Kid A
01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Raise the Red Lantern http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101640/

Great film.

A Chinese director I've started to get into is Wong Kar Wai. A little more out there in terms of film structure, but Chungking Express and 2046 were brilliant films, I thought. I've heard In the Mood for Love might be his best, so that's one I want to check out soon.

Chris
01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Wong Kar Wai writes his films as he goes along. That's why it took 5 years to film 2046. Pretty cool.

BABronco
01-22-2009, 02:42 PM
here is my profile
http://www.criticker.com/?up=19009

liking it so far

Miss I.
01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I love this criticker thing. now have a new time waster, lol

Miss I.
01-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Well saw Revolutionary Road yesterday. It was well done, but if you don't enjoy Sam Mendes films you may not enjoy this. He really likes to put Middle America's hypocricies and miseries on film. I wasn't a big fan of American Beauty when it originally came out, but as I as my life has changed so has my perspective on that film to some degree (I still have some issue with Mendes's propensity to be a bit pompous and patronizing in his attitude toward American suburbia, but this film was better I thought). But if you are looking for a happy movie, this is not it.

MechanicalBull
01-24-2009, 07:45 AM
In the past couple weeks I've seen Gran Torino, The Wrestler, and Frost/Nixon. Might go see Slumdog some time next week.

All were good and I thought Gran Torino and Frost/Nixon were real good. I like Marisa Tomei but didn't think she did anything out of the ordinary to garner all the award buzz. Eastwood is Eastwood and just brilliant in Torino and Frank Langella portrayal of Nixon was amazing.

Miss I.
01-24-2009, 07:52 AM
In the past couple weeks I've seen Gran Torino, The Wrestler, and Frost/Nixon. Might go see Slumdog some time next week.

All were good and I thought Gran Torino and Frost/Nixon were real good. I like Marisa Tomei but didn't think she did anything out of the ordinary to garner all the award buzz. Eastwood is Eastwood and just brilliant in Torino and Frank Langella portrayal of Nixon was amazing.

I really, want to see all of those and now they finally have Slumdog closer to my house and the Wrestler. I really want to see Frost/Nixon. Totatally on a political film kick lately, Milk is also on my agenda. It would be nice if a good comedy came out too one of these days (and while I laughed at My Bloody Valentine I don't think they meant it to be funny, it was just stupid).

I will probably go totally mindless and see Friday the 13th (I know, I know, that sounds terrible, but i know what I am getting when I see it, it will be dumb no doubt, I didn't even like the original, but my friend and I really like horror movies and are going to have scary movie all girl slumber party thing).

Anyway good to know about those others from someone else.

MechanicalBull
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I really, want to see all of those and now they finally have Slumdog closer to my house and the Wrestler. I really want to see Frost/Nixon. Totatally on a political film kick lately, Milk is also on my agenda. It would be nice if a good comedy came out too one of these days (and while I laughed at My Bloody Valentine I don't think they meant it to be funny, it was just stupid).

I will probably go totally mindless and see Friday the 13th (I know, I know, that sounds terrible, but i know what I am getting when I see it, it will be dumb no doubt, I didn't even like the original, but my friend and I really like horror movies and are going to have scary movie all girl slumber party thing).

Anyway good to know about those others from someone else.

My dad saw Slumdog yesterday and said it was one of the best movies he's seen in awhile.

Back to Frost/Nixon that movie just had me hooked from the beginning all the way until the end. Going in I said to myself that it will either be good or boring with the whole movie being just a 2 hour interview/conversation between Nixon and Frost.

The whole back story was interesting from who Frost was before the interview to researching bits for the interview and both sides trying to get the upper hand during the sit down. Nixon's phone call in the movie might have been my favorite part.

Miss I.
01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I just saw Slumdog Millionaire (pretty much the only thing there other then Gran Torino) I would want to see (the Castle Rock theatre seems a bit limited and definitely more expensive then theatres in the Spring). It was quite good and to me at any rate it makes me grateful to be American and for the life I have. The abject poverty makes me realize how spoiled we really are. Not that I didn't kind of know that, but this reminded me. It was a great film. I really enjoyed it. And visiting Castle Rock made me realize when I come back to CO, I will be living in Denver, not in Castle Rock unless I come back married because I swear being single here is just odd. It's such a family-married people town (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it's a go to bed early kind of town and I am a night owl). Of course my night out this weekend made me realize I am a pub, sports bar girl, not a "Blondies" dance with 23 year old gay male claiming to be straight kind of club. THere I just felt old and it was expensive for 4 drinks, $50.

