PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl meat market results

PRBronco
01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Weigh-In.php

This is always funny, looks like no one had man boobs this year.

U4EA
01-19-2009, 10:42 PM
A kicker with a a poor upper body? Critical!

BroncoDoug
01-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Ray Ray has a small lower body! Bust!!

chickennob2
01-20-2009, 03:55 AM
Also a good take:

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2009_senior_bowl_weigh-in_notes/

Rohirrim
01-20-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm tellin' ya, the Broncos should forget about Rey, trade down and pick up Cushing and Matthews.

Broncoman13
01-20-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm tellin' ya, the Broncos should forget about Rey, trade down and pick up Cushing and Matthews.

A very good idea. I am anxious to see how Raji grades out as well. It's possible that we could get both Raji and Mathews and/or Cushing. I think that would be a tremendous boost to our interior defense... Raji and Cushing that is. Mathews will likely end up being a 3-4 ROLB and will probably make his living getting 8 or 9 sacks a season from that spot. Cushing would offer the strength necessary to play that 3-4 SILB spot which would allow DJ to play the WILB. Raji is the key though... as is Ron Brace who could very well be a 3-4 NT as well.

Still have to address the safety position which can be done in free agency. And, while it wouldn't be popular on the Mane... A RB in the first could be an option as well. I still have a gut feeling that we'll take Beanie Wells if he's available at #12. Far from our #1 need but it fits in line with what Pat Bowlen is trying to do this offseason, which is renew the fan's energy in the Broncos. As we all know, defense wins championships, but offense puts butts in the seats. I personally will feel a lot better going into the draft if we make a splash in FA with a safety, 3-4 DE, and a RB like Ward. That would allow us to focus on LB and DT in the draft!

no-pseudo-fan
01-20-2009, 06:33 AM
I watched some of it yesterday on NFL Network. Chung looked pretty good in space. Raji looked good, as did Brace. There was a guy out of Penn State that was killing it in 1 on 1 line drills. He was so fast off the ball.

cmhargrove
01-20-2009, 06:41 AM

:thumbs:

I agree wholeheartedly. Rey should be a good nfl player - I just don't know that he will be "great." I like Cushing, and getting extra second/third round picks would be awesome to this team. We could come out of the first day with LB, DT, S (even RB or Center) and ge looking really good.

Unfortunately, Cushing might be one of those guys that leapfrogs up the draft board like Mayo did last year. First he was seen as a late first rounder or early second rounder, then he shot up the boards and was taken higher than most people expected by the Pats.

Cushing might just leapfrog Rey before its all said and done.

ludo21
01-20-2009, 06:45 AM
im interested in Clay MAtthews now.. Where is his projection? Can we get him in the 2nd?

Cushing could jump Rey, I agree there.

cmhargrove
01-20-2009, 06:59 AM
McShay's Senior Bowl Day 1 video Report Card

http://videos.espn.com/m/video/21772766/mcshay_s_senior_bowl_day_1_report_card.htm?pageid= 37337

He says Raji was the best defensive player on the field.

no-pseudo-fan
01-20-2009, 07:02 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. Rey should be a good nfl player - I just don't know that he will be "great." I like Cushing, and getting extra second/third round picks would be awesome to this team. We could come out of the first day with LB, DT, S (even RB or Center) and ge looking really good.

Unfortunately, Cushing might be one of those guys that leapfrogs up the draft board like Mayo did last year. First he was seen as a late first rounder or early second rounder, then he shot up the boards and was taken higher than most people expected by the Pats.

I was saying this after the Rose Bowl. Rey didn't look very good. Cushing and Mathews were much better. Cushing has had injury issues, I would love to see us get Mathews in the 3rd.:wiggle:

elsid13
01-20-2009, 07:03 AM
McShay's Senior Bowl Day 1 video Report Card

http://videos.espn.com/m/video/21772766/mcshay_s_senior_bowl_day_1_report_card.htm?pageid= 37337

He says Raji was the best defensive player on the field.

I would agree with him. Raji was having his way with Mack and Unger when they lined up as Guards. But also think once the o-line gets back in swing of things that Raji will struggle a little more.

lex
01-20-2009, 07:15 AM
im interested in Clay MAtthews now.. Where is his projection? Can we get him in the 2nd?

Cushing could jump Rey, I agree there.

It depends on how excited you make him. If you make him REALLY excited, he's pretty good at hitting you in the eye.

SpringStein
01-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Cushing will most likely go in the first round. Matthews, as of now, is projected in the first half of the 3rd.

no-pseudo-fan
01-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Matthews is going to be a player. Teddy Bruski-style player. Not the greatest athlete, but gives it everything that he has every play. He is hard nose and smart.