Anyway, random thoughts over, Slumdog is a great film

And while I think this is probably a crazed girl film, but I think I need to see my potential life story, "He's just not that into you." :~ohyah!:

DomCasual
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Slumdog Millionaire is a great movie.

It doesn't hurt that Freida Pinto is crazy hot.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/042Wcz75ZIds2/610x.jpg

Miss I.
01-26-2009, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=DomCasual;2267757]Slumdog Millionaire is a great movie.

It doesn't hurt that Freida Pinto is crazy hot.

[QUOTE]

Yes she was quite stunning actually, and so much prettier then pretty much all the bimbos the boys keep posting. She was so pretty, delicate and elegant.

The guys were great actors too, though neither would I say is a threat to the hollywood main stream in terms of looks and since we all know looks are the only thing that matters, it doesn't much matter how great they are as actors. Too bad really. I liked the brothers very much. Anyway, it was a very good film.

kdissette
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
i cant wait for the return of all the horror remakes this year. Friday the 13th looks cool, Nightmare on Elmstreet should be alright, Halloween 2 is gonna rock, a new Texas Chainsaw massacre is on the way, and I heard a rumor that they are gonna remake Hellraiser as well. Hopefully they will be smart and make these movies as bloody as possible without cutting the **** out of them.

Miss I.
01-26-2009, 06:13 PM
i cant wait for the return of all the horror remakes this year. Friday the 13th looks cool, Nightmare on Elmstreet should be alright, Halloween 2 is gonna rock, a new Texas Chainsaw massacre is on the way, and I heard a rumor that they are gonna remake Hellraiser as well. Hopefully they will be smart and make these movies as bloody as possible without cutting the **** out of them.

Hmm, I am going to go see Friday the 13th with a female friend of mine. We are making it a girl's night. She and I like scary movies. So we are going to do the movie, grab some dinner and brews at a new brewery and then head back to my house for a girl's slumber party and watch the remake of Halloween (still prefer the original in most ways). I thought they already remade Texas chainsaw massacre and how can they have a Halloween 2 when she blew his head off in the remake?

kdissette
01-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Hmm, I am going to go see Friday the 13th with a female friend of mine. We are making it a girl's night. She and I like scary movies. So we are going to do the movie, grab some dinner and brews at a new brewery and then head back to my house for a girl's slumber party and watch the remake of Halloween (still prefer the original in most ways). I thought they already remade Texas chainsaw massacre and how can they have a Halloween 2 when she blew his head off in the remake?

First off, that whole slumber party thing is hot.....make sure you videotape it.lol Second, Halloween 2 is just a remake of the old one, and mike myers never dies so.......

Miss I.
01-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Saw Taken today. Excellent film. Action moved, but it was also compelling emotionally. I love Liam Neeson, he needs to be in more films.

Inkana7
01-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Taken looks awesome. I really want to see it.

Chris
01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Hopefully if Taken does well, Neeson will be given more starring roles on big projects (he's got plenty of good starring roles on smaller ones).

ohiobronco2
01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Wolverine. May 1st.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3012297497/

rovolution
01-31-2009, 10:11 PM
just saw Slumdog Millionare.

go see if you havent

gunns
02-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Looking forward to Angels and Demons. Hoping this one goes along with the book.

Miss I.
02-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Hey for anyone interested here is a link to AMC theaters. They are having a Oscar movie day on Feb 21st. $30 for 5 movies, free popcorn and soda I think. In Denver it's at Highlands Ranch AMC. I did this last year and it was fun, but a long day and you should try to bring other food or get out on the break to get real food (the snack stand food sucks and popcorn gets old fast).

http://www.amctheatres.com/promos/showcase/

Beantown Bronco
02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Saw Taken today. Excellent film. Action moved, but it was also compelling emotionally. I love Liam Neeson, he needs to be in more films.

Saw it Saturday. A+ without question.

And, on a personal note, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sporting a semi after the Transformers 2 trailer during the big game last night.

Peoples Champ
02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032755/

Out on Rental, I suggest renting it, there is going to be two more in the series.

ludo21
02-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Gran Torino was awesome. Probably already said, but here it is.

WolfpackGuy
02-02-2009, 09:43 AM
I saw Taken on Friday.
Pretty good movie unless you're an Albanian pimp working in Paris.
On a side note, when the **** did movies get so expensive? It was $10.25 a person!

Punisher
02-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Taken Sucks Trust me

"...another unsavory mix of sentimentality and high-octane seediness from the Luc Besson factory."

Punisher
02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
LMAO I love how the Critics Trash The Uninvited

"...basically 80 minutes of things jumping out and making loud noises."

Archer81
02-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Taken Sucks Trust me
"...another unsavory mix of sentimentality and high-octane seediness from the Luc Besson factory."

She saw the flick, and stated her opinion. If she doesnt think it sucks, then it doesnt suck for her.

Punisher
02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
She saw the flick, and stated her opinion. If she doesnt think it sucks, then it doesnt suck for her.

ok i wasn't trying to be smart ,she gave her opinion then i gave my opinion.Whats the big deal?

Miss I.
02-02-2009, 11:11 AM
ok i wasn't trying to be smart ,she gave her opinion then i gave my opinion.Whats the big deal?

It's okay. honestly. I might be just a tad more sentimental so it worked for me. Plus I fully admit I might be biased for Liam Neeson. I mean, I like Halloween and Psycho, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Princess Bride and old 40s films all at the same time. I am eclectic. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if I know mine is the right one. ;D

gyldenlove
02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Watchmen, if it is done right it should be easily the best superhero movie ever made.

Punisher
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
It's okay. honestly. I might be just a tad more sentimental so it worked for me. Plus I fully admit I might be biased for Liam Neeson. I mean, I like Halloween and Psycho, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Princess Bride and old 40s films all at the same time. I am eclectic. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if I know mine is the right one. ;D

The Holy Grail is one of the funniest movies Ive seen,I like the part with the killer Bunny

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

alkemical
02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Watchmen, if it is done right it should be easily the best superhero movie ever made.

Agreed.

Archer81
02-02-2009, 12:52 PM

I misread, I thought you were telling her it sucks like she didnt see it. My bad.

Miss I.
02-02-2009, 01:04 PM
The Holy Grail is one of the funniest movies Ive seen,I like the part with the killer Bunny

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hee hee Run Away! Run Away! Yeah, I have the bunny slippers and I gave my dad the holy hand grenade of antioch...I am very very goofy.l

MileHighMagic
02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I liked Taken also. It is exactly how the trailer makes it out to be.

Miss I.
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM

And I really am okay with that, but the opinion in quotes was from a Boston Globe author, just saying, that was his opinion first. :D It's okay you used, just thought I would be a little bratty and point out that is where your quote about Luc Besson came from...I am a little bratty sometimes. Not like either opinion will change mine. now, back to being all serious. :welcome:

Archer81
02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Movies I want to see this year:

1. The Unwanted
2. Transformers 2
3. 9
4. Xmen Origins: Wolverine
5. Coraline
6. Bride Wars
7. Star Trek
8. New Moon
9. Taken
10. Night at the Museum 2

I also have a list of video games I want to get in 2009, but this is not the forum for them.

Dagmar
02-02-2009, 02:49 PM

6. Bride Wars

:spit: :spit: :spit:

Are you a chick who HATES quality?

Miss I.
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I got to admit I am a chick, but I dont want to see Bride Wars, it's one of those things that continues the cycle of making women look like insane harpies... I mean it would be like making a movie about all guys wanting sex and big breasted women and alcohol and hunting and sports....oh wait that might be true, strike that. ;)

Archer81
02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
:spit: :spit: :spit:

Are you a chick who HATES quality?

No, a dude who went with a chick and didnt think it was that bad. I am pretty sure if I was straight i'd bone ann hathaway.

Miss I.
02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
No, a dude who went with a chick and didnt think it was that bad. I am pretty sure if I was straight i'd bone ann hathaway.

See now if I was a lesbian, I would probably too, though I think I am more of a Selma Hayek or a Jessica Biel or a Kate Winslet or a Scarlett Johanssen kind of girl. ROFL!