Mediator12
01-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Cushing will most likely go in the first round. Matthews, as of now, is projected in the first half of the 3rd.

I have seen Matthews much higher than that and I think he will go in the second after this week. I was talking to bpc about him and he is so damn versatile that an attacking team will overvalue him because he can play with his hand down, standing up, and cover. A team like NYG, PHI sitting at the end of round 2 will prevent him going any further than that IMHO.

Perfect example of who Clay Matthews reminds me of is Stewart Bradley from nebraska a few years ago. I loved him in that draft and PHI took him and converted him from OLB/DE to Mike in that scheme. Almost the exact same skill set, but he is a fabulous pass rusher from LB. That is where the value is going to be.

MagicHef
01-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Herman Johnson | L.S.U. | 6073 | 382 | 36 | 11 1/4
Notes: Massive with LOTS of bulk.

Whoa.

socalorado
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
It depends on how excited you make him. If you make him REALLY excited, he's pretty good at hitting you in the eye.

I am excited that Lex is excited to be excited about the exciting opportunity to draft as exciting a player as Cushing! Its all very excit.......ok ;)

socalorado
01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I was saying this after the Rose Bowl. Rey didn't look very good. Cushing and Mathews were much better. Cushing has had injury issues, I would love to see us get Mathews in the 3rd.:wiggle:

Rey led the team with Cushing in tackles. Remember, the game was a BLOW OUT at half time. I think some guys were a little more cautious in the 2nd half.

no-pseudo-fan
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Rey led the team with Cushing in tackles. Remember, the game was a BLOW OUT at half time. I think some guys were a little more cautious in the 2nd half.

That's not what I saw. I watched Rey on most plays, and I didn't see anything. We will see through the week, but Cushing and Matthews seem like better bets, especially Matthews in the 3rd.

gyldenlove
01-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Comparing Cushing and Mayo is like comparing Mustard and something that is not even yellow. Meyo had superior athleticism, not something that plagues Cushing, he lead his team in tackles, not something Cushing does, he only had one injury requiring surgery, a problem Cushing wish he had.

Cushing is too slow to be a linebacker, but not a good enough pass rusher to be a DE. The only position he could probably play somewhat well is a 3-4 outside LB who either plays the run or pass rush, similar to Shawne Merriman but without the pass rush ability.

cmhargrove
01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Comparing Cushing and Mayo is like comparing Mustard and something that is not even yellow. Meyo had superior athleticism, not something that plagues Cushing, he lead his team in tackles, not something Cushing does, he only had one injury requiring surgery, a problem Cushing wish he had.

Cushing is too slow to be a linebacker, but not a good enough pass rusher to be a DE. The only position he could probably play somewhat well is a 3-4 outside LB who either plays the run or pass rush, similar to Shawne Merriman but without the pass rush ability.

Please read the previous post.

I didn't say Cushing was like Mayo at all, period.

I said Cushing might leapfrog a few other LB's in the draft like Mayo did. That is all.

ohiobronco2
01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Whoa.

Yeah, Herman Johnson is a big boy. Just about anybody should be able to shed him though. ::)

MagicHef
01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, Herman Johnson is a big boy. Just about anybody should be able to shed him though. ::)

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=426&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=1712946

PRBronco
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Aww, so much for my plan to have him play nose tackle :(

BroncoBuff
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm tellin' ya, the Broncos should forget about Rey, trade down and pick up Cushing and Matthews.Yeah, I've cooled on Maualuga quite a lot here lately. The SC defense was so loaded with studs, and that warps an evaluation of especially a MLB ... because you see him chase down a ballcarrier and pound him - but you forget that the rest of the studs on D made it possible. As a 3-4 MLB in the NFL, he can expect to be pounded by O-linemen on almost every play, and I'm not sure he's ready for it.

He's not making much of an impression in Mobile so far:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7405/36922867hr9.jpg

ohiobronco2
01-20-2009, 02:29 PM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=426&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=1712946

:rofl:

Inkana7
01-20-2009, 07:05 PM

Jesus, someone holds a grudge.

ohiobronco2
01-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Jesus, someone holds a grudge.

I get tired of you taking shots at the program I follow whenever the opportunity presents itself. I tried to take it in stride, but becomes rather annoying after awhile. I know as a fan, I can't look at OSU players objectively, but as somebody who hates the same university, I think your perspective is also tainted. You used a stupid example and I called you out on it. Laurinaitis isn't going to win a battle against Johnson, but neither would your boy Spikes, or the incredible Rey Rey.