Archer81
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
See now if I was a lesbian, I would probably too, though I think I am more of a Selma Hayek or a Jessica Biel or a Kate Winslet or a Scarlett Johanssen kind of girl. ROFL!

Cant explain it. I like Brunettes. Hayek is another one. I may need to rethink my stance on sexual identity...

broncosteven
02-02-2009, 03:09 PM

She was naked in some movie about rich Teen's in LA in a gang. She was naked a lot, movie stupid, Naked=HOT. She was kinda annoying when she talked though.

broncosteven
02-02-2009, 03:14 PM

1. The Unwanted
2. Transformers 2
3. 9
4. Xmen Origins: Wolverine
5. Coraline
6. Bride Wars
7. Star Trek
8. New Moon
9. Taken
10. Night at the Museum 2

I also have a list of video games I want to get in 2009, but this is not the forum for them.

I think your list is subliminal:

The Unwanted Trannys,
2 holes 9 men
Oral Wolverine & Coraline
Brides Sex Trek
New Moons
Taken from behind one night in the Museum

Archer81
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I think your list is subliminal:

The Unwanted Trannys,
2 holes 9 men
Oral Wolverine & Coraline
Brides Sex Trek
New Moons
Taken from behind one night in the Museum

Damn, and I thought I had a deviant mind...:notworthy

Archer81
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
She was naked in some movie about rich Teen's in LA in a gang. She was naked a lot, movie stupid, Naked=HOT. She was kinda annoying when she talked though.

I want to say Alpha Dog but I dont think thats it.

Miss I.
02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Wasn't anne hathaway naked in Brokeback Mountain? Or was it the Princess Diaries. ;)

Miss I.
02-02-2009, 03:42 PM
She was in fact naked in Brokeback Mountain, but my guess the film you are referring to is a winner called Havoc. See link below:

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2427191577/ (http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK//video/screenplay/vi2427191577/)

Chris
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I tend to agree with critics but I'll see Taken anyway.

Miss I.
02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I tend to agree with critics but I'll see Taken anyway.

Depends, I usually always agree with Entertainment Weekly Critics, but the others are hit or miss. So if I really want to see something, I see it regardless.

Beantown Bronco
02-03-2009, 06:26 AM
I want to say Alpha Dog but I dont think thats it.

That was Olivia Wilde ("13" from the show House)

Olivia Wilde > Anne Hathaway

Chris
02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I've met Olivia Wilde here in NY. She's pretty tall but insanely skinny and those features look very dramatic in person. She's also married.

I'd take Anne Hathaway over her... though I suspect Hathaway doesn't look much better in real life.

Quoydogs
02-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I've met Olivia Wilde here in NY. She's pretty tall but insanely skinny and those features look very dramatic in person. She's also married.

I'd take Anne Hathaway over her... though I suspect Hathaway doesn't look much better in real life.

I went through most of this thred and if I did not see this movie.

Towel Head.

This movie is so messed up that you could start another thred on it alone. I am up for any thing twisted but this movie may go to far. It's about a 13 year old girl that bad bad things happen to. Its from the makers of american beauty and you can tell its along the same lines. Rent it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GkzCroinY

broncosteven
02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
She was in fact naked in Brokeback Mountain, but my guess the film you are referring to is a winner called Havoc. See link below:

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2427191577/ (http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK//video/screenplay/vi2427191577/)

I don't remember her in BM but Havoc sounds about right.

Highly recomend Before the Devil knows you are dead for those that want to see lots of Marisa Tomei naked.

DB Doom
02-03-2009, 11:59 AM
has anyone seen The Wrestler? curious.. and in case its been mentioned already..sorry, too many pages.

Chris
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
has anyone seen The Wrestler? curious.. and in case its been mentioned already..sorry, too many pages.

my brother saw it and said it was a decent film with great casting and an amazing performance by mickey rourke

Ninjatime
02-03-2009, 02:54 PM
My Best Friends Girl was HILARIOUS

Connecticut Bronco Fan
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM

excellent movie, Marrisa Tomei is naked during the entire movie it seems

Killericon
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
The Wrestler was amazing. The last two-three shots of the film were, well, "moving" doesn't seem strong enough.

Beantown Bronco
02-04-2009, 06:06 AM
excellent movie, Marrisa Tomei is naked during the entire movie it seems

It's pretty much become a theme with her last few movies.

MileHighMagic
02-04-2009, 06:31 AM
I thought The Wrestler was about as average as they come. Mickey was really impressive but the movie was forgettable.

DB Doom
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
thx for Wrestler input,...the directer of that there film, Aronofsky, is amazing. he gets the most out of his actors...his last movie, The Fountain was a bit much for some as was Requiem For A Dream (Pi was his first) but you cant deny the acting, and his scores are super tight, usually by Clint Mansell.....who used to be the guy behind Pop Will Eat Itself....anyone, anyone...?

look forward to seeing it.

Chris
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
aronofsky is doing the new robocop movie. i think it comes out next year.

Miss I.
02-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I saw, some chick flick today, "He's Just Not that Into you" or somehting....what is really weird is they were playing it in the IMAX theater...why? don't get that. But it was okay, nothing I will probalby run out and buy and it had some funny moments, but it was just okay. Needed to do something while they take 900 hours to fix my car.

Malcontent
02-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I saw, some chick flick today, "He's Just Not that Into you" or somehting....what is really weird is they were playing it in the IMAX theater...why? don't get that. But it was okay, nothing I will probalby run out and buy and it had some funny moments, but it was just okay. Needed to do something while they take 900 hours to fix my car.

My wife wants to see that..it has tons of B list stars in it, which is a dead giveaway that it might suck.ROFL!

Dexter
02-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Haven't read this thread all the way through so I'm not sure if anyone said anything about Slumdog Millionaire.

Slumdog Millionaire is a definite must watch. If not at the theaters, then to rent.

Just a really good movie, a bit sad overall but really good.

MechanicalBull
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Just saw a real good bootleg copy of Taken and it was an alright film not bad at all. I do have to say that Liam Neeson can play a bad ass if anyone questioned that.

Br0nc0Buster
02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
My wife wants to see that..it has tons of B list stars in it, which is a dead giveaway that it might suck.ROFL!

It also has Ben Affleck

He is a kiss of death if you want your movie to be worth anything

Outside of "Good Will Hunting" he hasnt done anything significant

Miss I.
02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
It also has Ben Affleck

Actually, I thought that one about the guy who played Superman was pretty good. And Chasing Amy I love and Mallrats (hmm sensing a Kevin Smith theme) and Dogma.

And it wasn't all B List: Jennifer Anniston is not really B list, nor is Scarlett Johannson or Drew Barrymore. It was just okay is all.

SoDak Bronco
02-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Just watched "Pride and Glory" with Edward Norton , NYPD blue movie w/ cops gone bad. Pretty well done movie. acting was really good, plot was intense, and isn't a bad flick. Worth seeing.

DomCasual
02-06-2009, 09:32 PM
We just saw Push.

It was two hours of my life I'll never get back.

Northman
02-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Watchmen,

Everything else will be irrelevant until i see this movie. lol

MechanicalBull
02-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Just watched "Pride and Glory" with Edward Norton , NYPD blue movie w/ cops gone bad. Pretty well done movie. acting was really good, plot was intense, and isn't a bad flick. Worth seeing.

I got that and RocknRolla earlier this week from Netflix and both weren't bad at all.

I agree with Pride and Glory for the most part except I thought it dragged a little in the middle but it was good though.

RocknRolla starts out slow but it gives you the backstory at what is going on in the movie and then it picks up with a good ending.

elsid13
02-07-2009, 06:50 AM

That is the movie, and it plays on IFC once to twice a month. Movie is so-so, and it does have mature theme, with a couple of sex scenes.

DB Doom
02-07-2009, 07:34 AM
It also has Ben Affleck

while i agree with this statement mostly, he wasnt too bad in Changing Lanes, and he totally achieved with Gone Baby Gone..his brother obviously has the acting chops, Ben has talent...Hollywood tried to make him a leading man...it didnt work...

Miss I.
02-07-2009, 08:22 AM
It also has Ben Affleck

while i agree with this statement mostly, he wasnt too bad in Changing Lanes, and he totally achieved with Gone Baby Gone..his brother obviously has the acting chops, Ben has talent...Hollywood tried to make him a leading man...it didnt work...

For a while i would agree with this....Gigli which I rented really and truly was the worst piece of filmmaking possibly in the history of movies.

However:
i still think a few of his collaborations with Kevin Smith were good: (NOT Jersey Girl) but Chasing Amy and Dogma were quite good. And mallrats his part was small but funny.

Also Hollywoodland was very good I thought, very 40s noir and he was very believeable as a frustrated B movie actor (go figure).

And some of his other stuff (more supporting roles, he's better in those I think):
School Ties,
Dazed and Confused
Glory Daze

Now, I do think Matt Damon is a much better actor, but he went through a stupid movie phase too.

MechanicalBull
02-07-2009, 09:31 AM
For a while i would agree with this....Gigli which I rented really and truly was the worst piece of filmmaking possibly in the history of movies.

However:
i still think a few of his collaborations with Kevin Smith were good: (NOT Jersey Girl) but Chasing Amy and Dogma were quite good. And mallrats his part was small but funny.

Also Hollywoodland was very good I thought, very 40s noir and he was very believeable as a frustrated B movie actor (go figure).

And some of his other stuff (more supporting roles, he's better in those I think):
School Ties,
Dazed and Confused
Glory Daze

Now, I do think Matt Damon is a much better actor, but he went through a stupid movie phase too.

I wonder if he even mentions to anyone that he did Stuck on You.
http://i43.tower.com/cover-art/mm106992697/stuck-on-you-matt-damon-dvd-cover.jpg

But I think he did have a pretty good and funny suprise cameo in Eurotrip
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Vyj1C8ogtE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Vyj1C8ogtE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ShutDownPoster
02-07-2009, 10:07 AM
About the Wrestler, anybody know anything about how Mickey Rourke bulked up for that? And does he have friends at BALCO?

Quoydogs
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
About the Wrestler, anybody know anything about how Mickey Rourke bulked up for that? And does he have friends at BALCO?

I am telling you guys, If you want to see a really good flick that is very very twisted see Towel Head. It is so messed up that I am still talking about it a week later. Here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GkzCroinY

MechanicalBull
02-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Nothing has been confirmed but rumors have been out for awhile that he did some steroids. http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/2009/01/14/20090114rourke.html
Mickey Rourke has hinted he took steroids for his role in 'The Wrestler'.

The actor has revealed he piled on the pounds for his role as Randy 'The Ram' Robinson in the acclaimed movie - which earned him a Golden Globe award on Sunday - by eating up to seven meals a day and training hard with an Israeli cage fighter.

But Rourke, 56, has suggested he had additional help creating his hulking physique with banned body-building substances.When asked if he used steroids to bulk up, Rourke told Men's Journal magazine: "When I'm a wrestler, I behave like a wrestler."

ShutDownPoster
02-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Nothing has been confirmed but rumors have been out for awhile that he did some steroids. http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/2009/01/14/20090114rourke.html

No doubt about that - expecially considering his age and that he's a 'method actor'. He looked freakish.

Miss I.
02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I am trying to figure out what happened to his face, I mean I know he boxed, but I think there must be some messed up plastic surgery involved.

DomCasual
02-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I am trying to figure out what happened to his face, I mean I know he boxed, but I think there must be some messed up plastic surgery involved.

I've decided most plastic surgery is a bad idea. It's the same thing with hair pieces. Maybe there are really good hair pieces; but you don't notice them because they are, you know, really good. All I know is that I can spot most hair pieces from 80 feet away. It always makes me wonder if a person is so delusional and paranoid about their looks that they become completely unaware of their ridiculousness.

Substitute "plastic surgery" for "hair pieces," and you have the same concept.

MechanicalBull
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM

Just earlier this week there was this show called something like When Plastic Surgery Goes Wrong. It featured all different celebs and one of them was Rourke. They were talking about how he boxed and how we had a bad surgery and gotten work done way too many times.

DB Doom
02-07-2009, 12:36 PM
back to ol Ben for a sec..i knew i forgot one..Dazed and Confused. That is a gem i recently got on Criterion, such a classic film...Rourke pretty much said he did some "steroids"...he also actually cuts himself in the film, like wrestlers do..(gigging)..he's the ****..crazy bastard.

DB Doom
02-07-2009, 12:42 PM
watch Bottle Rocket..its very funny with nice doses of heart spread about..its Owen Wilson and his brother in their first movie i think.

Crushaholic
02-07-2009, 02:21 PM

I was about to mention Hollywoodland before I saw your post. I thought it was very good. Of course, I generally love movies based on real life events...

Broncoman13
02-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Getting ready to go see a movie. Deciding between Taken, Gran Torino, Push and Slumdog Millionaire.

I'd like to see Gran Torino and will see it eventually. Wife wants to see Taken and I know that I will enjoy that as well. Push looks pretty cool but a lot of people didn't care for it... Why? Slumdog looks like it will be good but I think I'll wait for it to come out on Blueray.

Is Gran Torino sad? Are we better off seeing Taken?

Miss I.
02-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Here's my take, take it for what it's worth:
1. I enjoyed Taken, it has action and sentiment. Liam Neeson kicks serious butt and I liked it.
2. No opinion on Push or Gran Torino, haven't seen them.
3. Slumdog is probably my favorite Oscar film of the year. Well acted, interesting, a bit sad at points, but good.

Of those Taken is good on the big screen, I am thinking knowing what I do Gran Torino is probably a rental. Slumdog is kind of cool on the big screen because of the scenery in India and some of the action sequences.

You might ask Nancy boy his take, he seems to be fairly smart on movies and I tend to agree with him on a lot.

ShutDownPoster
02-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Here's my take, take it for what it's worth:
1. I enjoyed Taken, it has action and sentiment. Liam Neeson kicks serious butt and I liked it.2. No opinion on Push or Gran Torino, haven't seen them.
3. Slumdog is probably my favorite Oscar film of the year. Well acted, interesting, a bit sad at points, but good.

Of those Taken is good on the big screen, I am thinking knowing what I do Gran Torino is probably a rental. Slumdog is kind of cool on the big screen because of the scenery in India and some of the action sequences.

You might ask Nancy boy his take, he seems to be fairly smart on movies and I tend to agree with him on a lot.

I'd put the body count at about 40+

Broncoman13
02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Just got home from watching Taken. Predictable but fun and full of action. Reviews said B+ which sounds about right. Wife enjoyed it as well since she was in the mood for an action flick.

alkemical
02-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Watchmen,

Everything else will be irrelevant until i see this movie. lol

I just hope it's not a hack job. The book was phenom.

Br0nc0Buster
02-09-2009, 10:09 AM
I saw Slumdog Millionaire

It got talked up by a lot of people as like one of the greatest movies ever, I dont think I saw a bad review.

It was a decent movie, but nothing too special IMO

Killericon
02-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I just hope it's not a hack job. The book was phenom.

If it sucks, there will be riots.

alkemical
02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
If it sucks, there will be riots.

Even though Moore didn't like what was done with V, i thought V the movie wasn't bad for a movie being made from a book...if that makes sense.

Dagmar
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Even though Moore didn't like what was done with V, i thought V the movie wasn't bad for a movie being made from a book...if that makes sense.
They have fiddled with the ending apparently.

alkemical
02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
They have fiddled with the ending apparently.

They did, and as the author - i understand Moore's sentiment towards it. But, as far as being a "movie" (a different medium than a book/graphic novel) - i thought it was "good" for being a movie.

Most artists will hate anything that anyone does to their material as blasphemy. Stephen King hated The Shining. But as a movie, i think it did a good job for what the book was like.

Dagmar
02-09-2009, 10:53 AM
They did, and as the author - i understand Moore's sentiment towards it. But, as far as being a "movie" (a different medium than a book/graphic novel) - i thought it was "good" for being a movie.

Most artists will hate anything that anyone does to their material as blasphemy. Stephen King hated The Shining. But as a movie, i think it did a good job for what the book was like.

Sorry, I meant Watchmen, not V. I have seen all the "art of" etc books that are coming out next week, the movie does not end like the book.

Fanboys will riot. Maybe.

Dagmar
02-09-2009, 10:57 AM

You can make good movies from books. Stephen King's Shining the tv movie was bloody awful. That one was faithful to the book. Shawshank, Carrie, Misery, Stand By Me, the Green Mile. Good movies from his books.

Alan Moore has removed himself as a credit from Watchmen, and is giving all of his profits from the movie to Dave Gibbons.

alkemical
02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Sorry, I meant Watchmen, not V. I have seen all the "art of" etc books that are coming out next week, the movie does not end like the book.

Fanboys will riot. Maybe.

Sometimes it is interesting to see how things change for a movie. Besides, the books still exist. ;)

You can make good movies from books. Stephen King's Shining the tv movie was bloody awful. That one was faithful to the book. Shawshank, Carrie, Misery, Stand By Me, the Green Mile. Good movies from his books.

Alan Moore has removed himself as a credit from Watchmen, and is giving all of his profits from the movie to Dave Gibbons.

Agreed, and interesting on what more did with his profits.

Dagmar
02-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Sometimes it is interesting to see how things change for a movie. Besides, the books still exist. ;)

Of course, but the final chapter of Watchmen is incredibly important to the whole story.

Moore must have given up millions of dollars.

alkemical
02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Of course, but the final chapter of Watchmen is incredibly important to the whole story.

Moore must have given up millions of dollars.

Oh, i'm not disagreeing with you one bit.

TheReverend
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Who the hell are Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons?

lex
02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
watch Bottle Rocket..its very funny with nice doses of heart spread about..its Owen Wilson and his brother in their first movie i think.

Bottle Rocket is a misnomer if there ever was one. Its called Bottle Rocket but the story flows like a bottle floating in the ocean. Ive tried watching it a few times but it just seems kind of slow moving. Its not Gerry(Matt Damon/Casey Affleck) slow but its still slow.

alkemical
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gibbons

Dagmar
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM

http://www.focoproject.com/imagenes/libros/watchmen.jpg

Pontius Pirate
02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Just heard that Universal is turning this into a movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=larWIi0I0VA

Could actually wind up being pretty bad ass. The guy who did the Bourne Ultimatum is writing the script and the director from Friday Night Lights is directing

DB Doom
02-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Bottle Rocket is a misnomer if there ever was one. Its called Bottle Rocket but the story flows like a bottle floating in the ocean. Ive tried watching it a few times but it just seems kind of slow moving. Its not Gerry(Matt Damon/Casey Affleck) slow but its still slow.

geez, nothing is that slow, and Bottle Rocket isnt my fav movie or nothing but i just saw it again recently and thought worth mentioning...for a laugh try The Foot Fist Way..f'in hilarious.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3440/footfistwayposterhc6.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

Beantown Bronco
02-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I simply can't believe with all the Jessica Biel fans here that nobody has mentioned Powder Blue yet:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K-kTOP9mgNc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K-kTOP9mgNc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Miss I.
02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Movies coming out and if I want to see them:
Opening March 4, 2009

12 (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809981997/info) Maybe, looks like an interesting drama, small film so don't know if it will have large screeningOpening March 6, 2009

All About Steve (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809918083/info) - Yes
Watchmen (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808406490/info) -Yes
Everlasting Moments (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810022136/info) -ehhh, maybe video
The Horsemen (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809823976/info) - yes
Tokyo! (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809922970/info) - NoOpening March 13, 2009

The Last House on the Left (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810003872/info) - Yes
Miss March (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810062969/info) -No
A Perfect Getaway (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810035233/info) - Yes
Race to Witch Mountain (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810007766/info) - a remake of a kids' film, probably not
Tokyo Sonata (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810024397/info) -noOpening March 20, 2009

Duplicity (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810049115/info) - Yes
I Love You, Man (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810022085/info) - yes
Knowing (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810034384/info) - no
The Great Buck Howard (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809736206/info) - maybe
Sex Positive (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809994570/info) - yes
Sin Nombre (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810048928/info) - maybeOpening March 27, 2009

12 Rounds (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809995412/info) - No
The Accidental Husband (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809791228/info) - Yes
Adventureland (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809942145/info) - No
Janky Promoters (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810045668/info) - No
Monsters vs. Aliens (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809918074/info) - No
The Education of Charlie Banks (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809712197/info) - MaybeOpening April 3, 2009

Fast & Furious (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809989992/info) - no
Alien Trespass (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809947192/info) - No
Paris 36 (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809914572/info) - maybe
Sugar (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809922998/info) -nopeOpening April 8, 2009

Dragonball Evolution (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809961064/info) noOpening April 10, 2009

The Hannah Montana Movie (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810025272/info) Hell no
Observe and Report (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810025224/info) maybe